Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X5 Lease Questions

Comments

• lugoesqlugoesq Member Posts: 4
    After some discussion, dealer just offered me the following: $55,900, 36Mo, 12K, 2.4 MF (I understand MF is 2.2 from this site); monthly payment 798Mo; $3,800 out of pocket for taxes (7.85 in NY i think)/registration, bank cost (?) and first month payment (no security deposit or cap cost reduction) for: Premium Package, Sports Package, 3rd row seats; Rear Entertainment; Sirius Radio; Park Distance Control; Rear Climate Package; Ipod adapter.

Thoughts would be appreciated.
  • cioccabmwcioccabmw Member Posts: 10
    Actually the way BMW will work their lease programs regarding term, Sometimes it is good to got to 39 months due to higher residual values. No one is getting screwed. The programs are just better because BMW wants their car back to them in a time during the year it is marketable to them, like leasing a Z4 in December for 39 months. BMW will get the car back in March right at the begining of convertible season.
  • cinderellycinderelly Member Posts: 1
    I intend to lease in the next few months-never done it before. I have already spoken with an internet manager in So. Cal. I am interested in the 3.0, grey, running boards, moonroof, rear climate package, and BMW assist. He gave me a price of $50,000, but I've seen it for less on another web site. What price and lease payment should I be looking for? Is it better to wait until late summer before the 08's come out? Sorry for all the questions-I need advice!
  • kabbalahkabbalah Member Posts: 58
    Are you getting the aquisition fee waived from BMW financial, and if so are you just requesting the waiver? I guess you could always reduce the cap cost by the same amount as the aquisition fee as the numbers will work out to the same.

thanks
  • anon3anon3 Member Posts: 147
    Chaddy75 should take his own advice or shouldn't be hanging around the discussion groups if he can't handle reading other people's opinions.
    My leases using a standard lease did not contain an acquisition fee, so it wasn't necessary to negotiate it away. I only saw acquisition fees on advertised lease programs. I don't know if you could be successful at having an acquisition fee waived on a lease program that requires one. I suspect it would be tough.

It certainly reduced the value of the advertised lease specials. BMW increases the residual by a few percent (2% higher residual on a $60,000 vehicle saves you $1,200, for example) then takes most of those savings back by charging an $895 acquisition fee.
  • wooboswoobos Member Posts: 2
    John

I want to purchase a 4.8 x5. Do you have any on your lot? If so, can you send me the option list.

Thanks
    Ben
  • vsaxenavsaxena Member Posts: 211
    anon3:

Have you ever leased through BMWFS before? Here are some pointers.

1. The acquisition fee is $625 and is charged on ALL leases. BMWFS buys Gap Insurance among other things with this money.

2. The dealer can mark that number up by $200 to $825 to pad their profit.

3. Most people actually roll this fee into the capitalized cost of the car. So you may not be paying it when you drive off but it is built into the monthly payments. This is a good idea for the same reason it is never a good idea to put money down for cap cost reduction (loss of principal if car is totaled).

4. The disposition fee is standard on all BMWFS leases but it is waived if you lease/buy a new car in a 12 month window centered around the lease termination date.

5. The 36 vs 39 month issue:
    -First of all make sure that your registration fees are not high. In CA you pay $300-400 to register your BMW every year; the 4th year payment will go waste after the last 3 months of the 39 month lease.

-As long as the vehicle is under warranty, and you have enough miles, and the length of ownership is consistent with the time you want to wait before getting a newer car, go for the lowest monthly payment (after accounting for registration, and assuming no cap cost reduction down payment). Many of us BMW regulars do 24 month leases via the European Delivery program because they are the cheapest.

6. And yes, BMWFS waives the requirements for a single security deposit if you are a returning customer. Most of us put Multiple Security Deposits, since the rate of return is very high for a near risk free investment.

And I agree with the guy who wanted both of you to take your battles off-line.
  • chaddy75chaddy75 Member Posts: 48
    Amen to the last line. Also, your pointers are very informative and well stated.
    Thanks for taking the time!
    To answer your question, vsaxena, I've had 11 new BMWs in the past 10 years. I've used the european delivery program as well as delivery at the Performance Center in South Carolina for my personal vehicles. I've also leased several BMWs for employees as performance rewards. So, yes, I have used BMWFS and I'm very familiar with their lease programs.

I stand by my statement that advising people to take the lowest payment and ignore total cost of the lease is bad advice.

Finally, as a reminder to people like Chaddy75, no one is forcing you to read these posts. If the post is not useful to you, then ignore it and move on like a mature adult.
  • ms09ms09 Member Posts: 112
    Whats the current bmw u own.

U really like the bm i think
    I drive an X5 for daily/normal/winter driving. I have an M6 for fun and have logged a fair amount of track time in it. I leased a 325ix wagon for my daughter in college. So, you're right, I do like BMW. :) My next car will be a different brand, however, because BMW doesn't have any new vehicles in their development pipeline that interest me enough to trade out of the current vehicles.
    This discussion group is about the X5. Since you're a "BMW regular", you know that there is no European Delivery Program for the X5, which is made in South Carolina. Aside from that comment, your post would be useful for first-time lessees.
  • donkey1217donkey1217 Member Posts: 10
    Does any one have the new residual#'s and Money Factors for may. If so, did they make the lease more or less favorable. I'm looking at an X5 3.0 and 4.8 (depends on the price, last month the MF was actually lower on the 4.8 so it was <90 bucks a month difference) with Premium, tech, heated seats, and running boards. thanks
  • paxtonkpaxtonk Member Posts: 49
    Ditto, I've just found myself in need of a new SUV in the next week or so. Could someone please post this month rates and residuals...please base them on 15K/year and knowing what BMW's bank fee would be very helpful. Also, if you can include all the off year lease terms (39, 42..)

Thanks.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi Keith. BMW Financial Services' lease program varies by term and mileage allowance. For now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. BMW FS' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 BMW X5 3.0 with 15,000 miles per year are .00230 and 58%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    You're welcome chaddy75.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    You're welcome infinitimn. I'm glad that you've found my past advice so helpful. Here's the information that you're looking for. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 X5 3.0 with 10,000 miles per year are .00230 and 58%, respectively. The addition of the navigation option has no impact upon this truck's lease program, just its MSRP and selling price. BMW does have a multiple security deposit program. It will provide a reduction of .00007 in the money factor that is used to calculate your monthly payment for each additional deposit you make, up to a maximum of 7.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hello twilly3. Let me begin by saying that it is not a good idea to make such a large down payment when leasing. I always advise consumers against making capitalized cost reductions on leased vehicles. Those who make them risk losing them if their vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered.

As far as the selling price that you mentioned goes, the truck that you described probably has a spread of between $5,500 and $6,000 between its full MSRP and its dealer invoice price. I am not all that familiar with what the market is like for the X5 4.8 in your area, but I personally would want more than a $1,000 discount on one. It wouldn't hurt to comparison shop a little bit. Also, make sure to stop by the following discussion to see how much other community members have paid for similar trucks lately: "BMW X5: Prices Paid & Buying Experience". Also, make sure that the dealer you are working with uses BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor of .00230 to calculate your truck's monthly payment.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Congratulations on your new truck, rsingleton. You never mentioned the selling price of the car that you are interested in leasing. This is an important number for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing the price of the car that you want to lease you don't know how good a price you got on it. The second reason is that one needs the selling price of a vehicle that they want to lease is that it is necessary to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion of your deal if you let me know what its selling price is.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi enthusiast7. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 30 month lease of a 2007 X5 4.8 with 10,000 miles per year are .00230 and 66%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi infinitimn. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 X5 3.0 with 10,000 miles per year are .00230 and 61%, respectively. If you want, you can pay additional security deposits to lower this truck's money factor. For each additional security deposit you make BMW FS will lower your vehicle's money factor by .00007, up to a maximum of seven additional deposits.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hey lugoesq. BMW has enhanced its money factors on the X5 over the past couple of months. Its buy rate lease money factor for the X5 3.0 is now .00230, which is equivalent to an interest rate of around 5.5%. This is much better than the money factors that were available on this truck when the redesigned version was first introduced, but it is still going to be fairly expensive to lease.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Greetings xwoogiex. Since you are new to the world of leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

The truck that you described has a spread of around $4,200 between its full MSRP and its dealer invoice price. Prices have already started to come down on the X5, but I suspect that a discount of $3,900 is a little optimistic. Try stopping by the following discussion to see how much other community members have paid for similar trucks lately: "BMW X5: Prices Paid & Buying Experience".

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi sheikh37. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor for the 2007 X5 3.0 is .00230.

BMW FS charges an acquisition fee of $625 on every deal. Individual dealers do not have the authority to waive this charge, but they are allowed to and often try to mark it up by a couple hundred dollars to add hidden profit to deals.

The information that you posted about BMW FS' multiple security deposit program is right on the money.

BMW FS' current 36 month, 15,000 mile per year residual value for the 2007 X5 3.0 is 58%.

The truck that you described has a spread of over $4,600 between its full MSRP and its dealer invoice price. In my opinion, the $3,000 discount that you negotiated on this truck isn't bad. It is probably around $1,600 over invoice on a recently redesigned truck. It wouldn't hurt to compare the price that you were quoted with the prices that other community members have recently paid for similar trucks though: "BMW X5: Prices Paid & Buying Experience".

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    My salesperson tells me that the .00230 MF is only good for current BMW owners. I'm in the So. California area, is what I'm being told true?

Thanks.
    Hi lugoesq. What is this truck's MSRP? I ask because it will show me how much of a discount you are bring given on it. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor for the 2007 X5 3.0 is .00230 with the payment of a security deposit at lease signing and .00245 with the deposit waived.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Greetings cinderelly. Since you have never leased before, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

If you provide me with this truck's MSRP I will gladly tell you what I think of the selling price that you were quoted. The MSRP will also enable me to use BMW's current lease program to estimate what your lease payment should be like.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi donkey1217. I believe that BMW's May lease program for the X5 slightly worse than it was in April. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 X5 3.0 with 15,000 miles per year are .00230 and 58%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a 2007 X5 4.8 are exactly the same.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi paxtonk. See my previous post for the X5's 36 month numbers. The money factors for 42 month leases of these trucks would be the same, but their residual values would drop to 53% for the X5 3.0 and 52% for the X5 4.8.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • msc20005msc20005 Member Posts: 3
    Hello, Thank you all for having such an informative and active forum. I'm glad I found it.

I've just sold my '01 Audi allroad (if the buyer is satisfied with the pre-purchase inspection at the dealer, fingers crossed), and am considering the X5 4.8i as a replacement.

This will be my first lease, and am drawn to it by the disappointment in the resale value after owning and selling several cars.

I visited the local BMW dealer last Saturday and spec'd out an truck with Sport, Premium, 3rd row, Rear Climate, Tech, Cold, and iPod... Total was about $67k. The 36 mo lease offer was approx $1150/mo, including the 10% DC Tax. Residual was 61%, MF .0027. The salesperson said she wasn't supposed to tell me the MF, but was being nice, so she left it on the desk for me to see. Right. I wasn't able to reproduce the monthly figure with the formulas on the web, I kept coming out a about $100 low.

Based on this and the Prices & Experiences forum, I now see that this was a pretty bad deal, plus the fact that she was only offering $500 off MSRP.

Here are my questions: What affects the MF I am offered at the dealer? Are the tabulated residual, MF, and lease length figures published, or is this the best place to find them? How often are these figures updated? Do promotional leases manipulate the residual, MF or both? If I know the current rate from this forum, can I negotiate for that? Given the advice to avoid paying down the capitalized cost, does it then make sense to get the shortest lease possible, i.e. 24 months? Regarding the multiple security deposits for reducing the MF, are those refunded at the end of the lease? Does everyone qualify to make multiple deposits? Do you have to ask for that deal specifically?

Thanks in advance.
  • donkey1217donkey1217 Member Posts: 10
    Hey MSC 2005,
    You are getting a really bad deal at the dealership and would look elsewhere if I were you. First they are marking up the money factor. As you can read in previous posts the MF for may 2007 is .0023. In addition, that discount is not so good. I live in NY and have found atleast 2000 discounts on the X5 no problem at several different dealerships. There are plenty around right now as the lease deals haven't been good at all yet and the gas prices are climbing, which gives you some leverage.
    As far as other stuff about leasing, people will give you all sorts of games and ways to play with the lease formula but the only thing you can do is make sure you are getting the best money factor (ie- they are not marking up the money factor, as they are in your case), and get the most off the MSRP as possible. Several companies do offer to lower the MF if you give multiple security deposits, but personally I prefer to have my money tied up elsewhese. Good luck.
    In addition, don't know if you are locked into an X5, but as you will learn leasing and specials often don't have too much to do with MSRP as much as they do dealer incentives and lower MF, so depending what else you are interested in you may be able to find a substially better lease deal.
    Hi Car_man, first let me thank you for all the great help. I've got one dealership down to $1000 over invoice on the 3.0 X5. I wanted to just sum up what I know and make sure it's correct and at the same time ask another question.

BMW bank fee is $625

36 months & 15,000 miles per year residual is 58%
    The money factor is .00230 with 1 security deposit and .00245 waiving the security deposit.

My additional question is what would the above be at 42 and 48 months?

Thanks so much.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Those numbers are correct...

I don't know about 42 months, but the 48 month rates are terrible..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

My dealer is telling me that because I haven't been with BMW Financial in the past 6 months I would need to raise the MF .00015. Is this true?

BTW - I found out the Residual on a 42 month 15K is 53%.

Thanks.
    If you aren't a current BMWFS customer, you have to make a security deposit... If you choose not to, then the MF bump is indeed .00015

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I'm confused...

.0023 is buy rate with a security deposit
    .00245 is buy rate without a security deposit
    .0026 is buy rate without a security deposit for a non BMW financial customer

Is this correct?

Thanks.
    Nope

.0023 is the buy rate for a current customer without deposit

.0023 is the buy rate for a new customer with deposit

.00245 is the buy rate for a new customer without deposit

.0026 is marked up...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks a bunch, that confirmed what I was thinking. I guess they're all just trying to do the job of making money.
  • l00q6227l00q6227 Member Posts: 16
    I am looking to lease an X5 and the MSRP is 63,620. What is going to be a fair rate for 18,000 miles? Any help would be appreciated. The X5 3.0. I got a quote for a X5 4.8 loaded 18k miles I got a price of $1175 a month which I thought was steep. Any help would be appreciated.
  • l00q6227l00q6227 Member Posts: 16
    Well I got the quote from the dealer. $1066 a month plus tax. In PA tax is 9% on leases. This is way too high. Thompson BMW in Doylestown told me that they would sharpen their pencils.
  • james72766james72766 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know what the money factor for June is for an X5? Thanks.

Also, two different dealers in Florida (one in Naples and one in Pompano Beach) offered me an X5 3.0 with Sports Package, Premium Package and Sirius satellite radio for $52,400. Is that a good deal? That's $1895 over sticker.

Thanks for any help.

James
  • james72766james72766 Member Posts: 2
    In my message above, I meant to say invoice price, not sticker.
    Welcome msc20005. I'm glad that you have found this forum so helpful. Since you are new to leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

You were smart to find out what money factor was being used to calculate your vehicle's monthly payment. The salesperson probably was told not to reveal it to you so that the dealer could mark it up without you knowing. I personally would never lease from a dealer that wouldn't tell me what money factor they were charging me. That's like financing a new vehicle from a dealer that refuses to tell you what interest rate they are charging you. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor for a 36 month lease of a 2007 X5 4.8i is .00230 with the payment of a security deposit at lease signing. It looks as though the dealer that you are working with is trying to mark your truck's money factor up to add hidden profit to your deal. BMW dealers are notorious for doing this, but it can usually be avoided by savvy consumers who know what their vehicle's money factor should be and who are willing to shop around if their are not given it. Make sure that the dealer you are working with uses this factor to calculate your truck's lease payment.

Not only is this dealer trying to mark your money factor up, but they are only offering you a $500 discount. I suspect that you can get a better price than this without too much difficulty. Make sure to stop by the following discussion to see how much other community members have paid for their X5s lately: "BMW X5: Prices Paid & Buying Experience".

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi l00q6227. I would be happy to estimate what sort of monthly payment you can expect to pay on this truck, but in order for me to do so I need you to tell me what its selling price is. At first glance, $1,175 does sound high.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hello james72766. BMW's lease program for this truck varies by term and mileage allowance. You never mentioned what these variables are, so for now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. BMW Financial Services' June buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 X5 3.0si with 15,000 miles per year are .00230 and 58%, respectively.

I see in your next post that you revised your "over sticker" to "over invoice." That's good, because when I first read over sticker I was like :surprise: . $1,895 over invoice isn't terrible, but that's still a decent amount to play with. It wouldn't hurt to contact another dealer or two to see if you can beat these offers. Also, make sure to stop by the following discussion to see how much other community members have paid for their trucks lately: "BMW X5: Prices Paid & Buying Experience".

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • rag3rag3 Member Posts: 1
    does any one know the june money factor and residual value on a bmw x5 3.0 ,39 month lease, 12,000 miles per year, with no money down with a security deposit?
  • bss1bss1 Member Posts: 1
    Edmunds has posted lease incentives on X5 4.8 but when I go to the dealer to inquire, they tell me i need to put almost 8000 down and that still doesnt get me to the advertised lease deal. Where does Edmunds get their info. Current offer is 65000 (dont have exact figure) and they are only discounting about 500.00. Payment would be 950.00 after almost 8000.00 down. Surely there are better deals. thanks for your help
  • aminoacids1aminoacids1 Member Posts: 8
    I visited the local BMW dealer a few days ago and setted on a 3.0 x5 with Premium and Tech package. Total was about $53225 for 15000 miles per year and 5700 out of pocket. The 36 mo lease offer was approx 721, dealer told me they would bump it down to 700 with taxes included. This was a dealer in florida, i called up a few other dealers and was offered 699 and then 695 per year. I have the feeling by how quickly they were to drop the price, even though by a few dollars thats there that there getting me. 5700 seems like alot out of pocket for a car i'm not even going to keep.
  • aminoacids1aminoacids1 Member Posts: 8
    james, Which dealer in ponabo offer u this price and what did u rmonthly payment turn out to be?
This discussion has been closed.