Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Lexus GX 460 Lease Questions

CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
edited January 2014 in Lexus
Hi everyone. Please use the following discussion to post any questions that you have about leasing a Lexus GX 470. Thanks.

Car_man
Host
Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums

Comments

• geezer52geezer52 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering trading in my 2002 GMC Yukon, which I purchased for a GX470. The dealer is pushing lease stating save your money...but to me it looks like I get no equity, however the residual on the GX470 is so good I may want to buy it in 3 years...should I lease or buy it.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi geezer52. While Lexus August lease program for the GX 470 was pretty good, it is not providing any sort of lease support on it in September (the new program actually did not start until September 6th). As a result, if I was in the market for this truck, especially if I planned on purchasing it at lease-end, I probably would just pay cash for or finance it. It is in your best interest to get pre-approved by a local bank, credit union, or bank that does business on-line to finance this truck prior to discussing financing with any dealers. Getting pre-approved will give you an idea of what sort of interest rate to expect and may motivate the dealer that you get your truck from to try to beat the rate that you already have.

Car_man
    Host
  • gap4jasongap4jason Member Posts: 54
    Is this good?

2005 GX 470
    with Nav, NO Rear Ent System (can install at $1500 extra)
    The best price I got was for $45,717 (invoice price)

Lease for 36 months
    15,000 miles
    $1500 down
    $653 month (tax included)
    MF .00188
    RV $29,252.72

Is this good? :confuse:
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Car_man will need the MSRP of the vehicle to give you an opinion on the lease price.. Also, is the $1500 down a cap cost reduction, or the entire amount due at signing?

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• delaxdelax Member Posts: 4
    Just requested a lease quote from a philly area dealer for a 36 Mo 15K lease on a 2006 GX470. I still have to receive the email quote but lexus.com had a special lease deal thru Nov 22 (I beleive it is nationwide) with a money factor of 0.0019 which translates into an APR of 4.56%. Is this a good deal for someone with a FICO score of more than 750. Additionally, what is the current (Oct) RV for a 2006 GX 470. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!
    Heres a quote I received a short while ago for a 2006 GX 470 with Mark Levison, Navi, 3rd row and DVD entertainment - fully loaded
    MSRP $54,658
    Cap Cost $51,524
    Money Factor 0.0021
    RV $32,794.8
    36 Mo and 15K miles per year
    Lease quote $760 per month inclusive of taxes ($697+$63)
    Please let me know if this is a good deal
    Thanks
    Additional Info that I forgot
    Zero Down
    Hi delax. The 2006 GX 470 is one of the few models that Lexus is providing lease support on this month. The .00190 lease money factor that you were quoted for this truck is right in line with Lexus Financial Services' buy rate money factor for it. This is as low as it gets for this truck, even for someone with a great credit score like yours. LFS' current 36 month, 15,000 miles per year residual value for a lease of a 2006 GX 470 without the navigation or entertainment systems is 58%.

Car_man
    Host
    Delax, you are being given a $3,000 discount on a truck that has a whopping $6,000 margin between its full MSRP and dealer invoice prices. If you are in an area where there is a decent level of competition, I would not be surprised if you were able to get a little more than $3,000 off of this truck. For additional feedback on how much you should expect to pay, stop by the following discussion: george05, "Lexus GX 470: Prices Paid & Buying Experience" #, 5 Sep 2003 7:02 pm.

I'm not sure why the money factor that you mentioned in this post is higher than the one that you mentioned previously, .00210 versus .00190, but unless you are having your security deposit waived it would be in your best interest to insist that the dealer that you are working with use the .00190 factor to calculate your truck's lease payment.

Car_man
    Host
  • tcmotorcitytcmotorcity Member Posts: 11
    Can you tell me the residual value (%) for 36/15k and 36/12K for a 2006 GX 470 with Nav, Mark Levison, and DVD. MSRP is $55,360. Thanks.
  • msizzlemsizzle Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I will be getting a 2006 GX 470 loaded including the sport package next month. We visited the dealer yesterday to look and see what they offered. Here's the deal, it seems to me he is not offering me much. I will be leasing for 36 mo. 15,000 miles per year.

MSRP: 57358.00
    Cap cost: 54358.00
    Residual: 32120.46
    $816.00 per month
    money factor: he said 5.5% ( I have no idea what that means)
    I live in MN so taxes now have to be paid up front so the 816.00 I dont think includes a tax payment per month.
    We are putting no money down other than 1st payment and license fees.

Can anyone tell me if he is being fair? There are only 2 Lexus dealerships in MN and they are owned by the same company.

Thanks so much for responding!
    Here is the information that you are looking for tcmotorcity. According to the latest information that I have seen, if you were to lease a 2006 Lexus GX 470 the with navigation and entertainment systems through Lexus Financial Services right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00190 and 56%, respectively. The money factor for an otherwise identical lease with only 12,000 miles per year would be the same, but its residual value would be 2% higher.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello msizzle. The selling price that you were quoted for the GX 470 that you are interested in looks reasonable to me, but you still may want to stop by the following discussion to compare it to the prices that other community members have paid for similar trucks lately: george05, "Lexus GX 470: Prices Paid & Buying Experience" #, 5 Sep 2003 7:02 pm. Let's calculate a lease payment on the truck that you are interested in using Lexus Financial Services' actual lease program and see what we come up with. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2006 Lexus GX 470 with both the navigation and entertainment systems (you said it was loaded, let me know if it does not have these options), an MSRP $57,358 and a selling price of $54,358 through Lexus Financial Services right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $783. I used a money factor of .00190 to calculate this truck's payment. This is equivalent to an interest rate of around 4.56%. You should be able to qualify for this exact factor if your credit is in good shape and you pay a security deposit at lease signing. It sounds as though this dealership may be marking up your truck's money factor a little bit to add additional back-end profit to your deal. However, given the lack of competition for your business and the fact that you are not paying a security deposit or acquisition fee at lease signing, I would say that your deal isn't too bad.

Car_man
    Host
  • msizzlemsizzle Member Posts: 2
    Hi Car_man,

Thanks for your input and expertise. I ended up leasing a 2006 GX with Nav., Mark Lev., Sport package and rear entertainment with a MSRP of $57,358 and a negotiated a price of $51,506 through an out of town leasing company. That included shipping. My rate is 5.8% with the money factor corresponding correctly, I forget what it is, but I did check it out. The residual value is $33,180. No money down, no security deposit. I feel pretty good about this deal. What do you think? The rate is a little higher than the other dealer but, I was never offered anywhere near 4.56% anywhere and I checked around. I wonder why that is? My credit score is over 800 too. Oh well, everyone has to make money. Car dealers and leasing companies are not non-profit organizations. I just wanted a good deal that was fair to both parties. Do you think I got one? Thanks for responding. I appreciate it! I get my car this week...delivered right to my door. I cant wait!!!!!

Thanks again,

Msizzle
    You're very welcome Msizzle. You got a heck of a discount on this truck. A base '06 GX 470 has a spread of just over $6,000 between its MSRP and invoice price. You were given a discount of around $5,800 which looks like a good deal to me. It is amazing how much of a spread that Lexus dealers have between vehicles' MSRPs and invoice prices, especially in today's marketplace where many manufacturers are cutting that gap on their products. The money factor that you paid is a little higher than the special factor that Lexus Financial Services is currently providing on this truck though. LFS' current buy rate money factor for a similar lease is .00190, which is equivalent to an interest rate of just over 4.5%. Lexus dealers would have probably tried to mark this truck's buy rate factor up on you to add additional back-end profit to your deal anyhow, so overall I would say that you god a good deal on this truck. You have a very good attitude about thie new car purchase process, you want a fair deal (which I believe you got), but you understand that dealers have to actually make some money to keep their doors open. Congratulations on your new GX and enjoy!

Car_man
    Host
  • nato32597nato32597 Member Posts: 3
    Do you have the residual value for a 48 month, 15k per year lease with the navigation system?

Thanks for your help!
    No problem, nato32597. According to the latest information that I have seen, if you were to lease a 2006 Lexus GX470 without navigation through Lexus Financial Services on or before November 22nd for 48 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00190 and 47%, respectively assuming that you qualify for its top credit tier and pay a security deposit.

Car_man
    Host
  • nato32597nato32597 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Car_man,

I purchased my GX470 at the terms you gave me with nothing down and no security deposit. Of course it was comical when the finance manager initially stuck me with a MF of .0024 on the contract and then played naive about knowing anything about special lease factors on this vehicle. In the end, I purchased my GX 470 with an MSRP of $53,606 for $47,189 or $500 over invoice.
  • txcurtistxcurtis Member Posts: 7
    I see that Lexus offers leasing on their certified pre-owned vehicles. Does this work the same as new cars with preset residuals or will I find much more variation dealer to dealer. We are just beginning to consider this as an option and any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks
    You're very welcome, nato32597. I am glad that I was able to help you out. Enjoy your new truck, it's a nice one.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi txcurtis. Leases of Certified Pre-Owned vehicles are fairly similar to new vehicle leases. The main difference is that banks publish dollar value residuals for used vehicles, instead of percentages. So for instance, a CPO Lexus ES 330 would have a three year residual value of say $15,000 instead of a percentage like 50%. This is a hypothetical example, but you get the idea.

Car_man
    Host
  • skiman5skiman5 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Car-Man-- I have a GX470 with a 25,000 mile lease over 39 months. It comes due by May. The extra miles were purchased upfront for only 10C. We are going over averaging 30,000-32,000 miles per year. As we prepare for the next vehicle we have learned that the near higher mileage charge is 20C /mile. My question is if it were you and you knew that you would be averaging 30-32K /year in miles financially would you lease again for only 24 months, 36 months, or would you buy and hold for 3 years? My feelings have been to walk away after 3 years and 90K miles to go to a new vehicle is the way to go. You thoughts please. Thank you. skiman3
    Car_Man,
    Is there a resource where I can see what these residuals are. I see that many of these pre-owned GX 470s range from 38-42 depending on year model (2003-2004) and equipment (DVD - Navi etc). Can you estimate how much payment may be on a 2-3 year lease at 15K miles a year. I am just trying to find out if this is a feasible option before we go looking and my wife falls in love with a vehicle that we may not be able to afford.

Thanks
    Car-Man,
    I forgot one more very relevant question, with the CPO leases is there a substantial enough monthly savings to justify the CPO versus leasing a new vehicle.

Thanks
  • xraydoc99xraydoc99 Member Posts: 1
    Is it o.k. to ask which national lease comany you worked with that you got that price through - or could you email me with the information.

Thanks
  • skiman5skiman5 Member Posts: 3
    Hello Car-Man,

We have a 39 mo lease on a GX470 with 25,000 miles /year. Has Navigation, 3rd row seat & premuim set up. We purchases the higher miles at a dime extra and if we exceed the amount the charge is $0.15 for miles beyond 25K/year. However we are averaging 32K miles /year. As the vehicle comes off lease in late May 2006 we need to make some decisions which I'd appreciate your guidance on:

Now we hear Lexus charges $0.15 to purchase miles above 12K/year and then $0.20 for miles above & beyond the contracted amount. So if we sign a new lease for a new 2006 GX 470, knowing that we need 32K miles /year can you share what a 24 month lease would cost? Assume no cap cost reduction and 6% sales tax built into the monthly payment.

Could you also comment if you think a 24month vs 36 month lease is in our best interest to stay close to being within the 50K warantee ? In other words on a 2 year lease the 64K miles is closer to the warantee period than say a 36 month lease with 96K miles.

One final question. In your opinion knowing we put a ton of highway miles on our vehicle, do you agree that leasing either 24 months or 36 month leases is more economical for us than purchasing and then trying to sell /trade in the GX with high miles?

Car-man I welcome your guidance and council.

Thanks,

Skiman5
    My gosh you do a lot of driving, skiman5! Where to you live? If I put that much mileage on my vehicle, I probably would purchase it rather than lease it. Theoretically, you would come out around the same if you leased a truck with this many miles and if you paid cash for it and sold it after putting on this many miles, but I personally would never lease a vehicle if I knew that I was going to drive this much. If I needed to drive this much, I would pay cash for or finance a car that gets excellent gas mileage and drive it into the ground. The only reason why I would get an SUV is if I really needed the space.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey txcurtis. Unfortunately, I am not aware of any resource that provides informaiton on banks CPO residual values to the general public. I do not personally keep tabs on CPO lease programs either. If you're interested in leasing a certified GX, make sure to get a quote for what it would cost to lease an otherwise identical brand new truck. You may find that the new one is not that much more expensive to lease, especially with the new attractive "December to Remember" lease program that Lexus is running right now.

Car_man
    Host
  • researcher10researcher10 Member Posts: 1
    I have an lease offer on a 2006 GX470 without NAV and I was wondering if Car-man could tell me if it's a good deal. The Residual and money factors are better than you mentioned but the Capital Cost is higher. After reading on the "Prices Paid" forum I feel like I should be getting a better Capital Cost, but maybe that would just increase the money factor. Here's the deal:

MSRP is around $50,300 Cap Cost $46,600
    Residual 60% Money Factor .0012
    36 month lease term
    $5000 due at signing which includes First Payment $449, Acquistion fee $600, Dealer handling $399 and the remainder ($3552) as cap cost reduction.

I am also confused about the December to Remember sale. This dealer says this lease deal is only good through November. He said the December to Remember sale was just lease deals??? Seems strange.
  • alex123alex123 Member Posts: 36
    Car_man,
    what are the current lease numbers for 30,36,39 M - 12000 miles on fully loaded GX?
    Also I'm currently leasing from Lexus, do I get any discount on a top of that?

Alex
    Hi researcher10. Lexus' "December to Remember" sales event started on November 23rd and it is scheduled to run through January 3rd. All of Lexus' incentives are scheduled to run for this time period. Of course, dealers can tell you that their offer for a vehicle's selling price is only good for a few days or through the end of the month, but if this dealer was willing to sell you this truck for this price then, they probably will be willing to so so in a few weeks. The lease money factor and residual value that you were quoted for this truck, .00120 and 60% for 36 months with 12,000 miles, are right in line with Lexus Financial Services' current program for it. The main thing that I don't like about this deal is the huge capitalized cost reduction that you are being asked to make. I always advise consumers against making any sort of down payment when leasing. I do so for two main reasons. The first is if your vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen during your lease, your insurance company pays off the bank that you were leasing it through and your down payment essentially disappears. The second main reason is that down payments on leased vehicles do nothing to reduce their lease-end purchase prices. So your lease-end purchase option price for your GX 470 would be exactly the same, regardless of whether you had put $3,500 down, or had made absolutely no down payment at all. Also, if the cap cost that you were quoted for this car is its selling price before the deduction of your down payment, it is attractive. However, if it is taking your down payment into account then this truck's selling price is way too high.

Car_man
    Host
    Greetings Alex. If you were to lease a loaded 2006 Lexus GX 470 (with the Navigation and entertainment systems) through Lexus Financial Services right now for 30 months with 12,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00120 and 61%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease should be .00120 and 58%. Lastly, the numbers for an otherwise identical 39 month lease should be .00120 and 55%. The only model that Lexus traditionally provides special owner loyalty incentives on is the LX 470. On other models it will probably waive its security deposit requirement for returning lessees, but that's about it. This offer doesn't really apply right now anyhow given the fact that Lexus is waiving its security deposit requirement for all leases during the December to Remember event.

Car_man
    Host
  • gemini64gemini64 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I have been reading the recent posts on leasing a Lexus GX470. Never done a lease before, so I need some of your expertise before we begin :) With the December to Remember leasing program, which would be the better deal? Negotiating a 2006 or a closeout 2005? Either way, we want it loaded with the sport package. We are looking at negotiating a 36 month lease with 17,000 miles, zero money down and depending on what you suggest a possible trade in. The dealer had on his lot a 2005 loaded with a MSRP of $57,000 just to give you a ballpark figure for our area. My second question is, do you think we would get a better deal if we went directly though a leasing company vs. a dealer? In my research they say to remove the dealer and work with the leasing company because the dealer is merely acting as a middleman? I was curious as to what your take was on this. Thanks for you help!
  • genemachine2genemachine2 Member Posts: 6
    Hi,
    You've quoted the money factor on current 36 mo leases as .00120 This is what a dealer quoted me too. Then when I accepted it, they said I didn't qualify. They told me my FICA score came back 50 points lower than what my own credit report showed. Do dealers have any flexibility, or I am just stuck? Can I do single payment lease to get the lower money factor? Any other suggestions on how to get the best deal?
    Thanks.
  • gemini64gemini64 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I forgot to ask. We are also considering moving in the next year. It is not definite, but highly possible. Some sites say it is ok and our payment would change due to taxes. Then other sites say do not do it cause it will cost you A LOT more $$. Which is true? I'm so confused.
    Thanks. My hopes are to have a new vehicle by Dec 21st...in time to travel home for the Holidays.
  • chrismang1chrismang1 Member Posts: 9
    Hi Car Man:

Please advise MF and res for a Lexus GX470 for 36mos/15k per year. Thanks! I see 36/12k above but not 36/15k. Thanks.
  • phat3phat3 Member Posts: 2
    Hi car man,
    gpt a quote from a leasing Co.MSRP is 53,000 @36mos. and 15,000 miles per year montly payment is 588.00 . The car has DVD entertainment and NAV. T.O.P. is 4,000. I know you would advise not that cash out of pocket but my husband feel this is the only way to keep his payments in the 500s. Please hurry with your advise the deal may happen this weekend. Thank a Million : Phat3
    Greetings gemini64. Since you are new to the world of leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

If you are able to negotiate a low enough selling price on a 2006 model, and according to what I hear consumers have been able to negotiate huge discounts recently, leasing one instead of a 2005 model is definitely the way to go.

The vast majority of banks will not lease vehicles directly to the general public. The ones that are likely to have the best lease program on this car, like Lexus Financial Services and Hahn Financial, definitely won't. So you will not be able to get a better deal by working with a bank directly to lease your new car and will have to work with a dealer.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi genemachine2. In order to get the lease money factor that I mentioned, consumers must qualify for Lexus Financial Services' Tier 1+ credit tier. I don't remember the exact cutoff for this tier, but I believe that it is around 730. Even if you don't qualify for this Tier, you still should be able to get a low money factor, just not quite as low as the top tier would get. You should be able to lower this money factor by pre-paying your lease or by paying additional security deposits if you want.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey gemini64. Moving with a leased vehicle should not be a problem. Each state has its own rules on sales and personal property tax, to they are difficult to generalize about, but even if you do end up owing tax on your leased vehicle it probably will not be all that much.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi chrismang1. The money factor for a lease with 15,000 miles per year would be the same as the one that I mentioned earlier, but its residual value would be 2% lower than LFS' 12,000 miles per year residual.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi Phat3. You never mentioned the selling price of the truck that you are interested in leasing. This is an important number for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing the price of the GX that you want to lease you don't know how good a price you are getting it for. The second reason is that one needs the selling price of a vehicle that they want to lease is that it is necessary to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion on this lease if you let me know what the selling price is.

Car_man
    Host
  • phat3phat3 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, car man sorry about not mentioning the selling price. However the MSRP is about 56,841 including Nav and DVD system. what would be the best neg. price for this vehicle. Remember the total out pocket was 4,000. and a quoted price of 588. per mo. Thanks a Million Phat3
  • hpthpt Member Posts: 3
    Hello, car_man. Looking to purchase a GX470 by year end. Have never leased before and local dealer is strongly suggesting lease is the way to go. Numbers, however, don't seem close to what I see on this forum. MSRP of quoted vehicle is $53,800. Lease is 48 months at 15K miles per year. Money factor is .00235. TOP is $3,145 (no security deposit and $1,500 cap reduction). This TOP is conveniently covered by the $3,200 offered for my 2000 Dodge Caravan (68,000 miles). Will probably try selling that myself if I can't negotiate a better overall deal. Monthly payment comes to $694.75. Seems way too high based on what I'm reading here. I will end up going for a GX470 with the sports package and rear entertainment system so MSRP will be higher. But anyway, what do you think? Do I forget the lease and just go back to purchasing as I have always done? Don't quite know how to assess when the lease would be better than purchase.

Thanks
  • banneheimbanneheim Member Posts: 12
    Dear Carman,
    I would love your expert opinion. I visited a Lexus dealership in Raleigh and here is the deal they proposed after several hours.

Lexus GX470 w/Nav, Mark Levinson Sound, Third Row, Rear Spoiler, Tow Hitch, Preferred Accessory Package.

Lease 39month, 12K/year
    MSRP: $53576
    Final Price: $47535.00
    Residual: 56%
    MF: .00120
    Monthly Payment: $603.13 (already 3% sales tax included)
    First payment due at signing, 0 downpayment, 0 security deposit.

Do I have any more room to negotiate or do I have the best deal available. I must admit, they were very professional and the best customer service I've received but I just hate the "process" of buying a car!
  • genemachine2genemachine2 Member Posts: 6
    Just a note: be sure you qualify for that 120 MF. It only applies to the highest credit scores. I have excellent credit and thought I'd qualify, but at the last minute they told me I didn't, and the deal got significantly worse. Watch out for the B&S (bait and switch):)
    Alright, here is the deal and car I received.
    Lexus GX470 w/Nam, Mark Levinson Sound, DVD, Third Row, Rear Spoiler, Tow Hitch, Preferred package.

Lease: 39month, 12K/year
    MSRP: 55399.
    Final Price: 48216.00
    Residual: 55%
    MF: .00120
    Monthly Payment: $600.00 (already 3% sales tax included)
    First payment paid at signing, 0 down, 0 security dep.

Any thoughts on the deal? This forum was a great help!!! I was first quoted $714.00 month.
  • anandksanandks Member Posts: 26
    hi,
    can u pl. let me know which delear/state you did this deal.
    i am looking at the exact same car with sports package
    MSPR 56891
    final price 51600
    residual 58
    mf .00160
    monthly 653 (tax for 36 months paid upfront)
    first payment is taxes, title,licencse,first month (around 2.4k)

let me know please. i have to make up my mind by tomorrow..please
    Raleigh, NC Johnson Lexus
  • kgb77kgb77 Member Posts: 3
    Hello, car_man. Just signed a deal with Lexus of Riverside. Lease is 36 months at 12K miles per year. Money factor is .00120. Total drive-off is $1000. Monthly payment comes to $549.50. incuding tax. MSRP of $53.5k (NAVIGATION)
This discussion has been closed.