Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Sierra: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• shiftlessshiftless Member Posts: 40
    2K GMC Sierra SLE, 4 WD, Regular Cab, Short Box,

For paintdude Post 130 & tanks Post 147 and others that might be interested.

This is the sequence of events which corrected my steering problems and may be the cure for others. Chevrolet & GMC are basically the same so I will post this in both forums.

BROUGHT IN TO GMC DEALERSHIP TO CORRECT AN OBVIOUS FRONT END MISALIGNMENT AT 7200 MILES.

Was informed that the original factory specs were wrong, two new tires were installed & new alignment specs were adjusted. The service Mgr. suggested a replacement of the intermediate steering shaft because after about 8000 miles or so, many developed a clunking sound.

A NEW INTERMEDIATE STEERING SHAFT WAS REPLACED.

At that time the service Mgr. suggested a replacement of the steering box because of slight pulling to the right.

A NEW STEERING BOX WAS INSTALLED.

Now for the first time there was an obvious excessive free play in the steering wheel and no improvement to other problems. This free play caused the need to constantly correct left to right to stay on the road. This was an especially dangerous problem on windy days.

I BLED THE POWER STEERING SYSTEM BY TURNING THE STEERING WHEEL LOCK TO LOCK ABOUT 6 TIMES. (This should have completely eliminated air from the system.)

That cured about 80% of the free play. I then took the truck back to have the dealership eliminate the rest of the free play. I suspected a defective steering box. After about 8 trips back to the dealer with this problem, the service Mgr. suggested I contact GM (number in the owners manual) to get a GM service Tech. involved. I did get immediate response from GM by phone. A service tech. came to evaluate and to do what ever he could to correct the problem.

THE SERVICE TECH. CENTERED THE SECTOR SHAFT AND READJUSTED TO CENTER THE STEERING WHEEL.

The thinking was that this would cure the pulling to either side. It did not eliminate the excessive free play. So I still had a problem. From that point I had no response from the dealer about my problem for over 3 weeks.

The next step accidentally cured the free play problem. I had to turn a loaded trailer around in a very narrow driveway. This took a lot of steering wheel turning.

I HAD TO TURN THE STEERING WHEEL LOCK TO LOCK ABOUT 30 OR MORE TIMES. THIS ELIMINATED THE AIR FROM THE SYSTEM AND CORRECTED THE FREE PLAY PROBLEM. The steering now operates the way it should and there is also no pulling in either direction.

Sorry for the long post!
    Ed
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Drove a '01 1500 rado for about a week. Had about two hundred miles when I started to drive it. The truck feels more solid, takes bumps better, and overall ride is better. And that's with the stock shocks. Other than that, no major difference and at 42 still has a little flexing and is an improvement over the early 2000s.
  • robmillcanrobmillcan Member Posts: 1
    Both were solved for me after several trips to different dealers. The stearing was so bad that I could get a deer in the bush within 300 feet if ii took my hands off of the wheel.

Drives like a Caddy now. If you want more details on what I had done it is best to phone me 1-705-942-5744 for I rarely go here on my computer and just by chance saw people were having the same problem I was having.
    Bob
  • thomas_256thomas_256 Member Posts: 1
    I have a noise in the rear end of my '99 Sierra 2wd extend cab. Mainly notice it when backing down out of the driveway while turning. Also, sometimes hear the same noise while turning hard to the right or left. Suspect excessive play in the axle is the cause,,,,has anyone heard of this problem? milage is 12,600.

tom
  • paintdudepaintdude Member Posts: 15
    New steering box and pump..I centered the wheel myself..all is well...I still Luv this truck..don`t miss my 98 Z71 at all...No regrets,here...
  • gmc2001crewgmc2001crew Member Posts: 4
    my 2001 GMC 6.0 had a tapping on start-up... visit to dealer they put NPF ( no problem found) but the service rep said the piston was knocking and they had no fix yet from GM. I am still in SHOCK! Does anyone know anything about this?
    excessive main bearing clearances....all known to GM. Only solution is to either redo it or replace the motor. GM will do neither.
  • 2timer2timer Member Posts: 27
    I have had this very odd brake problem that only occurs from time to time. The brake pedal will sink to the floor(all the way) This all started after my master cylinder was replaced after my ABS warning light came on almost a year ago. I have a clunking noise in the steering(may finally be fixed still testing) rattles all over the truck. I also have a steering wheel vibration that got worse after they replaced the steering shaft. It also not only pulls to the right but to the left as well(whichever dir you turn the wheel it stays in that dir. of course the Dealer has all kinds of answers as to how this is all normal. last time I told them I really had to buy some waders before coming back cos it was getting very deep.
    So looks like I will be making my third round of arbitration hearings
    How many does it take?
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Sounds like he is going for a TKO

(sorry had to say it)
  • 2timer2timer Member Posts: 27
    This one better be the last one! I get the feeling that these guys just do not know how to work on these trucks. The zone rep meant well but he left the dealership to work on it.
    Ever figured on a zone rep and what he/she has to go through day by day with all those quality GM vehicles out there. I talked to a regional rep who handles BBB claims. He was telling me that he thought he saw it all before working for GM....he couldn't believe how wrong he was.
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    these zone or regional reps have a good thing going-job security!!
    burn out. 12-14 hour days handling complaints. That's no way to make a living...even with employee discounts...hmmmm...I wonder who THEY complain to about their problems?
    They probably complain to their other half at home! Just thought I'd mention also that with the help of these sites, I was able to pass along the info for another party to successfully get a buy back on their shaking Sierra.
  • gmc_grizgmc_griz Member Posts: 2
    I have been reading the post on this site and it helped me get a problem fixed (though not under warranty) with the intermediate shaft.

I am now having a problem where the lite will go out that shows you are in 2 HI (or whatever) and moments later the message center shows a warning "Service 4 Wheel Drive". If I stop the vehicle and restart the condition is reset (which makes me think it is electrical)... I have also seen examples where I had to "tap" the 2 HI button to get the lite to comeback on and stay on. If I can get this lie to stay on then the message center never records the failure. Once the error has been displayed in the message center it can only be reset by turning off the key and re-starting. Once this happens I cannot switch to 4 wheel drive or get any mode to stay lit.

I drive 18 miles to work and rarely does the light come on... but on longer trips it comes on frequently.

I stopped by the dealer and they stated that there would not be an error stored in the computer and it would probably cost quite a bit to trouble shoot... any ides?

The vehicle doesn't have any problems or make any noises but I am concerned I will damage the vehicle.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!
  • blair223blair223 Member Posts: 20
    I have a 2000 Chevy 2500 4x4 6.0L with autotrac and have seen a similar problem, but only twice. It happened one morning near the end of my commute of about 50 miles. I was in 2 Hi and the "Service 4 Wheel Drive" Message came on. Could not go into 4 Hi. When I got back in the truck after work it was fine. Then it happened again just before I got home. Once I stopped and restarted it was fine. That was 3 months ago and it has not happened since.

Dealer found nothing wrong. The only thing unique about that day was that it was slushy out (late winter in NY)

I posted a question about it in one of these forums but no one had much to say about it. Seems to be a pretty rare problem.

Blair
  • tvrc18tvrc18 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone heard what sounds like an exhaust leak on the 5.3 motor? It shows up mostly in od with low rpm's about 1400 or so. Sometimes does it at takeoff from a stop. Also has a low speed hicup when the automatic trans is in 2nd and low rpm's again about 1400. Have also started to notice a thud at stops when you first release the brakes and are about to accelerate. It is an early 2000 model purchased about Dec 1999.
  • eater_33062eater_33062 Member Posts: 34
    t, does it sound a slight header to blok noise? very faint,& sometimes goes away when hot. if so & u fnd a cure let me no. about clunk check #134 on chevy rados problems,helped me. oby got a grt. write up . might help you. lh gd luk
  • tvrc18tvrc18 Member Posts: 2
    eater -That post #134 sounds like it is for 4 wheel drive and I have a 2 wheel drive.That ehaust sound does not seem to be temp related it does it at any time. Think I read something about removing the heat shield on exhaust manifold.
  • eater_33062eater_33062 Member Posts: 34
    t, didnt no it was 2wd, could b heat shield not sure,the clunk could b caused by lack of lube in drive shft slip joint. heard of that before in 2&4 wd trks wit 5.3- 99,&2000 yrs worth a check. lh
  • diggersgmcdiggersgmc Member Posts: 10
    Has anybody out there had problems with the rear wing windows leaking when running the blower on higher speeds. This problem has me ????....
    '99 GMC Sierra Ext. Cab 4x
    Wind Noise from Body Side Quarter Window (Replace Body Side Quarter Window Assembly) #99-08-48-001A
    Wind Noise from Body Side Quarter Window (Replace Body Side Quarter Window Assembly)
    1999-2000 Chevrolet and GMC C/K Extended Cab Pickup Models (Silverado and Sierra)

Built Prior to February 1, 2000

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2000 model year, remove service procedures, and change the part numbers. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 99-08-48-001 (Section 08 -- Body and Accessories).

Condition
    Some customers may comment on wind noise coming from either of the body side quarter windows while driving with the quarter windows closed. The wind noise may be more noticeable at speeds over 56 km/h (35 mph).

Cause
    An insufficient seal of the window frame to the body or an improper window latch length may cause this condition.

Correction

A new body side quarter window kit is available to correct this condition. This window kit includes the window frame and glass, three frame centering screws that reinforce the sealing of the window frame to the body, and an instruction sheet. The window frame also features a reinforcement latch tab to improve latch efforts and function.

Replace the applicable body side quarter window on affected vehicles. Use the appropriate part number listed below.

Refer to the applicable Service Manual for quarter window removal and additional installation procedures. Also refer to the instruction sheet provided with the window kit for installation information.

Parts Information
    Part Number Description
    88935198 Window Kit, Body Side - LH (except RPO AJ1)
    88935199 Window Kit, Body Side RH (except RPO AJ1)
    88935200 Window Kit, Body Side LH (w/RPO AJ1)
    88935201 Window Kit, Body Side RH (w/RPO AJ1)

Parts are expected to be available from GMSPO on 9-18-00.

Warranty Information
    For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation Description Labor Time
    C0546 *Hinge, Quarter Glass Swing Out - Replace (Right) (3 and 4 Door Models) 0.5 hr
    C0547 *Hinge, Quarter Glass Swing Out - Replace (Left) (3 Door Models) 0.8 hr
    C0547 *Hinge, Quarter Glass Swing Out - Replace (Left) (4 Door Models) 0.5 hr
    Policy: S Add 0.3 hr if the vehicle is delivered to and from the repair location. *NOTE: Also referred to as frame.

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
  • dansa2dansa2 Member Posts: 28
    THEMAILMAN1 and RICSCH I have been to the dealer 4 times with front end vibration. Tires have been balanced twice then all 5 replaced and balanced twice more. Most recent was 45 miles ago, dealer said all 4 tires were out of balance.17,000 miles on truck. Dealer says my vin # is not among those for replacement parts on current service bulletins. The dealer is currently talking to gm service reps to figure out what to do with my truck. In the mean time, what have you two done to get your vehicles replaced or repaired. What steps could i take? you can e-mail me aajettt@aol.com
    I e-mailed you some info.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    I've been reading until I'm going cross-eyed trying catch up with the posts on the miff. Sites. My '02 Sierra -cab has the hop, or bounce or whatever we're calling it. Mild at 65 and BAD at 70. Am I understanding correctly that the Dealer doesn't really have a fix for this? Let's see I can carry a few hundred pounds to make it less right? And try the velvet ride shackles? But can the DEALER fix it? Has 5600 hi on it and I haven't had it in for anything yet. Absolutely hate to have to go back to a Dealer. Only way I can do it is leave in the evening, rent a vehicle and pick it up the next day. Sucks! Thanks for the info.
    apparently you're better off to NOT use spell check! Diff. NOT miff, mi (as in miles) NOT hi.
    tx 2002 sierra?
    OK,sorry that was MY typo. It's 2001.
    BTW...I can't understand why I never saw anything about GM coming out with the 1500HD. I almost bought a Ford "Screw" but wanted the LS1. I would have waited if I had only known. Nothing in Motor Trend, nothing in Sport Truck. When I first saw it mentioned I figured it was a typo. Finally I came to Edmunds, checked GM and there it was.
  • diggersgmcdiggersgmc Member Posts: 10
    thanks to obyone for the info.
    stopped by dealership after work and had the get parts ordered.
    glad it worked.

dansa2

My truck's VIN didn't qualify either. However, District rep made exception and told dealer to go ahead and do the TSB anyway cause the only other option was to pursue buyback as I wasn't about to drive the truck with no vibration.
  • gene1225gene1225 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 5.3 liter 4WD automatic Sierra with less than 5000 miles. Six times the past three months - after the engine is warm - the engine will not start. If I wait approx. 12 minutes before I attempt to re start the engine, it starts right up. The service engine light does not come on (no fault codes are stored in the computer). Another problem, that may or not be related, the "Security Light" does no go off occasionally after starting the vehicle. I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks, Gene1225
  • stogeystogey Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 GMC 1500 5.3L that I really love. However, I have had a sound eminating from the front end like something is loose. I have taken it to a good friend that is a mechanic. He also owns the Goodyear dealership in our town. He cannot find anything but verifies that what I am hearing is not normal. He is also an avid GM fanatic. I shopped this truck around before buying. I must have driven about 20 different trucks at 5 different dealerships. Several had the "bounce" in the front ends at 65 - 70 and the shimmy at those speeds. I just kept test driving and talking to salesmen, who did not know anything about shimmy problems until I found this truck. It has less than 9000 miles on it and I am leary about taking it in. It seems that when the Dealerships start working on the front ends, they continue to have to work on the front ends. I don't remember, nor can I find anything about this particular problem. It sounds like the shock is loose, but I can't find anything. Has anyone else experienced this?
    need a solution...post the facts. Sounds like something loose in the front end is of no help. If you give the details of your problem. i.e. when it happens and under what conditions...others who are not associated with Goodyear may be able to help you.

Good luck.
    obyone,

It happens all of the time and at all speeds. When I say that it sounds like something is loose in the front end that is the best I can equate the noise. When I go over bumps it sounds like something (like a shock) is "swinging" loose at one end and hitting a stop, much like a pendulum. I have had great luck with this truck up to this point. I had read about the vibration problems with the Silverados and Sierras and found that same problems with most of the trucks I test drove. I found this truck and it didn't have the vibration and hasn't had any problems with the tires to this point even though they are the Generals. However, this problem is only around with I go over bumps. If I yank the wheel one way or the other at low speeds (5 - 10 mph) it will occasionally do it also. I know it sounds weird, and I use to work on my own cars, but that is what it sounds like. I have had it in the shop once because a ball joint went out and my buddy thinks that they may not have put the spring back in the proper position. It was at 6,000 miles. I have had this almost a year and, as you can tell, I don't drive it much since I have a company vehicle that I drive to and from work. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    that needs replacing. It is very common on the '99 and '00 and it doesn't matter whether it's a 4wd or 2wd. Inspection of the steering shaft will reveal nothing as it will look normal. The sound it best described as a clunk, is felt in the steering, and usually happens making turns over semi-rough surfaces. If this describes what's happening, post your reply and I can either email or post the TSB.
    It is not just when making turns over rough surfaces. It is apparent when going over OR turning on rough surfaces. I am at a loss. However, I will be taking it in to the shop in the morning and would like the TSB on the steering shaft as that bears knowing.

Thanks
    Note: there are drawings that can't be transferred. I don't think the dealer would need them, but if you do, email me with you email address and I'll send it to ya.

Steering, Upper Intermediate Shaft - Clunking Noise

File In Section: 02 - Steering

Bulletin No.: 00-02-35-003

Date: June, 2000

TECHNICAL

Subject:
    Clunking Noise Under the Hood and can be felt in the Steering Wheel (Replace the Upper Intermediate Steering Shaft Assembly)

Models:
    1999-2000 Chevrolet and GMC C2/K1/K2 Pickup Models (Silverado and Sierra) 2000 Chevrolet and GMC C/K Utility Models
    (Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon, Yukon XL) With Recirculating Ball-Type Steering

Condition

Some customers may comment on a clunk type noise coming from under the hood that also can be felt in the steering wheel. These conditions may be more noticeable when turning at low speeds on rough road surfaces.

Correction

Parts Information

Parts are expected to be available 6-16-00 from GMSPO.

A new upper intermediate steering shaft assembly has been developed to correct these conditions. Replace the upper intermediate steering shaft assembly on affected vehicles with the new upper intermediate steering shaft assembly P/N 26085548. Use the following service procedure and part number listed.

1. Set the front wheels in the straight-ahead position.

2. Set the steering wheel in the LOCK position.

3. From inside the vehicle, remove the upper bolt from the upper intermediate steering shaft (1) to the steering column connection.

4. From under the hood, remove the lower bolt that connects the upper intermediate shaft to the steering gear coupling shaft.

5. Remove the upper intermediate steering shaft assembly.

^ From inside the vehicle, slide the shaft down and off the steering column shaft.

^ From under the hood, slide the shaft towards the dash in order to disengage the shaft from the steering gear coupling shaft.

^ From inside the vehicle, slide the upper intermediate shaft through the dash boot seal and remove the shaft.

6. Install the upper intermediate steering shaft through the dash boot seal and slide the lower end into the steering gear coupling shaft.

7. Raise the upper end of the intermediate steering shaft and install into the steering column shaft.

8. Install the upper bolt and nut.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolt to 47 N.m (35 lb ft).

9. Install the lower bolt and nut.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolt to 50 N.m (37 lb ft).

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use the table.
  • gwallnegwallne Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if the vibration problems with the 2001 Silverado 1500 or Sierra still exist.
    I am about to purchase a new truck ( the old 78 Ford is really rusted ) and have some concern about these problems posted on the boards. I really like the GMC drivetrain and interior opposed to the Ford. Like most of you know , a little research goes a long way in avoiding buying inherit design problems in a $20K + vehicle .Thanks
    the vibrations never existed. Other than that, I haven't seen one on a 1500 lately...now the 2500HD has seen some.
  • gwallnegwallne Member Posts: 3
    In reference to post #190 I was concerned about the infamous shakearo problem with the front end at speeds of 35 and 65 mph. I know that extra frame supports were added for the 2001 model year and some changes were made to the steering but GM hasn't put the sliding window
    back as a option . It was removed on the 1500 due to leakage and breakage from undercarriage frame flexing from the new designed frame.thanks
  • hunter48hunter48 Member Posts: 30
    It sounds like you have a bad tire try rotating your tires around rear to front.
    I drove 200 miles on an asphalt highway this past weekend and did not experience the bounce at 70 mph that I do on the concrete that I drive on every day.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    North I35 out of Round Rock, Texas has a stretch that will make you swear you have a tire out of balance. It is a ripple in the concrete that is just the right spacing that will make it feel like a tire is out of balance at 65. Turn around and go south and the vibration disappears.

Jim
    that causes the bounce in certain areas on concrete highways....
    could that be dried "hot liquid magma?"
    the cooled magma is smoother than the concrete...and it's free.

• cowboyjohn1cowboyjohn1 Member Posts: 125
    I did get some bounce coming back from Seattle on Interstate 90. In fact at about 85 I decided I had better slow down or my guts couldn't stand it much more - kinda like a stiff legged horse in a trot. I was looking at the surface and could see some ripples, probably from trucks. I am not sure if the wheel base is just the right length to amplify this, or whether the shocks are not quite stiff enough, or both. When I get to Calif., I am going to have stiffer front shocks put on.
    cowboyjohn
    the stiffer shocks will get you a stiffer bounce.
    Jim, I drive 183 every day between 620 and 290. Will be going up I-35 next weekend. Another thing that's worse on this '01 than my '99 is the harshness when you hit a bump. Even a small one. Both vehicles with the "smoothe ride" suspension. I'm very dissastisfied with that. The "bounce" sometimes is so bad that you're sorry you ate that last burrito! Usually at it's worst on a slight upgrade.

john
This discussion has been closed.