Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X5 Lease Questions

Comments

• rob34rob34 Member Posts: 58
    Just found out the following. Here is the quote from the sales guy.

It is .00200 my manager goofed. The payment is $837

Big difference. Any thought on the deal I was offered now?
  • pmelanc1pmelanc1 Member Posts: 7
    I have seen a lot of numbers thrown around and I just want to confirm. Is the current MF on the X5 .0020 and is the customer loyalty reduction .0004 or .0008? Also is the residual on a 3 year/12k 55%?
    Thanks for the info.
  • caveatesqcaveatesq Member Posts: 6
    That's a terrible deal. There is a credit available to the dealer equal to the invoice price for the premium package or $2595. So you are basically paying $3595 over invoice. Given the state of the economy and gas prices, X5's are readily available for $1,000 or less over the invoice price less the premium package credit.
  • caveatesqcaveatesq Member Posts: 6
    Residual on the X5 3.0 for a 36 month, 12k lease is 55%. Base money factor through 7/31 is now .0020 and .00160 if you qualify for BMW owner loyalty program.
  • jamesgjamesg Member Posts: 19
    these numbers are correct. i just got one at those rates for ~600 over "invoice", including the $2500 credit.
  • rdxerrdxer Member Posts: 38
    I picked my X5 up last week. I got it for about $2K under invoice. Given the approx $2.5k dealer cash for X5s with the premium package, I'd rethink any deal that doesn't go way below invoice.
    Did you lease? What are your payments?
  • lamark72lamark72 Member Posts: 7
    I just noticed that the BMW USA has a new lease program from 7/10-7/31. Does anyone know what are the MF and residual for the 609/mo lease?
    Yes, I did lease.

MSRP $54,860
    "Sell price" $48,150 (about $2K below invoice)
    Cap Cost Reduction $3,000
    Total out of pocket $4500
    MF .0024 (yes, this was before the current MF drop)
    Res 56%
    36 months/10K mi per year
    $658 month

Cap cost includes ($300 dealer fees, $825 BMWFS acquisition fees, and state sales tax which we pay all upfront). As a first time BMW lessee I had to pay a security deposit.
  • jamesgjamesg Member Posts: 19
    Mf is .0016 for returning customers
    residuals are 55% for 12k miles/yr, 53% for 15k miles
    I've had 2 dealers tell me .00160 is buy rate. Dealers mark it it to .00200

Is the .002 negotiable or not?
    including tax?
    yes, that included 3% sales tax (paid on the purchase price of the car).
  • bizziebizzie Member Posts: 22
    I have an offer for a 2008 X5, 4.8si, 36000 miles or 36 months.

Options: Premium, Tech, Sports, Rear Climate, Cold weather, Third row, ipod, Sirius, running board (MSRP 67520).

Total out of pocket (including taxes): 4100
    Monthly payment: 754.50

Regardless of the price, Money factor or residual, Is this a good deal?
    Thank you.
    Sounds good to me. What city? Did you work hard for this offer or was this an initial offer?
  • bizziebizzie Member Posts: 22
    It was in westchester NY.
    I had to work it a little by getting 5-6 quotes.
    I didnt discuss money factor or cap cost or delar incentives with them, just the monthly payment.
  • mistermayormistermayor Member Posts: 7
    Long time reader, first time poster here... I've been reading a lot and learning as much as I can about leasing a BMW. I'm a current owner and have always purchased up till now but somehow my head is telling me that now is a good time to lease an SUV/SAV. With that in mind, I'd appreciate any comments/advise on the deal I have worked with my CA....its not a done deal yet but whats below is the latest I have. Therefore I'll start off with a question on the August MF.

Is the August MF on the 3.0 X 5 with a a 36 mth lease still .002? If thats the case, then call the police, I think I'm getting robbed! Consider the following quote from my CA

08 X5 36 mth term with 15 K Miles/year
    MSRP of $57,270 (included prem pack)
    Sale Price Agreed $51,290 (he's not forthcoming with the factory to dealer premium pack rebate, do you think this is included here?)
    Residual 53% ( this looks correct)
    Money Factor .00215 (WTF?, I initially though this would be .0016 with the owner loyalty disco, but then he re quoted with .00215 after I told him I'm an owner but not a current BMW FS customer)
    Zero Down and no trade in ( no cap cost reduction to keep things simple! I'll negotiate that with him later)
    Monthy Payment of $758/mth Plus 9% PA lease sales tax bringing the total monthly to $827/mth.

Some thing tells me this isn't right and that i can do much better.....your thoughts and comments/advise are appreciated.
    Mister Mayor
  • suv800suv800 Member Posts: 41
    Hi, Mr. Mayor
    I am having the same situation here, I know how you feel. I am driving a 2006 X5 4.4 fully loaded is almost up. Still 2 more months to go. I've been paying $710 per month includes nyc 8.375% sales tax. That was 3 years ago, the money factor was 0.00075 51% residual 15k per year.
    Alway remember, try not to put a lot of money up front.
    Only pay the 1st month and bank fee if they have to charge for. There was no bank fee when I picked up my x5 4.4 3 years ago. but they do now. Never understood ?

Here's the details for August 2008

2008 BMW X5 3.0 or 4.8
    15K/ Year, 36Month Lease, The money factor is 0.00135, Residual Value for 15k is 55% NOT 53%. It sounds strange, but this is true.

Even the sales quote you a $758 includes sales tax, I think this is still too much.

I am not going to pay more than $710 per month not even with x5 3.0

I am hoping to see a 0.00075 money factor in September.

Good luck to you Mr. Mayor

SUV Man
    "The money factor is 0.00135, Residual Value for 15k is 55% NOT 53%. It sounds strange, but this is true. "

This may be the case for you as a current BMWFS customer....given to you because you have an existing lease. I'm not getting that rate because I'm not a current BMWFS customer but even so, I should get the .002 MF! But the .00215 I'm being quoted is too hight I think, perhaps the dealer is marking this up in anticipation of having to lower the sale price to closer or below invoice?
    On the residual for August I thought it was set at 53 for the 3.0. Perhaps Car man can clarify the MF and residual for August?
    I'm going to be patient...and wait till the current offers expire....and see what they come up with for September...would be great if the MF dropped to .00075 but that is unlikely.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    As a new customer, if you opt for the security deposit waiver, they raise the money factor by .00015.. So, .0020 would become .00215..

Sounds like the case here... though your dealer should have pointed that out..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

yeah the dealer didn't mention that....and I never opted to waive the security deposit..seems like they are padding their wallets over the term of the lease..Isnt it true though that you can negotiate a better MF? and failing that, you can reduce it by applying multiple security deposits? (MSD's) but it still blows..that said, money factor aside, how do you rate the deal? Its an 08 sitting on his lot! Thanks
  • alvallejoalvallejo Member Posts: 10
    Has anyone been quoted a X5 4.8 with Sport Package + 20" Y Spoke wheels + Cold Weather + Navigation + iPod Adapter + Running Boards (MSRP of about 64K)for under $800/mo? I got quoted over the phone $843/mo but that is without any negotiating.
    I have not...but your details are sketchy...are u leasing or buying? what part of the country? what are the terms/lease/mf/residual/DP etc?
  • alvallejoalvallejo Member Posts: 10
    I was interested in Leasing for 36months 15K miles a year. The quote came from Westchester BMW in White Plains NY. You pose a good question about the MF/Down payment and Residual. I was quoted over the phone and failed to take that info down.
    My advice....gets the msrp, sale price, residual and mf, then you can make a more informed decision.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi mistermayor. Dealers are not allowed to charge consumers a lower money factor on leases than the buy rates that banks publish. Having said this, dealers are usually allowed to mark up banks' buy rates to add additional, hidden profit to deals. BMW dealers are notorious for doing this.

BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor for the X5 3.0 is .00200 with the payment of a security deposit at lease signing. If you opt to have your truck's security deposit waived, it would raise this factor by .00015, unless you are a returning BMW FS lessee which makes you eligible for a free security deposit waiver. Loyal BMW FS customers are also being given a special .00040 money factor reduction on leases of the '08 X5 right now.

You also can reduce your truck's money factor by making additional security deposits. BMW FS will reduce your vehicle's factor by .00007 for each additional deposit you make, up to a maximum of seven.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • eaw801eaw801 Member Posts: 21
    I am interested in leasing a 2008 X5 4.8. Currently the offers are roughly: Put $7800.00 down on an X5 with a 3rd Row, Sirius, Navigation, Sport package, and heated front seats. Monthly payments would then be $741 per month. Or put $5000.00 down and pay 830.00. 36 months/10,000 miles. I finally quoted the TMV price but beyond getting the dealers below the MSRP, I am at a loss about how to proceed. In addition, does ANYONE in this forum have a favorite option? Is the third row so totally useless that I would be better off with a Tech package. I have parked for decades without one in NYC....I can plug in the MP3 the old fashioned way and this is a lease. ( I plan to buy in 3 years when the gas issues are a bit more settled.) Meanwhile I want the best driving machine I can get with enough money left over to support (and spoil) my cramped children. ADVISE is welcome!
    Hi, Much better than I am getting.
    What dealership did you use? I have been looking in NYC, Southampton, NY, Tenafly (no quote), and Bayside Queens. If I put down 5K and pay $ 816 per month, I wil have Sirius, heated front seats, Navigation, 3rd row, and Sports package....So far.
  • socal59socal59 Member Posts: 82
    Both you guys putting money down on a lease, if you scroll up the pages you'll soon find out that you should never put money down on a lease. If the vehicle is totaled or stolen you will loose your entire down payment. Plus the monthly payments you are getting are not much lower than putting zero down except for the first payment and assorted fees. I'm no expert in this but I do know that. I'm about to end my lease on my 2005 X5 as as I recall my first payment was like $1700 including deposit, last payment and a few fees. I had a 39 month lease 59% residual money factor was pretty low, 15K miles per year $532 month. Now I'll have to probably add at least $200 to that payment for equal car. I know residuals have gone down to 53% now. BMW doesn't want to eat it at the end of the lease like they will with mine.
    Socal59 is correct...putting money down on a lease is probably not the best thing to do...for the reasons mentioned above. If your concern is reducing your monthly payment, then pay multiple security deposits to reduce the money factor (the interest rate u pay, see Car_man's earlier post) The advantages to doing this are 1) you lower your monthly payment and 2) you get your multiple security deposits back at the end of your lease! BTW, the current X5 .0020 MF and 53% residual, plus the option credit are sticking around for the month of September, so don't rush into leasing an '08 before sept 2'nd!
  • cofla99cofla99 Member Posts: 9
    Ok guys I just got my X5, 3.0 today at hollman BMW in pembrroke pines florida :) .
    Premium pack, tech pack, 3rd row, ipod, rear climate, power trunk, running boards, 1 year sat radio, bmw assist.
    Black on black, bamboo.
    36 mo, 12k miles, $792 mo, $0 down payment.
    MSRP $56,870 EDMUNDS INVOICE $52,290 "Dealer invoice" $52600 (I know it sounds weird but I saw the dealerspeed.net screen and that was the ammount it showed)
    money factor .0020 residual 55% extra miles @ .16 during lease over milage @ .20 new BMW customer.
    Got 6000 dolars of MSRP for a final sale price of $50870 ($1420 bellow invoice) tried to get the full $2590 premium pack credit bellow invoice but after dealing with 2 different sales man, a manager and waking out twice in 3 days I decided to take the deal. probably with more time to quote several dealers you might get it, in my case they didn't have to many cars with the features I needed or the color we liked, beware long wait at dealership just to talk to a salesman, dealer were not reponding e-mails.
    Did I mentioned I also got floor mats, trunk linner and 2 nice dealer key chains! :shades:

Bought the tire protection plan in cash so I did not brake that $800 mo mental barrier if you want to add it to de deal is $21 more a month on 36 months or 649 + tax.

I saw new lease programs for sept, same residuals, same money factor no more premium pack incentive I think tomorrow is the last day to get it.

Hope this helps, the car is parked outside, cant wait to take drive it again tomorrow. :D
    Thanks for all the people that posted their experience here, without it I wouldn't be able to get even close to this deal.

THANKS
    Here is the best deal I have gotten on the X5 4.8: $5000down and $824 per month for
    3rd Row, Rear Climate, Sirius with 1 year, and the Sport, Tech, Premium, and Cold Weather packages, probably Ipod as a give me.. 3 years/ 10,000 miles. The only way to do better is to take out Sport it seems. Any color I want. FEEDBACK???????
    Where did you find this? By the time I got my dealer down in price, the dealership ran out of cars...
  • cofla99cofla99 Member Posts: 9
    MSRP? INVOICE? MF? RES %? :confuse:
    keep in mind I got a 3.0 not a 4.8
    My spouse drove both with me today. He liked the 3.0. I still think that you got a good deal if you feel that you have all of the power you want.
    Hi eaw801. The dealers that you are working with are asking you for way too much money down. Consumers can and should lease any vehicle that they are interested in without making any sort of capitalized cost reduction. Anyone who makes a large capitalized cost reduction on a lease risks losing part or all of it if their vehicle is totaled.

You will likely have better luck getting feedback on the specific options that you mentioned over in the "BMW X5" or the "BMW X5 - 2008" discussions.

Car_man
    Host
    I have significantly reduced the money down. The questions that remains concern the X5 4.8 vs the 3.0. Is the money worth the difference? This IS a 3 year lease, not a lifetime. Next BMW will not have a 3rd row. And does Sport affect th3 X5 3.0 performance. I apologize for mixing forums. There ard many more 3.0's still lft :that does affect negotiating.
  • nyinlanyinla Member Posts: 4
    Just leased 2008 X5 3.0. Numbers below reflect special pricing which expired yesterday. I've heard that BMW loyalty still valid but residuals are going down and you don't get premium package discount. Got a wide range of quotes; there are very few cars that have minimal options. Most dealers in the Southern Cal area were honest and great to deal with. One in particular was awesome; one in particular was the absolute worst dealership and completely dishonest. Amazing the dishonest dealership sells so many cars.

X5 3.0 - Premium Pkg, Tech Pkg, Auto tailgate, rear climate, ipot, heated seats, running boards.
    3 years 10k miles
    MSRP $55,075
    Selling: just over $49,000
    residual 56%
    MF .0016
    D.O. - around $1850 with zero cap reduct (1st month pmt, bank fees, taxes)
    Monthly $697
    Cannot put multiple security deposits down in NY.
    Loyalty helps...I have a quote for Prem,Sport,Tech,3rd Row,Sirius,heated front seats,
    3 years/12,000 miles per year $4800 down/ $764.00 per month or $4600 down and $714 per month without Sport. MSRP on this X5 3.0 is $58,970.00. If I can get this one, I can be loyal in 3 years....
  • pchera01pchera01 Member Posts: 8
    what is Sep month MFs anyone
    Hi pchera01. BMW Financial Services' new September buy rate lease money factors are .00200 for the 2008 X5 3.0 and .00175 for the X5 4.8.

Car_man
    Host
  • drewmishadrewmisha Member Posts: 9
    Do you also happen to know what the residuals on a 2008 x5 4.8 for 12k/yr for 3 years? Thanks.

Andrew
    X5 3.0 Has Premium,Cold Weather, Tech, Premium Sound,Sport,3rd Row, Rear ClimateControl,Heads Up Nav, Sirius, Ipod,Heated Rear Seats, and Running Boards. Also has app 14,000 miles but is guaranteed for 36,000 miles above whatever I take it at. Was Dealership's X5. MSRP $64,670. I pay $2169 down and 632 per month.
  • dollar_pounddollar_pound Member Posts: 46
    My X3 lease is up in Jan 09. I am interested in X5 3.0. Is it usually better to wait for deals till December or should i start looking now. I recently received email from BMW FS that I should start looking for options.

What are the current lease numbers for 12K miles, for 2 year/3 year....leases.

Thanks,
  • socal59socal59 Member Posts: 82
    So my 05 X5 lease will be up in Dec 08. According to my calculations, are these numbers correct for a new lease:
    08 X5 3.0
    only option, heated seats
    msrp $47525
    Net Cap Cost: $44500
    MF: .0016 (returning loyalty rate)
    Residual: .53
    Monthly payment W/Ca 8.25% sales tax: $701.36
    I used an Excel spreadsheet to run the numbers, does the monthly payment seem too high?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Try this: Calculate Your Own Lease Payment

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • dollar_pounddollar_pound Member Posts: 46
    found the answer:

article from wsj

Sales Slump in Luxury-Car Segment
    And Auto Makers Offer Deals
    Luxury Brands Shun 'Cash Back' Rebates,
    Offer Cut-Rate Financing to Draw Buyers
    September 8, 2008; Page D8

Here's something you don't see every day: Factory sponsored low interest rate financing deals on new BMWs. But they're out there now, because even luxury brands are getting bounced around by a choppy economy.

Several major luxury brands, including BMW, Tata Motors Ltd.'s Land Rover, Daimler AG's Mercedes-Benz, Toyota Motor Corp's Lexus, Nissan Motor Co.'s Infiniti are promoting discounted leases or other price cutting deals to spur sales. These brands tend to shy away from crude, mass-market come-ons such as direct cash rebates or "employee pricing" offers. But the deals are there waiting for customers who start bargaining. In August, 63% of luxury vehicle sales involved some kind of cut-rate financing, compared to 43% a year earlier, according to data from the Power Information Network (PIN), which harvests transaction data from dealerships.

The average cash rebate offered by luxury brands in August was $3,240, up from $2,624 a year ago, PIN's surveys found. But a few brands went above and beyond. Land Rover's British-made SUVs went off lots in August with an average $7,016 cash rebate tucked into the glove box, according to PIN data. Land Rover's deals outdid Cadillac and Lincoln – which have tended to discount more heavily than European and Japanese brands. General Motors Corp.'s Cadillac brand offered cash rebates averaging $4,105 dollars a vehicle last month, up from $2,758 a vehicle the year before, according to PIN.
    JOIN THE DISCUSSION

Readers, over to you: Do you think more deals will boost sales of luxury vehicles?Join a discussion1.

Discounts in the luxury vehicle segment are seasonal and cyclical. They tend to be richest in the fall, when car makers launch their new models, and in the dead of winter -- December and January, according to data from Edmunds.com2, which tracks the ebb and flow of incentives. The cyclical part has to do with the auto makers' product timing. When important model lines get old, the discounts rise.

Minor ups and downs in the economy tend to have less impact on luxury car demand, because affluent consumers usually ride out those dips without much real damage to their financial profiles. But if the storm gets violent enough, even well-to-do people will rethink whether it's absolutely essential to trade in a perfectly good car.

That's happening now. The coinciding crunches in the real-estate market and in the finance industry apparently have prompted difficult discussions around kitchen tables even in homes with granite countertops.

Sales in the "lower luxury" car segment, which includes the BMW 3-Series, Acura TL, Infiniti G35 and Lexus ES and IS models, are down 10.3% for the year through Aug. 31, according to Autodata figures. That's almost five times worse than the 2.1% decline for passenger car sales overall. Total luxury car sales are down 14.2% for the first eight months of 2008. Luxury sport-utility vehicle sales are down nearly 18% for the year so far -- a decline that understates the accompanying impact on car makers' profits.

At BMW, the company's U.S. marketing arm has extended its low interest rate financing offers on 2008 models to the end of October, though the deals on certain models aren't as generous as in August. Still, if you qualify, you can get a 0.9% loan on a 335i sedan, or a free automatic transmission.

One of BMW's goals in promoting low-rate financing deals is to encourage more customers to buy, rather than lease, says BMW spokesman Jan Ehlen. BMW has tended to lease about 60% of its cars. Now, the company wants closer to a 50-50 ratio, Mr. Ehlen says.

Leasing has been causing heartburn across the car industry. Too many vehicles -- particularly leased sport-utility vehicles -- leased three years ago when gas was still relatively cheap and the economy was relatively strong are coming back to dealerships worth thousands less than the finance companies had bet when the deals were written. That's translated into huge losses for car makers' lending arms and for the banks and independent finance companies that underwrote leases in the past. Many financial institutions are pulling back from auto leasing, as part of a broader credit retrenchment.

Discounts for several major luxury brands may have peaked in July, when gas prices hit new highs and overall new vehicle demand plunged, says Jesse Toprak, executive director for industry analysis at Edmunds. Now, some of the deals are less generous, he says. But pressure will likely continue for the luxury makes, particularly when it comes to the lower ends of their model ranges. A lot of upper middle-class families stretched to buy $35,000 or $40,000 BMWs and Mercedes-Benz C-Class models when times were good.

Now, says Mr. Toprak, "they're thinking twice."

The current crop of luxury car promotions will dwindle as new models arrive this fall, many equipped with higher sticker prices. BMW has already signaled prices for its vehicles will rise an average of 2.1%. Most of the top-selling luxury brands aren't saddled with huge inventory overhangs. At the end of August, BMW had 30 days worth of unsold vehicles on dealer lots, Mercedes had 62 days' worth of unsold vehicles and Lexus 41 days' worth.

Audi has already largely sold off leftover 2008 A4 models, and dealers have only about a month's worth left, as they await delivery of redesigned A4s from Germany.

Luxury brand shoppers – particularly fans of European brands -- who are considering buying a new car in the next few months should probably book time to discuss options with dealers this month. Otherwise, it may be best to wait to see how the December year-end deals look.
  • snickers6snickers6 Member Posts: 1
    Was getting ready to turn in my 06 x5 4.4 18k miles. Residual was 43k, BMW offered a 13,700 discount letting me buy it at 29300. Plus 3.9% financing if I wanted it.
  • billmvbillmv Member Posts: 148
    I have an '05 X5 4.4 that is a few weeks from lease end, and they offered to sell it to me for $4,000 less than the approx $38,000 contracted residual, with cheap 100% financing. I forget the rate. Just FYI.
This discussion has been closed.