Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 5-Series Lease Questions

Comments

• Options
    pensionpension Member Posts: 7
    Base car with heated seats HD radio. $44,000. Yes 12k per year and 20 cents after. I will probably exceed by a little and pay $1,000 at end. While I work with numbers all day I 'm bemused by all the calculations I se on here. Basically I will shell out $15,099 in total(inc. deposit) over two years, with the free maintenance this is a great deal for a $45k car which would depreciate by that anyway. I buy all my other cars - BMW's lease is a no brainer.
  • Options
    webbawebba Member Posts: 30
    528i with premium package, sport package, navigation, xenon, heated front seats
    MSRP: $53,375 (includes destination)

Selling price: $49,170 (includes destination and 1K rebate)
    Term: 36 month with 12K per year
    Residual: 62%
    MF: 0.00225
    Sales Tax: $2,513.5 (state tax is on selling price not just on depreciated amount)
    Process fee: $100
    2-years Tag: $270
    Security deposit: $750

Dealer is saying $1,493.04 initial payment (includes first month and security deposit) and $743.04 (includes tax) per month afterwards, but according to my calculation the payment should be $718.27 (includes tax) per month. It seems like $1k is being added to the Net Cap cost. Could somebody verify this for me? and also do you think this is a good deal?

Thank you,
  • Options
    amandad123amandad123 Member Posts: 4
    :cry: :confuse: I visted two BMW dealerships today..Vista BMW Coconut Creek, FL and Vista BMW Fort Lauderdale, FL...I was given two totally different quotes...First Coconut Creek gave me a quote on a 2008 BMW 535i premium package for $52 and change with $1000 incentive included....10,000 miles...24 month lease....I told them I want my payment to be $530 tax included.....he told me its possible with 11,000 down......He didnt run my credit although it is good with good auto credit history.....I left there and i went to there brother/sister store in fort lauderdale...same car/price\ and i was told $6500-$7000 down for $530 a month....Why am i being told such a big difference in down payment?? Same company...same inventory...I know they have quotas to meet but it still doesnt make sense....I left there and said I would be back tommorow...or not.....I have no clue whether i should go to a third dealer or go back to the first dealer and ask them to beat it.....i did call the first dealer i went to and they said theres no way i was told that offer...i didnt tell them who gave me the better offer...should i? its the same company.....i also want the black with natural brown color but was told i HAVE to put money down before the car comes in....i feel like im getting taken advantage of because im 21 years old...but i have bought and leased a car before and almost got screwed both times so i know to be careful and to ignore their aggressiveness...what do i do?

look what the first dealer emailed me saying:

I’d love to be the one who earns your business and hopefully you noticed how professional and straight forward I am. So straight forward that my General Manager happed to come in for 10 minutes and I brought up your email to him. When he saw your address he told me lets check it out. Turns out that Phil’s lease was 36 months 12K miles. I am embarrased to tell you that his word were that he will let you have the same deal, with 10k miles and 24 months. He rather make no money than letting you buy far from us. The car I will have for you is 2008 535 Black Saphire with Natural Brown Dakota Leather, premium package, automatic transmission, satellite radio and iPod interface. If you would like to give me your business, we will have to meet here, put everything in black and white, signed by him for your piece of mind, get your credit information to send it to BMW Financial Services and lock in the faboulus December program. We will take $ 1000 partial payment which will be refundable if any thing is different than what he signed for. I want you to give it some thought, and if you’d like to secure that car (just in case somebody else in the country does), give a call for an appointment. I am off as of now till Tuesday but should you get itchy, as long as you let me know before, I can make myself available for you tomorrow late afternoon. Thank you for communicating back to me. Rico.

HAHAHAHAHA
  • Options
    smithsongasmithsonga Member Posts: 123
    Holy cow....that is more shovelling than the NE needs today.

Just email 4-5 dealers, tell them the car you want, tell them where it is or let them find it.

Have the quote PRICE first. When you have a good price, TELL them the residual and Money factor they should use...TELL them the $625 ACQ fee. TELL them the resulting lease price (www.leaseguide.com/calc).

Play 4-5 dealers off each other. Be patient but ruthless.
  • Options
    Thanks alot for taking the time to respond to my post.....What exactly is the money factor and residual??..........yes they wanted 825 acq. fee......im going to go to 2 more dealers and see what i get....i dealt with this with my 300C....i went from $720 to $490 lease payment and from $4500 down to no money down between dealing with 4 dealerships...its nuts how big of a price difference you can get from one dealer to another....price gauging should be against the law for autos...lol...and i hate being told they can do it if you sign asap..cuz even when you dont sign right on the spot, they will still haunt you for weeks....
  • Options
    lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    I don't believe the "sign and drive" lease should adversely affect your MF at all. I received both a sign & drive as well as cap cost reduction quote and both had the same MF... although I have not pulled the trigger and am still hanging on to my '03 5er.
  • Options
    jamesd553jamesd553 Member Posts: 2
    Ok, I emailed 3 dealers around Los Angeles for a 535i... w/ Sport, Prem, Nav and Heated seats. KBB has MSRP at 57,375.and invoice of 52780. I told them I wanted 3 year, 12000/mi lease. One already came back with:

MSRP: 57375
    Your Price: 53940
    No money down, payment: 698 + Tax 36/10000 miles.

I called and she said I was getting 1000 wich was going towards cap reduction so its not included in the price and a MF of .00225.

From what I read this sounds like a great deal espcially right off the bat. Does anyone else think I should try to hold out for something better or are they just giving me their best deal first?
  • Options
    ninabeemerninabeemer Member Posts: 8
    They NEVER give you their best deal first! If I understand you correctly, they've factored in the $1K incentive into "your price", so you're paying $53,940 for the car. I ran the numbers and, based on that price, the sticker, and the MF, that payment comes out correct. However, the invoice on that car is $52,780, and with the $1K incentive their true "invoice" is $51,780. So you're giving them a $2K profit, which may be the best you can do, maybe (probably) not. :D For every $1K you get off the price, your payment decreases by about $30 / month. I'd start at $51,780 and negotiate up from there, not down from their price. Good luck! ;)
  • Options
    smithsongasmithsonga Member Posts: 123
    Agreed...average deal.

Try to get a better price.

verify the 'no money down'. I assume you have to pay 1st month, security deposit...so that is $1400 right there. They normally hit you with a doc fee...of $299-$499.

Verify the Acquistion fee...it is normally rolled into your cap cost. $625 is what it should be, no more.

A good start however, but dont take it yet...forward that offer back to the other dealers.
  • Options
    CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi webba. The dealer invoice price of the car that you described is $49,090. Taking the $1,000 cash incentive that BMW is providing on this car into account, the selling price that you were quoted is equivalent to right around $1,000 over. This is a reasonable price for this car, but it wouldn't hurt to stop by the "BMW 5-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience" discussion to see how much other community members have paid for similar cars lately. The money factor that you were quoted is right in line with BMW Financial Services' buy rate for this car. The numbers behind this deal look good, but the monthly payment that you were quoted looks pretty high. I just worked up a zero down, pre-tax payment on this car and I came up with only $643 per month with the processing fee and tags added into the cap cost. What did the dealer say your payment is before tax? You need to find out why the payment that they quoted is so much higher.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • Options
    CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi amandad123. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2008 BMW 535i with 10,000 miles per year are .00225 and 74%, respectively with the payment of a security deposit and a $625 acquisition fee at lease signing. Any dealer that tries to charge you a higher acquisition fee than this is padding the charge to add additional profit to your deal.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • Options
    ahnjahnj Member Posts: 3
    nice work gaawb1. where are you located? I'm curious if this deal is available in northern California (bay area).
  • Options
    gaawb1gaawb1 Member Posts: 11
    I'm in Madison, WI but had to go to Chicago to get this deal. There's only one BMW dealership in this area and they won't deal because they know they don't have to. They own Infiniti, Audi, Saab, Acura, Porche, Mercedes, Honda, VW, and a few of the american manufacturers. Needless to say, they've set up a monopoly. I bought an Acura MDX for my wife last month and had to go to Chicago for that as well. Your pricing should be predicated on the number of dealers you have in the bay area, which I would think should be pretty high. I only had to play two dealers off each other, but I also made the deals look sweeter than they actually were when I went back-and-forth. Good Luck.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your help...i will keep in touch with the offers i get....braman motors of palm beach is next on my itinerary!
  • Options
    loveandlightloveandlight Member Posts: 19
    Hi dark_katana, first of all thanks a bunch for all of your help, I went to another dealer and this is the deal so far. What do you think?

Car 2008 BMW 535i
    MSRP $60,670
    Invoice $55,775 (Dealer invoice with MACO fees between $56,305 and $56,375)
    My price $57,705
    $0 sales tax - (sales tax credit, I live in Houston Tx, tax credits to dealers this Dec.)
    $1000 from BMW Financial used as down payment
    I am leasing the car for 36 months 12K miles

Also, I am a first time BMW owner, am I eligible for the .00225 base rate without paying a security deposit? How much should the rate go up if I don't pay a security deposit if I am not eligible for the .00225 rate?
  • Options
    jack96jack96 Member Posts: 2
    Hi:
    Am thinking of leasing a 2008 528i + Cold weather + Sirius.
    MSRP - 46420, Act. Cost - 44500. Acq. Fee - 625, 12K/yr. No deposit

36 Month Lease, Res 62%, monthly - 609 OR
    24 Month Lease, Res 73%, monthky 590

Can I get better deals? Which one is pref.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    sls1sls1 Member Posts: 45
    Can anyone confirm the 5-series body change date? I think it's set for 2010. Relevant when looking at 2 or 3 year lease
  • Options
    jack96jack96 Member Posts: 2
    Didn't think of that. Definitely want to take into consideration. Thanks.
  • Options
    jeff9049jeff9049 Member Posts: 1
    my current lease is up in January 2008. I was told that BMW had discontinued their Owner Loyalty program. Today, a dealer called and indicated that it was reinstated. Does anyone know the date of announcement of the extension of the program?
  • Options
    pattyp2pattyp2 Member Posts: 3
    I am planning to lease a 535i .I have called up a number of dealers in CA and they all calculate the Money Factor as .00265.Most people on the forum are saying the MF is .00225.Which dealer in CA is giving .00225?
    Also the acquisition fee is $825 for everyone and no one is willing to take less(so I guess thats an extra $200 to them!)
  • Options
    pattyp2pattyp2 Member Posts: 3
    Please could you let me know the dealership names in LA which gave you these deals?

What was the drive away cost finally?

Thanks!
  • Options
    socaltigersocaltiger Member Posts: 1
    Try Bob Smith BMW and ask for the Internet Sales Manager. I would tell you his name but I think it's against the rules on this forum. Also, I got another deal a little bit more from Shelly BMW in Orange County. Either should give you the buy rate of .00225 and another $1K rebate from BMW. I'm not too sure about the additional Owners Loyalty reduction in the MF that was posted above but you might want to ask and post what you find for the other members. Good luck!
  • Options
    macdadmacdad Member Posts: 75
    My deal today (current customer with lease ending this month)

528 white w/cream
    Premium
    Xenon

MSRP 48175
    Selling Price 46000
    BMW incentive -1000

590/mo tax incl.

No deposit for current customer. 825 acq. and 480 doc's. Compared Acq. and Doc's to many dealers in central and south Florida and this is very common and less than most locally. Many wanted to bump money factor and were charging dealer fees of 599.
  • Options
    webbawebba Member Posts: 30
    Thank you for the response, Car_man.

The sales tax ($2,513.5) and acquisition fee ($825) are added into the cap cost. This pushes the price to $740 per month. The sales tax has to be payed initially in Maryland, and it is 5% of the MSRP. Does this sound about right?
  • Options
    mr_g_35_smr_g_35_s Member Posts: 10
    2008' BMW 528i Premium pkg & Xenon lights
    White/Beige

MSRP $48,175
    Residual 76% $36,613
    M.F. Estimate 0.00225
    Term 24 months
    Toatal MSRP Discounts
    48,175 - 2,000 = 46,175
    Additional Equip $0
    Capped sales tax $0
    Trade Equity as Cap red $0
    Cash Cap red/rebate appl $2,400
    Capped fees $1,324
    ADJ CAP COST $45,099
    Base Payment $537.43
    Monthly Sales Tax(6.0000%) $32.25
    Payment Estimate $569.68

Drive off
    Up Front Payments $569.68
    Security Deposit $600
    Cap Cost Reduction $1400
    Up Front Fees $220.49
    Cap Red/Rebate Tax $144
    Up Front Sales Tax $0
    Cash Due on Lease $2,934.17
    Trade Equity to COD $0
    Rebate $0
    Deposit $0
    Misc. $0
    Customer Cash $2,934.17
    Cash Due at Delivery Estimate $2,934.17">link title
  • Options
    builderguybuilderguy Member Posts: 4
    Was orig. not going to "post" but learned so much from this site i felt obliged to. Test drove 528i past Tues NNJ . Dealer wasnt great so i did some "shopping". Found most were willing to "deal" ..Overall very easy purchase. What I got..2008 528i..prem & cold weather..Monaco blue & beige leather..48125 msrp..I paid invoice minus $500.00..Yes, we split the 1k bmw lease rebate....24 month lease..$525.00 per month taxes included...15k per year..3k down...( no security, they bumped money factor a tad..) 73% res.. Cant say I could have been treated any better from dealership..Price was great but they treated me rite & that counts for alot..Gave me fair price on trade...etc...1 nnj dealer ( who shall remain nameless) could learn from them! hate dealers & managers who say anything to sell a car..these guys were great...& what a car!! Hope this helps someone..
  • Options
    Opps..MSRP was $48,525..
  • Options
    dark_katanadark_katana Member Posts: 46
    Sorry for not getting back to you sooner loveandlight, I've been on vacation.

So far, your deal sounds pretty good. What's the money factor and residual?
  • Options
    beemerseekerbeemerseeker Member Posts: 11
    Hello builderguy,
    It is funny because I started my shopping on the same day for just about the same model. I was very dissatisfied with the first dealership and then traveled to the second. I ended up with a very high number to start with and take to my research.
    Please share the dealership and even the salesmen who was able to pull off such a seemingly great deal. If you do not want to post online, please email me, bsminc@aol.com
    Thanks!!
  • Options
    beemerseekerbeemerseeker Member Posts: 11
    Hello All,

I am a leasing newbie. I am looking for info on two vehicles, the 2008 528xi and the x3. I appreciate all of the postings from you all as they have been extremely informative. I am not going to be able to take advantage of the incentive for 12/07 because I will not be able to purchase until mid-end of January.

I live in NNJ and would like to find out this info because according to this forum this is what I need in order to negotiate this purchase:
    1 - Invoice price on a 528xi w/nav & cold pkgs, the money factor, residual percentage, and any January incentives you may know about. Looking to lease for 24/36 mos whichever works out better with 15k/yr
    . Also, info adding prem pkg as well.
    2 - Invoice price on a x3 w/nav & cold pkgs, the money factor, residual percentage, and any January incentives you may know about. Looking to lease for 24/36 mos whichever works out better with 15k/yr

Thanks, also any tips or rec's for dealerships and salepersons and also other deals made are appreciated.
  • Options
    Hi dark_katana, hope you had a good vacation! :-)

We haven't done the paperwork yet, (Monday) but I will only accept no more than .00225 for the money factor, it has a 62% residual.

Does being a first time BMW owner have anything to do with paying a security deposit? I was wondering because another dealer told me that I could only get the .00225 money factor if I was a previous BMW owner or if I pay a security deposit.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    another dealer told me that I could only get the .00225 money factor if I was a previous BMW owner or if I pay a security deposit.

That is accurate...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    rothsranrothsran Member Posts: 8
    Builderguy (and anyone else out there), I'm about to enter the market for a 535xi in Northern NJ (I live in Livingston) and would greatly appreciate any guidance as to dealerships that are worth my time (I want to try to cut out the bs). Thanks so much and have a happy new year!
  • Options
    Thanks for the info! :-)

So if I don't pay the security deposit, how much does the MF go up from the base rate of .00225? I was wondering if a money factor of .0024 is good to accept?
  • Options
    janus010janus010 Member Posts: 7
    Latest Deal offered by PA dealer:
    2008 535i - CW, Premium, SP, Nav, Ipod.
    MSRP is 58125.
    Lease is for 12k/yr 24mo.
    $5000 down which includes all fees etc.
    $640/mo.
    73% residual
    Rate: .00225

Good deal or not. Other dealers said they couldnt even come close to it. What do you all think?
  • Options
    Bell BMW. Newton NJ...Sales gal is Judi..sales manager Jim.. Real good people. Both straight shooters
  • Options
    tuacmxatuacmxa Member Posts: 3
    BEEMERSEEKER,

I am looking for the same deal you are on the 528xi and I am in NNJ - Randolph. Did you get any numbers yet? I am curious on both the 24 and 36 month being that the new body still is coming out in 2 years.
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    Compared to my lease deal it is fantastic.

IMHO, go for it.
  • Options
    tuacmxatuacmxa Member Posts: 3
    BUILDERGUY

Your deal sounds to good to be true - I am in NNJ and looking for a similar car but I want the 528xi. I believe my MSRP is about $51K - at $3K more then yours how much should that affect the price per month?

I am not looking to put down $3k so I am not sure how that would affect my price - I would like to be in the $650 rangle
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    Yeah.. the bump is .00015, taking the rate to .0024

It's a better deal to make the security deposit and get the lower rate..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Hi: Im not sure Tuacmxa..No math wiz here.. I knew I wanted the 528i so I used the Res. Values that I found on here.. I do know the xi is less of a Res. value...71% i think.. Talk to someone on here..First price I got on my car ( different dealer) was $2800 out of pocket & 673 pm..They based it on a 46k sell price so shop wisely..They do "play" with the #s..
  • Options
    Hello all, does anyone know what the money factor would be for a first time BMW owner on a 2008 BMW 535i, 36/12K mile lease? I know the base rate is .00225.
    How much should it go up if you DO NOT pay a security deposit? I'm supposed to sign the paperwork tomorrow and I need to make sure they are not charging me to much, any help greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!!! :-)
  • Options
    mr_g_35_smr_g_35_s Member Posts: 10
    2008' BMW 528i Premium pkg & Xenon lights
    White/Beige

MSRP $48,175
    Residual 76% $36,613
    M.F. Estimate 0.00225
    Term 24 months
    Toatal MSRP Discounts
    48,175 - 2,000 = 46,175
    Additional Equip $0
    Capped sales tax $0
    Trade Equity as Cap red $0
    Cash Cap red/rebate appl $2,400
    Capped fees $1,324
    ADJ CAP COST $45,099
    Base Payment $537.43
    Monthly Sales Tax(6.0000%) $32.25
    Payment Estimate $569.68

Drive off
    Up Front Payments $569.68
    Security Deposit $600
    Cap Cost Reduction $1400
    Up Front Fees $220.49
    Cap Red/Rebate Tax $144
    Up Front Sales Tax $0
    Cash Due on Lease $2,934.17
    Trade Equity to COD $0
    Rebate $0
    Deposit $0
    Misc. $0
    Customer Cash $2,934.17
    Cash Due at Delivery Estimate $2,934.17
  • Options
    Hello all. As most of you know, I've been active on this forum over the last couple of months providing target numbers and advising on how to get the best deal on a BMW E60. Since I held myself out as a knowledgeable source, I thought it only fair to show everyone how I did with my own new 535xi lease.

Ready? Here goes:

2008 535xi Space Gray, Black Leather, Dark Poplar Trim

Options
    ZCW Cold Weather Package
    ZPP Premium Package
    ZSP Sport Package
    205 6-Speed STEPTRONIC Automatic Transmission
    322 Comfort Access
    496 Heated Rear Seats
    591 18” wheels w/performance tires (style 124)
    609 Navigation System
    610 Head-Up Display
    655 Sirius Satellite Radio
    677 Logic7 Sound System
    6FL iPod and USB Adapter

Priority 1 Options ;)
    U6SW Black Nasca Leather
    453 Front Ventilated Seats
    775 Anthracite Headliner

Invoice $61,610
    MSRP $67,145
    Negotiated Price $62,842 (invoice plus 2%)

24 month lease/10K per year
    Monthly payment $845

Nothing down but tax, tag, first month payment and refundable security deposit of $749.

Happy New Year to all!

Oh, and to the little elves at the BMW Dingolfing Plant--start building my car schnell!
  • Options
    pagelmundapagelmunda Member Posts: 16
    Dark Katana

Where did you buy the 535xi? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    Awesome....

Happy New Year to you and all !
  • Options
    Habberstad BMW, Huntington, New York
  • Options
    claire_mclaire_m Member Posts: 4
    Hi:

I'm new to the board and want to buy a 528i 2008 asap! The best (I think) deal I have so far for a 528i w/ premium package:
    24 month lease
    12Kmiles/yr
    5K down
    $468 (including tax)/month

Any thoughts feedback would be greatly appreciated. THANKS in advance
  • Options
    Hi yourself :)

I'll do a quick back of the envelope for you and show you how this works. Let's leave taxes, tag, bank fee and security deposit out of if for simplicity

528i Base Model Invoice--$40,755, MSRP--$44,300
    Premium Package Invoice-- $2,095 MSRP-- $2,300
    Destination and Handling $775
    Total Invoice--$43,600
    Total MSRP--$47,375
    $5,000 down (Subtract from MSRP)
    December lease rate for 528i--24 months/12000k-- Residual 75% of MSRP – .00225 Base Rate Money Factor

Buying the car at MSRP gets you a monthly payment calculated as depreciation fee of ($42,375 - $35,531)/24=$285.16 plus
    Finance fee of ($42,375 + $35,531) x .00225 = $175.29

Total payment of $460.45

Unless you live in a very high sales tax state (like me) even factoring in the bank fee and the tax, it sounds like you're getting the car pretty close to MSRP if you only have the premium package as an option. In addition, there is a $1000 cash incentive from BMW to the dealer on the 5 series right now that seems to have gone straight into the dealer's pocket with no credit to you.

Try negotiating the purchase price from invoice not MSRP and then apply the lease rate. My target is to get the dealer down to invoice plus 2%--you may not get there, but that's the target to shoot for.

It's also always easier to calculate your deal if you pay the tax, tag and bank fee upfront. You shouldn't be rolling the tax into the lease payment anyway since it doesn't make much sense to finance a tax payment.

Not to pressure you, but the BMW December lease rate I quoted above is only good through 01/02/2008, so you need to lock in this week.
  • Options
    pagelmundapagelmunda Member Posts: 16
    Thanks much dark katana. Is there anyone in particular at the dealership you spoke with? Best wishes for the new year.
This discussion has been closed.