Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

MINI Cooper Lease Questions

Comments

• wab3wab3 Member Posts: 13
    Does BMW Financial Services apply their new-car lease standards and process to lease transfers? I'd like to get a 2nd gen. Cooper S, and for various reasons (one of them being technically poor credit), taking over the last year or two of a lease for a 2008 or 2009 makes sense for me right now.

Shopping the lease-trade websites, the lease payments for such a car would be well within my means. I could afford to put down 6-9 lease payments up front on a lease with 18-24 months remaining on the term. But any financing agency evaluating my credit rating just by the score is going to reject me. Does BMW FS just plug the numbers into a rules 'bot for credit evals or is there a way to get the application reviewed by an approval officer?

In a sane world a lessor about to get stuck with a depreciated lease-return would at least look twice at someone willing to pay a third of the remaining lease up front, but dealing with credit agencies is anything but sane.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    The person leasing the new car could possibly still get a deal with marginal credit, as the dealership may be going to bat for them, as they have a financial interest in getting the deal done.. It is in BMWFS interest to help the dealers sell new MINIs...

The bank (BMWFS) has no such interest, once the deal is completed. If anything, they will be more stringent on a lease assumption.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• eminded26eminded26 Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2010
    Hi there,

Before I go into a dealership and start working into this, is it possible for somebody to tell me what to expect as a lease price on something like this?

2010 Cooper Hatchback - Base w/automatic transmission ($21,000)
    10,000 miles per year, 36 month lease term

0-down, all taxes and fees rolled into payment.
    Just make first month's payment when picking up.

Any ball-park price somebody could give me would help when going in to negotiate on one of these... just so I know what to expect.

Thanks!
  • hearniahearnia Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2010
    I am shopping around for a Cooper S lease and dealers are telling me the residual is currently 53% for 3 years and 12k miles a year. This seems way lower than most people on this forum were getting last year. Anyone know why? Could this fluctuate in the coming months?
  • fkerrestfkerrest Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    Hello Car Man,

I am looking to lease a 2010 Mini with the specs below. They have given me pricing and I wanted to get your thoughts. This is with 1.9% financing.

Thanks!

SPECS:
    Model1010 Cooper HTUSD 18,800.00
    ColorA67 British Racing Green metallic paint500.00
    UpholsteryT6E4 Leather Gravity Tuscan Beige1,500.00
    OptionsZAH Anthracite headliner250.00
    ZCW Cold Weather Package500.00
    313 Power folding mirrorsN/C
    314 Heated mirrors and washer jetsN/C
    494 Heated front seatsN/C
    ZPP Premium Package1,750.00
    403 Dual pane panoramic sunroofN/C
    534 Automatic climate controlN/C
    674 Harman/kardon premium soundN/C
    1CA CO2 relevant vehiclesN/C
    205 STEPTRONIC automatic transmission1,250.00
    2RL 15" alloy wheels, rotator spokeN/C
    345 Chrome line interior250.00
    383 Roof and mirror caps in blackN/C
    473 Center armrestN/C
    481 Sport seats250.00
    4A6 Interior color Tuscan BeigeN/C
    4A7 Color Line Dark GreyN/C
    4AA Anthracite headlinerN/C
    4AU Extended Decor RingsN/C
    4BD Interior surface Piano BlackN/C
    6NE Comfort Bluetooth and USB/iPod adapter750.00
    Net Total25,800.00
    Destination Charge700.00
    Gas Guzzler TaxN/C
    Total Suggested Price26,500.00 + tax

PRICING:

24 months:
    12K miles a year
    1078.78 down payment
    535.68 + tax monthly

2500 down
    475.29+ tax monthly

5000 down
    369.04 + tax monthly
    _____

36 months:
    12K miles a year
    955.41 down
    423.01 + tax monthly

2500 down
    378.52 + tax monthly

5000 down
    306.51+ tax
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi hearnia. Unfortunately, the residual value that you were quoted looks correct. Vehicles' residual values fluctuate over time. Generally speaking, the closer one is to the introduction of a popular model, the higher its residual values are. As vehicles get older and everyone who was chomping at the bit to get one when it first came out has done so vehicles' residuals can slide a little. That appears to be what has happened with the Mini. I don't expect its residual values to get any better. If anything, they will probably continue to gradually decline as the model year progresses.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hi fkerrest. The special 1.9% rate is for conventional finance contracts only. If you want to lease, you will have to use a different rate...a money factor of .00180. That factor is equivalent to an interest rate of around 4.3%.

The prices that you listed in your post all look like this vehicle's MSRP. While the dealer margins on Minis are not huge, I suspect that you will be able to negotiate some sort of dealer discount if you shop around. Plus Mini is officially offering some free options on this car right now. Have you tried comparison shopping yet? If not, you may want to see if you can beat this deal. If it is at full MSRP, as it appears, then you may very well be able to do so.

Car_man
    Host
  • jfontjfont Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2010
    Hi--
    I got a quote on a Mini Cooper Convertible today and I wanted to run it by you. I got a quote for $321.10/month + tax for a total payment of $350/month. This is for a Mini Convertible with an MSRP of $26200. The negotiated price on the car was $25200 with a residual of $12,886.00. They are asking for a total down payment of $4540. The lease is for 3 years with 36k miles. We love the payment of $350, but we were wondering if the down payment was high. Any info you can share if this is a good lease or not would be great.
    Thanks!
  • pinup22pinup22 Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2010
    Got ballpark numbers on a Clubman from dealer in Scottsdale, AZ

MSRP of $25K
    36 Month
    15K/year
    $400-450 a month they said give or take!!! Whoa !
    Then I asked what numbers they were using:
    54% Residual
    .00275 was the MF ???

Ehhhh, that's terrible and they didn't seem eager to want to come down from that.
  • pinup22pinup22 Member Posts: 3
    Thoughts on leasing direct (not thru a dealership) through a company like http://www.autoleasedirect.com/ ? Looks to be quite a bit less than BMW.
  • heylalaheylala Member Posts: 1
    Hey car_man,

Any chance you've got the April lease figures for 24 and 36 months on a '10 Clubman with 10,000 miles/yr.

Thanks.
    Hey heylala. Here's the information that you're looking for. Mini's April buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a base 2010 Cooper Clubman with 10,000 miles per year are .00200 and 61%, respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are .00180 and 57%.

Car_man
    Host
  • zoranzoran Member Posts: 69
    how abt 30k/36 mo on Mini Coupe S? Would u know if face lifted be 2011 model? and when available? What changes?

Thanks Car Man
    Hey zoran. According to the latest information that I have seen, Mini's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Mini Cooper S with 10,000 miles per year are .00180 and 54%, respectively.

I know that Mini has a lot of changes planned for the 2011 model year, including some engine improvements for the Coopers and the introduction of the new Countryman, but I'm not sure how much of a facelift the '11 Cooper will receive or when it will hit showrooms.

Car_man
    Host
  • zoranzoran Member Posts: 69
    Thanks car man! usually mini are a bit late with newer year model. car is for my son, so base car improvement will be great!
    thanks
  • hearniahearnia Member Posts: 2
    I see Mini has great lease deals this month. Anyone know the specific figures behind them?
  • cruiser54cruiser54 Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone have current residuals and money factor numbers for 2010
    Clubman S, 3 year @ 15k miles per year?

Thanks
    Hi hearnia. I assume that you're talking about Mini's advertised lease payment for the base Cooper Hardtop model. Its current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a base 2010 Cooper Hardtop with 10,000 miles per year are .00230 and 65%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Here you go, cruiser54. Mini's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Clubman S with 15,000 miles per year are .00210 and 62%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • cruiser54cruiser54 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for your reply. When I inquired at my local dealer with this information they confirmed the 62% but on the money factor stated:

money factor is .00210 + .00035(to waive lease acquistion fee of $725)+ .00015(to waive security deposit)= .00260

Does this sound right?

Thanks....
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    The dealer is correct...

But, do the math... With the MINI being under $30K, you may well save money by taking the waiver, rather than adding the acquisition fee... but, you get the security deposit back at the end of the lease.... Letting them keep your $400 for three years, then giving it back, will save you $6-$7 per month on your lease payment.. That's a pretty good return!

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• dsills1dsills1 Member Posts: 1
    I just went in to a SoCal dealer and this is the best deal they offered me on a 2010 base cooper hard top, automatic, with bluetooth :

36 month/10k
    $1500 drive off
    $300/month incl tax

It seems like a good deal to me, but I'm an amateur at this! All opinions greatly appreciated!
  • lola225lola225 Member Posts: 20
    My local dealer said Mini's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 39-month lease of a 2010 Cooper S with 10,000 miles per year are .00175 and 63%, respectively.

Does that sound right ?

Thanks!
  • mak44mak44 Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2010
    Can someone please tell me if my monthly payment is accurate for this deal or am I being taken here.

2010 Mini - Auto; 16" spoke wheels; bonnet stripes; Bluetooth/USB; Moonroof; Destination charge ($700....(MSRP = $23,100)
    39 mo lease
    10k miles
    $700 cash down
    Trade-in value: -$1,300 (negative)
    Residual value: 66%
    Lease Money Factor: .00155
    CA sales tax: 9.75%

MONTHLY PAYMENT = $330 (inc tax)
  • delta737hdelta737h Member Posts: 626
    edited June 2010
    mak44,

It's impossible to determine whether or not your payment was correctly calculated as you haven't provided enough information. For instance, I would need to know the sell price, amounts financed (i.e., capitalized)- is the acquisition fee capped? Is the negative equity capped? Other than $700, was there any other cap reduction? Is the moon roof dealer installed? If so, it probably can't be fully residualized meaning my residual value calculation (below) may be inaccurate. Basically, I need to have enough information to be able to determine the gross cap as well as the adjusted cap.

Here's what we know...

MSRP = 23,100
    F = money factor = 0.00155
    N = Term = 39
    Residual Factor = 0.66
    R = Residual Value = 0.66 x 23,100 = 15,246
    Net Trade = -1,300
    CA Tax Rate = 9.75%
    PMT Inclu Tax = 330

Assuming the data is correct, the base payment is...

330/1.0975 = 300.68

Here's what we don't know...

S = Sell price =
    A = Amounts financed (itemize) = 1,300 + ?
    G = Gross Cap =
    D = Cap reductions (itemize) = 700 + ?
    C = Adjusted Cap =

Base Payment = F x (C + R) + (C - R) / N

Based upon the information you provided, coupled with some assumptions, I can determine all of the unknowns and, then, you can check your lease documentation and compare.

300.68 = 0.00155 x (C + 15246) + (C - 15246) / 39

Solving for C, I get

C = 24,565.89
    C + D = G = 24,565.89 + 700 = 25,265.89
    G - A = S = 25,265.89 - (1,300) = 23,965.89

Unless I know the exact values (not rounded or ball park), there's not much else I can do. It would also be helpful to know all costs paid upfront.

The two most imporant items in any lease transaction are the cost of money (i.e., money factor- always be sure you're getting the base rate if you qualify) and the sell price. Is $23,965.89 a reasonable selling price given that the MSRP is 23,100? That's about $866 over MSRP. This just doesn't look right.

Hope this helps.

John
    edited June 2010
    Hi John,

Thank you very much for your help. This is the 1st time I'm leasing a vehicle, so all of this is like 'new math' to me.

A few questions please....

1) A (amounts financed) = the selling price of the car + the negative equity of my trade-in. Is this correct?

2) So the total from the above = GROSS CAP? Is this correct?

3) Besides my $700 down payment, what else is considered a 'cap deduction?'

4) Is C (Adjusted Cap) = G - D?

*also the guys @ the Mini dealership said something about DMV fees + Bank fees which equalled over $1,000 (that was added to the cost). Does his sound right to you?

Thanks so much for your help.
    edited June 2010
    Hi mak44,

Selling price + Amounts financed = Gross cap cost

Amounts financed are items that your elect to finance in the lease and may consist of the acquisition fee, negative equity, taxes (if appropriate), dealer doc fee, etc.

Gross cap - Cap reductions = Adjusted Cap

Cap reductions may include cash down, trade equity, cash rebates, etc.

You may want to get an itemized breakdown of all the costs. DMV fees + doc fees + bank fee totaling over a $1,000 doesn't tell us very much.

DMV = ?
    Doc Fee = ?
    Bank Fee = ?
    Total = ?

Also, it might be a good idea to create a one-page lease proposal on your letter head and FAX/email it to the dealer and negotiate via email/phone from your home/office. These are designed to save time, money, and aggravation. Above all, they're designed to put you in control of the deal; not the dealer. Never let the dealer control the deal. Here's an example of a lease proposal...

MSRP 2011Honda Pilot LX Automatic…… 28,755.00

Selling Price.........................................… 26,450.92

Amounts Financed (Capitalized)
    AHFC Acquisition Fee….......……………… 595.00
    NY Sales Tax 8.875%...………………...…… 1,248.73

Capitalized Costs
    Gross Capitalized Cost…………………..…. 28,294.65
    Capitalized Cost Reduction…………..……. 0.00
    Adjusted Capitalized Cost…………………… 28,294.65

Residual Data
    Residual Factor…………………………….. 0.59
    Residual Value (Residual Factor × MSRP)… 16,965.45

Cost of Money/Term
    Money Factor……………………............………. 0.00173
    Term (months)…………………………………. 36

Monthly Lease Payment……………………. 393.00

Estimated Charges Payable at Lease Origination
    Documentation Fee………………………..... 75.00
    Government Fees…………………………….. 217.50
    Amount Due at Lease Signing…………….… 292.50

Fund Provider: AHFC
    GAP Coverage: Included
    Annual Mileage Allowance: 12k
    Disposition Fee: None
    Excess Mileage Charge: $0.15 per mile

NOTE: Monthly Payment = MF x (Adj Cap + Res Val) + (Adj Cap - Res Val) / Term

Questions? Please let me know.

John
    edited June 2010
    Hi John.

My head is spinning right now, LOL.

Here are some of the missing numbers:

-Sell price = $22,200

-Adjusted Cap = $24,700 (according to sales manager - don't know if correct though)

-Exact amount of negative equity on trade-in car: -$1,271.62

Bank fee = $725
    DMV fee = $343
    Doc fee = $55
    Floor Mats = $119

Total = $1,242

Basically it's the lease special that Mini has running right now [http://miniusa.com/#/financialServices-m] but with$1,500 less down payment, additional $600 in car add-ons + additional $1,271.62 in negative equity of trade-in.

I'm just trying to figure out if the $330 per month payment is correct. Hopefully this helps.

Once again, thank you very much for all your help!
    edited June 2010
    Okay, mak44, I have two questions...

1) Exactly what charges are you paying upfront? This will tell me what's being capped and what isn't. Then, I'll be able to determine the adjusted cap.

(2) What is the adjusted MSRP? You said that you're getting a moon roof. Again, is that dealer installed? If it is and, for instance, it costs 1500, then only a percentage, say 80% or 1200, will be added to the base MSRP to get the adjusted MSRP for purposes of computing the residual value. The residual value is 0.66 x adjusted MSRP. I'm not so sure that 23,100 is, in fact, the adjusted MSRP used to compute the residual.

Analysis
    Here's why I need this information.

If I compute the base payment given your information, I get

Base Payment = F x (C + R) + (C - R) / N

= 0.00155 x (24,700 + 15,246) + (24,700 - 15,246) / 36

= 324.53

In order to get your payment of 330, including taxes, the base payment would have to be 330/1.0975 = 300.68 not 324.53.

Concerns
    Obviously, something is wrong. Is the 24,700 adjusted cap wrong or; is the 15,246 residual wrong? Or, are they both wrong?

Solution
    Here is what I suggest you do...

Please ask the dealer to email/FAX their computer generated LEASE WORKSHEET. That will tell me everything I need to know. Otherwise, we're just guessing. Besides, I really doubt that the 24,700 adjusted cap is correct and also have reservation about the 15,246 residual. I need exact numbers as ball park or rounded numbers will not work. Don't let them tell you that they can't give it to you because that's baloney.

You can email the LEASE WORKSHEET, if you like, to me at...

diffeq@zoominternet.net

John
  • einbayereinbayer Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2010
    hello

does anyone have residual values and money factor for july 2010?
    36 or 39 mnths, 12k/yr

cooper
    cooper s

not - clubman

thank you
  • ps2121ps2121 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I visited a dealer and got some quotes from them. Could anyone please help me determine if these are good? They also rolled in the 7.25% tax (IL) and title reg fee (~$250).

All 12K miles/39 month

Mini Base (MSRP)
    - MSRP: $22,600
    - $1000 down: $ 289/mo
    or $3000 down: $ 234/mo

Mini S
    - MSRP:
    - $1000 down: $353/mo
    or $3000 down: $299/mo

Thanks a lot.
  • jwebtxjwebtx Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2010
    i am in desperate need of the current Texas buy rate and mf for the cooper s w/ 10k and 12k miles per year for 36mos. We are looking at cars with and without the premium package if that makes a difference. Many thanks in advance.
    Hi einbayer. Mini's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Cooper with 15,000 miles per year are .00140 and 63%, respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a 2010 Cooper S are .00140 and 60%.

Car_man
    Host
    Here you go jwebtx.

Mini's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Cooper S with 12,000 miles per year are .00140 and 62%, respectively.

The residual value for a lease with only 10,000 miles per year is 1% higher.

Car_man
    Host
  • hooch7hooch7 Member Posts: 4
    Hi Carman,

Thanks for all your contributions. These forums are so extremely helpful in car shopping. Can you post the august money factor and residual for a 2010 mini clubman S with 15k miles.

Thanks for Everything!
  • sparkangelosparkangelo Member Posts: 6
    Hello I'm a newbie here. Just went to the Hassel Mini dealer and thought that I got a great deal, let me know what you guys think.

MSRP 28,100
    Capitalized Cost 26,604.43
    Sales Tax for NYC 1,186.91
    Total Cap 27,791.34
    Residual 17,422
    Total Depreciation 10,369.34

Advanced Payment 345
    Security Deposit 350
    Other Fee 75
    Total Drive Off 790

39 Months at 12k miles for 345 all in.

They had another vehicle with MSRP of 26,750 for 329 all in. which is a better deal? are both good deals?
    edited August 2010
    sparkangelo,

My forensic analysis provides the following results...

MSRP........................................................ 28,100.00

Sell Price................................................... 26,604.43

Amounts Financed
    NY Sales tax @8.875%............................... 1,186.91

Gross Cap.................................................. 27,791.34
    Cap Reduction............................................ 0.00
    Adjusted Cap............................................. 27,791.34

Residual Factor.......................................... 62%
    Residual Value........................................... 17,422.00

Money Factor............................................. 0.00175
    Term.......................................................... 39

Monthly Payment....................................... 345.00
    Pre-Tax Payment....................................... 312.49

NY Sales Tax............................................. 8.875%

All your data was correctly calculated, although, I could be a few pennies off due to rounding convention. The two most important items in any lease transaction are the selling price and money factor. If you qualify, be sure your money factor is the buy rate which is the rate with zero dealer profit (i.e., 0% reserves).

I have no idea how good your selling price is without doing research. You should check Edmund's invoice pricing and incentives if you haven't already done so. Also check...

http://cars.overstock.com/combined-new.service?makeId=2255&postalCode=10023

for competitive low prices in your area.

John
    edited August 2010
    You said...

"They had another vehicle with MSRP of 26,750 for 329 all in. which is a better deal? are both good deals?"

Given only an MSRP and payment, not even God could answer those questions. Too much information is missing.

John
  • pjsagepjsage Member Posts: 2
    Hi Car Man.

As always thanks for the awesome info. One thing I noticed is a difference between the MF you quote and that paid by some recent posters (e.g. post 342 of 0.000175).

I think I worked out that the difference is mostly because no acquisition fee was paid (it was priced into the MF at 0.00035 per another poster) I say mostly because the term is also different 36M vs 39m.

Is this correct?

General question - are you able to post the MF both with and without fee and also post the amount of fee?
  • sturner6sturner6 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2010
    Car Man, You seem to be the resident Guru when it comes to Lease rates. Can you possibly tell me the money factor for the 2011 Mini Cooper-S on a 36 month/12k miles per yr lease? Or if it's just too early to know, do you think the MF apparent in the quote below is reasonable or not?

Dealer confirmed that residual was 62% but reverse-engineering the quote I got gives me a Money Factor at 0.002083 which seems pretty high (5%) even for a new model year.

Here are the stats:
    MSRP = $26250
    Sale Price = $25200
    ==================== 36 month lease w/ 12k miles per year
    Acquisition Fee = $925
    Base Payment = $375.86
    Tax = $22.55
    TTL Monthly Payment = $398.41
    RESIDUAL = $16399 = 62%
    You're very welcome, hooch7. Mini's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Mini Cooper Clubman S with 15,000 miles per year are .00190 and 55%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi pjsage. You are correct, Mini will waive its acquisition fee requirement in exchange for an increase of .00035 in the money factor that is used to calculate a vehicle's monthly payment.

According to the latest information that I have seen, Mini's September buy rate lease money factor for the 2010 Cooper S is .00190 for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers. This factor is with the payment of the acquisition fee at lease signing.

Car_man
    Host
    I'd be happy to help you out, sturner6.

According to the latest information that I have seen, Mini's September buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 Mini Cooper S with 12,000 miles per year are .00230 and 57%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

Mini isn't providing any support on 2011 models yet. .00230 really isn't that bad for a standard money factor. I've definitely seen much worse.

Car_man
    Host
  • lazieepeteylazieepetey Member Posts: 1
    Hi Car_man, you are the man here, so I must ask you!
    i've seen rates for 2011 coopers floating around, but not very clear on the 2010 remaining stock. Could you help me with the rates for cooper S 15k/36m? seems like paying the acquisition will drop the MF down, so I don't mind pay that.

Thanks in advance!
  • minibibiminibibi Member Posts: 2
    Hi...I'm in the market for a 2010 Mini Cooper Convertible and am working with two dealers and neither is too keen on providing me with too much information. I know I qualify for the BMW Financial’s Elite status.

I need to know the residual and money factor on two different cars: the 2010 Mini Cooper Convertible base model and also a 2010 Mini Cooper S Convertible that is an executive demo. I have been unable to find the money factor for October, but I’ll settle for September number in order to have an idea of what I’m looking at.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • minibibiminibibi Member Posts: 2
    Also, forgot to mention...12K/36months
  • podpropodpro Member Posts: 15
    MINI Cooper (base model hardtop)
    $800 out of pocket
    $340 a month
    36 months
    10k a year
    Automatic
    Moonroof
    Automatic Climate Control
    Suggested price = $23,850

I was shocked at how much money the "S" model and/or convertible was here in NY. Any feedback on the deal above would be appreciated.

The one thing I don't like about the base model is the 15" tire and rims. I was told that these can't be swapped out. Sounds weird, no?

Also, will I notice a BIG difference between the drive of an "S" and the base model? Is it simply better acceleration and top speed?I drove the base model and was a bit underwhelmed.
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    Power is very subjective.For me, even though I am a salesman at a MINi dealer and am around them every day, I actually prefer the base Cooper(manual shift). I don't find it the least bit pokey; moreover, I find the turbo whistle on the S a little tedious. But, as I said, power is very subjective.
    And avoiding run-flats by specing the 15" wheels is very appealing to me.
  • podpropodpro Member Posts: 15
    Can you elaborate on what you mean by "And avoiding run-flats by specing the 15" wheels is very appealing to me."?

The 15" tires have me worried that I'll feel every little bump in the road...
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    The standard 15" tire is the only one in the MINI line that isn't a run-flat.
    Some of the guys at the store maintain a bigger wheel will give a better ride. But the shorter,and therefore stiffer sidewall of a larger tire has to give a slightly rougher ride.
This discussion has been closed.