Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier Chevrolet Malibu Lease Questions

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hey cdcruizer05. Lease rates can always be converted into money factor equivalents by dividing them by 2400. Only GMAC and Ford Credit use lease rates though. Most other banks used money factors to calculate the interest portion of lease payments. Conversely, you can convert banks' money factors into approximate interest rate equivalents to see how attractive they are by multiplying them by 2400.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • skoil1357skoil1357 Member Posts: 4
    Hello Car_man,

What are the lease rates for the 2008 & 2009 Malibu over 24/36 months at 12,000 miles for August? Out of curiosity, what are the lease rates for the Malibu Hybrid 2008 & 2009 if it's offered at all by GMAC.

Thanks
    Hello skoil1357. GMAC's current base lease rate and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2008 Chevrolet Malibu with 12,000 miles per year are 5.15% and 64%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are 5.15% and 54%. The 24 month numbers for an '09 Malibu are 7.6% and 64% and its 36 month numbers are 7.6% and 54%.

These numbers are all for non-Hybrid Malibus. Not surprisingly, GM is not currently providing any lease support on the Malibu Hybrid.

Car_man
    Host
  • th83th83 Member Posts: 164
    Hey, Car man.

How are the lease rates for the Malibu looking for this month?
    Hey th83. Unfortunately, for both them and you, General Motors' liquidity issues have forced it to pull the plug on both its special financing and lease programs. If you want to lease a Malibu, or even to finance one, in November you will have to do so through an independent bank. Without any manufacturer support, the lease programs that are available on the Malibu probably are not very attractive. If you are set on leasing, you will probably be better off going with a different model.

Car_man
    Host
  • wdmirishwdmirish Member Posts: 1
    Is there info available on lease rates/residuals for Iowa for Feb-Mar 2009? Thanks
    Hi wdmirish. General Motors' financial problems have forced it to stop leasing vehicles. You still might be able to lease a Malibu, but in order to do so you would have to go through a bank other than GMAC. You probably would bee better off financing the car that you want through GMAC at 0% for up to 5 years or 1.9% for 6 years. That's what I would do if I was in the market for a new Malibu.

Car_man
    Host
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    So, I should consider myself lucky to have an 08 GM lease? My salesmen told me that I am lucky to have such a cheap lease and that I have one right now. The worst case scenario is that I keep the car the whole lease. I can walk away.
    Yep, bvdj84, if you really want to lease a General Motors product like the Malibu you are lucky that you did so when it was still leasing vehicles.

Car_man
    Host
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Agreed.

That said, a friend leased a CTS last month through a 3rd party. He took the cash deal and the lease payments aren't too bad though obviously not as good as the old 0.9% leases.

I feel lucky also. I got 0% for 72 months in September through GMAC on my 08 Malibu. They killed the deal 3 days after I took delivery my sales rep told me.

I suspect 3rd party lease companies will finance a Malibu because it is a good car that will likely hold it's value better than most GM cars.
  • kpgemkpgem Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to guess what my lease payments will be before I go to dealer. I do have some catches.
    My current lease is up next month.
    My payment is due on the 22nd of this month. (369)
    I am OVER mileage by 10,000 x.25 - so I know I owe $2,500

1. Is there anyway to negotiate the excess mileage (given 8 year relationship with chevy - 4th car lease, etc?)
    2. I get a supplier discount and have priced out the following for a malibu.

Total MSRP $27,445
    Supplier Price $26,482
    Current Offer $2,000
    Net Price - $24,482

I have a total of $2,000 I can put down/cover tax, title fees (this is what i did last time on my trailblazer and got a $369 payment).

The dealership said that if I have good credit they could roll in my overmileage into the lease - so can someone calculate based on a 36/39 vs. 48 month lease with the above criteria? The reason why I need to lease is I need lower car payments and need to buy another car-used. Thanks!!!
  • bil2richbil2rich Member Posts: 5
    Car man,

I am trying to obtain some figures on a Malibu, 6 cylinder and I am still trying to determine my trim level. more than likely it will be a LT2, but it depends on what i can get the best deal on.

What are the current offers in the Ohio region and what are the current residuals on a 48 month 15,000 miles per year. I would also be open to a 39 month @ 15,000 per year as well. If I could get the vehicle in the $ 26,000 range, what would the monthly payment damage be.

I am a current GMAC lease holder and know there is a pull head available to me, just want to be as informed as I can be.

Thanks in advance for helping, you provide a great service.
    Hi bil2rich. Let's take a look at the lease program for the car that you are interested in. According to the latest information that I have seen, if you were to lease a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu V6 LT2 through GMAC right now for 39 months with 15,000 miles per year, its base lease rate and residual value would be 0.75% and 41%, respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 48 month lease are 0.90% and 34%. Ouch, 34% is a pretty bad residual value. With a resid that low, you're almost better off just financing this car through GMAC at 0% for 5 years instead of leasing it.

If you decide to go with a lease, make sure to take advantage of the special $2,200 cash incentive that General Motors is currently providing on leases of this car through GMAC. There is also an additional $1,000 loyalty cash on this model.

Car_man
    Host
  • jbofctujbofctu Member Posts: 5
    Car_man,

I am looking at the '10 Malibu LTZ for a 36m lease. I have family at GM, so I am looking to take advantage of the Preferred Pricing(~800 savings) and EVA (1000) in addition to the cash rebates(2000) advertised on chevy's website.

However when I went to a dealer here in Northern New Jersey, they told me if I were to lease through GMAC I couldn't use any of the above mentioned discounts (~3800 worth). I would have to lease through US Bank if I wanted to use the rebates & family discounts. They gave me a interest rate of 5.52% or 0.0023!!! Thats nowhere near to the <1% you mentioned from GMAC. My payments were nearly twice that of the rates you listed in January.

Are these really inillegable through GMAC , is it something specific for my region, or is total bull from the dealer?

If it is bull can you let me know the February 36m/15k mi lease rates ($factor and resid) of an LTZ through GMAC, and if they are offering any rebates in addition to what I listed above.

Thanks a lot, you're an amazing help in the muddy waters of car dealerships.
  • travis08travis08 Member Posts: 2
    Hey Car Man,
    I'm looking for the current numbers for an LTZ in the Detroit Metro area for 36/15k. I'm wondering if the lease and bonus cash are still available.

Thanks!!
    Hi jbofctu. The information that the dealer provided you with is definitely not right. It's true that General Motors is running two special lease programs on the Malibu right now, one through GMAC and the other through US Bank, but the interest rates associated with both of those programs are less than one percent - 0.75% for GMAC and 0.72% for US Bank.

What you were told about General Motors' normal consumer cash not being compatible with leases is correct...however GM is currently providing an even larger $2,950 cash incentive on leases through GMAC and three grand on leases through US Bank.

It doesn't sound like this dealer is being very straightforward with you. If I was in your situation, I'd personally find a different dealer to work with.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi travis08. Here's the information that you're looking for. GMAC's current base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ with 15,000 miles per year are 0.75% and 45%, respectively.

General Motors is currently providing a $2,950 cash incentive on leases of this car plus an additional $1,000 bonus cash for a total of nearly four grand.

Car_man
    Host
  • bookman05bookman05 Member Posts: 6
    Hi everyone. I am getting close to pulling the trigger on a 2010 Malibu LTZ with 6 Cyl. There appears to be 3,000 incentive to buy (plus 1,000 additional for current Toyota owners).

I am more interested in leasing if the terms are good. Car_Man; could you tell me the lease terms for this car? I am interested in 15K miles/yr at either 24 or 36 months. I would love to know all the cash incentives as well as the resid and money factors. Also, can you do a one-pay? multiple security deposits?

Thanks so much. I know that I've asked alot of questions.
    I'd be happy to help you out, bookman05. Don't worry about asking too many questions. That's why the forums are here.

General Motors is not currently providing support on 24 month leases. GMAC's current base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Malibu LTZ 6-cylinder with 15,000 miles per year are 0.75% and 46%, respectively.

General Motors is currently providing a $2,680 cash incentive on leases of this car through GMAC.

A lot has changed at GMAC over the past year. I'm not sure if it currently offers one-pay leases of multiple security deposits. I would guess that the answer is no, but again I'm not certain.

Car_man
    Host
  • bookman05bookman05 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks so much Car_Man. Just one additional question -- Do you know how much of the rebates remain if I switch from purchase to lease mode?
    No problem, bookman05. An impressive $2,680 of the $3,000 customer cash that is available on the 2010 Malibu this month can be used on GMAC leases.

Car_man
    Host
  • autoboy19autoboy19 Member Posts: 152
    Carman,

Do you have the current lease rates and CCR for the Chevrolet Malibu LTZ and 1LT for 36 months and 15k miles per year?

Thanks
    I certainly do, autoboy19. GMAC's May base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ with 15,000 miles per year are 0.75% and 46%, respectively.

The lease rate for an otherwise identical lease of a '10 Malibu LT is the same, but its residual value is 44%.

When negotiating your deal on this car, make sure to take advantage of the $3,200 cash incentive that is currently available on leases of it through GMAC.

Car_man
    Host
  • neil22neil22 Member Posts: 52
    Car man...dealer in NJ is telling me that there is no such thing as a 3200 incentive..there is a 3000 incentive available on purchases only. he pointed me to the edmunds site for Malibu incentives and sure enough it states there is a 3000 incentive listed but also states: $3000 Customer Retail Cash may not be combined with 3.90% APR - 5.90 % APR and vehicle must be financed through the manufacturer's captive finance company.
    Comments Dealer participation may vary. Incentives and Rebates are provided subject to the terms of our Visitor Agreement.
    are you sure about the incentive for leasing ? if so how or where can I get the documentation to take to the dealer to confirm to him the incentive
  • zackpuzackpu Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I plan to lease a Malibu LS. I have the Toyota conquest money + GMS + rebates = 5200 off the MSRP. The lowest quote I have now for 24 months and 15K/year is 258 per month and 456 at sign up to cover title, dealers fee, etc. The total cost for 24 months lease is 6648.9. I would like to know whether it is a good deal. It seems that they do not give me any discounts saying that they can not lower the price because I already have GMS. Is that a true statement? How can I negotiate with the dealer?

This is the first time that I try leasing. Any comments will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
    Hi neil22. The $3,200 cash incentive on leases of the 2010 Chevy Malibu through GMAC definitely exists. Any dealer who tells you otherwise is either confused or more likely lying to you. You don't have to prove anything to the dealer. They know darn well what the programs are. If they're going to try to mislead you then you should call them on it. If they insist that they're not lying, you should take your business elsewhere. I'm sure that there's tons of Chevrolet dealers in your state that would be happy to have your business.

If you opt to finance this car, then you can't use any cash incentives...but you get a fantastic rate of 0% for 5 years.

Car_man
    Host
  • macoliciousmacolicious Member Posts: 3
    Hello Car_man. I am new to this forum but have read all 7 pages. I thank you for your excellent information. My 2007 Impala SS is coming off lease on September 3. This has been a truly wonderful car. Fast. Remarkably fuel efficient if I can keep off the accelerator. I have a tear in my eye because GM is not introducing new SS models at this time. OK, I have a SmartLease. I have a feeling I will be getting "sticker shock" when I see the new lease payments. Can you tell in advance what cash incentives for leases GMAC will have? If I'm starting a lease in September, is it less expensive to get a 2010 or 2011 model (there will be few differences, predicted major changes for 2012)? Is there any advantage to ordering, buying off their lot or dealer transfer? I will have any cash incentive, GM MasterCard cash and supplier discount. The lease I'm thinking of is 36 months, 12,000 miles per year (could be less). Thanks in advance.
    edited June 2010
    Welome macolicious. That's a lot of pages to read through. I'm impressed.

General Motors' current lease program is only scheduled to run through July 6th. It is very difficult to say what its lease program will be like on the car that you are interested in all the way in September. General Motors itself probably doesn't know at this point. A lot will depend upon what the market is like and how well this vehicle is selling.

I generally find that consumers are able to negotiate the best deals by negotiating with dealers on vehicles that they physically have on their lot. Dealers are interested in turning over their existing inventory as quickly as possible so they can stop paying floor plan interest. Furthermore, dealers can deliver units that they have in stock very quickly. The longer a transaction takes from start to finish, the more chance there is that the deal will fall apart. So dealers want to get your car out the door ASAP.

Car_man
    Host
  • axjoke1axjoke1 Member Posts: 11
    Car_man, could you look up the lease rate and residual for a 2011 Malibu LS, 39 month lease with 12,000 miles. I'm putting nothing down, but just first months payment, taxes, and security.

Also could you post the lease rate/residual for an equivalent 2010 model? Much thanks, your help is always appreciated.
    Carman,

I was looking for the residual values for the Malibu LTZ and LT1 for the 24 month and 27 month terms. I also heard that the interest rate on these leases through GMAC is .01%? That sounds crazy, if you take into account the 3200 lease cash. I was wondering if you could confirm.

Thanks
    edited June 2010
    Hi axjoke1. General Motors just introduced incentives on the 2011 Chevrolet Malibu a couple of days ago. Unfortunately, it is not providing lease support on the '11 version of this car yet. It only has 5.9% financing for up to 6 years or $1,000 customer cash.

It is running a special lease on the 2010 Malibu though. Through July 6th, GMAC's base lease rate and residual value for a 39 month lease of a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu LS with 12,000 miles per year are 0.75% and 45%, respectively.

When negotiating your deal on this car, make sure to take advantage of the $3,200 cash incentive that General Motors is currently providing on leases of it through GMAC.

Car_man
    Host
    edited June 2010
    Hey autoboy19. The last time that I checked, GMAC was not providing support on 24 month leases for any model. It does have support for 36 month leases though.

Through July 6th, GMAC's base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ with 15,000 miles per year are 0.75% and 45%, respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a '10 Malibu LT1 are 0.75% and 44%.

The $3,200 lease cash that you mentioned is correct.

Car_man
    Host
  • mernelviamernelvia Member Posts: 1
    I just received my pull ahead offer from GMAC on a 2010 Malibu LS. It is for $199 per month for 39 months with $2,079 due at signing, with a MSRP of $22,545.00. (Note: Disclaimer; Example based on survey...dealerships?!?). This offer is for 1,000 miles per mo. or 39,000 mi. total.
    The $2,079 due at signing (per example) is to include; Security deposit, tax, title & license along with "dealer fee's". My first question is; I thought if you had "excellent" credit that the security deposit would be waived. Is this true?
    Second: In another post you mentioned a $3,200.00 GMAC incentive that can also be used on leases.
    So I don't get jerked around at the dealerships, can you please tell me how this incentive would work if I was to lease a 2010 Malibu LS with a MSRP of $22,545 as in their example.
    Any help you can give me in dealing with the dealerships on this offer would be greatly appreciated.
  • cyman98cyman98 Member Posts: 1
    I received a pull ahead offer and am wondering if the deal is a good one or if I should wait a little longer...possible through lease end for something better. Here's what I was offered:

Malibu 1 LS

39 months

12,000 miles per year

$1,173.90 down (That is $718.39 for tax, title, and license, $256.51 for first payment, and $199 for our documentation fee)

$256.51 per month

Is this a good deal or should I hold out?
  • irnctyirncty Member Posts: 3
    I worked with a dealer on a '10 Malibu LT2. Here's what they quoted me over the phone:

MSRP: 27190
    Sale Price: 22900
    Acquisition: 595
    MF: 2% (0.00083)
    PA tax: 10%
    Residual: 47%
    Term: 39 months
    Mileage: 12K/year

Monthly payment: $335
    Due at signing: 1st months plus license & registration fees (approx. $200).

I was to pick up the vehicle tonight at 7pm. The finance manager just called and said she made a mistake on the residual, it's actually 43%. Payment is now $365/month. I told her to forget it, I'm not interested.

Does anyone know the current residual % and money factor on a 39-month lease of LT2 with 12K miles? 43% seems low.

thanks.
    Todd
  • thejman2008thejman2008 Member Posts: 3
    Car man,

Could you please tell me the residual and lease rate for a 2010 Malibu LTZ and if the $3200 lease cash is still available. I was also wondering how long the current rates are good for.
  • thejman2008thejman2008 Member Posts: 3
    I forgot to mention...thats for a 36 month 12k/yr.
    Hello thejman2008. GMAC's current base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ with 15,000 miles per year are 2.0% and 44%, respectively.

General Motors is now providing $3,800 cash on leases of the 2010 Malibu through GMAC.

I believe that GM's incentives are scheduled to run through September 7th.

Car_man
    Host
    BTW, the residual for leases with 12,000 miles per year would be 2% higher.

Car_man
    Host
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Not a good way to do business over the phone. A mistake? yeah right. Their obligated now to give you that deal since they already told you. You can simple reject any other deal. I am glad you did. They wonder why dealers get a bad name sometimes, that is not professional

Plenty of other dealers to work. .
  • mbd8mbd8 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    Do you see incentives getting better on 2010 models after 9/7/10 or have we peaked?
    Thanks
    MBD8
    Good question, mbd8. It's difficult to say what GM will do with its new September incentives.

If I had to make an educated guess, I'd say that its new Sept. programs will be at least as attractive as, if not more attractive than its August programs. Again this is just an educated guess based upon the fact that August auto sales were terrible and some rumblings that I have beard about General Motors making enhancements to its offers on 2011 models next week. It's difficult to predict exactly what automakers will do with their future programs.

Car_man
    Host
    Car_man,

Do you have the current November lease rates for the 2011 Malibu LS and LTZ for 24 or 27 months and 15k miles per year? Is there still $1,000 Toyota Owner cash available towards leases of this model? Any other cash available for leases of this model?

Thanks again
    I certainly do, autoboy19. Ally's November base lease rate and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu LS with 15,000 miles per year are 0.4% and 58%, respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '11 Malibu LTZ are exactly the same.

I haven't seen anything about the $1,000 for Toyota owners this month, but I do know that GM is providing a $2,900 cash incentive on leases of the '11 Malibu through Ally. There's additional lease cash on this car in California.

Car_man
    Host
  • pk0525pk0525 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    Car_Guy,

Could you help me with some information on Malibu leases? I am looking at potentially leasing for 24 months on either 12k or 15k per year. I am contemplating the LT1, LT2 and LT2 v6 models. I'd like to crunch some numbers. Do you have the latest lease residuals, money factors (or rate), and the new incentives for lease cash, lease cash bonus, dealer cash, etc. I have a topped off GM card and would like to know what other incentives are out there.

Thanks,

PK
    I'd be happy to help you out, pk0525.

Ally's January base lease rate and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu LT1 with 15,000 miles per year are 0.15% and 56%, respectively.

The lease rate for an otherwise identical lease of an LT2 is the same, but the residual value drops to 52%.

The residual values for a lease with only 12,000 miles per year would be 2% higher.

General Motors is currently providing a $3,150 cash incentive on leases of these cars through Ally. There's another $1,000 cash incentive on this car for loyal customers.

Car_man
    Host
  • carbuyer4646carbuyer4646 Member Posts: 21
    Car_man,

Great info. but how do you lease through Ally? I called them up and was told that they couldn't provide any of these numbers (base lease rate, residual value). I was asked to contact my local dealership for any lease related questions.

I am new to leasing and I am wondering what numbers are determined by the dealership vs. being set by GMAC/Ally.

Any tips you can provide on how to go about it will be much appreciated.

(Considering leasing an LT2 for 24 months @ 15k miles/year)

Thanks!
    You're welcome carbuyer4646. What you were told is correct. Ally odes not deal directly with the general public. If you want to lease a vehicle through it, you will have to have a dealer facilitate your deal for you.

The main variable that the dealership has control over on your lease is your vehicle's selling price. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. Make sure to negotiate as low a selling price as possible on the vehicle that you want and then have the dealer calculate your payment using its base lease rate.

Car_man
    Host
  • carbuyer4646carbuyer4646 Member Posts: 21
    Thanks for clearing that up. Since we are now in February, would you have the base lease rate, residual value and incentive for this month :-) ?

2011 Malibu LT2 lease, 15k miles/year, 24 months or 36 months?

2011 Malibu LTZ lease, 15k miles/year, 24 months or 36 months?

Thanks for the information.
    No problem carbuyer4646.

Ally's current base lease rate and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2011 Malibu LT2 with 15,000 miles per year are 0.15% and 52%, respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are 1.8% and 45%.

The lease rates for the LTZ are exactly the same, but its residual values are 56% / 48%.

GM is currently providing a $3,150 cash incentive on leases of this car through Ally.

Car_man
    Host
This discussion has been closed.