Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-3 Lease Questions

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hey uncjedi. You can look up the exact dealer invoice price of the car that you are interested in by visiting the following section of this site: Edmunds.com New Vehicle Pricing. If I was in the market for a lease of a non-demo 9-3, I personally would shoot for a selling price of around $500 over invoice. I would need a price that's significantly below that to go with a demo. The problem that I have with demo vehicles is that dealers never seem to be willing to discount them enough for me to personally justify purchasing or leasing one over a similar brand new car.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hi wokscott. The 2007 Saab 9-3 has a spread of around $1,500 between its MSRP and dealer invoice price. Saab is not currently providing any cash incentives on leases of this model. As a result, the $2,200 discount that you were quoted on this car looks very attractive to me. The lease rate that you were quoted is right in line with Saab's base rate for this model. This looks like a good deal. If you like the car, go for it.

Car_man
    Host
    You are right, confused13. The 5.35% lease rate that you were quoted for this car is too high. Saab's current base lease rate for any length lease of a 2007 9-3 Sedan is currently only 3.35%. Make sure that the dealer you are working with uses this rate to calculate your monthly payment. You may be able to do a couple hundred dollars better than the $700 discount that you were quoted is well. Make sure to stop by the "Saab 9-3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience" discussion to see how much other community members have paid for similar cars lately.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey astern26. I would be happy to give you an idea of what sort of lease payment you can expect to pay on these cars. It would be a big help though if you would provide me with the MSRPs and dealer invoice prices of the exact models that you are interested in as you want them equipped first. You can look up these prices in the Edmunds.com New Vehicle Pricing section.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi eschule. Saab is currently running an early lease termination program that you could use to get out of your lease early. Unfortunately though this program, if you are even eligible for it with ten payments left, only waived four months worth of payments. That means that you would still have to waste six of your remaining payments to get out of your car right now. It sounds like you waited too long to get new brake pads and may not have to replace the rotors, which is obviously very expensive. Unfortunately, I personally don't see any way for you to avoid having to pay to fix this.

Car_man
    Host
  • bluebird23bluebird23 Member Posts: 6
    Hi Car_man,

Can you tell me where I can find more details on the Saab early lease termination? Is this only when you purchase/lease another Saab? Or does it apply to any new GM lease or purchase?

Thanks!
  • saablcpsaablcp Member Posts: 195
    Just keep one thing in mind car_man...even though the two point mark-up by the dealer is more often than not done to earn finance profit,GMAC will approve applications which SFSC would have rejected if there are credit issues by accepting the contract with a MANDATORY two point increase to the standard rate.I don't know that this is the case in regard to this person but is a possible explanation.
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    Most DIY folks can do that job, using new Brembo (better than the OEMs) rotors, for less than $250. It's an easy job - I would suggest you get out your wrenches.
  • confused13confused13 Member Posts: 17
    Thanks Carman. This dealer said he would "give me" his "buy rate" of 4.35%. He also tried to tell me that the difference between invoice price and MSRP on this vehicle was only $600! Their price was about $1000 high. I walked.
  • confused13confused13 Member Posts: 17
    Not the case. I have very good credit score.
    Hi bluebird23. I'm not aware of any place on the web that contains information on the early lease termination program, but it definitely exists. I am not 100% positive, but I believe that you would be able to get out of your current Saab early if you purchase or lease any other GM vehicle, not just a new Saab.

Car_man
    Host
    Then your dealer is simply trying to maximize the profit in the deal by upping the back-end finance reserve. Those extra two points of interest are simply a source of dealer profit that the average consumer would have no way of tracking.I suggest you ask for an explanation.If they don't agree to revert to the standard lease rate take your business elsewhere.
    It does apply to other GM vehicles.Maximum payments currently forgiven is 2 months....anything in excess of 2 months is simply rolled into the next lease or paid off lump sum by the lessee.
  • adamz33adamz33 Member Posts: 1
    So I decided today to move ahead with the lease on an 07 Saab 9-3 Aero Sport Combi. Filled out the paperwork this AM, gave the dealer a deposit, supposed to pick the car up Thursday. About an hour ago I get a call from the dealer asking if I have another car loan - I said yes (had it since 2003, its set to mature next year, though I am on track to pay it off early). Original loan balance was around $28k, and I am down to a balance owed of $6700.00. I also have a current lease with VW Credit (made by last payment already, car goes back next week). I've never had a late payment on either the current loan or lease, and my credit is just under 700. Anyway, the dealer tells me now that GMAC wants the current loan paid off in full first - huh? He said the finance mgr at the dealership would speak to them in the morning, but given my payment history on the loan and lease, I can't see why they would need this. Any advice?
  • thegensthegens Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what the current lease rates and residual values are for 2008 Saabs?

If they vary by model, I am interested in a 9-3 2.0T Convertible or a 9-3 2.0T Wagon (Combi) or a 9-5 2.3T Wagon (Combi). I'd be interested in a short (24- or 27-month) lease or a longer one (up to 36- or 39-months.) If it matters, I'd like 12,000 miles/year (but could possibly live with 10,000 miles/year.)

Also, since Saab seems to be quoting lease rates as interest percentages (i.e. 3.35%) would it be accurate to convert this number into a "money factor" figure for lease calculation by dividing it by 2400?

THANK YOU for any information anyone can provide!
    Hi thegens. Saab's lease program for the 2008 9-3 does vary by model. Its current base lease rate and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2008 9-3 2.0T Convertible with 12,000 miles per year are 6.7% and 74%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are 6.7% and 64%.

Saab's base lease rate and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2008 8-3 2.0T Combi with 12,000 miles per year are 4.5% and 70%. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are 4.5% and 58%.

Saab's base lease rate and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2008 8-5 2.3T Combi with 12,000 miles per year are 3.35% and 69%. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are 3.35% and 57%.

You are correct, you can convert Saab's published lease rates into approximate money factor equivalents by dividing them by 2400.

Car_man
    Host
  • jpautojpauto Member Posts: 11
    Hi Car_man,

Just wondering if the $2,500 marketing support on the 2008 9-3 sportcombi is compatible with the October leasing program. The answer makes a significant difference in the monthly payments...

Thanks.
  • sje3333sje3333 Member Posts: 13
    What is the residual on a 39 month lease with 15,000 miles?

The car I am looking at is a 9-3 with the following options:

Moonroof Package
    Cold Weather package

The price I am being quoted is:

Base - 26,214
    Moonroof - 1,068
    Cold Weather - 490
    Destination - 745
    Port - 130
    Local Advertising - 300

Total Cost - 28,947+500 = $29,447

He is quoting me a monthly payment of $431.79 using a 4.35% rate and a 56% residual.

Here are the upfront fees:

First month payment - 431.79
    Security Deposit - $450
    Registration Fee - $167.16
    DMV - $5
    Documentary Fee - $350
    Acquisition Fee - $670
    Tax on upfront items - $71.23

Total upfront fees - $2,145.18

What do you think of the deal. Are the advertising and port fees realistic? How about the documentary fee and acquisition fee (that's a $1,000 between them)?

Thanks,

Steve
  • hintzhintz Member Posts: 71
    I was quoted much better rates on 08 2.0t for a 27mos lease w/15k per year and an aero. MSRP on 2.0t was 33.180 and payment was 429/mo. The aero w/msrp of 39110 was 503. plus 6% florida tax. just an fyi
  • tolleyinpghtolleyinpgh Member Posts: 1
    Okay, so tell me this isn't a joke. I get quoted the following for an 08 Aero SportCombi with automatic trans, touring pkg. and roof rails: 39 months, 12K per year,monthly payment of $606.96. Yes, $606.96. After I get up off the floor and ask the joker for the specifics he says (with a straight face): purchase price $38,869, 57% residual, 6% interest. I am no car buying genius by any stretch but this seems out of whack by at least $50 per month. At least! Am I crazy?
  • spike1282spike1282 Member Posts: 3
    I would like to find out some info about leasing either a 2007 or 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero. I would like a short lease, either 24 or 27 months, with 10,000 miles a year. (I barely drive) Does anyone know what the residuals would be? I am not sure how much of a price difference the 2008 will be over the 2007.

I can also get GM Supplier pricing and am not sure how that is factored into a lease. Does the GM Supplier price become CAP?

Thanks!
    You can't lease an 07 anymore only 08's.
  • kmurkmur Member Posts: 36
    CarMan -

Wondering what the money factor/residuals are on a 9-3 2.0T, 27 months, 15k miles per year...

Also, same question, only 36 month lease.

thanks
  • kmurkmur Member Posts: 36
    One other question.. I was at a dealer on Saturday who claimed the $2500 factory to dealer cash incentive does not apply to leases. Is this true?
  • squiredogssquiredogs Member Posts: 87
    I saw the "Fly Home" 9-3 lease offer of $312/mo 27 months, 27,000 miles with $2999 due. $19585 purchase price at lease end.That's for an '08 9-3 with manual and nothing else. I want to make a lease offer for a 9-3 with auto, cold weather, and moonroof that lists for $31,485, which is like $2200 more. How do I get a deal closer to the base?

In other words, what do ask for with respect to money factor and price? I understand it will be more, but I've read that I don't just walk up and ask for the lease at full MSRP, right?

So what is the money factor on the special offer lease, and can I ask for that rate from my dealer?

The $500 bonus cash can go toward my down payment, making it $2499 instead of $2999, correct?

I've never negotiated a lease before. Will I be able to ask for something like $500 over invoice, $2499 at signing including the $500 bonus, and the same money factor/residual. How much more does the lease end price go up, the full $2200?

Please help, I need to deal this month.

Thanks
    Dan
    Hi jpauto. Unfortunately, the $2,500 dealer cash that Saab is providing on the 2008 9-3 is not compatible with its special lease program. However, in mid-November Saab did introduce $500 bonus cash on this car that is compatible with it.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi Steve. Saab's current base lease rate and residual value for a 39 month lease of a 2008 9-3 with 15,000 miles per year are 4.35% and 56% respectively, just as you were quoted. Let's take a look at the selling price that you were quoted. It appears as though the dealer invoice price for a 2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Sport Sedan with the Moon Roof and Cold Weather Packages is $28,647. When we subtract the $500 bonus cash that is available on this car right now from this we arrive at $28,147. I would aim for a selling price of right around this or perhaps slightly over. Saab is really not doing that well right now. If you are in an area that has a decent level of competition, you shouldn't have much trouble getting a capitalized cost that's pretty close to dealer invoice. The $350 doc fee is nothing more than a way for this dealer to add additional profit to your deal, but the Saab charges an acquisition fee on every vehicle that it leases.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello tolleyinpgh. I can tell you that there's no way that I would pay $600 a month for any Saab 9-3. If I was in the market for one, I personally would shoot for a selling price of right around dealer invoice minus the $500 bonus cash that Saab is currently providing on it and then have the dealer that I was working with use Saab's base lease rate of 4.5% to calculate my monthly payment. You can look up this car's dealer invoice price by visiting the New Vehicle Pricing section of Edmunds.com. That should result in a lower payment than the one that you were initially quoted.

Car_man
    Host
    Should I ask for the 4.5% and the 56% residual if I want the low mileage lease price? I'm not sure what the lease rate is for the special 27 month 27,000 mile offer they currently have. I used the Edmunds site to determin that the car is $31,485 like they said, and the invoice is 29,840 without the $500 bonus cash.

I want the 27mo/27,000 lease, but am not sure of the residual and money factor/interest of the "Fly Home " base offer. Or even if they can give me those terms toward a non-base model.

Sorry for all of the questions, but I can find the numbers, even in their fine print...

Thanks!
    The residual is 69% on the 27mos. lease program with 12k. per mos, and the money factor thru gmac is 4.35%, but dealers tend to mark it up to 4.85% to make some extra $$. There is some Saab websites out there with lots of info. Email me if you have any questions, I'm a current owner of 2 saabs.
    Hey spike1282. Saab's current base lease rate and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero Sedan with 10,000 miles per year are 4.35% and 73%, respectively. The lease rate for an otherwise identical 27 month lease would be the same, but the residual value would be 1% lower. Saab is no longer offering leases on 2007 models.

You are correct, if you are eligible for GM's Supplier Purchase Program the selling price that the program provides will become the capitalized cost for your lease.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello kmur. Saab's current base lease rate and residual value for a 27 month lease of a 2008 9-3 2.0T Sedan with 15,000 miles per year are 4.35% and 68%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are 4.35% and 57%. As you can see, Saab publishes lease rates instead of money factors for the vehicles that it leases. You can convert its published lease rates into approximate money factor equivalents by dividing them by 2400. When negotiating your lease, make sure to take advantage of the $500 bonus cash that Saab is providing on this model.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey kmur. What you were told is correct. The $2,500 dealer cash that Saab is currently providing on the 2008 9-3 is not compatible with its special lease program, but Saab is now providing $500 bonus cash on this model that is.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi Dan. Since you have never negotiated a lease before, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. The best way to get a good deal on the Saab that you are interested in leasing is to negotiate as low a selling price as possible on it. If I was in the market for a 9-3 right now, I personally would shoot for a price of right around dealer invoice and then have the dealer subtract the $500 bonus cash that is available on this model from that. You can look up the dealer invoice price of the car that you are interested in by visiting the New Vehicle Pricing section of Edmunds.com.

As far as this car's lease program goes, Saab's current base lease rate and residual value for a 27 month lease of a 2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T with 12,000 miles per year are 4.35% and 69%, respectively. Make sure that the dealer you are working with uses this lease rate to calculate your car's lease payment.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey squiredogs. Please see my previous post for the information that you're looking for. Thanks and let me know if you have any other questions.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi again Car Man - I sent you an email with this question a minute ago. I don't know which way is better. I'm going today, so I'm doing both -

I was originally going to lease a '08 9-3 combi, but have decided to buy. I have the GM "Pull Ahead" offer of $1000, as I have a GMAC lease that's ending. There's the "Fly Home" $500 national offer, and I see there's a $2500 factory-dealer incentive.

Can I get all three, or is there a limit on this?

I'm going today, please help ASAP.

Thanks!
  • drfnwdrfnw Member Posts: 1
    My local Saab dealer has offered a great lease cap. cost on a leftover 07 convertible (10K off sticker,$500 more off for purchase due to higher loyalty allowance). What I don't know is the residual picture and the interest rate for top tier borrower. Any insights out there before I go talk to the dealer? Thanks.
  • chazbugchazbug Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

I was hoping I could ask you some questions about a deal that I’m about to make on a new 2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T sedan. Thanks in advance for your help!

Here are the details:

-39 month lease
    -10,000 miles per year
    -Jet Black Metallic Paint
    -Automatic Transmission
    -Premium Package
    -Moonroof
    -Cold Weather Package

Dealer quoted MSRP: 33,730 (verified on Edmunds.com). Residual value of $20,238 (60% of 33,730)

Negotiated Price: $31,674 (includes $500 customer-cash rebate)

Question #1: The Dealer is telling me that he’s giving me this car for $400 less than invoice. I don’t believe this is true, since the Invoice on Edmunds.com is $31,839 w/o the $500 customer-cash rebate, $31,339 with it. Which of these is the true Invoice Price? On the one hand, I don’t believe I’m necessarily getting hosed, but on the other hand, I don’t think I’m getting this great deal either—II believe I’m getting the car for about what it’s worth.

Question #2: When I look at the invoice that the Dealer faxed me, it appears that he’s giving me the invoice price for each option. However, the price of $31,674 also includes a $745 Destination Charge (verified on Edmunds.com), $329.85 Dealer Contribution, and $329.85 Group Contribution. Are these latter two charges excessive? Should I ask to have them removed, hence lowering my Cap Cost?

Question #3: I’m putting $2912 down. This includes the first monthly payment of $388 + 695 Bank Fee,+ $400 Security Deposit + $12.50 NY State tire recycling fee + $1311 NY State Sales Tax (at a rate of 8.375%) + $45 “Dealer’s Optional Fee For Processing Application For Registration And/Or Certificate of Title, And For Securing Special Or Distinctive Plates if Applicable” + $10 NY State Inspection + $50 Fuel. The Dealer indicated that the $400 Security Deposit is refunded at the conclusion of the lease and couldn’t be waived because I’m a new Saab Customer, and that the $695 Bank Fee could not be waived. Do any of these other charges seem excessive or qualify as unnecessary dealer’s fees?

Question #4: I left a $500 deposit, so I’ll be giving the Dealer the $2412 balance on Saturday. He informed me that I needed to give him a Bank or Certified Check. Is this typical?

Question #5: The Dealer indicated that I would have to also pay $140 for new license plates for 2 years. Doesn’t this seem a bit high?

Question #6: I noticed on Edmunds.com that there is $2500 Manufacturer Cash to Dealer Marketing Support. It says that Dealer Participation may vary. I asked the Dealer if there were additional incentives beyond the $500 Customer-Cash, such as marketing support, and he said that there weren’t. Again, is there something he’s not telling me? Should I push back on this?

Question #7: Overall, what do you think of this deal?

Thanks so much!!!
    1)edmunds.com is accurate only up to a point regarding invoices(see answer 2)
    2)the dealer ad group charges are a part of the price of the car ...the dealer does not recoup them."Removing them" is no different than him lowering his selling price by $659.00.
    3)The dealer charging you $50.00 for putting fuel in the car is total B.S.! A full tank of fuel at delivery is a Saab dedicated delivery procedure requirement and the dealer is reimbursed @ a market value per /gallon amount.The bank fee is accurate and is charged by G.M.A.C.,and is not waiveable by the dealer.Bank Fees are charged by ALL Saabs competitors.At $695.00 the fee is one of the lowest(check BMW'S and M-B'S lease ads for example).
    The rest of the charges are set or capped by N.Y. State and out of the dealers control.
    4)How funds are collected is just a matter of policy.Your questions regarding validity of most charges and the legitmacy of the invoice may have him concerned about accepting a personal check for the balance.
    5)Another charge set by your state.
    6)The $2,500 is for a cash transaction or a conventional finance package in lieu of a promotional interest rate.It's
    one from column A,or B,or C.No "combo platters" allowed.
    7)Do you only go to see movies after you read the reviews?
    You forgot to post the most important part. What is the payment?
    Thanks for your help. This is my first time buying/leasing a new vehicle, so if I seemed a little inseure, that's why. I feel pretty good about the deal that I'm getting, but thought it wouldn't hurt to get someone else's take. Thanks again.
    $388/month.
  • alphaprojecttalphaprojectt Member Posts: 2
    What dealership was this at for the 07 convertable? Was it their last 07 or did they have others? I'd be really interested in talking to them if they had more than 1! Thanks!
    Sounds like a decent deal on the lease end, but the fees need to be negotiated out. He is giving you Saab's rate of 4.35%, which is good because sometimes it is marked up. So the lease part looks like this with no money towards cap reduction:
    MSRP: 33730
    Sales Price: 31764
    Residual : 60%
    Money Factor: .0018125
    Effective APR: 4.35%
    Term: 39
    Residual: 20238
    Depreciation: 11526
    Monthly Depreciation: 295.54
    Monthly Finance Fee: 94.25
    Total Monthly Payment: 389.79

Now here is what you need to do to improve this deal
    1) Saab's lease acquisition fee is $595. They are marking it up $100 on you. Tell them you know it's $595, and that is what you expect to pay.
    2) The security deposit is BS. I believe this buys the interest rate down, but the rate is 4.35 without the deposit, so they are making more money because of this. I would negotiate this out.
    3) Like the other poster stated, the gas fee is BS. The $45 dollar dealer fee also sounds like BS. It's called added dealer profit, and I would negotiate it out.

So you should be able to negotiate a down payment of $2316 = $388 + 595 Bank Fee,+$12.50 NY State tire recycling fee + $1311 NY State Sales Tax (at a rate of 8.375%) + $10 NY State Inspection

They probably will balk at this, but if you threaten to walk, or tell them you got a better deal elsewhere, they will likely come around.

Good luck. I just leased one myself. It was a painwith all the games they tried to play. I had to walk out of the finance office twice when signing the papers because they tried to sneak extra fee's in there. So keep on your toes.

p.s. That sucks that NY makes you pay the tax up front. One of the big advantages of leasing for me is you only pay tax on the monthly payment, so your only paying on the depreciation, not the full value of the car.
    N.Y.,N.J. and I believe CT. charge the $695.00 bank fee.The additional $100.00 is a result of State mandated
    charges.It's only within the last two years or so that you are again able to lease a car in those states.Liability issues being worked out in the judicial system completely eliminated closed end leasing in those states for a couple of years,you could only do a Balloon note.So forget the idea that it's a dealer mark-up and a negotiable item.
    The rate is currently based at 4.35% and you have to have Saab lease loyalty or owner loyalty eligibility for an automatic waiver of security deposit otherwise the rate DOES have to be marked up .50%.
    You honestly think this guy should make an issue over a $45.00 fee paperwork processing fee?How long did it take you to work out the paperwork and fees on your home mortgage!!??...Good Grief!
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    45 dollars is nothing for a doc fee. Drive over to CT sometime and it is unlikely you will find a doc fee of less then 300 dollars for premium brands and in some cases the doc fee is over 500 dollars.

Also in NY I don't think they charge sales tax on the doc fee so that helps too.
  • dgeblerdgebler Member Posts: 19
    Thanks to all who provided such great information in December. I am looking to lease a 9-3 2.0T with the Premium Pkg + Moonroof, AT, etc.

Dealer quoted $423 per month for 27 months at 12,000 per year. based on earlier discussion of Residual Value for 27 months at 69% and MF at 4.35%, this lease amount seems high.

Does anyone have recent experience to share. Thanks
  • heathmacheathmac Member Posts: 9
    Hi Dgebler - I am just starting the process of leasing another Saab 9-3 and this what a deal gave me over email without any negoiations:

This is for a metallic paint 93 sedan 2.0T with sunroof and cold weather package and manual transmission.

MSRP 30 685

With $ 3000 down
    $ 0 security deposit
    $ 500 lease loyalty rebate
    27 month lease 12 000 miles per year
    Payment $ 374 per month
    Includes Maine state tax
    Includes $ 24 title fee
    Includes $ 595 bank acquisition fee
    Includes $ 278 documentation fee
  • heathmacheathmac Member Posts: 9
    What do you think of this deal?

Metallic paint, 2008 93 sedan 2.0T cold weather package, Moonroof and navigation.

MSRP $ 33 270
    Sale price $ 31 921
    With $ 3000 down
    $ 0 security deposit
    $ 500 lease loyalty rebate
    36 month lease 12 000 miles per year
    Payment $ 407.96 per month
    The money due at signing includes your 1st months payment
    Includes costs for swapping the vehicle in for a max of $ 250 miles
    Includes Maine state tax
    Includes $ 24 title fee
    Includes $ 595 bank acquisition fee
    Includes $ 278 documentation fee
    Residual 58 %
    Interest rate 5.35%
    Residual $ 19,296.60
  • dgeblerdgebler Member Posts: 19
    A local dealer quoted me $423 per month for 27 months at 12K per year with $0 cap reduction and a drive away payment of $423.

This is for a 2.0T AT with premium, moonroof and winter packages but w/o navi
This discussion has been closed.