Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-3 Lease Questions

Comments

• heathmacheathmac Member Posts: 9
    That is a much better deal than I was getting. I was speaking with one dealer today and asked them why he was quoting me an APR of 5.35% and he never returned my voice mail.

My problem is that none of the dealerships have the car that I want and have to find a dealer that does. I am thinking about just driving down to Mass considering it is only an hour and half from where I live and deal with that deal directly.
  • ironhead1980ironhead1980 Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me the MF and RES value for the month of Feb. on a 9-3 Conv.
    standard?

Dealership gave me a 65% RES, which I think it's too high and a MF of .003 (7.20% way too high)

39 mo
    12k miles

I'll appreciate the info as I need to make the deal by Saturday (1,000.00 cash back ends in FL)
  • cdutchcdutch Member Posts: 3
    CarMan,

Thanks for all you do here. I'd appreciate your thoughts on a lease I was offered for a Saab 9-3 Sport Sedan with a 27 month term and 12,000 miles per year. Options include, cold package, 17" alloy wheels, and moonroof package.

Vehicle Price: $31,273 (includes $500 rebate and $595 acquisiton fee rolled in)
    Residual Value $22,242,15
    Lease Rate: 4.35%
    Monthly base payment: $459.63
    After 6% Michigan Sales Tax: $459.63
    Upfront fees include a doc fee of $75 (which I plan to try to negotiate out), $15 title fee, $8 for plates, and $34.50 in taxes.

For some reason, this seems a bit high and it includes GM supplier discount. If I don't roll the aqcuistion fee, my guess is the payment drops by about $30 per month. Still, it seems a bit high.

Am I missing something?
  • cdutchcdutch Member Posts: 3
    My apologies - the base payment is $433.61. For reference, MSRP is $32,235.
  • saablcpsaablcp Member Posts: 195
    The res.Pct. @65% is exactly right for a 9-3 Aero Conv. for 39 mos.,15K. per/yr.Interest rate is marked up .50%,from 6.70%,possibly to waive your security deposit.Otherwise these are the correct lease parameters through at least March 31.If you are in fact looking at a 2.0T model,then the residual value for 39mos.,12k.per/yr. should actually be 68%! Dealers are allowed to mark rate up as much as 1%,residual values are not subject to adjustment by the dealer in any other way than deductions for added length of term(eg.39mos.vs.36mos.)and more or less mileage allowance.And in the case of res.pct. there are only two numbers applicable .......the right one and everything else(also known as the WRONG one!lol!)
  • sheepdog1sheepdog1 Member Posts: 36
    I noticed some advertised lease 27 mo lease specials in Fl for March. I'm interested. Do you have the details?
  • ilovemysaabilovemysaab Member Posts: 2
    Just got this last week in Michigan.

2008 Saab 9-3 aero w/ touring package and winter package. Sunroof standard.

Total Down : $1,300
    Monthly Payment: 460
    Mileage/yr: 15000
    Months: 27

I prob could have gotten it down a little but no regrets, i love this car
    Thanks for the info. What was the money factor rate?
  • ilovemysaabilovemysaab Member Posts: 2
    Not a clue, how do I check?
    Look on your contract for money factor or interest rate. On a lease you need to know the residual value or what they think the car will be worth at the end of the lease (the higher the better since you're paying on the difference between the cap cost reduction=sales price and the residual value, most manufacturers prop up the residual value in order to move metal) but you definitely don't want to purchase it at the end of the lease because the inflated price doesn't match the market price. the cap cost reduction is msrp-any rebates or dealer reductions=sales price. Then you need to know the money factor or interest rate. If it is a wierd number then usally can multiply it by 2400 to arrive at an interest rate. Manufacturers also usually have a low money factor rate also to subsidize leases but this is where dealers can mark it up but you probably got the Saab Spring deal which is a national rate.
  • pcampospcampos Member Posts: 12
    Hi, I'm posting this here because the people answering questions in this thread seem very knowledgeable . . . I'm considering a Saab 2002 9-3 SE and there's a huge difference between the KBB price ($9200) and the Edmunds price ($6500). This is for a private party sale for a car in good condition with 71,000 miles on it. I'm wondering which price is more realistic.
    .........and if you check NADA Blue Book you'll get yet another price!These resources are much more reliable as an info gathering starting point to negotiate intelligently on the price of a new car as opposed to used cars.If used car pricing,as a purchase or a trade,were not subject to things like market conditions,seasonality and regional demands there would be much less of a discrepancy regarding the prices you are seeing as you survey different sites.The accurate price more often than not is going to be somewhere around an average of all three sites pricing.
  • dammitjim1dammitjim1 Member Posts: 95
    Does anybody have info on lease rates for this model? I am getting dealer quotes of $550/month, which seems high to me. Any info would be appreciated.
    The best thing is to type in 2008 Saab 9-3 Turbo-X lease aol in the google box and a list of newspaper lease deals will pop up on the aol site!
    First point:With the Turbo-X still 2 months from arriving in U.S. showrooms you will not find leasing info ANYWHERE...reason being it hasn't been announced yet.And while I'm sure the Turbo-X will be available to lease,with 600 total units available for sale in the entire U.S.A. it's unlikely you will see any dramatic subsidies or rebates,if any at all.
    I know that the car is not available yet, and I tend to agree on the lack of discounts. I have read that the XWD package and a higher boost turbo will be offered on the 93 Aero later this year. These features are already checkbox items on Carsdirect.com, where a fully loaded version can be bought (or ordered at least) for $38272, which is a nice discount against an invoice price of $41772. It seems like a better bet to wait for those that make the jump for a limited edition model. Do you have any thoughts on likely lease rates based on the above buy price once the XWD is generally available on the 93 Aero?
  • daks11daks11 Member Posts: 2
    I've negotiated the price on a 2008 2.0T, manual transmission, with cold weather package down to 26K. I was presented with a lease price on this car of 410 a month with 2500 down and 15K miles per year. Can I expect do any better on the price? any feed back is greatly appreciated
    That seems very high for a negotiated price of $26K and such a large down payment. I would certainly shop around and also check the selling price relative to dealer invoice price. I would shoot for at or below invoice before any rebates or incentives are applied.
  • daks11daks11 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the feed back, It seemed high to me as well. What should/can I expect to pay for the above mentioned?
  • box3box3 Member Posts: 2
    I recently got a 9-3 with Auto Tran, bose, cold weather pkg, moonroof pkg, 17 in wheels and 18k yr for 27 months for around 420 with 2900 down (minus 2000 rebate from gm).
    What 2K.from G.M.? Current lease incentives on a 9-3 are $500 for lease /owner loyalty and $500 March sales incentive.Where's the other $1,000 coming from? If you are referring to the discount available to G.M.Employee purchase program discounts,fine...but thats not pertinent for Joe Average buyer.
  • box3box3 Member Posts: 2
    The 2k was a "conquest" offer where they paid up to 2k if you had lease payments with months remaining on a non gm car. You get cash back or apply to new car. Got it in the mail, but not sure how I got it.
    Legitimate savings....only available to those who received the mail solicitation,however.
  • sarah7330sarah7330 Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to leasing and interested in some feedback- I've been offered a 27month 12K lease on a 2008 9-3 2.0T - $500 cash incentive, $1000 down. Monthly payments $350, including all taxes/fees. This is based on a vehicle price of $30,500. Is this a solid deal or should I be negotiating down the vehicle price?

Thanks.
    What options have you selected with the car? If you're just getting the base model, that price isn't so great.
    I would be interested in why you have that opinion?What factual info is it based on?So much of this second party opinion sharing takes place on these boards,other than Car Guy,how,where and from whom do you get your info to pass your opinions?By the way here's a car price axiom:Definition of a good car deal=whatever I paid for MY car.Definition of a bad car deal=whatever you paid for YOUR car!
    The factual basis my opinion is based on is quotes and advertised lease rates I've seen for the car in question which were substantially lower than what the author posted - assuming the base model is what was referred to, which is why I asked the question on how the car was equipped.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Advertised leases never include taxes and he said his lease did include taxes. Many times advertised leases have a large amount for cap cost reduction and he/she had only 1,000 dollars down which would barely cover first months payment and startups. Finally advertised leases are usually 10,000 miles a year and this one was 12,000. It seems reasonable to me and if it is a high then it is only a little bit. Maybe 325-315 a month is the real bottom line.
  • jarred1jarred1 Member Posts: 1
    sarah,

what options did it come with and how do i get that offer
    I was told 2800 down then 380 a month for the 9-3 2.0 with automamatic moon roof cold weather package
    thanks
  • tjones39tjones39 Member Posts: 31
    What are the lease rates and residuals for April/May for the 2.0 sedan or sportcombi for 24 to 27 month lease at either 12 to 15k miles? Anyone know and I assume that you can apply the $2500 incentive to the cap cost reduction also? Thanks for the information.
  • therastheras Member Posts: 95
    I too am interested in the residuals and money factors for the Saab 93 2.0T and Aero Sport Sedans. I am looking at a 2 or 3 year lease with 10K miles. I am also eligible for any lease loyalty offers. Thanks in advance.
  • llevyllevy Member Posts: 5
    Lease up at end month. New 2008 2.0T awaits Dealer said 27 mo lease is sweet spot. Was told residual is .71 for 10K and Interest rate is 4.35%. I get $1000 loyalty, but my question is twofold: Is there any extra cash for either the dealer or customer on leases? Is anyone negotiating BELOW invoice price (before any and all rebates/cash) for the Cap cost?

No posts since 4/23? Is anyone out there buying or leasing Saab's :confuse:

Thanks,

LL
  • therastheras Member Posts: 95
    I agree LL! Why isn't anyone leasing these great cars? My dealer also touted the 27 month lease with the same residual and money factor, but I still have the same questions as you.
  • cartalk8cartalk8 Member Posts: 6
    Looking for information on leasing a 9-3 SportCombi 2.0T automatic with moonroof, heated seats, and premium Bose radio (MSRP $34,090). Specifically looking for current residual and money factor rates. If anyone has any information please let me know. Lease details...27 month 12k and 15k miles per year.
    I was impatient and asked the dealer for a quote. Wouldn't give me straight figures other than lease figures for a base with automatic (MSRP 30,980).

27 months
    15k miles per month
    1,5430.46 in driveoff
    payment is 523.57 including CA (7.75%) tax

Don't think it is a good deal. What do you guys think?
  • jackforettejackforette Member Posts: 19
    That is an awful quote. Typical of the first quote you get from a dealer which is usually at least $100 more than what you can get it for. Have you looked at the lease deals on the Audi A4. Here in NC you can get a 36 month lease on a 2008 A4 with 15k miles, $0 down, taxes in monthly payment and $575 due at signing on an MSRP of $32,750 for $375/month. I test drove both the A4 and the 9-3 and thought the A4 was the far superior car and couldn't believe how non-competitive Saab was on price. No one is buying the Saab and they are still pricing them as if they were a BMW 3 series which they very clearly are not which is evident after you test drive them. I currently drive an Infiniti G35 and the Saab is very much inferior to the G35 in peformance and handling yet I was quoted a higher lease price for the 9-3 than what I pay for my G35. Now I know why no one is buying/leasing Saabs.
    jackforette. Thanks for the reply. How funny...I currently drive an '05 G35 sedan. Nice choice! I am in the market for a wagon (lease up in August on the G). The A4 sedan is definitely very competitive compared to the Saab 9-3. Although, the A4 Avant (wagon) is absolutely rediculous because every dealership has one or two and they are asking somewhere in the $550-$600 per month range. I was expecting the Saab to be somewhere around $400. Also looked at the VW Passat Wagon. Very inexpensive....but it is a VW. So far I think I like the Volvo V70.
    I see what you mean about the A4 Avant Wagon, my local dealer only has 3 on the lot. I too thought the 9-3 would be about $400 month because that is how much it should be when compared to the competition but I guess the $500 plus quotes we have been receiving for the 9-3 shows why Saab is in so much trouble. The VW Passat is very nice but I am so afraid of their reliability woes which VW has not addressed for years now. If Hyundai can make such great strides in this area, why can't VW? They make nice cars that drive well with lovely interiors but their reliability problems scare away many customers. I don't think you can go wrong with the V70. Good Luck.
  • matrsoskinmatrsoskin Member Posts: 32
    ...but I am so afraid of their reliability woes which VW has not addressed for years now. If Hyundai can make such great strides in this area, why can't VW?

Not true. VW Rabbit has been recently named by Consumer Reports as a top choice in the hatchback category toppling Mazda3 for the first time. One of the main reasons: it now has better than average reliability. Yet, Consumer Reports has also put VW Jetta (2.5 L model) on its Recommended list because 2.5 L Jetta has reached the average reliability rating.
    How about the Passat, Beetle and Touareg? Terrible reliability. That is VW's achilles heel. And if the best you can do is score average with 2 very recent models, that makes it very hard to compete with Toyota, Honda, Nissan etc. who have built up a a reputation over many years of high quality/reliability. VW must string a number of years together of ABOVE average reliability across their model lineup to compete with the Japanese makes and right now they have a long way to go unfortunately. Like I said, they make nice looking cars that drive very well and have lovely interiors and the reason they don't sell nearly as well as their competition is reliability. Has been there problem and still is.
    Please read what you write: you were saying that VW has not been able to address its reliability problems and I presented you with the facts indicating otherwise. VW is making a progress.

I was not saying that VW as a brand was perfect: no such brand exists. Just look at the number of vehicles that have been recently recalled by Toyota as well as the respective reasons: for example, a possibility for Prius totally losing steering and crashing due to front axle failure? Should I also mention Toyota engine sludge
    issues in the older models as well as transmission problems in the recent generation of Camry and Avalon that were not recalled? Yet, the worse than average reliability rating which has been recently "earned" by Toyota Tundra? And do not get me started with the multiple reliability problems in the Nissan "citadel of quality": Quest, Titan, Armada, previous Sentra model?

Terrible reliability. That is VW's achilles heel. No, its is not. The strong euro is and misguided marketing strategy.

And if the best you can do is score average with 2 very recent models VW Rabbit has better than average reliabilty and Jetta (2.5L model) is rated average. You have missed it. FYI, MkV Golf was introduced in the Europe in 2003 and came to the US in 2006 as the Rabbit model. The current Jetta variant has been introduced to the US market in 2005.

VW must string a number of years together of ABOVE average reliability across their model lineup to compete with the Japanese makes and right now they have a long way to go unfortunately To the contrary, VW apparently has no problems competing with the other car makers worldwide because it has posted the record sale numbers and profit in 2007 as well as in the first quoter of 2008.

The point that I am trying to make is: do not repeat old cliches found in the mainstream media. Sometimes, It could get you into trouble like it happened recently to a conservative radio host who was talking about appeasement on Chris Matthews show.
    For anyone to compare the quality and reliability of Toyota, Honda and Nissan over the last decade to that of VW is silly. Pick up any car magazine or read any car review website or Consumer Reports or JD Power and reliability concerns are always present when reviewing any VW and for many years they have ranked far behind all of the Big 3 Japanese makes. You would have to be from Mars to disagree on this point (or not be able to read or form thought based on fact.)
    The strong Euro hurts VW on price but reliability/quality is their major achilles heel which VW admits they are working on. It is tough for one to argue that reliability is not a problem for VW when the company admits it is a major problem they are trying to fix.
    If the best you can do is brag about one average car and one very recent above average score in reliability for VW, you are playing a very weak hand. Passat, Touareg, Beetle anyone?Again, if VW scores above average across their model line for the next decade, I might take you seriously but right now I'm laughing.
    No cliches here. Just empirical fact presented in many different forms by many different objective sources. Yours is just opinion. Similar to a crazy preacher we all know who likes to use the phrase "God Damn America" when speaking to his flock which uncludes a very liberal untested and untruthful Presidential candidate. Ooops!
    Please put aside your talking points and read your previous posts as well as mine.

For anyone to compare the quality and reliability of Toyota, Honda and Nissan over the last decade to that of VW is silly. I was not making a comparison. I demonstrated that no car maker was perfect and VW was working on its reliability issues and making a good progress. Why, do you think, Kelly Blue Book has recently named VW as a 2008 Best Resale Value Brand?
    You seemed to agree that Toyota and Nissan did have and do have reliability issues. Come on, you know it, I know it and even Toyota president has publicly admitted that his company car quality has been slipping recently.

The strong Euro hurts VW on price ... and, therefore, on sales too? But VW is doing just fine outside of the North America market.

if the best you can do is brag about one average car and one very recent above average score in reliability for VW, you are playing a very weak hand. Passat, Touareg, Beetle anyone? Those models are not the bread and butter ones for VW: the Jetta (Bora) and Golf/Rabbit are. Again, I am not saying that VW is perfect, I just countered your argument that VW could do (or not doing) nothing about its quality issues.

...I might take you seriously but right now I'm laughing. Are you OK?

Yours is just opinion. Nope, "Just the facts mam, just the facts".
    I'm perfectly fine my friend but your argument is silly. I have already re-read all of the posts and your argument still remains silly.
    Toyota slipping still places them higher than anything VW does reliability wise. VW's remain famously (or infamously) unreliable. I hope the small gains they have made making 2 of there models somewhat more acceptable in terms of reliability continue across their entire model lineup for the next 10 years and then someone can mention them in the same sentence as the Japanese makes without everyone laughing. Toyota has a stellar reputation for quality/reliability over many years with very few hiccups. VW has a horrible reputation for quality over many years with very few successes. Yet you try to cloud the debate by lumping these 2 very different company histories together by saying no car maker is perfect as if the recent troubles of Toyota negate their terrific brand history just as VW's limited recent success negates their awful brand history. See how that works? Toyota has recent problems and VW has limited recent success so see, no car maker is perfect. You are doing logical gymnastics here desperately trying to prove your point to no avail Do yourself a favor, buy a copy of Consumer Reports for 2008 cars and compare VW to Toyota for reliabilty history and to humor yourself ignore the history and just concetrate on recent dates to test your opinion and notice how many cars Toyotas cannot recommend due to reliability problems compared to VW. Andd note how many 2008 VW's cannot be recommended due to reliability problems. Clearly, VW has not made much progress with new model VW's reliability issues which contradicts your opinion with research based fact Game, Set, Match.
  • dadozerdadozer Member Posts: 1
    I was offered a saab 9-3 auto, cold weather, moonroof for 3200 out of pocket and a monthly payment of 368/month. Is this a good deal? If not what should I be paying?

Selling Price-31,065
    Unfortunately, Saab does not appear to be offering good deals right now on the 9-3. My advice would be to never put money down on a lease. If your car gets stolen or is totaled, you will never get that money back so poof, $3200 of your money is gone as is the car you had and you have to start fresh on a new car and a new deal.
  • chazbugchazbug Member Posts: 4
    The comment about not putting any money down is correct. However, in my experience with a couple of Saab dealers, they're not very pro "sign and drive" w/no money down. They try to convince you that it's a "cash flow" issue. Yes, by putting more down upfront you're not paying as much in taxes in the end. However, putting money down puts you at risk as was stated, and, that's money you can't invest elsewhere. With no money down your monthly price will be higher than $368/month--figure mid $400s. The price that was quoted to you with money down seems about the going rate. This past December I put $3000 down and pay roughtly $386/month for a 9-3 automatic, moonroof, cold weather package, premium package, jet black metallic, standard radio, standard seats, standard wheels. If I had to do over again, I would have gone with an '07 60th Anniversary Edition last September, which I could have gotten with the Aero type seats and leather for $340/month with that kind of money down. Or, if you're not in a hurry, wait until the summer/early Fall--if sales are down this year as others have stated, they'll start having their "Fire Sale" and perhaps you'll get an even better deal.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi tjones39. Saab's current base lease rate and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2008 9-3 2.0T Sedan with 15,000 miles per year are 4.35% and 69%, respectively. The lease rate for an otherwise identical 27 month lease is the same, but its residual value would be 1% lower. If you were to lease with only 12,000 miles per year, both of these residual values would be 1% higher. The $2,500 dealer cash that is currently available on this car is not compatible with its special lease program.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hello theras. You can get the 2.0T data that you are interested in from my previous post. Saab's current base lease rate and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2008 9-3 Aero Sedan with 10,000 miles per year are 4.35% and 73%. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are 4.35% and 62%. As a current Saab owner or lessee, you are eligible for a $1,000 cash incentive on the '08 9-3.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi everyone. While the debate about the quality of Volkswagen's vehicles compared to that of other manufacturers' is interesting, it is off-topic. Please try to keep the discussion focused on leasing Saabs, specifically the 9-3. Thanks.

Car_man
    Host
This discussion has been closed.