Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Lease Questions

Comments

• barrosjabarrosja Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys I just ordered an 07 550i MSRP of 67415 1129/mo payment 36 mo/ 15k miles. is what i was quoted. From all this talk that seems pretty high. My credit is pretty good right at 700 give or take 10. The car will be here in a month and a half. If i can get this tied down id be very happy!

If anyone can help let me know. Oh also drive offs of 3670 I believe.

Thanks!
  • asteinbergasteinberg Member Posts: 138
    I took delivery of my BMW 530i from Pacific BMW in Glendale, Calif. They were straightforward -- $625 acquistion fee, not $825; .000140 with deposit, not .000160 with deposit, as some wanted; and with a reasonable discount on the car. Plus, they locked in the MF with BMW FS, so that I would get it or the next month's MF, whicheever was lower. Thanks to your advice, I did 7 more security deposits, bringing the MF down to .000091. Thank you for all your help.
  • marleyflynnmarleyflynn Member Posts: 8
    Car-Man-

Thanks for the helpful information. I just put a down payment on an 06 530xi wagon. Here are the details.

MSRP- 56,070
    Invoice- 51,590
    Negotiated Cap Cost- 53,000
    MF- .0012
    Term- 36 Months
    Milage- 12,000

2,400 drive off (includes 1st month, security, bank fee of 850, and title taxes, etc)

Based on my calculations, the dealer made approx. 1,600 on the car (1,410 on the car and 200 on the bank fee).

How did i do ? I was pleasantly surprised to see the MF at .0012 as I was expecting .0016.
  • cybrmikecybrmike Member Posts: 1
    Can I have the MF and residual for 2006 530xi for:

24 mo/ 10K miles
    36 mo / 10K miles

This site is unbelievable. Have learned a ton about leasing in the last few hours.
  • yaya1yaya1 Member Posts: 3
    carman--
    the msrp is 56,770; i believe invoice is 52,420 and the selling price is 53,515 for the 2006 530xi wagon (premium, automatic, sports package, 18" wheels). they have come down in pricing.... so now we are at drive off of $1,115 and monthly payments of $667.70 (that's including california tax). no longer giving them my trade-in! how did we do?????

thanks in advance!!!!
  • dan030dan030 Member Posts: 3
    Ive noticed you are very well informed and helpful on lease rates and lease help. I am in the market for a 525i or a 530i still undecided. What sould i expect to pay for:
    First time BMW owner. NY state resident. 780 Credit score.
    530i:
    MSRP 56385, 12k miles per year, 36 month
    leather
    cold
    smg
    M aero kit

525i:
    MSRP 47020, 12k miles per year, 36 month
    Steptronic
    Cold
    Xenon

Please let me know any help is great.
    Dan
  • junap1junap1 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to lease a 2007 530xi, do you have the current residual value and money factor for a 36m/12,000 mi lease? In addition what percent over invoice should I be targeting for a 530 xi? I was told I needed to order one now if I want it in June, how will that affect by bargaining power?
  • marleyflynnmarleyflynn Member Posts: 8
    I believe that residual for an 07 530xi is 62% and the MF stands at .00225.

You might want to consider looking at an 06 530xi bc the residual value is still 62% and the MF is considerably lower. In addition, you should be able to negotiate a better deal on an 06 than an 07.
  • 4hondo4hondo Member Posts: 1
    I am new to the game of leases.Is is possible to lease a 06 525BMW sticker price of 49,625.00 in April for No money down around 620-640 monthly payment out the door? I am in San Diego,CA.I have read some of the posting and you mention about using security deposits instead?
  • socalguy61socalguy61 Member Posts: 10
    I just had a dealership "offer" me 1% off the MSRP (which they bumped up $850 over bmwusa.com's msrp for a 2007 530i). Also, what other fees get added/subtracted into the "sell" price other than acquisition/down pymnt/trade in? Also, aren't security deposits equal to the amount of the monthly payment?

The reason I ask the last two questions is the salesman's numbers seem to be quite a bit higher than I expected. Also, will they generally waive the standard security deposit if you have excellent credit?

I'm looking to do a 36 mo lease, 12,000 mi/year, zero down and buy down as with as many security deposits as they will allow. Anyone have a recommendation for a reputable dealer in O.C. CA?

Thanks a million, CarMan. This forum has been very helpful.
  • bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    Also, what other fees get added/subtracted into the "sell" price other than acquisition/down pymnt/trade in? Also, aren't security deposits equal to the amount of the monthly payment?

The reason I ask the last two questions is the salesman's numbers seem to be quite a bit higher than I expected. Also, will they generally waive the standard security deposit if you have excellent credit?

BMWFS has a $625 lease acquisition fee (and a $350 disposition fee, but only if you don't end up buying the car at the end). All leasing institutions have an acquisition fee, so this is not exclusive to BMW. The fee, however, varies from one financing company to the next (e.g. GMAC might have a $599 acquisition fee or VW might have a $500 fee... not necessarily the actual real numbers; just an example for the explanation.)

The security deposit is equal to your monthly payment rounded up to the next $50 increment. (e.g. If your payment is $644, your SD is $650. If your payment is $651, your SD is $700.)

Nothing can get waived based on credit. The SD can be waived if you are coming out of a BMWFS lease and into another one. It can also be waived by adding 0.00015 to the money factor.

The only other fee that you might see if the dealer doc/prep fee. I think that CA is a flat fee of $45? Is that right?
    Thanks bdr127.

I was quoted $415 for "DMV fees" and told this included vehicle registration, which seems about right in CA.
  • wjevbwmwjevbwm Member Posts: 1
    Hello all. I am new to the leasing arena and I am looking a buying a new 2007 BWM 525xi. The MSRP with all my options is 56,600 with the invoice being 51,615. I asked for a price half way between that to get me to $53,910 (before I found this forum.) I hope that wasn't too stupid.

The lease offer is for 15,000 miles and 36 months with 0.20 cents per additional mile.

The dealer quated me a $789 lease based on a 2,000 down payment, a 60% residual value, a 395 final get ready fee, and a .00235 money factor. From the sounds of the discussion that money factor is way too high. I have good, but not excellent credit. What money factor should I be targeting? Is that the correct residual value?

Also, now that I have that deal in had, I wanted to shop another St. Louis area dealer to see if I could do better. Do you have any recommendations on strategy?

Thank you all for these postings and your time. I realize that you don't have to do this so I value it even more. You are making this dauting task much more manageable.

William
  • bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    I was quoted $415 for "DMV fees" and told this included vehicle registration, which seems about right in CA.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention DMV fees.... Obviously you have to pay the state their fees for title/reg/plate. And every state is different, of course.
    William,

I believe the best deal on good credit right now (money factorwise) is .00225 with a security deposit. (Which may be waived if you are a current BMWFS customer.)

Rather than putting money down, you may want to look into placing multiple security deposits. Each additional security deposit (up to seven) will "buy down" the money factor by .00007. For instance, I was able to "buy down" my MF rate to .00176 by placing an additional seven security deposits. I'd only recommend placing a down payment if your total lease payment is just above the nearest $50. (For instance, if your total lease payment works out to $752, it may be in your best interest to place a small down payment to get it under $750, as your security deposits get rounded up to the next highest $50 mark.)

I'm told they aren't "dealing" much on the 2007 models at this point, since they are brand spanking new. If you can find a 2006 that you like, you can get a smokin deal on one of those. I was only able to negotiate 2% off MSRP on the 2007, but you can do much better on a 2006. (Mine is a 530i, if that makes any difference. I believe they produce more 525's, so you may have greater negoitiating power.)

I wasn't able to find any "cost" figures for the 2007 models, but MSRP increased $700 (over the 2006 models) on the 530i, with all the options remaining the same.
  • pk800pk800 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Carman:
    I am being offered the following deal on 2006 530i with premium package, premium sound, cold weather, rear heated seats: 36 month/12k lease
    MSRP 53170
    Invoice 49110
    Selling price: 51110

MF0.0016 and residual 61%, acquisition fee: 825
    Drive off 1130 and monthly payment 725
    I would like know your comments on this deal and particularly selling price. :confuse:
  • jturakhiajturakhia Member Posts: 1
    Hi Car Man I need help. I wish to lease 2007 BMW 530 XI,MSRP is $57,580.00 Lease at $55080.00 36 months
    12,000 miles per year. 8% sales tax. Onondaga county, New York
    I plan to lease through BMW finincial service.
    What should be the money factor, residual value and monthly payment. Can Lease price of $55080.00 can be lowered?
    Please help. JITT
  • JingleJillJingleJill Member Posts: 120
    Does anyone have any experience with the Owner's Choice option with BMW? I know it is only available in certain states, such as Texas. I went this route with a CPO 5 Series, and I am wondering what my options are if I want to turn the car in early.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stacy
  • goldenmscgoldenmsc Member Posts: 1
    Crunched through the numbers.

MSRP 58415
    Invoice about 54090
    APR 2.8%
    MF .00116667
    Residual 62%
    36 month lease
    $578 monthly.
    $3250 down.

From the above figures have concluded the following. Read that I should shoot for $1500 over invoice. Obviously there trying to make 2+ times that. Would go with 0 down and up to 7 more security deposits to lower MF. So the payments will change some but overall wonder if this will be a fair deal.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi alboogie7. If you were to lease a 2005 BMW 525xi through BMW Financial Services right now for 36 months with 10,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00160 and 63%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '06 530xi should be .00140 and 62%.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums
    Hello bon_bon. A base 2006 BMW 525xi has a spread of a little over $3,800 between its full MSRP and dealer invoice prices. You were quoted a discount of $3,720 on the car that you are considering. This is a very good price. The money factor that you were quoted is right in line with BMW Financial Services' buy rate for this car as well. If you like the car, I personally don't see any reason not to pull the trigger on this deal.

Car_man
    Host
    Greetings n1daniel. If you were to lease a 2006 BMW 530i through BMW FS right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00140 and 59%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '06 525i should be .00160 and 60%. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of both an '07 530i and an '07 525i should be .00225 and 60%.

Car_man
    Host
    You're welcome, twobox. If you were to lease a 2006 BMW 53xi wagon through BMW Financial Services right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00100 and 60%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a 2007 model should be .00225 and 60%. As you can see, the attractive .00100 money factor that was available on the '06 model last month is still around.

Car_man
    Host
    You're welcome, asteinberg. I'm glad that everything worked out well for you. Thanks for taking the time to stop in and let us all know how everything turned out. Enjoy your new car!

Car_man
    Host
    Hey marleyflynn. The selling price that you were quoted for this car looks reasonable to me. This model's current buy rate lease money factor is only .00100 through so the dealer is marking your factor up a little bit to add some additional profit to your deal. Overall, I'd say that this is a fair deal, though it would be better if the buy rare money factor was used to calculate your payment.

Car_man
    Host
    I'm glad that you find this site so informative, cybrmike. If you were to lease a 2006 BMW 530xi through BMW Financial Services right now for 24 months with 10,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00175 and 74%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease should be .00140 and 62%.

Car_man
    Host
    Thanks for the additional information, yaya1. You were quoted a price of around $1,000 over invoice for this car, which is a reasonable deal. You can always stop by the following discussion to see how much other community members have paid for similar vehicles lately for the sake of comparison: "BMW 5-Series: Prices Paid & Buying Experience". According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2006 BMW 530xi wagon with an MSRP of $56,770 and a selling price of $53,515 through BMW Financial Services right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $628.

Car_man
    Host
    Thanks Dan. Your lease payments for these cars will depend upon what their selling prices are. You should be able to get a good idea of how much you should have to pay for them now by visiting the following discussion: "BMW 5-Series: Prices Paid & Buying Experience". Take a look around that area and let me know the approximate selling prices that you want to pay for these cars. With these numbers, I can use BMW's actual lease program to tell you what their lease payments should be.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello junap1. According to the latest information that I have seen, if you were to lease a 2007 BMW 530xi through BMW Financial Services right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00225 and 60%, respectively. I am not personally familiar with what the market is like for this car right now, but you should be able to get some good feedback on how much you should pay by visiting the Prices Paid discussion that I posted a link to in my previous post.

Generally speaking, the fact that you want to order your vehicle might actually give you less bargaining power than if you were to purchase one off of a dealer's lot. This is because dealers are usually more anxious to unload a vehicle that they already have in inventory and are paying floorplan interest on than one than a vehicle that doesn't even exist yet. Furthermore, the sooner you take delivery of your new vehicle, the less likely it is that your deal will fall apart. If you take immediate delivery of a car that a dealer has in stock, you don't have time to change your mind or shop around like you would if you had ordered a vehicle.

Car_man
    Host
  • n1danieln1daniel Member Posts: 27
    Hello everybody, I leased my 2006 530i few days ago. I guess Car man was very busy but luckily I was able to obtain residuals and money factors from another forum. This is a great forum and I want to share my numbers although it will not mean much because there are very few to no 2006 5 series left.
    2006 530i with auto,pp,sp,nav.
    MSRP: $54,670 INVOICE: $50,050 SELLING PRICE: $52,050
    1 security deposit for .0014 money factor on 36/15K lease.
    My deal in other words was $2,000 over invoice plus I gave away another $200 on the acquisition fee for a total of $825.
    Payments are 719 including 7.75% tax.
    Normal drive off with no cap cost reduction.
    Hi 4hondo. Your lease payment for this car will depend upon three variables, how long you lease it for, how many miles per year you are allowed to drive it, and its selling price. If you provide me with this information, I would be happy to estimate what this car's lease payment should be using BMW's current lease program.

Car_man
    Host
    You're welcome socalguy61. BMW FS charges security deposits equivalent to vehicles' monthly payment rounded up to the nearest $50 increment. At lease signing, you will have to pay your car's first month's payment, the aforementioned security deposit, BMW FS' $625 acquisition fee, and any required state taxes or fees.

Car_man
    Host
    Greetings William. Since you are new to the world of leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

I don't think that offering half way between MSRP and dealer invoice on a 2007 5-Series is a bad deal. According to what I have heard, dealers are not heavily discounting this car yet. They are still focused on unloading any remaining 2006 models. The money factor that you were quoted is not really that far out of line either. BMW FS' current buy rate lease money factor for a lease of a 2007 525xi is .00225 with the payment of a security deposit and .00240 with the deposit waived. The residual that you were quoted is correct, but this is not normally something that consumers really have to worry about because dealers do not have the ability to alter it.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi pk800. In my opinion, $2,000 over invoice is a little high for a leftover 2006 5-Series. If I was in the market for this car, I personally would shoot for more at most $1,000 over. For additional feedback on how much you should pay for this car, make sure to stop by the following discussion: "BMW 5-Series: Prices Paid & Buying Experience".

Furthermore, the money factor that you were quoted for this car is a little high as well. BMW FS' current buy rate lease money factor for a 36 month lease of an '06 530i is .00140 with the payment of a security deposit. Make sure to insist that the buy rate is used to calculate your car's lease payment.

Car_man
    Host
    Greetings jturakhia. If you were to lease a 2007 BMW 530xi through BMW Financial Services right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00225 and 60%, respectively. Using these numbers, an MSRP of $57,580, and a selling price of $55,080, I estimate that this car's zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $772. It's difficult for me to say whether you will be able to negotiate a lower selling price than the one that you mentioned. It's definitely worth a shot.

Car_man
    Host
  • bat20001bat20001 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Car_man;
    From what I read you seem to be the person to ask. I drive a 1998 Town Car, recently I had the pleasure of being a passenger as well as taking a 2007 530xi for a drive and absolutley love this vehicle. I have always owned and have never leased. My nephew who always leases says he wants to drive a new car every few years, my son on the other hand says I will never own anything if I lease. I checked to see what my payments would be with $11,000.00 down and they would still be around $832.00 per month! what would you recommend to someone who has never leased? I drive my owm vehicle about 10,000 miles a year because I have a company car, but I cannot use it when not working, please help it you can
  • poet715poet715 Member Posts: 7
    I was quoted the following, 15,000 miles and 36 month
    2006 525i Titanium silver / gray leather...automatic, premium pkg. $46470 msrp $44710 your price

608 + tax for 36 months (659 total) with just 1963 to start (acquisition fee, registration and first payment)

2007 525i Black on black leather....automatic and premium pkg. $47470 msrp $46270 your price

677 + tax (733 total) 2035 drive off
    Is that a good price??
  • beemer3000beemer3000 Member Posts: 1
    It is going to be impossible to not to get them....also do they cover the scraches on the bumper too?
    Does anyone have any comment?
  • vsaxenavsaxena Member Posts: 211
    BMWFS posts their guidelines on normal wear and tear on the web. Typically anything less than 2" is fine.
  • ejvejv Member Posts: 8
    Hi everyone! I just have a quick question. I am looking at leasing a 2007 525Xi, 10,000 miles a year for 36 months. The MSRP is $49,795. I have a trade-in worth around $4000, (which is fully pain off). Is is possible to have a monthly paymet around $550???, and what should be a fair Cap value for the car?

Any help would be great,
    Thanks
  • bmw5seriessfbmw5seriessf Member Posts: 1
    Here are the details on a recent quote:

BMW 530Xi, 36 Months, 12k Miles
    MSRP: $55,270
    Invoice: $51,490
    Sale Price: $53,490
    Residual: $34,267 (62.0%)
    Money Factor: 2.6000 ????
    No Past Lease Experience

Called me and told me I need 4,000 Security + 2,500 down, or BMWFS says no deal, does that make sense?

Also can you explain "Money Factor" and why mine is off by a factor of 1000 to all the other posts?

Thanks!!! :confuse:
  • alohasurfer1alohasurfer1 Member Posts: 13
    so, lets look at this for example (I;m in the market)
    $52,000 buy price
    .00225 money factor
    $18,000 trade in on my Audi (i own outright)
    $29640 residual

Am I looking at $340ish on a 36mo lease?
  • bigmojobigmojo Member Posts: 3
    Just talked to the dealer and he stated that as of May 1 the following will be in place for a 36 month lease with 15K miles per year on a 550i.

'06
    Residual will go from 59% to 58%
    MF will go from .00230 to .00255

'07
    Residual will go from 60% to 59%
    MF will stay at .0028

Is this in line with what others are getting or is this guy just trying to get me to buy this weekend?

Thanks
  • fishbone1fishbone1 Member Posts: 5
    HI Car_man,

I desparately need some help!

Could you provide me with the money factor and residual values for the 5 series, as well as the 3 series for May?

I am not sure if I want the 5 or the 3 series at this time.

Could you give me a break down?

'06 525i; '06 5301
    '07 525i; '07 530i
    '06 330i

Please provide the #'s for a 24 and 36 months lease. Thank you so much for your help!!!
  • mark1234mark1234 Member Posts: 7
    Hello,
    I am new to leasing but I have been following these posts for a while now. I am looking to lease a 530 xi in the next few months and I do have a few questions for the group:

1) Every post encourages getting the "base money factor", but how can I be sure that's what I'm getting?, i.e. is there any independent verification?

2)The money factor for the 2006 (~.140) is much less than what I have seen for 2007 (~.225). Do those change as the months go on, i.e. is it based on interest rates alone, is is there some supply and demand factor thrown in?

3)Exactly what is negototiable and what is set in stone during the lease process? My understanding is that residual is set by someone else, but what aspects are available for "discussion" with the dealer?

Am looking to lease probably some time in the summer.
    Thanks,

mark1234
  • lopzlopz Member Posts: 22
    Can someone tell me the money factor and residual for bmw 550i on a 24 and 36 month, 15k miles/yr lease?
  • vsaxenavsaxena Member Posts: 211
    Courtsey Tarry at leasecompare.com via bimmerfest
    24 mo/15k mi – Residual Value 70% of MSRP – .00225 Base Money Factor Rate
    36 mo/15k mi – Residual Value 59% of MSRP – .00225 Base Money Factor Rate
    48 mo/15k mi – Residual Value 42% of MSRP – .00310 Base Money Factor Rate
    60 mo/15k mi – Residual Value 33% of MSRP – .00310 Base Money Factor Rate
    Hi bat20001. BMW's actually are often more attractive to lease than they are to finance or pay cash for. This is because BMW often provides lease support but no other alternative incentive like cash or special financing rates on models. This is one of the reasons why nearly half of the consumers who lease certain BMW models lease. Having said this, BMW's lease program on the 2007 5-Series is not very attractive yet. Its current buy rate lease money factor for them, .00225, is equivalent to an interest rate of around 5.4%.

Since you are new to the world of leasing, may want to check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment. Take a look at them and let me know if you have any specific questions.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello poet715. I am not personally all that familiar with what the market is like for the '06 5-Series right now, so you will have to stop by the following discussion for feedback on the selling price that you were quoted: "BMW 5-Series: Prices Paid & Buying Experience". I can tell you if the payment that you were quoted looks right though. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2006 BMW 525i with an MSRP of $44,710 and a selling price of $46,470 through BMW Financial Services right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $607. As you can see, the lease payment that you were quoted is quite a bit higher than the one that I came up with. I suspect that the dealer that you are working with is marking up BMW FS' buy rate lease money factor for this car to add additional hidden back-end profit to your deal. BMW dealers are notorious for marking up vehicles' money factors, but you can usually avoid this by telling them that you know what your car's buy rate money factor is and that you want them to use it to calculate your car's lease payment. BMW FS' current buy rate lease money factor for a 36 month lease of an '06 525i is .00175.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello ejv. Your lease payment for this car will depend upon the selling price that you are able to negotiate. Stop by the following discussion to see how much other community members have paid for similar cars lately: "BMW 5-Series: Prices Paid & Buying Experience". If you want to trade your current vehicle in, you are better off having the dealer that you are working with cut you a check for it rather than using the proceeds as a capitalized cost reduction for your lease. If your leased vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered, your down payment essentially disappears.

Car_man
    Host
This discussion has been closed.