Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Lease Questions

Comments

• ken117ken117 Member Posts: 249
    Typically that means you will lease a certain model at that monthly lease payment. However, in the small print it will likely show at lease inception you would pay the first months payment, plus tax, registration and other fees, such as the acquisition fee which can be hundreds and the dealer doc profit fee. Likely the cash payout will be more than $2,000.

Such ads are designed to get you to visit a dealer. The should be viewed with suspicion.

The lease cash is a cash amount paid by the OEM to reduce the amount of capitalized cost, which is the base cost of the lease without the fees and interest.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    edited May 2013
    In my area (Twin Cities) some dealers offer "true zero" (or other such name) leasing, which means NOTHING up front, not even the first payment. So they roll that first payment, taxes (in MN you have to pay taxes up front, cannot be included in the monthly payments), license, fees into the costs of the lease and literally all you pay is the monthly payments starting with the 2nd one. I like that approach as it's very simple, and I got one of those deals last November on a 2013 GLS with Preferred Pkg. My monthly payments are only $47 because I traded in a 2007 Sonata GLS. But I've seen these kinds of deals advertised recently for as low as $225/month. YMMV of course. But IMO your dealer's offer of $255 + tax on a GLS with nothing up front is not a very good deal, given Hyundai is trying to move Sonatas.

Update: just saw a local offer for $229 on the GLS, 36 months, only first payment up front (taxes and fees included). Also saw an ad for $199/month for 39 months with 0 up front for a 2013 Altima 2.5S, and $220/month with 0 up front for 36 months on a Passat S automatic with Appearance Pkg. So there are deals to be had out there on little-to-nothing up front leases.
  • artiyomartiyom Member Posts: 4
    So you mean I will have to pay that ~2000 even when it says "0 due at signing"? That's what it says in the description of that lease here on Edmunds!
  • steebsteeb Member Posts: 4
    I just leased a 2013 Sonata SE $278/mo for 36months. 12k miles. 24,111 was the agreed price. I got out of my GLS 7 months early. 0 down, signed and drive.
  • artiyomartiyom Member Posts: 4
    So you paid nothing but registratin fees? "got out of my GLS 7 months early" I didn't get this, you are saying you've traded in your old car?
  • steebsteeb Member Posts: 4
    My lease is up in January. I didn't pay anything today. According to the paperwork its $134 taxes, title $185, dealer fee of $673

I signed paperwork, and they gave me keys. I am guessing they worked that fee into the monthly payments.

cost: 24,111
    payments 13,394
    35 payments of 10,432
    $278/mo
  • anthony212anthony212 Member Posts: 15
    Ok guys here's what happened, my father went to go Millennium Hyundai in NY to lease a car. My father told me he wouldn't give out the exact breakdown, but he gave him a printed piece of paper from the dealership with all the pricing. Should he go for this deal or is there more room?

2013 Sonata 4D Sedan GLS Auto
    Original MSRP $23140
    Dealer Cost $22394
    Selling Price $18396.69
    Residual Value 59% $13652.60
    Mileage Adj +2% $462.80
    Adjusted Resideual Value $14115.40
    Rates .000950
    Rebate $1500
    Trade in $2300
    36 Months @ $149.00

The thing that I didn't like is that he wanted to take the trade-in $2300 + another $1300 for taxes
  • upsidedown2011upsidedown2011 Member Posts: 1
    CarMan, I need a little help very upside down in my 2011 sonata se turbo 101,000 miles. Buyout is $16,000.00
    According to dealer they are giving me $10,ooo so I'm - $6,ooo

On a 2013 sonata base auto transmission
    Looking at $425 a month 48 month lease with a total of $1,500 out of pocket
    Seems like a horrible deal am I correct ?
    Thanks
  • donm2303donm2303 Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone know the residual value and money factor for a 2014 Sonata GLS 36month lease with 10k miles/ year?

Thanks!
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi upsidedown2011. That's a lot of negative equity to bury. Is your current Sonata giving you any trouble? You would probably be better off waiting until you are less upside down to get something new.

I would be happy to evaluate the deal that you were quoted on the new Sonata, but it would be easier for me to do so if we separate the deals. What are the MSRP and selling price that you are being charged?

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • straightdopestraightdope Member Posts: 62
    CARMAN!

A couple of dealers here in SoCal told me that Hyundai doesn't offer a 10k mile/yr lease on a Sonata; 12k is the lowest. Is this accurate? They've got to be one of the only manufacturers who don't do ultra low mileage leases if this the case.

Please advise.

Thank you.
    I was told the same thing by 2 different Hyundai dealers in my area. I think it may be a general HMAC leasing rule, not just for Sonatas.
  • linhsilinhsi Member Posts: 2
    Our current lease ends in sept and its a 2010 Sonata GLS with 26k miles (very low mileage). Our dealer contacted us, and said we can end the lease early, and help us with a new purchase/lease of another vehicle. They offered first payment free 1st THREE months, monthly would be $199+ sales tax. No down, No security Deposit. I kept asking if there are other fees, and they kept saying NO. Not sure if they're playing games, but I thought there is acquisition fee, title fee, or other fee's that make up. But the guy insisted there are no other fees. Assuming that's true, is that a good deal ?
  • linhsilinhsi Member Posts: 2
    Our first time returning our lease vehicle (sonata gls). What do you they inspect ? What kind of excuses will they make to make you pay as "excessive wear and tear"? The interior of the car is so clean, there are no dents, maybe just some bird poop. However, there is a minor ding on the front window from a rock, that's hardly noticeable. Thinking about covering it up, so it looks like white bird poop.
    edited June 2013
    Hyundai should send you information near lease end about wear and tear policies. If they don't, call Customer Service and ask for it.

Also ask them, if you get a lease on a new vehicle, if they will give you special consideration on wear and tear on the old car. Nissan offered me $500 towards any wear and tear charges on my 2010 Sentra if I were to lease a new car. Also offered to cover up to 4 payments, and gave me a real nice deal on a 2013 Sentra. I didn't take them up on it because I don't like the 2013 Sentra and no other Nissans interested me.

You could take the car in early to the dealer and see what they say about the windshield. If they'll charge you for it, and your insurance has 0 deductible glass coverage, you may want to fix the windshield before turning the car in.
    What vehicle is Hyundai offering for $199/month + tax? If it's a 2013 Sonata GLS, that's a pretty good deal but not exceptional. If they are in fact going to make your first 3 payments for you, so you only have to make 33 payments, that is a very good deal.

Check the lease, I'll bet there's a disposition fee of some kind at the end of the lease if you don't purchase the car. It would be unusual to not have such a fee.

However, your 2010 Sonata might be worth more than its residual value, given the near-perfect condition and low miles. What's the residual on it?
  • anmcanmc Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2013
    Hi,
    I am 20 something and trying to buy my first car, and I need your help. I am thinking of leasing a GLS Sedan 2.4L 4-cyl. 6-speed Automatic. I am based out of Houston. Can anyone please give a ballpark estimate of
    - what Monthly lease payment can I expect to be paying?
    - what down payment will be required?
    - Any preferred Hyundai dealers in Houston

Thanks in Advance!
  • antoniusantonius Member Posts: 39
    edited June 2013
    Looking for the money factor and residual rates on a 36 month and 24 month lease on a Sonata turbo with 12,000 miles per year
  • apv1982apv1982 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to lease a Sonata Ltd no NAV and got offered a 3 year 12k miles /year lease for 2K$ down and 299$/month. Is this a good price to go with?

This is in Michigan and have a 500$ rebate included.
    Hi straightdope. It's strange that they wouldn't offer a low mileage allowance like 10k, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi anmc. If you provide me with the MSRP and dealer invoice price of the exact Sonata that you want as you want it equipped I can work up a payment on it for you. you can find that pricing data over in the New Vehicle Pricing section of Edmunds.com.

Consumers can and should lease any vehicle that they want without paying any down payment. You will be asked to pay your car's first month's payment and possibly other fees at signing though.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi antonius. Hyundai Finance's June buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 Sonata SE 2.0T with 12,000 miles per year are .00110 and 62% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

I haven't seen a 24-month lease program for this car.

When negotiating your deal, make sure to take advantage of the $1,000 cash incentive that Hyundai is currently providing on leases of this model.

Car_man
    Host
  • anmcanmc Member Posts: 2
    Hi Car_man,

The dealer quoted me MSRP 22300 for Sonata GLS with popular package. According to him the lease works out to be 300 for 36 months @ 12000 miles/year. This will be my first car ever, hence I have no car leasing/loan history which, according to dealer makes my lease payment go up.

Please guide if this is a reasonable lease amount? How and on what can I negotiate and by how much?

Thanks,
    A
    edited June 2013
    Ok. I got quoted 24500 including the 1000 rebate and a .00175 MF for top tier by a dealer in CA with a 62% res on a 26600 MSRP 2.0T.

Got a better quote from another deal of MSRP 26470, Cap cost of 22400 including rebates, and 62% res/.00110 MF. 249 a month with tax no money down except 1st payment, acq fee rolled into cap. They have a done deal if they can get me out of my camry lease with 2 mo left, otherwise I will have to wait.
    edited July 2013
    Ended up lease from Hardin Hyundai in Anaheim CA yesterday
    Got a 2.0T without Nav/Moonroof with Shimmering White

Everything is approximate as I am doing it from memory but is pretty much within a few bucks

MSRP 26670
    Cap 22700
    Plus Acq Fee 595
    Final payment from Camry lease rolled in 242 (owed 15990 including last 2 payments, they gave me 15750)
    Final Cap 23300
    MF .00110
    Res 16525
    No money down. Paid 1st month payment at drive off
    257 a month including 8% tax. (would have been about 247 without the shimmering white which added $2 (200 MSRP, about 76 residual) and without my last lease payment on my Toyota which added about $8 a month).

3 year/ 36k. Phenomenal deal and super easy. Would have been in and out in about 1 hour start to finish but I got a little confused over the way the numbers were laid out on the lease agreement, but they were actually right all along and it was my fault, so I delayed the process a bit. No games, no changes to the deal we worked out over the phone. Top notch and I love the car so far. My Yelp review for them has a little more info including salesman info if anyone is interested since I don't think we can post that here?
  • mnattymnatty Member Posts: 4
    That is an awesome deal! I have one month left (this month) on my 36/15,000 2011 GLS for the same monthly payment!! I was thinking about leasing an Infiniti G37x, but if I can get into a 2.0T SE for that I may have to do it. Although now I see that I misread your comment that it is withOUT nav/moonroof...I was hoping to add that, but not a must-have. Hope I can swing a similar deal here in MN...thanks for the info, antonius.
  • bluejay44bluejay44 Member Posts: 1
    So I'm looking at the Sonata GLS and the salesman is trying to tell me that the $1,500 retail cash doesn't apply on leases. Is that true? I tend to disagree. Also, wanted to confirm 60% residual and .00067 MF. Thanks
  • turbo2point0turbo2point0 Member Posts: 7
    If anyone in the NYC area is looking to buy or lease a Sonata, let me know, I will refer you to my salesman. No bs, no games, got me the best possible deal. I've sent him 6 customers since. Also, he will throw in free accessories like rubber floor mats, ipod cable, etc. Dealership is located in Queens.
    I was able to get retail cash applied on my lease. Go to another dealership
  • hahmedhahmed Member Posts: 2
    im looking to lease a sonata se w/ nav/sunroof

please let me know about your guy

thanks
  • mnattymnatty Member Posts: 4
    Received the following at Hyundai dealership in St. Paul today:

2013 Sonata SE 2.0T w/ Nav/sunroof pkg
    $29,335 MSRP
    - 2,250 "Discount"
    - 1,000 Lease Cash
    - 1,000 Military & "VOC" discounts
    $25,085 "Adjusted Price"
    + 75 Doc Fee
    + 500 Registration
    + 665 Tax
    + 629 "Non Tax Fees" (could not explain to me what this is for)
    $26,953 "Net Price" (I believe this is cap cost)

$320/mo for 36 mos. w/ 0 down (12,000 miles)

I was told residual is 60% and money factor is .00114 (and that these are set by Hyundai and could not be manipulated)

Anyone see any holes in this or any room to negotiate?
  • ctal1234ctal1234 Member Posts: 20
    Hello,

Do any of you helpful people have the July residual and MF for a 3 yr/36k lease on a 2013 Sonata GLS with the Popular Equipment Package?

Thanks!
  • mht2013mht2013 Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I am looking to leasing sonata limited w/ nav. do you have any nice dealer you are aware of? I am in NJ.
    Please let me know that dealer you are talking about in Queens
    I am interested in Sonata Limited with Navigation for leasing. How much I should expect per month including all tax and fees with 1000 down payment? If I choose Sonata Limited without Navigation how much the number will be?
    I have a great dealer in Queens, if you dont mind coming over to NY
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    Your personal security is important to us, so please do not post your email address in a message.

You may include the dealership name, city and state in your post. Please do not post last names of salespeople, telephone numbers, email addresses, or other contact information.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ricovanianricovanian Member Posts: 14
    i'mon long island- who is the dealer?
  • ricovanianricovanian Member Posts: 14
    who is it? i am in the market
    I dont mind. please tell me!
    click on my username to see my profile, my email address is there. Send me an email and I will send you the details. The Dealership is located in Queens.
    click on my username to see my profile, my email address is there. Send me an email and I will send you the details. The Dealership is located in Queens.
  • pinksnyperpinksnyper Member Posts: 75
    @Carman can you please share with me the current MF and residuals for a 2013 Sonata 2.0T SE with automatic transmission? Looking at 15k/year 36 month lease and top-tier credit. Thanks!
  • vr18vr18 Member Posts: 4
    Also looking for current MF and residual but for a 2013 Sonata Limited 2.4L w/ Premium Package. 15k/year and 36 mo. lease w/ Tier 1
  • nspyr808nspyr808 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2013
    Looking to lease 2013 Sonata Hybrid Limited. I was wondering what the MF and Residual for this car would be. Try to see if purchase or lease makes more sense. Lease for 36 mo with 12K miles.
  • pauly922pauly922 Member Posts: 6
    I am also looking for the August money factor and residual for a 2013 Sonata Limited 2.4L with the Premium Package at 15k a year for 36 months and Tier 1 credit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • pauly922pauly922 Member Posts: 6
    Hey kyfdx,

Do you know the September money factor and residual for a 2013 Sonata limited 2.4L with the premium package at 15k for 36 months and tier 1 credit? Also, do you know if they are running a 24 month lease on the Sonata?

Thanks.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    .00053 and 53%..

Don't show 24 month leases for any Hyundais..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• quazywongquazywong Member Posts: 1
    Your email is private, please let me know which dealer.

I'm out in queens looking for a lease deal as well
  • rubylynnrubylynn Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,

Just wanted to get some opinions as to whether I'm getting a good deal on a lease that was offered at the dealership. It's for a 2013 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L Limited w/ Nav/Panoramic Sunroof package.

The MSRP on the car is $29,540.

We're putting down $2k (that includes taxes & fees)

Early lease trade in for Elantra--$716 remaining payments on the Elantra

Our monthly payment for the new lease would be $285/month. I just wanted to get some opinions to see if you think this is a good deal.

Also, they said that the Sonata in white costs $200 more? Has anyone heard this before? Our Elantra is white and they didnt tell us that when we leased in 2011, and website doesn't change price if you select white.
This discussion has been closed.