Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Lease Questions

Comments

• koctailzkoctailz Member Posts: 87
    It seems like all the lease deals here are for 36 months. I am interested in a 24 month lease of a Civic, does Honda Finance only do 36 month leases or are there other options for lease duration?
  • koctailzkoctailz Member Posts: 87
    ill reply to my own question. i inquired with a local dealer regarding 24 month lease on 12 Civic LX. He offered: $225/mo and $1999 due at lease signing. A laughable deal imo.
  • berk6berk6 Member Posts: 3
    Hi. I am in the market for 2012 civic hybrid, but on a 24 month lease. do you know the current residuals and money factors? I reverse calculated the 36 month MF to be .0016 based on their current deal, but I've seen other people mention .00077. I also dont know the relationship between 36 and 24 month residuals. I would appreciate any help.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi koctailz. What you've found is not surprising. Most banks do offer 2 year leases of vehicles, however...short leases are usually much more expensive. The reason for this is that lease payments are composed of two main pieces, vehicles' depreciation and the interest that is being charged. New vehicles experience their most rapid depreciation over the first year of ownership. Longer leases are able to spread out this large depreciation hit out over a larger number of monthly payments than short leases are. If you really want to lease, you really should go with a 36-month term on this model.

i>Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hello berk6. Honda Finance's November buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24-month lease of a 2012 Civic Hybrid Sedan with 15,000 miles per year are .00030 and 62% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier. This is for a model without leather or navigation.

Car_man
    Host
  • berk6berk6 Member Posts: 3
    Wow that is incredibly useful information. Thanks.

Do you know the similar info for the prius c and prius? those are my other contenders, though i think toyota does not lease as aggressively as honda.
  • ck90211ck90211 Member Posts: 159
    Just helped a friend negotiate a '12 LX for $938 drive off (Honda Acq fee, CA license, security deposit, etc.), and $168/month (including CA tax) at DCH Honda in Gardena. While it might be even cheaper next month, with '13 redesign the Residual on '12 may take a beating (as seen on 12 and 13 Accords).
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    I just leased a 2012 Civic LX. The stereo sound system is not that great. Am I allowed under lease guidelines to put in an aftermarket stereo and speakers without effecting the lease in an adverse way?
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • robtroxelrobtroxel Member Posts: 103
    The 2012 Civic needs a lot to approach the re contenting and redesign of the newly minted 2013 Civic. We had a 2009 Civic and rated it one our best cars ever!

Now to your question, you can add updated speakers to the doors and rear deck as long as they use the existing holes and factory covers on the speakers! Look at Crutchfield.com for their fitment advice on adaptors to fit the stock spaces. You can also change out the tuner/head unit for something a lot better and they have adaptor plates that will fit your car dash. Keep your old radio to reinstall before your lease ends and that should keep you out of hot water with the leasing company! We updated the front doors speakers on our 2009 and that really made a difference! When you see the stock speakers, you will understand just how crappy the OEM content is.
    edited December 2012
    Thanks a lot robtroxel. Really didnt notice sound quality during the test drive. But the oem Civic stereo is far inferior to the monsoon sound system that was in my Buick Regal

How would you compare the 2009 and the 2012 Civic?
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • ktaylor111ktaylor111 Member Posts: 2
    Looking at leasing this car for my wife. She could care less what she gets....4 wheels a reliable engine and that's it! 12000 mileage is OK and she shouldn't exceed that.

Just last nite dealership changed their special lease deal. Here are the terms (limited info on website)......

MSRP 19595
    Net Capitalized Cost 16382
    Term 36 month
    Payment 139
    Money at signing 2000
    Residual value 11561
    Mileage 12000 plus 15 per mile over

Add also mentions owner is responsible for excessive wear and tear.

Unfortunately, due to some extenuating circumstances, I cannot bargain for better prices or terms. I also must buy from this dealer.

Questions I have.......

Confused about net capitalized cost....I thought that was essentially the sales price?

I thought all Honda leases included the first 1500 against wear and tear. Is it possible this is NOT included in this deal?

Finally......Good deal? Bad deal? Mediocre deal?

This is really invaluable...to be able to go to an independent source and bounce ideas off of an expert!!

Thanks so much for the info!!

Kevin
    You're very welcome berk6. I'm glad that I was able to help you out.

Toyota's lease program on the Prius varies depending upon which one of its twelve regions you are in. What state do you call home?

Car_man
    Host
    Thanks Kevin. I'm glad that you find this site so helpful. A vehicle's gross capitalized cost is basically its selling price. The net capitalized cost is the selling price minus any capitalized cost reduction that you choose to make (ideally this should be zero) plus any miscellaneous fees that you and the dealer decide to toss in there, like the acquisition fee, taxes, or other fees.

Honda Finance does indeed waive the first $1,500 in excess wear and tear charges on leases.

Let's take a look at this car's selling price. This car's dealer invoice price is $18,275. If we subtract the $1,000 dealer cash that is currently available on it from that it drops to $17,275. The capitalized cost that you were quoted is even lower than that, $16,382. This leads me to believe that part of the $2,000 that's due at lease signing is a capitalized cost reduction. I always advise consumers not to make down payments on leased vehicles. Those who make one risk losing part or all of the money that they put down if their vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered. Even though it means that your monthly payment will be a little higher, it's much safer to go with a zero down lease.

Shoot for a selling price that's as close to $17,275 with nothing down as possible. Then have the dealer calculate your car's payment using its buy rate lease money factor of .00054 (top tier).

Car_man
    Host
    edited December 2012
    Honda Finance does indeed waive the first $1,500 in excess wear and tear charges on leases.

My contract with Honda (2012 Civic LX) says they waive up to 3 seperate wear and tear events for up to $500 for each event... up to the maximum of $1,500 waived.

I always advise consumers not to make down payments on leased vehicles. Those who make one risk losing part or all of the money that they put down if their vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered

Honda has "Total Loss Prevention", which limits the amount you will owe if the vehicle is lost, stolen or destroyed. i.e past due payments, insurance dedeuctable , any owed taxes.

From what I've seen, the typical $1,999 down can save between $1,000 and $2,000 over the life of a 3 year lease (over the nothing down and highly monthly payment lease). So definitely worth the gamble don't you think? :confuse:
  • ktaylor111ktaylor111 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Car Man!

As mentioned before....very, very nice site with valuable indepedent info!

Kevin
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    From what I've seen, the typical $1,999 down can save between $1,000 and $2,000 over the life of a 3 year lease (over the nothing down and highly monthly payment lease). So definitely worth the gamble don't you think?

The math doesn't support this.... Using a money factor of .0015 (which is about average... maybe, a little high), putting $2000 down saves $3/mo. in finance charges.. or, $108 in total over a 36 month lease...

So...put $2000 down, pay $2108 less over the term of the lease.. Or, $108 less in total cost. That's assuming no time value to the extra money in your bank account over that time (which would reduce the calculated savings)..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

The math doesn't support this

Sure it does. Otherwise why would people put 2 grand down, instead of nothing, and only save $108 over the 3 year lease. Doesn't make sense.

Maybe manufacturerer lease specials are different. But, in every single lease deal I've looked out (Toyota, Honda, Buick, Chevy) the total out of pocket expense for a nothing down 3 year lease is much more expensive than than those requiring $2,000 down.
    Sorry... I just gave you the math.... It's true and accurate..

The total cost of a lease with a $2000 downpayment is only $108 less than without the downpayment (once you add back in your $2000 upfront payment)...

A lease isn't magic.. it's just an alternative form of financing.. It works the same way with a purchase loan..

If you borrow $30,000 for 3 years at 3.5%, your total cost (including interest) is $31,646

If you make a $2000 downpayment, and borrow $28,000, your total cost is $31,536 (including the downpayment) ... for a whopping difference of $110..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Why then would my deal at Bob Montgomery Honda be $1,160 less over the term of the lease, than the exact same car, same mileage limits, as one at Sam Swope Honda . The only difference being zero down at Sams?

Again...why put the 2 grand down if the whopping difference, over 3 years, is only $110 compared putting nothing down?
    Why then would my deal at Bob Montgomery Honda be $1,160 less over the term of the lease, than the exact same car, same mileage limits, as one at Sam Swope Honda . The only difference being zero down at Sams?

Bob Montgomery gave you a better deal? Leases aren't etched in stone.... the deal depends on the selling price of the vehicle...

Again...why put the 2 grand down if the whopping difference, over 3 years, is only $110 compared putting nothing down?

Exactly my point... why would you?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

why would you?

You wouldn't if you had the choice. Seems to me that "special" lease terms are dictated by manufacturer i.e Honda, not the dealerships.
    That's not exactly true... The bank (Honda Finance) sets the terms of the lease... money factor and residual...

The dealer determines the selling price... and, if you have decent credit, downpayments are rarely required. This is key... the selling price is negotiable, just as if you were buying the car..

Why do they advertise a lease with $2000 down? Payment buyers.. $2000 down and $139/mo. looks a lot cheaper than $0 down and $200/mo., but it's almost exactly the same.. The ads are just examples.. you can structure the lease with whatever downpayment (or none) that you desire... It won't affect the lease terms..

The dealer doesn't care if you make a downpayment... he gets the selling price from the bank, either way.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

O.k. Thanks for the info and your patience. Very helpful.

I guess I got a bit lucky on my Civic. Got a pretty good deal with not a whole lot of prior knowledge on the subject matter. :)
    My first lease deal was one of my best ones.... just happened to stumble on to a nice car that wasn't selling well, that had a killer lease program... Just knowing the value of money helps a lot... I didn't know a lot about leasing..

But, the 2nd one wasn't so great, and after that, I did a lot of research, and then... there is this Host thing that keeps me in the loop..

It would be embarrassing to make a bad lease deal now... ;)

Congrats on the new car!!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

You're very welcome Kevin. I'm glad that you like it here.

Car_man
    Host
  • the_dogthe_dog Member Posts: 2
    Hi, can you provide me with information on a 15,000 mile/year 36 or 39 month lease on both a 2013 EX and EX-L Civic?
    Congrats on the new car!!

Thanks. I really like my Civic.

Would there be any advantage if I decided on the "buyout" now instead of in 3 years? If I bought from Honda would I get a standard "used car" rate instead of the zero or .9% they are offering now on new.. or any special rates on lease turn-in buyouts?
    Hi the_dog. Honda Finance's January buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 Civic Sedan EX with 15,000 miles per year are .00155 and 61% for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Super Preferred" credit tier.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 39-month lease are .00155 and 59%.

The numbers for the EX-L Sedan are exactly the same.

Car_man
    Host
  • mugenex6mugenex6 Member Posts: 33
    Hi Car_man, I'm very new to this lease stuff and I've read through a few pages but not able to understand completely on how to calculate the monthly payment. It's a little intimidating. I'm hoping you can assist me with my purchase?

I'm looking to get a 2013 Honda Civic LX. (Looking for cheapest Civic to keep payments as low as possible).

--Let's assume I've negotiated a price of 800 below invoice on the LX. 18423 - 800 = 17623. + TTL (I hope that's a good price)
    --I live in Chicago (Cook County). I believe the tax rate is 8.25 for Cook County.
    -- I am not looking to put anything down (Zero deposit, zero down)
    -- Documentation fee = $170
    -- 12,000 Miles a year (I'm open to 15,000 ofcourse)
    -- 3 Years/36 month lease.
    -- As you mentioned above Lease rate = .00155 and residual value = 61%.

How do all these numbers come together? How do I calculate the monthly payment out of these numbers? I hope you can help. :confuse:
    Looking for cheapest Civic to keep payments as low as possible).

You'd save a couple grand by going with a new 2012.
  • mugenex6mugenex6 Member Posts: 33
    I agree, but I like the new look so much more, and rear view camera standard on 2013 LX, and dont like any of the 2012 colors left in stock.
  • robtroxelrobtroxel Member Posts: 103
    There are very compelling reasons why Honda went back to the drawing board on the 2012 Civic so soon! You are right to go for the 2013 as the 2012 effort fell far short of the competition. We skipped over the 2012 Civic for an Acura ILX with no regrets. In the end, saving a couple of grand means not much when you are driving a cheaply implemented noisy 2012.
  • awal1awal1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I'm extremely new to buying/leasing any car at all. I will be going with my mom to cosign on a Honda Civic this weekend as my first car just cost too much in maintenance to warrant keeping. I was looking into leasing a Honda Civic LX sedan for 15,000 miles 36 months. I don't want to put anything down and want to include tax/title fees into the loan. My mom has top tier credit so I'm assuming I will have a lower rate. Does anyone have a ballpark estimate on what I should be paying for this or do I need to provide more information?
  • dhollydholly Member Posts: 16
    Hello all,

Searched but came up empty handed on this question. I'm looking at low mile leases for a top tier senior citizen in upstate NY. Can I get the MF and residual please for a 2013 civic lx auto, 36 and/or 39 mo., 10k and/or 12k mi./yr

Thanks ever so much!
    Hi mugenex6. I'd be happy to work up a payment on this car for you. In order to do so I need both its selling price and MSRP. I will use the $17,623 that you me mentioned as the selling price and the $18,955 that is listed here at Edmunds.com as the MSRP.

According to my calculations, if you were to lease this car through Honda Finance right now for 36-months with 12,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment would be around $204.

Sales tax will add a decent amount to that in Illinois though. That is notoriously one of the worst states to lease in, tax-wise. You might be looking at another $40 per month in sales tax in your area. Ouch.

You can plug these numbers into the formula that is outlined in the following article to work up a payment on your own: Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi awal1. You're probably looking in the range of $220 or so per month before tax for a 36-month, 15,000 mile per year lease of this car. The exact payment will depend upon the selling price that you are able to negotiate.

Car_man
    Host
    Here's the information that you're looking for, dholly.

Honda Finance's January buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 Civic Sedan LX auto with 12,000 miles per year are .00155 and 63% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 39-month lease are .00155 and 61%.

Car_man
    Host
  • nitetalkernitetalker Member Posts: 5
    I had an interesting experience at Roberts Honda in Downingtown, PA tonight shopping for a 2012 Honda Civic LX Sedan Automatic.

I was really only interested in leasing, but regrettably I failed to follow the often recommended strategy of negotiating the purchase price before mentioning leasing.

To make a long story short. the best I could do was

Buy
    Purchase Price $16,883
    6% PA sales tax $1,013
    Title, tag $214
    OTD $18,110
    Down payment $0
    Finance Honda special offer 60 pmts @ 0.9% = $308.91/mo.

Lease Honda special offer 0 down
    money rate 0.00004
    residual 58% of MSRP of $19,595 = $11,365.10
    Initial Cap Cost $17,565
    Acquisition fee $595
    Net Cap Cost $18,160
    35 payments @ $189.93 + 9% PA lease tax of $17.09 = $207.02/mo.

I walked away because of the $682 discrepancy between the Initial Cap Cost for leasing of $17,565 and the negotiated price for purchase of $16,883, plus I felt as though I was being bullied. The lease offer as advertised by Honda quotes a net cap cost, including the $595 acquisition fee, of $18,521.96, but notes that "Dealer contribution may vary and could affect actual lease payment." Here it seems that the dealer's offered net cap cost of $18,160 equates to a concession of $361 lower than the Honda lease program as advertised.

Am I unreasonable to think they can do better on the lease?
  • nitetalkernitetalker Member Posts: 5
    I've decided to take the lease offer of Piazza Honda in Limerick, PA:

money factor 0.00004
    residual value 58% of MSRP of $19,595 = $11,365.10
    Initial Cap Cost $17,300.50
    Acquisition fee $595
    35 payments @ $182.57 + 9% PA lease tax of $16.43 = $199.00/mo.
    $0 due at signing

I'm still wondering, though, why for this car it seems I could get a better price if I were to buy and take out a loan at 0.9%. Could it be because this is a particularly attractive lease? I've only leased once before, way back in the mid-'90s, and I don't recall the particulars ...
  • dhollydholly Member Posts: 16
    Thank you good sir! While we do wish a 10k mi. lease option was available, this may work for us.
  • fdg2390fdg2390 Member Posts: 1
    This is my first lease and was told Honda Civic would be an ideal model aswell as economical. I have no certain preference on the specific model of the lease.

I will be leasing in South Florida and aiming for a 36 month lease with optimally near zero down.

Where should I begin? Or what are ideal prices for this month, preferably in South Florida.
  • doogan3doogan3 Member Posts: 31
    Hello,

I am also trying to lease a civic and have a couple of questions. I hope someone can help.

when speaking to dealer today, in ref to 2013 lx sedan base model, i was quoted a MF of 0.001450 & 63% residual. (This was for Jan - apparently it will change over next couple of days for Feb.) I notice this is marginally better than what was listed here. Given that this is suppose to be std across the country - any idea why it was better. Do dealers actually have leverage on this?

How do you calculate the difference from 12000 Vs 15000 miles. All I can get from any dealer ( no matter whether its toyota, honda, etc) is just add another $20-30. What is the formula to calculate this. The basic formula I use to calculate a lease is from this page http://www.edmunds.com/car-leasing/calculate-your-own-lease-payment.html. I cannot from the life of me find out what variable to change for when its a 15000 Mile lease.

Appreciate the help. good luck to all in their quest for a deal!
    You're very welcome dholly.

Car_man
    Host
    Greetings fdg2390. Since you are new to leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles on the subject that are available here at Edmunds.com: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

In short, the easiest way to get a good deal on a leased vehicle is to shop around for the lowest possible selling price and then have the dealer that you decide to go with calculate your vehicle's monthly payment using its buy rate lease money factor.

Someone definitely steered you in the right direction, the Civic is traditionally a solid, affordable vehicle. While the 2013 Civic is better than the less than well received 2012 model was, it is more expensive to lease right now as well.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi doogan3. Honda carried its January lease program over through the end of February, so unless it makes an unscheduled change the numbers should be the same. The money factor that you were quoted is likely for a zero due at lease signing deal. The factors for that sort of lease through Honda are typically .00010 lower than they are for a normal lease.

The residual value percentage for a lease with 12,000 miles per year is 2% higher than the residual value for a lease with 15,000 miles per year.

Car_man
    Host
  • roadcrazyroadcrazy Member Posts: 31
    edited February 2013
    Car_man, can you please provide me with information on a 12,000 mile/year 36 month lease on a 2013 Civic Si Sedan? If it makes a difference Detroit, MI area. Thanks.
    I figured I should post the deal i got today @ Brewster Honda, in NY. I found them straight to the point, realistic and willing to negotiate & get my business. Thanks to Car Man who answered questions here and on other model forums while i decided what to do. I left the specifics in the office but in a nutshell this is what I recall:

15K miles
    36 Months
    MF was ~ around .000137 (Approx .33%)
    County Tax 7.375
    Put down First Month and DMV + $200

The rest if the # are in my office and I can post tomorrow if any one is interested. Started at $219 with just First Month & DMV. Ended up paying $200/month on the nose with an addl $200 down

Hope this helps others out there in NY. I went to 5 other Honda dealers in the area and none of them were even close to meeting the starting numbers @ Brewster Honda. I think the closest one was $239 with taxes/title/bank (~$1600) down. As I said - the starting Numbers from these guys told me they wanted to do business.

Thanks
  • nklemannnklemann Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the information, what trim level is that for? Do you have the MSRP?
  • trbl39trbl39 Member Posts: 2
    Wow either Florida is really different or I am getting the biggest run around ever. I have been getting lease rates in the $279 area for 36 months/12,000 with zero at signing. I have top tier credit and have been leasing 2 cars every 3 years thru honda financial for over 10years in PA. I just moved to FL with my PA lease ending in a month. Lowest price I got was 18,423. Has anyone gotten a Honda Civic LX in southwest FL recently?

Also as this is the last week for the current deals, CarMan do you think it is better to wait for the March deals?
    I will get all the details today - I left them in my office last night.

Honestly, I spent the last 3 days going from dealer to dealer, between hyundai , Toyota & Honda. In the end, I knew that @ $200 / month with with little to nothing down was where i needed to be. So Once They were willing to meet my numbers, I did not really focus on the specifics.
This discussion has been closed.