Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Lease Questions

Comments

• eights38eights38 Member Posts: 145
    tayl0rd - Excellent point. Something else to consider is balloon payment financing through BMW. You can take advantage of the excellent finance rates as mentioned by tayl0rd, have the low payments associated with a lease because the payments are based on a future residual value, and you actually own the vehicle. The downside is that you can't simply turn the car into the dealer at the end of the term, you are responsible for the residual and can buy the vehicle outright or refinance.

Matt
    [email protected]
  • cttrancttran Member Posts: 3
    Hi taylord, I saw 1.9 financing on bmwusa website. I asked and dealer said that's only for purchasing? Is that true? They said lease rate is 4.0% (0.00160 MF).
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Yes, that rate is for purchases.
  • shawn757shawn757 Member Posts: 204
    What is the buy rate money factor for a 528 xi with no security deposit?
  • calabooboocalabooboo Member Posts: 3
    2008 BMW 528i Sedan
    24 Month – Residual 63% of MSRP – .00140 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 55% of MSRP – .00140 Base Rate
    48 Month – Residual 35% of MSRP – .00270 Base Rate
    60 Month – Residual 29% of MSRP – .00270 Base Rate

2008 BMW 528xi Sedan
    24 Month – Residual 62% of MSRP – .00180 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 55% of MSRP – .00180 Base Rate
    48 Month – Residual 35% of MSRP – .00270 Base Rate

BTW, I made a deal today in SoCal on a 535i, sport/premium/nav/etc MSRP $58,525 selling price $53,099.
  • cttrancttran Member Posts: 3
    Hi Calabooboo,

Do you have these rates for 2008 535i lease? Please post it. Thanks a lot.
  • traindrivertraindriver Member Posts: 328
    2008 BMW 535i Sedan
    24 Month – Residual 62% of MSRP – .00160 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 55% of MSRP – .00160 Base Rate
    48 Month – Residual 33% of MSRP – .00270 Base Rate
    60 Month – Residual 27% of MSRP – .00270 Base Rate

2008 BMW 535xi Sedan
    24 Month – Residual 62% of MSRP – .00200 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 55% of MSRP – .00200 Base Rate
    48 Month – Residual 34% of MSRP – .00270 Base Rate

2008 BMW 535xi Wagon
    24 Month – Residual 61% of MSRP – .00160 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 55% of MSRP – .00160 Base Rate
    48 Month – Residual 30% of MSRP – .00270 Base Rate
    60 Month – Residual 25% of MSRP – .00270 Base Rate
  • wharton3wharton3 Member Posts: 1
    I've never leased, can you tell me how yur leased worked and how the residual balloon payment can be better than outright buying it?

thanks
  • archmodarchmod Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the current residuals and MF's for the 535i. Do you happen to know the current residuals and MF's for the 550i?
    Thanks for your help on this
  • yatzeyatze Member Posts: 33
    My lease on BMW 530 xi station wagon is up in March. Residual is aprox, $38k. I paid for 45k miles, but only drove 18.5K miles. The extended warranty on this car would run about $6k according to the dealer. Even though I still have a year left on this car, the dealer told me I would have to pony up the warranty amount upon purchase of the car, not when the original waranty would end after I would own it for a year. The dealer and BMW financial services both said if I re-lease for one year, it would cost me more per month than I am paying now.

If I buy it I will have to finance the amount. I made 7 multiple security deposits --appx $4000

So, what are your suggestions? I am going to need another wagon. Thanks.
  • traindrivertraindriver Member Posts: 328
    2008 BMW 550i Sedan
    24 Month – Residual 61% of MSRP – .00140 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 55% of MSRP – .00140 Base Rate
    48 Month – Residual 28% of MSRP – .00270 Base Rate
    60 Month – Residual 22% of MSRP – .00270 Base Rate

these are september rates; I do not see October rates posted.

ARCHMOD
    I have sent you an email to your "@carspace" account; it explains where I am getting this information from.
    I also have a 530xi with 18.5K miles coming off lease in March. BMW Financial services said I would have to pay the residual value of about $38K. That the residual price was not negotiable. How did you get them to do that?
  • thunder10thunder10 Member Posts: 10
    I took a lease for an executive Demo car

08 535i Prem/Nav/cold
    10K miles per year 36 month
    $585 per month. Paid $3500 upfront(Includes First month , tax & Title)

Car has some miles on it.
    Is this a decent deal.
  • jk7jk7 Member Posts: 36
    Hi

My 3 series lease is ending soon. Am planning on getting a 535i. Can someone pls put up the MF and residual for 535 for 24mo and 36 mo and for 15k miles/year. Thx

Jay
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    You're in luck, Jay. BMW just significantly enhanced its lease program on Friday. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2008 535i with 15,000 miles per year are .00120 and 62%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are .00120 and 55%.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • drgumsdrgums Member Posts: 51
    Dear Car Man:

As I awaiting delivery of my 2009 535xi,,( expected in 2 weeks)...has BMW changed the money factor and residuals for returning lease customers with any owner loyalty since Septmber for the 2009's ?

if the deal gets better before my delivery...then I could benefit.

Thanks
  • sergeymsergeym Member Posts: 283
    Try working with your dealer. They will happily buy your car from BMWFS for a typical wholesale price and sell it back to you for 3-4 K profit. Usually it represents a much better deal than paying the residual. In you case there is a catch though. You seem to have a very low mileage and it will make the wholesale price somewhat higher.
    Hi drgums. BMW recently significantly enhanced its lease program on 2008 models, but not on 2009 models. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor for the 2009 535xi is still .00210.

Car_man
    Host
  • miabarrymiabarry Member Posts: 1
    Currently own a 1997 528i. Am considering leasing an 08 or 09 5 series. Am considering either 528xi or 535. I have several questions that perhaps you cld assist me with. Can someone let me know if I can buy an 08 at this time below invoice and if so how much below? What about 09? Where are they selling? Also, what is a fair money factor rate and residual value? It seems so ridiculous to lease a car base on a monthly payment without knowing exactly what terms/figures are being used to come up with that figure. Any other lease advice wld be greatly appreciated. Thx.
  • beemaderabeemadera Member Posts: 1
    This may not be news to others. I just called BMWFS to talk about how to go about returning my 2007 530 lease in December when it is due. The guy on the phone asked me if I thought about buying the car. I said no since the residual was higher than the value (42K). He told me this was becoming a problem for BMWFS since the lease returns are all under water based on current value. He offered me 8K off of the residual as long as I financed through BMWFS. He approved me on the phone and sent me a contract via email within minutes.

I have decided to return it anyway because I cannot imagine not getting my hands on the new 535 twin turbo engine. I am going to pick up my new car today. I just thought folks would want to know that BMWFS is hungry to help you buy out your lease! He told me 8k was the maximum rebate they could offer. I did not press him any harder.
  • smithsongasmithsonga Member Posts: 123
    Wow! That is some serious rebate change. It makes sense tho as my residual on my 2008 528i is 76%....My $52k retail car has a residual of 39550 after 2 years, 20k miles. making that 31500 is tempting. (granted I still have 13 months left on my lease)
  • mm1250mm1250 Member Posts: 6
    Hello,

I saw the new lease specials on BMWusa.com for the 2008 528i lease @ $499/mo 10kmi 36months, MSRP of $47,825.00. I went to the local dealer and found a car and they came in over $90/mo more. I was putting down $2500cap cost, first payment and security deposit along with taxes. I cannot understand why they aren't able to build the config based off the website. I'm assuming they are jacking up the moneyfactor or something. I quailiy for the special lease offer.

Can you provide the Oct specials for 2008 528i money factor & residual value ??

I applicate the help.
  • skobolaskobola Member Posts: 207
    Why would anyone pay down $2500cap cost?
    Because $2500 cap cost would bring the payment down $80-$85/mo. So what's the big deal with putting it down if I have the money to do so? Am I missing something?
  • sergeymsergeym Member Posts: 283
    Yes. If the car gets totaled your $2,500 will be gone. Never put any oney down on a lease! Even the sales tax should be included in the monthly payment.
  • satnam1satnam1 Member Posts: 1
    Just drove home our new 528i. Hoping to get some feedback on the deal we made:

528i Premium pkg with Nav
    15K miles/year
    36 months
    $2000 drive (incl. 1st month and DMV fees)
    $635.67 per month including tax

Worked pretty hard for this one. How is this deal????
    Hello mm1250. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 528i with 10,000 miles per year are .00100 and 58%, respectively.

As far as making a $2,500 capitalized cost reduction goes, I personally always advise consumers not to make any. Those who do risk losing them if their vehicle is stolen and never recovered or totaled in an accident. It is safer to go with a zero down lease.

Car_man
    Host
  • carfan22carfan22 Member Posts: 11
    car man,

What about 12k and 15k per year, 36 month on a 528i? (MF and residual). Thanks.
  • eights38eights38 Member Posts: 145
    Hi carfan22,

The lease rates on the 2008 BMW 528i are quite attractive.

36 Months, 12K Miles/Year - 57% - 0.00100
    36 Months, 15K Miles/Year - 55% - 0.00100

Best,
    Matt
    [email protected]
  • novass66novass66 Member Posts: 21
    My '06 5 Series comes off lease in about a month. What lease terms should I expect to get on a 2009 335 or 535 Series? Should I expect to get the vehicle for invoice, will I have to pay above invoice, or should I be able to get it below invoice?

This forum was very helpful on my last lease. I appreciate the assistance.
  • harrismentharrisment Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys, I'm looking to lease a 2008 528i and I'm trying to make sense of all of the different terms. This will be my first time leasing a car so I'm trying to be prepared to make sure I get a good deal. Could someone provide me with the rates on a 528i for November, or let me know where you go to find this info? Thanks!
    Welcome harrisment. Since you are new to leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

I have not had an opportunity to take a look at BMW's new November lease program yet, but I suspect that I will in the next day or two. If you still need the program information that you mentioned, please post a reminder for me in this discussion in a day or two and I'll let you know what I have been able to find out.

Car_man
    Host
    **** I already pre -ordered my 2009 535XI that is now at the dealer waiting for me to take delivery. However, I want to wait until the November BMW lease programs come out today or tomorrow.

My deal was predicated on the Sept/ Oct rates for a returning customer.

I was hoping that "Car Man" could help me with this information so I can renegotiate my deal for better rates and monthly payments.

Will the owner loyalty come back? residuals? Premium credits of any kind? Money factor changes for the better?

I appreciate any help.....thank you
    Hi drgums. I don't believe that BMW introduced any owner loyalty offers or dealer cash on the 2009 5-Series for the month of November. Through the end of the year, BMW Financial Services' buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 BMW 535xi with 15,000 miles per year are .00175 and 59%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Thanks for info everyone. I love this site. Here is the deal I got:

2008 528xi - 12k miles - 36months lease
    car had 5k miles on it, it was demo.
    sticker was 52k but they sold it for 43k to me.
    put down 3200total.. 2500cap cost, 1st month and plates/dmv fees.
    payment $505/month
    got a full tax credit! which saved 4k off the bat.

Was it a good deal? I spent 6hrs at the dealer beating them down.

Took ALLOT of time to get them to go down. actually told them when i was in the finance room getting ready to sign the contracts that I changed my mind and would come back after looking around, at that time the payment was $530, so they changed it to 505$ and I signed and left.
  • bimmerdudebimmerdude Member Posts: 20
    Hi Car_man and all the experts here,
    My lease for the 06 530i is about to end in December. I need some expert advise on what to do next:
    1. Buy the car through dealer or BMWFS? who will give me a better deal?
    2. What is the best rate for finance the car, if I decided to buy, BMWFS or ...?

Please advise asap, since I don't have much time for the lease.
    Thanks in advance!
  • twodomestwodomes Member Posts: 73
    hey car man,

hoping to get the mf and residuals for 10k mi/yr for 36 months on a 2008 528i.

thanks!
    Hi, thanks for your suggestion. I have approached 3 dealers including my own and none of them are interested. They said they don't buy back cars. Any other suggestions?
  • jnkohjnkoh Member Posts: 37
    I was wondering if anyone could give me some info on leasing a used 5 series. I have a lease on my car coming due in May. I know it s a long time from now, but I like to plan ahead. I was thinking about leasing a new 3 series bmw or C class Mercedes. But after looking at the two I would like to get something a little bigger. I started thinking about leasing used. I was wondering how I can calculate the lease for a used CPO 5 series. I understand how to do this for a new car lease, but have never leased used. What MSRP would I use, KBB value? And how would I get the residual and money factor for a used car? I am guessing this will be lender and dealer specific.
    I was hoping to get some ballpark numbers to see if leasing a 1 or 2 year old 5 series would be the same payment as leasing a new 3 series.
    I haven't seen or received a reply yet to my request for info on lease terms available for '09 335 or 535. I'm in Dallas, TX area. Any help available out there? It would be much appreciated.
    I got a 2009 535i with i drive

$740 per month....taxes upfront

36 months....15K miles per year

car sold $100 over invoice

November money factor better...
  • smithsongasmithsonga Member Posts: 123
    Idea: Google "November 2008 bmw lease rates"

For now, here are the rates:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324865

this site is useful to compute the lease payment:

http://www.leaseguide.com/calc.htm
    I appreciate the helpful resources - thanks!
    That sounds like a great price re: invoice! Thanks for the info.
  • jvostjvost Member Posts: 37
    Hmmm... This deal doesn't calculate. Assuming the current MF of .00125 and a residual of 57%, the capitalized cost of the car was $46,900.

$43,000 would yield a payment of $392.47 assuming a $2500 cap cost reduction.

Not sure where the other $3,900 went. Was an acquisition fee added to the $43K? Did they reduce the residual below 57% because of the miles? What was the MF?
  • gardisgardis Member Posts: 185
    Guys,
    I have learned a lot from these forums. I just read the Edmunds "10 Steps..." and I still can't figure out, why would you choose to lease a car, if at the end of the procedure, you are left with nothing, and you n eed to start all over again? After two cycles of that, you would have paid off a car. Why doesn't the prospect of permanent car payments, plus the down payment on a lease which is never recovered, be attractive? Can a single person with out a business reason for the car, get a tax deduction off FedINc Taxes? I don't think so. Just curious, I'm trying to learn more, and thanks so much. I've really gotten a lot out of these forums. Amazing depth of knowledge displayed here, my hat is off to you!
    Gardis in CT
    [email protected]
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    If you want a new car every three years and want no repair issues and want no hassles with trade-ins, you can lease. As edmunds explains it is almost always more expensive to lease vs buy if you pay off the car and drive it long enough. To summarize, it's a personal choice. Nothing related to buying or leasing new cars makes any real financial sense anyway.
    Hi bimmerdude. If you are considering purchasing your 5-Series at lease-end, definitely deal directly with BMW Financial Services rather than the dealer. Your car's official end-of-term purchase price is listed on your lease contract. From time to time, some banks will negotiate with consumers and offer them a lower purchase price than the one that their lease was based on. There's no guarantee that BMW FS will do this for you, but give it a shot...you don't have anything to lose. I'm not sure what sort of special finance rates BMW FS is offering consumers to buy their leased vehicles right now.

Car_man
    Host
    Here you go, twodomes. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 528i with 10,000 miles per year are .00100 and 58%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • jvostjvost Member Posts: 37
    The lease is up on my 2005 330Cic very shortly and I was contacted by BMWFS who offered to sell it to me for the stated residual of $31,353 (original MSRP was $49,900).

Shortly thereafter I was contacted by my local dealer, who suggested that they would sell it to me for much less than the residual. I contacted the dealer who offered to sell it to me for $23,800 and, if I wanted, would certify (the CPO) program for additional $1900, assuming it didn't need any work (it doesn't). In addition, because it was now a CPO vehicle, I would be entitled to 60 month financing at 3.9%.

This deal seems pretty attractive to me, though I was shocked at how little similar vehicles are selling for on ebaymotors. I may yet buy it, although I have already committed to leasing a 2008 535iX (delivery in a few days), the terms of which I will put in a separate post.
This discussion has been closed.