Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Impreza Lease Questions

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi saru1. Since you have never leased an Impreza before, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

The most important numbers to focus on when leasing are your vehicle's selling price and the money factor that is being used to calculate its monthly payment. Make sure to find out both of these numbers before finalizing your deal. If you let me know what the selling price is I would be happy to give you my opinion of it. For now I can tell you that Subaru Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Wagon with 15,000 miles per year are .00135 and 59%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    You're welcome, sidz. The MSRP is a good starting place, but you really need to find out this car's selling price before finalizing your deal. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. If you don't know what a good price for this car is, you may be able to get an idea of how much you should pay for one by visiting the following discussion: "Subaru Impreza & Impreza WRX STI: Prices Paid & Buying Experience".

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • frankfrankfrankfrank Member Posts: 1
    I wanted your input before I even hit the Subaru dealer, so here it goes. I found an 07 sti I liked- this is the info I have on it so far:

Msrp $35,359
    Invoice $33,134*
    Annual mileage 12,000/yr or 1,000/month
    down payment $2500

Vip employer discount*

The next part gets tricky, but here it goes. My credit is terrible- I'm actually going through a bankruptcy right now and have to find another vehicle to purchase since my old one broke down and isn't worth fixing. I do have about $2500 for a down payment and my employer offers a Subaru VIP program discount (dealer invoice price). I also have a co-signer with good credit (high 780 range). Will a co-signer lower my interest rate? I was looking to lease between 3 and 4 years. I once heard that Subaru will not under any circumstances finance to someone who has a bankruptcy on their credit history- is this true or will a co-signer help? I've also seen companies online who claim to work nationwide to get anyone financed at the best rates possible- do you have any experience/thought on this? Thanks
  • glevittglevitt Member Posts: 30
    Hi Car_Man

Curious if you know what the lease program is for March for a Impreza WRX Wagon. I can find a program for the i wagon and work backwards to the money factor, but I can't find anything for the WRX. I am thinking either a 24-27 month lease or 36. 10-12k mi/year. If you have some rough figures I could put into a model that would be great. Many Thanks!
  • thefinzthefinz Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if Car_Man's numbers of .00135 and 59% are still accurate. I am looking at leasing an '07 2.5i Impreza Wagon with a MSRP of $19701.00 and a selling point of 17641.24.

According to my calculations on this should put me at somewhere around $217 a month. I'm looking at going out and pricing very soon, but I want to know if my estimates are accurate. I'm looking in the range of a 3 year lease at 15k mile per year.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!
  • tornadoredr32tornadoredr32 Member Posts: 5
    Car_Man,

Looking to check and see if the .00135 and 59% apply to current deals on the WRX regular edition and the special edition. If not do you know what the current rates are?

Currently being quoted at 56% and .0024 for 15K/year with a 36 term.

Thanks for the help.
    Hi frankfrank. Dealer invoice is a good price for a 2007 Subaru WRX STi. I am not personally all that familiar with Subaru Finance's credit requirements, but the fact that you have a co-signed definitely can't hurt. It is difficult for me to say whether you will be approved to lease this car through Subaru's captive finance company. Unfortunately, given the fact that you are going through a bankruptcy right now, there is a very good chance that you will not. If you don't qualify, you may want to consider paying cash or making as large a down payment as you possibly can on a used decent domestic car, like a Ford Taurus. By spending as little as possible on your new vehicle you can use the money that you save to get your finances back in good shape.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi glevitt. Here's the info that you're looking for. If you were to lease a 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon through Subaru Finance right now for 24 months with 12,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00280 and 64%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are .00245 and 55%. If you were to lease with only 10,000 miles per year, these residual values would be 1% higher.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi thefinz. Subaru Finance's March buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Wagon with 15,000 miles per year are .00135 and 59%, respectively just like they were last month. Using this lease program and the prices that you mentioned in your post, an MSRP of $19,701 and a selling price of $17,641, I estimate that this vehicle's zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $207.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hey tornadoredr32. This car's numbers are right around what you were quoted. Subaru Finance's current 36 month, 15,000 mile per year buy rate lease money factor and residual value for the 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan are .00245 and 56%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • researchworksresearchworks Member Posts: 2
    If I got a quote I can live with, do I still need to negotiate the selling price and money factor? I'm not sure I understand how to use these numbers and don't feel comfortable negotiating terms I don't understand.

If I don't negotiate these things, is it true that I can owe money on the back end of the lease?

Thanks!
  • bdumitrubdumitru Member Posts: 6
    Dear hosts and knowledgeable people around,

I am new to this forum, although I'm old to Edmunds.com. I hope you'll find the time to help a newbie.

In May 2006, I leased a 2006 2.5i manual Sport Wagon. The car is great; however, I am seriously considering terminating the lease early and instead starting a new lease for a 2007 WRX Limited sedan (manual).

My current lease details (on the '06 2.5i Sp. Wagon):
    - MSRP: 18,833; high, I guess;
    - net capitalized cost: 17,004 (after rebates, $1,000 down payment, and negociations); good, I guess;
    - residual: 8,637; low, I now realize;
    - depreciation: remaining 8,367;
    - APR: 2.88% (i.e. money factor: 0.0012); good, I think;
    - term: 48 months;
    - mileage: 15,000/ year;

So now I pay: (depreciation 174 + rent charge 31) * (tax 110%) = 225 a month.

The car is almost 1 year old, with 11,500 miles on it; exceptional condition, practically no wear and tear.

After this long introduction, my questions:

(A) If I return this car tomorrow to the dealership (good one, Day Apollo near Pittsburgh, PA), how much of a hit should I expect? In 4 years, 60,000 miles it would have depreciated $8,368... How much has the car depreciated in 1 year, 11,500 miles, in your opinion? I know I paid 174 * 12 = $2,088 towards depreciation, so I'd subtract that from your number and get an idea of how hard I'll be hit.

(B) Will it help (financially) that I want to lease another Subaru, and that I'm all good with their captive company? All I want is a more powerful car :-)

(C) For a 2007 Impreza WRX Limited (manual!), what invoice should I try to obtain; what residual value; what APR (can I get the same low 2.88%)? I'd do 48 months, 15,000 miles/year, same as I have right now.

(D) Any advice on when should I be doing this, i.e. on when good incentives might show? May, June, July? I'm 100% I want the '07 (completely personal preference on the redesign for '08).

(E) Will insurance go higher (by a lot)? I'm 26, not married, no kids, good job, okay driving record (speeding ticket last year, 10mph extra after many negociations).

I am sorry for posting such a long first message. I do hope somebody will find the time to help out.

Thanks a lot,
    --Bogdan, WRX wanna-be-owner :)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Being 25 or over helps a lot. Being married would also help, but rates shouldn't be too bad. Call you agent to get a quote, they can usually tell you in advance.

Now is a good time. Later might be slightly better, but even if prices do creep down a tad, selection will dwindle quickly. If you're picky about color, don't wait.
    Hi ateixeira,

Thanks for your reply.

"Being married would also help, but rates shouldn't be too bad."

I know, but... not now, hehe. :-)

Now, I'm more worried about the financial hit I might be taking on returning the '06 2.5i (details in my first message). Any guesstimate?...

Thanks,
    --Bogdan
    The good news is that they do hold their values well. If you sell it alone I bet you can recover 80% of what you paid, which is not bad.

Some people prefer the old styling, so that might also help. Sell it privately, though, you'll get killed on a wholesale trade-in.
    "The good news is that they do hold their values well. If you sell it alone I bet you can recover 80% of what you paid, which is not bad."

Well, I can't really sell it :-(
    It's leased, so all I can try is to find someone to take over the lease, right? Or am I wrong?

How "killed" do you think I'll get?... The car depreciates (according to the lease contract) ~$8,300 in 4 years, 15,000 miles/year. Now it has 1 year, 11,000 miles. Granted, it's the first year :-( But I'm hoping that the depreciation would be something like: 1st year = $3,200; 2nd year = $2,600; 3rd year = 1500; 4th year = 1000. Am I way off?

What do people here think?

Thanks,
    --B
    Sorry, missed that important point.

In this case the same dealer may be your best bet. He'll be motivated to make the new deal so he may help you get out of the old one.

Still, you will have taken delivery of two brand new cars, and New Car Smell is the most expensive smell in the world. ;)
    Hi researchworks. While it is a good idea to understand how to calculate lease payments, you can learn how to do so by reading the following article: Calculate Your Own Lease Payment, you don't necessarily have to know how to do so to get a good deal on a lease. Just shop around and negotiate the lowest selling price that you can on the Impreza that you want. You wouldn't finance or pay cash for this car without knowing what its selling price is would you? Leasing it without knowing what the selling price is the same thing.

The only charges that you may have to pay at lease-end are an excess mileage penalty if you exceed your mileage allowance, an excess wear and tear penalty if your vehicle is in rough shape, and a disposition fee if the bank that you are leasing through charges one.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Welcome to the leasing discussions, Bogdan. I am sorry to say that it is usually fairly expensive to get out of leases well before their scheduled end dates. In order to do so, you need to purchase the vehicle that you are currently leasing from the bank that you are leasing it through. It often turns out that it costs more to do so than your vehicle is worth on the open market. Furthermore, many banks expect consumers who end their leases early to still make all, or at least the depreciation portion of their remaining lease payments. As you can see, this can get very expensive.

You can determine approximately how much it will cost you to get out of your current lease by comparing its purchase price to its value on the open market at this time. You should place a call to the bank that you are leasing your vehicle through to find out its exact price. Once you know exactly how much money it is going to cost you to buy your leased vehicle you need to compare it to its current value on the open market. You can find out approximately what your vehicle is worth by looking up its Edmunds.com True Market Value in the Used Vehicle Pricing section of this site. You also may want to stop by the following discussion: "Real-World Trade-In Values". Don't forget to check to see if you are still on the hook for your remaining lease payments. The difference between your leased vehicle's current value and how much it will cost you to buy it plus any remaining lease payments that you are obligated to pay will equal the cost of getting out of your lease right now. You may find that you are better off waiting until you are closer to the scheduled end of your lease to get another new vehicle.

The fact that you want to lease another Subaru through Subaru Finance probably will not make much of a difference.

If you decide to lease a 2007 Impreza WRX Sedan through Subaru Finance right now for 48 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value would be .00245 and 56%, respectively. When negotiating your lease on this car, make sure to take the $500 lease cash that is currently available on it into account.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi Car_man,

First off, thank you for your detailed reply. This forum lives up to Edmunds.com reputation.

I've read my current lease contract in detail. It allows me to end the lease early, provided I pay: I - P - R + F, where:
    I = Invoice.
    P = Payments made so far (the part credited towards depreciation).
    R = Realized value of the vehicle (that me and the dealer agree upon).
    F = turn-in lease fee.
    Now:
    I = 17,000 (in contract), F = 300 (in contract).
    Then, hopefully:
    P = 175 * 13 = 2,275, since I've made 13 payments of 225 = depreciation 174 + rent charge 35 + tax 10%.
    R = 13,415, since that's the trade-in value appraised by Edmunds.com, for 12K miles, outstanding condition.
    So I'd have to pay 17,000 - 2,275 - 13,415 + 300 = 1,610.

Now, since R is negotiable, the end result may vary; I assume/ hope it won't go north of, say, 1,900. I could factor that in the new lease and pay approx. $40 a month. I know, paying money for a car I won't be driving...

Can you please tell me if my process of thought is far off? That is, am I dreaming dreams here or is this actually possible? (I did read the contract very carefully).

I mean, having a $2,000 negative equity doesn't sound exactly like a dream, but... I want the WRX really bad. :-)

Please let me know of your thoughts.

Thanks,
    --Bogdan
    Hi Car_man,

A couple more things, sorry for bugging you: on my current lease I got a 2.9% APR (through Subaru Finance, May 2006) and a bad residual value (aprox 47%). I see that the APR you quoted for the WRX for April 2007 (right now) is significantly worse, i.e. 5.9%, but in the same time the residual value is way better, i.e. 56%. So...
    (A) Do I stand any chance of "keeping" the old APR for the new lease? Or was that just an offer that I got last year, and I got it because it came with a bad residual?
    (B) Any "prediction" for the incentives for May 2007, through Subaru Finance? That is: APR (or money factor), residual, cash rebates? For leasing a WRX (possibly Limited), 48 months, 15K miles/year, I mean.
    (C) Can you please tell me where do you get these numbers from? Googling "Subaru Finance" yields no good results...

Thanks so much,
    --Bogdan
  • cky3396cky3396 Member Posts: 1
    Hey Car_man,

do you have the current residual and MF for 2007s? 24 month, 12 & 15k.

Also, with the next gen 08 comming out soon - would you say that the value of leftover 07 would drop significantly? How will the selling prices be affected?

Thanks
    You're very welcome, Bogdan. You're right, the more the dealer that you are working with agrees to give you for your leased vehicle as a trade, the less upside down you are on it. Your least expensive option is still to wait until you are as close as possible to the scheduled end of your current lease to get something new, but if you have to get a new SRX now negotiate as low a selling price as you can on it and as high a trade-in value as you can on your current vehicle.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hey Bogdan. Unfortunately, you will not be able to use the money factor that was used to calculate your current vehicle's lease payment on your new car. You will only be able to use the lease money factor that is available on the new vehicle that you want at the time that you physically take delivery of it.

I believe that Subaru's May lease program for this car is pretty similar to what its April lease program was like. I am not aware of any resource that provides accurate information on manufacturers' current lease programs to the general public.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hey cky3396. Here's the info that you're interested in. Subaru Auto Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a base 2007 Subaru WRX Sedan with 15,000 miles per year are .00280 and 65%, respectively. This car's 12,000 mile per year residual value for this term would be 1% higher.

I am not intimately familiar with what the market is like for the '07 WRX right now, but I suspect that dealer will be fairly anxious to unload their leftover '07s before the redesigned '08 model arrives. You may be able to get an idea of what you will have to pay for one right now by visiting the following discussion: "Subaru Impreza & Impreza WRX STI: Prices Paid & Buying Experience".

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Car_man, everybody,

Thanks a lot for your help. This forum was an invaluable resource for me in my car leasing experience.

To give back a bit, I'll share the details of my business.
    I traded in a 2006 Impreza Sport Wagon, 2.5i, manual, 11,800 miles, exceptional condition. On that car, I had obtained a 2.9% APR for 4 years, 15K miles/year. I negociated its value to something really close to $14K (a few good hundreds over Edmunds' trade-in value).

I got a brand-new 2007 Impreza WRX, sedan, Limited Package (additional option: auto-dimming mirror w/ compass), stick-shift of course (I'll kill myself before buying an automatic, hehe). I negociated it down to a tad bit over $26K. The residual was a bit south of 50% and the APR was under 6% (same deal: 4 years, 15K miles/year).

To wrap up: the base Impreza is a great car for the money, and its little engine does wonders when revved up. It handles well, and the AWD sends traction appropriately. However, it's no match for the WRX, neither in price nor in performance. The WRX pretty much leaves the competition in the ground... it really takes something along the lines of an STI/ Mitsu Evo/ Carrera/ M3/ S4 to beat it. The Limited Package is a nice plus... my girlfriend loves the heated seats, hehe. Bottom-line: get yourself a WRX, turn off the stereo, roll back the sunroof and enjoy the music of the turbo.

Thanks everybody,
    --Bogdan, WRX FTW :-)
  • passat_mxpassat_mx Member Posts: 32
    Hi,

Does car_man (or someone else) have the current money factor and residual for an Impreza 2.5i, at 36 months, 15k miles per year? I'm in California.

Thanks.
  • conger14conger14 Member Posts: 25
    Hey Bogdan,

How did you not get killed with money owed on the 06 sport wagon? I'm trying to trade in an 05 legacy GT wagon to lease an 07 wrx sedan and I'm getting killed with money owed. Plus, since we bought the car, we have made higher payments and I'm still getting killed.

Stephen
  • stompman76stompman76 Member Posts: 7
    Car_man,
    I am interested in leasing a 2007 wrx wagon ((msrp=$25,927) sale price incl. $1000 rebate = $23,500). What would the pretax lease payment be for a 36 or 48 month lease with 12k mi per year?

Ditto on an Impreza 2.5i wagon (MSRP = $19,299) (sale price of $17,500)?

Thanks for helping me out.

Jeremy
  • sidzsidz Member Posts: 4
    Hi,
    I have been reading the thread and the information is really useful. I was wondering, is there anyway to bail out of a signed lease before the term expires. I currently have an impreza and I was wondering if there is any legal and easy way to end the lease prematurely.
  • conger14conger14 Member Posts: 25
    I think if you can, you get hit with a bunch of fees. Unless you really don't like the car and want to get out, I think its usually best to wait it out. Another option might be leasing a different vehicle but again I think you get nailed with a ton of fees for closing out a lease early. I guess it depends on how close are you to ending your current lease? I'm sure a little research or a quick phone call would give you the best answers.
  • dvon1981dvon1981 Member Posts: 2
    Sidz,

I actually was just talking to my dealer about this. This was the response I was given which makes sense to me.

"There is currently a buyout for your lease, you would want to compare that number with your car's wholesale market value i.e. what we will pay you for it.

If you were to say "I want out of my lease right now" you have 2 options....

1. Make ALL your remaining payments and give the car back

2. Trade the car.... if the difference between the trade in value and your buyout is less then the total of your payments this would be a better option."

So basically you need to find out your buy out price and go from there
  • thedorkthedork Member Posts: 10
    Hi,

Anybody knows what is the current Subaru lease program ( money factor and residual value ) for Impreza 2.5 2007 wagon - auto or manual?

I want to lease a manual for 36 months/$0 down/12K miles/year?

I know the new model will be out soon - so the price should be pretty low - there was a price in the paper $15800.

Thanks,
    Thedork
  • thedorkthedork Member Posts: 10
    Thank you Carman! I hope you did mean - 2007 not 2006
    Hello Jeremy. Let's work up a lease payment on the car that you're interested in and see what we come up with. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon that has an MSRP of $25,927 and a selling price of $24,500 (I backed out the $1,000 cash incentive because it is not compatible with the WRX's special lease program) through Subaru Finance right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $373. The payment for an otherwise identical 48 month lease would be around $352.

The payments for otherwise identical 36 and 48 month leases of the 2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Wagon with an MSRP of $19,299 and a selling price of $17,500 are $220 and $234, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hi Thedork. Subaru Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5 Wagon with 12,000 miles per year are .00135 and 57%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • johnh7johnh7 Member Posts: 67
    Any lease numbers out yet for the 2008?

5 door Premium package 3 years 10,000 miles
  • dvon1981dvon1981 Member Posts: 2
    I'm also curious on 2008 money factor and residuals. Interested in 2008 2.5i hatch w/ sat nav package. 24 and 36 month info 12k miles/year
  • rallyfanrallyfan Member Posts: 36
    KEARNY MESA SUBARU IN SAN DIEGO HAS A GREAT LEASE 139 A MONTH 2250 DOWN 2K BACK
  • maddogmurphymaddogmurphy Member Posts: 3
    Car_man,

Do you have the August buy rate lease money factor and residual for a 2007 WRX STI? 36 month, 12k/yr.

Thanks
  • mvc1mvc1 Member Posts: 1
    Looking for info on what I should pay per month for a Impreza 2.5 Auto sedan Lease and any other info I could get about Impreza. This lease is for 3 years 12000 miles each year. Also what would be the buyout price.
  • mooseman923mooseman923 Member Posts: 3
    I have found a 08 impreza wrx. Its list is $28,095. Could someone help me out with the money factor and residuals for sept 07?

thanks
    Yes, I have seen the lease program for the all new 2008 Impreza, johnh7. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Impreza 2.5i Wagon with the Premium Package and 10,000 miles per year are .00160 and 58%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey dvon1981. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2008 Impreza Sedan with the Sat Nav Package and 12,000 miles per year are .00285 and 72%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are .00190 and 60%.

Car_man
    Host
    Here's the information that you're looking for, maddogmurphy. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX STi with 12,000 miles per year are .00200 and 57%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi mvc1. Your lease payment for this car will vary depending upon how you want it equipped and what selling price you are able to negotiate on it. You can look up the MSRP of the exact model that you want by visiting the Edmunds.com - New Vehicle Pricing section of this site. You will find its dealer invoice price there as well. You can use the invoice price to estimate how much you should pay. If I was in the market for a leftover '07 Impreza, I personally would shoot for a price of a couple hundred dollars over invoice minus the $1,000 lease cash that is currently available on it.

Once you have this car's MSRP and selling price, you can use them along with its lease program to estimate what your monthly payment should be. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 Impreza 2.5i Sedan with 12,000 miles per year are .00130 and 59%, respectively. If you provide me with the MSRP and selling price, I can use these numbers to estimate your payment for you.

Car_man
    Host
    Here you go, mooseman923. You never mentioned how long you want to lease for or what mileage allowance you need, so for now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. Subaru's September buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Impreza WRX Sedan without the Premium Package with 15,000 miles per year are .00260 and 60%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • johnh7johnh7 Member Posts: 67
    Thks - we ended up paying 276 per month on a 5 door with the premium package for 42 months and 10,000 miles. Not sure if it's a great deal, but my daughter likes the car and I'm not sure shopping this one would have produced substantially better results.
  • akaplan1akaplan1 Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys,

I'm trying to lease 2008 WRX 5dr with automatic. It comes with premium package. The dealer is saying that he is giving it to me for invoice. The terms are:

$0 at sign in.
    36 month
    10,000 miles
    $485 a month including tax
    I'm in Los Angeles 8.25 tax

Does this sound right to you. Seems high to me, but I'm not giving any down payment so maybe as good of deal as I can get don't know. Wanted to lease this weekend, but now don't know. :cry:
  • mikeogomikeogo Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking into leasing a 2008 Impreza 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A).

Invoice price $18,273
    $0 down at sign in
    12,000 miles
    I'm in Amherst NY... 8.75 tax
    36/42/48 month lease (whatever gives me lowest price)

What would be my approximate monthly payment?