Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Lease Questions

Comments

• l3gendaryl3gendary Member Posts: 9
    Definitely through the dealer. It makes no difference to be honest since when you apply for leasing through the bmwusa, it just tells you if your credit is approved and at what tier, then assigns you a dealership. Leasing is a different animal from purchasing, it's much more numbers and homework to get a great lease deal. You mentioned not wanting to spend time at the dealership, I feel the same exact way. I actually went to the individual bmw site for various dealerships from my area (up to an hor away) and used the online chat and asked for the internet sales manager and asked them to email me quotes. I probably contacted at least 10 dealerships via email (never giving out personal #) and got a great deal! Placed an order and picking up at the end of the year!
    I'll try to help as much as I can
    What is msrp? selling pice? How much down payment? Any incentives, there is holiday credit right now?
  • rswilson16rswilson16 Member Posts: 2
    MSRP is $46,695. Holiday cash ($1000) plus owner loyalty discount ($750) and additional $1750 dealer rebate brings sale price to $43,195. $2500 due at signing.
    Double check bmwconfig.com to see exactly the msrp on that options you selected. I'm not getting $46,695 on my calculation. I'm actually off by a few thousand unless you forgot to add a few options you listed.

2013 328i
    Sport Line
    Leather
    heated seats
    Nav
    BMW apps

has a MSRP of $41,745. That is almost a difference of $5000!
    MSRP of $41,745 should have a selling price around $39k before any of your incentives

Sounds like dealer is marking up the MSRP and making it sound he is giving you "dealer discount"
  • bella30bella30 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know what the current (December 2012) money factor and residual percentage is for a 2013 328i BMW 36 month lease, 10,000 miles - Los Angeles, California with high credit score (800)?
  • zatireszatires Member Posts: 39
    So dealer gave you a discount of $500 off MSRP and you got a car.
    I will not call this a good deal, more like a bad deal.
    The Holiday cash and Loyalty are BMW rebates, dealer mainly pocketed all of them. It is not what dealer discounts, it is directly what BMW discounts. You could have gone for 6.5% off MSRP plus the BMW rebates.

The pickup of lease payments might have been the benefactor, but that has to do with the used car department not the new car department.
  • jddssc121jddssc121 Member Posts: 151
    their highest tier (best rates) start @ 675.... so it doesn't matter if your score is 676 or 850....
  • bella30bella30 Member Posts: 2
    I understand, but I would really like to know if anyone knows what the current money factor and residual percentage rate is for a 2013 328i. Thank you
  • jddssc121jddssc121 Member Posts: 151
    car_man will have to confirm, but I believe it is .0013 and 61% for a 10K/year
  • lindawalindawa Member Posts: 23
    I would like to know how to calculate the money factor. I got a quote today and i would like to figure out the money factor. Thanks....
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi sk17. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 328i xDrive Sedan with 12,000 miles per year are .00130 and 60% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

There is a $1,000 cash incentive on leases of this car right now. Make sure to take it into account during your negotiations.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hi bubulik. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24-month lease of a 2013 335i Sedan with 15,000 miles per year are .00130 and 64% respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are .00130 and 58%.

The numbers for the 2013 model are .00115 and 65% for 24 months and .00115 / 59% for 36 months.

I doubt that there's too many 2012s out there any more, but you might be able to find a couple here and there.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi hugene1. Let me begin by saying that in my opinion $4,200 is too much money to put down on a lease. I always advise consumers to put as little money down as possible when leasing. Consumers who make large down payments on leases risk losing part or all of the money that they put down if their vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered.

I'm not sure what you mean about a money factor of 1.44. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate for a 39-month lease of this car is .00130. Make sure that the dealer uses that to calculate your payment.

As far as this car's selling price goes, there is probably a spread of a little over $4,000 between this car's MSRP and dealer invoice price. Add to that the $1,000 cash incentive that is available on this model and there's a total of around $5,000 to play with in your negotiations. You were quoted a discount of $3,095, that's probably around $2,000 over invoice. If you are in an area that has a decent level of competition, you may be able to do better than that. I personally would shoot for $500 to $1,000 over.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi bubulik. The money factor that you were quoted is way out of whack. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor for this model is only .00115. Make sure that the dealer uses the buy rate to calculate your car's payment.

As far as the selling price goes, shoot for $500 or so over invoice on a leftover model like this. You can look up this car's exact invoice price over in the new vehicle pricing section of this site.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey jddssc121. BMW's December lease program is exactly the same as its November program was. The holiday cash is still the same as well.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi bella30. BMW Financial Services' December buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 2013 328i Sedan with 10,000 miles per year are .00130 and 61% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
  • alexwalex1alexwalex1 Member Posts: 33
    I am negotiating a lease on 2013 328 i and wodner if what I am getting is a reasonable deal. Whiel MSRP, selling price, MF, residual seem to be in line, monthyl payment appears tobe high

MSRp 42195
    Invoice 38845
    Selling 40500
    Credits: -1000 holiday cash and -750 loyalty rebate
    Residual 25320
    MF 0.0013
    Monthly payment $500.66 incl tax ( or 470.77 without tax)

Inception fees are:
    Tax on rebate of $1,750.00 @ 6.35%
    $111.13

Conveyance fee:
    $499.00
    S 31.69 (sales tax)

Monthly Payment is $500.66
    $470.77
    $ 29.89 (sales tax)

Registration
    $175.00

Total due at inception
    $1,317.48

The $725 aquisition fee is rolled into cap cost which ends up being 40500-1000-750+725=39475

When I calculate lease using my understanding of how it is done, my monthly payment should be $432.67 plus tax. I think dealer can sell car lower than 40,500 too, but if I were to get my total lease price to $450, then I think the deal would be worthwhile.

Any opinions would be welcome.

Thank you
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,359
    I see by your tax rate & use of the word conveyance fee ($499) that we are most likely residents of the same state (CT). I live in Stamford & prefer to do my car shopping in NY where the doc fee is limited to $75 + a $12.50 tire disposal fee. I bought my 2011 328xi @ Wide World BMW in Spring Valley, NY. There are also plenty of dealers in Westchester that are also always hungry for business.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    When I do your math, I get $477.50 plus tax, which is about $7 higher than their payment...

But, I also get a residual that is different by $3, from yours.. so, I wonder if there is a typo in the numbers, somewhere.. Also, are you sure the MF isn't .00135?

I don't think that $1650 over invoice is a killer deal, considering the $500 doc (conveyance) fee.. And, as nyccarguy noted, with that terminology, it looks like you are in CT...

A lot of dealers to choose from up there.. shop it around..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• lindawalindawa Member Posts: 23
    Hi,
    Does anyone have any thoughts on the lease special from socal bmw for the 2013 328i sedan premium package. It was for $339 month 39 months 10,000 miles and $3814 due at signing. I have more specific's on a previous post. I would really appreciate the feedback.

Thanks
  • bingzongbingzong Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2012
    Hi, Carman:

I'm about to lease a 2013 335i in Chicago area this month (DEC 2012). I'm considering both 36 and 39 months. Which lease term gives me a better chance to get a better deal when the lease is up?

Assume the term you recommend, can you please provide me the MF and Residual for both 12000 miles per year and 15000 miles per year?

Thanks very much. I appreciate your time.
  • ckj1ckj1 Member Posts: 2
    What is the Holiday Cash incentive on a 2012 328i? I believe it is 1000 on 2013's, didn't know if it was the same. Thanks!
    For some reason the money factor for the '13 328i Sedan is slightly lower than normal at .00130, so that number's OK.

Car_man
    Host
    edited December 2012
    Hi bingzong. That's an interesting way of looking at it...you're thinking about the future rather than right now. I like it. December seems to be by far the best month of the year to get a new vehicle so in those terms you'd probably be better off going with a 36-month lease instead of a 39-month lease. Of course, when talking about future incentives I always have to add the disclaimer that it is impossible to know exactly what an automaker will do with their programs several years from now.

Having said that, the 39-month term will probably yield a slightly lower monthly payment right now.

BMW Financial Services' current 36-month buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 335i Sedan with 15,000 miles per year are .00130 and 58% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

Car_man
    Host
    Greetings ckj1. There is no holiday cash on 2012 models. In fact, there probably really isn't that many '12s out there right now.

Car_man
    Host
  • ckj1ckj1 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the info!

The dealership near me has 12 2012 328i's left. The one I am interested in is a sedan, Premium Package, Technology Package and BMW Assist w/ enhanced Bluetooth...

They have this on their website:
    MSRP $43,495
    Savings -$4,250
    Price $39,245

I e-mailed and stated I would do $38,200 (yesterday I visited a showroom and they told me there was $1500 holiday cash but only quoted MSRP with inflated down and monthly payments - I plan to lease).

Edmunds said invoice for this car is $39,690. I went below invoice because they told me $1500 holiday cash but didn't get it in writing. They were very shady and treated me badly/wouldn't give me info that I asked for. I like the car and want to get a fair deal. Any thoughts? Do you think dealerships will go below invoice on 2012's since it is the end of the year?
  • bubulikbubulik Member Posts: 16
    Hi Car_Man,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the dealer was charging a pretty high MF.

In the meantime, I received a quote from another dealer.

And, I wanted to run this by you.

2013 335i Sedan (Sport, Tech pkg, Prem pkg, Cold Weather pkg)

Selling Price - $48,882
    My down payment - $3,000
    MF - 0.0013
    Residual - 58% ($29,954)
    Term - 36 mos, 15k miles/yr

Monthly pmt - $634

What do you think? Thanks again.
  • jewel585jewel585 Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

I have a question that I'm hoping Car_Man or others might help explain.. Looking at the BMW website, I notice they have a lease special for a 2013 335i for $399/mo for 39 mo (I understand not including taxes). This is based on an MSRP of $45895 and $3000 cap cost reduction. When I try to calculate the lease payment using a leasing tool I have (validated with the Edmund's "Calculate Your Own Lease Payment") I come up with a value higher than the $399/mo. I used a money factor of 0.0013 and a residual of 61% (for 10k/yr). I also included a reduction of $1000 toward the MSRP (for a purchase price of $44895).

Can anyone help me understand how the BMW website comes up with a $399/mo lease payment (assuming my money factor and residual numbers are correct)? Using the tool I have, the monthly payment, with the criteria above, would be $447/mo.

Thanks
  • knelson4knelson4 Member Posts: 4
    Car_man,

Can you please provide me with the money factor and residual rates for a 39 month lease, with 12,000 miles per year, for the following vehicles:

2013 328i Coupe
    2013 335i Coupe

I am looking to lease one of these vehicles and plan on taking advantage of the $1,500 holiday credit and $750 loyalty cash. Do you know if a person can also take advantage of the $300 loyalty cash for participating in a test drive through the BMW app?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Kristian
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    Did you figure in a discount from MSRP? The lease ads usually don't disclose the selling price of the vehicle...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• alexwalex1alexwalex1 Member Posts: 33
    An update to my earleir post - thank you nyccarguy and kyfdx for advice. After additional negotiations, the best deal on the same vehicle I have on hand is total $995 at signing and $447 a month for 39 months lease, 10K a year. Taxes are included on all numbers. Though I am pushing harder to just see if anyone else can bid lower, this seems to be close to bottom line including my own calculations, so I am planning to sign the papers tomorrow.
  • jewel585jewel585 Member Posts: 4
    No, the only discount from the MSRP that I factored in was the $1000 holiday credit, for a purchase price of $44895. In other manufacturing lease ads I've seen, typically there is small print which calls out the dealers cap cost reduction contribution. Perhaps, as you state, BMW doesn't include this in the fine print. That would easily explain the difference in monthly payments from the BMW website and what I am calculating. Assuming this is the case, BMW is reducing the MSRP price by roughly $2750 (with the above factors being accurate of course). I guess that is not too shabby..

Thanks for the input.
  • knelson4knelson4 Member Posts: 4
    Car_man,

I have a couple additional questions after getting some information from my local sales rep.

There is a USAA incentive for military members listed on the BMW national website. I've been told this is $1,000 for 328i and 335i coupes and runs through the end of the year, though I don't know how to confirm this information. Is this $1,000 sum accurate? And, can this cash incentive be combined with the holiday and loyalty cash incentives that are also being offered right now? If so, it looks like an existing BMW FS customer, who is also in the military (or who is a former dependent of someone who served in the military), can receive the following cash incentives to further reduce a negotiated cap cost:

$1,500 (holiday cash incentive)
    $750 (loyalty cash incentive)
    $1,000 (USAA military incentive)

$300 (BWM ultimate drive app incentive that is applied toward first payment)

On a related note, my local sales rep told me that the current money factor for 2013 328i and 335i coupes is .00165. I was also told that the residual for both models, assuming 12,000 miles per year for 39 months, is 61%. Are these numbers accurate? The money factor looks high to me since the financing APR is 3.29% for the same models. Using a money factor of .00165 works out to be a 3.94% APR. Prior posts indicate the current money factor for other models is .0013. This lines up better with the 3.29% APR that is posted on BMW NA's website. Any help on getting the accurate figures would be much appreciated.

Kristian
  • romil01romil01 Member Posts: 75
    edited December 2012
    Got this quote today from Desert BMW in Las Vegas on a 2013 328i Sedan:

MSRP: $51,920
    Invoice: $48,286 (they say all invoices are 7% off MSRP)
    Selling Price: $48,885 (discount of $3,035)
    Fees rolled in: Title: $29, Documentation: $400
    Lease Lien on my Sonata: $1,400 (I have 5 more payments of $279 before lease is up)
    Total OTD price: $50,715.
    Drive off: $845 (not sure where this figure is coming from other than acq fee?)
    36 month lease, 15K/year
    0.00135 MF, 58% residual

Total monthly payment (including tax) = $735.

Seems a bit high to me still. They claim to be including $2K in rebates (holiday cash and USAA member) but I can't see where other than possibly the $3,035 discount off MSRP they are giving me to arrive at the $48,885 selling price, which means they are really only discounting $1035 off the MSRP.

Should I be able to negotiate closer to invoice without the rebates, then have those tacked on afterwards?
  • rorymacrorymac Member Posts: 4
    I'm inthe process of ordering a 2013 335i and leasing it for 36 months with 10K miles per year.
    The dealer is using a residual of 64% but I thought it was 61%.
    Also, he is using total BMW rebates of $2,250 whereas I thought it was Holiday credit of $1,000 plus $750 for Loyalty credit.
    Did I miss something here?
    Car Man please help.
  • hnindiohnindio Member Posts: 4
    Hi car_man or kyfdx,

I am new to leasing and to this forum, but I am already learning a lot reading through here. I am looking to lease a 328i Sedan. Now that we are in December, am I correct to assume that we would get the best deal in leasing a 2012 rather than a 2013? Or am I better off leasing a 2013? I don't need all the bells and whistles. Just need a car with the lowest cash outflow overall.

What would be the money factor and the residual value for a 2012 328i Sedan at 36 or 39 month lease, 15k? How can I negotiate on the financing end of things?

Many thanks in advance!
  • bubulikbubulik Member Posts: 16
    Hi Car_Man and everyone else:

Does anyone know exactly how the $1,000 holiday credit is applied toward a lease calculation? There are a few topics here on this but they aren't very clear.

Is that considered as a cap cost reduction (added to my down payment), OR, is that applied across the final monthly payments, OR, is that taken off the MSRP? If it is the last option, then does that mean I can attempt to negotiate the selling price further by another $1K?

I guess, how are the dealers supposed to pass on this credit to consumers?

Thanks a lot again.
    For me at least, it was calculated toward the cap cost reduction/due at signing not toward the selling price
  • 121212121121212121 Member Posts: 28
    Hello,

I tried reading through the past pairs, but couldn't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for.
    Looking at a 2013 328i, 12k miles per year lease.
    I'm open to 24,36, or 39 months depending on which has the best terms.

Could I please have the residual / money factor / BMW FS fees on these? (Acquisition / disposal / etc. I know dealers have their own fees.

Thank you,

Rob
  • hnindiohnindio Member Posts: 4
    Hi again car_man or kyfdx,

So I have a deal and would like to get your opinion. It's a 2013 328i Sedan lease.

MSRP - 38,445
    Invoice - 35,990
    Selling Price - 35,990 (was able to negotiate down to wholesale price)
    Term - 39 months
    Holiday Credit - $1,000
    Drive off (First month payment + registration + acquisition fee, etc) - $1,656 to $1,677 depending on the miles
    Monthly payment w/ tax - $424 @ 12k miles or $445 @ 15k miles
    Down payment - $0
    Money factor - 0.0013
    Residual - 58% @ 12k miles / 57% @ 15k miles

Now, another dealer said they will make a better offer... I don't even know what that means if I am able to get the car at wholesale.

Anything else I can do to negotiate even more? Appreciate your expert advise.

Thank you!
  • jman008jman008 Member Posts: 4
    Hello,

If I do the math you are only buying this car 6.3% below MSRP, which can be better. I am also talking to a dealership in NYC and he was able to give me a sale price of $39,300 for a car with MSRP $43,045 (8.7% below MSRP), and this is before the $1,000 holiday credit. Final price would be $38,300 and he said there might still be wiggle room.

I have also heard factory invoice is roughly 7% below MSRP.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    edited December 2012
    Its just not that simple. Typically, the more options, the bigger the difference between invoice and msrp.

The base 328i has a difference of 7.8% between invoice and msrp.
    Most options are right around 9%.

So, in other words, the more options, the higher the percentage could be.

In any case, you did well, and you are right, the other deal sounds like it could be a little better. But 2% on a $40k car is only $800 in the end. Not a huge deal.

hnindio ... I can't seem to get a car to come out with that invoice. A base model with Driver Assist package is $38,445, but the invoice on such a car is $35,430. They must be throwing in something like regional advertising fees. In any case, I still think your deal sounds OK.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Hello all,

I just came back from a NYC dealership and signed off on a lease, my final sale price is below invoice so I am pretty excited. Here's the detail for reference:

MSRP $40,945 (328i xDrive + Moonroof + Heated front seats)
    Factory Invoice $38,325
    Selling Price: $37,000
    Holiday Credit: $1000 put towards drive off amount (acq fees/dmv/1st moth payment etc)

Lease Term: 36 month, 10k/year
    Money Factor: .00130
    Residual Value: 61%
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,359
    What's your monthly payment?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

About $456/month including tax. Tax was rolled into the financing.

Bank Fees/Reg Fees/first month payment totaled to be $1560. After the $1,000 holiday credit I ended up paying $560 to drive the car away.
  • thakkarashthakkarash Member Posts: 2
    Can you give me your dealer's name?
    lifequalitybmw.com in Brooklyn
  • voldermortvoldermort Member Posts: 67
    Hello kyfdx or car_man,

I have a deal but regard your opinion highly on this before I sign this week.
    I am ready to sign and take delivery before Jan 2 so that I can take advantage of the $1,000 holiday credit. And in reading this forum, I would like to know if there is a BMW rebate too of $2,250? Or am I confused, it's so late (12.33am) dealer discount/BMW rebate?

The dealer(s) I have both told me they would sell me this vehicle at invoice. How would I really know that?

328i XDrive
    MSRP of 42,145 (cold weather package, premium package, dark grey color)

Selling at $38,295, which includes the $1,000 and the $750 loyalty and
    the $600 advertising fee and the $75.00 doc fee.

I will be paying separate for the tire tax $10.00
    DMV $190 separately I guess.....and the Long Island NY tax....

Leasing for 36 months, or 39 months @ 12,000 miles

I don't know how to calculate the monthly payment on this. Could you help me out, also what if I roll in the tax? How much would that be?

My basic math shows me that there is approx an $850 difference not in my favor.

Please help me, someone??
    Thank you.
    Hi Kristian. BMW Financial Services' December buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 39-month lease of a 2013 328i Coupe with 12,000 miles per year are .00125 and 61% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a 2013 335i Coupe are again .00125 and 61%.

Yes, you should be able to combine the $1,500 holiday cash, $750 loyalty cash and the app cash.

Car_man
    Host
    You're absolutely right kyfdx. The advertised lease assumes a discount from MSRP that jewel probably did not take into account.

Car_man
    Host
This discussion has been closed.