Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Lease Questions

Comments

• Options
    tazboy81tazboy81 Member Posts: 1
    I leased a Civic LX A/T yesterday for $205/month for 36 months with 36k miles, only the first payment was put down, everything else (tax, titles, tags, fees) was rolled into the lease. I was also able to get the pin stripe, mud guards, trunk tray, rubber lining around the doors) in it. and I am in MD, with a 6% sales tax.
  • Options
    number1leasingnumber1leasing Member Posts: 18
    Kakita, I am a broker for dealers... I can tell you based on inside knowledge that you should not pay $1 more than $199/month with no more than $1,000 due at lease signing. Thanks including taxes, fees, plates and theres still a fair profit there for a dealer. I buy these cars under invoice and im factoring the price a few hundred over so theres no dealer that wouldnt be happy to accept this deal.

As for your car, I obviously havent seen it but if its in half decent shape there is a good demand for these cars. Youre not getting any tax break from the dealer by trading it in since youre leasing so if i were you, id post it up on different nissan/infiniti forums and im positive someone will snatch up the car for more than $8,000. People on these forums know how good and reliable these cars are and dont fear this car with 96K miles. So if you feel upto it, make it in two transactions. Honda dealers will always have a stock of civics so sell your car privately first, for at least 9k, pocket 8k and use the 1k toward the new civic with your payment staying under $199 tax incl. Yes its true ur car depreciates each day but at the same time your also not making any payments on the new car while u have the old one so it evens out.

At the same time, based on your G35s mileage, it seems like you drive a lot and it doesnt make much sense for you to lease. You can finance the civic at great interest rates now. Use your car as a down payment and pay a little more but own the car outright later. Civics have an even higher demand used and hold a lot of residual value.

Dont fear the dealer, dont be intimidated, if youre fair theres a whole bunch of other dealers and someone will take your deal. Especially honda, they are all over the place and dying to move units. If you need a listing of Nissan/Infiniti forums, you can email me at Daniel@number1leasing.com

Good Luck
  • Options
    CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Here you go dude. Honda Finance's May buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Civic LX Sedan with 12,000 miles per year are .00127 and 59%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Super Preferred" credit tier.

I don't believe that Honda Finance offers 10,000 mile per year leases on Honda division vehicles, but if it does its 10k residuals are likely 1% higher than its 12k. That's usually how banks do it.

When negotiating your deal, make sure to take advantage of the $1,000 cash incentive that is currently available on leases of the 2010 Civic. If I was in the market for one right now, I personally would shoot for a selling price of right around dealer invoice minus the $1,000 dealer cash.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • Options
    Hi kikita. There's nothing wrong with trading in your current vehicle when leasing a new one, but you would be better off having the dealer cut you a check for any equity that you have in your G35 rather than using the proceeds from it as a down payment on your lease.

I always advise consumers to put as little money down as possible when leasing. Consumers who make large down payments on leased vehicles risk losing part or all of them if their vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered. Even though it means that your monthly payment will be a little higher, it is much safer to go with a zero down lease.

Since you are new to leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles on the subject that are available here at Edmunds.com: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

In short, the easiest way to get a good deal on a leased vehicle is to shop around for the lowest possible selling price and then have the dealer that you decide to go with calculate your vehicle's monthly payment using its buy rate lease money factor. Honda Finance's current buy rate lease money factor for the 2010 Civic is .00127 for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    nyc125nyc125 Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2010
    Hello Car Man,

Quick question when you say you "would shoot for a selling price of right around dealer invoice minus the $1,000 dealer cash" would that be approx invoice 'then' subtract the $1,000dealer cash?

That's where I could use a touch of clarity. Does that mean get as close to invoice including the dealer cash, or get as close to invoice and THEN subtract dealer cash to potentially end up with an agreed upon sale price less than invoice.

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    I don't want to speak for Car_man, but having read a couple thousand of his posts, I'm pretty sure he means negotiate a price of (invoice minus $1000).

Just remember... this isn't a consumer rebate.. Don't negotiate a price, and then ask them to take off another $1000. Shoot for a negotiated price of $1000 under invoice.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    david215david215 Member Posts: 4
    I got a quote on Civic LX coupe. Dealer in Utica, NY
    MSRP:19155
    Selling price: 17982 which included all the paper work fee.
    RV 11,159
    Monthly payment 249 tax included with 1000 down payment.
    I realize that it is quite expensive lease. What would be the reasonable price, which number should I negotiate with the dealer? Any advice would be appreciated.
    MF 0.00127
    RF 61%
    I was told that the number 16480 is not realistic, is that true?
    Thank you in advance.
  • Options
    tonystarks22tonystarks22 Member Posts: 51
    Sedan 12k/15k miles 36 months with/without Nav thanks in advance!!
  • Options
    delta737hdelta737h Member Posts: 626
    edited May 2010
    david215,

Please check the accuracy of your information. For example, the 19,155 MSRP, 0.00127 money factor, and 61% residual is for the Civic LX Sedan (see below) and not the Coupe. The $249 payment is way too high even with nothing down let alone $1,000 down.

Here is AHFC's national lease promo for the Civic Sedan...

2010 Civic Sedan Featured Special Lease
    $169.00 per month for 36 months. $1,799.00 total due at signing.
    Includes down payment with no security deposit. Excludes taxes, titles and fees. For well-qualified buyers.

Terms
    Offer valid through: 7/6/2010
    FEATURED SPECIAL LEASE: Closed-end lease for 2010 Civic Sedan 5 Speed Automatic LX (Model FA1F5AEW) for $169.00 per month for 36 months with a $1,630.00 capitalized cost reduction available to customers who qualify for the HFS Super Preferred credit tier. Other rates/tiers are available under this offer. $1,799.00 total due at lease signing (includes first month's payment and capitalized cost reduction with no security deposit; total net capitalized cost and base monthly payment does not include tax, license, title, registration, documentation fees, options, insurance and the like). Not all buyers may qualify.

Subject to limited availability. From May 4, 2010 through July 6, 2010, to approved lessees by Honda Financial Serivces. Closed end lease for 2010 Civic Sedan 5 Speed Automatic LX vehicles (Model FA1F5AEW), for well qualified lessees. Not all lessees will qualify. Higher lease rates apply for lessees with lower credit ratings. MSRP $19,155.00 (includes destination) less the capitalized cost reduction (which may be paid by the suggested dealer contribution) resulting in actual net capitalized cost $16,480.74. Net capitalized cost includes $595 acquisition fee. Dealer contribution may vary and could affect actual lease payment. Taxes, license, title fees, options and insurance extra. Total monthly payments $6,084.00. Option to purchase at lease end $11,684.55. Lessee responsible for maintenance, excessive wear/tear and 15 cents/mi. over 12000 miles/year for vehicles with MSRP less than $30,000, but for vehicles with MSRP of $30,000 or more, mileage cost is 20 cents/mi. over 12000 miles/year. See dealer for complete details.

Given the information provided in this ad, one can compute the MF and Res factors as 0.00127 and 61%, respectively.

Last month, I negotiated a lease for a 2010 Accord LX for $229 per month, including tax, and $80 paid upfront for plates.

Hope this helps.

John
  • Options
    honda_fan2honda_fan2 Member Posts: 4
    Greetings,

I got this offer from a dealer for a 2010 Civic LX, 15k miles/year for 36 months at a montly pmt of $167 plus $1003 due at signing which includes (1st payment, sales taxe (8.125%), DMV and other required fees totaling $300).
    Sounds unbeleivable right ;-))

Here's a breakdown of the calculation

MSRP: 19, 155
    RV(59%): 11, 301
    MF: 0.00127
    Base cap cost or selling price is 15,260
    Sales tax in my area is 8.125%
    period: 36 mos

Their ad was originally $149 add tax+dmv+first payment due at signing (this is for 12k miles/year)
    The problem with these figures is that when you plug them in the lease calculator you get a different lease pmt ($138), much lower than the $149 they are advertising.
    After a trial and error method I came to the conclusion that they are actually using a base price of $15,800 (which is $500 over what they claim they are using). After this discovery I contacted the sales manager and he was denying this fact and said that my calculations must be flawed (which I dont think SO!!!)

Can anyone knowledgeable enough shed some light into this!!!!

This being said, I beleive the $167/mo with $1003 due at signing for 15k miles/year is unbeatable deal ;-)

All comments are welcome!! Thanks
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    honda fan2,

You received a very good deal! However, the sell price was a bit higher than what you've indicated. Here's why...

167.00 = 0.00127(15,467.50 + 595+11,301.45) + (15,467.50+595 - 11,301.45) / 36

Assuming that most of the information you provided is accurate, the selling price of the vehicle is 15,467.50 and not 15,260 unless, of course, you're capitalizing another 207.50 in addition to the AHFC acq fee of 595.

I'm not sure which Ad you're looking at as I don't see one with $149. Where do you see this being advertised? Here's the current 12K mile AHFC Ad...

2010 Civic Sedan Featured Special Lease
    $169.00 per month for 36 months. $1,799.00 total due at signing.
    Includes down payment with no security deposit. Excludes taxes, titles and fees.

Offer valid through: 7/6/2010
    FEATURED SPECIAL LEASE: Closed-end lease for 2010 Civic Sedan 5 Speed Automatic LX (Model FA1F5AEW) for $169.00 per month for 36 months with a $1,630.00 capitalized cost reduction available to customers who qualify for the HFS Super Preferred credit tier. Other rates/tiers are available under this offer. $1,799.00 total due at lease signing (includes first month's payment and capitalized cost reduction with no security deposit; total net capitalized cost and base monthly payment does not include tax, license, title, registration, documentation fees, options, insurance and the like). Not all buyers may qualify.

Subject to limited availability. From May 4, 2010 through July 6, 2010, to approved lessees by Honda Financial Serivces. Closed end lease for 2010 Civic Sedan 5 Speed Automatic LX vehicles (Model FA1F5AEW), for well qualified lessees. Not all lessees will qualify. Higher lease rates apply for lessees with lower credit ratings. MSRP $19,155.00 (includes destination) less the capitalized cost reduction (which may be paid by the suggested dealer contribution) resulting in actual net capitalized cost $16,480.74. Net capitalized cost includes $595 acquisition fee. Dealer contribution may vary and could affect actual lease payment. Taxes, license, title fees, options and insurance extra. Total monthly payments $6,084.00. Option to purchase at lease end $11,684.55. Lessee responsible for maintenance, excessive wear/tear and 15 cents/mi. over 12000 miles/year for vehicles with MSRP less than $30,000, but for vehicles with MSRP of $30,000 or more, mileage cost is 20 cents/mi. over 12000 miles/year. See dealer for complete details.

MF 0.00127
    RF 61%

Anyway, congrats! Enjoy your new Honda!

John
  • Options
    Thanks John, I came to the same conclusion as far as some hidden fees that were not disclosed in the ad, namely the 600 initiation fee, which caused my calculation to be off compared to what the dealer price was.

To answer you question, the ad was launched by Brewster Honda, NY, you can see it in their website by clickin on current offers (although this deal is expired now!!)

I was able to secure the deal last weekend and will be signing tomorrow afternoon.
  • Options
    Hello,

The more I read about the deal, I am a bit more confused. Please correct me if I am wrong. So you should negotiate for the best price. If I get 169+tax+fee with 1799 down payment as advertised, should I satisfied or should I negotiate to get the better price. Someone in this forum even got the deal on 15, 467. When I quote on Civic LX sedan with 16400, I was told that I am not being realistic. Am I missing any fee or I just not tough enough to negotiate?
  • Options
    David215,

When a sales man tells you to be more realistic about a price, I think it's time to walk away and let him feel you are not willing to accept whatever price he offers you. You should counter offer as many times as you can to secure the best price. Of course, there's a lot of hussle and come and go in this process but that's the price to pay if you want to get the best deal out there. Remember, that walking away from the dealership after of course making an offer is not the end of the negotiation, the sales man will surely get back in touch with you with a better offer (assuming he's interested in making a new customer).
    I personnally got this quote you got from my local dealer, but I declined it and walked away, then he called me with a better offer (177$ and 1000 down with 15k miles/year). SO I beleive you should look more and not take the advertised offer as the best deal out there.

Goodluck!! :)
  • Options
    Honda_fan2,
    Thanks for your advice. This is a very helpful forum.
  • Options
    tallkidtallkid Member Posts: 2
    I am a bit cross-eyed after reading so many posts about leasing the new 2010 civic sedan lx and even more tired of haggling with dealers! I just got some numbers back from a guy that look pretty decent, but I am new at this and would love some feedback!

MSRP of the Civic $19115
    Selling price $17,066
    Invoice on the vehicle $17766.07
    So...$700 off invoice.
    Based on that number plus $289 for window tinting, $550 down and my payments would be $212.27 plus tax for a total monthly payment of $233.07.

Should i try to negotiate less down or the full 1k under invoice amount?

Thanks!
  • Options
    talkid,
    I am also looking for civic lx. Is 233.07 included paper work, option and all kind of fee? Do you also have to pay for initiation fee( for the lease)? Thanks for sharing your experience.
  • Options
    Gentlefolks,

If you are in the tristate area, you should be looking for $2000 off MSRP. Brewster Honda, NY is advertising currently the Civic LX for 149 plus tax and dmv (selling price is 15,467+ 595 bank fee which give you an adj cap cost of approx 16000). That's what I paid for mine.

Goodluck! :)
  • Options
    tallkidtallkid Member Posts: 2
    I just heard back from another dealer and they one-upped the other guy:
    $16,500 sales price
    $436 down (including 1st month, license and doc fees) and $205 monthly payments, including tax. I'm in the good old Pacific Northwest!
  • Options
    jamtracyjamtracy Member Posts: 75
    edited May 2010
    Keep going. I just bought a Civic LX Coupe for $15150 and a sedan was $15197. They can go waaaaaaaaaay down. I live in Northern Cali.
  • Options
    jay137jay137 Member Posts: 17
    Stephen Wade Honda in Saint George, Utah is quoting me $2514 for intial costs. If I go with zero down the payments on a LX Automatic 4 dr are $245.80.

I don't think so.
  • Options
    irgirg Member Posts: 197
    I'm looking to lease something new probably late July, my current lease, a Subaru Impreza is done Aug.4th. When do new civics come out? I would look at another Subaru, but i'm not sure I'll be able to lease one as good as I have it now ($205/mo $0 down, taxes included). I like the Civic LX-S - high on my list. I do wish it had traction control though, big oversite imo, available only on the EX-L. Subaru and Corolla all have it standard now. Anyone know if the 2011 Civic will be any different? Seems though at current rates, a Civic LX-s is probably in my ballpark. The Mazda 3 i Touring is also high on the list, although I don't have a local dealer which bothers me.
  • Options
    jay137jay137 Member Posts: 17
    The word is that the major change on the Civic will be for the 2012 model year and it comes out in late 2011. For the model year 2011 it is thought that there will be minor cosmetics. We will have to wait and see if the rumors are correct. I think I've seen were they are taking deposits for the 2012. Was it on Edmunds? I saw it yesterday some place.
    Keep us up to date on your next car. I'm also looking and I may get one as early as next Saturday if the numbers come out right.
    My lease is up on the 07 Accord and it has 14,000 over the alloted miles. Maybe it is best to go with a purchase next time or buy this Accord.
  • Options
    irgirg Member Posts: 197
    That sounds about right, as it relates to the Civic - I think 2011 models will be basically carryovers, which might generate better deals for the consumer. As far as your current lease, if you're 14,000 over, I would probably try and sell outright, or see if Honda will forgive this, if you lease another Accord with them. I might purchase additional miles ahead of time in this case, or as you suggested, purchase instead.
  • Options
    Hey tonystarks22. Honda Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Civic Si Sedan with 15,000 miles per year are .00127 and 58%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Super Preferred" credit tier.

The residual value for a lease with only 12,000 miles per year would be 2% higher.

When negotiating your lease on this car, make sure to take advantage of the $1,000 dealer cash that is currently available on it.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    stang95stang95 Member Posts: 3
    Hi guys I was quoted $220 a month for 3 years, 12000 miles per year with only first month's payment down. Is this good or do you think I can do better? Thanks!!
  • Options
    Hi stang95. The easiest way for me to evaluate this deal is to look at this car's selling price. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. Without this number, it is more difficult to tell how large a dealer discount you are being given and in turn whether there is any room left to negotiate. Let us know what the selling price is and I'm sure that either myself or another knowledgeable community member will gladly let you know what they think.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    fuelcellguyfuelcellguy Member Posts: 31
    I would like some feedback on this lease offer. I was offered $199/month (12K/year) and $213/month (15K/year) with only 1st month down. The details are below for the 15K/year. I think this seems to be a good deal. I do not understand how some people in this forum are getting such low selling prices. From what I can see from truecar.com this is already below dealer cost. How are some people in the low $15XXX?

Civic LX auto 4 door 15k miles /year $213.23/month
    MSRP - $19155
    Selling price - $16167.32
    Acquision fee - $595
    dealer fees - $285
    sales tax (8%) - $611.85

Residual value - $11,307.35
    money factor - 0.00127
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    fuelcellguy,

I did some financial forensics to confirm the dealer's calculations. Although you didn't indicate your state, I was able to determine that it's NY from the way in which the the taxes are computed. No state computes taxes in this fashion except NY. The dealer is basing your tax on a taxable payment of 195.45. The 213.23, of course, includes tax.

One thing that does seem a bit strange and that is the residual value of 11,307.35 which is about 59.0308% of 19,155 (MSRP). Residual factors are nice round numbers like 59%, 62%, etc. This indicates to me that the dealer based the residual (59%) calculation on an MSRP of 19,165 instead of the published 19,155. So, you may want to double check this with your dealer.

The dealer is, indeed, selling the car for 16,167.32 which is not unreasonable at all. However, I think you can do better. I'm willing to bet that you can get this car for $15,718.40. If so, and assuming the MSRP is 19,165, your monthly payment would be exactly 199.00 including tax.

I suggest that you create a professional-loooking one-page lease proposal and FAX/email it to the dealer. This will save lots of time, money, and aggravation as you can negotiate via phone/email from the comfort of your home/office. If you peruse my posts, I give examples of what one should look like.

Hope this helps.

John

PS: Keep in mind that no one knows the true dealer cost or the dealer invoice
    except a few privileged people inside the dealership and Honda. The difference
    between invoice and cost is primarily holdback.
  • Options
    delta737h,

Thank you for your information. I am indeed in NY. I do need to ask, how do you come up with $15,718.40?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    fuelcellguy,

Good question... I rigged it so that the payment would come out to a nice round whole number. Hate subtracting those dang decimals in my checkbook!

Actually, 15,718.40 would be a fabulous selling price. I did check overstock at

zag.com

for the NYC area and found $15,640 to be the lowest price for that area. However, those prices are often overly optimistic so 15,700 something sounded very doable. By the way, a sell price of $15,655.30 would yield a payment of exactly $197.00 including tax. So, if you can get a payment between 195 and 200 with only first payment and DMV fees due upfront, you will have gotten a very good deal.

Be persistent and check around because I'm reasonably confident that you can get there. Keep me posted.

All the Best,

John
  • Options
    delta737h,
    Thank you for all of your help. Right now down to $205/month, not sure if they will budge any more. One more question, they are paying off what I owe on a 2009 Malibu. I owe $14,500 and they will be paying it off in full (I think it is a fair offer). Do I get any sales tax credit for this? I think I can if I was purchasing but not sure I can for a lease. New York State has strange sales tax laws for vehicles.
    Thanks,
    Josh
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Josh,

Per Section 526.5(f) of the Sales and Use Tax Regulations provides, in part:

Trade-in. Any allowance or credit for any tangible personal property accepted in part payment by a vendor on the purchase of tangible personal property or services and intended for resale by such vendor shall be excluded when arriving at the receipt subject to tax. Only the net sale price of tangible personal property or the charge for services would be subject to tax.

According to NY sales tax regs, the value of your trade-in, if used to reduce the gross capitalized cost, would be excluded from the tax base and, therefore, considered to be non-taxable. However, any negative equity capitalized in the lease would be subject to tax. Negative equity is the amount by which your loan balance exceeds your trade-in value.

I would contact the fund provider, if you haven't already done so, to confirm the payoff balance on the '09 Malibu. I would also do some research concerning the trade-in value of that vehicle. For starters, go to kbb.com

Once you've agreed on the trade-value and know the exact outstanding balance; I can, if you like, construct a lease proposal for you.

Let me know what you want to do.

John

PS: NY computes tax on tax. See my post #982 at

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef35de2/982
  • Options
    John,
    I have checked kbb, it showed $13,950 good condition, $14,800 excellent condition. My opinion, 14,500 is a far offer. My payoff is 14,422.82, so there is only like a $73 difference. So I guess from your explanation there is very little tax credit since taxes are based on the payment.
    By the way I was aware about the being taxed on your sales tax and taxed on the negative equity you roll into the lease. So actually in the end you are paying TRIPLE tax on negative equity if you are rolling it and your sales taxes into your lease payment. I tried fighting this a few years ago, but got no where. Just a letter stating that this is they way it is. I have learned that you have to figure out your lease payment without sales tax first, then multiply it by 1.08 (8% sales tax) to come up with an accurate monthly payment. I love NYS.
    Thanks again,
    Josh
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Josh,

I'm not so sure you understand. You are entitled to a full tax credit in the amount of the trade-in value regardless of your loan balance. Your taxable payment is zero. Therefore, you will not owe any NY sales tax. So now, your lease payment should be about 182 instead of the 199 I mentioned earlier as there will be no capitalized taxes.

Not long ago, I had this same situation with someone from NJ that was leasing an Infiniti G37. His sales tax liability was zero. Ask the dealer to write you a check for $73 equity or, apply it to the upfront costs.

Also, you are not paying triple tax on the negative equity. And, you don't multiply the taxable payment by (1 + tax rate) to get the lease payment. See my post #982...

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef35de2/982

Hope this helps.

John
  • Options
    John,
    I did not realize this was the case. As an example, my sister traded in her car recently for a lease. They paid off exactly what she owed ($18,622.85). She did not however get any sales tax credit. In fact it was not even referenced on the lease contact. Can she go back and get a refund from the state? I mean she did sell it to a dealer for resale.
    Josh
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Josh,

She is entitled to a trade-in tax credit. The trade-in value is used to reduce the gross cap for purposes of determining the taxable payment. The trade-in value has nothing to do with the amount owed which may be more or less than the trade value. If the trade-in value was not documented at the time your sister leased her new car, then it may be difficult to prove. It certainly doesn't hurt to discuss the matter with the dealer.

Let me know if I can be of assistance.

John
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Josh,

I just found something that's a bit troubling in the following document...

http://www.tax.state.ny.us/pubs_and_bulls/tg_bulletins/st/taxable_receipt.htm

This publication provides that for trade-ins

As a seller (i.e., dealer), when you accept something as a trade-in and reduce your selling price accordingly, sales tax is only due on the reduced price after subtracting the credit for the trade-in, as long as you plan to resell the trade-in item. This is most common with sales and purchases of motor vehicles.

Example: A customer comes into your car dealership and decides to buy a vehicle from you for $22,500. You agree to take the customer’s current vehicle as a trade-in and give him a $4,500 credit for his old vehicle. You would calculate the taxable amount of the sale as follows:

Original price $22,500
    Trade-in -4,500
    Sale price subject to tax 18,000

Again, this is only true as long as you plan to resell the vehicle being traded in, and the trade-in allowance is being applied as partial payment for the item being purchased.

Whether it's a lease or purchase shouldn't matter as every leased car is a sold car... someone is buying it. According to the above March 2010 publication, the trade-in value is non-taxable as long as it is used as partial payment for the item (vehicle) being purchased. It's interesting to note that New Jersey has similar wording in their reg...

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/ssutlease.pdf

yet uses the entire trade-in value when computing the tax credit regardless of whether there's an outstanding balance or not.

The NY reg, as stated, doesn't make a bit of sense whatsoever as they compute tax based on the sum of the taxable payments. And so, NY distinguishes between taxable payment and non-taxable payment. As such, it shouldn't matter whether or not there is a loan balance existing on the trade as it's being paid-off by the dealer in exchage for your trade.

I would contact the NY Dept of Taxation...

http://www.tax.state.ny.us/nyshome/telephone.htm

and request clarification. Also, don't take the word of the representative. Ask them to direct you to the appropriate legal document or reference.

John
  • Options
    analyticbuyeranalyticbuyer Member Posts: 1
    I am shopping for my first car, having just graduated from college. I saw that Honda has a special financing program for recent college grads, so I stopped at a dealership to talk to them about financing/leasing options. I wanted to get a basic idea of what it would cost me to lease a Civic, so I got a quote for a Civic LX. I didn't think it was the time to worry about price negotiations, so the price is sticker.

Here is the specific information:

Selling Price: $19,020
    Down Payment: $2,000
    Term: 36 months
    Rate: 0.00200
    Residual Value: 61%, $11,660

Monthly Payment Quote: $246

When I got back home, I looked up how monthly payments on leases are calculated. Here is what I did:

Depreciation Cost = [(19,025 - 2000) - 11,660] / 36 = $149.03
    Financing Cost = (17,025 + 11,660) * .00200 = $57.37
    Monthly Payment = 149.03 + 57.37 = $206.40

I live in Ohio, where, from my research, I understand sales tax is paid up front in full. So, I don't think that is included in the monthly payment.

So, my calculation and the quote are not even close. Did I make a mistake, not have enough information, not understand what's going on here...? I am going to graduate school in math, so this is driving me crazy.

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • Options
    Use this leasing calculator:
    http://www.carbuyingtips.com/regm.xls
    it's easy to use.
    Looking at your deal you should be negotiating down to around $15,800 for a decent deal on a Civic LX auto. Just leased one in upstate NY at this price. With putting tax and $2000 down you should at a much lower monthly payment. Use the calculator to figure it all out. Don't forget about all the fees (DMV, dealer fee, acquision fee - $595, etc)
  • Options
    czphdczphd Member Posts: 1
    I'm in Richardson, TX. Credit score 690, first car purchase. Got the following deal for a Honda Civic LX:

A money factor .00245
    $2,000 down (bc of first purchase) + $1,000 down for TTL (it's Texas :sick:)
    There is an acquisition fee of $595 included
    MSRP: 19155, although I think they may have jacked up the price a bit bc of add-ons.
    Residual value 61%
    36 months
    I negotiated a monthly payment of $185.

Is this a good deal? I'm thinking it's OK since it's my first purchase.

Thanks!
  • Options
    dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    The featured lease deal is at 0.00127 (3.06%) but requires top tier credit, so paying more with a lower score / no car credit history is to be expected.

The residual is correct and can't be changed by the dealer or your score.

Even if you qualified for the featured deal as written you would need to pay TX taxes and put money down and put down nearly $2k, so your payment is not that bad compared to the featured deal.

That said, there is a $1,000 incentive to dealers that can be combined with the lease deal, so selling prices of $1k under invoice are possible. Plug in your numbers into a lease calc and see what you are paying for the car, I would bet you can whittle the price down lower. With no car credit you may not can help the money factor, but you always try for a better price.
  • Options
    larryz007larryz007 Member Posts: 2
    I'm trying to help my brother out who lives in NY. He recently traded in his 2001 Honda civic to lease a 2010 Honda Civic DX Sedan. His payments are only $150 per month for 36 months at 12,000 mile per year. Is there any way he can purchase the car prior to the end of his lease? His problem is that he should have negotiated the lease for 15,000 miles per year instead of the 12k per year and he's worried about the penalty at the end of the lease. He just completed this lease around 2 weeks ago. Does he have any chance to re-negotiate this transaction or is too late? He has a very good credit rating.
    Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions.
  • Options
    cathsiobhancathsiobhan Member Posts: 1
    @fuelcellguy

Hi, I'm curious what dealership you were working with... I am trying to lease a civic lx, but in my neck of the woods, they won't budge from a $16,900 cap cost ... which puts my monthly lease payments at $259 (15K miles, 24 month lease, $0 down). I will gladly go upstate to get a better deal, but need to get the car this weekend.

(sorry if this message posts twice ... not sure if it went through previously)

Thanks,
  • Options
    I worked with Dick Ide in Rochester. They were advertising $199/month for 36 months with taxes and fees included. I did however get good prices from Keenan Honda in Doylestown, PA. The salesman at Keenan sent me prices for all trim levels. The LX automatic was $15,756.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I picked up a Civic LX sedan w/auto last night for my son.

MSRP: $19,155
    Invoice: $17,706
    Sell price: $15,999
    Doc fee: $398
    Acquisition fee: $595
    Net Cap: $16,992
    Term: 36 months / 12k miles per year
    Residual: $11,684.55
    MF: 0.000127 (3.05%)
    Payment: $183.85 plus tax
    Due at signing: first payment w/tax + tags + title

One dealer was doing $199 + tax + tags + title with a sign and drive.
    Another dealer was doing $179 + tax + tags + title with $240 due at signing (the best deal), but this dealer was several hours drive away.

I e-mailed the sales manager of a local dealership and asked for a price. I mentioned the $1k incentive and the stepped dealer money that ended at the end of month (yesterday) and asked if he wanted or needed to sell one more. I guess he did, based the price I got. Counting the doc fee as part of the price (I always do) put it at about $1,300 under invoice net, I think the step was at least $300 and may have been $600 or more. So a break even or make money deal even at that price, and 100% of holdback as well.

My son is very happy as am I :D
  • Options
    jleve1974jleve1974 Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2010
    OK so I basically need to know if it's realistic to think I can lease a Corolla (manual transmission) for under $200 a month for 36mos with no $$ down and 36K miles for lease term in NJ. Can anyone give advice?
  • Options
    This is the Honda Civic lease forum, you might want to post this in the Corolla lease forum.

If you want a Civic, yes it is possible to lease a new Civic for under $200 per month with only the first payment down up front. Or at least it was last month and it of course depends on your tax rate and state.
  • Options
    Hi larryz007. If your brother signed his lease only two weeks ago he may be able to purchase additional miles on a per-mile basis at a discounted rate by speaking with someone at Honda Finance. There's no guarantee that they will be willing to work with him, but that's the first thing that I would try if I was in his situation.

If that doesn't work, he really does not have much choice but to continue leasing his car. There really isn't any cheap way to get out of a lease several years early. Your brother may end up having to keep his car until the scheduled end of his lease and at that time decide whether he is interested in purchasing it. Doing so actually makes some sense at this point. Keeping his car until lease-end gives him the option to walk away from it if it ends up being in an accident at some point over the course of his lease (which would damage the car's resale value...why not let the bank take the hit instead of him) or if they car ends up giving him problems.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Honda 15k leases carry a 2% lower residual than 12k leases, IIRC. So a DX sedan's MSRP is $16,408 so the residual would drop $328.20. The over mile fee is $0.15 per mile so 9,000 miles would cost $1,350 VS $328.20 plus taxes and interest. So worth trying to re-do if possible, but not end of the world if you can't.
This discussion has been closed.