Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X5 Lease Questions

Comments

• duncan66duncan66 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2006 X5 3.0 w/ premium package with 36k miles with a lease termination of January 31, 2009. Contracted residual is around $29.5k. Since this residual was based on values calculated 3 years ago and given the current market does anyone have any intelligence on what discounts from residual, if any, dealers/BMW are offering to entice lesee's to buy instead of returning the car at end of the lease. Also any idea on financing terms?
  • billmvbillmv Member Posts: 148
    duncan66.....I had a 2005 X5 4.4i. The lease was up in early October. It had 29,000 miles on it. The contract residual was $38,200, and BMWFS offered to sell me the vehicle for $34,200. If I took that deal, they would finance it 100% at 3.9% for 60 months. I did not try to negotiate with them further, as I really did not want to keep it.

I presume you have talked to BMWFS about this. If not, and if you would like to keep the vehicle, by all means do so.

I opted to not purchase it, gave it back to the dealer, and they made it a CPO vehicle.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi jh87. The lease payments that you have seen mentioned in this discussion are probably higher than BMW's official advertised payment for the X5 because either these leases have lower down payments or the vehicles mentioned here have more equipment, or both. Savvy consumers who are in an area that has a decent level of competition are almost always able to beat manufacturers' official advertised payments by comparison shopping an negotiating a lower selling price than the ad was based upon.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • duncan66duncan66 Member Posts: 10
    billmy - thanks for the info. I called BMWFS and they indicated that I could buy the car from them directly for its residual, as per the contract, at a rate of 6.4% currently or I could see if the dealer could offer something better. The dealer indicated that if I were to buy the car through them it would effectively be as a CPO since they would buy it from BMW and then sell it to me at potentially a lower financing rate than that quote by BMWFS. I assume the car cost for that will be higher than the residual by virtue of the CPO seal etc. I was curious if BMWFS contacted you directly or through the dealer since the dealer suggested route seems more costly from my end. Just curious. Thanks
  • miltimilti Member Posts: 14
    Carman & Kyfdx,

I have a 2006 X5 with a 36 months/15 k miles per year lease, which is ending in June 2009. Unfortunately, I'm at 41,000 miles right now.

Is it true that I can call BMWFS and purchase more miles? And if so are their penalties that may come up when I turn the vehicle in? Or decide to purchase the vehicle?

Or is it better to turn the vehicle in early and get another BMW?

Thanks
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    Is it true that I can call BMWFS and purchase more miles?

Yes.. $0.16 each.. Looks like you'll need about 5900 more miles.. That's $944. They'll even amortize it over your remaining payments, if you don't want to pay it all at once.

And if so are their penalties that may come up when I turn the vehicle in? Or decide to purchase the vehicle?

If you are still over, after purchasing extra miles, they are then $0.20 each.. If you think you might purchase, then don't pay for extra miles now, as that money will be lost.

Or is it better to turn the vehicle in early and get another BMW?

Probably the most expensive option..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    In general, do you have to turn in your car to the original dealer if you negotiate a better rate at a competing store? Does the policy vary among manufacturers?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    You can generally turn your BMW into any BMW dealer, if they are willing. If they are selling you a new car, they are usually more than happy to do so...

Can't say for other makes/banks...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• billmvbillmv Member Posts: 148
    duncan66......sorry for the delay. I called BMW FS. They did not call me. I asked what they'd sell the vehicle for, and she immediately knocked $4,000 off the residual. Who knows if they would have gone further. I knew I didn't want to buy it, so I didn't press it. Thus, I had no dealings with my local dealer. I just turned it in on the last day.

I don't know what a dealer would pay BMW FS so they could turn around and sell it to you. They would have to make a few bucks in there somewhere, so it seems working through the dealer would be more costly.

Hope that helps.
  • ryo998ryo998 Member Posts: 13
    Just spoke on the phone to a dealer for a '09 X5 3.0 with technology, heated front seats, running boards, and ipod adapter. MSRP is 51725. Was offered $685 + tax, with $3000 drive off. The term is 36 mo with 12K/year.

Is this a good deal?

cvp
  • asteinbergasteinberg Member Posts: 138
    Sounds to me like your 3000 driveoff includes at least $500 cap reduction, or at least $15 monthly -- which makes it $700 a month. If this were 15000 miles, that would probably be at least $730 a month,
    Depends how badly you want this car.
    My wife chose between an Mercedes ML350 and Lexus 400H, both loaded with MSRP of $53K, a bit higher than yours, with 15000 (not 12000) miles, no cap reduction, for $580 monthly. That's $150 a month x 36, or $5400. I don't think it's worth $5400 a month extra for the X3
  • ml2005ml2005 Member Posts: 10
    Anyone know the current MF and residual for 2009 X5 4.8?
    One dealer quoted me .0022 MF and .54 residual.
  • gtregergtreger Member Posts: 5
    Sorry to post this in the BMW forum but i am looking at the ML350 too and I wanted to confirm that you said $580/month with no cap cost reduction? sounds like a phenomenal deal can you share how you managed to get this
  • asteinbergasteinberg Member Posts: 138
    Sure. Simply indicated that I only compared apples with apples, so it had to be NO CAP REDUCTION, 15000 miles, and I was comparing different brands.
    Incidentally, once I received $580 monthly, all the competitor brands (except BMW) matched.
    My wife decided on Lexus 400H - about the same $53K MSRP.
    We received a nice offer from Mercedes in Thousand Oaks -- (are you in So California), but we avoided Mercedes in Calabasas, because the guy tried to add $300 to the bank fee.
    Nice to know this -- Lexus lease charges no turn in fee.
  • naijaguynaijaguy Member Posts: 2
    I just got this offer for a 2009 X5 4.8:

Includes:
    Cold Weather Pkg.
    Premium Pkg.
    Premium Sound Pkg.
    Rear Climate Pkg.
    Sport Pkg. ZSP
    Technology Pkg.
    Space Saver Tire
    Comfort Access
    Running Boards
    Sport Pkg. #330
    HD Radio
    Satellite Radio

MSRP: 72070.00
    MF: .0017
    36 months
    12k miles
    Tax is supposedly included, but I forgot to ask if they factored in the fact that PA leases at taxed at 10%. The dealer is in New Jersey.

5000 drive off. Lease is $864/mo

Could you someone let me know if this is a good deal.
  • tcn2ktcn2k Member Posts: 277
    I got this deal:

2009 x5 4.8i
    MSRP: 70,675.00
    MF: .00155
    Residual: 59%
    10k miles
    zero down
    Drive off: $1,171.00 ( First payment + Registration )
    Monthly including utah tax: $949.17

Is this good?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    How many months?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    36 months.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Your money factor works out to 3.72% APR which sounds pretty good. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    They found the car that was built and delivered on 1/24/2009 so my dealership was able to trade and get me the car I want in time for this incentive. Here's the low down. The car came with an extra package and option that I didn't have in my original build:

MSRP: 72,825.00
    Negotiated: $68,755.00
    Down bmw incentive (free for me): $2500.00
    MF: 0.00155
    Residual: 59%
    Due at signing: $1,848.74 (1st payment + dealer fee + transfer cost from CA to Idaho)
    Total a month with Tax included: $905.79
    Without Tax: $847.72

Cheaper then my original. I just had to pay the extra 171.00 cap cost and 550.00 in transfer. but it came out cheaper then my original bid and i get an extra package and option. thoughts?
    Here's the info that you're looking for, ml2005. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 X5 4.8 with 15,000 miles per year are .00155 and 56%, respectively. Make sure that you insist that the dealer use these numbers to calculate your truck's payment.

Also, BMW just introduced a new $2,500 cash incentive on leases of this model. Make sure to take this cash into account when negotiating its selling price.

Car_man
    Host
  • tombrtombr Member Posts: 3
    Looking to take advantage of the 2500 off. Here is my deal
    MSRP - 55,120
    Residual - 58%
    MF - .00180
    36 month lease

I am offering 48,480 (50,980 invoice - 2500)
    My lease calculation comes to 557.42 (7% tax for NJ)
    Not sure about the basic fees but assuming within 2000.

A question i had was what determines the 10k or 12K lease? Will the Resid or MF change ?
    Thanks for any feedback
  • kimcodekimcode Member Posts: 2
    x5 3.0 residuals
    58% for 10K
    57% for 12K
    55% for 15K
  • dollar_pounddollar_pound Member Posts: 46
    I am looking for a similar deal in NJ. Please let me know if you are able to get one.

Thanks
    Hi Car man, can you provide mF and residuals for X5 3.0 si. Also is 2500 incentive available on 3.0 si as well. Thanks!
  • bmwpleasebmwplease Member Posts: 8
    need factors and residuals and any incentives for X5 3.0
    also appreciate buying experience .....what are people paying under MSRP
  • love2ride1love2ride1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi recently got a x5, nice car did not want to buy the car b/c of know reliability issues.
    Here is the lease purchase from fields bmw in orlando florida..not sure if i would recommend them.
    10k miles, mf .0043 / approx 898 per month...
    no discounts
    msrp of the car 57800 negotiated price down to 54895..
    but think I got screwed on the money factor around 5% ..any thoughts?
    Hi Would you know if 2500 rebate is still available on X5. Also what is good price to get the X5? How much above below invoice if 2500 is included.

Thanks....
    I think the $2500 is gone. It ended end of Jan (if somebody knows differently please let us know). They are now offering 1750 off for current owners. Does anyone know if the $2500 will come back? I think a good price would be a few hundred over invoice. In these times you should be fighting hard.
  • bocahoo91bocahoo91 Member Posts: 2
    Slight correction. They are offering $1,750 off for current BMWFS customers (along with a 0.0003 reduction in the MF). If you're a current owner (and this would be my 3rd BMW in 4 years), but do not currently lease or finance through BMWFS, they have nothing for you.

I desperately want to replace my totaled X5 (2004 4.4i) with a new X5, but BMW does not seem to want to play ball in this economy. Sadly, I'll probably end up buying an MDX this weekend.
  • natsunnatsun Member Posts: 2
    Hey I'm new to the forum. Am on my 2nd X5 3.0 lease which will be expiring soon. I qualify for BMWFS Loyalty $s and am looking for new X5 3.0 '08 or '09 with leather/heated seats. Would greatly welcome thoughts on the best lease deal you think I can negotiate with No Money Down. Thank you all. :)
  • natsunnatsun Member Posts: 2
    Please tell me if BMW still has the $2,500 cash incentive on leases of this model (X5 3.0)? Also, I qualify for BMWFS customer loyalty and was wondering if there are additional savings I could take advantage of? Are there any other savings you can think of?

What fees are negotiable and can I ask dealer to waive?

Please provide the mf and residuals on a new '08 and '09 X5 3.0 with leather seats and heated seats.

Are lease rates on CPOs aggressive?

I'm open to any and all suggestions for negotiating an aggressive lease deal on above specs with no money down. Thank you so much!
  • tizzletizzle Member Posts: 8
    Curious if you were able to get a deal with these terms? I was offered $599.00/month taxes (NJ) included with $2500 + inceptions at signing. MSRP on the vehicle they are trying to move is $49,575 (I don't think there are any options in it other than heated seats). 36 months 10k mile/year. MF = .0018 RESIDUAL = 58%. Willing to give me the $1,750 despite not being current or recent BMW owners.

Also got a phone quote from another dealer for $648/month based on the same terms above except only $24++ due at signing and a MSRP of $54,+++.
    Hey dollar_pound. Here's the info that you're looking for. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 BMW X5 3.0i with 15,000 miles per year are .00180 and 55%, respectively.

BMW is providing a $1,750 cash incentive and a .00030 money factor reduction on this truck to current BMW FS lessees right now.

Car_man
    Host
    Greetings tto the appropriately names bmwplease. Here's the information that you're looking for. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 BMW X5 3.0i with 15,000 miles per year are .00180 and 55%, respectively.

BMW is providing a $1,750 cash incentive and a .00030 money factor reduction on this truck to current BMW FS lessees right now.

If I was in the market for this truck right now, I personally would shoot for a selling price of a couple hundred dollars over dealer invoice minus the available cash incentive.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi natsun. Unfortunately, BMW is not providing the $2,500 on the 2009 X5 any longer. It replaced this cash with a loyalty offer of $1,750 cash and a .00030 money factor reduction for returning BMW FS lessees.

As a returning lessee, BMW will waive its security deposit on this truck for you for free, but you will not be able to get them to waive BMW FS' $725 acquisition fee.

BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 X5 3.0 with 15,000 miles per year are .00180 and 55%, respectively. If you were to lease this truck with only 12,000 miles per year, its residual value would be 2% higher. Its 10,000 mile per year resid would be 3% higher.

I don't believe that BMW is providing lease support on the 2008 X5 any longer. I am not familiar with BMW's current lease program on CPO X5s.

Car_man
    Host
    I was not able to get that deal. The deal i was offered was 660 month. 36m, 10k miles. 2300 out of pocket. This was with the 2500 cap red from BMW. i wish this was still around. Does anyone know for March if it will come back?
  • tizzletizzle Member Posts: 8
    I have been offered $519/month (taxes not included) for 36 months 10k miles/year MSRP $49,575 total of $4000 due at signing.
  • granoffjgranoffj Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if the $1,750 lease loyalty is still in effect for month of march; also can anyone help me out with residuals and money factors for X5 4.8 for Three year lease with 10,000 miles per year? thanks
    Yes, granoffj, BMW is still providing $1,750 loyalty cash on leases of the '09 X5. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 X5 4.8 with 10,000 miles per year are .00155 and 59%, respectively. If you qualify for the $1,750, then you also qualify for the .00030 money factor reduction that BMW is providing loyal customers.

Car_man
    Host
  • wease944wease944 Member Posts: 20
    I am looking to lease an x5. I have used this site many time and I still dont know how to figure out all this money factor / residual ect...
    2 cars
    #1 cold ,premium ,technology,Ipod addapter rear climate..$56675..12 miles..36 month.. $810..That sounds HIGH!!!
    #2 premium/ cold pkg/ ipod...Msrp 54425 ..Same terms as above $729.. that sound high also..
    .I want a payment of $650,NO MONEY DOWN everything included...,What will the Msrp be then? I am returning an x5 in 3 weeks so Im a loyal customer.. NY
  • ocautoseekerocautoseeker Member Posts: 425
    There's about a $4000 spread bewteen MSRP and Invoice on these vehicles (+/- depending on regional Maco/Training fee). Since you're loyalty, you get the $1750 and .00030 mf discount. Assuming a near invoice deal less the $1750, you could realistically be about $665/mo + tax on Car #1. That payment has BMW's $725 bank fee rolled into the payments, all you'd need to pay at inception is your 1st mo and Govt' fees.

Without seeing how the dealer who quoted you structured the deal, I have no way of telling you how he/she figured it. But, I can surmise that he didn't factor in the loyalty cash and ran you at the base mf w/o the loyalty reduction. Then car # 1 could realistically be $810/mo.

Car # 2, same scenario; $607/mo + tax.

You've probably heard this before, but as a reference, for every $100 you add or subtract on a lease, figure about $3 bucks to your payments.
    Hi wease944. It is very important to understand exactly how leases work prior to negotiating with dealers. If you don't understand what you are doing, it is easier for them to take advantage of you. Check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

In short, the best way to get a good deal on a leased vehicle is to negotiate as low a selling price as possible on the model that you want and then have the dealer calculate your vehicle's monthly payment using its buy rate lease money factor. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate for the '09 X5 3.0 is .00180.

You can look up the MSRPs and dealer invoice prices for the trucks that you are interested in over in the New Vehicle Pricing section of Edmunds.com.

Car_man
    Host
  • chrisutleychrisutley Member Posts: 8
    I see a number of posts citing money factor and a percentage for the residual. If I see a residual of say 50%, does that mean 50% of the MSRP (including any options) or 50% of the actual price paid?
  • chrisutleychrisutley Member Posts: 8
    In order to drive the X5 that I want, it looks like I'll need to strike a deal on a loaner or demo vehicle. I'm already familiar with the pros and cons of these vehicles, and I'm willing to live with the cons for a vehicle that is sold "as new" with full original warranty intact.

My question is this ... I cannot find used pricing for 2009 vehicles on KBB and other like sites, and I'm trying to determine what's a fair price for a demo/loaner with maybe 5-10K miles on it. If going price for brand new is right around invoice today, then how far below invoice can I push these dealers on these "used" vehicles?

Thanks in advance.
    The residual value is based on the TOTAL MSRP including all options and destination. So, just to illustrate: if a BMW X5 has an MSRP of say, $54,625.00, and the residual stated 57% ... then that would be 57% of $54,625.00. I know, I know, I'm being redundant, but I like to be thorough to get my point across.

As for BMW's money factors, it can be a bit confusing for multiple reasons. The mf can flucuate based on whether or not you're a repeat customer, whether you pay a security deposit, etc. BMW leases have definitely been more attractive as of late for "loyalty" customers.
    First and foremost, you wanna' find out who was driving that demo. Preferably, it was someone at the dealership, like the sales manager or his wife etc., rather than a true demo. Chances are they took good care of it and drove it easy, knowing full well they'd need to put back out on the line.

Good rule of thumb for figuring out a good price on a demo ... .25-.35 cents/mile. Meaning, if the vehicle has 5000 miles and you figured say .30 cent/mile, that's $1500. Therefore, if you could realistically buy a "new" one for, let's just say $200 over invoice, then you should be able to snag the demo at $1300 below invoice. Also, if it's an '08, deduct another $1000 or so.

You also need to consider the warranty too. Ask them if they actually have an in-service date on the vehicle. They probably do, especially if it was driven 5k or so, but you'll wanna' see how that affects the manufacturer's warranty, since the time and mileage started ticking from the "in-service" date.
  • bstncarbyrbstncarbyr Member Posts: 6
    After spending time on this website and doing research here is a quick and easy way to figure leases...these are only formulas and you need to find accurate residuals (easy) and Money Factors (tougher) to figure out how the deal stacks up

1st Formula ((your cost*(list price*residula percent))/term in months
    2nd Formula ((your cost+(list price*residual percent)*money factor

when you add the results of those together you will get your payment

Once I had this negotiating got much easier

hope this helps
  • bstncarbyrbstncarbyr Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone heard about the new programs or MF rates for the April Leases?
    Here is a nice clean illustration borrowed from T. Shebasta from LC (Thank you T!) ...

Lease Payment Calculation Formula:
    (Cap Cost – Residual Value) / Term = Depreciation
    (Cap Cost + Residual Value) X Base Rate = Interest
    Depreciation + Interest = Base Monthly Payment

Terms Used in Lease Formula:
    CAP COST = Vehicle Purchase Price (amount financed)
    RESIDUAL VALUE = MSRP (window sticker) X Residual %
    TERM = Length of Lease in Months (3 years = 36 months)
    BASE RATE = Dealer’s Buy Rate (dealer can mark this up for profit)
This discussion has been closed.