Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-5 Lease Questions

CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
edited September 2014 in Saab
Hi everyone. Please use the following discussion to post any questions that you have about leasing a Saab 9-5. Thanks.

Car_man
Host
Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums

Comments

• zoozeekzoozeek Member Posts: 32
    I found a perfect car for my wife (she agrees): an Arc SportWagon in perfect polar white. After some brief research, leasing this car as opposed to financing a purchase appears a good idea for us; however, I know nothing of leasing. Is the deal below any good? Any suggestions for negotiating?

GM Price 34311
    Saab lease discount 3000 (saab purchase factory discount 5000)
    Net lease price 31311 (net purchase price 29000)
    residual value 22431.80 (appears rather high to me)

down payment 2638 (including 595 lease fee)
    dmv 283
    ca tire tax 8.75
    1rst month payment 393.69 (365.37+28.32 tax @ 7.75%)
    tax on 3000 saab discount/misc (?) 436.94

TOTAL PAYMENT AT DRIVE-OFF 3760.38
    MONTHLY PAYMENT 365.37

Other perhaps relevant info:
    rate 1.5200
    term 24 mo
    mileage 12000/yr
    MSRP 38020
    buy option/residual 22431.8
    residual % 59%

Thanks greatly.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi zoozeek. It is a good idea to lease tha Saab 9-5 that you are interested in. Traditionally Saab has offered very attractive leases on its vehicles and the '05 9-5 right now is no exception. It is a lot of car for the money. Since you are new to the world of leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

As far as this car's specific lease program goes, if you were to lease a 2005 Saab 9-5 Arc Wagon through Saab Financial Services Corp. right now for 24 months with 12,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00137 and 59%, respectively. Using these numbers, an MSRP of $38,020 and a selling price of $31,311, I estimate that this vehicle should have a zero down, pre-tax monthly payment of around $444. In your post you mentioned that you are going to pay $2,638 at lease signing, including a down payment and SFSC's $595 acquisition fee. There's nothing wrong with paying the acquisition fee at lease signing, but I always advise consumers against making any sort of down payment when leasing. I do so for two main reasons. The first is if your vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen during your lease, your insurance company pays off the bank that you were leasing it through and your down payment essentially disappears. The second main reason is that down payments on leased vehicles do nothing to reduce their lease-end purchase prices. So your lease-end purchase option price for your 9-5 would be exactly the same, regardless of whether you had put $2,000 down, or had made absolutely no down payment at all. Just in case your interested, your pre-tax monthly payment for this vehicle with a $2,000 down payment should be around $358.

Car_man
    Host
  • lmillerlmiller Member Posts: 3
    Car_man:

I am interested in leasing the 9-5 Aero sedan. I am interested in a 36 month lease with 15000 miles per year. Until recently, I believe that the Saab website showed an employee discount price in the 34K range, however it now shows "contact your dealer." Furthermore, I believe that Edmunds was showing a $2,500 marketing incentive until this past week. Any idea what I might expect in a cap cost, money factor, and residual? Thanks
    Hi lmiller. The 2005 Saab 9-5 still qualifies for General Motors' employee pricing program, so the selling price that you saw quoted for it last month is probably still about the same. GM is currently providing $3,000 lease cash on all 2005 9-5 models. If you were to lease a 2005 Saab 9-5 Aero Sedan through Saab Financial Services Corp. right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00132 and 44%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Car_man,

Thanks very, very much. I conveyed somewhat vaguely a counter-offer to the salesman, but he said that he can "match" the national ad. Anyhow, I thought I'd just send him a specific offer:

24mo/12k miles/gap insurance included
    $0 drive-out
    $480/mo, taxes included

However, I'm just a bit confused about the $595 acquisition fee and $283 DMV fee. Are these negotiable? Must I pay them upfront? Are they in addition to the down payment and monthly payments, or are they included in these figures? Is it realistic to get this car for $11,000 total outlay over 2 years, and if now, what is the realistic amount?

Thanks greatly for your help.
    I neglected to ask:

How did you find the SFSC money factor? Is this published information? Is it negotiable? Can a dealership charge a higher rate than .00137? Finally, the car is being sold for $29,311 without negotiations, but the lease net price is $31,311 without negotiation. What is the correct sales price to use for calculating the depreciation?

Thanks greatly,
    zoozeek
    You're very welcome zoozeek. Saab Financial Services Corp. charges an acquisition fee of $595 on all leases. Individual dealers do not have the authority to waive this charge. I am not sure what sort of charge is appropriate for the registration of your vehicle in your state though. Neither of these charges would be included in the down payment of any advertised lease. I can't tell you what the total cost of your lease of this car would be without knowing its full MSRP and an approximate selling price for it.

Car_man
    Host
    Zoozeek, I am not aware of any source that provides information on banks' buy rate lease money factors and residual values to the general public. Dealerships cannot lower banks' published residual values, but they usually are allowed to mark them up a little bit to add additional back-end profit to deals. Vehicles' residual values are always based upon a percentage of their full MSRPs including destination charges.

Car_man
    Host
    Here are all the prices for this car:

MSRP 38020
    GM Price 34311
    Saab lease discount 3000 (saab purchase factory discount 5000)
    Net lease price 31311 (net purchase price approximately 29000)
    residual value 22431.80 (appears rather high to me)

Thanks greatly for all the help.
    Thanks for the additional information, zoozeek. Let's calculate a sample lease payment on this car for you. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2005 Saab 9-5 Arc Wagon with an MSRP of $38,020 and a selling price of $31,311 through Saab Financial Services Corp. right now for 24 months with 12,000 miles per year, its zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $444.

Car_man
    Host
  • sah2sah2 Member Posts: 10
    Interested in leasing 05 9-5 Aero for 36 / 15k year. Any information on current deals, estimated monthly's with 0 down. This will be my 3rd Saab lease and the information I have learned here prior to my negotiations has helped immensely in the previous two.

In addition, does GM currently have a "pull ahead" program to exit my current lease before expiration?

Regards
    Hi sah2. I would be happy to give you an idea of what Saab's lease program on this car is currently like. However, in order to estimate what its lease payment should be for you I need you to provide me with the full MSRP including the destination charge) and an approximate selling price for the exact car that you want. If you were to lease a 2005 Saab 9-5 Aero Sedan through Saab Financial Services Corp. right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00029 and 44%, respectively. When negotiating your lease on this car, make sure to take the $3,000 dealer cash that Saab is providing on leases of it and $500 bonus cash ($3,500 total) into account.

Saab was running a "pull ahead" program for lessees whose contracts were scheduled to end on or before 4/30/06, but unfortunately I believe that it expired a few days ago.

Car_man
    Host
  • sfscemployeesfscemployee Member Posts: 1
    It expired on the 14th of November
    Thanks sfscemployee. That's what I thought. You definitely would know, judging from your user id ;) .

Car_man
    Host
  • hintzhintz Member Posts: 71
    Hello Car Man:

Can you tell me what the money factor and lease residuals are on the 2006 9-5. Looking at 3yr/36K or the 2yr/24K?
    Thanks
  • bberkebberke Member Posts: 26
    In the same area as the last question, what would they be for 2 year 20000 mile lease?
    Hello hintz. Here's the info that you're looking for. If you were to lease a 2006 Saab 2.3T Sedan through Saab financial Services Corp. right now for 24 months with 12,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00112 and 69%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease should be .00112 and 53%.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi bberke. SFSC's 10,000 miles per year residual values are 1% higher than its 12,000 miles per year residuals. Its month factors for both of these mileage allowances would be the same.

Car_man
    Host
  • axeyaxey Member Posts: 1
    I am in the process of leasing my first vehicle and am frazzled. It is a 2006 9-5 Saab, manual approximately $36K msrp. The dealer is offering a 27 month lease, 15K miles per year at $474 per month with approximately $1450 down (includes 1st month, sec. deposit, bank fee).

Does this seem good or should I stick with the 24 month, 12K miles saab deal at $399/month ($2,999 due at signing)?
    Hi axey. You never mentioned the selling price of the car that you are interested in leasing. This is an important number for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing the price of the car that you want to lease you don't know how good a price you are getting it for. The second reason is that one needs the selling price of a vehicle that they want to lease is that it is necessary to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion on the lease that you were quoted if you let me know what this car's selling price is.

Car_man
    Host
  • jones14jones14 Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to lease a 9-5 saab and have been offered 2 deals: msrp $36,869 27 mo.at $533 per month and msrp $40,005 27 month at $583 with no money down. Both of these offers are for 15,000 miles. This seems high to me. Can I do better than this.
    Hello jones14. You never mentioned the selling price of the cars that you are interested in leasing. This is an important number for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing the price of the car that you want to lease you don't know how good a price you are getting it for. The second reason is that one needs the selling price of a vehicle that they want to lease is that it is necessary to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion on these deals if you let me know what these cars' selling prices are.

Car_man
    Host
  • mlerner3mlerner3 Member Posts: 1
    My 4-year lease ends on 8/31 and Saab Financial Services customer service reps claim that the purchase option (residual value which was calculated 4 years ago) is non-negotiable. They would rather have the customer lease/buy a new vehicle (obviously) and will waive my last payments IF I lease/buy a new GM vehicle. Since this is not what I wish to do, do you know of any possible way to negotiate the purchase price?
  • sweeney4sweeney4 Member Posts: 17
    Can you let me know the residual value and money factor for a 36 month lease.
    Hi mlerner3. There certainly is no guarantee that Saab Financial Services Corp. will negotiate your car's lease-end purchase price. It seems as though you were not able to make any progress in your negotiations with your initial contact there. Some consumers who have struck out on their initial negotiation attempt have had success by working their way up the corporate ladder to a manager. Give it a shot, you don't have anything to lose.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forums
    Hello sweeney4. If you were to lease a 2006 Saab 9-5 SportCombi through Saab Financial Services Corp. right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its base lease rate and residual value should be 2.69% and 52%, respectively. As you can see, SFSC uses lease rates instead of money factors to calculate vehicles' monthly payments. You can convert its published lease rates into approximate money factor equivalents by dividing them by 2400.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forums
  • saablcpsaablcp Member Posts: 195
    A major part of your monthly lease payment is the prorated depreciation of the car.Higher residual value = lower payment and vice-versa.By attempting to negotiate a lower buy figure you are essentially double-dipping,in other words you want the advantage of a lower end of lease purchase price without having paid the higher monthly lease payment the lower residual value would have yielded.The leasing company has every right to hold a firm line on this.Conversely,if the current market value on your vehicle was HIGHER than the contract stated price you could not be made to pay a higher price.Fairs fair!!!
  • ron4xron4x Member Posts: 2
    Can you provide the money factor and residual for a 36 month lease at 15,000 miles per year for a 9.5 sedan (2.3T) with Sentronic automatic transmission, visibility package, ventilated seats, and metallic paint?
    Thanks.
  • hersheytx1hersheytx1 Member Posts: 13
    You must a very bad Leasing company if they do not neg. the sale price before you lease a car. I always make sure I get any rebates and/or discounts when leasing.
    My last Jeep had 4k off the top plus they threw in the Nav. for free.
    I usually do not go through the dealer unless they have a subvented lease. The Leasing company I deal with always works with a high volume dealer in the area and gets the best price before we do the lease. I have never been disappointed.
  • stmssstmss Member Posts: 206
    For sure! You need to know the sale price and it needs to be as low as possible. The interest payment on the lease is based on this. The residual amount is usually a percentage of the sale price so if you lower the sale price, you lower the residual. Your payment is simply depreciation amount + interest + taxes (if any). I would not lease without these three firm numbers.
    Huh????Did you read the question the man posed or my answer??It had nothing to do with negotiating the car's price(cap.cost)at inception.It addressed negotiating the OFF-LEASE price of the car.
    Hello ron4x. Saab publishes lease rates instead of money factors for the vehicles that it leases. You can convert its published lease rates into approximate money factor equivalents by dividing them by 2400. The current base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2006 Saab 9-5 2.3T Sedan are 2.69% and 52%, respectively. There is no lease cash on this car at this time.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    You're right, Hersheytx1, consumers should absolutely negotiate the selling prices of the vehicle that they want to lease. However, Saab is a little different than Jeep in that the cash incentives that it provides on vehicles are not compatible with its special lease program. Consumers who pay cash for or finance their '06 9-5 through an independent bank can take advantage of the $2,500 dealer cash that is currently available on it, but no consumers who lease through Saab Financial Services Corp.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • edisaacedisaac Member Posts: 15
    My lease on a 2002 sportwagon is up this month. Went in yesterday to see what they can do on another lease. For an '06 Combi they are quoting me a 27 month lease, 12k miles/yr., $500 loyalty rebate, upfront cash of $1400 -- pymts = $468. The MSRP is $37170, the sale price is $34,881. The rate (no money factor) is 3.69% with a residual of $25275.60. Good, average, can I do better? Any feedback is much appreciated. BTW for 15k miles/year the monthly is $482.77.
  • lorenzoslorenzos Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in negotiating a lease for a 2006 9-5 Sport Combi. Do you mind sharing the name of the leasing company that you are so pleased with?
    Thanks much.
  • sidvsidv Member Posts: 64
    Considering replacing my 9-3 with a 9-5. Dealer offered 500 dollars in loyalty cash. I've seen at least one post where 750 dollars was offered. Is this a standard amount or is it subject to game playing like most every other financial piece of a purchase/lease transaction? (would be lease in my case)
    Hi sidv. Saab's current owner loyalty incentive for the 9-5 is only $500. The post that you saw referencing $750 was either an older post referring to an expired offer or a mistake.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Thanks Car_man. The deal is already in the works (07 9-5 2.3T SC arriving this week), so it would have killed me if you'd told me otherwise.
  • trojan88trojan88 Member Posts: 6
    Does anybody have any details on the current offer Saab is running - 60 month 0% financing plus $3 K cash - (I know this is not a lease - but there is no buying thread).

60 month at 0% sounds like a great deal - but what are the strings ??
    The only "string" I know of is that it must be an 06 model, well after the 07s are out. I think there are still adequate stocks of everything but the 9-2X, at least where I live. Also, the 9-3 sedan is only 2K, the 9-3 sc, 9-5 and the 9-7 are at 3K.
  • rpzbrpzb Member Posts: 1
    Hi Car man,

Do you have December info (MF & RV) on leases for the 2007 9-5 sedan and 9-3 Aero sedan, ideally 36 month, 12k miles (unless special offers are being made on terms like 27 or 39 months). Thanks, in advance, for your response!
  • makarkamakarka Member Posts: 8
    Hi,

I am looking to lease 2006 Saab 9-5 4-Dr Sedan with metallic paint, ventilated leather seats, automatic transmission, and visibility package (MSRP $39,480). The car is a demo with 5000 miles on it, and after all rebates and discounts they are selling it for $28,928. The terms of the lease are the following:

39 months
    12K miles/year
    $0 out of pocket
    $513/month + tax

Does this sound like a good deal? If not, keeping everything else the same what kind of monthly payment should I be shooting for?

Thanks.
    You're very welcome, sidv.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Here's the info that you're looking for, rpzb. Saab Financial Services Corp.'s current base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 Saab 9-5 Sedan with 12,000 miles per year are 3.5% and 51%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero Sedan are 4.25% and 56%. As you can see, Saab publishes lease rates instead of money factors for the vehicles that it leases. you can convert its published lease rates into approximate money factor equivalents by dividing them by 2400.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hello makarka. At first glance, over $500 a month sounds like a lot of money to pay for a demo 2006 9-5 that already has 5,000 miles on it to me. I think that the problem here is that Saab is no longer providing lease support on 2006 models. The dealer that you are working with must be running this lease through an independent bank that does not have a very attractive program for this model.

For the sake of comparison, let's work up a lease payment on a similar 2007 model and see how much it would cost to lease right now. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2007 Saab 9-5 (non-Aero) with an MSRP of $39,305 and a selling price of $36,905 (dealer invoice) through Saab Financial Services right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, its zero down, pre-tax monthly payment would be around $497. As you can see, this is already less than the lease that you were quoted and it is for a brand new car without any miles and a 2007 model.

If you're really set on getting the demo 2006 model, you probably would be better off financing it at 0% for 5 years rather than leasing it.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Car_man....your response to that question was totally spot-on.I was going to respond in kind until I saw your post.This particular dealer may not be happy with your advice in as much as they would rather move the aged unit.At the prices the '06's are available for I can't imagine they will have a problem finding a happy home for it.The 2006 9-5 sedan or wagon is absolutely the most amazing bargain on the market at present.
  • makarkamakarka Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for pointing this out to me!
  • thetmkthetmk Member Posts: 4
    Car_man: Can you let me know what the current Saab Financial Services lease rates are for a 2007 Saab 9-5 Sport Combi, 36month/15K/year and 24/15/year unless there are any other sweet spots (27, 39 month).

Thanks -

TMK
    Thanks saablcp.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hello TMK. Here's the information that you are looking for. Saab Financial Services Corp.'s current base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 Saab 9-5 Sport Combi with 15,000 miles per year are 3.35% and 55%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 24 month lease are 3.35% and 68%. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
This discussion has been closed.