Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Nissan Sentra Lease Questions

CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
edited January 2014 in Nissan
Hi everyone. Please use the following discussion to post any questions that you have about leasing a Nissan Sentra. Thanks.

Car_man
Host
Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums

Comments

• aman74aman74 Member Posts: 26
    I've got an '01 Sentra SE 2.0 that I leased in late '01 for 4 years. Lease is up on December 25th, I owe one more payment.

Residual is around 7400. There is a buyout fee of $150. I leased through Nissan Finance. I only have 30,000 miles on it and it is in great shape except a couple scratches. TMV and blue book says the value is 1-2k more than residual, but I don't think an '01 would go for that, although it has the moonroof and alloys etc...

My questions:

-Do factory rebates apply to leased vehicles? Nissan is giving 1500 on '06's and 2500 on '05's. One dealer told me no. I want to negotiate the price including rebates and then work out the lease from there.

-I'm hearing from dealers that there's no 05's around. Should I insist on having a locate done to get more rebate? I get the feeling they just want to move what's on the lot.

-Nissan is offering this lease currently http://www.nissanusa.com/buying/SpecialOffers/0,,53011,00.html#21111 It looks to be a subsidized lease which is supposed to be good? When they have these offers are they still negotiable?

-My dealer is offering a "deal" currently where they buy back your lease at 100% of market value and they said they would knock of the last lease payment and any equity in the car above residual would go towards my new deal. I'm leary of anything that ends the lease early and supposedly takes care of old payments. Does this sound legit? What should I watch for? Deal ends Sat. the 12th. Supposedly anyhow.

-I have contacted Nissan finace with some questions, but for the most part they seem to prefer I deal with the dealership. The car isn't the dealerships at this point. Can't I deal directly with Nissan finance if I decide to purchase my current vehicle?

-My credit is excellent, but I am currently unemployed so financing without a co-signer will be tough. I can get one if I absolutely have to, but Nissan has already pre-approved me and said I need no co-signer so my incentive to stay with them is strong. I don't have alot of leverage to walk away and seek out a different brand unless anyone knows where to get good financing with tier 1 credit, but no job.

Sorry this is so lengthy, I don't know where else to get the info. I have done much research, but it's hard to nail down specifics. What is the best time frame to get this deal done? Lease ends in about 6 weeks.

Thanks to all!

Anthony
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi Anthony. Even though the 2006 Sentra currently has $2,500 customer cash available on it and the 2006 model has $1,500 on it, these cash incentives are not compatible with these cars' special lease programs. Nissan is currently only providing $750 lease cash on both the 2006 and 2005 Sentra. I would be happy to give you an idea of what this car's lease program is currently like.

Most manufacturers' advertised lease payments, like the one that you provided the link to in your post, leave a little meat on the bone so to speak. Dealers would be pretty angry at a manufacturer that advertised an unbelievable skinny deal on a vehicle. I would not be surprised if you were able to negotiate a more attractive selling price on the Sentra that you are interested in than they one that was used to arrive at the advertised lease payment. If you are able to do so, your car's lease payment would be lower.

If your current leased vehicle is actually worth more than its purchase price at this time, the dealer that you are working with would be able to get you out of your current lease early and possibly even have some equity left over to apply to your new lease.

Nissan's current lease program is scheduled to run through November 30th, so there's no need to rush out and finalize your deal immediately.

Each bank has a different policy on how it allows its lessees to purchase their leased vehicles. Many banks will deal directly with consumers. You will be better off if you can deal directly with Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp., or whichever bank you are leasing through. Involving a dealer usually does nothing for you except line their pocket.

Car_man
    Host
  • aman74aman74 Member Posts: 26
    Thanks much for the info.

Yeah, I tried to deal directly with NMAC and they said no and said only through the dealer.

I may just end up purchasing this vehicle. I have tier one credit, but no current employment so I will most likely have to deal with NMAC as I am pre-approved with them.

If I could shop around for loans I would get pre-approved and maybe take my business to another dealership and automaker. The new GM program looks like it may offer some value.

I can get a co-signer if I absolutely have to, but would rather not go that route.

If I did lease a new Nissan, could I negotiate the price and then subtract the 750 Lease money and possibly be under invoice and still allow the dealership a profit?

Example:

Say the car is 15000 invoice and I negotiate 15500 and then subtract 750. Would they still get there 500 profit? I'm fine with them getting that as they should, I just don't know how the numbers work with the 750 lease cash.

Thanks for taking the time!

Anthony
    No problem Anthony. A friend of mine recently tried to purchase his leased Nissan at the end of his lease and was also told by NMAC that they had to deal with a dealer. This is strange because most banks do not operate this way. It's also unfortunate, because the dealer tacked on its own fee to the lease-end purchase of the vehicle.

If you were able to negotiate a selling price of say $500 over invoice before the deduction of the $750 lease cash, then yes your vehicle's final capitalized cost would be below invoice, but the dealer would still be making a profit because Nissan pays for the incentives not dealers.

Car_man
    Host
  • evguenirevguenir Member Posts: 15
    Hi, Car_man!
    Could you give me the current money factor and residual value on a 2006 Sentra 1.8S with SE package for a 36 months 12K lease?
    Do you know if the $2,250 rebate can be applied towards the leased car?
    Thanks a lot
  • jloukajlouka Member Posts: 5
    Hi everyone,

I am pricing out an '06 sentra 1.8 s Special Edition package lease (with the ABS package and sunroof) MSRP approx 18k. (Nissan is running the special edition package @ $500 , usually $2500. I priced the car at 39 months , 15k/year, 999 down (total includes tax), $199/month. any suggestions. . . . is this a good deal?
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    It is a good deal in my judgement.
    Hi evguenir. Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp.'s current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2006 Sentra 1.8S with 12,000 miles per year are .00012 and 45%, respectively. The $2,250 customer cash that Nissan is providing on this car is not compatible with this special lease program, but Nissan is providing $1,000 lease cash that is. Make sure to take this $1,000 into account when negotiating your car's capitalized cost.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi jlouka. You never mentioned the selling price of the Sentra that you are interested in leasing. This is an important number for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing the price of the car that you want to lease you don't know how good a price you are getting it for. The second reason is that one needs the selling price of a vehicle that they want to lease is that it is necessary to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion of this deal if you let me know what the selling price is.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • pktrcktpktrckt Member Posts: 9
    Hi Carman...my sister is looking to get her first leased car and I am helping her out. We are looking at the entry level cheapest lease possible type of cars. Her credit score is not high enough to qualify for top tier credit but I know that many of the subsided leases only require an average credit score to get the good terms. Do you know if that is the case for the Sentra's current deal or of any other vehicles? Thanks as always
    Hi pktrckt. I don't know the exact cutoff in terms of what credit score is necessary to qualify for Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp.'s best lease program, but NMAC is not nearly as restrictive as Toyota or Honda are. For now I can give you an idea of what this car's lease program is like. I am going to have to make some assumptions about the trim level, term, and mileage allowance. For now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease of a base 2007 Sentra 2.0 with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. NMAC's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a Sentra 2.0 with 15,000 miles per year are .00239 and 56%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • katrinakkatrinak Member Posts: 1
    On Saturday, I leased an 07 nissan sentra 2.0S with the convenience package. I was going to get the base altima, but could get more bells and whistles on the Sentra. The MSRP is $18,025. I put $500 (including first lease payment) and my monthly payment is $259. The lease is 36 months with 12k miles a year. I went to 2 different Nissan dealers and they really would not lower the price anymore. They said that with the new models for the altima and sentra that there are not really any leasing deals. I am having total buyer’s remorse and feel like I should have bargained more. Let me know Car Man. Thanks!
  • rasldaslrasldasl Member Posts: 74
    I don't think so. The advertised lease ($179/month) was for a model without the convenience package and with a lot more down. I leased a Sentra 2.0 SL the same day as you and am paying quite a bit more.
  • oshchicagooshchicago Member Posts: 2
    Hi CarMan,

Thanks for all of the valuable information. This forum is great!

I am looking at the 2007 Nissan Sentra 2.0 SL. Am currently negotiating price with a few dealers, but am not sure what money factor and residual value % to use once I bring up the lease. Could you provide that info? (for 12,000 miles per year)

Thanks!
  • cdb124cdb124 Member Posts: 1
    Hello fellow Sentra owners,
    I lease a 2006 Sentra in July 2006 and as of date I have 18,500 miles already. I'm alloted 15,000 a year and I've max that in 5-6 months. I drive 102 miles roundtrips daily to work. I need to get out of this lease and buy a vehicle. My questions are: when should I get out? What are the penalties for opting out within a years time?

Thanks!
    Greetings katrinak. Congratulations on your new car. It is a good sign if you shopped around with two other dealers and they wouldn't beat the deal that you were quoted. I would be happy to give you my opinion of this deal. In order for me to do so though it would be a big help if you provided me with this car's selling price first. This number will show me how much of a discount you are being given on it and it will enable me to use Nissan's actual lease program to estimate what your monthly payment should have been. Let me know and I'll tell you what I think.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    I'm glad that you like this forum so much, oshchicago. Nissan's lease program for this car varies by term. For now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease. Let me know if you want something different. Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp.'s current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 Nissan Sentra 2.0 SL with 12,000 miles per year are .00222 and 57%, respectively. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi cdb124. I am sorry to say that it is going to be fairly expensive for you to get out of your lease well before its scheduled end date. In order to do so you will have to purchase your Sentra from the bank that you are leasing it through and trade it in or sell it on your own, which will likely result in a decent loss, or go to a site like swapalease.com and find someone who is willing to assume your deal. Unless you got an amazing deal on your lease or are willing to sweeten it with money out of your own pocket, it may be difficult to find someone who is willing to take over your deal.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • stoned_beaglestoned_beagle Member Posts: 9
    Hi, can anyone provide the current money factor and residual values at 12K miles per year for both a 2 year lease (24 or 27 months) and three year lease (36 or 39). Thanks!
  • sphinxriddsphinxridd Member Posts: 10
    Hi Carman,

could you provide residual % and money factor for 24-mo lease of sentra 2.0 S? thanks!
  • stoned_beaglestoned_beagle Member Posts: 9
    Regarding post #20, this is for a Sentra 2.0S (with manual transmission and convenience package).
    Greetings stoned_beagle. Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp.'s current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a base 2007 Nissan Sentra 2.0 with 12,000 miles per year are .00137 and 68%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are .00151 and 56%. The money factors are the same for other Sentra trim levels, but its residual values are slightly different so let me know if you want a different version of this car. When negotiating your lease on this car, make sure to take advantage of the $500 NMAC lease cash that is currently available on it. It will help you to negotiate an attractive capitalized cost for your lease.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi sphinxridd. Please see my previous post for the information that you're looking for. Thanks.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • sean67854sean67854 Member Posts: 4
    What would the residuals be on an SL and SE-R for both a 24 and 36 month lease?
  • avljmaxavljmax Member Posts: 10
    Hi Car_man. I was hoping to find out the current lease money factor and residual for a 36-month, 12000 miles per year lease on the 2007 Sentra 2.0S. Just thought you should know that you were incredibly helpful to me when I leased my last car (3 years ago). Thank you for your response to my newest lease query!
    Hi sean67854. Through July 2nd, Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp.'s buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2007 Nissan Sentra SL with 15,000 miles per year are .00137 and 68%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are .00151 and 56%. When negotiating your lease on this car make sure to take advantage of the $500 bonus cash that Nissan is providing on deals that are run through NMAC.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Welcome back avljmax. Through July 2nd, Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp.'s buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 Nissan Sentra 2.0S with 12,000 miles per year are .00151 and 54%, respectively. When negotiating your lease on this car, make sure to take advantage of the $500 NMAC bonus cash. It will help you to negotiate an attractive capitalized cost for your deal.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • rachelebracheleb Member Posts: 1
    How does the residual value work? And what does "lease money factor" mean? Why would I want to know these numbers? I am looking at a current lease deal on the Nissan website: $159/mo for the 2.0 CVT. From the ad: "$16,340 MSRP incl. destination charge. Net capitalized cost of $14,017 includes a $595 non-refundable acquisition fee." I am looking to lease my first car on my own, and am also considering the Mazda 3 and maybe the Subaru Impreza sedan, both also currently have deals for under $200/ mo. for a lease. Thanks for your time!
  • srqcaddysrqcaddy Member Posts: 6
    Hi Car_man. I was hoping to find out the current lease money factor and residual for a 2007 Sentra 2.0SL for both 24 and 36mo/15k.

Thanks
  • blueiiii1972blueiiii1972 Member Posts: 1
    Good Day Car_Man,

I build a lease model, but require your assistance on some information, please.

What's the current money factor and residuals for the following?
    Sentra 2.0S, 12k & 10.5k miles, 36 months
    Sentra 2.0SL, 12k & 10.5k miles, 36 months

I like my leases to be on only the cost of the depreciated value of the car. I pay all taxes and fees up front. Question... aside from taxes, what "fees" are legitimate that I should expect to pay? and what is a decent/typical range ($) for each?

Thank you sir...
    Hi racheleb. It sounds like you are new to leasing. You definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

Vehicle's lease payments are made up of two parts, the depreciation portion and the interest portion. Residual values are used to calculate how much depreciation lessees have to pay over the course of their lease. They are usually expressed as a percentage of a vehicle's full MSRP, including the destination charge and any options that can be residualized. The higher a vehicle's residual value is, the better because it means that you will have to pay for less depreciation and that your monthly payment will be lower.

Money factors are used to calculate the interest portion of lease payments. Money factors can be converted into approximate interest rate equivalents by multiplying them by 2400. For example, the .00141 money factor that Nissan is charging on a 36 month lease of a 2007 Sentra is equivalent to an interest rate of around 3.38%. The lower a money factor is, the better because the less interest you will have to pay over the course of your lease.

Anyhow, take a look at those articles and let me know if you have any other questions.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Here you go, srqcaddy. Nissan Motor Acceptance corp.'s current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2007 Sentra 2.0 SL with 15,000 miles per year are .00082 and 67%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are .00141 and 55%. When negotiating your lease on this car, make sure to take the $500 cash incentive that Nissan is currently providing on vehicles that are financed or leased through NMAC into account.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi blueiiii1972. Here is the information that you're looking for. Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp.'s current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 Nissan Sentra 2.0 S with 12,000 miles per year are .00141 and 53%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a 2007 Sentra 2.0 SL are .00141 and 56%. I don't believe that NMAC offers 10,000 mile per year leases on Nissan division vehicles, but you should check with the dealer that you are working with to make certain that it doesn't. When negotiating your lease on this car, make sure to take advantage of the $500 lease cash that Nissan is currently providing on it.

As far as what fees you should expect to pay go, at lease signing you will have to pay your car's first month's payment, a security deposit that's equivalent to that payment rounded up to the nearest $25 increment, NMAC's $595 acquisition fee, and any required state taxes or fees.

Car_man
    Host
  • ws01ws01 Member Posts: 11
    Car_Man, could you give me current residual and money factors for 36 or 39 mo. lease on 2007 and 2008 Sentra SE-R?

TKS
    Peter
  • stingley77stingley77 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Car_Man, can you provide me with the current residual and money factors for a 2008 Nissan Sentra 2.0S? I'm looking at either a 24mo or a 36mo with either 10k or 12k miles.

Thank you!
    Scott
    Hi Peter. Here's the information that you're looking for. Nissan Motor acceptance Corp.'s current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Sentra SE-R with 15,000 miles per year are .00295 and 61%, respectively. The money factor for an otherwise identical 39 month lease of this car would be the same, but its residual value would be 60%.

NMAC's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 Nissan Sentra SE-R (non-Spec-V) with 15,000 miles per year are .00141 and 55%. The numbers for an otherwise identical 39 month lease are .00135 and 54%.

When negotiating your lease on these cars, make sure to take the $1,000 cash incentive that is available on '07 Sentra and the $500 incentive that is available on the '08 Sentra deals that are run through NMAC into account. They will help you to negotiate an attractive capitalized cost.

Car_man
    Host
    Here's the information that you're looking for, stingley77. Nissan Motor acceptance Corp.'s current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2008 Nissan Sentra 2.0S with an automatic transmission and 12,000 miles per year are .00229 and 73%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are .00295 and 61%. I don't believe that NMAC offers leases with only 10,000 miles per year, but you should check with the dealer that you are working with just to make sure.

Car_man
    Host
  • xxgrzesxxxgrzesx Member Posts: 9
    Could you post lease rates for Sentra 2.0SL 24months 12k/ year and 15k/year. Alos, please include the price I can get this car for in Los Angeles if you know.
    Thank you
  • stactumstactum Member Posts: 39
    Hello,

I would highly appreciate if somebody could provide me with residual value and money factor for 08 Sentra 2.0 (non S or SL). I am looking to get one either for 12K or 15K miles for either 36 or 39 month. Thank you.
    Hello stactum. Here is the information that you're looking for. Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp.'s current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a base 2008 Nissan Sentra 2.0 with 15,000 miles per year are .00194 and 56%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 39 month lease are .00194 and 55%. If you were to lease this car with only 12,000 miles per year, its residual values would be 1% higher.

Car_man
    Host
  • tangomujertangomujer Member Posts: 1
    I would highly appreciate if somebody could provide me with residual value and money factor for 08 Sentra 2.0 with ABS and 15,000 miles for 24 months lease. Dealer is also offering to pay the tax for me. Thank you.
    Here you go, tangomujer. Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp.'s current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2008 Nissan Sentra 2.0 with 15,000 miles per year are .00084 and 68%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • rdyxlrdyxl Member Posts: 4
    I am in the market for a Nissan Sentra 2.0S with CVT package. Can anyone help with the Jun's money factor and residual for 24 / 36 month lease with 12000 miles per year. :confuse:
    Thanks
    Here's the info that you're looking for, rdyxl. NMAC's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2008 Nissan Sentra 2.0 S with an automatic transmission and 12,000 miles per year are .00084 and 69%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are .00118 and 57%.

Car_man
    Host
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Have these numbers changed for July? Also, is 12k miles the lowest that the NMAC leases go? Thank you.
    Hi backy. Nissan Motor Acceptance Corp.'s current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Sentra 2.0S with an automatic transmission and 12,000 miles per year are .00040 and 55%, respectively. I have never seen a NMAC lease with less than 12,000 miles per year.

Car_man
    Host
  • rasldaslrasldasl Member Posts: 74
    I went through the typical dealer experience the day I leased my Sentra. Would have signed away my first born child to get out of there. Instead signed a lease for a $21,000 loaded Sentra SL that they somehow had capitalized at $23,000 (and I don't think this included any fees/tax/title). Long story short, I am paying $369/month for a 36 month/36,000 mile lease. I am a bit over on mileage but can probably keep it down for the remaining 18 months to come in about even. I think I am paying way too much and could probably have bought the thing for the same payment but that's water under the bridge.

Here is my question: I acutally like the car and might want to buy it out at lease end. The problem is that the way they structured the lease the buyout is about $12,000. I think that is more than the car is going to be worth. Do I have any room to negotiate this price? I don't want to have to turn it in and then buy a similar car used, not knowing the history of it, when I could just buy this one. Also, I am not familiar with how this buy-out affects things like sales tax. I know if I buy a car for $12,000 cash with no trade-in here in NJ I will pay $840 sales tax. Was sales tax on the whole price of the car already paid when I leased it or just tax on the difference between capitilized cost and buyout price?

I spoke to a salesman at another dealer and he indicated that if I want a new Nissan that I might be able to get out of the lease as soon as 6 months early without having to pay the remaining payments. That might be an option but I really don't want to get into another lease (ever again!) so then I am looking at payments on a new car instead of a used one. They will be pretty high since I will have no trade-in.

Anybody out there with experience in this area?

Thanks.
  • ed108ed108 Member Posts: 39
    What about the 24 month numbers? I've seen a $159/month for 24 months ad which I may be interested in.

Thanks for your reply.
  • jmcgonigaljmcgonigal Member Posts: 3
    I was told from a dealer
    "On the lease, you do not have any customer cash. Customer cash is for purchases only. So when you see these low prices on cars, that's after the cash back offer is applied. There is no cash back offer with the lease. Only a special money factor. "

Is this not the case? According to your post it looks like those rebates would be in effect.
  • dperonedperone Member Posts: 14
    Looking for a 36 month - 12K lease on a loaded Sentra in NJ. Thoughts on good deals??
This discussion has been closed.