Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW Z4 Lease Questions

Comments

• Can anyone tell me what I should expect to pay on a 2.5 Z4 w/automatic trans? My understanding is the base price of this car is $31,000 and trans will add another $1,100 for a total of 32,100. I am looking at putting 3,000 down. Any help will be appreciated. :confuse:
  • I meant lease payment not finance... Thanks!
  • Hi z4racing. If you are in an area that has a decent level of competition, I suspect that you should be able to get a 2005 Z4 for a few hundred dollars over dealer invoice minus any incentives. You can find the invoice price of the exact car that you are considering by looking in the following section of this site: Edmunds.com New Vehicle Pricing. You also may be able to get a feel for how much you will have to pay for this car by visiting the following discussion: "BMW Z4: Prices Paid & Buying Experience".

The incentives that I mentioned earlier are the $3,000 dealer cash that BMW is providing on 2005 BMW Z4 2.5 models and $5,000 that is has on on Z4 3.0 models.

Once you have an idea of the selling price that you want to pay, let me know and I can use BMW's actual lease program to estimate what your car's lease payment should be like.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums
  • bdr127bdr127 Posts: 950
    There aren't too many 2005 Z4s left out there.... If you can find them, you could get a good deal. Finding them is the problem. :)
  • addiaddi Posts: 33
    Hello car-man.

Would you give me the MF/buyrate and residual for a new Z4 2006 3.0i. Using these figures, I will be able to work through the basic lease program. Thanks a bunch.

Addi,
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Posts: 38,515
    Hello Addi. This car's lease program varies depending upon how long you lease it for and how many miles per year you are allowed to drive. For now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. If you were to lease a 2006 BMW Z4 3.0i through BMW Financial Services right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00175 and 57%, respectively. You've made a good choice in the '06 Z4. I am amazed by the fact that this car fills the price slot of the old 2.5 model but it has more horsepower than the top of the line 3.0 used to.

Car_man
    Host
    Thanks Car_man for the info. I usually lease for 12.0m miles; however, for the time being I will use the 15.0m you supplied. Also, they are giving a $1,200 cash to dealer through 4/30/06. I was also quite pleased when I received the new catalog on the Z4 showing the horsepower and torque. They have thrown in a few upgrades to justify the new price structure. Have a good day. I appreciate.

Addi.
  • dagsz4dagsz4 Posts: 5
    My lease is up on my current 2003 Z4 on May 23rd. I am planning on leasing a 2006, however I don't want to take delivery on my new car for three weeks after my lease end date because I Will be away. Can I extend my lease by one month and how does that work? I actually took delivery on the 2003 three weeks early because the car came in earlier than expected. Also, they are currently offering a $1500.00 incentive on the 2006 through April 30th. Should I take my chances and see what is offered in May? Any info you could give me on this will be greatly appreciated. :D
    No problem, Addi. In case you are interested, BMW FS' 12,000 mile per year residual values are 2% higher than its 15,000 mile per year residuals.

Car_man
    Host
    BMW FS' specific policy on this matter, but I suspect that like most banks it allows its lessees to extend their leases for a couple of months at their current payment. It's difficult to say what BMW's incentives will be like on the '06 Z4 in May. Its current program for this car is scheduled to run through April 30th. Given the fact that BMW only introduced the '06 Z4 in Mid-February and it already has begun to provide fairly aggressive incentives on it, I doubt that you have to worry about the support on this car disappearing, but only time will tell exactly what will happen for certain.

Car_man
    Host
    Car_Man,

Thanks for taking the time to come back at me with the additional info. Appreciate. You make all our lives better when it comes time for the NEGOTIATION!!!!

Addi.
  • Hey Car_man,

I am planning to lease a 06 Z4 si:
    price: ~ 44000
    15K for 36 months

You said MFR is 0.00125 and residual 57%. What about negotiating the price of the car? Do you think I can take this down to invoice? Below invoice? Do they have any rebates from BMW?

Thanks a lot.

GG

PS: I've a 05 Z4 2.5, stick with premium pack and I am paying 370$ per month inc. taxes. (15k for 27 months, and this includes tire insurrance) I thought I could trade this lease to somebody else pretty quickly.
  • shw1shw1 Posts: 3
    Hi Car_Man.

Do you have MF and residuals for the 06 M Roadster Lease?

Also, I'm turning in my '03 Z4 3.0 in pristine condition with only 15000 miles. Can I ask the dealer to buy this car back from me since, according to KBB and NADA and Edmunds, it is worth thousands more than the residual? I thought maybe we could split the difference so that I wouldn't have to sell it myself and use that money as cap cost reduction on the new lease. Crazy?

Thank You!
    Sam
    I forgot to mention above. 36 month lease; 10,000 miles/yr Thanks!
  • dagsz4dagsz4 Posts: 5
    Car Man,
    I am now thinking that I may want to re-lease my current 2003 Z4 for one additional year. Would BMW do a one year lease? I would only want a one year lease and not a two year. What do you think the cost of doing this would be? I like the color and looks of my Z4 more than anything they offer on the 2006 model year. Any information that you could give me regarding this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Car Man! :confuse: image
  • vsaxenavsaxena Posts: 201
    BMWFS typically allows a 2 month lease extension with no questions asked. If you have a car on order, the lease can be extended significantly further.
    You're very welcome, Addi.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey gokhangulec. BMW is already providing $1,500 dealer cash on the 2006 Z4 3.0si. As a result, you definitely should be able to get one for at least dealer invoice, and probably a little below. Make sure to stop by the following discussion to see how much other community members have paid for similar cars recently: "BMW Z4: Prices Paid & Buying Experience".

Car_man
    Host
    Hi Sam. Unfortunately, BMW is not currently providing any sort of lease support on the M Roadster, which by the way is a great car to drive :). As a result, if you were to lease one through BMW Financial Services right now, you would have to use its standard lease money factor. BMW FS' current buy rate standard lease money factor is .00300. This car's residual value will depend upon how long you lease it for and how many miles per year you are allowed to drive it. If you were to lease an '06 M Roadster through BMW FS right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its residual value should be 54%.

If your car is actually worth more than its residual value, there is a decent chance that you can profit from it by working with a dealer. You may want to stop by the following discussion for an extremely accurate assessment of your car's current value: "Real-World Trade-In Values".

Car_man
    Host
    Ahhhh, I see that you are interested in only 10,000 miles per year, shw1. In that case, your car's residual value would be 3% higher than the one that I mentioned.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi dagsz4. I'm not sure if BMW would let you re-lease your current Z4 for an additional year. I suspect that they would, but I don't know that for certain nor do I know how much it would cost if you were allowed to do this.

Car_man
    Host
    Car_man,

Well, I had to pull the trigger before I heard back from you. MF was 0.0035 not 0.0030. I called Leasecompare to see if they had any info for me; the woman I spoke with didn't have much info but said 35 was pretty much what I could expect. With no other info to go on I asked the dealer to assure me that he wasn't tacking on to the MF, he did, so I went with it. Oh well :( . On the other hand, I was able to get money (~ $2000) for cap cost reduction from the Z4 I turned in. On a separate but more important note.... it is ONE SWEET RIDE! I'm in love with the car. :) Thanks for the info!
    Congratulations on your new car, shw1. You're right, the new Z4 is a great car. Enjoy!

Car_man
    Host
  • buyingz4buyingz4 Posts: 5
    Hi folks,

I'm trying to lease a 2006 Z4 3.0i with Premium Package, Sound and Interior Leather. The MSRP is 41,500$. A dealer quoted me a cap price of 38,800$ ( a discount of 2700$). I calculated lease per month (15k miles/year for 36 months) as follows:

a. Depreciation Cost = (Cap Cost - Residual at 57%) / 36 = ~420$

b. Finance charge = about 130$ (at a money factor of .0021)

So total (according to my calc.) = 550$ + tax

A few questions..

1) Is my calculation above correct (give or take a few)? The dealer tells me 620$ plus tax at the same MF which is way higher than my calculation.

2) Is 38,700$ a good cap price or should I try to bring it down?

3) What is a realistic MF? Is .0015 too much to ask for?

Thanks thanks thanks.
    I'm very new to leasing. I used edmunds.com calculator and it gives me at least 70$ lower. I'm shocked. Even if the dealer and I agree on a MF, residual, cap price etc. the guy comes up with a much higher price. How much different can their calculation be? Please help!

Alice
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,809
    I come up with the same numbers that you do... About $552, using .0021 as the MF..

The base MF is .00175, or .0019 if you don't make the security deposit..

Some possibilities..

1) Acquisition fee.. base fee is $625, though the dealer can charge $825.. That would add around $23/mo.

2) Dealer is marking up the MF the maximum.. That would be .0023 without security deposit..

At $620/mo. the dealer is obviously adding something else back into the cap cost... Both 1) and 2) would only result in a payment of $590/mo. + tax.. Document fees?, Maybe his price includes tax?

At the base MF (.00175) and with a $625 acquisition fee added into the cap cost, the payment would be around $549/mo. + tax.. Your selling price looks great, but you may not be able to get the dealer to honor that, if he has to lease at the base rate.

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Thanks.

Is MF negotiable?

Could the dealer be manipulating the calculation? Or they can't do it? All I'm trying to understand is what are things that I should argue on. We already agree on the residual and cap price. What else is there to negotiate?

1. MF?

2. Should I challenge the way he's computing lease per month? Or is it something I should not do and simply assume he can't cheat me here?

Totally confused.

Alice
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,809
    Money factor is negotiable within limits.. .00175 is the base factor.. you can't get any lower than that.. They are allowed by the lender (BMWFS) to add .0004 to the money factor... and if they waive the security deposit, that adds .00015.. So, the highest the MF can be is .0023

I suggest asking for the base rate and make a security deposit.

While the money factor might not appear on your copy of the lease paperwork, the cap cost should... Ask for the total cap cost and a breakdown of what that includes.. I think you will find an answer to the discrepancy there..

The dealer doesn't calculate the lease any differently than you do... He is just using different numbers..

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• bdr127bdr127 Posts: 950
    The dealer doesn't calculate the lease any differently than you do... He is just using different numbers..

Exactly.... The dealer doesn't do out the calculations by hand, obviously. They just punch the numbers into the computer and it gives them the result.

If the payment is different than your calculations, either they are using different numbers or you have left out a fee here or there...
    Thanks for all the help!