Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Lease Questions

Comments

• jasonmdbmwjasonmdbmw Member Posts: 117
    Diplomatic pricing works the same as Euro delivery. You get the 5% diplomatic savings off the base price but you can also negtiate off that price after adding your packages/options.
  • dchabitantdchabitant Member Posts: 21
    Thanks for confirming that, Jason. So if I am able to negotiate to pay say $500 over invoice (including options), then the diplomatic pricing entitlement really does me no good, as $500 over invoice is a lower price than 5% off MSRP. Is this correct?

I thought that maybe diplomatic pricing meant that the dealer's invoice was 5% less, in which case paying $500-$1000 over this (reduced) invoice would produce substantial added savings.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    Last I checked, the Dipl. cost \ invoice \ wholesale price was lower
    than USA POE - but not quite as low as European Deliv.
    Example -
    USA POE = $29,810
    Euro Deliv = $27,720
    Dipl = $28,320
    Good luck!
    - Ray
    Did the Euro Deliv almost 2 years ago....
    2022 X3 M40i
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,221
    edited April 2013
    The invoice is lower, as well, you should be able to negotiate a lower price than you would, otherwise.... then, take any incentives on top of that...

Very few dealers are going to be up on Diplomatic pricing.... and, those that are will probably try to take advantage of you...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

First off. I want to thank everyone for providing such useful information, and for answering my questions. What a great forum.

I just got an offer from my dealer, which I think is a pretty good deal> it may not be as low as some others have gotten, but I hate to haggle and would rather not call a bunch of dealers to compare quotes if I could avoid it. here's the offer:

335i xDrive, with options

MSRP: $57,695
    Dealer Offer: $51,900

If I can't do significantly better than that, I'll pull the trigger this Friday. If the most I'd be able to get is another $300-$500, I'm probably not going to bother. Your thoughts?
  • jasonmdbmwjasonmdbmw Member Posts: 117
    MSRP and the invoice price are both reduced by 5%.
  • 11xi11xi Member Posts: 6
    CarMan - what is current money factor & residual for 2013 328 convertible & 335 convertible with 36 mos and 10k/yr? Thanks!
    Thanks for confirming that Jason. Dealer suggested that the Diplomatic rebate applied only to the base price (excluding options). If this is so, the true invoice price works out to be about $50,958--meaning I'm paying a little less than $1,000 over invoice.

Not a perfect deal, but not bad either. Don't feel like haggling and shopping around to lower the price by another $500-$600. I like the guy. It's the closest dealership. And since I'm leasing, the difference is maybe $5/month.

I'm happy. (I think.) MAybe I'll try to get free mats or something.

Thanks to everyone for your assistance.
    Thanks for your advice kyfdx--especially for clarifying that incentives should be treated apart from any negotiation, and should be brought into the equation only after you've arrived at a price. Never looked at it that way. Alas, the only cash incentive available to me, at least in my area, is the $750 Loyalty contribution, which doesn't apply to me.

Thanks again.
  • bimmerlabimmerla Member Posts: 1
    Will there be any good 335i sedan lease deals anytime? If so when and what type of deals (money wise). Thanks!
  • ah3msportah3msport Member Posts: 4
    I ordered a 2013 AH3 with a msrp of 57,395.
    36month x 10kmiles
    With 3500 Eco /1000 lease cash/750 loyalty.
    585.00 tax included with 1000.00 out of pocket.
    Is this a good deal?
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi jewel585. BMW Financial Services' April buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 335i Coupe with 10,000 miles per year are .00129 and 65% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a 335i Sedan are exactly the same. The only difference in the programs on the two, and this is a relatively large one, is that there is a $1,500 cash incentive on the Coupe but no cash this month on the Sedan.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    You're very welcome leoblue. BMW FS' April buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24-month lease of a 2013 328i xDrive Sedan with 15,000 miles per year are .00129 and 68% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi alexandergld. While there is always tons of exceptions to this, generally speaking three year leases have lower monthly payments than two year leases do. This is because new vehicles experience their most rapid depreciation over the first year of ownership. Three year leases have a larger number of monthly payments to spread out this large initial depreciation hit out over than two year leases do.

What you heard about leases with 10,000 miles per year is correct. 10k leases have higher residual values than 15k leases do and in turn they have lower monthly payments.

BMW Financial Services' base acquisition fee is only $725. If the dealer is attempting to charge you more than that, they're padding it. Make sure to look at that extra $200 in the context of the whole deal and ideally try to get the dealer to eliminate it if possible.

Vehicles' residual values are set in stone and cannot be altered by consumers or dealers.

Consumers who lease through BMW can put down extra security deposits to buy down their vehicle's money factor. This is different and preferable to a making a capitalized cost reductions because lessees actually get any security deposits that they make back at lease-end.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi nchi. BMW Financial Services' April buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 328i Sedan with 15,000 miles per year are .00129 and 62% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

Car_man
    Host
    Greetings 11xi. BMW Financial Services' April buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 328i Convertible with 10,000 miles per year are .00129 and 65% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a 2013 335i Convertible are .00129 and 65%, again.

There is a $1,500 cash incentive on leases of both of these cars.

Car_man
    Host
  • degnan78degnan78 Member Posts: 4
    Hey Car_Man and everyone,

This is a great forum with tons of good advice. I'm new to BMW as well as leasing, and I would love to get into a 2013 328i xDrive sedan as cheap as possible (no options is fine with me). I saw one lease deal advertised near me (in Massachusetts), the MSRP is 41,295, and the offer is $309 per month for a 36-month lease with 10k miles per year and a $2999 down payment. I then contacted the dealer asking about the money factor and the residual, and they said .00159 and 65%.

Do these numbers sound good? Should I try to get them to reduce the money factor to .00129? Can I also avoid the down payment (I've heard that's a bad idea with a lease) and instead put down multiple security deposits instead?

Thanks in advance!!
  • swameeswamee Member Posts: 32
    As per the advertised rates for 328i, for an MSRP of 40845, with a down payment of 2750 +725 Acquisition, the monthly payment for 10k/yr is supposed to be 349/mth before taxes (excluding other fees). If I build a model with this MSRP & estimate payment, the model requires 5454 as downpayment for the monthly payment to end up at 349/th - what gives? At a down payment of $3,475 the mthly payment works to 407/mth - is the bmw payment estimator junk ?what am i missing?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,221
    The lease example doesn't give a selling price. You are assuming MSRP as selling price, but there is likely some unspecified dealer discount.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

You mean the difference between the advertised down payment & 5454 is the min. dealer discount?seems like we can back into it & use that as a starting point in negotiations no?
    I ordered a 2013 AH3 with a msrp of 57,395.
    36month x 10kmiles
    Is this a good deal?
  • jmatero2jmatero2 Member Posts: 4
    I'm still awaiting the MF, residual details but was just quoted:

MSRP: 43,045
    Sale$: 40,201

24/12k: $417 +tax
    36/12k: $382 +tax

Both with $5,000 at signing. The sale price seems fair but that seems high per month with $5,000 down, no?
    $412+taxes or $366+taxes/fees sounds more reasonable
  • ranjohnranjohn Member Posts: 17
    I'm getting a little higher than your results. How did you do it?
    Im getting even lower results if I tweak the estimator to use $2,844(43045-40201) as the trade-in and 5k as cash down. Getting 331 for 24/12k & 318 for 36/12k
  • carguy778carguy778 Member Posts: 33
    Hello,
    Can someone please explain to me how does security deposit help when leasing a car instead of Down payment. And what is a MF and Residual on a used 2013 328xi, original MSRP $46.

THANKS.
    Lease Formula

Here are the mechanics of how to calculate your own lease, without a lease calculator. Understanding the formula comes in handy when you are at the dealership and do not have access to internet or a computer with a lease calculator. It’s pretty useful if you want to cross-check the dealers math.

What you need:

MF: The Money Factor. (You can find out what your interest rate is by multiplying the money factor by 2400)
    RV: Residual Value. What the car is worth at lease-end.
    CC: The Capitalized Cost AKA Sale Price.
    LST: Local Sales Tax.
    M: Term of the lease (24,36,48,etc)

I am going use the latest quote I got for the G37 I was shopping for as an example.

Step 1: Monthly Depreciation Charge

(CC – RV) / M

(32,916 – 22,185) = 10,731 / 36 = $298.08

Step 2: Monthly Finance Charge

(CC + RV) * MF

(32,916 + 22,185) = 55,101 * 0.00186 = $102.49

Step 3: Total Monthly Charge (plus tax)

(Monthly Depreciation Charge + Monthly Finance Charge) * LST

(298.08+102.49) = 400.57 * 1.0825 (8.25% tax) = $433.62

The actual quote I got is $453 a month. Why the $20 difference? Because they rolled in the Acquisition fee (bank fee) of $595 into the Cap Cost of the car. So keep that in mind next time you lease. Its probably better to pay that upfront. Otherwise, that $595 ends up costing $720 after all is said and done.
  • gd0tgd0t Member Posts: 4
    hey,

i'm in the market for a 328i as well. did you lease yet? i'm curious to know the deal you ended up with.
    Hi degnan78. The dealer is attempting to mark this car's money factor up. You definitely should try to get them or another local dealer to lease you the 3 that you want using the .00129 buy rate.

You definitely can, and should, avoid making a capitalized cost reduction on your lease. Of course, eliminating the cap cost reduction will make your monthly payment a little higher, but it's the right thing to do on a lease. You could if you wanted to lower your payment by making multiple security deposits.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi carguy778. BMW Financial Services lowers vehicles' money factors by 0.00007 for every extra security deposit that the lessee makes, up to a maximum total discount of .00049.

BMW FS' April buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 328xi Sedan with 15,000 miles per year are .00129 and 62% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

Car_man
    Host
    edited April 2013
    Car_man: Along the lines of 0 down would you also advise against trading in? And if I have top tier credit, should they automatically offer the .00129 MF or is that a haggling point?
    And finally per this offer (http://www.leasetrader.com/lease-specials/2012-BMW-328i-16418.xhtml) from an apparently direct dealer, the fees are almost $1400 - is that standard?
    Thanks a lot for all the info/insights
    Car_man, the insider information you provide is priceless, really thoughtful of you and helping me analyze the offers I've been getting. I've spent hours reading all of your posts. Is there any way to repay you for your help?

Thanks a million,
    Gd0t
  • msfmsf Member Posts: 2
    I've been offered the following lease:

328xi
    Black Sapphire
    Black Leather
    Moonroof
    Burl wood interior
    Heated Seats
    MSRP: $42,745

$1,500 total out of pocket
    $500/month ($455 + $45 tax)

Seem reasonable?
    2013 AH3 with a msrp of 57,395.
    36month x 10kmiles
    Is this a good deal?
    what options and sale price things like that?
    MSRP 46k
    SALE PRICE 41k

base model
    premium,tech,cold pack
    12/36

0 down.

~3000 tax and fees etc at signing.
    440/month

is this a good deal?

Any advice will be appreciated......Thanks
    I'm curious about the trade-in as well - I imagine it would be best to keep the trade-in out of the lease discussion, right?
    Yikes....zero down and you still end up with $3000 in tax and fees? Is that typical?
  • vince1313vince1313 Member Posts: 8
    I came across residuals for the 328 in these threads, but I am interested in the 335i. So what are the resids on say a 10k/year lease? 12k/year lease?

Also, what is the official MF on same car?

Thanks!
    edited April 2013
    Tech, prim, cold pack, metallic paint
    MSRP $47K
    Sale price 44000
    MF .00129
    RV 64%

12/36months

0 down

575/month x36 months everything included.

Is this a good deal?
    thanks the calcs are quite clear.
    trading in during a lease is a double-whammy!Dealer screws you on the trade-in price AND you bear the risk if the new one gets totaled so I'm thinking a definite no-no if the trade-in is worth north of 1000;
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    We need your input to improve our Forums!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/EdmundsForums
  • mruthmruth Member Posts: 1
    Which is the best site to get invoice prices? KBB seems lower than Edmunds by a few hundreds and msn has its own value-confusing!
  • tgdctgdc Member Posts: 2
    I'm ready to start the process of leasing a 2013 328i sedan. Better to do it now and take advantage of "end of the month" deals or wait until the May lease numbers are out? Any idea what they'll be? Thanks for an awesome and incredibly valuable service.
    I was just at a BMW dealership yesterday. Last month (April) there was a manufacturer rebate, but none this month. Probably because they assume people will be out and about spending their tax refund dollars. Salesman will ping me when May's programs come out. I would suggest you do the same?

G'luck!
    2013 activehybrid 3
    57345 msrp
    36month 10k miles
    Don't remember exact selling price but with 1000.00 out of pocket it was 585 with tax included .the program was a 3500 Eco credit with 1000.00 lease cash and 750.00 in loyalty.They now have 500.00 credit towards first payment and a 1000.00 credit for a ultimate drive event .So the out of pocket should go to 0 and my payment should be reduced as if I put 500 of real cash .That should bring my payment to approx 570 with tax. I can put the multiple sec deposit of 3850 to bring the payment to 525.00 which I might as I get that 3850 back at the end if the lease .Is this a good deal and is the 3850 tied up for the lease worth the 45.00 less per month ?
    Just wanted to thank the members of this forum for providing so much useful information, all of which helped negotiate a pretty good price on a 335i xDrive. Especially want to thank car man, kyfdx, kromix, jasonmdbmw. Armed with all the information this forum provided, I emailed 5 dealers--telling them the car I wanted to buy and what I was willing to pay; if they were willing to sell at that price we could close the deal same day, no fuss or haggling. Got an immediate positive response and made a deposit same day. Now awaiting delivery!

Btw, found a very good, straight-talking, honest salesman in D.C. area. If anyone needs a recommendation let me know. Would be happy to help out.
  • ranjohnranjohn Member Posts: 17
    edited April 2013
    Hey buddy, mind if I ask you what you got from the dealer? And which dealer you finally closed the deal with?
    edited April 2013
    Sure. I dealt with Jim at BMW of Fairfax. I sent the sales manager an email stating that I was willing to pay $51,100 on a (nearly) loaded 335i xDrive--MSRP $57,695. Jim and the sales manager agreed to the price, and that was it.

Note that the price includes a Diplomatic Discount (5% off base MSRP). So I think I paid about $600-$700 over actual invoice. I probably could have done a bit better. But, as I see it, it was a fair deal for both parties. Even if I managed to get another $500 off, on a 3-year lease, the actual saving is maybe a couple of hundred bucks. I figured: pay $200 more and get the deal done quick.

If you're shopping, send him a quick email with the price you want to pay, and see if he accepts. (You can tell him Giovanni referred you.)
This discussion has been closed.