Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercury Mountaineer Lease Questions

CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
edited October 2014 in Mercury
Hi everyone. Please use the following discussion to post any questions that you have about leasing a Mercury Mountaineer. Thanks.

Car_man
Host
Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums

Comments

• tdepoalatdepoala Member Posts: 9
    Hi Car_man, I was looking at the '06 Mercury Mountaineer AWD Convenience Style and wanted to know the money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease at 15,000 miles/year in Pennsylvania.

Thanks,
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi tdepoala. I believe that Ford's lease program for the Mercury Mountaineer varies depending upon what area one is in. If you were to lease a 2006 Mountaineer Convenience AWD through Ford Credit in your area right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, I believe that its base lease rate and residual value should be 1.5% and 46%, respectively. When negotiating your lease on this truck keep in mind that Ford is currently providing $2,000 lease cash on it, plus a $500 bonus for deals through Ford Credit, plus it is waiving the first month's payment for consumers through its "Signature Sign & Drive" promotion.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums
  • mcdermott2mcdermott2 Member Posts: 68
    I see Mountaineers all over the place but not so much info in this forum. My lease runs out in Sept. and love the look of the Mountaineer. Has anyone actually leased a 2006? What deals are out there?
    Welcome mcdermott2. You're right, there hasn't been a lot of traffic in this discussion lately. I would be happy to give you an idea of how much it should cost to lease the Mountaineer that you are interested in. In order for me to do so, it would be a big help if you would provide me with the full MSRP and dealer invoice price of the exact truck that you want. You can find this information in the following section of this site: Edmunds.com - New Vehicle Pricing. Let me know, along with what state you are in, how long you want to lease for, and how many miles per year you need to be able to drive and I will provide you with an estimate of what your lease payment should be like.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forums
    Thank you-I got a quote from a dealer in NJ for a luxury model with rear side air bags and reverse sensor(extras) for $331/month with $2800 total out of pocket for 24 months. My wife would prefer a 36 month but the promotion is for 24 on the luxury. I would like to get the out of pocket down and 36 month, even if we have to go down to the Convenience.
    MSRP would be about $33,000
    I did send you some additional info but have heard nothing back in awhile. Please let me know if this makes any sense. Thanks
    Car-Man, I was wondering if my info was enough for you to give me a price for this lease?
  • shoreboundshorebound Member Posts: 6
    Car-Man, can you give me the leasing information on a 2006 Mountaineer Premier AWD in the Philly area? Are they pushing any particular lease term? (27 months?) Can I buy one for $4500+ off of invoice?
  • tomnictomnic Member Posts: 1
    Car-Man

I am leasing a 2006 Mercury Mountaineer V6 Luxury Package

MSRP w/o DVD is $35,495
    X-Plan w/o DVD is $32,828

Selling Price with DVD $$33,680 (Also has walnut interior trim, chrome mud guards )(I guess dealer supplied accessories)

Rebate $5500

Rate 4%
    Residual amount $16,925
    Mileage 10,500

Out of Pocket Money $960.00

39 Monthly Payment $419

Please confirm if you think acceptable deal or not. Thanks.
  • susanw6susanw6 Member Posts: 32
    I heard that the Mountaineer does not have good resale value and therefore would not be a good car to lease. Anyone have any info?
  • k239cjrk239cjr Member Posts: 1
    Car-Man:
    I'm in northeast NJ and looking to lease a 2007 Mountaineer for 36 months and 12,000 yearly. Base price is $29,575 and with options it is $32,400. Invoice is $30,445. Dealer is quoting me National Ad lease rate of $399 per month with $0 down. Seems too high. What is the money factor for this area and residual for this car/area? I was coming up with closer to $360 based on what info I can gather.
    You're welcome, mcdermott2.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hello shorebound. Unfortunately, Ford is no longer providing lease support on 2006 Mercury models. If you want a 2006 Mountaineer right now you will either have to pay cash for, taking advantage of the $4,000 in cash incentives that are available on it, or finance it through Ford Credit at 0% for up to 5 years / 1.9% for 6 years plus a $1,000 bonus.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi susanw6. You're right, Mercury vehicles don't have the best resale values. Ford Credit's residual values for leases of 2007 Mercury models aren't that bad though. I suspect that Ford artificially inflates them a little bit, like automakers often do. Ford Credit's current 36 month, 12,000 mile per year residual value for the 2007 Mercury Mountaineer is 50%, which isn't great but isn't the worst residual that I have ever seen either.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Welcome k239cjr. Most manufacturers' advertised leases leave a little meat on the bone so to speak. You are in a competitive enough market, the New York area, that you should not have much trouble beating the lease that Mercury is currently advertising on the 2007 Mountaineer. If I was in the market for this truck right now, I personally would shoot for $500 over invoice minus any available lease cash. Ford Credit's current base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 Mercury Mountaineer with 12,000 miles per year in the New York area are 2.75% and 50%, respectively. As you can see, Ford Credit publishes lease rates instead of money factors for vehicles. You can convert its published lease rates into approximate money factor equivalents by dividing them by 2400.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • joe134joe134 Member Posts: 1
    I was hoping you could tell me what the current lease interest rates and residual values are for the Cleveland Ohio market. 36-39 month lease Mountaineer Premier.

Thanks Joe
  • stevied32stevied32 Member Posts: 9
    Car-Man-

I'm in Northern NJ and my 24 month lease on my Mountaineer is expiring the end of March. I was paying $273 month (w/Tax) for a 2005 Luxury V6, 10,500 miles a year, no money down. This was a great deal and was hoping Mercury would be offering a similar deal now. (my deal in 2005 had the car's purchase price after rebates at $26,600 and the residual value at $21,000)I visited the dealer this week and was disappointed that they wanted $399 for a 24 month lease.Have they drastically reduced the residual values they are offering today compared to two years ago? Do you know of any special programs, rebates, financing they are offering now? Also, if I only need 10,500 miles a year how much will that rise the residual value vs. 12,000 miles a year?

Thanks.
  • gerry2gerry2 Member Posts: 9
    I notice that the 2007 Mountaineer Premier has $4000 cash rebate plus $195 credit plus Nav/Moonroof discount in the NY metro area. I presume this is all after I negotiate the price to invoice (I got below invoice on my last one). What are the current money factors and residual values for 15k miles and 36 mo. on a V8 AWD. Thanks!

Gerry
  • gerry2gerry2 Member Posts: 9
    Looking at a Premier AWD V8 with Nav,DVD,Sunroof, sirius, Class III & roof crossbars. MSRP is $38,680 with Nav/Moonroof discount of $850. My calculations show invoice is $35,458. Deducted from that are total rebates of $5,695. Add in Bank fee of $595 and agreed $500 over invoice. My calculation is much different than the dealers and he says it is because I forgot to add in the tax on the pre-rebate price. Resid is 43% and MF is .00104 (2.5%). I'm under $500 and he's over by about $40. Any idea how to calculate a lease payment while including the tax on the rebates?????

Thanks!!!

Gerry
    (by the way, I am leasing two vehicles at the same time - am I too generous with $500 over invoice on each?)
  • jim7485jim7485 Member Posts: 4
    2007 Premier AWD 6 Cyl, with pwr running boards, adjustable pedals, roof rails, navi/moonroof package, Satellite radio for 3 yrs. Total retail price $ 36815, invoice $34945. I am eligible for retiree A/Z plan price of $33,505. I need extra miles and have been quoted the following: 2 yr 27,000 miles at 455/mo with 845 on delivery, 2 yr 30,000 miles at 471/mo with 881 on delivery or 2 yr 33,000 miles at 487/mo with 878 on delivery. Given the current lease 'deals', extra mileage, term and plan papers, do those monthly prices seem correct? It's hard for me to compare, given that prices quoted in the newspaper are generally for longer terms and lower mileage. Help !!! thanks jim
    You;re absolutely correct, Gerry. You should be able to negotiate a selling price that is pretty close to dealer invoice on the Mountaineer that you want and then have the dealer subtract any available cash incentives from its price. As far as this truck's lease program goes, Ford Credit's current base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 Mercury Mountaineer Premier AWD with 15,000 miles per year in its New York region are 2.5% and 43%, respectively. As you can see, Ford Credit publishes lease rates instead of money factors for the vehicles that it leases. You can convert its published lease rates into approximate money factor equivalents by dividing them by 2400.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hey Gerry. $500 over dealer invoice minus all of the available cash incentives sounds about right for a Mountaineer to me. I am not personally familiar with how sales tax is calculated on leased vehicles in New York, but you may be able to get an idea by visiting one of the following sites: New York State Department of Taxation and Finance or New York State Department of Motor Vehicles.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi Jim. The fact that you are able to purchase your Mountaineer through Ford's retiree plan should enable you to get a good deal on it without having to haggle. The selling price that you were quoted looks good to me. Just make sure that all of this truck's available cash incentives are deducted from it. Ford's lease program for this truck varies by region. If you tell me what state you are in I would be happy to give you its exact lease program for your area.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • jim7485jim7485 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks Car_man: I am in SE Michigan There are several cash incentives, but I don't have them all in front of me. $1000 loyalty as I am turning in a Mountaineer at lease-end and leasing another. Also something like $4500 I think because sales are slow.... ? .... can you verify? The dealer rep faxed me the invoice with lease numbers scribbled on it, so I don't know if all of the available incentives have been deducted. If the A/Z plan price is ~$33,500 and I deduct $5500 (from above), I could buy for $28,000. So.... how do I determine if the discounts are included in the lease price? Thanks for your prompt reply. :shades:
  • lane6lane6 Member Posts: 1
    Just came back from dealer in Ohio. 3.75%Apr and .43 residual on a 36mo 15K/yr. lease. Mercury was offering $850 discount on the moonroof/navigation package, reducing the MSRP. Dealer said package discounts are added back in to calculate the MSRP for leasing. Any thoughts?
  • sportsgirlsportsgirl Member Posts: 6
    2007 Premier v6-msrp $34,005+destination=$34740.
    Options include nav/moonroof package,power running brds and few others.Dealer website states retail customer cash rebate $1500 and retail bonus cash rebate $2007.
    Since this is a 2007,and (2008 is out) shouldnt this be priced at invoice minus these 2 rebates,and minus the $850 rebate they are giving on nav/moon package?PLease help-I am trying to lease this for 36 mos/12000miles p/yr.My zip is 33433 and tax here is 6%.Thanks
  • chuck68516chuck68516 Member Posts: 195
    If it says "RETAIL" it means purchasing with a bank loan. Not available with leasing.
  • coasterbobcoasterbob Member Posts: 32
    CarMan or anyone else, what are the best lease deals currently for this vehicle? I am looking at a Premier, MSRP with options : $33,845. I want 36-39mon/ 10.5-12 K miles and no/low down. Bob
  • coasterbobcoasterbob Member Posts: 32
    CarMan I need to know the residual and MF for the 08' Moutaineer Premier AWD, ASAP..... There are incentives available from Mercury but I want to calculate my payments. I am looking for 36-39 mon/10.5-12K per year. Thanks, BOB
  • znewmanznewman Member Posts: 10
    I am curious whether I am getting a decent deal or not.

Leasing an AWD 2008 Mountaineer with the following equipment: (a) Comfort package (heated leather with memory); (b) 3d row seat package; (c) Sync voice; (d) Running boards; and (e) Crossbars for the roof rails.

Lease term: 36 months / Lease miles: 12k a year

Lease price: $435 (true sign and drive -- all fees, taxes, etc. rolled in).

Other local dealers could not match and trying to see how good of a deal this is. Trying to figure out whether to go with this truck (seems like the best priced in this category -- nothing else came close except for stripped down Pilot) or a car (like a Camry SE, for $315 a month - sign and drive).

Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.
  • uppereyeuppereye Member Posts: 3
    I lease a Mercury Mountaineer, There is a problem with a module and ford is not letting people know about it. I lost the use of it for 3 weeks and they will not me any satisfaction. Their Customer service is Horrible. FORD PUT OUT A LETTER TO SERVICE DEPARTMENTS, BUT DID NOT NOT NOTIFY LEASSEES OR OWNERS. 9,100 miles on this truck. I'm afraid to drive it. Been is 3 times for same problem.

Sal
    I lease a Mercury Mountaineer, There is a problem with a module and ford is not letting people know about it. I lost the use of it for 3 weeks and they will not give me any satisfaction. Their Customer service is Horrible. FORD PUT OUT A LETTER TO SERVICE DEPARTMENTS, BUT DID NOT NOT NOTIFY LEASSEES OR OWNERS. 9,100 miles on this truck. I'm afraid to drive it. Been in the service dept. 3 times for same problem. Anyone with this truck should checxk this out. Has anyone experinced this problem. Engine Dragging and Bucking.
    Corrected from last message

Sal
    Is this site still active

Sal
  • CricketsCrickets Member Posts: 4
    My 36-month,15K miles per year, lease on a 2007 Mercury Mountaineer is coming to an end in December. The Mercury is in good condition and has ~39K miles on it.

I'd like to either buy the Mountaineer or a different CPO vehicle. I'm leaning toward returning the Mercury and just buying a different CPO vehicle in order to get a vehicle with a slightly smaller profile and better gas mileage. On my short-list are the used Toyota RAV-4 and used Subaru Forester.

The buy-out price on the contract for the Mountaineer is just under TMV value, so it seems like a good deal. But, I don't feel as confident in the long term reliability of the vehicle and I'm not in love with the gas mileage. However, if I got a good deal, I would be inclined to keep the Mountaineer since I know its history. I don't imagine I can get them to negotiate on the buy-out price since its below TMV. Are there any other options such as a low finance rate? I plan to put down around $8K toward whatever I end up getting.

My Mountaineer lease is my first leasing experience. I'm anxious about possible surprise charges if I try to return the vehicle back. I bought the additional wear and tear coverage that gives me an additional $2500 in leeway. But, I still worry that if they find out I plan to return the car, they'll scrutinize and charge me for anything and everything imaginable. I know this is likely me being paranoid since as I mention the vehicle is in good condition.

How much of any of this should I share with the lease people when I call to discuss setting up the vehicle inspection and discussing lease end options?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
    Crickets
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Check out the edge awd. If you lease keep the 8k in the moneymarket and put zero down. Pay the extra monthly payment out of the 8k --- you protect yourself if the car is totaled. Ford has ok rates on leases.
    Well - I wasn't really looking to lease again. I'd really prefer to buy either a used CPO or the Mountaineer. Any thoughts that don't involve re-leasing?
    Absolutely buy new. Nice low mileage cars are going for insane prices. What kind of vehicle are you interested in and price range?
    Had the following of vehicles on my short list:

Toyota RAV-4
    Subaru Forester
    Ford Escape
    Honda CR-V

But was thinking I'd have to buy used in order to stay around $20K
    Maybe not -- click on my name and go to my carspace and request we be friends. I can help you check them out -- don't know if this forum is for car shopping.
    Do you need awd? If fwd is ok then you probably find something decent at 20k. Go to overstock .com and click on autos. Put in your zip and click on bargains. Saw a base 09 crv for around 20k in my area. They give you dealers who honor the price. Kia rondo is rated well. There are 09's of your model preferences around at prices around 20k.2010 4wd escape base for 21500. 09 should be less. Kia rondo ex at 19500 nicely equipped lx base like 17k. Lots of choices -- have fun.
    Thanks very helpful!

So, you agree that I'm better off buying another car rather than buying the mountaineer at lease end (e.g. buying something different in order to lower overall operating costs is better deal)?
  • lorchanianlorchanian Member Posts: 12
    The lease contract says $17,300 for a buyout of the 07 Mountaineer. Will Ford Credit take less?
  • gibbytdoggibbytdog Member Posts: 1
    I have having a hard time finding a good comparison between the base, the luxury and premier model, as I am buying itn the next couple days. Some abses seem they have more stuff on it then a luxury? Is it just the available options?

From what I gather the base model does not have heated seat or the running boards
    I have no idea what the premier ads that the luxury does not have.

Looking at a 2005 Convenience V6 roof rack etc, 2006 Luxury but no 4wd option( i thought you could switch into 4wd or is that only on the explorers?) and a full loaded 2007 Premier.

Any help or if you have a reference site with a good comparison please post!

Thanks,
This discussion has been closed.