Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Lease Questions

Comments

• hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Yeah, but try and get the $625.
    In Florida, I couldn't find any dealer, and I checked with many, who wasn't padding the AF by $200.

I got a very good lease deal on my 545 with a MF of only 0.0010 but my AF was $825.
    Couldn't get it down.
    Nevertheless, I am happy with my deal as my monthly payment is about the same as a 2006 530i for much more car.

You haven't really lived until you experience a BMW 8.
  • jamiewjamiew Member Posts: 11
    I've been told that BMW lease rates would change on January 4; any idea what they will be for a 550i? I've been thinking of leasing a 550i from an SF Bay Area dealer, but am reluctant to do so until the lease rate improves...
  • vsaxenavsaxena Member Posts: 211
    Do the folks here have the January program lease numbers?
  • ca_manca_man Member Posts: 23
    My dealer says the rates for December will be continued until January 31st.

Also, I would not expect a promotional rate for the 550i so early in the model year. Last year, there was a fire sale on the MF for the 545i due to the outgoing model ...
  • ca_manca_man Member Posts: 23
    Here is the story :

If you had paid the security deposit, that would have reduced the MF of .0016 by .00015.

You are able to pay a maximum of 5 security deposits, each of which will reduce the MF by .00005, which means the total possible reduction is 0.0025.

This will make a significant difference in your payment.

I know of only one dealer here in Northern CA who will even readily admit to the above. But, even my dealer will not back down on the Bank Rate :-)

The best thing in your case would have been to custom order a car. That way you get exactly what you want. There is a small wait, but a reasonable one.

As for the best lease deal, with leasing there are so many variables, it is difficult to pinpoint the best lease deal as such ….
    Yes, I was told essentially the same thing after calling around a bit: 550i remains .00300 (7.2%) whereas the 530i is a much lower .00180 (4.32%). Unless my math is fuzzy, this translates to a premium in the hundreds of dollars per month for the 550i, which I'm not sure I'm willing to swallow. The MB E500 is much more competitively priced, and even the outgoing S500 ends up being cheaper when you load the 550i with ventilated seats, sport, comfort access, etc... It's not an apples-to-apples comparison, but I can't helping feeling like I'm getting screwed by BMW's lease games...
    I took advantage of the BMWFS 2005 545 lease offer last summer.
    My mf is only 0.0010 (2.4%).

I knew they would charge an arm and a leg for the 550.

I am paying around $300 less per month compared to a comparable 550.

I don't know about you, but I can always find some use for that savings of $10,800.
    Hmm, yes. More I think about it, more I am inclined to wait on my lease. My current Z4 lease ends in March, and while I had been inclined to move directly into a new 550, I'm now thinking I should extend my Z4 lease by a month or two and hold out for a lower rate on the 550. There's no sense throwing away money for the next 36 months because I was too impatient to wait a month or two.

I did notice some better December MF quotes earlier in this thread, though, which also suggests that my dealer is tacking onto the lease rate... should probably talk to them about that...
  • benny5benny5 Member Posts: 13
    We've been quoted by several So. Cal. dealers for a 24 month, 10k a year, $399 plus tax, and $5k total drives on the 530 wagon. I can't find this deal on the BMW Usa site. Looks strong but is it for real? Here's one quote:

New 2006 BMW 530xi Sport Wagon
    Alpine White
    Beige Leather
    Automatic
    All-Wheel Drive
    Xenon lights
    Cold-Weather Package with heated front seats
    Premium Package
    Rear Sunshades
    Parking Distance Control
    Navigation
    Satellite Radio

With $5000 TOTAL DRIVE-OFF, your monthly payments are $399 + tax per month for a 2 year lease at 10000 miles per year o.a.c.
  • cmybimmergocmybimmergo Member Posts: 265
    Maybe this is a really stupid question, but why are you shelling out ($800+) for the cold weather package if you live in Southern California? :confuse: Do you plan to move somewhere cold?
  • nybriangnybriang Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know the exact difference between residuals and money factors on 24month vs. 36month 525i. I ordered one which is due in any day and I am thinking of switching lease to 24 months as it appears it is much ($50 month) cheaper. This is a NY lease. Thoughts?
  • lausylausy Member Posts: 14
    Can someone please tell me when leasing a vehicle in the state of Maryland, do you pay sales tax on the full purchase price of vehicle or just based on lease amount (purchase price minus residual)?
  • gumpiregumpire Member Posts: 4
    can you lock in a lease rate, ordered a 530 build date in february here in march, can i lock in January's rate through bmwfs. thanks
  • drtraveldrtravel Member Posts: 395
    For the 525i the MF is 0.00160 for both 2 and 3 year leases.

The residuals are as follows:

24 mo/10K miles - 77%
    24 mo/12K miles - 76%
    24 mo/15K miles - 74%

36 mo/10K miles - 63%
    36 mo/12K miles - 62%
    36 mo/15K miles - 60%

In December BMW increased their two year residuals (artificially high numbers) so that the 24 month payments are about equal to their 36 month payments - obviously they are subsidizing the 24 month lease big time and absorbing a big hit at lease end - their loss, your gain. BMW has continued their residuals through January.
  • drtraveldrtravel Member Posts: 395
    Base January money factors are:

525 - 0.00160
    530 - 0.00140
    550 - 0.00260

These have been the money factors for awhile now. Looks like your dealer is charging even more = extra dealer profit.
  • beamer4beamer4 Member Posts: 1
    I am currently leasing a BMW through BMWFS. I am buying a new car and intend to lease through same. Does anyone know whether BMWFS will waive the $625.00 acquisition fee?

Thanks in advance.
  • birdbirdbirdbird Member Posts: 63
    Hi Car_man

Can you confirm that BMW money factors are favorable through January because there is nothing listed on leases for them at the Edmunds.com website right now? And what models of BMW are being lease subsidized right now?

Thanks
  • eights38eights38 Member Posts: 145
    I believe that BMW will only waive the security deposit on your new BMW and the disposition fee if you are turning in your current BMW.
    Yes, you can lock in January's rates through BMWFS for up to 60 days. If the rates improve, you are entitled to the better rates.
  • sfoxcasfoxca Member Posts: 3
    Hi. I'm about to lease a new 325i and was given a money factor of .00305. Given that my credit rating is at the highest level, this didn't seem to be a deal at all. I'm in Washington, DC and the dealer is in Maryland.
  • piczkapiczka Member Posts: 2
    Car man,
    Just received a quote for 24 month, 24K 2006 530i steptronic, cold, premium. MSRP 51,020 selling 48,725. inception fee [includes first month payment] 858.43 assignment fee 625. Residual 72% MF 0.001550.
    What do you think? Seems fair to me. monthly payment $618.15 + 6% tax= $655.23 per month.

Piczka
  • tvlcnxtvlcnx Member Posts: 1
    Greetings from South Carolina!! Long story but my husband left me for another woman and I need a car as the lease is up on "our" Mercedes CLK500. I would really appreciate any help with my first time lease. Please see below the car I'm interested in and quote from local dealer:

2006 Black BMW 525i, Sport Package w/Beige Leather,Steptronic Transmission - $49,865.00 @ 24 months, 15000 miles, and $3000.00 down. Quote $625.00 per month but really need a lower payment. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!!!!!
  • 330blast330blast Member Posts: 49
    I am wondering if there is a website to find out the current BMW lease numbers (money factor and residual in particular).

Thanks.
  • kobiokobio Member Posts: 2
    In Southern California we have the Sierra Nevadas and of course there's always after surfing. It's sooo nice to heat your bum after a nice refreshing surf in the morning!
    can sit there totally relaxed as you watch the latest brushfire or mudslide in serene comfort.

That place is sooo not where I would want to be.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Hey, tvlcnx, head on over to the Luxury Performance Sedans board and you will get a ton of info and alternatives that will suit your payment needs. Right off the top of my head, you could actually purchase Chrysler 300C SRT8 for the same money you'd be sinking into that 525i. Leasing it would probably cut a good $200 dollars from that payment. Not to mention, you could blow the doors off your (soon to be) ex-husband and his mistress when you see them on the road. ;)

Anyway, sorry about your situation. But keep your head up! I've been through the reverse situation and I can tell you that life gets better when they're gone. :)
  • cmybimmergocmybimmergo Member Posts: 265
    But just think--you can outrace those nasty brushfires and mudslides in your 5er... :P
  • kobiokobio Member Posts: 2
    That's right, and don't forget xdrive will help...and of course BMW assist always comes in handy for such natural disaster annoyances. I don't know how I ever managed here in So Cal without these saviors!
  • piczkapiczka Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have a chance to evaluate message #327?

Thanks
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,123
    That looks pretty good.. I think the residual is 74% on the 12K/yr lease, not 72% (and, that is the only way the numbers work out). The acquisition fee is rolled into the cap cost, right?

If you make the security deposit, you can drop your money factor to .0014, and the base payment will drop to $605/mo.+tax.. I recommend doing that.. $120 annual return on $650 is pretty darn good... and the $650 will come back to you at the end of the lease...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• sls1sls1 Member Posts: 45
    2006 bmw 530i, auto, sirius, leather seats, 12miles year 0down, $650 sec deposit. Gross capitalized cost $49,470.00, residual value $38,195. Monthly payment $592.00.

How did I fair?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,123
    How many months? MSRP?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• sls1sls1 Member Posts: 45
    oops thought I included everything. 24 months. msrp $50,000 plus (dont have exact # in frontof me)
  • jvosjvos Member Posts: 91
    Information really is power. Armed with your lease rate info, I got my dealer to drop the MF from .0018 to .0014. I'm going in on Monday for a test drive.
  • mrbig1mrbig1 Member Posts: 5
    Any clue what type of numbers we are talking about here ? I was told with sport and navi and smg around 8-900 a month with about 2k total down. Anyone else with some info on this ?
    mrbig1:

2006 BMW 550
    MSRP: $63,195
    Selling Price: $61,195
    Residual: 71% (24 months / 12k miles per year)
    Money Factor: .00260
    Lease: $956.06 + applicable tax

Residual: 62% (36 months / 12k miles per year)
    Money Factor: .00260
    Lease: $872.48 + applicable tax + Inception fees due at signing (first month's payment, security deposit, documentation fee, bank fee, motor vehicle fee, applicable taxes and fees)

The lease rates on the 525 and 530 are substantially better.

Hope this helps,
    Auto Advisors
  • spakaspaka Member Posts: 2
    I just got following quote on 06 525i with cold, premium, and automatic transmission.

3 yr 12k/yr with 1st payment down ---
    $676 (includes MI sales tax)

3 yr 15k/yr with 1st payment down ---
    $698 (includes MI sales tax)

Any comments on the above deal please?

Should I go for 2 yr or 3 yr lease?

Appreciate your help.

Thx,
    Sam
  • spakaspaka Member Posts: 2
    Piczka,
    I am in MI too and thinking about leasing BMW, not sure 525i or 530i. Do you really see the need for xi in Michigan? Looks like you are getting a good deal, do you mind which dealer you got this from?

spaka
    MSRP: $47,220 (2006 525i with automatic transmission, cold weather package, and premium package)
    Selling Price: $45,465 (could probably do better)
    Lease Price: $529.25 + applicable tax

Unless MI has an extremely high sales tax, it sounds like you are getting a poor deal. I would recommend the 24 month lease over the 36 month lease as the residual is very strong.
  • goldbug06goldbug06 Member Posts: 3
    Hi guys,
    I was given a following quote from local N. Cal dealership for pre ordered BMW530 2006
    w following options:
    convinience access
    NAV
    sport package
    folding back seat
    rear sunshade
    heated front seats
    premium package w.leather

MSRP 57,220
    GRS CAP COST 54,800
    ADJ RESIDUAL 34,332
    money factor 1.95 - corresponds to 4.6% -?

aquisition fee 946.13

for 36 mo/ 15K/yr

8000.00 down - monthly 629.08 (inclusve tax)
    2,182.00 down - monthly 807.33(inclusive tax)
    How fair is the lease?
    Thank you
    goldbug06:

I think that you are getting a pretty poor lease. The money factor seems way too high, it should be around 0.00140.

Please let me know if I can be of any more help.
  • goldbug06goldbug06 Member Posts: 3
    thanks,
    how do you think it may be negotiated?
    Should I have a competing bid from other dealer?
    or may be there exist info about current finance rates from BMW finance?
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi benny5. Let me begin by saying that I always advise consumers against making any sort of down payment when leasing. I do so for two main reasons. The first is if your vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen during your lease, your insurance company pays off the bank that you were leasing it through and your down payment essentially disappears. The second main reason is that down payments on leased vehicles do nothing to reduce their lease-end purchase prices. So your lease-end purchase option price for your 5-Series wagon would be exactly the same, regardless of whether you had put $5,000 down, or had made absolutely no down payment at all. You would be better off keeping the five grand in the bank and using it to supplement your monthly payment on your own or to make some of your payments for you than using it as a cap cost reduction.

You never mentioned the selling price or MSRP of the car that you are interested in leasing. These are important numbers for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing this car's selling price in relation to its MSRP you don't know how much of a discount you are getting on it. The second reason is that one needs the selling price and MSRP, including the destination charge, of a vehicle to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion of this deal if you let me know what these numbers are.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums
    That's a very good question, lausy. I;m not sure exactly how sales tax is calculated on leased vehicles in Maryland, but you may be able to find out by visiting one of the following sites: Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration or Comptroller of Maryland.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey birdbird. BMW's December lease program was essentially extended through January 31st. All 2006 5-Series models have lease support on them right now, but the 550i's lease program is definitely the least attractive of the bunch.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi sfoxca. The following discussion would be more appropriate for any questions that you have about leasing a 325i right now: Car_man, "BMW 3-Series: Lease Questions" #, 31 Aug 2005 2:10 am. In a quick answer to your question, BMW FS' current buy rate lease money factor for this car is only .00250, .00265 if you opt to have your security deposit waived. This dealer is trying to make extra hidden profit off of you by marking up your car's money factor. It would be in your best interest to shop around.

Car_man
    Host
    Sorry to hear about that, tvlcnx. If you're looking for information on leasing, you've come to the right place. You definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

Is the $49,865 price that you mentioned this car's MSRP or selling price? I need to know both in order to give you an accurate opinion of the deal that you were quoted. Let me know and I'll tell you what I think.

Car_man
    Host
    MSRP: $57,220
    Selling: $54,800

24 mo/15k mi
    Residual: 72% of MSRP
    Money Factor: .00140
    Monthly Lease Price: $701.15 + tax

36 mo/15k mi
    Residual: 60% of MSRP
    Money Factor: .00140
    Monthly Lease Price: $693.34 + tax

These leases are with no money down and inception fees due at signing.

Hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.