Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Lease Questions

Comments

• dan36124dan36124 Member Posts: 27
    Well, yes of course it's depreciated, but I've also paid the loan down over that time, so I should roughly break even or possibly make a buck or two. Not sure until I get a number from a dealer on the trade.

I'm trying to get into something that's a good amount cheaper than the TL but still nice if possible. a 21,000 car is about 1/3 cheaper than a 33,000 car. Plus the Civic gets much better mileage, so I'm saving that way too. Plus if I lease the Civic that's cheaper than a finance. So my payment would likely go from 650 to 300-ish plus another 50 bucks or so in gas. I could get a simple Kia or something with no options, but I'm trying to get something just a little nicer. I thought about the LX but it's not that much more for the EX. I hear ya though.

And are you suggesting the Prius is a bad idea? Too expensive? Still about 23,000ish. And the gas savings are significant. Seems like it might be worth it.

Any other ideas for a car instead? As posted above, apparently the 2012 Civics are crap. What else might you suggest?
  • brownmaxxxbrownmaxxx Member Posts: 2
    Thanks in advance for the help and sorry for the newbie questions. I've read a lot over the past few days and I have searched for answers.

I am looking to lease a 2012 Civic EX Navi or EX-L Navi (undecided about the leather seats - could go either way), although most of my questions are probably more generic to Honda than to the specific vehicle.

1) Is a $595 acquisition fee standard on all Honda leases? Is this ever waived? Is this ever marked up by dealers?

2) Does Honda have a standard Disposition fee? How much? Is it reasonable to expect this to be waived if I re-lease with Honda? Is this up to individual dealer or is it set by the manufacturer?

3) What types of things should I be aware of for how Honda classifies excessive wear and tear? Anything that stands out as unusual or different from other companies? Should I expect to pay fees if the tires are worn out at 36,000 miles? Etc.

4) Is gap insurance included as standard in Honda leases?

5) Does Honda allow the money factor to be bought down with a security deposit?

6) Does Honda offer 10K mile leaes? How would this impact the residual factor?

7) I had one salesman tell me that the Civic lease would include some of the features of luxury car leases, such as oil changes and other light maintenance (perhaps tire rotations, etc.). Another salesman at the same dealership a few days later said no way. What do you think about this? If this is real, is it a Honda thing or is it just something this dealership might offer as a promotion? The first guy made it sound like it was a standard part of the Honda lease contract.

8) Given an MSRP of $24,225 (EX-L Navi), does a selling price of $22,100 seem like a great deal? I have seen it suggested on other web sites that anything under about $22,500 would be fantastic as this is allegedly somewhere around the factory invoice price.

Thanks a bunch for your help!
  • robtroxelrobtroxel Member Posts: 103
    edited February 2012
    Well first, Don't do it! I just returned from the Chicago auto show where I visited the Honda display. The reps there were already in damage control about the crappy interior, namely the dash that looks like a fiber glass nightmare! (Not the only thing to hate) Of course we busted the reps chops about it and to his credit he spent time to tell the truth by saying the "Revisions" coming this fall will fix alot of the short comings seen now. If you can wait, you will get something much better than the current Civic. Otherwise, look elsewhere! There was a day when the Honda was the best game in town, but that disappeared the the great competition which has surpased Honda. Can you imagine, rear seat heaters in a Hyundia Elantra? They are kicking the Civics butt all over the place. Take a look at that car on one of the Fords. All far better choices.

Good Luck but please take your time. PS I don't think you can get a 10 K yearly lease with Honda credit.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    You're welcome dan36124. The rules for sales tax vary from state to state. I know that the value of the trade is definitely subtracted from the sales tax in my state on a lease, but your state may be different.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Interesting. One more mysterious rule and bunch of numbers for a dealer to confuse ya with! I have to find out for sure what happens on a lease, since it's pretty likely I'm leasing whatever I get.

Also, one other question. Is there any place to look for residuals and money factors for everybody at a glance rather than needing to post here and wait? Sometimes it can take a little while to get a response, that's all. :) Are these buy lease rates and residuals posted anywhere all together?? Thanks so much for your help. I think I'm going to post on the Hyundai boards for some info there!
    Hi brownmaxxx. Here's some of the answers that you're looking for.

Honda Finance charges a $595 acquisition fee on every vehicle that it leases. This charge cannot be waived. you have to either pay it at signing or roll it into your vehicle's capitalized cost to make it part of the payment. Dealers are sometimes allowed to mark up banks' acquisition fees.

I don't believe that Honda Finance charges a disposition fee, but I am not 100% positive that is the case. This charge is set by the bank that you are leasing through, not the dealer. Almost every time a lessee leases another vehicle from the same bank the disposition fee is waived if there was one.

Honda Finance is usually fairly lenient in evaluating vehicles for excess wear and tear. Excessive tire wear is one of the things that they look at.

Gap insurance is automatically included on Honda Finance leases.

I do not believe that it allows lessees to make additional security deposits to buy down their money factor.

I don't think that Honda Finance allows 10,000 mile per year leases on Honda division vehicles, but if it does its 10k residual values would be 3% higher than its 15,000 mile per year residuals and 1% higher than its 12,000 mile per year residuals.

Honda does not include free scheduled maintenance on its vehicles. You can get a pre-paid maintenance contract, but you will have to pay for it.

The selling price that you mentioned would indeed be a good deal on this car.

Car_man
    Host
    You're very welcome dan36124. I am not aware of any resource that provides accurate information on manufacturers' current lease programs to the general public.

Car_man
    Host
  • mitch053mitch053 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2012
    Just leased a Civic LX in NJ and I think I did ok. 36 months, 12k miles/year, $1999 at signing plus tax, tags, registration, $139/month. Does this sound ok?
  • kelvskelvs Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2012
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking to lease a 2012 Civic Coupe EX in Southern California. 12k miles a year, 36 mos. and no downpayment. The Dealer offered $230 including tax with no down on an LX (I was looking for an LX a week ago but decided to get a EX now). I'm wondering if I could get an EX for the same price or even lesser on another dealer? Mom (co-signer) has excellent credit. Appreciate your help.
  • jason115jason115 Member Posts: 3
    just got a quote from honda dealer for 2012 honda civic EX with navigation and sunroof. Since my credit isn't that good(around 720). They offer me $3000 for DP, $370 monthly payment(include TAX) for 35 months leasing term, and the residual price is $13500 at the end of lease. How is this sounds? how bad of this deal? :mad:
    Hi Car Man - Can you post any changes from Feb to March on Civic leases? I'm still looking for EX Coupe with Nav. 36 months/15k a year. Last month was .00081 and 58%. Making sure it's the same or better this month! Thanks!
  • bostonbenbostonben Member Posts: 71
    Sounds like they took a hit this month for this model.

Here's the information I am seeing in Massachusetts:

MSRP $22,775.00
    Sale Price $19,961.18
    Residual $12,981.75 (57% of MSRP)
    Financing 0.00130 money factor

These are the numbers for an equivalent sedan:

MSRP $22,775.00
    Sale Price $19,982.79
    Residual $13,665.00 (60% of MSRP1)
    Financing 0.00130 money factor
  • prospectiveprospective Member Posts: 10
    Aloha All!

I'm looking for some help from everyone... I'd like to lease a 2012 Honda Civic EX. Here are the terms:
    2012 Honda Civic EX (Automatic)
    24 Months
    15,000 Miles per year
    $2,000 Down at signing
    Lease through AHFC
    Selling price: $19,875.00
    Money Factor: 0.00130 (is this a negotiable rate or is it fixed by AHFC)
    Residual %/Amount: 66.00% or $14,041.50
    Monthly payment: $263.43 plus tax

Can you please tell me if this is a good deal?
  • bostonbenbostonben Member Posts: 71
    The money factor is not negotiable, and it is rather high at about 3.12% equivalent interest rate.

The selling price seems very high to me. You should be able to get this lease with ZERO down for about the same price.

Target selling price in the Northeast is about 18,650.00, so your selling price $1200 over this. You do not say where you are located, but you should definitely shop around on PRICE only first, then get lease terms.
  • prospectiveprospective Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the tip on the price... I think I'll pass on the 2012 Honda Civic EX and look for something with better terms!
    You are very well informed to take a pass on the 2012 Civic at least till the late fall redesign/fix on all the cheapo shortcomings. So sad to see what Honda has done with this car.
    ---reposting---

Hi Car Man - Can you post any changes from Feb to March on Civic leases? I'm still looking for EX Coupe with Nav. 36 months/15k a year. Last month was .00081 and 58%. Making sure it's the same or better this month! Thanks!
    Hey dan36124. Honda Finance's March buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 Civic Coupe EX with Navigation and 15,000 miles per year are .00065 and 55%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

If I was in the market for this car right now, I personally would pass on the Navigation. It is waaaay too expensive to get it integrated into this car for me. Not only does the car's MSRP jump by $1,500 when it is added, but its residual value drops by 2% as well...a double whammy. Of course it won't look quite as nice, but it would be much, much cheaper to use your phone or get a Garmin.

Car_man
    Host
    Wow. I didn't realize that drops the residual?? Makes no sense. Thanks very much for the information.

In that case, if I decided to get it without Nav, are you saying it would be 57% for a 15k a year lease?? Same money factor? I know the MSRP is 21,275 rather 22,775 so selling price would drop similarly.

Last month the same model (with Nav) was 58% residual....Why would they drop it 3 percent this month?

All this makes me think purchasing the car is worth the $100 a month or so more just to avoid all this ridiculous residual stuff. Much easier to figure a simple sales price!
  • dolsey01dolsey01 Member Posts: 92
    Hi Car_man,

We were unable to get a deal done in Feb, could you please post the updated March numbers for a Civic LX Sedan?

Thanks so much!
    Car man, would you do me a favor and post 4 things for me so I can fully compare this month...Residuals and money factors (if they differ from model to model)

**All with 15k miles please.**

EX Coupe Nav
    EX Sedan Nav
    EX Coupe no Nav
    EX Sedan no Nav

I seem to be getting different residuals from places. And I like your .00065 money factor, but I seem to be getting .00130 and not sure which is right. Thanks very much!
  • sleepysoosleepysoo Member Posts: 54
    Hey Car Man!

What is the current residual and MF on a Honda Civic Ex sedan? 12,000 miles/year?

Thanks!!!
  • dolsey01dolsey01 Member Posts: 92
    Just leased a Civic LX Sedan for my mother in Florida so I'll share the numbers I received:

This is for a 36 Month 12K Lease on LX Automatic:

MF: .00130
    Residual: 62%

MSRP: $19,425 Invoice: $17,955

Sale Price: $17,421 (I believe there is $400 in dealer cash so this is really only $134 below invoice).

We rolled in the acquisition fee into the cap cost so the actual cap cost was 18016.79.

Out of pocket I paid the first month, BS dealer fee and registration.

The base monthly payment ended up at $205 + tax.

Hope this helps.
    Hi dolsey01. Honda Finance's March buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 Civic Sedan LX with 15,000 miles per year are .00130 and 60%, respectively for consumer who qualify for its top credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi dan36124. Honda Finance's March buy rate lease money factor for the 2012 Civic is .00130.

Its residual values for 36-month, 15k leases of these cars are 57% for the Coupe EX without Nav, 55% for the Coupe EX with Nav, 60% for the Sedan EX and 58% for the Sedan EX with Nav.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey sleepysoo. Honda Finance's March buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 Civic Sedan EX without navigation with 12,000 miles per year are .00130 and 62%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its "Super Preferred" credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
  • cbm26cbm26 Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2012
    Hi Car Man (& others!)- PLEASE help -I want to lease the same - civic sedan autom 4 door lx for 36 months at 12,000 in Mount Kisco NY. My credit unfortunately is terrible b/c I declared bankrupcy last yr although I've had a lease w/Honda for yrs, am keeping it, and have always paid on time. I can only put down 1000 (IF it made a big difference, I may be able to borrow another 500/1000 ) - plus tax, tags, reg . I was quoted $235 (after negotiatiing way down by the manager saying he got my tier bumped up to a higher teir ) I have an accord ex and it's 269 per month. Over 200 seems high for the civic although I really don't know! One post just said they got it for $205 per month and another in nj for 140 I believe - I like THAT figure!!
    1. How do I figure if $235 is ok considering my credit and what I have to put down?
    I don't understand the mf and how to calculate ON MY OWN what a fair monthly should be. I just know to get the gross cap as low as possible and then I need to find the residual ( 3. how do I do this for a 3yr lease? not sure how to) and 4. find out the the "rent charge" to find the monthly cost. I don't get where the interest number or "mf" comes into play.

Any feedback is truly appreciated!! It's all so confusing to me , even after reading alot about it. I'd like to lease asap and wish I knew if I should try and do it today, before the end of the month. I doubt I'll reach anyone out there today though! Whenever I do, Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
  • krice3krice3 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm looking for lease info (MF and Res) on a 2012 SI sedan. Thank you for your help.
    -Kevin
    Hi cbm26. We should start by evaluating this vehicle's selling price. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. Let me know what this car's MSRP and selling price are and so that we can evaluate how large a dealer discount you are being given.

Once we have this info we can play with the numbers to see approximate what sort of money factor you are being charged.

Car_man
    Host
  • morgan5245morgan5245 Member Posts: 4
    Hi Car Man. Could you please post April’s MF and residual for a 36-month lease for both a 2012 Civic Sedan EX and Civic Sedan Si – with 12,000 miles a year? -Thanks
    edited April 2012
    I can't thank you enough for responding!! I'm amazed! :) I really have to lease w/in a week or two. TU, TU!! Ok, I called the dealer again and they tell me the MSRP is 19425 and the best price to buy it outright would be 1800. He told me that he was able to get our credit rating to go up two levels to their highest teir (how they did this, if they did, w our recent bankrupcy is beyond me but...) With 1000 down , plus mv plate fees only, he said he could do $218 a month. I asked if we pd acq fee and taxes up front, another approx $1200, what it would be and he said approx $188 - oh & for 36 mnths, first included & w/1200 miles. Thoughts? I actually may consider another car altogether bc my accord is TERRIBLE in the snow and I fear the civic will be but thought I'd have to stay w/Honda bc of our bankrupcy, low current income, and good payment hist w/them. I guess another Q would be should I avoid this yrs civic and try and get a lease from Toyota? I hate the thought of starting over tho! What's this about a "month to month" lease? can I do that and request a new civic when they come out in the fall?? Seems doubtful but who knows! TU!!! Cbm26
    Car man where art tho??? I have to lease tomorrow for next week!
    Thank you
    Cynthia
  • anilkujanilkuj Member Posts: 1
    Hi Car man ,

i am planning to lease a 2012 CIVIC LX , can you please provide me with the residual value for this model for April?

Thanks
    Hi,
    I just leased one today in ny and was given 12044 . I hope this helps you!
    Cynthia

As an aside, I"ve completed my deal although after negotiating the invoice at 18000, when I get in to the dealer the gross is listed as 18770 and I"m told it included acqusition. I thought this was included in the amount negotiated- isn't it usually? 18770 seems high as a gross! also I gave 1000 down only and expected the monthly fee to include the taxes b/c he said it would. The dealer paperwork had the adjusted cap as not 1000 but almost 400 b/c he said the 1000 went to taxes and the remainder was 400- yet the monthly includes taxes! (214 per mo w/a 3% finance) I couldn't understand this and still don't! It seems I got taken. Is this how it goes? How can I be paying taxes twice? thanks
    Cbm26
    Hi morgan5245. Honda Finance's April buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 Civic Sedan EX with 12,000 miles per year are .00130 and 62%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The money factor for an Si would be the same, but its residual value would be 60%.

When negotiating your deal make sure to take advantage of the $500 cash incentive that is available on this car.

Car_man
    Host
  • kjdiscusskjdiscuss Member Posts: 5
    Just to share. Yesterday I leased a 2012 Honda Civic EX-L with navi. 12K per year for 36 months. 0 down and $319 a month. Residual was 58% and money factor .00130.

Compared to Cruze LTZ with nav (lowest I got was 0 down and $338 a month).

Focus Titanium with Winter, Nav, and parking package (Lowest was $300 down and 351 a month),

Elantra ($0 down and $351 a month for 2012 and about $10 more for 2013). Hyundai charges a $400 disposition fee too. Honda has no disposition fee and $1500 of damage credit included. Very easy process. We liked the Elantra best, but the deal on the Honda was way better. Really, all 4 of these cars are really nice.

Hope this helps some people.
    You're welcome cbm26. $18,000 is a good selling price for the car that you described...the $1800 that you posted would be even better ;) .

It's great that the dealer was able to finance you at Honda Finance's "Super Preferred" credit tier. Just make sure that they are charging you the .00130 money factor.

It's difficult to say how willing other captive finance companies would be willing to work with you if you recently filed for bankruptcy. If you've already been approved at a good tier through Honda Finance, you may want to stick with them.

You generally cannot lease a vehicle form month to month, but...if you already have a lease some banks will let you extend your deal at your current payment for a while month to month.

Car_man
    Host
    BTW, sorry for the delay in my response, cbm26. I was away on vacation when you posted your message. I hope that everything worked out for you.

Car_man
    Host
    I certainly can anilkuj. Honda Finance's April buy rate lease money factor an residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 Civic Sedan LX with 15,000 miles per year are .00130 and 60%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

When negotiating your deal on this car, make sure to take advantage of the $400 dealer cash that is currently available on it. That's not a lot, but it's better than nothing.

Car_man
    Host
  • spice5spice5 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2012
    The three options are lease a civic lx, ex or keep our current 2010 civic.

Option 1: Civic LX is $185 a month 15k miles a year. Dealer buys out our current lease. Nothing else down and Honda makes our first payment.

Option 2: Civic EX is $230 a month 15K mile a year. Dealer buys out our current lease. Nothing else down and Honda makes out first payment.

Option 3: Stick with our current 2010 LX and wait for the restyled civic.

The lease prices seem good but I am not sure if I should wait or not. If we were to lease is the ex worth the extra $45 a month. Were are currently have just over a year left on our lease ($170 at 15k miles per year). Thoughts anyone. Thanks
    You will not regret the wait. Your 10 is one of the last good ones! I hope they (Honda) gets the reworked car right as there is much to fix! Good luck..Be patient
  • felixdcfelixdc Member Posts: 10
    Is this a good deal? I got quoted for a 2012 civic EX sedan for $185 per month out the door (including 1st month payment, taxes 8.25% and fees) with $1999 down 15k mi/yr 36 month lease.
    I don't know the money factor or residual but seems to be a good deal. What do you guys think?
  • protime01protime01 Member Posts: 4
    Hi! I would like to ask the lease qouted by this dealer if it is good/best deal.
    MSRP=$19,425 ( 2012 Honda Civic LX 4 door Automatic)
    Discount= $1,425
    Acquisition Lease Fee=$595
    IA Sales Tax=$304.43
    Tilte Fee= $25.00
    Documentation fee=$75
    1 year license paltes=$232

Net Capital Cost=$19231.43
    Money Factor= 0.000670
    2yr/24months lease
    12,000 miles per year
    Residual 67%='s $13014.75
    Monthly Payment= $280.63

This figured with absolutely zero money down, and do not have to make a first payment. You will only have 23 payments over the course of the lease. Is this fair enough? thank you.
  • felixdcfelixdc Member Posts: 10
    MY Monthly payment negotiated down is $178 per month (Including Tax title and license, fees and 1st month payment) $1999 (trade in) For 15k miles/year 36 months.
  • ignac007ignac007 Member Posts: 3
    Wow those are the numbers i'm looking for (about same trade in, tax & title included) but for a 2012 Si. I'm hoping to come in around 200-220/mo. What did you negotiate the price of the vehicle down to? Any cash down or just trade in?

Thanks,
    Chris
  • liphanliphan Member Posts: 2
    I just negotiated a price on a 2012 Si, but haven't signed I am trying to make sure the numbers are ok:

Car cost: $20,969
    Bank lease fee: $595
    Title/registration fee: $125
    Doc fee: $329
    Residual: 59%
    Money factor: .00077

It worked out to $276/month for 36 months. No money down. First month's payment due at signing.

Does this sound reasonable?
    Is the car cost the MSRP? If that's the MSRP, you could still negotiate to give you a lower price on that like invoice price or any rebates or discounts that could lower your net capital costs.Did you ask for discounts,rebates? You should also ask about the sales tax, acquisition lease fee ( Bank lease fee?) is this the same?. I think the documentation fee is way expensive. Kindly check. The money factor is reasonable enough 1.8%APR with approved credit.
    You ask for rebates and discount that could possibly lower your net cap costs. That was figured with absolutely zero money down, and you do not have to make your first payment. You will only have 23 payments over the course of the lease with approved credit. I leased for 24 months only. Money factor varies also they could give you .000670 to 0.00077 or lower or higher on that depending on your credit history and score.
  • holynerholyner Member Posts: 6
    I've been talking to some dealers look at the lowest lease price for a Civic LX Auto. I'm in the top tier of credit (so they said) and I've gotten down to 12k 36mo lease for $168/mo with $1500 down. This includes everything built in, first payment due in 30 days. Is this a good deal? What else should I be asking?
    I think that's fair enough.Try to ask how much is the purchase option after the lease if you have plans in the future to own it.You have a great deal.
This discussion has been closed.