Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Lease Questions

Comments

• jmcbmwjmcbmw Member Posts: 85
    I was told by my dealer that the loyalty program is for current BMWFS customers OR those who's financing has been within the past 6-months. Does anybody have NOV Lease rates yet?
  • macdadmacdad Member Posts: 75
    I have a 24 month lease coming to an end (Dec. 29).

If I choose to lease again is my original security deposit returned with no requirement for a new security deposit or is my original deposit rolled over to the new lease?

What is the current loyalty program/discount - if any?

Can you still do multiple security deposits and what is the value of each deposit?

Thank you
  • efrommeefromme Member Posts: 2
    2008 535 xi with premium, sport, nav, and Ipod. 10k / 36 months 785/month including tax with 2300 at signing.(NO CAP COST REDUCTION) Is this any good??
  • sls1sls1 Member Posts: 45
    macdad, I have a similar issue.

My 24 month lease on my 2006 530i expires in January. I'm currently paying $592.00 a month plus tax. I'm under the miles so that is not an issue. I'm very happy with the car but not sure what I should do when the lease expires.
    Should I lease a 2008 535i? or does it make more sense to extend my current lease?
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Should I lease a 2008 535i? or does it make more sense to extend my current lease?

See what the money factor and monthly payments are being a previous BMWFS customer. You may find them to be more favorable with the new model as your old lease. The new 535 has subtle but nice changes and improvements and is awesome. I'd highly recommend it.
    AS far as extending you current lease I have heard you can get a short extension from BMWFS but that may only get you a few months and re-leasing your current auto from the dealer may not be very attractive. I have nothing to base this on other than what I have read here.

For my own lease-

First I need to know the MF/R for November to have some numbers to work with (my lease is up Dec 29th). It would seem BMW would see the value in offering current customers a discount to keep them but I only see it show up here occasionally. My thinking is to add multiple security deposits to a discounted MF (if allowed). I already have my previous security deposit available and I understand a sec. dep. is not required for a returning customer. BMW has a high residual but the payment can really affected by the MF.

If you add up a high residual, no new sec. dep., a loyalty discount on the MF + multiple security deposits - you could come away with a very attractive lease. I will have to wait and see what info shows up here.

My car is scheduled for regular brake fluid service in a couple of days so I may ask when I am there. I have considered purchasing my car at lease end so I will let my salesperson know this to keep him honest (although he was very straightforward to deal with the first time around). I have talked to two associates who attend one of the largest auctions in the country (Orlando,FL) on a weekly basis and my lease end payoff is not that far from what they can get my same car for after their fee plus the auction fee. I would bypass a dealer completely but both of them put a real value on the fact that I am the owner of my car and know its condition.

Sorry for the long post - just getting opinions

macdad
  • kulasokulaso Member Posts: 11
    I got a great lease from BMW of Mountain View for a 2007 525i with Sport, Premium, and Nav, for just $510/month. The lease has 16 months remaining on it with 22,000 remaining miles. Fully transferable lease from BMW financial. If you are in the Bay Area and interested please let me know 650-224-2958. Thanks.
    just a follow-up

My salesman says the MF for a current customer is around
    .0190 and multiple security deposits are available. He recommended I talk to the finance person to confirm which I will do this week.

macdad
  • carrerahcarrerah Member Posts: 23
    Hi there. Still trying to nail down the MF (buy rate, lowest rate, etc) on a 535i in Northern CA. 15k miles, tier 1 credit, non-BMWFS customer. Any info you can get and pass on from the Finance Manager is appreciated. Thanks...
    according to roadfly the rates for 15K miles are:
    24 mo - 71%R and .00225 MF
    36 mo - 60%R abd .00225 MF

I think BMWFS is a pass/fail for credit (it was on my lease)
  • green_applegreen_apple Member Posts: 2
    what color is the car?
    Any accidents or damages?
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    I read somewhere on Bimmerfest or E60.net that current rates on a purchase were running from, what was it, 3.9% on all 5-series and 4.9% on the M5. I can't for the life of me find the link/reference now. Are those rates correct? Does anybody know?

Again, those are purchase rates, not leases.
    It is a dark gray metallic. No accidents or damages. Just don't need a third car any more. This is the fourth bimmer I bought from BMW Mtn View so I get a very good deal always. Car is perfect and you are welcome to take a look. BTW you need a credit score of 740 or more to be able to do the transfer according the BMW financial. Thanks.
  • topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    On first glance it seems like a very good deal. Find out what selling price the lease is based on. Then with the MF and residual you will have all the factors you need to judge the deal. Since MF and residuals are standard through BMW Finance you would just want to check those only.
    So selling price is probably the one variable that you can easily shop with all others being constant.
    I ordered a very similar car and didn't do the multiple security deposits because it's from NY dealer and they said they cannot. I didn't realize that a NJ dealer selling to a NY customer could do it. I am getting 15K miles per year on a similar priced car (I assume you are getting the 550i sport for the price I saw listed). My deal was based on invoice plus 1450. I did not qualify for BMW loyalty rate on MF. Are you getting that? My payment is about 200 more per month for 36 mos. I'm not sure why your payment would be so much less (msd's will reduce the payment). But it seems like a great deal from here.
    Since I got several requests for photos here they are. Sorry for the dark background. I hate day light savings! Photos
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi richardga73. The special lease money factor reduction that BMW Financial Services is offering to loyal customers is only available to current lessees who are at least half way through their deals and to former lessees who ended their deals up to six months ago.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hi Camil. Let's crunch some numbers and see what sort of lease payment we come up with. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2008 BMW 535i that has an MSRP of $59,270 and a selling price of $56,638 through BMW Financial Services right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment would be around $747. This includes BMW's special loyalty money factor reduction for returning lessees.

Car_man
    Host
    Welcome aboard, carrerah. Here's the info that you're looking for. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 535i with 15,000 miles per year are .00225 and 60%, respectively. Good luck in your quest for a new vehicle and let us know if you have any other questions.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi efromme. You never mentioned the selling price or MSRP of the car that you are interested in leasing. These are important numbers for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing what this vehicle's selling price is in relation to its MSRP you don't know how much of a discount you are getting on it. The second reason is that one needs the selling price and MSRP, including the destination charge, of a vehicle to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion of this deal if you let me know what these numbers are.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello tayl0rd. I know that BMW Financial Services is offering special financing rates for conventional loans on 2008 3-Series models, but I do not believe that it is currently offering any special rates on the 2008 5-Series. If this is indeed the case, then you would probably be better off financing the 5-Series that you want through an independent bank. Independent banks usually have more attractive unsupported rates than manufacturers' captive finance companies.

Car_man
    Host
    what is the value of each multiple security deposit and can they be added on top of a current customer MF discount for another lease.

macdad
  • efrommeefromme Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Car_man for getting back to me.

The msrp is 58,075 and the selling price is 54800. 775 destination charge. 2008 535xi sports package, premium package, navigation, and ipod. 10,000 mi / 36 mos.
  • jgolden1000jgolden1000 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for a 550i manual 36 month lease. I am not the kind that will fight tooth and nail with a dealer, but I wanted to have a sense of a fair price before going into this. I was quoted $998 / month, $3k at signing (or $967. $4k at signing), but that seems a little high. Can someone provide info, money factor, residual, cap cost.

The figures above include taxes and I am in CA.

Thanks!
  • jgolden1000jgolden1000 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry, also would looking at a 10k/yr lease.
  • camilcamil Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Car man. What money factor are you using? I can back into residual.
  • cstatencstaten Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking at a 2008 535i with MSRP at $59,270. I want to lease for 36 months @ 15K miles/year. I'm not a returning leasee, so can someone tell me what the current BMW Financial Services money factor is (assuming excellent credit). I'm also assuming 60% residual, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks
  • carrerahcarrerah Member Posts: 23
    Hi there. I just worked out what I thought was the best rate on a 2008 535i - as follows:

15k miles, 36 month lease, 60% resdiual, 225 or 240 money factor with or without security deposit.

Hope this helps...
  • veenieweenieveenieweenie Member Posts: 1
    Help....someone....please...

Hi townhall,

I'm a 24 year old daughter trying to help my dad. Because he's old and a lil incompetent, I have to help him... because he's a really nice guy and often doesn't know what he's doing, and he gets ripped off and taken advantage of alot.

Anyways, him and his business partner want to each lease a 2008 BMW 528xi. My dad's business partner knows what he's doing better than my father, but i feel like he too is gettting ripped off. If they were smart, they would have gotten a hell of a good deal because they are leasing TWO cars through thier corporation...but alas....the bmw dealer got the best of them, in my opinion

The car that he is trying to push onto my dad, a BMW 528xi, with navigation, satellite radio, cold-weather, ipod integration, and premium package is not even the car that my dad wants, it has a bunch of extras in it. And still they won't budge on any numbers. Anyways, for this car, the bmw dealer told my dad that he was giving him a really good deal by giving him 1,300 off of the MSRP ($53, 220) and giving him a lease of 895.06 a month. My dad also has to give a security deposit and 900$ up front. He saidthe selling price is $51,920 and that the residual value is $31,932.00 This whole thing sounds like utter hogwash to me from what I have been reading here.

For a 36 month lease, 15,000 miles, 0 down payment, on a bmw 528xi...that is waaay too much....right?

I admit that i'm way in over my head here, and, i'm really confused by everything but i'm trying to figure it out by reading everyone's posts. So that's why i'm sincerely asking for help.

Can someone tell me what the invoice price, the selling price, the msrp, the money factor, the lease payments shoud be? And can someone explain to me what these things mean, and how to go about this?

Thank you all very much. I really really really appreciate your help

Sincerely,
    NM
  • green_applegreen_apple Member Posts: 2
    hi
    is the car still available?
    let me know.
    thanks

davidjbyun @ hotmail . com
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    Trust your intuition on this one! The lease payment is high, but it might be based on a bogus MF. What MF (money factor) was quoted?
  • smithsongasmithsonga Member Posts: 123
    Can someone please help verify I am computing a 535i lease correctly.

If the MSRP is $55200 and sales price is $54500, 36 month residual is 60% (15k mile lease) and money factor is 0.00225

With NO cap cost reduction:

without sales tax, I get $791/month. with my 7% tax, it is $846.

I assume my out of pocket would be first month+security. so about $1746 or so.

Is that correct? it is crazy high to me. Any better deal out there? how to decrease the money factor?

The 5-series market seems tight, can I push for a better sales price?

thx
    your addition is correct but you left out the acquisition fee of around 700 + some tax and tag fees at start-up. Your security deposit is rounded up to the nearest $50.

BMW lets you purchase a reduced money factor by paying multiple security deposits up front. Each reduction is .00007 off with up to seven available. if you paid seven your new MF would be .00176 and would cost 5600 and give you a new payment with tax of 799.51. You will get the money back at lease end but it will take a couple of months and according to the finance guy it can not be rolled into a new lease. Is the upfront money worth th ~50/mo. savings?

If possible, you could do a 12k lease and get a better Residual unless you need the mileage.

macdad
    thanks macdad.

Ok, acq fee AND first month AND security deposit. Geez. Acq fee is a crock.

will consider the multiple security deposits,but would have to compare the return if I did something else with that money.

I used 15k lease to be sure I was calculating it correctly, I would actually most likely use a 10k lease which adds 3% to the residual.

thanks again.
  • rsterrster Member Posts: 2
    Hey topspin,
    I knew it was a pretty good deal, i shopped all over the place, and pulled the trigger two weeks ago, its 550i sport pacakage, and other goodies no HUD though and I did qualify for loyality rate, for 15k it was $30 more but i didnt need it.
    Hope it helps, feel free to ask anyother details.
  • elanzillottaelanzillotta Member Posts: 6
    Hello everyone,

I just came across the MF/R for Nov. 2007. Can anyone confirm these as accurate? (see below)

My second BMW lease is up next month and I'm looking into getting into my third. Do you guys know the criteria for qualifying for the loyalty discount in order to get a lower MF? Also, I read on this board something about paying down multiple deposits in order to get the MF even lower. Does anyone have more specifics on that. Also, considering this would be my third lease with BMW FS, I wouldn't have to cough up another sec. deposit because it's been rolling over since I got into my first lease. Does this sound correct? Ok, no more questions, lol. Any feedback is well appreciated.

BMW Financial Services Lease Programs – 11/3/07

For lease programs shown in BOLD, a bank lease program may have lower payments. Click on a vehicle name to compare current bank lease programs through LeaseCompare.com.

2008 MODELS

2008 BMW 528i Sedan
    24 Month – Residual 73% of MSRP – .00225 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 60% of MSRP – .00225 Base Rate
    48 Month – Residual 42% of MSRP – .00305 Base Rate
    60 Month – Residual 34% of MSRP – .00305 Base Rate

2008 BMW 528xi Sedan
    24 Month – Residual 71% of MSRP – .00225 Base Rate

2008 BMW 535i Sedan
    24 Month – Residual 71% of MSRP – .00225 Base Rate

2008 BMW 535xi Sedan
    24 Month – Residual 70% of MSRP – .00225 Base Rate

2008 BMW 535xi Wagon
    48 Month – Residual 38% of MSRP – .00305 Base Rate
    60 Month – Residual 30% of MSRP – .00305 Base Rate

2008 BMW 550i Sedan
    24 Month – Residual 69% of MSRP – .00305 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 59% of MSRP – .00305 Base Rate
    48 Month – Residual 36% of MSRP – .00305 Base Rate
    60 Month – Residual 28% of MSRP – .00305 Base Rate

2008 BMW M5 Sedan
    24 Month – Residual 70% of MSRP – .00305 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 57% of MSRP – .00305 Base Rate
    48 Month – Residual 43% of MSRP – .00305 Base Rate
  • 535xi535xi Member Posts: 1
    Not to rub it in but I just worked out two deals:

1. 528xi....prem,sport,cold,nav, 18alloys,sirius, sunshades,metalic paint 12x36 lease, 2200 down 699 month including tax and reg

2. 535xi...same as above....769

I think these are good numbers.....I can't seem to get any lower.
    My lease is up in December and I just talked to the Finance person 11/14. I am under a current lease and I qualify for the discount. He says it is not on all cars and does not automatically run every month. I know it is on a 528 (the car I am looking at) and 328 sedan. It was not on a coupe or 335 coupe or sedan. I do not remember if it was on an "x" model or the x3 or x5 - you would have to ask about your specific interest. The discount is .00045 off the base MF. Multiple security deposits are only worth .00007 (he said the program used to be .00015 which is why not many people take advantage of the program now) and you can make up to seven.
    As for your security deposit - I was told the original deposit would be refunded and is not applied or need to be carried over - there just is not one required after the first lease.

Both the my salesman and the finance dept says these programs are subject to change so I will have to check back in December to confirm availability. It seems the loyalty program follows cars that are not selling as strong as others.

macdad
  • elanzillottaelanzillotta Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for sharing the numbers. I'll let you what kind of deal I come across. Happy shopping next month!
    Is BMW running a winter special like Mercedes?
    Just spoke with BMW dealer and he was pushing the 528i. I'm currently driving a 2006 530i and was considering leasing a 535i prior to speaking with the dealer. He claims that the 528i is very similar to my current car. Thoughts?
  • dark_katanadark_katana Member Posts: 46
    My thought is that the dealer must have a surplus of 528s in inventory if he's trying to "down sell" you from a 535!

Horsepower wise, the 528 and 530 may be similar (230 hp vs. 255 hp) but the 535 is much closer in spirit to your 530. Regardless, the 535 engine is so dramatically superior to any other six cylinder on the road (leaving aside the Porsche flat six), I wouldn't even consider downgrading to the 528 unless it was financially impossible to swing the extra $80/month lease payment.
    No. BMW will not do an "end of year" program like Mercedes (and Lexus) on the 5 series because the 2008 model year was introduced in late spring of 2007. The 2008s are going to be sold for a good long time before the 2009s make an appearance (in advance of the brand new sixth generation 5 Series to be introduced in 2010).

If you check out the current lease deals for November, you can see that BMW already has a very generous leasing program on the 5 Series. Particularly given how far the Dollar has fallen against the Euro in the last two months.
  • webster3webster3 Member Posts: 2
    I have an offer for 08 535xi with premium package, cold weather package as follows:
    MSRP-$51,600
    Premium Package- $2,100
    Cold Weather Package- $750
    Destination- $775.
    Total- $55,225
    Discount- $1425
    Cap Cost $ 53,800.

24 months 70% Residual 20,000 miles per year MF-.00265 NJ sales tax included $1054 per month
    30 months 66% Residual 20,000 miles per year MF- .00265 $982. per month

Am I being taken?
    I get $1030.46/month on a 24 month lease with nothing down.

I assumed that the additional 10,000 miles over the standard 15,000 mile/year allowance was excess miles and worked that into the payment. Also, your money factor seems a little high.

2008 BMW 535xi Sedan

Bimmerfest.com has an awesome lease calculator for BMW's here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60089&page=2

Just make sure you update the destination charge to $775.
  • webster3webster3 Member Posts: 2
    Is this a good deal?
    I don't think it's anything special. Why not go back to the dealer with the residuals and money factors CarMan gave for November and see if the dealer will do a little better on the money factor? BMW's lease rates are very, very good right now, so at least make sure you get that rate. If the dealer won't give you the BMW-subsidized rate, he should be able to explain why not.

BTW, would you be kind enough to PM me with the name of the dealer in New Jersey you are working with?
  • gotobmwgotobmw Member Posts: 2
    I am considering leasing a 2008 528i, w/ sport pkg, premium pkg, ipod int, and serius sat,
    total msrp with options =$50,575- negotiated down to $49,290.
    $3000 total out of pkt and 575+ tax per month , 24 months.

Is this a good deal or am I getting ripped off?
    thx, from S Florida
    This appears to be a good deal, but you need to better define the $3k out of pocket and your annual miles (affects the residual).

Typically there are these costs:
    - Acquistion fee ($625 typically..but can be hundreds higher). This is typically put into the cap cost of the lease vs. pay up front.
    - First month payment
    - Security deposit (I think rounded up to nearest hundred)
    - Doc Fee...it is $399 typically in my area...but really varies.

So assuming your ACQ fee is in the lease, your up front $3k is a combo of the others above + cap cost reduction.

paying money down on a lease to reduce payment isnt the best financial use of the money, but that is your preference of course.

Ask the dealer for these costs and the lease details, e.g. Money factor and residual value used for the miles/year you chose.
  • gotobmwgotobmw Member Posts: 2
    The deal is for 12k per year. The 3K includes 1st payment,tax tag, and dealer fees.
    The residual is 38,755. Do you still feel its a good deal?
    thanks again!
    Can anyone confirm a couple of things -

Local dealer says the December R + MF are the same as November - y/n

The loyalty discount on the MF for current customers was discontinued - y/n

there is a 1000 cash available from BMW to be applied to upfront cost or as cap. cost red. (this may be for current customers only to replace the discontinued MF reduction, not sure) - y/n

thank you
This discussion has been closed.