Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-3 Lease Questions

15678911»

Comments

• therastheras Member Posts: 95
    I appreciate the assistance Car_Man. I have decided to hold off on Saab's pull ahead offer due to model availability, but may be seeking an update on your information in a month or two. Thanks again!
  • saableasesaablease Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to lease a 2008 Saab Aero Sedan (w/ Automatic Transmission) w/ 15K miles/year. Since the Aero already includes many upgrades, I would not need any additional options. What would I expect a good deal to be on the sales price as well as my monthly payment and down payment?

My initial research suggests that the dealers in S. Florida have very limited quantities of the 2008 Aero 4-door sedan.

Thanks, in advance.
  • dammitjim1dammitjim1 Member Posts: 95
    Hi all,

A local dealer on LI has 2 Turbo X models in stock, one in auto, 1 manual, both with Cold Weather and Touring packages. I opted for the 6-speed and requested an internet quote. I didn't get back complete info such as the buy price the lease is based on, money factor or residual, but what I did get back was enough to make me head for the door, so to speak. Here it is:

$619 per month X 39 @ 12K miles per year and $4,141 up-front

27 month lease would run $672 per month with $3,725 up-front

Paying that kind of money for any Saab, even a limited edition model, strikes me as being just about nuts. I am working to get the rest of the info that led to that pricing, but I would definitely not move on this car with those numbers.

Chime in and let me know what you think - would anybody take a Turbo-X with those kind of lease numbers?
  • dilbert2dilbert2 Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone give the residual & money factor for a 36 and 39 month 12,000 per year 9-3 2.0t sportcombi Lease. Dealer has told me that there is only $900 dollars markup in these cars and their second pencil had a $1306 discount. How much markup really is in these without getting into dealer cash?

is this fair?
    39 mo. 12k / yr.
    $495.00 /mo.
    $34,615 MSRP
    $33,309.84 Selling Price
    $1500 cash + $502 GM card = $2002 + $495(first month) drive off.
    so $2497 due at signing
  • saablcpsaablcp Member Posts: 195
    Take a Turbo-X at those numbers compared to what?How much less is a comparably equipped 330ix going to run you?The new Audi 3.0 Quattro when available?My impression from your statement of "that kind of money for any Saab" seems to suggest a predisposition that this car is inherently inferior to other brands in this segment.Might I suggest a test drive......then see if you still feel this way.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    No problem, theras. Talk to you then.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Dilbert2, Saab Financial Services Corp. current base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T SportCombi with 12,000 miles per year are 5.1% and 58%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 39 month lease are 5.1% and 57%. As you can see, GMAC publishes lease rates instead of money factors for the vehicles that it leases. You can convert its published lease rates into approximate money factor equivalents by dividing them by 2400.

You can look up exactly how much of a spread there is between this car's full MSRP and its dealer invoice price by visiting the New Vehicle Pricing section of Edmunds.com.

Car_man
    Host
  • dilbert2dilbert2 Member Posts: 3
    Mighty abliged Car_man.
  • jkotlerjkotler Member Posts: 1
    I am going to lease/buy a new 9-3 2.0 this week and want to know how much I should pay, pre-tax, for a base (manual trans) 9-3 with nothing down. Assume that we're looking at a 27 month lease with 12k per year. Also, is it possible to get a moonroof and the sport seats added as an option, and how much would that add to the lease? Can I negoatiate a lower payment if I'm willing to accept 10k miles per year?

Any help that you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I am ready to pull the trigger but need to know that I'm getting a good deal.
    Hi Car Man,

I'm back. Could you update the lease information for an 08 93 2.0T sedan? I am looking at the 27 month lease with 10,000 miles per year.

Thanks much!!
  • wpbondwpbond Member Posts: 2
    Car_Man,

Do you have the latest lease info for the 2008 Saab 9-3 Sport Combi Aero? I'm looking at an XWD version, but I understand that this is still just considered an Aero version option and doesn't change the lease variables.

So what is the current money factor and residual for a 27 month lease with 15K miles per year? Also, is Saab providing any lease cash for this model currently? I already can qualify for the $1000 Loyalty Lease Cash.

Thanks!
    You're very welcome, dilbert2.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi jkotler. I believe that 10,000 miles per year is the lowest mileage allowance that Saab Financial Services Corp. offers on leases.

The best way to assure that you are getting a good deal on the 9-3 that you want is to shop around for the lowest possible selling price and then have the dealer that you decide to go with calculate your car's monthly payment using its base lease rate...which in this case is 4.95%.

Car_man
    Host
    Welcome back theras. SFSC's current base lease rate and residual value for a 27 month lease of a 2008 9-3 2.0T Sedan with 10,000 miles per year are 4.95% and 71%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    You are correct, wpbond. Options have no impact upon this car's lease program. Saab Financial Services Corp.'s current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 27 month lease of a 2008 9-3 Sport Combi Aero with 15,000 miles per year are 5.1% and 69%, respectively. Other than owner loyalty cash, I don't believe that Saab is providing any cash incentives on leases of this model right now.

Car_man
    Host
    Thanks for the information. My dealer is saying the lease rate is 5.65. Are they just marking it up?
  • notsocarsmartnotsocarsmart Member Posts: 4
    I am new at leasing and a little scared to do this myself.
    I am looking at a Hyundai Sonata gls 4dr 4cyl and the dealer really has me confused,
    I have tried to research but the formula he is using doesn’t make sense.

Rebate 2,000.00
    Msrp 20,135.00
    Lev% 63%
    Lease end value 12,685.05
    Term 24
    Money fact sell rate 0.00140
    Total sales tax 474.04
    --------------------------------
    Initial cap cost 18201.00
    Total add cap costs 845.00
    Cash cap reduction 1,995.00
    Adjusted cap cost 15,051.00
    Base monthly rental 137.41
    Total annual fees 45.00
    Total initial fees 20.00
    Cap tax 6.5% 259.68
    Amount due at start 2,671.45
    Question is on leasing do you get the rebate Hyundai is offering and the money factor is 0.00140 what does it mean.
    And is this a good lease I have a good credit score.
    Did I miss something? What does this have to do with leasing a Saab?
  • notsocarsmartnotsocarsmart Member Posts: 4
    Sorry new at this just looking for help didn’t realize I was on the wrong forum.
    You're very welcome, theras. They probably were marking your car's rate up. FYI, GMAC recently raised its base lease rate for the 2008 Saab 9-3 Sport Combi Aero to by 2% to 7.1%. It appears as though the days of cheap leases on Saabs may be coming to an end.

Car_man
    Host
    Thanks much Car_Man for all of your assistance! I am thrilled with my new Saab.
    You're very welcome, theras. I'm glad that you like your new Saab so much. If you'd like, you can hop on over to the Dealer Ratings & Reviews section of Edmunds.com to share your thoughts on your recent dealer experience. Enjoy your new ride :shades: !

Car_man
    Host
  • jmr9jmr9 Member Posts: 26
    Do those numbers apply to the TurboX?

Trying to decide buy vs. lease...I can get $3000 customer cash/loyalty for buy vs. $500 with lease.
    Hi jmr9. Unfortunately, for the month of September General Motors pulled the plug on its lease support for all models except for the 9-7X. If you want to lease a 9-3 now, you will have to do so through an independent bank...if there even is one that is willing to step up to the plate with a reasonable program. If not and you still want a 9-3, you will have to use GM's Employee Pricing program to get it at an attractive selling price and pay cash for it, finance it through an independent bank, or finance it through GMAC at 0.9% to 5.9%,

Car_man
    Host
  • jmr9jmr9 Member Posts: 26
    thanks--I actually got the Employee Price and a GM lease at a decent rate (I think)--$540/month for 39mos/12Kmiles
    Car_man knows of what he speaks.If you leased a Saab,other than a 9-7X,after 09/02 it was through an independent source not through GMAC.
  • david1201david1201 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have any info on current lease deals? Recent deals you've been able to negotiate?

Thanks
    with the exception of the 9-7x,GM has ended it's Saab leasing program.
  • bluffsbluffs Member Posts: 8
    Car_man, I am interested in '08Saab9-3 lease and I need help.

I really like the car, even with the reliability issues and potential GM bankrupcy(any thoughts on this, will/how it effect us the owners?).

GM doesn't offer leases anymore, so how is the situation with independent banks - pluses and minuses?
    Local dealers use US Bank , any idea/feedback?
    Should I be "scared" of third party lease ?

Dealers are offering 10-12k off MSRP and I am allegeable for $2000 "lease to buy", so we are looking at $290-300 per month(+TTL=$1700) for a car with $31-35,000 sticker .
    Hi bluffs. I personally wouldn't be too worried about a potential General Motors bankruptcy if I was interested in one of its products. For now the government may provide GM with the money that it needs to get by. Even if it doesn't and the General ultimately has to file for bk some time next year, chances are that the government will facilitate its emergence from it as a leaner, more solid company. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked if the government opted to back GM's warranties during its reorganization. Of course, no one know for certain what will happen though.

You are correct, General Motors no longer offers supported leases on its products. As you mentioned, this means that if you want to lease one you will have to do so through an independent bank. What are the terms of the lease that you mentioned in your post, i.e. length, mileage allowance, MSRP, etc... $300 per month seems very reasonable for a 9-3.

Car_man
    Host
  • bluffsbluffs Member Posts: 8
    Hi Car_man ,

Thanks for responding to my post, I thought you forgot about us(Saab forums).

Here is my 2008 Saab93-Lease experience.
    The $290-$300(with tax) payment was for a 36months/12k miles lease through an independent bank(US Bank) no matter what I do . I know this sound strange, but that was the payment for Saabs with MSRP $30,xxx(brand new sedan) to $35,xxx(combi demo), depending on dealership , sedan or combi, trim levels, new or demo ... and etc.I am interested in the cheapest possible lease.
    It was/is very, very difficult to compare these leases apple to apple due to the uniqueness of the lease program.
    I was quoted MF 0.00215, 0.00229, 0.00235, .... 0.0033 and MF=APR %16 !!! (that was offer from a dealer using GMAC which equated to payment of $5xx a month), selling price from $8,xxx to $14,000 off MSRP, bank fee $595, $645, $795, $895, $995 and etc.

And .... here is the Real Deal I agreed, Real Surprise :mad:

There is a dealership (the only one around) offers leases through a local credit union.

2008 Saab9-3 Sedan demo(2500 miles), 24 months (yes, 2 years), 12K miles/year.
    MSRP $31,xxx , "Sold" for $19,3xx, MF 0.00229, Bank fee $645.

Monthly $272(with tax) + TTL $1364 (Doc.$299, Bank $645, $272 1st.month, DMV ....) in my opinion this is awesome deal.

Did I get the car ?

No......., unfortunately NO , I was denied by the credit union for whatever reson .

I am so mad , I went home and checked my credit reports , ALL looked good , my crdit score is 800(Transunion), 769(Equifax), 781(Experian) still can't believe. :mad:

P.S.Buyers beware: official recession, GM possible bankrupcy , credit crisis.
    If thhose credit scores are in fact accurate and you were denied approval.I am of the opinion it was because someone at the credit union did a "c.y.a." to make up for a mistakenly calculated lease quote.Even in the best of times through S.F.S.C. those lease numbers would be hard to acheive. Just my opinion.....with an average Beacon score of 784 you could finance any car through any source even in these times of higher scrutiny.
    You're very welcome, bluffs. It is very surprising that you were denied for a lease with the outstanding credit scores that you listed. Perhaps you don't have much of a credit history. Very strange. Oh well, with scores like that I am sure that a number of other manufacturers that don't have the money issues that General Motors has, like Ford, Toyota, Honda, etc... would be happy to lease you a car. Just switch to another, just as nice but different model.

Car_man
    Host
  • starbirdstarbird Member Posts: 38
    Hi,
    My lease is up in October and GMAC is asking 18K for my car (9-3 sportcombi 2.0T automatic with 39K on it). The buy price is 18K and when I checked edmunds web site they suggest that 12K is a more realistic price (I've seen '07's with less mileage for 17K).

I called up GMAC and they said they don't renegotiate the end of lease price. Has anyone had any success in doing so? If not, what sort of leases have people got in the DC for a base sportcombi?

Paul
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Wait until a day or two before lease ends and then make an offer if you really want the car. 18k is way high. Look at autotrader/carsdotcom etc and find an 08 for 17-18k. The wagon is harder to find. If you can go with a sedan a new passat should be in the low 20's. The wagon can be found used but is pricy new.
  • pgo1pgo1 Member Posts: 9
    I see Saab is offering some pretty aggressive monthly payments on the 2010 9-3. Does anyone know what the APR or money factor is, and what the 36 month residual is for a 10K miles per year lease? Also, when a standard lease program is ofered at 36 months, is it usually possible to get a 48 month lease at a lower monthly payment?

Thanks,

Paul
    Hi Paul. Saab is currently running leases through GMAC. Here's the details of its current program for you.

GMAC's current base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 9-3 2.0T Sport Sedan 2WD with 10,000 miles per year are 0.5% and 47% respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 48 month lease are 0.5% and 39%.

When negotiating your deal on this car, make sure to take advantage of the $2,000 cash incentive that is currently available on leases of it.

Car_man
    Host
  • reraltorreraltor Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2010
    My 9-3 convertible Saab lease is up....torn between new and buying out lease but lease buyout is way above retail value. Was told I could not negotiate lease buy out by my Saab dealer....now I read a post that says give it a shot?
    I can do cash buyout if I can negotiate down....my stubborn/cheap side will not overbuy! Live in Northeast US, love the car and have had no Issues.
    Any help would be great...thanks.
  • rogerbalserrogerbalser Member Posts: 2
    CARMAN, Are the leasing 9-3 base models. Our local dealer is running th e following: MSRP 29725
    disc 4320
    rebate 3500
    Volvo owners 1000
    Saab club 500
    plus 289 advertising
    130 prep
    825 delivery
    total
    What would be the lease rates on a 36 10,0000 miles and 12,0000 miles
    same for a 48 month lease?
    Thanks
    Hi reraltor. I don't blame you for not wanting to overpay for your leased vehicle. Paying more than you could purchase a similar used one for right now would be silly.

I don't know whether GMAC (I suppose it's Ally now) will be willing to negotiate your car's end-of-term purchase option price or not, but you don't have anything to lose by placing a call directly to them and seeing what they say. More likely then not they won't lower your car's selling price, but you don't have anything to lose by trying.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi rogerbalser. Saab is leasing again.

The $3,500 cash incentive that you mentioned is not compatible with Saab's special lease program, but there is a $2,000 cash incentive available on the 9-3 Sedan that is.

According to my calculations, if you were to lease a base 2010 Saab 9-3 Sedan that has an MSRP of $29,725 and a selling price of 23,149 through Ally right now for 36 months with 10,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment would be around $300. Raising the mileage allowance to 12k would increase this car's payment to around $308.

The numbers for a 48 month, 10k lease would be around $283.

The numbers for a 48 month, 12k lease would be around $289.

Car_man
    Host
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    I've known several people who had leases end recently and were in the same situation. The lease-end purchase price in the original contract was higher than the current market value on their cars. At least two of them asked for my advice because they wanted to buy their car if they could get the price down to current market value. In both situations, I had little trouble getting the leasing company to accept a significantly lower purchase price!

One of the cars was a Saturn Aura, which is now an 'orphan' and the reslae values have plummeted. The other car was actually a 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero Sedan, whose resale value had also suffered due the brand's uncertain future at the time (this was last December, when Saab was expected to be going out of business also). I ended up getting the purchase price for the Saab down to about $2000 lower than the KBB Trade-In Value at the time...which was $8,200 lower than the purchase price listed in the lease contract!

I know that Saab's uncertain future at the time helped me negotiate a better price than might be possible now. But it is illogical for a bank/leasing company to refuse to adjust the lease-end purchase price of a car if that price is higher than the actual current value. It is in their best interest for the lessee to buy the car instead of turning it in. If it is turned in, the car becomes a liability. They have to pay to detail and/or recondition the car, spend money on marketing/advertisement and it costs them every day they carry the car in inventory until they find a buyer OR they cut their losses and sell it at an auction.

If you are seriously interested in negotiating with them to buy your car, make sure you know how much it's really worth! Check Edmunds and KBB values, but also search on AutoTrader for other 9-3 Convertibles that are the same year and have similar mileage and features to yours. I just did a quick search here in the Atlanta area and a lot of 2007/2008 Saab 9-3 convertibles are selling for $2k-$3k less than the value lisited in either price guide. If you find a simliar pattern in your area, print those out to use as support for the price you're trying to negotiate. And if they won't sell it for a fair price, there are a lot of others out there for sale! =)
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • blcklabblcklab Member Posts: 7
    With whom did you negotiate? I have a Saturn Outlook end of lease. Buyout is more than local dealers are selling used for. I called GMAC and they said they don't negotiate but a dealer CAN negotiate. As I understand it the dealer could negotiate a cheaper buyout and essentially sell me my car back at a lower price to me and a profit for them.

Is that correct and how many dealers seem willing to do so?
  • pgo1pgo1 Member Posts: 9
    I was sitting at my local Saab dealer this morning, signing paperwork and reviewing the lease contract on a 2010 9-3. The residual value of the car was $13,230.70, as I expected, and my lease payments were based on that residual. What I did not expect was that the price at which I could buy the car at lease end was listed as $15,730.70, or $2,500 more than the residual! I said that that made no sense, that the residual value is the projected market value, and that is what the buyout should be. I also said that I was not going to pay for the depreciation down to $13,230.70, and then turn around and buy the car for $2,500. That's insane. At first they played dumb, saying "That's the way all the ALLY (GM) leases are written and they have no control over it.

After I insisted on seeing some logical explanation for the charge, they showed my a list of frequently asked questions from ALLY to the dealers. It showed that the $2,500 is simply additional profit, that ALLY gets $2,000 of it, and the dealer gets $500.
    I told them that I thought the whole thing was very disturbing and unethical, and that I wanted to research the issue further before doing any deal. I took the title to my 2001 9-3SE and left the dealership.

My questions are: 1: is this now a common practice in leasing, or is it just a GM thing? 2: The whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth, and makes me leery to enter into a GM lease. Now that GM really has no interest in promoting Saab customer loyalty, I could see them pushing me to the wall at lease end if I didn't buy the car, with all kinds of charges for wear and tear. It seems to me that if I am going to lease a car, I should do it with a car company that owns its own leasing business (like VW or Toyota) so that the leasing arm will be flexible at lease end in order to help get me into another car.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,826
    1) It's an Ally Bank thing.. Yours is about the 3rd or 4th post that I've seen questioning it..

2) It makes absolutely no sense at all.... and, I think that's why a lot of GM dealers are now using USBank for some of their leases..

I'm not sure I'd want to sign a lease that restricts my options at lease end... I don't blame you for thinking twice. That said, I don't have any great advice for you, either.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

This discussion has been closed.