Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Impreza Lease Questions

Comments

• z2adambombz2adambomb Member Posts: 18
    I figured I'd post the numbers I got yesterday for WRX's. The lease rates aren't really relevant since I didn't negotiate any further once I saw the money factor. I was quoted with a 0.0033 money factor on both the WRX base and Premium. Based on 12k mi/yr 36 month leases, the base had a residual of 58% and the premium 55%. It's really unfortunate, I know they'd bring the buying price down quite a bit, and the residual is very good, but the money factor kills leasing a WRX right now. Hopefully the April numbers will be better.
  • skaswing17skaswing17 Member Posts: 6
    Holy cow! Yeah, I guess I'll definitely wait at least till April's numbers come out before I decide on whether or not lease a WRX Premium now. I was hoping someone here would know historically how the money factors and residuals have changed over the summer into early fall. Thanks for the info z2adambomb, please let me know if you get any updated info.
  • mattf2mattf2 Member Posts: 2
    I closed Monday on a 2009 Impreza wagon with navigation and satellite radio in the Chicago area. The MSRP with options was $24,158, but they sold it to me for $21,407 after a $750 rebate (several hundred dollars below invoice). The Tier I money factor was .0027 for 36 months, .00269 for 39, .00266 for 42 months, and .00274 for 48 months. The residual value was 52% for 36 months, 50% for 39, 49% for 42 months, and 44% for 48 months. I went with 42 months. An independent leasing company told me the residual on the Impreza wagon is lower than the sedan; apparently fewer people want to wagon. (I think that's weird, but I like hatchbacks.) Thanks for your help.
  • sdfoersdfoer Member Posts: 2
    how you guys doin.me and my wife recentlly went to a subaru dealer in nj she was interested in leasing a impreza they ran her credit and then told her she couldnt because she had a credit score of 635 she filed bankruptcy 4 years ago and everything is discharged can yo get a lease even tho you dont have perfect credit? this is our first car we are trying to get so the game is new to us any help is appreciated
    thanks in advance
    :confuse: :mad:
  • stoopystoopy Member Posts: 105
    You CAN lease a car with a Tier IV credit score of 620 although you wouldn't want to. The finance charge (money factor) is more than twice that of a 700+ Tier I. Wouldnt make any financial sense.

Buy it on a 60 month bank loan, it will be way, way cheaper.
  • chuck68516chuck68516 Member Posts: 195
    Actually, the Money Factor for Tier I is .00220 not the .00270 you got. You are probably Tier II. 39 month would've also been .00220 not .00269. They effed you if your credit score is actually above 700.

Why would you lease for 42 months? You are going to be out of warranty for 6 months. Plus you'll have to put new tires on it before you turn it in. I'm guessing your payment is just over $355 a month unless you put money down. Not a good deal at all in my opinion.
  • lch77lch77 Member Posts: 53
    I still think my "quick" check of lease prices takes everything (MSRP, MF, Cap Cost, rebates and residual) into account. I base it on minimal money down (title & doc fees, etc.), 36 months and 15,000 miles per year. Just divide the MSRP by the monthly payment. 70-75 is typical. 80 is very good. 90 is excellent, and 100 and over is great. As a test, try this on any lease you're looking at. Of course, the best way is to convert all of your costs into PV using your personal opportunity interest rate (not the MF), but this method is complicated and time consuming.

Anyway, now that I am reviewing the details below (lease factor of 74 - not too good), but it looks like I'm paying within $26 of Invoice less $1000 in rebates plus acquisition fee.

2009 Subaru Outback Sport with iPod interface, splash guards, armrest extension with an MSRP of $22,208.

MSRP: $22,208
    Edmunds Invoice: $20,997
    Aquisition fee: $595
    Residual: $12658.56 (based on the above 58%, it appears that the splash guards are included in the residual, but the iPod interface and arm rest extension are not)
    Car Show Coupon: $500
    Factory Rebate: $500
    Cap Cost: $20,566.35
    MF: .00220 (as reported here, not from the dealer)

Monthly Lease: $301.73 plus 9% PA tax= $328.89
    OTD: $549 ($328.89+doc, license, title fees of $220.11)
  • sdfoersdfoer Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the help....we are going to buy either a impreza or mazda 3 well see....its just dealing with the shady salesmen sometimes gets frustrating first car so we are learning as we go to dealers and hlp wit purchasing options is appreciated
    thanks again
  • indianajohnsindianajohns Member Posts: 89
    There really is no need to do any kind of "GUESSTIMATES." It only takes 30 seconds to calculate a lease down to the penny. All you need is the MF, Residual, MSRP, Selling Price + fees, sales tax rate. It literallly takes half a minute to figure. I could see inventing some kind of shortcut if it was a Good WIll Hunting type equation but it isn't. Basic math skills will give you an EXACT payment in mere seconds.

Also, the 15,000 mile residuals for a 2009 Outback Sport AT is 65% on 24 months, 57% on 36 months and there are no factory rebates to customer. There is $500 in manufacturer to dealer cash. I've seen selling prices for these at $19,500 plus the acquistion fee. Don't even bother to check TMV price. Doesn't equate to anything. Monthly payment for 15K, 36 months would be $303.87 including tax. 12,000 miles would be $297.68 including tax.
  • wonwayoutwonwayout Member Posts: 4
    I just leased a 2009 Impreza, automatic transmission with Premium Pkg plus a remote auto start and iPod adapter. 36 month lease, 10k miles per year. $950 down, $275/month. Buyout is $12,300. Seemed like a good eal. enjoying the vehicle so far. FYI, this was from a northern NJ Subaru dealership, leased through their arrangement with Chase.
    True you can do that with a lease calculator after you get those factors, but the only place I've been able to find out what they are is when Car Man posts them. Also, I believe your numbers are for the Outback, not the Imprezza Outback Sport, correct?

My lease factor is not used to determine what the lease is but "is it a good deal?" And this is "is it a good deal versus any car you can lease" versus "is it a good deal" on this particular car." My deal was based on $1000 under Invoice, a .00220 MF and an approximate 58% residual. I think it was about as good as can be had for THIS car in March/April 2009 so in that perspective, it was a good deal, but the lease factor of only 74 tells me that there are better deals out there for other cars.

If you go to Suburu's website, you see a lease offer that gives a lease factor of over 100. Well, at fist that looks great compared to my 74 but requires $1120 down and only 12K miles. Even with that, it's pretty good as to get that rate they used a 62% residual and an approximate .00180 MF. Delete the down payment and increase the miles to 15K and comparable lease goes to about $220 or a lease factor of 82, which I think is pretty good.

So how can they advertise a 84 factor when i only got a 74%? Probably, the OBS has options that don't residualize as well and they used a "teaser" MF to get you into the store.
  • chuck68516chuck68516 Member Posts: 195
    Those are the numbers I have for the Impreza Outback Sport (9LK) as well. 57% & .220

You could finance this car through Subary at 2.9% for 60 months wiith a payment of $376. Then you could claim the sales tax (financed in) as a deduction on your 2009 Income Tax Return.
    Wow, I didn't realize that the monthly payment for purchase was that close to the lease. However, for my circumstances the lease works out much better. It is a business car and the IRS rules for a business lease are much simpler than those for a business purchase. I figure with the Section 179 bonus it would be less expensive for the business to buy it, but, as i said, I find it too complicated. To buy a car, I find it easier to purchase it personally and have the business pay me back using the IRS mileage rate even though it is probably too low for all but the cheapest cars. However, this year's Sales Tax deduction does help.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Congratulations on getting your new Impreza, wonwayout. Thanks for taking the time to share the details of your lease with everyone. Real world examples of payments are always extremely helpful for community members who are in the market for similar vehicles. If you have the time, make sure to hop on over to the Dealer Ratings & Reviews section of Edmunds.com to share your thoughts on your recent dealer experience as well. Enjoy your new ride :shades: !

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • skaswing17skaswing17 Member Posts: 6
    Car _Man

What are the money factors and residuals this month for a 12K, 36 month, manual, 5 door Impreza base, premium, WRX base, and WRX premium? Any rebates, or lease cash available? Thanks

SKASWING17
  • oaklandmattoaklandmatt Member Posts: 2
    I have the same question as the above WRX 5 door, base maybe premium but am interested in 15k miles. I have a small business so leasing is easier to account.

Also with the financing it is not clear to me what the terms are 2.9 for 36 months? then 3.9 for x?

At .15/ mile penalty fee, is it always better to negotiate extra mileage into the lease or just hold the money and pay it at the end of three years? Thanks
    Hi skaswing17. Here's the information that you're looking for.

Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Impreza 5-Door Premium with manual transmission and 12,000 miles per year are .00120 and 53%, respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '09 WRX Wagon base are .00270 and 53%.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '09 WRX Wagon Premium are .00270 and 50%.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi oaklandmatt. If you are interested in leasing a similar vehicle, please see my previous post for the information that you are looking for. Subaru's residual values for leases with 15,000 miles per year are 1% lower than its 12,000 mile per year resids.

As far as this car's special financing offer goes, I believe that it is now 2.9T for up to 6 years.

If you believe that you will need to drive more than 15,000 miles per year it probably will be to your benefit to purchase additional miles at lease signing. Most banks provide lessees with a discount per mile versus what they would have to pay as an excess mileage penalty at lease-end for doing so.

Car_man
    Host
  • oaklandmattoaklandmatt Member Posts: 2
    Car Man,
    Thanks for your information. I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on a Wagon 9LO? Base at 23750 with nothing down financing over the full 72 months. Looks like a better deal to me than the lease at the moment and then I don't have to even think about the mileage. I am considering a wagon with the short shifter and armrest for 24150. Thanks!

Matt
  • nightcrawler29nightcrawler29 Member Posts: 146
    Hello everyone, I am from Texas, and would like to find out what is the money factor and residual % for a 2009 subaru impreza outback sport (9LK) for this month. That would be a 36 mth lease with 12k miles/yr limit. Do you think leasing is a better deal than buying at this time, or what's the scoop?
    Thanks!
  • rws0131rws0131 Member Posts: 27
    Carman,

Do you know what the June numbers are for a 36 month lease on the 2009 WRX Premium 4-door with 15,000 miles as far as residual and money factor?

Thanks,

RWS
    Hi nightcrawler29. Here's the information that you're looking for. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Impreza Outback Sport with 12,000 miles per year are .00200 and 57%, respectively.

This lease program isn't bad. I personally like leasing, so I probably would go that route rather than financing it at 2.9% for 6 years at this point, but you rreally can't go wrong with either option.

When negotiating your lease on this car, make sure to take advantage of the $500 cash incentive that is currently available on it.

Car_man
    Host
    Here you go, RWS. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 WRX Premium 4-door without navigation with 15,000 miles per year are .00245 and 52%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • ausdtechausdtech Member Posts: 37
    Hi Car_man,

Any chance of getting the rate and residual for both base and premium impreza 5-door with manual transmission.

2 years 24k miles and 3/36

I'm in northern california if the programs vary by region.

Thanks!
  • jabibi100jabibi100 Member Posts: 1
    What would it cost to lease a Subaru iimpreza 2.5i premium or 2.5 GT with the following features?

Manual 5 - speed transmission (2.5i premium) Automatic 4 speed (2.5 GT)
    5 - Door option
    Front underspoiler
    Deck Lid Spoiler
    iPod Interface
    Subwoofer/Amplifier
    Rear Bumper Molding
    Splash Guard Kit
    Body Side Molding
    Short Throw Shifter (2.5i Premium)
    Tail Pipe Cover
    Rear Underspoiler
    Bumper Cover
    Roof Carrioer Base
    SPT Exhaust System (2.5GT)
    Thank you for the info Car man. At this point I'm ready to pull the trigger on the impreza outback sport. What is the best way to approach the dealers? I plan on sending out a mass email to several subaru dealers around my location and give them a deadline to respond. What would be the best way to do this?
    Thanks
    So I tried to pull the trigger on an 09 impreza OBS, but it turns out that there was only one car with the color I wanted in the entire state..... why is it so hard to find the sage green metallic color?? I'm yet to see one on the road, so they don't seem to get many of those I suppose. But anyway, a dealer told me that one would be arriving on Monday. So I'm wondering if there are any attractive incentives this month considering its almost 4th of July. I would love to see a 0% apr offer or maybe even more rebates than the $1500. I hear that the 2010's are coming in in August, so I'm thinking they should be offering good incentives to clear the 09's. Do you guys think $18800 before TTL is a good deal?
  • rws0131rws0131 Member Posts: 27
    Carman,

Did the MF and Residuals change for July for the 2009 Impreza WRX Premium 4-door for 36 months/15,000 per year? They were .00245 and 52%

Thanks,

RWS
    Hi ausdtech. Here's the information that you're looking for. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Impreza 2.5i Wagon with a manual transmission and 12,000 miles per year are .00120 and 51%, respectively. The numbers for a lease of an '09 Impreza Wagon Premium with a manual transmission are exactly the same.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi jabibi100. I would be happy to work up a sample lease payment on this car for you, but in order for me to do so I need you to provide me with its MSRP and either its dealer invoice price or approximate selling price first. You can find that information over in the New Vehicle Pricing section of Edmunds.com.

Car_man
    Host
    No problem, nightcrawler29. If I was in the market for a new Subaru, I personally would do some research here on Edmunds.com to figure out exactly how much I wanted to pay and then go visit a couple local dealers in person. Dealers take shoppers who are on their lots a lot more seriously than they do phone calls or e-mails. If a dealer agreed to sell me the Impreza for the price that I wanted to pay, I'd do the deal. If not, I'd shop around some more.

Car_man
    Host
    Here's the information that you're looking for, rws0131. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Impreza WRX Premium 4-door with 15,000 miles per year are still the same in July, .00245 and 52%.

Car_man
    Host
  • zschillezschille Member Posts: 1
    HI car_man: Here's where I am with negotiations on a fairly loaded 2.5i premium in Northeast Ohio.

trade-in valued at 7000 but haven't negotiated that yet.

msrp: 21,199
    Sale Price - 20,614
    rate factor .00170
    residual 11,387.48.

Showing a 153 - 158/mo lease (36/12). How does this check out with what you know right now?

Thanks!
  • j_smith1j_smith1 Member Posts: 60
    Does anyone know what the residual is on a 24mo lease on the base 2009 WRX? Sedan or Wagon?
    Thanks.
    Hi zschille. Are you interested in getting a 4 door or a 5 door Impreza. It matters because there is a difference in the incentives that are available on them. In August, Subaru was providing $1,000 on the 5 door Impreza 2.5i Premium and $1,500 on the Impreza 2.5i 4 door premium. Which ever model you want, make sure to take this cash into account when negotiating your vehicle's selling price.

You should be able to negotiate a dealer discount on top of these cash incentives. If I was in the market for an Impreza right now, I personally would shoot for a selling price of $500 over dealer invoice minus any available cash incentives. You can look up the exact invoice price of the car that you are interested in over in the New Vehicle Pricing section of this site.

I see that you are considering trading in your current vehicle when leasing your new one. There's nothing wrong with trading something in when leasing, just make sure to have the dealer cut you a check for your trade rather than using the proceeds as a capitalized cost reduction for your new lease.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello j_smith1. Subaru's August buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2009 WRX Sedan with 15,000 miles per year were .00280 and 58%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '09 WRX Wagon were .00280 and 54%.

Subaru's August lease program just expired yesterday. It is scheduled to publish its new September program at some point this afternoon. I would be happy to give you an update on these cars' Sept. numbers if you're interested. Just let me know.

Car_man
    Host
  • manageoutmanageout Member Posts: 3
    Hi Car Man, do you have the MF and residual value for the new 2010 impreza premium trim hatchback? Thank you. -pat
    I certainly do Pat. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Impreza Sedan Premium with 15,000 miles per year are .00190 and 58%, respectively.

You never mentioned how long you want to lease for or what mileage allowance you need, so I had to make some assumptions. Let me know if you want something different.

Car_man
    Host
  • zeebrockzeebrock Member Posts: 4
    Car_Man, would you be so kind as to provide me with the following MF and Res please?

2009 WRX STi 12k & 15k 36/39mth lease
    2010 WRX STi 12k & 15k 36/39mth lease

Also are there any applicable offers/holdback/discounts?

thank you

John
  • djhalptertdjhalptert Member Posts: 115
    Car_man,

Do you have the lease rates and residuals for 24 and 36 month leases with 10,000 per year for the 2010 Impreza Outback Sport?

Thanks.
    Hi John. Here's the information that you're looking for. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 WRX STi with 15,000 miles per year are .00190 and 55%, respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 39 month lease are .00190 and 53%.

This car's residual values would be 1% higher if you were to lease with only 12,000 miles per year.

Subaru is not providing support on leases of the 2009 model any longer, so you really don't want to lease that one.

The 2010 Impreza does not currently have any cash incentives available on it.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey djhalptert. Here's the information that you're looking for. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Outback Sport with 10,000 miles per year are .00190 and 54%, respectively.

For some reason Subaru is not currently providing support on two year leases, so you definitely do not want to lease this car for that term.

Car_man
    Host
  • nicu2001nicu2001 Member Posts: 10
    Hi, I was wondering what the residual and money factors are on the following:

2010 Impeza WRX Sedan Premium, 36mo, 10k miles and 12k miles
    2010 Impeza WRX Sedan, 36mo, 10k miles and 12k miles

Thanks
  • xhcxkidxhcxkid Member Posts: 4
    wondering lease info for
    12,000 mi/yr for either a 5door premium auto
    or a outback sport
  • zeebrockzeebrock Member Posts: 4
    Thankyou Car_man, you are the man!

John
    Hi nicu2001. Here's the information that you're looking for.

Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a WRX Sedan Premium with 12,000 miles per year are .00155 and 54%, respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a '10 WRX Sedan Base are .00155 and 57%.

If you were to lease either of these cars with only 10,000 miles per year, their residual values would be 1% higher.

Car_man
    Host
    Here you go xhcxkid. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Impreza 5-Door Premium with 12,000 miles per year are .00190 and 55%, respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a 2010 Outback Sport are .00190 and 58%.

Car_man
    Host
    No problem zeebrock :shades: .

Car_man
    Host
  • jnkohjnkoh Member Posts: 37
    Hi Carman
    Do you have the lease numbers for the a 2010 Impreza 2.5i auto with 10K miles/year for 3 years? are their any rebates for December? Are there better deals on a 2009? thanks
    Hi jnkoh. Here's the information that you're looking for. Subaru's current money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a base 2010 Impreza 2.5i with 10,000 miles per year are .00155 and 59%, respectively.

Subaru is not currently providing any cash incentives on the '10 Impreza. It does have cash on the '09 model, but no lease support.

Car_man
    Host