Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Lease Questions

Comments

• patman36patman36 Member Posts: 12
    Just got a quote for an '08 Civic EX-L w/ Nav @ a base MF of 0.00191 and 60% residual for 36 months and 12k miles per year plus the $595 acquisition fee.

Isn't the 0.00191 marked up from 0.0019?
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    If you don't qualify for a no security deposit lease (previous AHFC lease customer, strong car leasing history, etc) then you can either pay a security deposit (normally 1 payment rounded up to the nearest $25 or $50 amount) OR they will bump up the money factory by 0.0001 (0.24%) and they will waive the security deposit. Most folks opt for the 0.0001 bump.

FYI, since someone was asking about a 15k mile per year lease - with AHFC going from 12k to 15k per year normally drops the residual by 2%. So on this car it would be 58% if you needed the extra miles.

Dennis
  • emmapantsemmapants Member Posts: 4
    I just got a quote for a Civic 4-door Sedan LX lease. The terms are 24months, $1000 down, 15,000 miles/year for $199/month. Any insight into whether this is a good deal?
  • gforce11gforce11 Member Posts: 225
    If you are looking at the numbers on the lease calculator i provided, the .0019 MF does not reflect that of the Civic. That's actually just filler numbers from a different lease. You need to enter your own numbers.

On another note...for those interested in the Civic Si...June Rates
    Any insight into whether this is a good deal

The #1 most important thing when leasing a car is the SAME as if you were buying the car - the price. Negotiate a low price just like you were buying and once you have a nice price THEN worry about the lease numbers.

Dennis
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hello aaraji . Here's the info that you're looking for. Honda Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Honda Civic LX or EX Sedan with 15,000 miles per year are .00190 and 60%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its "Super Preferred" credit tier and pay a security deposit at lease signing. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '08 Civic LX or EX Coupe are .00165 and 58%. If you were to lease with only 12,000 miles per year, these cars' residual values would be 2% higher.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • luvaudi19luvaudi19 Member Posts: 34
    Car_Man:

I'm looking at these Civic leases on this forum and they seem very attractive. However, I'm actually interested in the Si model. Are there specials on the Si models or just the EX/LX models.
    Hi luvaudi19. Yes, the special lease money factors that Honda is providing on the Civic EX and LX are available on the Si as well.

Car_man
    Host
  • luvaudi19luvaudi19 Member Posts: 34
    Thanks very much. Appreciate the help. I currently have an Acura RL that Honda Financial is offering a "pull-ahead" program on so I think I will take advantage of it. If it's not too much to ask, what is the residual for a Civic SI at the 24 mo and 36 mo terms at 15K and 12K. I'm thinking about the Sedan without navigation

-Jerry
  • hpoohhhpoohh Member Posts: 35
    Si lease rate should be the same as regular Civic

coupe, 12k/36mo 0.00166 60%
    sedan, 12k/36mo 0.00191 62%
    add a security deposit will bring the MF down by 0.00001
    deduct 2% for 15k/yr

also for 24mo, i think the MF are the same while residual is 10% higher (please double confirm w/ dealers)

not sure if they will extend this program after July 7th 08 tho
  • bobshort1bobshort1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello. Would appreciate any assistance as I am always learning.

I have 3 more months to go on a 2005 PT Cruiser convertible. Real good condition but sas a dent in the left corner of the rear bumper.

I want to lease a 2008 Civic LX. I know on the web Honda has a $199 per month for 36 months. I know there is all the stuff they want down, etc.

"$199.00 per month for 36 months with a $1,205.00 capitalized cost reduction available to customers who qualify for the AHFC Super Preferred credit tier. Other rates/tiers are available under this offer. $1,999.00 total due at lease signing (includes first month's payment, AHFC upfront acquisition fee and capitalized cost reduction; with no security deposit. Total net capitalized cost and base monthly payment does not include tax, license, title, registration, documentation fees, options, insurance and the like). Not all buyers may qualify.

Subject to limited availability. 5/1/2008 through 7/7/2008, to approved lessees by American Honda Finance Corp. Closed end lease for 2008 Civic Coupe LX Automatic Transmission vehicles (Model FG1268EW), for well qualified lessees. Not all lessees will qualify. Higher lease rates apply for lessees with lower credit ratings. MSRP $18,230.00(includes destination) less the capitalized cost reduction resulting in actual net capitalized cost $16,473.58. Dealer contribution may vary and could affect actual lease payment. Taxes, license, title fees, options and insurance extra. Total monthly payments $7,164.00. Option to purchase at lease end $10,938.00. Lessee responsible for maintenance, excessive wear/tear and 15 cents/mi. over 12,000 miles/year for vehicles with MSRP less than $30,000, but for vehicles with MSRP of $30,000 or more, mileage cost is 20 cents/mi. over 12,000 miles/year. See dealer for complete details."

Never have known how to read this. Was curious what a fair payment may be. I know it will be over $199 due to TTL, and stuff, but was curious what a fair price would be. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  • hpoohhhpoohh Member Posts: 35
    i've help several clients to get the Civic and the payment do increased quite a lot recently due to limited inventory

The payment for a 4dr LX auto used to be about $1200 drive off, $200+tax a month

the last one i did was $1200 drive off, $220+tax a month

But i checked yesterday, payment quote i got was $1200 drive off, $235+tax

The Honda's program is $1200 down, $595 bank fee, $199+tax 1st payment, license and dealer fee, expect about $2000 and payment is $199+tax

All the above examples were assuming 12k/yr 36mo and used 7.75% tax rate

i am in S. California, if you could let me know where you are, i might be able to give you a better estimation.
  • bobshort1bobshort1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your help. I am near Dallas, Tx. Want to roll everything in, so that I only pay the first car payment to drive off.

The Honda web site said the lease would be $199 per month for 36 months, but asked for $1,999 down, TTL not included.

I know I will get hit with the dent in the left corner bumper (pretty deep divet in the plastic). We owe 3 more payments of $398 on the PT Cruiser convertible.

Don't know how much more you pay per $1,000, so I would guess since it is $1,999, that would be however much more per $1,000 x 2 ($1,999 is basically $2,000), then the damage to my wife's car, plus I am sure they will factor the 3 payments left and then the wear and tear on the car. In very good shape other than the dent. Under mileage. We had up to 48,000 miles and she only put 41,000 miles on.

I wish I understood financing more. I could probably save myself a lot of money hahahaha
  • junkneededjunkneeded Member Posts: 2
    Hi Car-man. I placed a companion post to this one on the forum link for Accord leases (just in case you read this one first). Please let me know Honda Finance's current (July 2008) buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4-cylinder automatic without navigation for both 12,000 and 15,000 miles per year. Thanks again for all your help.
    Hey junkneeded. Honda Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Honda Civic Sedan EX without leather or navigation with 15,000 miles per year are .00270 and 59%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its "Super Preferred" credit tier and pay a security deposit at lease signing. The residual value for a lease with only 12,000 miles per year is 2% higher.

Car_man
    Host
  • sparklandsparkland Member Posts: 120
    "I strongly suspect that consumer auto leases (at least those sponsored by the auto manufacturers) will be history by the end of the year.

Chrysler has already announced that they will exit the lease business on August 1st. Cerberus Capital not only owns Chrysler and Chrysler Financial but controlling interest in GMAC as well. So I suspect GM will follow shortly.

Ford took a $2.1 billion charge for the quarter due to falling lease residual values.

Honda just released their first quarter financial report and noted that they expect falling lease residual values in the USA to cut their operating profit by $231 million. Just look at the residual calculations on 2006 Ridgeline's as an example of how wildly they miscalculated.

I believe the manufacturer sponsored consumer lease will soon be history. Only time will tell."

Taken from ROC site.

Interesting reading. :shades:
    The may have lost out on trucks and SUVs but made it back on efficient cars bringing more than expect at lease end :D .

Seriously, real world value has never had any meaning for a captive lease. Just like the prime rate has no bearing on the lease MF from a captive bank. They come up residuals and rates to move product and not based on anything real world. They have been doing this for years. Yes, the $4 gas and the bottom dropping out of the truck and SUV market has hurt them a lot. But they always lose out at lease end when you turn the car in every captive deal I have ever done. Trade / auction value is never more then buy out even on a primo value car like an Accord.

I think they may try to get more real world in the residuals and may have to quit with the stupid low rates, but again they have been doing that stuff for years.

Our 08 Pilot is leased at 0.31% effective interest and the residual was based on full MSRP (not counting the package discount) and we got dealer incentive money to make it even sweeter. The "interest" on our 3 year lease is less than $200. So even if the Pilot holds value (and it will not) they are losing out loaning us the money for nothing.

It will be interesting to see what happens. 3rd party leasing has been taking it on the chin due to the bloated residuals and cut rate MFs on captive leases. Maybe the pendulum will swing the other way now? I would say it will probably be harder to get a super lease deal in the future though, which is sad.

I have heard of folks being able to negotiate their lease buy out prices once again. This used to be a bonus you could get with leasing - buy the car at lease end for under residual to save even more. Then the banks started carrying residual insurance and that went away. I guess the insurance has a limit? If you have a guzzler coming off lease the bank does not want you to turn that baby in - no way.

Dennis
  • bcwestbcwest Member Posts: 4
    Can someone please post the current lease rates for this car. Thanks.
  • bcwestbcwest Member Posts: 4
    ...the rates I'm looking for in regards to my original post are for the specs below:
    2yr/15k 2008 Civic DX auto sedan
    3yr/15k 2008 Civic DX auto sedan
  • dodgehappydodgehappy Member Posts: 118
    Helping my sister shop for a new Civic Coupe or Accord Coupe . What are the rates/residuals for an 08 Civic coupe EX-L @12K per year? Also, if we bump up to 15K per year, how much difference will that make?
    Here's the info that you're looking for, bcwest. Honda Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Honda Civic Sedan DX with 15,000 miles per year are .00270 and 50%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its "Super Preferred" credit tier and pay a security deposit at lease signing. You definitely do not want to lease this car for only 24 months. Its 24 mo. factor is much higher (.00370).

Car_man
    Host
    Hi dodgehappy. Honda Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Honda Civic Coupe EX-L without navigation with 15,000 miles per year are .00270 and 57%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its "Super Preferred" credit tier and pay a security deposit at lease signing. The residual value for a lease with only 12,000 miles per year is 2% higher.

Car_man
    Host
  • likuidlikuid Member Posts: 1
    Hey I could use some help,
    I'm trying to lease a new 08 civic:

I wish to get a Honda Civic Coupe Ex Manual, They quoted me at msrp at $19435 $2000 down and monthly payments at $313. Is this a good deal? I felt that was overpriced so I walked away. Btw I'm in northern california. My credit score is in the high 750+ I wanted them to lower the price but they told me price was not negotiable since their inventory is running low. Is this true on civics?
  • dodgehappydodgehappy Member Posts: 118
    Just as a reference point, my sister was looking at a 08 Civic 2 dr EXL and the dealer quoted her $352 per month (incld 6.75% tax) and 0.00 out of pocket. This was based on high credit tier and a 3rd party lender. He said Honda Finance credit would come out to $374 with tax and 0.00 out of pocket. Both of these were on 15k miles per year and an Ohio lease
    Hi likuid. You never mentioned what the selling price of this car is. This is a very important number to know. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. Without the selling price, it is difficult to tell how good a deal this is.

Also, you mentioned that you were asked for a $2,000 down payment on this deal. I always advise consumers not to make large down payments when leasing. Those who make them risk losing part or all of them if their vehicle is totaled. At lease signing, you should only pay your car's first month's payment, Honda Finance's $595 acquisition fee, and a security deposit equivalent to your car's monthly payment rounded up to the nearest $25 increment. You can even have your security deposit waived in exchange for a .00010 money factor increase and roll the acquisition fee into your car's cap cost if you want.

Car_man
    Host
  • poorprofpoorprof Member Posts: 124
    I found the July rates (MF and RV) for a Civic Si here, but are the September rates available? Thank you
    by the way, that is the Si without Nav, for 36 months or whatevcer the sweet spot is
    Hi poorprof. Honda Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Honda Civic Si without navigation with 15,000 miles per year are .00270 and 62%, respectively. The money factor for an otherwise identical lease with 12,000 miles per year would be the same, but the residual value would be 2% higher.

Car_man
    Host
    Thank you very much
  • dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    Thanks Car_man, when you get a chance, could you please give me that current info again?

Edited: 36/12K on an LX/EX Sedan, auto, no leather or navi ;)
  • index29index29 Member Posts: 1
    hi, i live in NY and am in the process of LEASING a 08 honda civic sedan...would like to know if am getting a fair deal. i researched on the net and saw the invoice for like 19510 (without a spolier)..i negotiated 19600 this is with a wing spoiler (500 extra).everytime i put the figures in the lease calculator the numbers are not matching up...
    he's giving me the car at 1187 down (thats first month,dmv,bank fee)...monthly paymnets are $324/12000 miles/36mths...2yrs free oil change and the honda care package (24hr roadside assistance and whatever comes with that). and some $1500 waiver i get if the has any damages up to 1500..he also spread the taxes in the payments.....he said they money factor is like .0038(9.12%)
    playing around on the LEASE CALCULATOR...the residual value comes up to be like 13500 or something like that. anyways i would like to know if am geting a good deal before i sign up the paper work?????

how would anyone credit affect this deal if your credit is not so great????thanks for your time.
  • oldboboldbob Member Posts: 41
    Maybe your credit score is not very good. At the end of May I leased a 2009 EX 5sp manual trans for 252/mo with no down payment, 1200 mi 36 mo, tax included. Bank fee and first payment made $600 at signing. My FICO is 800 and there was special lease rate at the time. Residual is $12000 and lease was based on sales price of 17700.
  • jmcbmwjmcbmw Member Posts: 85
    Car_man, will you please post the specifics of Honda's newly offered "featured lease" in their "current offers" section on 2009 Civic's. The ad is for 09 LX models at $199/month for 36 months, 12K with $2799 due at signing. I am interested in an sedan EX-L Navi, Auto for 36months and 12 or 15K miles per year and do not want to make a cap cost reduction of $2005 as specified in this offer. I would like to know the base Money factor and residuals from Honda so I can configure what works best for me. I will qualify for best rates. Thanks!
  • civhybrid07civhybrid07 Member Posts: 9
    Car_Man, as I see that Honda just introduced a new September lease program,

Can you provide the following info on a 2009 Civic Hybrid w/o Nav:

Lease in New Jersey
    36 Months
    15k miles year
    What is the residual?
    What is the MF?
    What is the invoice (not listed on edmunds as of this posting)?
    Confirm that security deposit not required?

Thank you.
    You're very welcome, poorprof. Good luck in your negotiations.

Car_man
    Host
    No problem dad23. Here you go. Honda Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Honda Civic LX Sedan with 12,000 miles per year are .00270 and 62%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its "Super Preferred" credit tier and pay a security deposit at lease signing.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a base '08 Civic EX Sedan are .00270 and 63%.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey jmcbmw. Here's the info that you're looking for. Honda Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Honda Civic EX-L Sedan with navigation and 15,000 miles per year are .00270 and 60%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its "Super Preferred" credit tier and pay a security deposit at lease signing. The residual value for a lease with only 12,000 miles per year is 2% higher.

Car_man
    Host
    Yes, civhybrid07, I have seen Honda's September lease program. Honda Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Honda Civic Hybrid without leather or navigation with 15,000 miles per year are .00270 and 61%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its "Super Preferred" credit tier and pay a security deposit at lease signing.

Honda Finance charges a security deposit, equivalent to vehicles' monthly payments rounded up to the nearest $25 increment, on every vehicle that it leases. It will waive its security deposit requirement in exchange for an increase of .00010 in the money factor that is used to calculate your monthly payment.

The dealer invoice price of this model is now available here at Edmunds. Here's a link to the page:

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2009/honda/civic/101061157/prices.html

Car_man
    Host
  • jmcbmwjmcbmw Member Posts: 85
    Car_man, Thank you for getting back with the info. Now it looks like I will have to wait until October to lease as I'm going out of town. I will check back to see if the rates change then post my deal when I find a car. I'm hoping it will maybe even get a little better or at least prices paid will.
  • usairusair Member Posts: 23
    I can get a 09 Civic LX sedan for $225.00 PM. 0 down. sign and drive.. 42 months.

Is this a good deal
  • gmosesgmoses Member Posts: 3
    So my girlfriend needs a car and we decided to go with the honda civic lx (either sedan or coupe). We live in NJ. I have tried to research prices and terms and all that but at the end i think it makes more sense to talk bottom line dollars. First question should i worry about residual and money factor etc.. if the monthly price and initial payment is a good one. I believe they claim the car is 18700 invoice 17500 or so.

Honda civic sedan lx 36 months for 12k a year. The dealer asked me what i was willing to pay i went lower than any other quote i received and he came back and basically agreed. Price 1000 initial payment 239 included all fees taxes. I now feel like maybe i didn't go low enough. Is that a good deal?
    I also cant get a straight answer on how much more a month i should expect to pay for 15000 miles a year instead of 12k. any thoughts?
    I was offered from another dealer 1500 initial payment 227+taxes for 36 months 12k on the Lx coupe... is that a good price.
    I feel like i can negotiate further but can any one share their thoughts on a good deal and possibly a price i should shoot for...it would be much appreciated.
    Thank you
    No problem. Talk to you then. Enjoy your trip.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi usair. the best way to evaluate how good a deal a lease is is to look at the selling price that you are being charged for the car that you want. The closer your car's selling price is to dealer invoice, the better. You can stop by the "Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience" discussion to see how much other community members have paid for similar cars lately.

Once you have arrived at a selling price that you are happy with, have the dealer that is quoting it calculate your lease payment using Honda Finance's buy rate lease money factor. Its current buy rate for "Super Preferred" tier customers who lease an '09 Civic for 42 months is .00255.

Car_man
    Host
    go with 0 down and 12k miles. best I got was for a LX-S was $235.00 for 42 months. I am still looking.for better deal, my goal is to be close to $199.00 zero down.
    ok, the selling price determines the payment, but I suppose the residual is always based on the MSRP. So lower the payment the higher the residuals, which means you pay more to buy the lease buyout. it always a catch 22 situation.
    Hi gmoses. Are you saying that the dealer that you are talking about quoted you a selling price of $18,700 on a Civic that has a dealer invoice price of $17,500? If so, that's equivalent to around $1,200 over dealer invoice. The Civic is very popular right now, but that's still enough room that it wouldn't hurt to shop around with a few other dealers to see if you can beat this price. Also, make sure to stop by the "Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience" discussion to see how much other community members have paid for similar cars lately.

Once you have a selling price that you are comfortable with, have the dealer calculate its monthly payment using Honda Finance's buy rate lease money factor, which is currently .00270 for "Super Preferred" tier customers who pay a security deposit at lease signing.

This is the best way to assure that you are getting the best possible deal on the Civic that you want.

Car_man
    Host
  • gmosesgmoses Member Posts: 3
    I think i did not explain that well. Initially he spoke of those prices on the car. But I didnt bother haggling over the price of the car thinking that if the monthly numbers worked out that would be the most important. That being said is there a way to look at the monthly payments and giving me an idea if that is a good quote or am i paying to much... If not i will try and get a better idea of the msrp etc... thanks for the help and quick response.
  • djhalptertdjhalptert Member Posts: 115
    ok, the selling price determines the payment, but I suppose the residual is always based on the MSRP. So lower the payment the higher the residuals, which means you pay more to buy the lease buyout. it always a catch 22 situation.

I don't think you quite get it. It's not a catch 22 at all. You want higher residuals yes. But you DO want lower than sticker price. And a lower payment doesn't always mean you got good residual or sale price. It could've been a low money factor. Here's the breakdown...

Residual is based on MSRP, yes. So, a $20,000 MSRP vehicle, FOR EXAMPLE, with a 50% residual would have a "buyout" of $10,000 at lease end. However, you want the negotiated sale price to be LESS than MSRP. The reason being is that the negotiated sale price plus any fees (aka NET CAP COST) is subtracted from the residual to form the BASE MONTHLY PAYMENT.

EXAMPLE: If you negotiated a sale price of $17,000 including all fees on the $20,000 MSRP you would subtract the $10,000 residual value from the $17,000 (NET CAP COST) = $7,000. Divide by term 24, 36, or in your case 42. = your base monthly payment would be $166.67 IF YOU WOULDN'T HAVE NEGOTIATED A SALE PRICE OF $17,000 YOUR BASE MONTHLY PAYMENT WOULD HAVE BEEN $238.10 at the $20,000 sticker price.

The next part of your payment is the so called RENT CHARGE. To calculate this you add the NET CAP COST plus the RESIDUAL then multiply by the money factor. $17,000 net cap plus $10,000 residual = $27,000 X .00270 = $72.90. The money factor .00270 (6.48%) Is the current Civic MF for "SuperPreferred" tier 1 credit. I PERSONALLY THINK IT IS RIDICULOUSLY HIGH AND WOULD NEVER EVEN THINK OF LEASING A CAR ABOVE 4% LEASE RATE. A MONEY FACTOR OF 0.00125 (3%) WOULD = $33.75 PER MONTH. A BIG DIFFERENCE. OF NEARLY $40 PER MONTH. Anyways..

Add the two together $166.67 plus $72.90 = YOUR PRE SALES TAX MONTHLY PAYMENT OF $239.57

Again, the NET CAP COST will include any and all fees so watch that number. You may negotiate a selling price $3K off sticker price then have a shady dealer add in $2,000 in bogus fees. I personally will only pay the acquistion fee. If they try to add in anything else I walk. Your state may require you to pay your sales tax up front but most just add it to your total monthly payment.
  • djhalptertdjhalptert Member Posts: 115
    FYI, don't put any money down except your first monthly payment. If you make a right turn out of the dealership after putting down $1,000 and you are broadsided by a garbage truck, you will not be reimbursed for your down payment. Likewise if your car is stolen, you get nothing.

To answer your question yes, you should definitely worry about residual and money factor. Most dealers are upfront and honest about them but it's best to get multiple quotes. You can call and ask to talk to a salesman or even email and he will give you the numbers 99% of the time, no questions asked. READ MY LAST POST ABOUT HOW TO CALCULATE A LEASE PAYMENT TO FULLY APPRECIATE HOW IMPORTANT THESE NUMBERS ARE.

Get several quotes, in writing if necessary. Make sure they aren't adding in $1,000 worth of BS fees like window etching, paint sealant etc. They may give you the lowest sale price on the vehicle then add a couple of grand in bull crap fees to get their money back.

Also, normally the only difference between a 12,000 mile per year lease and a 15,000 mile per year lease is the residual will be lower on the higher mileage lease. FOR EXAMPLE: If you are getting 50% on the 12K the 15K will be 48% or so.
  • t_ct_c Member Posts: 13
    why is honda's money factor so high? its about 6.5% when everyone else is like 2% lower.
This discussion has been closed.