Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Lease Questions

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Greetings bmwfan53. Here's the information that you're looking for. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 535i with 15,000 miles per year are .00155 and 58%, respectively. The residual value for a lease with only 12,000 miles per year would be 2% higher.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hi teck2u2. BMW is indeed providing $5,000 dealer cash on the 2009 5-Series. However, this cash is not compatible with its special financing or lease programs. It's only good on cash deals, including real cash and deals that are financed through banks other than BMW FS. There is no cash available on 2010 models.

Car_man
    Host
  • teck2u2teck2u2 Member Posts: 33
    Thanks Car_man,

I appreciate your response on this and my MDX forum questions.

I ended up going with a 09 X5 with 36K miles lease. I am happy to say that through this forum and your expert advise as well as others, I got the X5 for $170 over invoice price (see my earlier post with pricing details).

I am picking it up the end of July or sooner if all goes well. :shades:

Cheers,
    You're very welcome, teck2u2. It sounds like you got a great deal. I'm glad that you found the forums so helpful. Make sure to stop back and let us all know how you like your new ride.

Car_man
    Host
  • capa2capa2 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking at ordering a 2010 528xi with navigation, comfort access, sports package, sirius radio, fold down rear seats and premium package. I am going to purchase the car. The quote I have is $2000 over invoice. Is this a good deal for a 2010 customized with the options I want. Is anyone aware of any specials BMW is offering on 2010 5 series cars?
  • ktx968ktx968 Member Posts: 5
    Has there been any change in the 550i's 0.00155 money factor and/or the 59% residual for a 36 month lease @ 12K miles in July-09 vs. June-09??
    Thanks,
    ktx
  • shragatshragat Member Posts: 4
    I'd appreciate feedback on this lease offer. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger this weekend

2010 528xi, nav, premium pkg, value pkg, satellite radio, 36 months, 12k miles per year

$675 per mo including tax, $1,800 up front for first, bank fee, etc

Have a great fourth
  • x021627x021627 Member Posts: 152
    what's MSRP, money factor and residual. that's needed in order to determin if the deal is a good one......
  • shragatshragat Member Posts: 4
    MSRP is 52,370
    Residual 60%
    Lease factor is .00170

Thanks for your help

2010 528xi, nav, premium pkg, value pkg, satellite radio, 36 months, 12k miles per year

$675 per mo including tax, $1,800 up front for first, bank fee, etc
  • samsinsamsin Member Posts: 1
    Hello Everyone

This is a first car for me, previously had a hand me down, so Im a real noob at this.

I have negotiated a 2010 528i , x drive, for a 36 mo lease , 15k miles/yr

value package, premium package, Steptronic, Park assist, Navigation, Comfort acess, Comfort seats, xenon head lights

with MACO, dest charge and Training/Service fee the MSRP is 55,825, Discounted price/wholesale price $52,000

LEASE TERMS : with a $5000 first payment (includes taxes, first month payment and all other fees) the best im getting is : $648 /mo

PLEASE advise me on this pricing. I have never done this before and am at a loss on whether this is good, bad or ugly

I will be really grateful for your input.. Thanks...Sam :confuse:
  • samcitysamcity Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I got offer from dealer with the following.
    Due at signing: $6000 (including first month payment, $550 security deposit)
    MSRP: $50775 (w/ premium and xenon light)
    Invoice: not sure
    Tax: 7%
    Term: 36 months, 12K miles a year
    Monthly payment: $550

Does this sound good deal to you? I'd appreciate your feedback. Thanks!
    do not put $$$ down on a lease....ever.....what is the down payment? nornally you would pay for security deposit, first payment, doc fees and sometimes people prepay taxes which I wouldn't do.
  • samcitysamcity Member Posts: 2
    Around $3800 as down payment. For everything else is drive off fees. Do you think it's good deal?

and I tried hard to understand why I shouldn't ever make down pay. Can you advise why we shouldn't do that? Thanks!!!
  • gardisgardis Member Posts: 185
    Guys,
    Question on warranty: I recently got a 2007 CPO 530i, which I love. The warranty runs to end of June 2012. In service date was June 2006.

When I was reading the vehicle manuals, I noticed in that leather bound case, a white card, size of a credit card, that was issued by BMW which has VIN, model, and IN SERVICE DATE. The in service date according to this card was January 2, 2007.

When I questioned the dealer ( I really don't think they could or would try to fool someone on a major issue like a warranty), she told me that was not the final word on the in service date, that it was in the system.

What is this card, and what does it mean? I cannot be the only BMW owner that has a vehicle with that white card (looks like a credit card) on the left side of the leather case holding the manuals. If I have to, I want to copy it, and send it to BMW USA and ask about it, but I don't want my dealer to feel I don't trust them as I need them for servicing, etc.

What do you think? Is there any way I can independently check on my vehicle's in service date?
    Guys, (I'm cross posting this message as this seems a much more active topic):

Question on warranty: I recently got a 2007 CPO 530i, which I love. The warranty runs to end of June 2012. In service date was June 2006.

When I was reading the vehicle manuals, I noticed in that leather bound case, a white card, size of a credit card, that was issued by BMW which has VIN, model, and IN SERVICE DATE. The in service date according to this card was January 2, 2007.

When I questioned the dealer ( I really don't think they could or would try to fool someone on a major issue like a warranty), she told me that was not the final word on the in service date, that it was in the system.

What is this card, and what does it mean? I cannot be the only BMW owner that has a vehicle with that white card (looks like a credit card) on the left side of the leather case holding the manuals. If I have to, I want to copy it, and send it to BMW USA and ask about it, but I don't want my dealer to feel I don't trust them as I need them for servicing, etc.

What do you think? Is there any way I can independently check on my vehicle's in service date?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    I've never seen a card like that in a BMW.

It certainly couldn't have come with the car, because the in-service date is when the car is sold, which can't be determined ahead of time.

Your dealer is correct that the date in the system for your VIN number is the one that governs the warranty.

Next time you are by the dealer, take your VIN number into the service advisor, and ask him (or her) to tell you your in-service date.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks for that info. Your explanation makes sense. I'm going to take it to my former service dealer BMW of Darien and ask her to put the VIN in the system and see what comes up.

Question: if I want to warm up the engine in the winter, I usually close the door and go in the house for 10 minutes. I notice now that with this vehicle, the doors automatically lock after I"m in the car a few minutes. How can I prevent the doors from locking if I'm not sitting in the car, with the engine running? I know there has to be a way to do this. I know I should consult the OM but haven't done so yet. I'm working my way through it..........

Thanks Kyfdx, really appreciate your input. I've learned a tremendous lot from this forum.

Gardis - CT
    I can change it in my car in idrive. I have it set to lock the doors once I start driving.
  • jsmdukejsmduke Member Posts: 4
    Can anyone tell me what the current BMW Financial MF and residual % rates are for a 36 Month lease on a 2010 535I with M sport package?

Residual for both 10K and 12K miles a year would be helpful.

Thanks!
    Hi capa2. I realize that you're talking about a 2010 model and that dealers are probably more anxious to unload whatever remaining 2009 5-Series models they have, if any...but $2,000 over dealer invoice doesn't get me very excited. If I was in the market for this car, I personally would do some comparison shopping to see if I could beat this price.

BMW is not currently providing any cash incentives on the 2010 528xi.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello ktx968. The 2010 BMW 550i's lease program is exactly the same in July as it was in June. The numbers that you mentioned in your post are correct.

Car_man
    Host
    Welcome Sam. Let's take a look at the deal that you were offered. The car that you described probably has a spread of around $4,450 between its full MSRP and its dealer invoice price. That puts the selling price that you were quoted at around $625 over dealer invoice, which is a pretty good deal.

Just make sure that the dealer that you are working with uses BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor of .00155 to calculate your monthly payment and you're in business.

Car_man
    Host
    Here you go, jsmduke. BMW Financial Services' July buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 535i with 12,000 miles per year are .00155 and 60%, respectively. If you were to lease this car with only 10,000 miles per year, its residual value would be 1% higher.

Car_man
    Host
  • jsmdukejsmduke Member Posts: 4
    Thanks Car Man! Much appreciated.
  • destifandestifan Member Posts: 1
    If you have a solid FICO, do you qualify for the Buy Rate? Dealer has offered .0021 and 61% residual on 2010 535xi. I have seen that the buy rate is .00155 for July. That is the number I need to see correct?
  • gregoryxgregoryx Member Posts: 44
    Community, i posted a message last week and would like to get some feedback on it. i have additional information. here is the final offer. would appreciate insight
    2010 BMW 535xi sedan (order) $53,400
    Monaco Blue Metallic/Cream Beige Leather Light wood trim
    Steptronic Automatic Transmssion 0
    Comfort Access 1,000
    Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar Support 1,200
    Fold Down Rear Seats 475
    Navigation System 1,900
    Satellite Radio w/1 year subscription 595
    Active Cruise Control 2,400
    Park Distance Control 750
    Premium Package (w/ZVP ) 750
    Universal Garage Door Opener
    Auto-dimming interior mirror
    Auto-dimming exterior mirror
    Ambient Light Package
    Value Package 0
    Heated Steering Wheel
    Heated Front Seats
    Retractable Headlight Washers
    iPod and USB Adapter
    Leather Dakota
    Destination and Hadling 825
    Total MSRP $63,295

Sale Price = $58,865

my calculation shows that the sale price is at dealer cost. thoughts?

i'm pretty sure i'm going to go with the special offer for 2010 model year. 2.9% with the bmw select program. apparently in ohio, at the end of the term the lender has to offer the same finance rate on the ballon payment (if i decide to roll the ballon payment into another finance term).
  • gregoryxgregoryx Member Posts: 44
    for 2010 model year, BMW is offering the BMW Select program with 2.9% rate. they also are running special offer on lease program
  • briandcbriandc Member Posts: 15
    Can anyone point me to other sites where people share lease quotes and buying experiences? This site has helped me lease three cars over the last two years and love it, but the sharing of deals seems minimal right now. Maybe it’s just a sign of the slow economy. Thanks
  • ph__7ph__7 Member Posts: 2
    My 530i is coming off lease, and BMWFS quoted me a price $5,100 off the residual, so I'm tempted to buy it. . My original salesman is trying to me to my lease re-certified, which will give me a new set of tires, a detailing, and the 6 year, 100,000 warranty, and access to 3.9% financing. What do you think that's worth? Tires might be worth $800 or so, the detailing $200, so the question is what does the extended warranty cost if I were to just buy it myself?
  • capa2capa2 Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a loaded 2010 528xi for $410 over invoice. Does anyone have any information on TST protection and whether it is worth the money?
  • smithsongasmithsonga Member Posts: 123
    hard to compare you buying an extended warranty vs. a CPO car.

What is the dealer asking to buy that car?
  • sss2sss2 Member Posts: 11
    How recently did you speak to BMWFS about buying your car? From everything I've heard, they stopped dealing directly with owners on July 1. Now, all lease-to-retail deals have to go thru the dealer and the prices are quite a bit higher. Did BMWFS contact you or did you contact them? I'm interested because I plan to buy my car off lease this week. Thanks.
  • sanasrsanasr Member Posts: 2
    My current BMW 5 Series lease will be ending soon (mid sept) and I want begin looking around for good lease deals. Unfortunately, the dealers in detroit areas are not very competitive and I was wondering if there are recommendations on dealers in the neighboring states (ohio, indian, illinois, etc) that people have been able to negotiate good dealers. Please advise. Thanks.
  • sanasrsanasr Member Posts: 2
    where and which dealer did you buy your car.
  • cliffturn9cliffturn9 Member Posts: 6
    So here is the deal that I just signed for a:
    2010 BMW 528xi.
    MSRP: 50,775
    Discounted Price: 48,100
    Residual Value: 57%
    Money Factor: .00155
    36 months
    12k/year
    Due at Delivery: 2,520 nothing else
    Premium Package
    Value Package
    Xenon Lights
    Monthly payment: $618

What do you guys think of this deal? I know I can't change anything now but just wanted to know your guys and Car-Man's opinion
  • monkeyshiftmonkeyshift Member Posts: 87
    Is 618 with or without tax?
  • cliffturn9cliffturn9 Member Posts: 6
    yes 618 includes tax. good deal?
    You're very welcome, jsmduke.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi destifan. According to the latest information that I have seen, the .00155 buy rate that you mentioned is correct. BMW FS uses a pass / fail system rather than a tiered system for leasing. That means either you qualify for its best available money factor, or you can't lease through them. If the factor that you are being quoted is higher than .00155, chances are that the dealer that you are working with is marking your car's factor up to add additional hidden, back-end profit to your deal. BMW dealers are notorious for doing this. If you are in an area that has a decent level of competition, there's a good chance that you will be able to find a dealer that will use BMW FS' buy rate to calculate your car's payment.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi cliffturn9. The money factor that you were quoted looks good. It's right in line with the latest BMW FS buy rate that I have seen for this model.

Let's look at the other important factor when negotiating a lease, the selling price. The car that you described probably has a spread of just under $4,000 between its full MSRP and its dealer invoice price. That means that the $2,600 dealer discount that you were quoted is probably around $1,300 over invoice. That's not bad, but if you are in an area that has a decent level of competition it would not shock me if you were able to find a dealer that was willing to knock another $500 or so off of this car's price. If you can't or aren't willing to do the legwork for that little, then don't worry...this is a decent deal.

Car_man
    Host
  • alex_msualex_msu Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

what are the August lease rates for 2010 5 series

Thanks
  • dazzlingdazzling Member Posts: 1
    We have been leasing with BMW for quite some years now. We just leased a 2009 X 5 4.8i. Now i wasn't to lease a 2009 BMW 535i. Loaded with the M package body kit and wheels. The payments they quoted me is 840 with no money down, 12K miles / 36 month lease. Is this a good deal????/ Thanks

1050 535i
    USD 51,100.00

416 Carbon Black Metallic
    N/C

LCSW Black Dakota Leather
    N/C

ZCW Cold Weather Package

248 Heated Steering Wheel
    N/C

494 Heated front seats
    N/C

502 Retractable headlight washers
    N/C

ZMP M Sport Package

229 Active Roll Stabilization (ARS)
    N/C

300 Space-saver spare
    N/C

ZPP Premium Package

319 Universal garage-door opener
    N/C

430 Auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors
    N/C

431 Auto-dimming rearview mirror
    N/C

563 Ambiance lighting
    N/C

ZVP Value Package
    N/C

6FL iPod and USB adapter
    N/C

2TB Sport automatic transmission with shift paddles

322 Comfort Access keyless entry

337 M Sport Package
    N/C

2NP 18" Light-Alloy Double Spoke wheels (Style ...
    N/C

339 Shadowline exterior trim
    N/C

438†Dark Poplar Wood
    N/C

456†Comfort seats with lumbar support
    N/C

704 Sport suspension
    N/C

710 M steering wheel
    N/C

715 Aerodynamic kit
    N/C

775 Anthracite headliner
    N/C

609 Navigation system

615 Online Information Services
    N/C

620 Voice-command
    N/C

653 HD Radio
    N/C

655 Satellite radio with 1 year subscription

6AA BMW TeleServices
    N/C

6AB Steering Teleservices
    N/C

6UH Real Time Traffic Information
    N/C

Net Total

Destination Charge

Gas Guzzler Tax
    N/C

Total Suggested Price
  • dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    You didn't mention what state you're in -- the tax rate included in the payment can be significant in some places. You also did not mention what your negotiated price is. But $840 a month is what one should pay for a 550i fairly well loaded. You should not pay more than $500- $1,000 over invoice for a 535i, and you certainly shouldn't be paying more than $750 a month.
  • dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    I know what the problem is. You're trying to lease a 2009 car. That's a HUGE MISTAKE as the residuals are very low. If you want a 2009, you should buy it. But if you want to lease, get the 2010 and your payments will be much lower.
  • joesaojoesao Member Posts: 19
    Hi there everyone,

This forum has been a fantastic resource in the past so I'm back, now that I'm getting another vehicle...

Would like to get the residual and money factor for the following cars:
    2009 & 2010 528i, 12k miles, 36-month lease, South Florida, great credit

(I want to compare the end prices on the 2009 and 2010 leases, so would appreciate data for both!)

Thanks for your help!
    Greetings Alex. Here's the information that you're looking for. According to the latest information that I have seen, BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 528i with 15,000 miles per year are .00145 and 58%, respectively.

I had to make some assumptions when providing you with this data because you never mentioned the exact trim level, mileage allowance, or length of lease that you are interested in. Let me know if you want something different.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello joesao. Here's the information that you're looking for. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 528i with 12,000 miles per year are .00145 and 60%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a 2009 528i are .00050 and 55%.

Car_man
    Host
  • joesaojoesao Member Posts: 19
    Awesome, thanks so much, Car_man!
  • monkeyshiftmonkeyshift Member Posts: 87
    Decent, I think for sure. Thanks for the info, I'm going in next week for same vehicle, will let you know...
  • tomb009tomb009 Member Posts: 2
    Hello-

I am considering a 2010 535. Is the MF for the 535 the same as the 528? I read on this forum that the BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 528i with 12,000 miles per year are .00145 and 60%, respectively. Can someone confirm this for me for the 535?

Also, is the acquisition fee set by BMW Financial Services? I have heard that BMW allows dealers to add to this amount? What should the acquisition fee be?

Thank you.

tomb009
    Phoenix, AZ
This discussion has been closed.