Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Mercedes-Benz M-Class Lease Questions

CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
edited January 2014 in Mercedes-Benz
Hi everyone. Please use the following discussion to post any questions that you have about leasing a Mercedes-Benz M-Class. Thanks.

Car_man
Host
Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums

Comments

• rezultzrezultz Member Posts: 12
    Hi- I am currently looking into the ML350 as a lease option over the BMW X5 4.4i. I've been quote about $720 for the BMW fully hooked up with options. As far as the ML, the Mercedes website quotes an outragous lease rate for a much cheaper vehicle. I'd appreciate any realistic numbers for leasing an ML350 with 12k miles/year for 36 or 39 months.
    Car Details:
    3-Zone Climate Control $750
    Heated Front Seats $690
    Parktronic $750
    SIRIUS Satellite Radio $500
    Packages
    317 Comfort Package $1,450
    319 Lighting Package $890
    320 Entertainment Package $1,080
    323 Air Suspension Package $1,775
    324 Sunroof Package $1,390
    326 Premium Package $6,150
    Roof Spoiler $398
    iPod Integration Kit $299
    Hands-Free Communication System $923
    TOTAL: $58,260

Thanks again. The info on this forum has been the biggest help in doing research on cars. :)
    Has anyone leased an ML350? Anyone been quoted any numbers?
  • 3sklion3sklion Member Posts: 1
    BMW may be qouting you a good deal but keep in mind that the new X5 body will be out one year from now...
  • linodislinodis Member Posts: 5
    i've been shopping around for an suv and we've, narrowed it down to the an X5 3.0 and ML350... the wife really loved the ML350, she's away on vacation and i'd love to surprise her when she gets back and have the car in the drive way...

this is the best deal i've gotten so far, how does it look to you guys, can i do better ?

info...

MSRP. $45K
    Neg price $43K

39 months/ 12K
    $600 tax included
    $1,500 drive off.

what do you guys think, should i pull the trigger ?
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hello rezultz. BMW's lease program on the 2006 X5 is much more attractive than the program that is available on the 2006 Mercedes-Benz ML350 right now. If I personally had to decide between these two trucks, I would pick the X5 without blinking. I would be happy to calculate a lease payment on the truck that you are interested for you in using Mercedes-Benz Credit's actual lease program, however you never mentioned its selling price. This is an important number for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing the price of the truck that you want to lease you don't know how good a price you are getting it for. The second reason is that one needs the selling price of a vehicle that they want to lease is that it is necessary to calculate its lease payment. You may be able to get an idea of how much you should pay for this model by visiting the following discussion: "Mercedes Benz M-Class: Prices Paid & Buying Experience".

Car_man
    Host
    Hi linodis. That certainly is a nice surprise you are planning. The price that you were quoted for the 2006 ML350 that you are interested in, a $2,000 discount, looks reasonable to me. The market for this truck started to soften a little bit once gas prices start to get so high. Let's estimate what this truck's lease payment should be like. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2006 Mercedes-Benz ML350 with an MSRP of $45,000 and a selling price of $43,000 through Mercedes-Benz Credit right now for 39 months with 12,000 miles per year, its zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $602. As you can see, the payment that you were quoted is right in line with what I came up with. If you like the truck, I don't see any reason not to proceed with operation surprise wife.

Car_man
    Host
  • linodislinodis Member Posts: 5
    thanks for the info.... the $600 a month they quoted me was including tax. so i guess it's a really good deal then ?

thanks again,
    LD
  • jkeusjkeus Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone. I have never leased before and am suspicious of the payment Mercedes is giving me. I want to purchase a 2006 ML350 with MSRP 48,000. I am trading in a car with equity of 10,500 after they give me my trade in value. I have tier one credit and they have quote me a 39month lease with 15,000 miles a payment of 540 plus tax/month after I give them the 10,500. Am I getting ripped off? I talked with the business manager and he said that the lease payments are based on a money factor of 0.33 , interest rate of 8% and a residual value of 28,000. Please help
  • smith18smith18 Member Posts: 3
    I was recently quoted approx $737 on a 39month lease with 15k.
    ML350
    Metallic Paint
    Trim Package
    Heated Seats
    Power Gate
    Wood sterring wheel.
    $46,615 with 2k off for 44,615
    62% residual
    .0035 money factor.

this money factor seems a little high to me, does anyone know what the money factor should be for mercedes? I think this lease is still a little pricey. Any suggestions. thanks
    No problem linodis. That sounds like a pretty good deal to me. If you like the truck, go for it.

Car_man
    Host
    Welcome jkeus. Since you are new to the world of leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

In your post, you stated that you are trading in your current vehicle that you have $10,500 worth of equity in. Trading in vehicles is fine when leasing, but it is in your best interest to have the dealer that you are working with cut you a check for your trade rather than using its proceeds as a capitalized cost reduction for your lease. I always advise consumers against making any sort of down payment when leasing. I do so for two main reasons. The first is if your vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen during your lease, your insurance company pays off the bank that you were leasing it through and your down payment essentially disappears. The second main reason is that down payments on leased vehicles do nothing to reduce their lease-end purchase prices. So your lease-end purchase option price for your M-Class would be exactly the same, regardless of whether you had put $10,000 down, or had made absolutely no down payment at all.

The .00330 money factor that the F&I manager at the dealership that you are working with is right in line with MErcedes-Benz Credit's buy rate lease money factor for this truck. This is not a very attractive money factor because Mercedes-Benz is not currently providing any sort of lease support on the M-Class, but the dealer that you are working with is being very straightforward with you in not trying to mark this truck's base money factor up to add additional hidden profit to your deal.

You never mentioned the selling price of the exact truck that you are interested in leasing. This is an important number for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing the price of the M-Class that you want to lease you don't know how good a price you are getting it for. The second reason is that one needs the selling price of a vehicle that they want to lease is that it is necessary to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion on this deal if you let me know what this truck's selling price is.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello smith18. Mercedes Benz Credit's money factors for the 2006 M-Class are indeed very high. this is because Mercedes is not currently providing any sort of lease support on the '06 ML350. As a result, if you were to lease one through its captive finance company, Mercedes-Benz Credit, you would have to use its standard lease program. Its current buy rate standard lease money factor for a 39 month lease for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier and pay a security deposit is around .00330. As I said, it's high but this is the rate that you have to pay to lease this truck right now. I'm surprised how high this model's money factor is given the price of gas right now and the attractive lease programs that are available on some of its competitors like the BMW X5, Acura MDX, and Volkswagen Touareg.

Car_man
    Host
  • spikeya4spikeya4 Member Posts: 10
    Just as an fyi...we just bought a 2006 E350 4Matic, sticker of 57k for $699 a month including NJ state tax, 39 months, 12k a year, no cap reduction, fees of 2k at signing...when he quoted me on a ML350 to replace my current Infiniti SUV, for a 52k car, the price was way into the 700's per month, same terms as above. The salesperson told me to wait until November, possibly December and the money rate from MB Financial will drop on the ML's and they will be able to offer much better pricing. So if anyone is looking to lease a ML, unless you need it now - wait a few more weeks.
  • richleasequestrichleasequest Member Posts: 4
    I have an '02 ML320 ending in December. Started shopping now and can concur with other peoples experiences on the '06's

Here was the old deal:
    Total CT upfront $1298.
    onthly $517 incl CT Tax and 12k /yr on 39mo. lease. with roof, xenons etc.

Currently, there is nothing out there
  • taketheoffertaketheoffer Member Posts: 26
    linodis, are you getting the ML. The pricing looks pretty good compared to what ive seen. Could you share with me what dealer offer you that? Thanx
  • dslstldslstl Member Posts: 6
    The lease you were quoted appear to be very good compared to a quote I got yesterday on a '06 ML350, prem. pkg, entertain. pkg., heated seats, etc. with a list of $50,525; on a 39-mo, 15k per yr, first mo lease and doc fees, $1k discount, the quote was over $900; they used a res value of 62% and a money factor of .0049. Needless to say, I walked.

On Saturday, another dealer in St. Louis quoted me on same equiped car, a lease of $716 same terms, but a $2k discount...not sure of the money factor or res, value used.

Both of these make your lease quote look exceptional...how did you negotiate this? I am assuming yours was an '06 too.
    Thanks for taking the time to share your shopping experience, spikeya4. It's always helpful when community members check in and let everyone know how their shopping for a specific model is going and what the market for it is like right now. Unfortunately, it appears as though Mercedes-Benz is not providing any sort of lease support on the M-Class in November either. It did introduce a special lease on the all new R-Class about a week ago though. Apparently the R hasn't been nearly as well received as Mercedes had hoped it would be. Consumers don't seem to like its styling very much, and I happen to agree.

Car_man
    Host
    Thanks for the follow up car_man...I just noticed on the site that MB updated their Novemeber deals and the ML was missing, as you stated. Luckily, I have a few months left on my current lease, so I am flexible! The salesperson we worked with on the E350 said he had so many ML's in stock and was hoping for a break, looks like he will have to wait a little longer! I agree with you, the R-class is a little too odd for my tastes, they are trying too hard these days to blur the lines between SUV's, mini-vans, and cars.
  • tedritedri Member Posts: 3
    ML350 --- I am being quoted 39 mos lease, prem pkg, sunroof package, heated seats, 15k miles
    $1800 down; $670 /mo.
    Any thoughts on this deal?
    Sounds in line with all the quotes I have gotten. I am assuming tax is not included which either adds around 2K to the drive off or puts you way above $720ish a month. I would suggest you wait if you do not need it right away. Something has to give here either money factor or rebates. It seems like the dealers (who keep calling me) are becoming just as frustrated with the lack of incentives on the ML when compared to the competition There should see some sort of relief in the next few months. I have had the same dealer call me 3xs with the same offer.

Additionally, if you look on the 2006 ML boards you will see a consistent gripe about early build quality, specifically tranny issues. Also many pre-2006 ML owners have been complaining to me about plummeting resales. With those issues combined I could not justify $720 right now for a 6 cylinder sport ute that hasn't gotten consumer praise yet. In a few months MB should be able to catch up with the quality issues and hopefully the price.
    Here is the deal I just got on a 2006 black on black ML350: MSRP $54,650, Comfort Package, Premium Package, Sunroof Package, Entertainment Package, Lighting Package, Heated Seats, Parktronic, Rear Side Airbags, Sirius Satellite Radio, Trailor Hitch, and iPod intergration kit (installed from the the factory). $699/month including NJ tax, no money down, 39 months, 12k a year, $1985 due at signing. Awesome deal. scheduled to be built on the 27th of November (the day after my bday!) and delivered the first or second week of December! The money rates finally came down and the salesperson was great to work with after having just got an E350 4Matic from him last month. It only took a few back and forth calls to get him under $700.
    Congratulations! I have what may be a dumb question... If there is no money down and tax is included what is the 2K out of pocket for?
  • jstshppng1jstshppng1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm trying to figure out if the following is a good deal for 36mo / 15K mi. lease on an 06 ML 350.

1) MSRP $49,085
    2) Sell Price $45,840.91
    3) Fees $1,200 inception fees + $645 acquis fee - $1845 total
    4) Total Cap cost $47,686
    4) money factor .00206
    5) residual 56%

Payment $775/mo incl. tax, $0 drive-off.

- jstshppg
  • robertd1robertd1 Member Posts: 3
    Which New Jersey dealer?

Thanks!
    You're very welcome spikeya4.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi jstshppg. The $3,244 discount that you were quoted for the truck that you are interested in looks very reasonable to me. The lease money factor looks great as well. In fact, it is so good that I doubt your lease is being run through Mercedes-Benz Credit. The last time that I saw its lease program, Mercedes-Benz was not providing any sort of lease support on the M-Class. That means that its money factor for it is currently around .00320 for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier. The residual value that you were quoted is lower than Mercedes' though. This also leads me to believe the lease is through an independent bank.

To give you an idea of what this truck would cost to lease through Mercedes-Benz Credit right now, I just ran some numbers and cam up with a zero down, pre-tax payment of around $742.

Car_man
    Host
  • jules4jules4 Member Posts: 2
    I got a quote on a 2006 ml350 of $577.29/month for 39 months 12,000 miles with $5500(includes taxes) out of pocket. It is for the premium package, sunroof package, heated seats, 18"wheels. The msrp was $49,655. Is this reasonable? Thanks for your help.

Sale price 46,600
    money factor 298
    residual 63% 31,282.65
  • russ11russ11 Member Posts: 1
    Car_Man, I just Leased a 2006 ML350 from my local dealership here in Santa Monica,Ca..I shopped around and the best deal that I could get reads as follows..msrp $45,545.00 appearance package, sunroof package, and entertainment package...$2000.00 total drive-off including 1st month payment and $552.00 month including tax..the sales price was $40,449.00 and money rate was a tier 1 credit .00314 ..it's 39 months and 12K per year...do you think I could have done better or is this about as good as it gets for now????
    First month payment, motor vehicle fees, etc...
    Benzel Busch in Englewood, NJ - the sad part is that car they thought they could get is no longer available - so back to the drawing board....they are having a hard time finding a fully loaded ML350, all of the ML350's seem to be in 47k range that they have or can get their hands on. :(
    Ended up with a ML 350 with a $50 k msrp, $2k down and $620/month pretax, 39 month, 15k mile lease.
    Sounds good. What was total pre-tax drive off? (only ask because of BS inceptions fees)
    about $1900
    Based upon what I have seen here in NY (from a lot of dealers) that is a great deal. Congrats and enjoy your new truck!
    Sounds good! I had to go ahead and order my truck since the other one sold over the weekend, it should be here in January. Black on black, premium package, entertainment package, sunroof package, comfort package, lighting package, 5 spoke 18" wheels, heated seats, Sirius satellite, ipod intergration kit and tubular steel side step bars...MSRP of $54,720, (based upon the amount of trucks being ordered now for delivery in Jan, the salesperson is confident the money factor will stay the same or get better), 699 a month including NJ tax, no money down except drive off fees (1900), 39 months, 12k a year.
  • ike_sdike_sd Member Posts: 3
    Guys & Gals,

I have been negotiating on ML350 and am very close to coming to a conclusion. Here is the offer:

Invoice: $45000
    MSRP: 49000
    Residual: 62%
    Money Rate: 0.00335

This brings the monthly costs between $720 to $750 at 36 months, depending in 12000 to 15000 miles/year.

Here is the catch, I received an email from MBUSA with a new offer and it sounds like they are using Money Rate of 0.0029, which is much better but at 10000 miles/year.

I am planning to head to the dealer trw or the day after, so if you can response with your feedback ASAP, this will help my decision very much.

Cheers.

IKE
    Hi...Havent read anything on this forum regarding ML500 leasing. Has anyone leased or received rates for it? Anyone know the current program for it 36 months/12k miles? Thanks!
    Hi rezultz. I've seen the current lease program for the ML500 and I would be happy to give you an idea of what it is like. If you were to lease a 2006 Mercedes-Benz ML500 through Mercedes-Benz Credit right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00290 and 62%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • y2001y2001 Member Posts: 7
    Hi Car_man. The dealer I am working with claimed that even if I put down 10 MSDs on the ML350 lease, the money factor (0.0029) from the "Winter Event" will still be lower than the standard (0.0035??) - MSD (10 x 0.0001). I am confused as to how the Mercedes MSD works, and he claimed that the money factor deduction has to start with the standard rate, not the special rate.
    Thank you for the help!
    Hi y2001. I think that your dealer was wrong or lying. I don't see why Mercedes' multiple security deposit program has to use the standard lease money factor as a baseline. If you opt to make multiple deposits on your vehicle, they should subtract from the special money factor.

Car_man
    Host
  • y2001y2001 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks Car_man, I asked the finance guy to redo the MSD, and I think they got it right at the end.
    Has anyone heard of any marketing support or low interest rates offered by Mercedes for January on the ML350? My built-to-order ML is set to be here in late Jan and so far the rate doesn't look to be too promising and the salesperson is unsure if that will change. I am a bit nervous as I ordered the car back in early November and agreed upon a price and now it looks like that might all be thrown out the window and I might have to go find another car.
    You're welcome, y2001. I'm glad to hear that everything worked out.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi spikeya4. Mercedes-Benz was not offering any sort of support on the 2006 M-Class in January, but if you haven't taken delivery of your ordered truck yet you are in luck because it is providing a little lease support on it in February. I'd be happy to give you an idea of what this truck's lease program is currently like if you let me know how long you want to lease it for and how many miles per year you need to be able to drive it.

Car_man
    Host
    Thanks Car_man,
    I wound up getting the car for the same $699 a month including NJ tax that I had originally worked with them on - the only difference was they threw in an extra $1k and I threw in $400. So the bottom line was: 06 ML350, MSRP of $54,755, 39 month lease with 12k a year, total drive off costs of $2472.50. The dealership, Benzel Busch in Englewood, NJ, was great and worked around the lack of MB support for the ML.
    Josh
  • boo5boo5 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Car_man,

I'm interested in any info you can provide regarding the ML350 SUV. I'm looking at 36 mos and 12K miles a year. I understand that there might be a promo for 39 mos leases as well. I'm also in NJ, if it matters.
    You're welcome, Josh. Congratulations on your new truck!

Car_man
    Host
    Hi boo5. If you were to lease a 2006 Mercedes-Benz ML350 through Mercedes-Benz Credit right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00260 and 61%, respectively. As part of Mercedes-Benz Credit's special "Value Added" program, these numbers should be good for 39 month leases as well.

Car_man
    Host
  • camicamicamicami Member Posts: 10
    Hi Car_man,

Wish I found this site before I bought my ML 350, but here's my question for you or to anyone:

I just LEASED a 2006 ML 350. I don't know if I got a good deal, so if anyone can reply, I'd appreciate it. I do love the car and it drives fine, I didn't sense the weird transmission jerk or whatever.

The MSRP was 49,835 with premium package, sunroof, heated seats, DVD navigation, power tailgate. I got it down to 45,577, which they told me was already 1,500 below invoice price. With the fees and all, it came out to a total of 46,717. This is a 39 month lease at $628.87 a month, tax included. I kept telling them I wanted below invoice, not at invoice, or over invoice, so hopefully that's what I got.

The initial payment with all fees, etc. and first months lease was $5,300. I thought that was a lot to get the SUV out the door and it didn't seem to reflect the discount they gave me. We started at $5,300 out the door in the beginning of the deal and at the end of the day with their discounts, it was still the same.

please respond and tell me if this is an ok deal. I always buy my car, this is the first time that I've leased. thanks.
  • camicamicamicami Member Posts: 10
    I forgot to add above:
    res factor = 61%
    money rate = 0.00365
This discussion has been closed.