Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Lease Questions

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hey Kristian. The dealer that you are working with is attempting to mark up BMW's .00125 buy rate lease money factor for these cars. If you are in an area that has a decent level of competition, you should be able to get the dealer to use the buy rate by negotiating or shopping around.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Welcome hnindio. If I was interested in leasing a BMW right now, I personally would probably go with a 2013 model. The selection of '13s is going to be much better so I could get exactly what I wanted and the deals on leases of '13s are pretty good.

BMW Financial Services' December buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 328i Sedan with 15,000 miles per year are .00130 and 58% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a 2012 model are .00115 and 59%.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi bubulik. The $1,000 holiday credit is used to reduce the selling price or capitalized cost of the vehicle that you are interested in leasing. Negotiate the lowest pre-incentives selling price that you can on the car that you want and then have the dealer knock the holiday credit off of that.

Car_man
    Host
    Happy Holidays Rob. BMW Financial Services' December buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24-month lease of a 2013 328i Sedan with 12,000 miles per year are .00130 and 66% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 36-month lease are .00130 and 60%.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 39-month lease are .00130 and 59%.

BMW FS charges a $725 acquisition fee and a $350 disposition or disposal fee on every vehicle that it leases.

When negotiating your deal on this car, make sure to take advantage of the $1,000 holiday credit and the $750 owner loyalty cash.

Car_man
    Host
    Happy Holidays voldermort. BMW is currently providing a $1,000 cash incentive and an additional $750 to loyal customers on the 2013 328i xDrive Sedan. Where did you see the $2,250? I haven't heard anything about that. Perhaps that's a combination of a dealer discount and the aforementioned cash. If I was in the market for this car right now, I personally would shoot for a selling price of $500 to $1,000 over invoice, preferably towards the lower end, minus the available cash incentives.

Let's work up a payment for you using the numbers that you provided. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a '13 328i xDrive Sedan that has an MSRP of $42,145 and $38,295 through BMW Financial Services right now for 36-months with 12,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment would be around $444.

Car_man
    Host
  • bimbeebimbee Member Posts: 8
    edited December 2012
    happy holidays Car_man and kyfdx (and other members!)

i have gotten the following deal, and would love to hear your thoughts, as i regard them very highly - this will be my first bimmer(yay:)

328 xi
    luxury line, mineral grey, dakota leather seats, tech+premium+cold packages, rearview cam+parking sensors.

dealer tells me this has been in their lot a while and they are highly motivated to move it out.

msrp 50,345 (after 1,000 holiday credit, which is the only one i qualify for)
    sales price 45,543 (~10%off msrp, not sure what their invoice is)

10k/39 mo lease:
    2,800 down (incl. all out of pocket costs. first pmnt, fees, and ma sales tax of 6.25%)
    499/mo incl. tax

not sure what money factor they are using, and don't know how to figure it out honestly.

any input on whether this is a fair deal or not would be highly appreciated.
    thanks you very much in advance, and happy holidays to all of you!
  • hnindiohnindio Member Posts: 4
    Thank you gbrozen and jam008 on your input! We ended up signing a lease on a different car with 11.72% under MSRP, so I think we did well :)

MSRP: 39,095 (328i sedan + moonroof + BMW assist)
    Invoice: 36,580
    Selling price: 34,515
    Holiday credit: $1000 applied towards driveoff ($677 total driveoff after credit)
    Down Payment: $823
    Monthly payment: $410 for 39 months with 15k miles (0.0013 money factor / 57% residual value)

Happy Holidays!
    Hi bimbee. The selling price that you were quoted looks good . Just make sure that the dealer uses BMW FS' current buy rate lease money factor of .00130 to calculate your car's payment and you're in business.

Car_man
    Host
  • thakkarashthakkarash Member Posts: 2
    So u paid 677 + 823 = 1500 for drive off, also ur drive off included 410 first installment?
  • hnindiohnindio Member Posts: 4
    That's correct. The drive off included the first month payment.
  • lindawalindawa Member Posts: 23
    I am trying to purchase a 2013 328i sedan with premium package. I see there is a holiday credit of $1,000 that will end on January 2nd. I see there is a loyality credit of $750 that i think ends July 31, 2013. My current lease is not up until March. Does anyone have a crystal ball and know if there are better incentives coming in 2013. I will wait if there are going to be better incentives. I would appreciate any help. The best price i recieved for the vehicle is $37,610 does sound good?
  • firsttimebmwfirsttimebmw Member Posts: 13
    edited December 2012
    Hi Car_Man and kyfdx! Hoping you can review this for me and let me know what kind of a deal this is....

2013 328xi, White/Beige leather, MSRP $48,645.00, 39 mos, 12k m/yr
    Registration is state of NY, Nassau County
    Premium Pkg
    Cold Weather
    Lighting Pkg
    Driver Assistance Pkg
    Navigation (NOT Technology Pkg)
    BMW Apps

Total Cap: $45,687.39 - $1,000 cap reduction = $44,687.39 net cap
    Residual shows as $28,700.55
    Total out of pocket shows as $3,244.00 (inc 1st payment).
    Payment: $520.00/mo.
    Money factor shows as .00150

Thanks so much!
    hi car_man,
    thanks for your help!
    after getting your blessing too, i went ahead with this deal and just signed the contract couple hours ago.
    here's a BIG questions though:
    while confirming numbers, i noticed the dealership used the MSRP(and NOT sales price, which was ~5k less than msrp) to calculate my depreciation value. so the msrp was (don't have the contract with me right now) roughly 50k, i negotiated a sales price of roughly 45k.
    39mo, 10k/yr residual was 60% of 50k, so about 30k.
    my undertsnding is that i should be paying 45k(sales price, not msrp) minus 30k(resid.)= 15k +fees+interest(i asked and they said they are using .0013 as money factor) over 39 mos of the contract.
    instead i am paying 50k(msrp)-30k = 20k +2800 in fees&deposits and costs, etc.
    (sorry i don't have exact figures, i will post them this evening once i am back at home)

am i missing something here?
    when i raised this issue and said it didn't make any sense to me, the finance mgr couldn't point out how my negotiated price lowered my payments, apart from plugging in different numbers in his systems sales price box and pointing to how that changed the monthly payment. i asked 3 times and was told that the lease payments were calculated based on msrp, but not sales price (but somehow a lower sales price still reduced my payments).
    i didn't want to argue in front of my wife, who got really embarrassed and wanted to just sign it and leave, as the payment figures matched what we were quoted, and we were okay paying that every month. but i still don't want to get screwed by 5k. no matter what i can or cannot pay.

any help would be MUCH appreciated. is it bmw's practice to base the payment on msrp, and not on sales price? that sounds very stupid to me, but i may be wrong.

please HELP!!
    Are lease factors negotiable?? I just found something saying that the Dec 2012 "base rate" is .00125, and I found another post from someone else in NY saying they got .00130. Mine is at .0015. Can I push them for lower? If my pmt is $520.00 at the .00150, how much difference would getting .00125 make?
    Thx again!
  • iron_wheeliron_wheel Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

This is my first time leasing a car, and first time getting a BMW. I was wondering if the deal offered to me sounds good? Also i thought of putting $5k down payment to lower my monthly but now was thinking to trimming it down to $2k.

Appreciate any thoughts!!! Happy new year!

Index Description MSRP
    Base Price $38,700.00
    ZPP Premium Package 3,600.00
    ZMP M Sport Package 2,900.00
    322 Comfort Access Keyless Entry 500.00
    494 Heated Front Seats 500.00
    4BY Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim 0.00
    609 Navigation System 2,150.00
    Metallic Paint 550.00

Destination and Handling 895.00

TOTAL AS EQUIPPED $49,795.00
    SELLING PRICE $45,860.00

Lease Terms
    Lender BMW Financial Services
    Term 36 Months
    Mileage 12,000/year
    Money Factor 1.25
    Residual Factor 63%

Selling Price $45,860.00
    Bank Fee $925.00

Total Capitalized Cost
    $46,785.00

Residual Value $31,370.85
    Total Depreciation $10,269.76
    Capital Reduction $5,144.39
    Monthly Depreciation $285.27
    Monthly Rent $91.26

Monthly Payment $376.54
    Tax (8.5%) $32.01

Monthly Payment + Tax $408.54

Capital Reduction $5,144.39
    Cap Reduction Tax (8.5%) $444.07
    License & Registration $423.00
    Documentation Fee $80.00
    First Payment $408.54
    Security Deposit $0.00

Drive Off $6,500.00

Trade Equity $0.00
    Rebate $1,500.00

Due at Signing $5,000.00
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,414
    First time leasing? repeat after me:

DO NOT PUT ANY MONEY DOWN (capitalized cost reduction) ON A LEASE! If your vehicle is stolen or totaled at any point during the lease, you will LOSE that money that you put "down."

Also, your dealer is marking up BMWFS' bank fee of $725 by $200.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• btinlbtinl Member Posts: 4
    Here are the details for my deal. I think I worked out a good deal.

BMW 335 xdrive w/ sport-line, premium pkg, cold weather pkg, navigation.
    MSRP $52,695
    Negotiated price $49,000 before incentives
    Incentives -$2750 (holiday credit, drive for team USA rebate, loyalty)
    $0 down payment.
    7 MSDs to reduce MF to 0.00081
    36 mo lease. 12k mi/yr

Monthly $532 (including 9% tax)
    Due at signing 7 MSDs, 1st month, $180 tax/license/doc fee, -$300 drive app credit
    -$500 BMW CCA member rebate
  • eswaraeswara Member Posts: 2
    Could you please let me know how did you get Team USA credit. I was offered $1K Holiday credit for financing with BMW and was declined USAA incentive as I'm a civilian
  • cloakingknightcloakingknight Member Posts: 15
    The deals should kick in around feb/march months and best in April.
  • spydervr4spydervr4 Member Posts: 5
    Hi Bimbee,

Depreciation is always calculated on the sticker(MSRP) price not your negotiated price. This is not just a BMW thing.
  • wiggum1wiggum1 Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering. I hardly ever see people leasing more then 36-39 months. Since the BMW offers the 4 year 50k miles would a 48 month lease be more beneficial?

Also I have an Infiniti G37X coming off lease in 8 months. Looking at the BMW. Should I ride out the lease or see if BMW would buy the car from me?
  • msabinmsabin Member Posts: 1
    Hey car_man,

Do you know what are the Residual and MF are for a 36 / 15K lease? Also, are there any incentives like the $1000 holiday cash they had last month?

Thanks
    Hi firsttimebmw. The car that you described has a spread of around $3,800 between its full MSRP and its dealer invoice price. That puts the selling price that you were quoted at around $800 over invoice minus incentives...that's not bad. Just make sure that the dealer uses BMW FS' current buy rate lease money factor of .00130 to calculate your monthly payment and you're in business.

Car_man
    Host
    You're very welcome bimbee. Don't worry about it :). What the dealership did is correct. Vehicles' residual values and depreciation are based upon a percentage of their full MSRPs, including the destination charge and the MSRPs of any options that can be residualized. The selling price is used to calculate the interest portion of the lease.

Enjoy your new ride :shades: !

Car_man
    Host
    Hi firsttimebmw. Banks set vehicles' buy rate or base lease money factors. Those figures are not negotiable. However, dealers (particularly luxury dealers) are often allowed to mark up vehicles' buy rates to add additional hidden, back-end profit to deals. That looks like what it happening with your deal. It is actually very common with BMW dealers, but it can often be avoided by savvy consumers who know what their vehicle's buy rate should be and negotiate.

Car_man
    Host
    Good question, wiggum1. Usually 42-months is really the longest that anyone should lease a BMW for. this is because that is the longest term that its special lease money factors are available for. If you lease for any longer than that, the interest rate that you are being charged on your lease will likely increase.

Eight months is really early to get out of a lease. It is likely going to be fairly expensive for you to get out this early. You would probably be better off waiting until you are closer to the scheduled end to get something new.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey msabin. BMW Financial Services' January buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 328i Sedan with 15,000 miles per year are .00130 and 60% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

There's a $1,500 cash incentive on leases of 3 Coupes and Convertibles this month, but nothing on the Sedans other than the $750 owner loyalty cash.

Car_man
    Host
    Car_man, Thanks so much!! Ok, so on Sat, 12/29 (delivery day) I called the dealer and said 'It's the last biz day of the year - I'm picking up my new car today. If u fix the money factor to .00130 as it should be, it'll be a BMW. If not, it'll be an Audi'. Since they seem to like the old, played out 'Lemme speak to my boss' game, I told them to talk to the boss and call me back if they want to move the car.
    Picked it up 3 hrs later at .00130 which equated to $20/mo savings. Thanks again for your help! LOVE this car
  • sandy_ssandy_s Member Posts: 3
    What is the money factor on a 335i? Is it the same as a 328? Looking for 3-year lease. Thank you!
  • jburleigjburleig Member Posts: 16
    Hi Car Man,

I would be most grateful if you could let me know the current money factors and residuals % for a 2013 BMW 328i convertible on a 36 month lease w/ 10k and 12k mileage allowances per year.

Many thanks,
    John
    Great job at negotiating firsttimebmw. Enjoy your new ride :shades: !

Car_man
    Host
    Hi sandy_s. BMW Financial Services' January buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 335i with 15,000 miles per year are .00130 and 60% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a '13 328i are .00130 and 60%.

Car_man
    Host
    thank you Car_man and spydervr4!
    i am THOROUGHLY enjoying this ride! waiting for the 1,000 mile mark to have some real fun, but even now it is GREAT :)
    thanks so much for all your input and time!
  • mooman13mooman13 Member Posts: 1
    What are the January buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 328i xDrive sedan with 10,000 miles per year? Thank you.
    You're very welcome bimbee.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello mooman13. BMW Financial Services' January buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 328i xDrive Sedan with 10,000 miles per year are .00130 and 63% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
    Would it be the same for 10k miles and 3 years? Thank you!!!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,570
    Moving from 15K/yr to 10K/yr adds 3% to the residual..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Thank you! I'm being offered .0020. Hmmm. So they are marking up?
    It certainly looks like they are, sandy_s.

Car_man
    Host
  • archer636archer636 Member Posts: 3
    dealer would not come down from MSRP. When I asked why? he brought up two reasons:

1 - all the rebates/incentives are expired on Dec 31st.
    2 - they sold a lot of cars during December so inventory is low.

I live in a small town so this is the only dealership around.
  • justileejustilee Member Posts: 1
    2013 BMW 335i xDrive Sedan
    MSRP: $48,895

Exterior: Jet Black
    Interior: Black leatherette/Red highlight (No ZPP or ZCW)
    Sport Line (required)
    Trim: Brushed aluminum trim (Sport Line)

Transmission: Manual Transmission
    Rear-view camera (Must select: 508 or ZDA)
    Park distance control

Type: Lease
    Term: 36 Months

Miles per year: 10,000 miles/year
    First Payment: $509.08
    + Security: $0.00
    + Cap Red: $0.00
    + Tax on Cap Red: $0.00
    + Upfront Sales Tax: $1,282.88
    + Acquisition Fee: $925.00
    + DMV Fees: $0.00
    + Tire Fee: $10.00
    + Insp Fee: $10.00
    + Doc Fee: $75.00
    + NJ Luxury Tax: $182.23
    + Other Fees: $0.00
    + Tax on Fees: $70.00
    = Cash Due on Lease: $3,064.19
    - Trade Equity to COD: $0.00

= Total Cash Due: $3,064.19
    - Deposit: $0.00
    = Cash on Delivery: $3,064.19
    Plus DMV Fees

monthly payment at 509.08$
  • archer636archer636 Member Posts: 3
    got this in email:

2013 328i Sedan
    $0 down, $0 due at signing, $0 security, $0 first month's payment
    Lease for $389 per month/36 months
    Residual value equals $24,188. 10,000 miles per year, $0.25 per mile overage. Total due at signing $0. MSRP $38,395. 2013 BMW 328i Sedan. $0 Security Deposit with approved credit for well-qualified lessees. Payment excludes tax, tag, title, registration and dealer fee of $799

this sounds like a really good deal; (even after adding fees and tax). What's the catch here?
    Hi archer636. December was definitely a better time to get a new BMW than January is. BMW had a HUGE December and inventory levels are indeed a little on the thin side at some dealers. If you're not in a hurry, you might do better waiting a month or two to get a new 3 Sedan. Of course, as you mentioned, the lack of competition in your area certainly is not helping your ability to negotiate any.

Car_man
    Host
  • rxkerxke Member Posts: 168
    Hi Car Man

You have been extremely helpful every time I lease a car. I am considering leasing a BMW 328XI in NY. 10k or 12K per year for either 30 month or 36 months. What are the differences in the money factor ad residual value with these examples? Thanks for your help.
  • thairsthairs Member Posts: 12
    Hi Car_Man,

Would you be able to tell me what the current MF and residual values are on a 2013 328xi for a 24 month / 12k and 36 month /12k lease?

Thanks alot!
  • sdawg11sdawg11 Member Posts: 1
    There is a 2012 335i 2 door that I want to deal on with my local dealer. Does anyone know the rates and residuals for the 2012's that are still around lots? The huge discounts off msrp would warrant dealing with less then ideal residuals.
    Hey rxke. How have you been? I hope that everything is going well. I'm glad that you've found my posts so helpful.

BMW's January lease program is scheduled to run through the end of February. According to the latest information that I have seen, Audi Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 30-month lease of a 2013 328xi with 12,000 miles per year are .00130 and 65% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 36-month lease are .00130 and 62%.

If you were to lease with 10,000 miles per year, these residual values would be 1% higher.

Good luck in your negotiations.

Car_man
    Host
    Here's the information that you're looking for thairs.

BMW Financial Services' January buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24-month lease of a 2013 328xi with 12,000 miles per year are .00130 and 68% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 36-month lease are .00130 and 62%.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi sdawg11. There's still a few 2012s sitting around out there, huh? You can still lease one through BMW if you can find one, which you seem to have done.

BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 335i Coupe with 15,000 miles per year are .00135 and 55% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

You should be able to get a 2012 model for well under dealer invoice at this point. Keep in mind that BMW paid out dealers $3,200 for any '12 coupes that they had left in inventory a while ago.

Car_man
    Host
This discussion has been closed.