Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3 Lease Questions

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Here you go, jvsa. Mazda's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Mazda3 5-Door GT with an automatic transmission and 15,000 miles per year are .00245 and 59%, respectively. You never mentioned how long you want to lease for or what mileage allowance you need so I had to make some assumptions. Let me know if you want something different.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • cartunescartunes Member Posts: 6
    I would love to get anyone's input on my lease deal I recently received. The car I am interested in is a 2010 Mazda3 Grand Touring Automatic Sedan with the Bose/Moonroof package. Its a 36 months lease with 15,000 miles. I was quoted with $2,000 down the payments would be $339/month. What do you guys think? Can I do better?

MSRP:$24,365
    Invoice:$22,749
  • qsylverqsylver Member Posts: 1
    Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me with Mazda's May buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Mazda3s Sport Sedan with 12,000 miles per year
  • rgebargeba Member Posts: 4
    The 4-yr lease on my Mazda3s ends in two weeks. I was planning to buy the car because I like it, it's been trouble-free, it's in great shape, and the option price is favorable at $8500. Now I discover that the buyout must be done through the dealer (Mazda Credit tells me that technically the dealer owns the car.)

The dealer is tacking on an outrageous $995 admin. fee on top of a $298 document fee (in addition to the title/registration fee) to sell me the car. I think these fees are unjustifiably high and a pure ripoff. I have read the contract carefully, and I think the dealer is legally allowed to do this by the phrase "plus official fees and taxes" added after the purchase option price.

It may be legal, but it's just plain wrong! The dealer is well aware of the resale value of this car, and I think he wants to make an extra $1,000 from me, or he will happily take the car back and resell it for even more.

Do I have any recourse here, or am I truly hosed for the admin. fees if I want the car?
  • kingpcgeekkingpcgeek Member Posts: 1,051
    Mazda Credit tells me that technically the dealer owns the car.

I have never heard of such a thing. If this is indeed true Mazda is quite the opposite of any other lease I have seen. In every other lease I have seen the finance company owns the lease, and the selling dealer has zero to do with the car once it is sold. The only thing they do with the car when it comes off lease is store it for Mazda until it is carted off to auction.

I really think you are getting bad information on this. If this were true why are you able to return your car to another dealer if you have moved? Mazda Lease Return

Official fees are governmental fees that you are required to pay like title and registration, not fees that the seller might add on.
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
    kingpcgeek,
    I have leased several vehicles in my life, and this is the first instance where the dealer is involved to this degree. I did notice at the top of my Lease Agreement, I am listed as the "Lessee", the dealer is listed as "Lessor", and the "Holder" is CAB East LLC. The car is registered to CAB East LLC. The Agreement is a Mazda American Credit document.

I hope I'm getting bad info, but it came from a MAC representative. She said any additional fees to buy the car are between the dealer and me. I plan to call them again to make sure.

I had assumed that "official fees" were related to title and registration, but I'm not sure that is the legal definition.
    Hi qsylver. Mazda's May lease program is scheduled to run through today, June 1st. I will give you the details of that program now. Please feel free to check back with me in a few days for an idea of what the new June program is like.

Mazda's May buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Mazda3s Sport Sedan with 12,000 miles per year are .00245 and an outstanding 65%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi rgeba. Someone at Mazda actually told you that the dealer owns the car? That doesn't seem right at all. The bank that leased you your vehicle owns it. Having said that, I can see where negotiating a lower end-of-term purchase price might be a little difficult on a Mazda that you leased several years ago.

Mazda used to have its own captive finance company, Mazda Credit. Mazda Credit is no more. Mazda now runs all of its official leases through Chase, but since you leased your Mazda3 several years ago your deal was run through Mazda Credit. It is entirely possible that there isn't enough people left at what once was Mazda's captive finance company to negotiate purchase prices on leased vehicles on an individual basis. Mazda Credit could have laid everyone off and farmed out almost all of the lease return process to Mazda's dealer network. That's one possible explanation for this situation.

Whatever the story is here, over $1,000 in fees for you to purchase your leased vehicle is absolutely nuts. Even if the car was a great deal, I personally would almost feel compelled to walk away from it out of principle. Have you tried visiting another Mazda dealer. You do not have to return your car to the original dealer that you leased it from. Perhaps a different dealer would be more reasonable and only take a couple hundred bucks onto this transaction.

Car_man
    Host
    Car_man,
    Yes, someone at Mazda Credit did tell me that the dealer owns the car, and yes, you are correct, this is NOT true. I made a few follow-up calls to to the Mazda Credit 800 number, and it seems to me that it is a call center staffed with people with differing amounts of knowledge and savvy. I finally got to someone at Ford Leasing services, and she verified that they (Mazda American Credit) own the car. She also confirmed that the lease buyout had to be done through a dealer, preferably the original leasing dealer. She agreed the amout of the admin. fees sounded unusual. It seemed that it would be OK to try a different dealer.

I am going to call a few dealers today and see what they say. I am a bit concerned that they may want to "protect" the original dealer so that they don't hurt their relationship with them if they need a favor down the road (getting a specific car, etc.).

I also plan to talk to the owner of the original dealer since the sales manager said that only he can make any decision related to fees.

Like you, I am so irritated my these unjustifiable fees that I would rather walk from the buyout rather than give this dealer any more money.
  • nycarguy2nycarguy2 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone happen to have the current June residual and money factor for a 36/12 lease on both the S Sport and Grand Touring models?

Thanks!
  • jvsajvsa Member Posts: 9
    Thanks Car_Man!, I am looking at a 36mo lease but was leaning towards 12k mi per year. I should have mentioned that, sorry. I am not sure if there is much of a difference between 12k and 15k in terms of the residual?
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    It seems like they are not truly honoring the sale price. Your payment should be that without the $2,000 down! They are making it seem like they are giving you a good sale price, but your $2,000 bumps it back up.

Be careful! Great car though... what color are you going to pick? I love the pearl white!
  • dchodcho Member Posts: 33
    I just came from the dealership. For a 2010 Mazda 3 GT Sedan with MT and Moonroof/Tech package on a 36/12 lease, I was quoted a residual of 59% of MSRP with a MF of 0.00241, no money down with a drive off of 781. Negotiated price of 23,181 which comes out to about 379 a month. Any thoughts on whether this is a good deal?
  • amvb_nycamvb_nyc Member Posts: 3
    Car_Man,

Can you provide the money factor and residual for a 2010 Mazda3 4 Door i Sport Automatic? I'm looking for a 36/39/42 month lease and 10k/12k mileage.

What fees and monthly payments should I expect to pay for this? New York tax rates.

Thank You
    Thanks for the update, rgeba. Good luck and make sure to let us know how the story ends.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello nycarguy2. Here's the information that you're looking for. Mazda's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Mazda3 s Sport with 12,000 miles per year are .00241 and an amazing 65%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a '10 Mazda3 s Grand Touring are .00241 and 61%.

Car_man
    Host
    No problem, jvsa. The residual values for leases of Mazda vehicles with only 12,000 miles per year are 2% higher than its 15,000 mile per year residual values.

Car_man
    Host
    Here you go, amvb_nyc. Mazda's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Mazda3 i Sport with 12,000 miles per year are .00241 and 64%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 39 month lease are .00231 and 61%.

If you were to lease this car with only 10,000 miles per year, its residual values would be 1% higher.

Car_man
    Host
  • amvb_nycamvb_nyc Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Car Man.

I visited the dealership last Friday and I negotiated a price of $216 a month for 39 months and 10k miles. This is with $1800 cash due at signing which includes all taxes, bank fees, etc. Is this a good deal? For a car with an MSRP of 17495 I feel like this price is still high.
  • scubadoo2scubadoo2 Member Posts: 13
    Returning my BMW 335i (very sad) for a 2010 3 Hatch with Tech and Roof. MSRP is $25,860. Got about $2,000 off. Leasing it for $346 month/15,000/36 months with tax and bank fee up front. Residual is 59%. MF was crap at .00241.
  • dfwguy2dfwguy2 Member Posts: 2
    This is my first time leasing a car, and I'm trying to make an educated decision. I'm looking to lease a Mazda 3 I Touring w/ the exctra speakers/Moonroof package.

For a 15k mile/year lease:
    -One dealer is offering residual value of 52% of sticker with a MF of .00083, and a monthly payment of $285 with no money down (first payment only)
    -The other dealer is offering residual of 61% of sticker with a MF of .00241, and a monthly payment of $272 with $1,700 down (plus first payment)

Car Man, do you have any advice? What are June resid and MF for this model? Do these numbers seem off?

Thanks!
  • khanectionkhanection Member Posts: 20
    Since the residual and money factor are set by Mazda and not the dealer technically they should not be different...
    There is more then one bank that does leases. Once dealer could be using Chase (Mazda), the other dealer could be using US Bank for example.
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
  • ad79ad79 Member Posts: 4
    Here is the offer I received via email -
    Grand Touring package with manual transmission listing for $23565 and selling for $22092. To lease this vehicle with minimum out of pocket for first payment and in fees ($750) is $367 to $371 per month, oac. With automatic transmission it sells for $22745 and leases for $371 to $375 per month.

I don't think this is a good offer. What do you guys think?
  • khanectionkhanection Member Posts: 20
    i'm also looking at the 2010 GT AT with all packages. If it will cost me $375 i'd rather pay $50 extra per month and try getting a Lexus IS 250 AWD with Luxury for that price...

Someone in the Lexus IS forums got the IS for $411 per month with nothing out of pocket... but they put down MSD which is sort of like a deposit...

375 is high for the Mazda IMO... sounds like you haven't negotiated yet...?
    You're very welcome, amvb_nyc. Congratulations on getting your new 3. It would be much easier for me to evaluate this deal if you were able to provide me with this car's selling price.

Car_man
    Host
    Welcome dfwguy2. Since you are new to the world of leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

In short, the best way to negotiate a lease (at least in my opinion) is to negotiate the lowest possible selling price on the vehicle that you are interested in and then have the dealer calculate your monthly payment using its buy rate lease money factor. Mazda's July buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Mazda3i Touring with 15,000 miles per year are .00039 and 50%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • banshee24banshee24 Member Posts: 5
    I was offered a Mazda 3 i Touring with the sunroof/Bose package with a residual of 57% and money factor of 4% $1500 cash down plus $2000 for my trade. 42 Months 12,000 miles a year payments are 211 a month that is inlcuding tax. Is that a good deal? I hate spending money and I get nervous everytime I make a big purchase.
    Can't tell you what kind of deal it is because you did not include the selling price of the car. Also a general rule is that you don't lease longer then the warranty, so in the case of a Mazda 36/12.

You do not want to put that much money ($3,500) down on a lease. Perfect explanation why from leasecompare.com:

Because you pay for the use of a vehicle during a lease, you should put as little money down as possible, up front. Although putting money down can lower your lease payments (by reducing your capitalized cost) in most cases it cannot be regained in the event of early termination due to a loss.

For example, a customer once leased a Toyota 4Runner and put $3,000 down as a cap reduction. Five months later the vehicle was totaled in an accident. The client's insurance paid its portion of the lease payoff and Gap Insurance paid the balance. Our client walked away with only paying his insurance deductible but he did not get reimbursed for his initial down payment of $3,000. It was lost.

The moral of this true story is to put as little money down as possible,ideally no money down. Here are some other things to consider:

- Money down is taxable
    - Take the money you would have put down and invest it
    - Put your down payment in a savings account and use a portion each month to help make your lease payment
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
  • tbrouillardtbrouillard Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Nissan Sentra Spec V lease that is up in October. I am looking to terminate the lease this month to get into either a mazda 3 hatchback sport with moon and tech package or a gt base model. I have $1850 in excess milage on the sentra and 3 remaining payments at $350/payment. I am looking for the current money factor as well as residual so I can figure out which dealer is giving me the best deal. Also, I am looking to do this with just 300 down. Can you tell me if this is possible on either models and if so, what can I expect to be paying with the above criteria. Thanks!
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    Let's deal with one issue at a time....

Current Lease
    You're $1850 over in mileage on the Nissan and you have three months left on the lease @ $350 per month. So if you turned the car in today, you'd end up paying $2900. Not a good thing!

Do you know the residual value of the Nissan (established in the lease contract)? I'm just thinking that you might be better off buying the Nissan for that price rather than paying for the excess mileage. Residual values on leases are usually low-balled somewhat to bump the monthly lease payments up a bit. I would check the contract to see what the Residual Value figure is, then check on Edmunds (and KBB) to see how much the car is actually worth.

Turning it in early- are you wanting to do this because the excess mileage cost for the next three months will be greater than the $1050 in payments? If not, you really should hang on to it until the lease is up.

Current Mazda Lease Specials
    - the only lease special I currently see is on the 2010 Mazda3 s Sport 5-door Automatic (w/ no other options). It's a 42 month lease, $279 per month, $0 due at signing, 12k miles per year (42k over the term of the lease) and $0.15/mile overage.

Buying vs. Leasing- are you sure that leasing your next vehicle is a better choice than buying it? Will you end up having excess mileage on the next car, too? If you drive more than the typical 12-15k per year allowed, buying is almost always the better choice!

Mazda is currently offering 3.9% APR for 60 months on the Mazda3. $22k financed for 60 months at 3.9% would be $404 per month.
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • tbrouillardtbrouillard Member Posts: 2
    I got a quote from a dealer that is a 2010 mazda 3 sport rolling over excess mileage and early termination for $370/month with only $300 down. This is the 42 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. Nissan has a program where they will pay the remaining 3 months of the lease if you turn it in early and lease with them again. What do you think about the mazda lease quote? I think that it is fair based on my conditions. Besides, if I go with a nissan, I can only get a base altima or rogue for the same payments when in reality im looking for something more sporty such as the 3
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    Ouch. I hope 15k is enough for you. $370/mo to rent an economy hatch is alot of money. You don't want to keep digging your hole deeper. So as long as you will keep this the full term and not go over the miles, and if you absolutely must have a new car, then it is what it is. Good luck to you.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• liiveriliiveri Member Posts: 4
    I drove this off the lot yesterday...iTouring w/Bose and Moonroof. What do you think of this lease deal?

MSRP = $20,495
    Price = $18,995 + $595 acq fee
    Term = 36 mo/12K miles
    Residual = 60% ($12,300)
    Money Factor = 0.00179

I paid the ACQ fee up front so adjusted cap = $18,995

My monthly payment = $242

Thanks for your help,
    Eric
  • buzz55buzz55 Member Posts: 1
    2010 Mazda 3 S Hatchback, automatic, moonroof/Bose

Is either/both a good deal? Which is the better deal?

Sales price $19,911 plus $1,424 tax/tags = $21,335 out the door

Buy/Finance $21,335 @ 3.9%/60 month (std current Mazda 3 financing) = $391.96/mo

Lease 36 mos/ 10,000 miles/year; $0 cash out the door, first month pmt included, 35 monthly payments of $318.71; residual $10,687.20, money factor .00050
  • kushalsherpakushalsherpa Member Posts: 3
    Considering to buy a Mazda 3 Sport (Manual) in NH, i was wondering if the Money Factor changes according to the dealers or state or month? What is for this month? What's the Residual value for Mazda 3 sport, 36 or 42 month lease? All i want to do is drive mazda 3s with monthly payment around $179. How much down do i have to put it in? If someone could answers these questions i would really appreciate it !
    MSRP for 2010 Mazda 3 Sport (Manual) is $19990 and the invoice price is $18766. Does anyone know in general how much could the dealers go down from the invoice price? Would be price be different for leasing or buying? Can they go down $1000, $2000 etc?
    Mazda's in general are not good cars to lease so there isn't much traffic here. Why don't you just ask a dealer or two what they are? They can't mess with the residual, but can bump up the MF. If the MF is the same from both you know they probably are not doing so. One problem with leasing from Mazda is that you are actually leasing from Chase, since Mazda credit doesn't write leases anymore. Banks typically have worse terms then manufacturer's credit departments.

FYI you should never lease longer then a warranty. So a 42 month lease should not be an option for you.

You also do not want to "put down" money to get to a certain payment. Perfect explanation from leasecompare.com:

Because you pay for the use of a vehicle during a lease, you should put as little money down as possible, up front. Although putting money down can lower your lease payments (by reducing your capitalized cost) in most cases it cannot be regained in the event of early termination due to a loss.

For example, a customer once leased a Toyota 4Runner and put $3,000 down as a cap reduction. Five months later the vehicle was totaled in an accident. The client's insurance paid its portion of the lease payoff and Gap Insurance paid the balance. Our client walked away with only paying his insurance deductible but he did not get reimbursed for his initial down payment of $3,000. It was lost.

The moral of this true story is to put as little money down as possible,ideally no money down. Here are some other things to consider:

- Money down is taxable
    - Take the money you would have put down and invest it
    - Put your down payment in a savings account and use a portion each month to help make your lease payment
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
  • scubadoo2scubadoo2 Member Posts: 13
    Very good point regarding the "no down payment", however, I would like to add to your other comments. The Mazda 3 is actually a very good car to lease, especially recently. The 3 year residual is around 60% and there are few if any cars around that number any more. Also, you are correct that Chase is underwriting the lease but Mazda provides lease support in terms of residual value. It is my understanding that Mazda assumes the risk for the car being worth less than the residual. If not, I seriously doubt that any bank would be leasing cars anymore except with 30% residuals. Chase wrote off hundreds of millions a few years ago on lease residuals.
    I just got a 2010 Mazda 3i Touring, Base Pkg, Manual Trans for $0 Down, 10000 miles, 36 months lease for $189/month with $295 fee in Ira Mazda Danvers, MA. This was the best deal i could every find. After $1000 down, my payment came out to be $164/month. Even though i go over in mileage, its only 15 cents/mile.

Ira Danvers had the best deal around Mass and New Hampshire
  • danny14danny14 Member Posts: 30
    Could you please give me the August residuals and MFs for 3yr 36k miles leases for:

2009 Mazda 3s GT Auto/hatchback
    2010 Mazda 3s GT Auto+manual/hatchback+sedan

I'd also apprecaite if can indicate the availability of any incentives on the above models that are eligible for leases.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the number of questions.
  • greenicegreenice Member Posts: 41
    car man,

could you please give me the money factors and residuals for August for
    36 months / 36k lease (or a 42 months lease if that is what Mazda is currently
    subsidizing)

2010 Mazda 3s GT 5-door manual transmission

I am in Missouri, if that matters.
    Many thanks!
    Hi kushalsherpa. Mazda's lease program does vary by region, in terms of the cash incentives that are available on its leases. However, I believe that Chase's (that's who Mazda is running its lease specials through now) money factors and residual values are the same nationally.

Chase's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Mazda3s sport with an automatic transmission 15,000 miles per year are .00169 and 62%, respectively. These are surprisingly attractive terms. A 60%+ residual value for a 3 year, 15k lease is particularly good.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey kushalsherpa. Mazda is not currently providing any cash incentives on the 2010 Mazda3 (other than five hundred bucks for people who trade in clunkers). To me, a good deal on this car right now would be as close to dealer invoice as possible. I doubt that you are going to find many dealers that are wiling to sell you one below invoice at this point.

Car_man
    Host
    Greetings danny14. Here's the information that you're looking for. Chase's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Mazda3 s GT with an automatic transmission and 12,000 miles per year are .00169 and 60%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a 2009 model are .00050 and 47%, respectively.

Mazda is not currently providing any cash incentives on leases of the 2010 Mazda3, but it does have $500 on the '09 Hatchback.

Car_man
    Host
    Here's the information that you're looking for, greenice. Mazda's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Mazda3s GT 5-Door with a manual transmission and 12,000 miles per year are .00169 and 59%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • telmaxtelmax Member Posts: 5
    mazda has a summer drive off lease program right now, 42 months and they make 1st payment. Is mazda providing support to get these attractive rates? what are the money factor and residual on this program?
  • davidmbrucedavidmbruce Member Posts: 9
    Having leased in prior years, I am fairly knowledgeable regarding the money factor and residual values, and what has caught my eye is the 61 percent residual on the heavily advertised "zero down" lease on the Mazda 3. I am agonizing on what to do and would appreciate your opinion. Is that particular lease "a no brainer" meaning that Mazda has built in subsidies that i cannot beat with another model, or would it be possible to "upgrade" to a different trim level, ie....with the sound system, moon roof, e.t.c..... essentially using the same money factor and RV? Or is it silly to walk in and negotiate a bit on a different trim level, only to find out that the money factor and RV is much different than the "zero down" advertisement...hope this makes sense, and would appreciate any tips....
  • davidmbrucedavidmbruce Member Posts: 9
    geez, we are thinking the same exact thing. I have made a similar request, and have a feeling that that particular lease(its a mazda3 2010 isport) is subsidized with the high residual(thinkits been posted 61 percent for 39 mos.) to make the payment 229 per month...im hoping to receive word that the residual is as high for the upgrade levels.
  • liiveriliiveri Member Posts: 4
    I bought a 2010 iTouring last month with the roof & Bose pkg and got a 60% residual. Wasn't aware of any special lease deals. The thing you need to watch out on with 42 mo leases is that the bumper to bumper warranty is only good for 3 yrs/36k mi.
This discussion has been closed.