Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar XJ-Series Lease Questions

CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
edited January 2019 in Jaguar
Hi everyone. Please use the following discussion to post any questions that you have about leasing a Jaguar XJ8. Thanks.

Car_man
Host
Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums

Comments

• oahzoahz Member Posts: 2
    Back in the 60s, I had a white 3.0 sedan and later a BRG 3.8s sedan. I loved both of them. Today's S Type are their grand children. But both cars had typical Jaguar problems, and I got away from Jags. I'm retired now and have been thinking about Jags again; especially the aluminum bodied XJ8. 300 horses are plenty for me these days.

After reading people's comment about various XJ8 problems, I am worried; especially worrisome is the sudden acceleration problem that Jaguar Company don't want to admit. One way to get around my worry is leasing. I would try to negotiate for the shortest possible lease with options. In case I have a lemon, I would be stuck just for a while. But if the car is trouble free, I would either exercise the option to buy, or extend the lease. I think leasing is a wonderful way to ease one's Jag anxiety.

I love Jags, but only when they are still under factory warranty!
  • jcm57jcm57 Member Posts: 7
    Hello:
    I just purchased a 2004 X-Type (used, of course) with 23,000 miles, automatic. I've been reading this forum and am extremely concerned that I bought a car with a history of mechanical and reliability problems (of course, I did not do this research until AFTER I bought the car). Given what I am reading about jags, I am looking to get an extended warranty, just to help me sleep at night and give me peace of mind. Any thoughts on extended warranties for jags?
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    Nothing more than "Mechanical Insurance". This facet of the insurance industry has yet to be standardized so is subject to a multitude of "fine print" differences. Years ago, one company, Ranger, took in a lot of premium, but went away leaving many folk in the lurch. Read each line of the proposed policy and especially the verbiage under EXCLUSIONS.

I have never purchased such insurance due to the above reasons.
  • blov8rblov8r Member Posts: 567
    Thank you all for honest reporting. I've wanted a Jag for ages and was seriously considering finally getting an XJ8 when my Infiniti lease is up ... but I have zero tolerance for aggravation and will likely stay with Infiniti or possibly move to Lexus armed with this information. MB and BMW have been irritatingly unreliable as well so they're out of my equation. I had NO issues with any of the four Caddies I've previously had. Oh, well. Bart :shades:
  • denhamdenham Member Posts: 76
    I purchased a 1998 xj8 in like new condition, and after reading some of the problems such as the secondary timing tensioners I started calling the Jag.dealers ( I called two) one wanted $4500 if all needed replacement and $2500 if only the secondary tensioners needed replacement. The second dealer wanted $1500 for replacement of the two secondary tensioners only. I also ask about replacing a front wheel bearing and the labor not bearing was over $400. I have a small shop and I relaced the wheel bearing total cost $41.60 in about two hours. The tensioners were next and took less than four hours for replacement as all you need do is remove
    the valve cover and lift up the cam shaft with timing chain and relace the tensioner. (Yes one tensioner was cracked)
    The cost of upkeep and repairs is what hurts most for Jaguar
    cars, if I did not have my on shop and able to make most of my own repairs I would never own a Jaguar of any type.
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Replace that timing chain... trust me.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi everyone. This particular discussion is for community members to discuss leasing the Jaguar XJ8. Please post any questions and comments that you have about this car's reliability and maintenance over in one of the following discussions: "Jaguar XJ Series Engine questions and issues", "Jaguar XJ Transmission Questions", or "Jaguar XJ-Series". Thanks.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    Has anyone leased an 08 and would you be willing to share the details of the deal you got?

Thanks
  • krasnowkrasnow Member Posts: 3
    $4500 down includes first month payment and tax. $930 a month for 39 months.
  • veebee66veebee66 Member Posts: 8
    Dear Car_man:
    Could you please help me with the lease details on a Jaguar XF for a 36 month 12,000 mi lease?
    Also the dealership has a new 2008 XJ8 - the salesman says that they cannot lease a 2008 vehicle. Is that true or is he blowing smoke?

Thanks
    Hi veebee66. What you were told is correct. Jaguar is not leasing 2008 models any longer. I posted the XF information that you are looking for over in the new "Jaguar XF Lease Questions" discussion. Please check there for my response and let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks.

Car_man
    Host
  • veebee66veebee66 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks car_man. I must have saved 1000s over the years - all thanks to the info you provide.

Could you also let me know the MF, Residual on a Base XJ8/XJ8L for 36 months and 10,000 miles/year?

Thanks again.
    You're very welcome, veebee66. Infortunately, it does not appear as though Jaguar is currently providing any lease support on the XJ8. Its current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Jaguar XJ8 with 10,000 miles per year are an extremely unattractive .00412 and 40%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '09 XJ8L are .00412 and 41%.

It's possible that some independent bank out there has a better lease program than this on the XJ8. If not, don't lease it because this program is terrible. You would be much better off financing it through Chase at 2.9% for 5 years.

Car_man
    Host
  • nycguy2nycguy2 Member Posts: 1
    hi everyone..want to lease a vanden plas and need to know what the real best lease rates are. any help is appreciated.
    Hi nycguy2. Jaguar's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas with 15,000 miles per year are an awesome .00005 and a terrible 31%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • lucillucil Member Posts: 1
    please help me. I am interested in leasing a 2009 Jag xj8 with 15,000 miles per year, 38 month lease, no down payment. Can anyone help me. I got a buy price from jag,com for 62,000. After reading a few blogs. I think I'm better off leasing. what's a fair leasing price for the model?
    Hi lucil. Jaguar is not currently providing any lease support on the 2009 XJ8. As a result, if you really want to lease one you will have to do so through a bank like US Bank. I am not personally familiar with US Bank's lease program for this model, but I can tell you how to negotiate a good deal.

The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. Look up the dealer invoice price of the exact XJ8 that you want over in the New Vehicle Pricing section of this site, subtract the $7,000 dealer cash that Jag is providing on the on XJ8 ($8,000 on the L) from that, add a couple hundred dollars for the dealer, and use that price as your starting price when negotiating.

Car_man
    Host
  • jjefferies1jjefferies1 Member Posts: 2
    Dear Car_man:
    Could you please help me with the lease details on a Jaguar XJ for a 48 month 12,000 mi lease and the price of the car is 78,000.00. I was wonder what the break down of the lease would be and what the monthly payment would be?

Thank you...
    Hi jjefferies1. It's fantastic that you know what this car's selling price is. That is a very important number to know when negotiating a lease. However, in order to work up a payment on this car for you I need to know what this car's MSRP is as well. Let me know what it is and I'll crunch some numbers for you.

Car_man
    Host
  • jjefferies1jjefferies1 Member Posts: 2
    The MSRP is 82,500 for the car, let me know if you need anything else?

Thanks...
    Thanks for the additional information, jjefferies1.

According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2011 Jaguar XJ that has an MSRP of $82,500 and a selling price of $78,000 right now for 48 months with 12,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment would be around $1,073.

Car_man
    Host
  • denhamdenham Member Posts: 76
    I have replaced tires on my XJ8 with the Michelin 225-60R-16 98V MXV4 and when car sets and n drove first 5-10 miles the tires flat spot shake the car and steering wheel. Once the tires get warm the the car is a pleasure to drive.
    The tires I removed were MXV4Plus 98V the old design and the car could set for weeks with no ride problem.
    I am told I must exchange for a T rated tire in order for a better ride, as H and V rated tires now
    have a nylon overlay that will flat spot if now drove often. My car is a 2001 and it may set at times for a month , any idea or does anyone else have this problem?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,789
    Hi denham..

Not likely to get a whole lot of tire advice here in the Lease Questions forum...

Try the general XJ forum, here: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.eea605e/2792

I will say that the advice about T-rated tires is just wrong... Plus, I doubt there is a T-rated tire that meets the manufacturer specs for your car.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• fambrazfambraz Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I woud appreciate any info on the Jaguar 2011 XJ SC current expected lease money factor and residual.

Thank you very much
  • fambrazfambraz Member Posts: 2
    To be more specific, I got the following deal and I am trying to invetsigate whether it is reasonable or not.

Vehicle XJ2011 supercharged
    MSRP: 93,050 (it includes some optionals)
    bank fee: 795
    net capitalized cost: 86,178.65
    money factor: 0.00175

monthly payment: 1424.08 (including CA tax)

down payment: 5,000 (includes 2,204.35 cap reduction, 1,092 dmv fee, 1,424.08 advance payment)

Any help is appreciated.
    Here you go fambraz. Chase's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 Jaguar XJ SC with 15,000 miles per year are .00151 and 51%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    As far as this specific deal goes, the car that you're interested in probably has a spread of around $7,000 between its full MSRP and its dealer invoice price. Add to that the $2,000 cash incentive that Jag is providing on leases of it right now and you have a total of around $9,000 to play with during your negotiations.

That puts the selling price that you were quoted at around $2,000 over invoice...assuming that the cap cost that you mentioned hasn't had the money that you are putting down deducted from it already.

$2,000 over isn't bad for such an expensive car. If you did already subtract the $2,200 cap cost reduction then you're at $4,000 over and you may be able to shave a little off of this car's price by shopping around.

Car_man
    Host
  • emillionemillion Member Posts: 17
    What are the details of the Jaguar lease offer for May:
    $73,575 MSRP
    36 months
    $3,301 down
    $795 fee
    10k/year at $899/month?
    I mean in terms of money factor/residual because I don't actually want to pay MSRP...
    Is it a good deal? Thank you.
    Hi emillion. Like most manufacturers' advertised lease payments, I suspect that Jaguar's official advertised lease on the XJ leaves a little meat on the bone so to speak. If there's a decent amount of competition in your area I suspect that you will be able to negotiate a lower selling price than the one that was used to arrive at this payment.

As far as the lease program goes, Jaguar's buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 XJ with 10,000 miles per year are .00058 and 52%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • autobodymenautobodymen Member Posts: 1
    We might be buying a 1999 jaguar xj8 with 100k miles for $5k to resell for $7k (Date May 13 2011. Is that a good idea? Or are we paying to much, what do you guys think?
  • bwest1bwest1 Member Posts: 12
    Visit to a TX dealer May 14, was quoted money factor of .00130 with residual 50% for 36 monts / 48% for 39 months with 10k miles. Apparently, this is from Chase/Jaguar Credit. Can anyone confirm if these are the buy rates? Residual seems low to me, money factor high. I read online on autoloandaily.com that there is $2k independent bonus cash and $2k unsubvened lease cash available from Jaguar Credit, as well as $1k dealer incentive for leases made to residents of TX and IL, but can't get confirmation of these. The extra $5k would sure help if this is correct and applied in my situation. Any help appreciated.
    Hi bwest1. Jaguar's May buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 XJL Supercharged with 10,000 miles per year are .00114 and 52%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 39 month lease are .00125 and 50%.

As far as the cash incentives go, there's $2,000 on leases of this car plus an additional $1,000 for residents of Texas or Illinois. There's some additional volume-based dealer cash available out there, but I'm not aware of the additional $2,000 that you mentioned.

Car_man
    Host
  • rippedpumarippedpuma Member Posts: 1
    Here's what I'm getting from a local dealer on a 2011 XJ (and XJL)

XJ - 42 months, 12K miles, 0 down; 1141.48/mo (44% residual, .00090 MF)
    XJL - 42 months, 12K miles, 0 down, 1224.44/mo (43% residual, .00083MF)

Both of the residuals look pretty low to me (compared to what others are seeing). Both of these cars are pretty "stock", no real options to speak of on either.

What do you guys think?
  • deaddogdeaddog Member Posts: 60
    Car man - can you tell me the money factor and residual for a 2011 XJ Base model, both for 36 month and 24 month? Same info for XJ Supercharged? These are both short wheel base, not the "L" model
    thanks
  • nicksmu17nicksmu17 Member Posts: 183
    Looking for the rates on 2012 XJL regular and supercharged.

Thanks
    Hi nicksmu17. Chase's May buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 Jaguar XJL with 15,000 miles per year are .00001 and 44%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an XJL Supercharged are .00001 and 45%.

There is a $5,200 cash incentive on the XJL and $1,000 on the Supercharged.

Car_man
    Host
  • gtp168gtp168 Member Posts: 1
    Looking for the rates on a XJ regular 42 month lease with 12,000 miles a year and how much is the cash incentive on it. Can it be combined with other certificates such as $1500 that you get in the mail?

Thanks
    Here's the information that you're looking for gtp168. Chase's May buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 42-month lease of a 2012 XJ with 12,000 miles per year are .00027 and 42%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Jag is currently providing a $3,700 cash incentive on leases of this car. This cash and the special rates should be compatible with the certificate that you mentioned.

Car_man
    Host
  • jvonnysjvonnys Member Posts: 10
    Looking to get a Jaguar XJL this month, and would greatly appreciate the lease rates for June. Looking for a 36-42 month lease @10-12k miles per. Dealer is giving me the run around so would like the rates to do my own calculations beforehand.

Thank you very much for any assistance.
  • nd_irishnd_irish Member Posts: 33
    Hi Car_man,

I apologize for the extra post, but I thought I should post this request here instead of in the XF forum. I also would appreciate it if you could let me know what the October 2012 money factors and residuals would be for a 24-month and 36-month lease of a 2012 base XJ with 10,000 miles per year. Thanks, again!
    It's not an extra post at all, Irish. This is a better place because it theoretically will help others who are shopping for an XJ.

Chase's October buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24-month lease of a base XJ with 10,000 miles per year are .00045 and 56%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 36-month lease are .00001 and 49%.

Car_man
    Host
  • runesrunes Member Posts: 4
    Car Man,
    Can you please list the incentives, money factor and residuals for XJL Portfolio with 10,000 miles/year? Only option is color=British racing green (listed as MSRP of $1500 on website). Thanks so much.
    Hello runes. Chase's November buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 XJL with 10,000 miles per year are .00001 and 48% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier. Pretty low money factor huh :)?

Car_man
    Host
    Thanks, Car_man!
    Hi Car_man,
    the dealership I'm dealing with has a 2012 XJL with several dealer add ons (rear seat entertainment, MRSP 2200; polished wheels, MSRP 1500). They listed:
    Purchase Price is 83,772
    Lease price is 76,947 ( There is lease cash on this vehicle of 6,825 )
    1,600 @ inception = 35 remaining payments of 1,269 / month
    10k miles
    MF - 0.00101
    RV 44%
    The money factor is significantly higher than what you've listed. I have a Chase banker; am approaching them directly. Thoughts?
    Thanks in advance
  • a8man1a8man1 Member Posts: 23
    Dear Carman,

I see this forum has been inactive for a while, please post July MF and Residual for a 2013 XJ BASE Sedan, for 10, 000 miles and 36 months, if possible for 12,000 miles as well.

Thank you!

a8man1
  • a8man1a8man1 Member Posts: 23
    Dear Carman,

Can you please provide lease incentives and rebates along with MF and residual for a XJ base sedan for 10,000 miles, 36 months?

Thank you!

a8man1
  • rtandon87rtandon87 Member Posts: 4

Can you please provide the MF and residual for a 2013 and 2014 XJL Portfolio for 10,000 miles, 36 months.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,789

@rtandon87 said:
    Can you please provide the MF and residual for a 2013 and 2014 XJL Portfolio for 10,000 miles, 36 months.

I'm sorry, but don't have the May numbers for Jaguar, yet..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• leaselover15leaselover15 Member Posts: 7

The dealer quoted me 0.00015 and 51% for a 2014 XJL Portfolio. My thought is, would it be better to wait for a 2015, since it'll have a higher residual value and thus a lower lease payment? Looks like this MF is pretty standard for XJL 36 months 30,000 miles. What CAP cost can I expect for a 2014 vs 2015?