Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Sierra: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    HID bulbs? Do they actually make such a thing or is it a marketing ploy. I thought HID had to be bought as a complete system often costing close to $1000 +

Yeah and watch the brightness cause I had a light melt down the fog light housing on my Silverado. Course on the Denali, the fogs are made of glass and not plastic therefore are able to handle the hotter bulbs.
  • firefly5firefly5 Member Posts: 9
    I own a 2004 gmc sierra 2500HD duramax diesel with the allison trans.I have had the same intermitted problem for a year. The truck started with a hesitation problem .I took it into the dealership at which time the dealership recalibrated my computer. Ever since then the engine started stumbling. when this happens it won't go over 25 mph.If the excellorator is fully depressed the engine feels like it's going to die off.Anyone experience this problem or know the fix would appreciate the help.
    I bought a 2004 gmc sierraHD duramax diesel ext.cab my center caps come loose and fell off after the first month of ownership, Since then I've lost two sets.GMC wants to glue them back on. I say no way fix it right,I have the chrome on steel , HELP!!!!!
    My 2004 gmc 2500HD 6.6 liter diesel allison trans ext.cab has interrior rattels at the dash and between the doors or armrest area. The dealership says they don,t hear anything.I think they should turn off the radio and A/C then they might hear it. The truck has a little over 11,000 miles.It,s driving me crazy? anybody got the same problems?(answers & sollutions)
    My 2004 gmc sierra 2500HD 6.6 liter duramax diesel ext. cab has wind noises between the double doors and weather stripping. GMC says I,m the only one experiencing this problem. All you ext. cab GMC owners now is your time to be heard.( please respond )
    I have had problems with the steering on my truck from the 2nd. month of ownership, I was told I needed to brake in the truck.The problem persisted and got worse, I could feel it on my steering wheel.Finally a friend of mine who owns the same truck advised me there was a bulletin out on the intermediate shaft.The truck in question is the 2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.6 liter duramax diesel ext. cab.The shaft was replaced which caused another problem, a groaning noise in the steering when making left turns. I was told that the coil spring in back of the air bag on my steering had to be replaced. It was replaced but the problem wasn't solved. They then replaced the steering gearbox which caused another problem, This problem still persists today. What certain dealerships are doing is they have devised an adapter which is attached to a grease gun which is then pumped into the intermediate shaft. This has proved to be a temporary fix as the grease comes out and dries up. let me know if this has happened to you?
  • shiftlessshiftless Member Posts: 40
    This won't solve all the problems you have with the truck but if you have a grease fitting on the intermediate steering shaft spline this would be an easy fix. Use a heavier grease typically used for wheel bearings. I used this method several years ago and the system is still working as it should.
  • mailman2mailman2 Member Posts: 15
    2001 Z-71 shortbed How hard to replace all the rotors and pads? Any special tools? Dealer wanted a $1,000 to do it. Another place wanted $700 and would stand behind their work.
    Thanks shiftless, I did Explain to the area Rep that if a grease nipple was installed to the intermediate shaft it would help solve this problem.Trust me they don't want to address this problem as it's been going on for years. Makes you wander whats going on with General Motors could this be why their profits are down. Good point that heavier grease does make a lot of sense.( thanks)
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    MAIL........Those prices are about "right" for a stealer
    brake job.................
    Of course they are gonna want to replace the pads, rotors,
    calipers and poss. the brake hose(s) and just about
    anything else that MAY be "marginal" !!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember that word LIABILITY ? It rears its UGLY head
    where safety items are required.............

While any brake job is NOT for the inexperienced. It is
    easily done in a short time by a experienced "shadetree"
    mechanic.
    A set of good pads are under $30. A rotor "cut" is $10
    bucks each, a replacement rotor on a 4x4 is anywhere from $50 to $150 each and a set of rebuilt calipers is under $50!.............

Where are you getting these prices and what is included ?????????
    GUYS.....take a peek over at ridglineownersclub or
    tundrasolutions.com
    GM is NOT the only automaker with steering shaft
    or cold start knock problems.............

But to be FAIR......."THOSE" vehicles NEVER have problems!
    Just ask any of their owners here in "fantasyland"!!!!!

Did I mention the titan? Thats another "perfect one" too!

..........LOL !!!!!!!!! :P
    The dealer did an inspection and I did see the pads and rotors are gone. They had turned them about a year ago for rust. The $1,000 was from the dealer for 4 rotors and pads all around. A local brake place said they could do the same for $700 with a lifetime warranty.
    There are rotors and then there are rotors. There are also rotors that warp. There are ceramic pads and there are metallic pads which will make your rims look like a BMW's. I'd ask what kind of rotor and pads that both will be using cause it will make a difference in the price. Geo9 said $50 to $150 on the rotors. If garage B was using $150 rotors X4 and a quality ceramic pad...well then he'd be charging for parts with free installation.

Personally, if you could just call around and ask how much they would charge to install pads and rotors with you providing the parts to get a better idea on their labor charge. And if opting for that route, I'd definitely would pick up my own parts and watch them install it.

One last thing...try to stay away from Midas....lol.
  • 2000z71blk2000z71blk Member Posts: 2
    I agree with you I have a 2000 GMC Sierra the transfer case just emptied out. Not sure what the issue is. If it's cracked I'm gonna be bull----. If it's the seals I can deal with it. I had no warning at all the fluid just dumped out of the tranfer case when I parked it. I had it put up on the wrecker with the rear facing the pavement and it completly dumped out....
  • 2000z71blk2000z71blk Member Posts: 2
    I had slight vibration on the highway pulled into work. Put it in park and all the Transfer case fluid dumped out of the truck. The truck has 83K on it. Is this happening often with these truck. I hope I don't have a cracked transfer case if it is I'm gonna be heated. I've never towed or plowed with this truck ugggggg!!!
    BLK............ I know EXACTLY what you are gonna find !
    A wear thru hole in the case itself. It wears from the
    inside OUT !!!!!!! This is a known NPG tran. case prob. and is well noted on a few GM truck sites along with
    pics and cures...............

Some guys use JB Weld, another guy used a pan screw along
    with a washer and sealer. Will dig up link for ya !
    Heres a link to pics of the GM trans. case link.
    Is yours there? There are others posted elsewhere
    with fixes but this is the most common area for the
    wear thru leak.........
    http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=40876&hl=transfer+case+link
    Hey keefe1, each time they cut your rotors and drums it lessens the life of it. Also too much cutting of the front rotors will cause them to heat up and warp a lot faster. I'd contact the GMC Consumer Relations Manager at 1-800-426-8782.If this doesn't help contact the Better Business Bureau. Just stick to it and be persistant.(Good Luck).
    Had rotors and pads all around. Cost $700. I was there when they took everything off. Could not believe that GM would allow such crap to be installed on their trucks. The rotors were pitted and rusted and the pads were chewed up. I am light on the pedal so it's not abuse. Only 40,000 miles 2001 Z-71. The pads are lifetime and rotors are 1 year but if they rust up, he'll replace them free. GM's rotors rust up in the lot. Looked at a new truck and the rotors are rusted. Salesman said the rust will come off when you start to drive it. YEAH RIGHT
    Mail.....ALL rotors on a lightly driven vehicle will
    show some sort of "rust" on the wear face. Water or
    moisture will show "rust" on ANY untreated iron or steel
    surface. A bit of driving will wear the "rust" off.

Here in snow and salt land severe rust will form between
    the front and back wear surfaces in the heat "slots".

Are your brakes pulsing or giving you any other problems?

Rotors????...yea the price varies greatly. Just put a
    set on my girls s-blazer.........$39 bucks each.
    Made in china of course................ :P
    Full sizer 6 or 8 bolt rotors get $pendy quick !!!!!!!
    Brakes did not feel different. Had the abs sensors replaced under recall. Had them turned a couple years back because of rust. Ever since then, pad wear was going faster than usual. It is better not to have GM's rotors as The same problem would occur
    2000.....take a trip over to the dieselplace.com.
    A big thread and pics over there about the trans.
    case leak/wear-thru issues..............
  • noobie1noobie1 Member Posts: 326
    You're right to point that out about HID. I think George and I are confusing HID with Halogen. A quick look at the McMaster-Carr catalogue shows there are four types of HID (High Intensity Discharge); Mercury Vapor, Low-pressure Sodium, High-pressure Sodium, and Metal Halide. They all have a long restart and warm-up period so, if they're actually used in automotive applications someone here may be able to inform. Their use is mainly for area lighting, and yes, they are pricey; You can easily pay $100 for one bulb. And as far as the 'no touchy rule' for Halogen, I've seen it on 120V applications, but I'm not sure if it applies to low voltage applications. There's no warning on the Silvania packaging.

I'm intrigued about your comment on the Denali fogs. Not being familiar with there look, do you know if the 2002's are interchangeable with the same year Silverado?

-David
  • akenatenakenaten Member Posts: 122
    My owners manual says to change the engine oil when the DIC tells me to. It also says I should change the oil at least once a year. Is that really enough? On my other vehicles I change oil and filter every 5000 miles. Since this is my first diesel(2006 Sierra 2500HD)how often should I change it and why would a diesel need it less often than a gas engine? :confuse:
    Took me awhile to check if they could be swapped. It appears not as the Sierra/Yukon has round fogs as compared to the elongated ones on the Silverado.

Now if you were to do a conversion on the front end with an Escalade kit perhaps..........
  • good_dog_scoutgood_dog_scout Member Posts: 1
    Are there any other option as to replacing the windows on my 2000 GMC extended cab to get rid of the wind noise? I am actually considering gluing them shut with silicon. Any other ideas out there?

I wished the had made the back quarter windows that roll down. Anyone ever see a truck converted that way?
  • wiljmanwiljman Member Posts: 1
    all fuses are good, fan work when wired directly to the battery, fan doesnt work on any speed. the only thing i can think of is the relay switch. is there a reset to activate relay???
  • gmctruckgmctruck Member Posts: 186
    GM was replacing them under warranty years ago with a redesigned window that supposedly fixed the wind noise problem. There was also a window latch modification that would pull the window in tighter, but I don't remember the exact details since it's been so long ago. A web search might help you find more information on that. The windows can be replaced, but I'm not sure what the cost would be since it's out of warranty.

You would not be able to convert them to roll down windows without major modifications which wouldn't be worth the trouble. Keeping the windows shut all the time seems to help so I don't ever open them on my '99 Sierra.
    I think you should convert them to roll down widows. I'm sure an obviously savvy guy like yourself could make it work! :)
    WIL........Check the 'rado/sierra thread here.
    Another poster (dagord) had the same problem.
    He replaced a simple relay in the heater
    control/switch assembly for only a few bucks vs.
    a whole new unit.........
  • razormannrazormann Member Posts: 3
    I have a 94 Sierra 4x4 with a 350 auto trans that when I try to start it fires up fine and then dies within seconds. After some cranking and cursing it starts and runs just fine, no stumbles or rough running. Even when I am trying to start it is sounds just fine. Once it is running it drives smooth and there are no problems.
    Why would this happen?, it seems as if the fuel is being turned off because pushing the foot feed when it is about to die does nothing. Now here is a list of everything that has been done in the last 3 days:
    Replaced plugs and Wires
    Replaced Coil
    Replaced Ignition Module
    Replaced Fuel Pump Relay
    The Fuel pump is less than 1 year old.
    I brought it to the shop and they couldn't find anything, they said my fuel pressure is fine. Also my check engine light DOES NOT come on at all with this problem, and i know the light works. If anyone can tell me where to go next with this it would be awesome, are there any other electronics that can cuase this problem or has someone had the same problem and was able to ID it?
    Thanks for your help everyone!
    Razormann
  • lamar1lamar1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a similar problem where my 2000 GMC Sierra 5.3 V8 will "surge" during regular driving. I had the fuel filter changed but it continues with the same problem. I had the transmission checked but no problem there either.
    Run a diagnostic on the ECM(computor).
    I had it in the shop and they hooked it up to diagnostic machine and found nothing. They checked the fuel pressure at the injectors and said that it was good as well. I have been told that it could be the Coolant Temperature Sensor, so I am going to try that and see what happens
    Well, it wasn't the CTS and it has been determined that the truck has fuel at the injectors right up to the point when it dies. If anyone has seen this type of problem before please let me know.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter aims to talk with full-size truck buyers, shopper and drivers. If this describes you, please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than 5pm Eastern on Friday, May 5, 2006. Please provide your daytime contact information and a few words about the relevant truck model(s).

Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• rjhubrjhub Member Posts: 3
    03 GMC Sierra Ext Cab 5.3L
    Many warranty fixes. I talked with GM customer relations
    about a buy back or trade out or something. There solution was to put all my info in an unsatisfied customer file. So anything I called about was put into that file.
    I even told them they should be happy to get information from an engineer about the flaws in there product. They did not seem to agree. I told them I bought the truck(Professional Grade)because I thought it was the best built best looking most dependable truck. I ended up having to take it back over and over to get things fixed that I thought I was getting by buying a NEW Truck.
    They did fix things under warranty or attempt to fix.

Thanks,
    Russell Hubbard
    Quickest response to buyback will come through the BBB. Most other requests go ignored till they go away.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    email Jeannine directly... she can't really respond to responses made in the forums.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • alcockalcock Member Posts: 3
    Bought my 2003HD new and thought that this was good as I always drove a ford, but I work at GM. Problems started when there was a rattle front drivers side + oil, new front shock and drivers side universal. Then drivers side inner tie rod, then the axle was squeeling next replaced universals on drive shaft. Gm dealers charge nearly $100 cdn per hour, lots of $$$$ to fix these trucks. Still a good truck and the engine runs great 6.6L Duramax. 65000 miles so far.
  • leggettleggett Member Posts: 2
    On my 99 GMC, when i turn the steering column to the right i get binding and an air noise. It is totally normal when steered to the left. Is this a bad pump (but why when problem only occurs turning left) or a geared problem with the linkage. The belt, lines, and pulley appear to be normal and I bled the system by turning the column repeatedly left to right to no avail. Any ideas?
  • tiburciotiburcio Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 GMC Sierra that recently developed this continuous clicking noise behind the cluster board. It doesn't seem to affect the performance of any of the cluster gauges. Has anyone experienced this problem, and would you have a suggestion on what to check for?

Thanks
  • kemp52kemp52 Member Posts: 1
    I have 1988 GMC 1500 Sierra. The other day while driving it just shut off. It cranks fine and if I put gas into the carb it will fire up. The fuel pump is only a year old but I did take it out to make sure it was working. Put in a new fuel pump relay changed the ECU and nothing works. The fuel pump is not getting the power to it. All fuses are OK. Would a oil pressure switch or water temperature switch that is bad shut down the whole fuel system??? Can anyone help??? Thank you
  • nathantnathant Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 gmc sierra 4.3l 5 speed, I bought this truck used in 2004 with 72000 Km on it. I the first month I had to have the fuel pump changed(covered by the dealer). I am having problem with it again. I was told it could be a wiring/ground problem and not the whole fuel pump. any info would be great
  • dsc73rocksdsc73rocks Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 sierra has been worked hard.has 211000 miles. when i drive it in traffic,stop and go,it starts shifting hard 1st threw 4th gear.1st to 2nd is hardest. After driving long distance on freeway the third stop or so it starts shifting real hard slaming in to gear. Question is this an electronic proublem ,is my modual heating up ? Or is there a serrious proublem with the bands or pump? If so Can this proublem be cured with an upgrade Shift kit Exc.??
  • cezannecezanne Member Posts: 3
    When cold or after sitting for a while, my truck cranks for about four or five seconds before it catches. I've replaced the fuel filter and the fuel pump relay with no improvement. No problem code when my mechanic hooked it up and fuel pressure is good. Any suggestions?
  • smoore2smoore2 Member Posts: 1
    My window defroster stopped working for me. Does not work at any speed. Some times will come on and go back off. Seems alot like some sort of relay switch. Any info?
    Electrical. Hard starting when cold is a symptom of a battery losing its faculties.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • cezannecezanne Member Posts: 3
    Come to think of it, it did start doing this after I ran my battery down leaving my horse trailer lights on (twice). Thanks!
    Welcome :) 16 years of exclusively driving trucks has told me, when the starting becomes a little labored, it's time for new batts.
This discussion has been closed.