Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Lease Questions

Comments

• ursusursus Member Posts: 128
    Hi Car_man. Just wanted to mention that I ordered my 2012 Forester X Touring for $~600 under invoice last week.
  • ianjrcianjrc Member Posts: 1
    Hello Car Man,

Looking for the December Residual and Money Factors for a 2012 Forester 2.5X w/ Alloy Wheel Package. MSRP of $23,703 (http://bit.ly/vObryp). The salesman said residual was 58% for 10k miles per year.

Online deal at $249/month, 42-month lease, with $2000 due at signing.

Went in to dealership hoping to get the $249 Subaru.com on-line lease price, but they indicated to me the price was for Manual transmission only - and none are available. They first came back with $289. I pushed back for $250, they came back with $269. I pushed back again but they wouldn't budget. I got up and left and just as I was pulling out, the salesman came out and said he can do $259. I told him I still wanted to think on it.

My other questions is about the 42-month lease vs more standard 36 month. Most blogs I've read say to stay away from a lease that is longer than the basic warranty, which is 36 months for Subaru. What's your take on this? I understand the reasoning, but I'm not sure how much weight to place on the concern.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Thanks for letting us know, ursus. $600 under invoice is a great deal. Enjoy!

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    edited December 2011
    Hello ianjrc. Chase's December buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 42-month lease of a 2012 Forester 2.5X w/Alloy Wheels and 10,000 miles per year are .00195 and 57%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

I personally try not to lease vehicles for much longer than their bumper-to-bumper warranties, though I have done a 39-month lease on a vehicle that had a 36-month warranty in the past. The difference in payment was great enough for me to take the three month risk.

Car_man
    Host
  • ursusursus Member Posts: 128
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Car_man.

They are also giving me 1.9%/60 month financing through Chase (Subaru Finance) after I mentioned that Subaru's 3.9%/60 month will not work for me and I would have to bring an outside financing at around 2.75%/60 month. My wife currently leases a Forester through Subaru Finance and that might have played a role.
  • cdndrivercdndriver Member Posts: 86
    HI I'm looking at leasing a Forester, 2012 Touring. I live in Canada.
    When figuring the price for the lease, I've taken the invoice price plus 3% markup. Here we also have 1595. or freight, and 100.00 for Air conditioning tax. Do I figure the lease cost on the invoice + 3% and then add the freight and air to that? I don't think I should be adding it to the cost I'm paying a lease on since it's a one time charge.
    Also there is a 500 holiday rebate here, and they say that there is a 1% rate reduction if you've leased from them before, and .1% off for every security deposit you leave, up to ten deposits, or a minimum of .5%. But it doesn't say what the security deposit is.
    Not sure how to figure out the Money factor up here. There are calculators on the subaru Canada website, but they all have a minimum 2900.00 down payment in there, and you can't change that number.
    I'm also using a company which gives you the invoice prices and rebate info (yes, it's not free in Canada, you have to pay to get that info, and we pay a lot more for the same cars you do here, even though the dollar is at par.)
    What should I be looking at here to get a good deal? This company says that invoice plus 3% is a 'fair price' and what they recommend. There are two dealers: one I dealt with last time I leased, who is out of town, and one who is 5 minutes from my new home. Should I see if they'll go below the invoice plus 3%, especially the one farther away, whom I did business with last time? I've got to really watch the pennies this time.
    Thanks,
    cdndriver
  • nlm2898nlm2898 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,
    Can someone please tell me the current money factor and residual on the Forester 2.5x in zip 07052?

Thanks
    Nicole
    I'd be happy to help you out, Nicole.

Chase's January buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 Forester 2.5X with 15,000 miles per year are .00175 and 58%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
  • arandazzoarandazzo Member Posts: 6
    Hi Car_Man -

Can you give the current lease rates on a 2012 Forrester 2.5X Limited. For both 10,000 and 12,000 miles per year. This is for Western New York.

We are currently leasing a 2009 Subaru Impreza and will be returning it. Not sure if there is any loyalty cash that is available. Also, is there any advantage to turning it in a few months early if we are 5000+ miles below?

Thanks!
    I sure can arandazzo. Subaru's February buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 Forester 2.5X Limited with 12,000 miles per year are .00150 and 57%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The residual value for a lease with only 10,000 miles per year would be 1% higher.

The only loyalty offer that Subaru is running right now is the waiver of the first month's payment for returning lessees.

There should not be any advantage to turning your vehicle in early. In fact, you might not be able to without making your remaining payments...even if you are significantly under mileage.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi Car_Man, thank you for your previous reply. My wife is now thinking she wants to go with the 2.5XT Touring instead of the Limited. Would you be able to get me a money factor and residual on 36 month 10/12k miles for that option as well?

Also, what is a good price on this vehicle. The MSRP is 29,895 so I am trying to see how much wiggle room I have in negotiating.

As always, thanks!

-Adam
    You're welcome Adam. Subaru's March buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 Forester 2.5XT Touring with 12,000 miles per year are .00090 and 54%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

If I was in the market for this vehicle right now, I personally would shoot for a selling price of around $500 or so over dealer invoice. The supply of the Forester is fairly tight in certain areas right now though.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi Car Man -

Looks like we are going to pull the trigger in April on the Forester 2.5XT Touring. Do you have the April Money Factor and residual values on 12,000 miles/year?

Thank you for all of your help so far.
    You're welcome arandazzo. Subaru's April buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 Forester 2.5 XT Touring with 12,000 miles per year are .00090 and 54%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
  • im4sockeyeim4sockeye Member Posts: 14
    Do you have the lease rates and residual for the Subaru Forester 2.5x Premium model on a 12K lease 36 months in ZIP 98004? Is it different for the limited model? (NOT the Turbo)
  • im4sockeyeim4sockeye Member Posts: 14
    I forgot to ask about the acquisition fee on the lease. Is this a stock fee for Chase products? If so, if I find it different in the Finance Office, can I assume the dealer is adding something to the "bank" fee??
  • burgenburgen Member Posts: 2
    Hi Car Man,
    Thanks for all the info you give in here.
    Can you please provide the residual and money factor for a 2012 Forester X2.5 premium (with All Weather package)?
    I live in 06460 (does that make any difference?)

thanks!

B.
  • pshustedpshusted Member Posts: 1
    Hi Car_man! Would you happen to know the current lease rate for a 2.5X Premium Forester in Newport Beach/Irvine, CA? Also, the residual value and money factor if available?

The dealer I went to tried to price the Premium at 27,600... it's under 24K on subaru.com

I also caught that they are saying the residual is at 51%, but I'm skeptical.

Thanks!!
    Hi im4sockeye. Subaru's May buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 Forester 2.5X Premium with 12,000 miles per year are .00120 and 57%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a 2.5X Limited are .00130 and 56%.

Car_man
    Host
  • cowgirl15cowgirl15 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Car_man, Do you know the June money factor and residual value for a 2.5X Limited PZEV Forester in Woodland Hills CA with 12000 miles per year for a 36 mo lease? They quoted me $27,567 for this car with a navigational system, about $700 over invoice, is this reasonable? Also, they told me my monthly payment would be $412 with a down payment of $2000. I thought that was a bit high.

Thanks so much.
  • rmervaurmervau Member Posts: 10
    That is way way to high!!! If you can't get this car for 285.00 a month for those lease details.. You have goit to walk to another Subaru dealer.

you can get a 2012 subaru with power driverseat and sun roof pzev or not for 249 amonth in travers ecity Michigan.

do a lease with another dealer and have the car drop shipped if you ahve to!
    edited June 2012
    I certainly do cowgirl15.

Chase's June buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 Forester Limited with 12,000 miles per year are .00110 and 55%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

I'd say that $700 over invoice is a reasonable price for this vehicle, though you might be able to shave off another couple hundred dollars off of the Forester's price if you are in an area that has a decent level of competition and have some time to shop around.

The payment that you were quoted does look a little high to me.

Car_man
    Host
    You should not be paying anywhere near 400 a mon th or even 300 amonth for that lease..Not for a for. Never! Money would ahve to be scarce and your credit 580 to be even close (well Chase would never lease it to you then anyway! ..Chase is the leasing bank behind all Subaru corporate/dealer leases)

Go to another dealer, there are lots of subbies on the road, they have great residual, and yours will too.
    Pay no more than 270 month for that thing!
  • coolnrg430coolnrg430 Member Posts: 1
    Yay for first post! And yay for thinking of getting a Subaru Forester for my first car!

I'm looking to lease a 2.5X Limited - 10,000 miles, 36 month. I was quoted $2,617 C.O.D. and the monthly payments would come to $349. As I understood it, the $2,617 included all taxes and fees and would be the final out of pocket costs. I've played with the lease calculator here on Edmunds.com and can't seem to get the numbers to work out. The money factor quoted was .00110 and the residual was 54%. Cap cost was invoice price for the car - I believe it was around $26,000. I live in Long Island, NY. I was wondering if the quote looked good, or if there was any room for improvement. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

D
  • sub40sub40 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to lease a 2012 Forester X Premium and the dealer gave me a quote of $326.51/month with $1500 down. The MSRP is $27,206 (has moon roof, nav, all weather package) but they are giving it to me for $24,566 because they want to get the 2012s off their lot to make room for the 2013s. It's a 15,000 mile/yr lease for 36 months. The resid % is 57% and the factor is 0.0013. They also have cap red $617, taxes/group of $807, and fees of $555 (not sure what they are but it's on the invoice).

Does this seem like a good deal? I think it sounds decent but I want to make sure.

36 month lease
    15,000 miles/yr
    $27,206 MSRP
    $24,566 negotiated price
    .0013 factor
    57% residual
    $1500 down
    $326/month
  • pdd1pdd1 Member Posts: 1
    hi; i'm looking to lease a 2012 2.5 x w/5 speed + alloy wheel package. 0 down 36 mos. @ 10k mi year. any idea what i should expect to pay?
  • pheat0npheat0n Member Posts: 6
    So if I have a trade in that I can probably get $2500 on. . Would it be crazy for me to think I can get a 2.5x Premium for around $250 lease per month?
    You should be able to lease it for even less! With 2500 down and around 12,000 to 15000 miles per year. Some where in the range of 229 to 249 a month for 36 to 38 months. If the dealer doesn't go for it.. Walk! Go to the next Subbie dealer.
    Thank you for the reply. What do you think I would need to negotiate down to if I can get $2500 on my trade to keep it in the $250 range? I have decent credit. Hoping to get the 2.5x Premium with All Weather Package.

Thanks for your help..
    edited August 2012
    Ok. So help me out. I'm going to try and lease a 2012 Forester. All I've done so far is e-mail the dealership for an "e-quote". This is for a 2012 2.5x Premium, Automatic, with the All Weather Package in Obsidian Black. They replied with an internet price of $23,204. They list the following as options: Dual exhaust tail pipe cover, rear bumper cover, body side molding kit, Auto-Dim mirror compass. They say the MSRP is $26,175. What price should I shoot for? I'm not sure how to figure what the invoice price is with all of those extras added on. Or should I ignore the options and shoot for the invoice price of $21,900 ?

Also, for my trade. I have a 2000 106,000k miles SUV I'll be trading in. NADA says that it's values are, $2325 rough, $3000 average, $3,550 clean, and $5525 retail. It's not paid off, I think I owe about $1000 on it and would of course prefer them to do the work to get the thing paid off and stuff. I would call it an average trade in, it needs some work. Brakes, CV joints, U-joints, which makes it squeak a bit, and will probably be noticed during an appraisal. What do you think I should try to get out of it?

Ideally I would like to use my trade as the money down to soften the monthly payment. I realize that you don't ever see that money back, but really, I don't want to pay over $250 per month. Is this possible, or am I just dreaming? Maybe I can get it even lower? $230?

Thanks for reading.
    1st off, you need to negotiate the price and get on the line (phone with them) and another dealer to get a couple of price quotes.

the price they are quoting is pretty fair..... Always remember, NEGOTIATE THE PRICE OF THE CAR THEN TELL THEM YOU WILL LEASE IT.! If they try to get you a different deal for the same car...WALK! to the next Subaru dealer

the "options" they are listing is the old gag of saying it comes with "tires and brakes and a steering wheel"..lol
    All the Suburaus come with dual exhausts! Tail pipe covers is a formality that they should not be using to get you to buy the car! It come out the factory with them! Sheesh!

Now your Trade IN: You will be better off selling it yourself.. the dealer will not give much of anything for it then they will take it (what ever it is and sell it at 3 times what they paid you for it. they will hit you hard for the condition, and the work it needs mechanically.

you can get this car for $250 to $260 a month of lower just by walking in!
    If they want to give $2000 for you just being there and breathing take it.. But only after negotiating the price.

Option: Look at a 2.5 premium with power driver seat.. Same car less money!
  • rcfishyrcfishy Member Posts: 2
    Carman, can you tell me the September lease rates and residuals for both 12k and 15k lease? Thanks

Also with the Crosstrek XV coming out, any info on lease rates and residuals on that model as another option?
    Hi rcfishy. Chase's September buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 Forester X with 15,000 miles per year are .00090 and 57%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of the all-new Crosstrek XV 2.0i Limited are .00235 and 59%.

The residual values for leases with only 12,000 miles per year would be 1% higher.

Car_man
    Host
  • which_car2012which_car2012 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2012
    Dear Car_Man: I keep reading your posts. Do you work for Chase Bank? How do you get the rates? :)

I am looking to lease 2012 Forester X Premium. I got couple of dealers quoting me this:
    MF: .0012
    36 Months at 10K per year.
    Residual Value is 60% for 10K miles, and 59% for 12K miles.
    This is for NJ and PA in greater Philly area if this makes any difference. DO you have anything different in terms of info. Thank you.
  • which_car2012which_car2012 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2012
    Folks,

I just finished the lease deal on 2013 Forester X Premium.
    This is what was quoted to me by at least 6 dealers in NJ and PA for a 36 month lease
    The Money Factor is .00125.
    60% for 10K Miles
    59% for 12K Miles
    58% for 15 Miles
    I took the 12K option. They will try to sell you 39 month lease. My suggestion is not to get into it because the MFG warranty is good for only 36 months and you will be left hanging for 3 months without basic warranty should anything happen to the vehicle.
    Unfortunately, I had to pay the following fees:
    --Acquisition Fee: $595 (which I chose to pay separately and NOT include in the lease because there would have been interest on it).
    --Dealer Doc Fee( NJ is a bit higher than PA and it varies from dealer-dealer. Mine was $189 but I had the dealer to reduce $100 off it from the vehicle cost.
    --There is also a disposition fee at the end of the lease should I choose not to buy the vehicle - it is $300.
    Vehicle cost was $26,850. Got it $400 below invoice incl. the $100 offset against the dealer doc fee. I got the invoice prices from Edmunds, Nada, and ConsumerReports and they pretty much aligned with that of dealer's except about $50-$60 bucks. The dealer appreciated the fact that I did my homework, knew what the numbers would look like. No gimmicks, no BS, nothing. Plain, simple deal which was done in less than 45 minutes.
    I thought I will post this so others could find the applicable fees and MF, and res values all in one place at least for the month of Oct 2013. Good luck.
    PS: This link helped me understand the basics of lease, i.e. lease calc 101:
    http://www.edmunds.com/car-leasing/calculate-your-own-lease-payment.html
  • ananyc1ananyc1 Member Posts: 3
    Hello, I am looking for a similar outback lease. Which dealer did you go to? If you do not mind sharing also how much is your monthly payment? Thanks!
    Hi which_car2012. It's magic ;). I don't think that Subaru is leasing the 2012 Forester any longer. It does have a lease program on the 2013 model. Chase's October buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 Forester X Premium with 10,000 miles per year are .00130 and 60%. This is for a base Premium model. If you add certain options the money factor drops to .00120. So the numbers that you were quoted look good.

Car_man
    Host
    You need to negotiate the deal with the dealer/salesperson/f&I person. Get a better factor.. Especially for a base model.

you should be able to lease that car (2012 or 2013 either one) for around 235.)) per month with 15,000 miles per year and 42 months

If they wont do that deal..walk!
  • jmr9jmr9 Member Posts: 26
    Could you please give me the numbers on a 2013 Forester 2.5X/Auto

42 months
    10K miles

ThanksÐ
    same as before...:

you should be able to lease that car (2012 or 2013 either one) for around 235.)) per month with 15,000 miles per year and 42 months

If they wont do it..then walk to the next dealer!
  • jmr9jmr9 Member Posts: 26
    What do you think about these numbers? Selling price = invoice.
    10K miles, 42 months

0 down-289/month
    3000 down-212/month

ThanksÐ
    Sure jmr9. Chase's October buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 42-month lease of a 2013 Forester 2.5X Auto with 10,000 miles per year are .00100 and 54% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey jmr9. A selling price of dealer invoice is a good deal. Go with the $0 down option rather than the $3,000 down.

Car_man
    Host
  • ananyc1ananyc1 Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2012
    What is Chase's November lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 Forester 2.5X Premium with All Weather Package/ 12 k per year in NY?
    Hi ananyc1. Chase's November buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 Forester 2.5X Premium with All Weather Package and 12,000 miles per year are .00090 and 57% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
    ananc1.... Remember this is all negotiable.. negotiate the price of the car first then negotiate your terms for leasing the vehicle based on the agreed to price.. If the dealer says they will only talk either one (lease price or purchase and will not negotiate either..., then walk to the next dealer!
  • pcs714pcs714 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Carman,

Would you happen to know the money factor & residual for 2013 forester limited. for 15k/yr and 36 months.

Thanks
    Here you go pcs714. Chase's December buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 Forester Limited with 15,000 miles per year are .00110 and 56% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
  • hpzhpz Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    Hi,
    Wondering if you can tell me what the latest rates etc. are for

12000K/Year
    39 and 42 months

residuals and money factors. Very good credit.
    local dealer said for 39
    54% and .009

don't think that's very good but wanted to check.
    Hi hpz. Through January 7th, Chase's buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 39-month lease of a 2013 Forester 2.5X with 12,000 miles per year are .00075 and 55% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 42-month lease are .00085 and 52%.

Car_man
    Host
This discussion has been closed.