Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Lease Questions

Comments

• peteyboy30peteyboy30 Member Posts: 34
    I would love to make this deal with a local dealer, and would certainly be willing to travel to get it. The only dealer I went to stated the MF was .00250, and wanted invoice price for the car.

Where are you located? Is this a signed/sealed deal you are speaking of? What dealer was this? Help us out! Thanks!
  • greenwell39greenwell39 Member Posts: 11
    I've been working directly with internet sales. I'm going into the dealership tomorrow to sign the paperwork. I will let you know if it actually comes to fruition. I'm leery
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who would really appreciate that information. Either way, do let us know how it goes. Thank you!
  • cdnj1cdnj1 Member Posts: 16
    Hi all...

Looking to replace a Legacy (coming off lease in early Jan) with a new Forester.

Dealer I'm working with is quoting (first) remaining 2010 models with prices under invoice (selling price $23557 | Invoice $24157 | MSRP $25824) for a 2010 2.5x Premium.

A few questions:
    1. sound like a fair price for a 2010 now that 2011 are hitting lots?
    2. what do I give up (or gain) by going 2010 over 2011?
    3. what is Dec money factor on 2010 (and 2011 if different)
    4. what are residuals on 2010 and 2011 2.5x premium for 10k and 12k respectively
    5. The lease I'm returning is about 10k miles under on total mileage - does this give me any negotiating power (across dealers perhaps if they are looking to buy and resell)?

Thanks all!
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi cdnj1. Given the fact that Subaru is not currently providing much in the way of cash incentives on the Forester, a selling price of under invoice is a very good deal.

Subaru's December buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Forester 2.5X Premium with 12,000 miles per year are .00095 and 54%.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a 2011 model are .00215 and 61%.

The residual values for leases with only 10,000 miles per year are 1% higher.

I don't think that the fact that your current vehicle is so far under our mileage allowance will help you in your negotiations for a new one, but you can always see if the dealer is interested in your vehicle.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • mwahlertmwahlert Member Posts: 101
    what is the MF and residual on 15k forester xt touring?

thank you
    Hey mwahlert. Subaru's January buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 Forester XT Touring with 15,000 miles per year are .00200 and 60%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    edited February 2011
    Howdy again, Car_man!

Ok, due to some unforeseen financial stuff, I never did pull the trigger on that Forester. But, now that's changed, and if you'd be so kind, I'd appreciate hearing what the MF and residual is on 2011 Forester 2.5X, 36 months, 12k miles. Also, when calculating the lease should I be adding the acquisition fee ($595) and the delivery charge ($720) to the "additional costs" section of a lease calculator, or just add it onto the net cap cost, or does it make any difference? Lastly, what about PZEV? The last dealer with said they didn't charge extra for it, but Edmunds lists it as a seperate line item... thoughts? Thank you SO much for all your time!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    In PZEV states, at least, the warranty for the emissions related content is much longer. Could be more durable, perhaps?

It's $300 extra but you also get 5hp and guilt-free driving.

We got PZEV and have no regrets. $60 per horse is cheap.
    I don't want to badger Car_Man, so I'm wondering if anyone else has recently leased a 2.5x and could advise me what money factor and residual they got? I used Truecar.com to get in touch with a couple of dealers, who for some reason seem to be selling below what Truecar is saying the dealer cost is. I'll see how this goes, and report back. But one dealer told me the residual was 62%, and I thought it was 65%. Any info anyone could provide within the past month, maybe 2, would be very helpful. Thanks!
    Hi again peteyboy30. Here you go.

Subaru's February buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 Forester 2.5X with 12,000 miles per year are .00195 and 61%, respectively.

The destination charge should be included in your vehicle's MSRP and selling price.

You can either pay the acquisition fee at signing or add it into the "additional costs" section that you mentioned to bake it into your monthly payment.

Car_man
    Host
  • mwahlertmwahlert Member Posts: 101
    have the rates changed for feb?

thanks!!
  • plasticmoonraiplasticmoonrai Member Posts: 6
    I am looking to find the money factor and residual value on a 2011 Forester Limited edition, 15,000 miles per year.

THANKS IN ADVANCE.
    Car_man: Please don't wish me ill, but I was wondering if you have March's numbers, if they are different from February's ? Again 2011 Forester 2.5x 12k/36 months. Thank you SO much. I am 99% sure this is FINALLY the month I pull the trigger on this car. Good news for you... I won't be bothering you for another 3 years :)
  • JimmyVegas11JimmyVegas11 Member Posts: 7
    Hi, I'm looking to lease a new 2.5 XT touring (no navi) for 36 months/12K and would appreciate if anyone knows the current MF and residual. Many thanks. J
    Anyone know the MF and Residual rate on a 2011 2.5 XT touring (no navi) for 36 months/12K ?

Would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
    Hi plasticmoonrai. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 Forester Limited with 15,000 miles per year are .00190 and 59%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    It's no bother at all peteyboy30. Subaru's March buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 Forester 2.5X with 12,000 miles per year are .00135 and 59%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi JimmyVegas11. Subaru's March buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 Forester XT Touring with 12,000 miles per year are .00165 and 59%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Thanks!
  • weswazweswaz Member Posts: 23
    Looking for the money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease and 10,0000 mile per year on 2011 Forester 2.5x Premium and 2.5xt Premium.

Thanks,
    Wes
  • fb25foresterfb25forester Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

What is the money factor and residual for a 2011 forester Limited?

MSRP 28,277
    Selling Price is 25,200

Thanks
    You're very welcome JimmyVegas11.

Car_man
    Host
    Here's the information that you're looking for, Wes. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 Forester 2.5X Premium with 10,000 miles per year are .00175 and 62%, respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '11 Forester 2.5 XT Premium are .00180 and 62%.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi fb25forester. Subaru's current buy rate for a 36 month lease of a 2011 Forester 2.5X Limited is .00190.

Car_man
    Host
  • uofafan7uofafan7 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know the money factor and residual percentage on a 2011 Subaru Forrester 2.5X Automatic Premium? Looking for 10,000 miles per year. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Hi uofafan7. Subaru's June buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 Forester 2.5X Premium Auto with 10,000 miles per year are .00165 and 60%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
  • suforsogoodsuforsogood Member Posts: 3
    I am researching to get more information before leasing a Subaru 2.5x in Westchester, NY.
    This is my first Subaru and would appreciate responses from the knowledgeable members on this board:

1. What is the MF and Residual for the 2.5x? are these negotiable?
    2. Is the MF and Residual calculated on the MSRP or the Adj Cap Cost? (one dealer told on MSRP?)
    3. Do the rules of 'hardball negotiating' of buying apply to leasing a car as well? That is, should I know the dealer incentive/holdbacks etc to calculate the final cost when negotiating the final lease price with the dealer?
    4. Are there add-ons other than $795 bank fees and $200 for new plates to the final price?
    5. Is it true that the 2.5x has now been officially replaced by the the 2.5SE (the so-called 'Alloy Wheel Package')?

Thanks in advance!
    Hi suforsogood. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 Forester 2.5X with 15,000 miles per year are .00100 and 53%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier. These numbers vary by term and mileage allowance. They are not negotiable, in that these are the best available numbers that the dealer is allowed to use. Having said that, make sure that the dealer is using the correct money factor to calculate your vehicle's payment because dealers are occasionally allowed to mark vehicles' factors up to add additional back-end profit to deals.

Vehicles' residual values are calculated based upon a percentage of their full MSRPs, including the destination charge and the MSRPs of any options that can be residualized. Make sure to check out the following article for more information on how lease payments are calculated: Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

When leasing a vehicle is is important to negotiate an attractive selling price, just like you would if you were paying cash for or financing it.

I believe that it is possible to get a 2.5X without Alloy Wheels.

Car_man
    Host
  • zitro70zitro70 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Car_man, I am about to lease a 2011 Forester 2.5x Limited, MSRP $ 27,900 for 36 mos, 12k/year with $1,500 (inceptions,etc) and the number they gave me is $420 a month. Does this sounds high? I would like to know the money factor and residual value for August for this particular model. Any advise will be appreciated, Thank you
    Hi zitro70. Subaru's August buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 Forester 2.5X Limited with 12,000 miles per year are .00125 and 54%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

I would be happy to give you my opinion on this specific deal, but it would be much easier for me to do so if you were able to provide us with this car's selling price first.

Car_man
    Host
  • conger14conger14 Member Posts: 25
    Hi,

I have a 2010 Forester Premium that we bought in 09' as a lease deal. The dealer cut off 15k miles and gave us a 30k mile lease instead of 45k. We did not realize the mistake until too late.

We are coming up on our 30k (currently 27k and change) and considering Subaru's 1.9 financing that is available until the end of this month and a local dealer offering $4,500 on trade ins...can/should we turn in our subaru now for a 2011 model?

I'm open to opinions and suggestions. We are looking at a 2011 WRX or 2011 Legacy 3.6. Our current lease payment is a little less than 400 a month. Really unsure what to do here...

Stephen
    Hi Stephen. I wouldn't worry about the special financing offer on the Forester expiring any time soon. I think that the 3-year, 1.9% rate has been available since Subaru launched the 2011 model. I would be shocked if it went away.

In your post you mentioned that your dealer is offering $4,500 on trade-ins. Are you saying that the dealer is willing to let you walk away from your lease for free at this point and pay you $4,500 to boot? If so, jump at that offer. That sounds a little too generous to me.

Car_man
    Host
  • conger14conger14 Member Posts: 25
    Hi caRman,

The 4500 was a cash for clunkers deal and not applicable to my situation. What i did find when i went to the dealership today is that they are only willing to give me enough to pay off my lease and no equity towards a new car...kind of bummed there.

I think we will trade in for a new legacy with cvt so we dont get hammered with the mileage fee.

Stephen
  • max_andersonmax_anderson Member Posts: 37
    Hi Car Man,

My father went into a local Subaru dealership with the intention of leasing a 2011 Forester (detailed in subject line). He wanted a 3 year/12K lease with taxes "rolled in." The tax rate in suburban Cook County IL is 9.5%.

They quoted him $550 per month. He's an older gentlemen so I thought I'd do a little digging to see how they arrived at that number. I can't seem to get there. Even assuming they based the lease off of full MSRP, it still doesn't make sense. I asked them what the August money factor residual is and was told 53% and .00140. I plugged those numbers in with the MSRP of $29,945 and I still got an estimated lease payment of about $450 (which includes tax).

Can you confirm August MF and residual on the Forester 2.5X Limited w/Nav for a 36-month, 12K lease?

I know everyone's in business to make money but I kind of feel like this salesperson my Dad met with was exploiting the fact that he was elderly and new to leasing. I was wondering your thoughts on this.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    $550 price quote is absurd. They're crooks.
  • max_andersonmax_anderson Member Posts: 37
    Agreed. Big surprise that after I called their dealership and spoke to the sales manager, they claimed a "mistake" was made and have since come down to about $450.

I've known a lot of decent salespeople in my time, but there are always those ones that help give the industry a bad name.
    Good job at taking care of your father, max_anderson. Your assumption about $500 per month being too much was absolutely correct.

Car_man
    Host
  • vicskivicski Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2011
    Hello, I was just offered a 2.5x Premium with all-weather package. MSRP $24964, invoice $23356 for $22856, lease 36 mo. 15,000 miles, 52% residual and money factor of .00095. Is this a good deal? Payments quoted at $279.13/month.
    Hello vicski. The money factor, residual value, and selling price that you were quoted for this vehicle all look good. If you like the Forester, and it is a great value if you ask me, then I don't see any reason not to go for it.

Car_man
    Host
  • capn441capn441 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Car_Man,
    Can you tell me the Residual and Money Factor for both a 2011 Forester 2.5X Auto Limited and Touring for 12K and 36 Months? I was quoted 342 and 369 respectively, with 1,700 down.

Many Thanks,
    Cris
    I'd be happy to help you out, Cris. Chase's September buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2011 Forester 2.5X Limited Auto with 12,000 miles per year are .00105 and 53%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a 2011 Forester 2.5X Touring are .00070 and 50%.

Car_man
    Host
  • roberthan725roberthan725 Member Posts: 1
    Hello Car_man,

What is the residual value % and money factor for a 2011 2.5x Forester Limited Auto with protection package 3?

10,000 miles per year, 42 month lease.

I was offered $295/month with $4000 down and am trying to figure out if that's a good deal.

Looking at KBB.com, the MSRP is $27604, invoice $25789 and he promised $300 under invoice.

Thanks for your help!
  • wdowning1wdowning1 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    Hello Car_Man -

Hoping you can check some lease math for me: I've been quoted a lease for a 2011 2.5XT Touring, 36 months, 10k mileage, $31,502 MSRP, $28,800 purchase price, $16,696.06 residual (53%), .00075 money factor. The dealer quoted the price as $477/mo with tax - tax is 9.1%. When I run the math I get a payment more like $403/mo. Am I missing something?

Thanks for the help.
    Roberthan725, Subaru's October buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 42-month lease of a 2011 Forester 2.5X Limited Auto with 10,000 miles per year are .00105 and 54%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

$300 over dealer invoice is a good selling price for this vehicle, but you really shouldn't put $4,000 down on a lease. I always advise consumers to put as little money down as possible on leases because if their vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered part or all of the money that they put down could disappear.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi wdowning1. I get a zero down, pre-tax monthly payment of $371 on this vehicle.

Car_man
    Host
  • sigma521sigma521 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2011
    Hello Car_Man -

Could you please provide me with October Residual and Money Factors for 2011 Subaru Forester 2.5XT Touring. I'm interested in 36/42 months and 10,000/12,000 miles per year. Are the numbers different for 2012 ?

Is the Navigation affect money factors ?

Thank you.
  • rosenthalksrosenthalks Member Posts: 1
    We are looking at a 2011 or 2012 Forester 2.5X Limited or Premium. The lease rates I was quoted seem really high compared to what I am reading here in these forums.

For instance, on a 2012 Forester 2.5X Limited we were quoted a price of $28165. 15,000 mi and a 42 month lease at $445 per month plus tax. 36 month (which I would prefer) is $465 per month plus tax.

I am sure they are working off MSRP (or higher!) and I intend to get the price down from there, but do you have any other suggestions on what I should be looking at/ask to see to negotiate a better deal. I feel more lost now that I have a little information of the leasing process than I did before I started so any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, how important are special offers listed on the manufacturer's website in connection with all of this?
    Hello sigma521. Subaru's November buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2011 Forester 2.5XT Touring with 12,000 miles per year are .00040 and 50%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier. Adding navigation changes the numbers to .00045 and 49%.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a 2012 model would be .00150 / 57% without and .00180 / 57% with Navigation.

The residual value for a lease with only 10,000 miles per year would be 1% higher.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi rosenthalks. the key to getting a good deal on a leased vehicle is to negotiate as low a selling price as possible. If I was in the market for a Forester right now, I personally would shoot for $500 or so over dealer invoice. You can look up this vehicle's invoice price over in the New Vehicle Pricing section of Edmunds.com.

Car_man
    Host
This discussion has been closed.