Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Lease Questions

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi oneon3putts. Doc fees really aren't anything more than a way for dealers to add additional profit to deals. They vary from dealer to dealer. Some states have set limits on how mych doc fees can be, but others have not. The best way to look at doc fees, or any other sort of random fee that dealers try to tack onto deals is to include them in your vehicle's total price. Looking at the out-the-door price of the car that you want makes it easy to compare offers from different dealers.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi craigf14. I am sorry, but I had to delete the recent message that you posted that contained your e-mail address. Edmunds.com does not allow community members to post their e-mail addresses in its forums. If you want someone to e-mail you, please make your e-mail address in your profile public and tell them to check there. Thanks.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • kmelefkmelef Member Posts: 1
    I just got of the horn with a BMW salesperson in MD. I am looking at a 525xi with an MSRP of $53,100 and a selling price of $50,720.

Looking at 36 months with 10,000 miles per year - they are asking me to put down $1454.92 and pay $704 (tax, tag and title included). He suggested further that i could put down $9400 and that the car would only cost me $459.00 per month. Good deal? Know the price is just a smidgen over invoice - but i am not sure about the payment. Money factor is supposedly .001 - and the 459/mo payment is some sort of "subsidized" payment.

Thx
  • klassybklassyb Member Posts: 1
    Hi Car_man,

I got quoted a 525i lease of $425/mo with $3000 down (all inclusive). MF=.00080, 28 months, MSRP of $47,470 (automatic with premium package).

The dealer indicated there might be more wiggle room. Is there anything that looks fishy about that deal? Do you know much dealer incentives are for this month (they said they're basing it on a price $500 above invoice but I know there's lots of incentives).

Thanks!
  • iamdavehiamdaveh Member Posts: 1
    Car Man,

I'm doing all my homework and hope to go to a dealer today in the St. Louis area. I've built a 530i with a MSRP of $55339, wholesale price of $51,059. Here's what I'm hoping to negotiate on a 3 year/12k mile lease.

Cap Cost 52060 $1000 over invoice
    Money Factor .0005
    Residual Value 32,277 62%
    Monthly Depreciation $549.53
    Monthly Interest $42.17
    Base Monthly Payment $591.70

Questions:
    Do any of my numbers look wrong?
    I have the means to pay down the MF, how do you calculate it?
    What is MACO and how do I calculate?

Thank you so much for bringing me out of the dark
  • be02939be02939 Member Posts: 14
    Hi Car_Man, thanks for all your help. I have spoken with several S. Cal. dealers and I seem to be getting all kinds of different info.. A few of the dealers has told me that the multiple sec. dep. MF reduction has changed and the amount is not what it used to be. One dealer told me it was .0001 per sec dep.. Another told me .0007 per sec dep with a max of 5.
    Which is correct?

Also, do you know the buy rate for the 550? I have heard .0012 but all the dealers are saying that their minimum is .0017.

I did find one dealer who said with 5 sec deps that he would reduce it to .0012.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • fm1fm1 Member Posts: 20
    Hi car man,

My dealer is asking for $825 as a acquisition fee. Is this common practice during lease? Thanks.

fm
  • pkmrtpkmrt Member Posts: 3
    Hi

I just leased 07 530i the details are as below

Sport, Premium, Heated Seats, Nav

MSRP around 56200

Lease end value 63% - 54200 appx

3 yrs/10000 mile

Monthly 557 + tax

Is this a good deal????

Thanks for the replies
  • pkmrtpkmrt Member Posts: 3
    the lease end value is - around 340000

Thanks
  • awzawz Member Posts: 3
    Thank you Car Man and kydfx, your tips and information have help me a great deal. This is the current deal I'm looking at and the numbers do not seem to add up, please provide me some guidance.

07 530i, 12k, 3yr lease

Options above standard: Premium, Comfort, Cold, Nav, Satellite, and Steptronic Trans. MSRP - $55,515, Lease Sale Price - $53,039 (Dealer says $1,500 over invoice). I have invoice at $51,200.

Residual - .62
    MF - .00065 (Not putting an SD down)
    NC Tax - 3%
    Monthly Payment including tax - $614.56, $596.12 w/o tax.
    Down Payment - $1,115 (1st month + doc fee + tags)

I think they are using $825 versus $625 for the Acquisition fee.

Two questions:

1. Is this a good deal?
    2. Can you negotiate the residual up or the acquisition fee down since my MF is in-line with BFS?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Andy
  • sambo49sambo49 Member Posts: 47
    You can do better. Try 700 down, 660/month payments x 36 months at 10k miles / year.
  • EdsotoEdsoto Member Posts: 42
    On the BMWUSA web site

2007 BMW 530i Sedan Lease Offer
    The cutting edge just got sharper.
    $469*/month for 36 months

Vehicles registered outside of N.Y.
    $469 First month's payment
    $2,500 Down payment
    $500 Security deposit
    $3,469 Cash due at signing

Hope they have this in 10 months (Stuck in an Audi lease)... Ugh.
  • bebopjazzbebopjazz Member Posts: 2
    Carman,

Do you have the new 530i residual for 15k and buyrate money factor for December?

Thanks,
    Bebopjazz
    How can one find out the money factor by bmw financial for a 525xi, 36 months lease, 10k per year, 0 money down?
    Dealer quoted 0.001542 for invoice+500. In reading other messages, I have seen quite a range (0.0005 to 0.002+). Also, is there any recourse after signing lease if dealer inflates the money factor?
  • enicholasenicholas Member Posts: 1
    I have read the guide on Edmunds for leasing. And have a few questions.
    1.Is it common for dealers to lease a vehicle and give you money back on your trade-in? I would like to trade my 05 330xi for a 530xi put 2500 down and pocket the remaing. They want to give me Kelly price for my car which is around 27000 and want to lease full 55,000 for car.
    2. Isn't the price of the car negotiable even in a lease? There car is at least 3000 to high. When I told them they were giving low dollar on my car and wanted top dollar on their car they looked at me like I had three heads and said lease prices are set. Are they lying?
    3. They said today financing was 2% so this .00083. correct?
    Thanks for the help.
    Nick
  • bargamonbargamon Member Posts: 302
    These lease rates are excellent!

Mine will be $5380 msrp
    Discounted to $52,000
    Money rate at .00065
    Residual at 60 (15k miles)
    $1,100 which is first months plus docs and tags

With 3% tax its $643 per month.

This car needs to be ordered and I expect late Feb delivery which is just fine with me.

This is a GOOD deal. Not a steal, not a freaky cheap deal, but a good deal with the local dealer I prefer to work with. I will configure the car the way I want it with only the equipment I want on it! In the color I want, with the interior I want!

Im sure I could have done better with one on the lot, but I am satisfied. In general, can I fine a better car for $643 per month? Nope.

Can I find one configured the way I want it?

I don't want a $1000 comfort key.

Im leasing at 1.56%!!!!!!!! Wahoo!
  • awzawz Member Posts: 3
    The dealer get the money from BMW at the Buy Rate = .0005 with a security deposit for a 530i, not sure if xi is different, if so it would only be a small amount. They are making up their profit by adding .0010 to the buy rate.

From 3 dealers I recieve MF of .00105, .00065, and .00085.

Good luck
    Ok, I will definitely be making a counter offer to the dealer. Many thanks!
  • ukrainianukrainian Member Posts: 10
    hello everyone, new to the site and to the carbuying experience. will be leasing my first car (bmw hopefully) this december. Specifically the help i need is EVERYTHING.

i would like to get an all wheel drive 5 series model (525xi or 530xi) in Black color in brooklyn, NY. must have navigation, leather, xenon HL, and AT LEAST 15K miles (more is better). as u can tell, I don't know much about cars or buying one.

So, please let me know, how much should i be paying up front (i would like the minimum possible) what should be the fees, money factor, residual, what should i reduce the MSRP down to? and most importantly what would be my monthly payment (is it possible to get it under 500/month)?

Anything I didn't think to ask that you know I should have please advise as well.

And lastly, has anyone bought something similar recently that could actually point me to a good dealer.

PS. Any dealers reading this jump in as well, as I am shopping aggressively right now, would like to have the car by end of DECEMBER< THE sooner the better.
  • corschecorsche Member Posts: 29
    I am in So Cal looking for a 550 as well. Can you tell me where you have found the best price on the vehicle. the best I have found is $2K off msrp from a dealer and carsdirect is offering $2,795 off msrp. I appreciat any info.

George
  • arieschiangarieschiang Member Posts: 2
    Good evening everybody!

I am new to this site and I have some question regarding my lease program. I just lease a 07 BMW 530i in North California.

The MSRP is 56500, I finally get the deal of $53500

$3000 down payment
    36 month, 10000 miles/year
    Residual Value: 63%

Monthly payment: $617

Is this a good deal?
  • be02939be02939 Member Posts: 14
    George, I have found that most dealers will sell it for 2,000 over the Edmunds invoice. What I haven't found is any consistency in the MF.
  • rolypolyrolypoly Member Posts: 5
    This is my first car ever, so it is also my first lease so I really am a little confused by all the technical jargon.
    I made a deposit for this 525i and will be picking this up on Tuesday when dealer gets the car. Options are automatic/leather/xenon. Cap cost is $44750. Total down is $6000 with $4000 security deposit to reduce the MF to .00044. Monthly payment for 28 months will be $470.87. This is 15k/mo. Am I missing any other details?
  • lamplamp Member Posts: 20
    I just got a call from one of the local dealers in so cal,
    2007 530i, 36mo lease, premium pkg, park distance control, auto tranny,
    15k miles per year, drive off is a little over $1000 (that includes first month payment, title, doc fee etc).
    monthly payment is $639 before tax...which will be $692 after 8.25% CA sales tax.

How's that deal sound??
  • albacore1albacore1 Member Posts: 6
    Help, I'm in way over my head....new to leasing....have ordered 2007 530xi wagon, std trans, w/ cold weather pkg, sport pkg, sirius, park distance, nav and dealer to deliver to FL (winter res--dealer in MA)...paying too much at 59640 (695 for dest inc in that #); am going to lease it--for 12k miles py for 36 mos; putting down max sec deps at 4900 (7); mf quoted at .00081........don't feel like fighting with dealer, but seems high--comments???
    Thanks for help!
  • ukrainianukrainian Member Posts: 10
    this is my final deal, I'm getting the car. 525xi 15K/36months, auto tranny, navi, cold weather.

total is 50,320 (about) nogotiated price is 48,375

Upfront is about 6,100 with 512monthly. is this a bad deal or good?

Getting really worried that I might have gotten screwed.
  • sixpaqssixpaqs Member Posts: 21
    Lamp, I don't think it sounds too bad. I have a 530i on order, 36 months, 15k miles/year. Premium package, sirius, no pdc, no automatic. Due at start is first payment, doc fees, and sec deposit ($600). My payment is $583, which is $625 with the 7% FL sales tax. Just so you can compare what you are getting. I don't know if mine is that great. I didn't haggle too much with the salesperson. Did it all by email.
  • shuale_ejsshuale_ejs Member Posts: 115
    :blush: Hi Carman,
    Just wanted to get your take on this before I called my salesperson. I ordered a 530i in one color and then a week later decided to change the color...the salesperson told me he would have to order another car because you can not make changes to an order once it's placed. I felt bad but asked him to please re-order the car in the second color. Well...now...it's been about 2 weeks since that order and...I really decided that I would like to add the Nav sys to the car. I really want it, but I'm afraid to call him back and change everything again being that this would be a 3rd car order. He's really nice, but I don't want to overdue his welcome (so to speak). Everyone is telling me that I should get the car I want and I'm not the first person to re-order a car...but I'm nervous...will the dealer suffer a loss in anyway, because now they will have 2 additional cars on their lot.

What can I do?
  • bu96bu96 Member Posts: 19
    sixpags: what was the MSRP? Thanks Lamp for your help.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Order what you want. The dealer will NOT have "extra cars." He will only get what he actually ordered. And changes can be made to an order up to the point that it's actually being built.
  • shuale_ejsshuale_ejs Member Posts: 115
    Thanks. I'm going to call him now and see what he says. I don't know why I so nervous....
  • albacore1albacore1 Member Posts: 6
    Car_man,
    Can you help with my lease questions in message 1101?
    Thank you!
    Albacore1
  • lamplamp Member Posts: 20
    I applied the BMW lease credit application online and got approved, then the BMW center I selected (in los angeles) called and i told'em i got an offer from another dealer near by see if he can beat it, now he offers me $610 before tax per month ($660 after 8.25% CA tax)
    36mo lease, 15k miles per year, titanium gray, premium pkg, auto, park distance control (msrp 51500), $1921 due at signing (1st month payment, DMV fee, acquisition fee, doc, bank fee etc).
    Car_man, How's that sound? (its cheaper than my previous offer from another dealer $639 before tax per month)

I am getting ready to seal the deal next week.

Thanks!
  • sixpaqssixpaqs Member Posts: 21
    MSPR is $50590. I didn't load up on options. I am regretting not having gotten the sports package, but too late.
  • tinocotinoco Member Posts: 18
    What is the MSRP on your car? I got a 530i about a month ago, msrp of 54,070.00 paid about $900.00 over invoice and monthly payments of $585.00 (this is including tax). I used 4 security deposits to lower my MF, and will be getting those back once I return the car. Let me know if you like the deal. I can get you in touch with the dealership the salesperson. I am also in SoCal.
    I don't think that is a great deal.. I got a 530i recently - msrp of 54,070.00 paid $900.00 over invoice, no down payment, I included 4 security deposits, each sec. deposit is equal to one months payment, however you get this money back when you return the car at the end of the lease - the purpose if this is to lower the Money Factor. My monthly payment, including tax is $585.00 - did a lot of work to get to this point but well worth it. You can email me if you'd like and I can give you the dealership and the salesperson I dealt with. Good Luck!
    I got a 530i recently - msrp of 54,070.00 paid $900.00 over invoice, no down payment, I included 4 security deposits, each sec. deposit is equal to one months payment, however you get this money back when you return the car at the end of the lease - the purpose if this is to lower the Money Factor. My monthly payment, including tax is $585.00 - did a lot of work to get to this point but well worth it. You can email me if you'd like and I can give you the dealership and the salesperson I dealt with. Good Luck!
  • mtroymtroy Member Posts: 45
    tinoco: what dealership was it in So Cal? I'm new to this forum, and I don't know how to email you directly.
  • joetallyhojoetallyho Member Posts: 3
    2007 530i: Auto, CW, Preimum, Nav, Logic 7. MSRP $55,120 Sale Price $52,520. REsidual $34,725.6; 36mo/10K miles. NJ Sales Tax of 7%. Acq Fee: $625, Doc. Fee $125, Tax and Registration $495.58. Monthly payment $531.3.

Get this, NJ now charges a luxury tax of .4% for amount over $45K!

Initial Payment is $4,400 (7 MSD) + $1,776.88 = $6,176.

CA said that Initial MF of .0005 has been reduced to .00001. But when my application cleared BMWFS, they told CA that the minimum MF is .00004 with the 7 MSD's. And total MSD went up to $4,800 and monthly payment went up a few dollars/month

What is the per MSD MF reduction (he initially told me it was .00007 per MSD =>
    .000049 total reduction and final MF of .00001)?

So, what is the lowest MF BMWFS will go with maximum of 7 MSD's?

Does this sound correct?

Thanks - I've used this website to help with negotiations, however, written proof from competitor dealer was required to get this deal.

Joe
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,826
    The minimum money factor that BMWFS will use is .00005

Because of this, you should only make 6 additional MSDs, resulting in a final MF of .00008 (.00050 - .00042)

So, your payment will be a little higher.. but, you should only have to make 6 MSDs..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• jietohjietoh Member Posts: 1
    Wondering if anyone could share what price they were able to get for a lease on a 2006 530xi in Illinois?

Thanks!
  • joetallyhojoetallyho Member Posts: 3
    kyfdx,

Thanks. Clarification. Initially, CA was NOt going to ask for any security deposit but then the MSD would be .000065. Paying at least one security deposit, he lowered that to the promotion buy rate of .0005.

You say "6 additional MSDs". Should I read that to be 6 TOTAL MSDs? Or one to get the byu rate and 6 additional to get to the lowest MSD of .00008.

I think I understand what you are saying is that I should not put down the 7th MSD because the additional amount will not get me to a better MF as did the first 6 MSDs. Therefore, I am better off investing that 7th MSD since the return in lower MF is very small compared to the slightly higher payment.

One final question, is there a formal equation to calculate the Security Deposit amount? My CA said the deposit is the monthly payment rounded up to the next highest $50 amount. So, if my payment is $531. They deposit would be $550. Is that a fair calculation or required by BMWFS?

Thanks a bunch ,

Joe
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,826
    If you are a new BMWFS customer, then you are required to make a security deposit, otherwise there is a waiver bump to the money factor.... exactly as your CA described it... .0005 base rate w/security deposit.. .00065 without.

This deposit is separate from the MSD program.. You have it exactly right... 6 additional MSDs..

And.. again.. you have it correct.. No point in making the 7th MSD, as the return is very small.

Your CA also gave you good information about the amount of the security deposit... Rounded up to the next $50 increment, just as you described.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• homerj31homerj31 Member Posts: 13
    Does any one have residual value and money factor for the 525i? I am looking for 15k miles per year and 28 months (the current lease special) and 36 months, I called the local dealer and they wouldn't supply any information. :mad:
  • cassvirgocassvirgo Member Posts: 2
    MSRP: $63,065
    Asking Price: $60,179
    $4k to drive off (tax, title, , license, acquistion)

36/36K $715 a month

Is this a good deal?

Here are the specs:

2007 530xiT

Auto, Premium, Nav, cold weather, Logic 7, sat radio,
    comfort access, park distance control, rear seat heaters,
    rear window shades
  • homerj31homerj31 Member Posts: 13
    I found them over at bimmerfest , the numbers look the same as last month..
  • f4rocksf4rocks Member Posts: 3
    Hello, i'm trying to lease a 2007 base 525i with Automatic Transmission as the only option.
    I was qouted $3750.00 down and $379. a month (tax excluded).
    Salesman said he is giving it to me for $43,500 and at 72%
    residual. I don't even know what that means. :(
    Is this a good deal? I'm trying to make the
    Jan. 2 deadline.
    Appreciate all the help. Thanks! :)
    I would suggest you read up on leasing of vehicles before you make the transaction. There are several websites that you will find helpful.

It seems that you are getting is acceptable, but you did not mention the duration of your lease.

When you lease a vehicle, you basically are "renting" it for an extended period of time. So your first question should be: what is the duration of the lease?

Make sure this is a closed end lease, whereby you have the option to walk away from your car when the lease expires and have the option to purchase it if you want to do so.

While you are leasing your BMW, it will depreciate in value, in your case it is depreciating by 28% (100%-72%). This is a low depreciation, so I suspect your lease is for less than 3 years. I have seen 36 months leases with 33% depreciation.

The number of miles you put on the car while leasing it also affect the residual value. So your second questions is: "What are the number of miles allowed for the duration of the lease?". I suspect you have 10,000 miles per year. You could negotiate 12,000 or 15,000 miles per year but your lease payments generally would go up. You will have to decide how much you drive your car and decide accordingly.

You should negotiate the selling price of the car as if you were buying it. The invoice on this car is 41,400 including the auto transmission, add another 695 for destination = 42,095. So at 43,500 the dealer is making 1,405 profit. Given the time of the year, you can probably reduce the purchase price to well under 43,000.

Once you get to leasing, you need to be very careful, as the process is confusing. Watch out for the lease initiation fee ($400 to $800). You also need to ask for the money factor, which once you multiply by 2400 gives you the percentage rate on you lease. Several websites indicate the BMW is extending 0.0005 rate (0.0005*2400=1.2%). Dealers can jack this number up to make profit, so ask for the leasing rate. I suspect you are paying 0.001 (2.4%) which is acceptable, but you have some room to negotiate.

Once you have all this data, you can add the tax, tags and calculate your lease payments. Any reputable dealer would show you how they calculate the numbers and arrive at the lease payments.

Good Luck.
  • f4rocksf4rocks Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the reply. I got the car yesterday. The lease
    is for 10K miles a year, 28 months, base 525i w/ auto.
    Salesman told me I was already on the .0010 MF. I asked
    him if he can lower the downpayment a little but he said no.
    He told me that cars are leaving the lot very quickly. In my
    1 1/2 hr of stay in the dealership, I saw 6 cars leave the lot.
    So I believe him when he said they sold 21 cars that day.
    I had to wait 30 minutes for the finance dept and I probably
    spent less than 10 mins in there (which I liked). He was rushing bec. there were 3 more behind me. And this was at past 8pm.
    I bought the "Safe Lease" program, which covers scratches, dings, tires, etc, for $865 which added $30 on my monthly
    dues. I think it was worth it and overall, I think I had a very fair deal. What do you think?
    $3750.00 down, $440 a month (with tax and "Safe Lease" incl)
  • prancinghorse9prancinghorse9 Member Posts: 11
    hi all
    2007 530 msrp 54870
    nav, premium parktronic auto
    zero down, zero drive off, zero security
    668/month tax included
    36 month 15000/yr
    any thoughts on it
This discussion has been closed.