Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty Problems and Solutions

Comments

• dorsey1dorsey1 Member Posts: 1
    My 2,000 F-150 left driver door window doesn't work. Rest of windows are fine. Replaced relay in fuse box and it was fine for two weeks, maybe total of six uses. Now it isn't. hy would a relay keep going out?
  • mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    Have you looked at a manual to see if these systems all have one thing in common? Could very well be one of those large, high capacity relay/maxi-fuses under the hood. Or a fusible link somewhere in the wiring harness could be the culprit.
  • ranger67ranger67 Member Posts: 2
    I picked up my F150 two weeks ago. After 70 miles on the road I realized I had problems. There are two problems: 1. a constant vibration like I am driving over a cobblestone road not matter at what speed. 2. if I accelerate between 55-60 mph, it bogs down and vibrates almost like a motor mount is lose. I returned my truck for repairs three days after I drove it off the lot. The dealership balanced the tires and ran diagnostics on the engine. I have no evidence they ever road tested it, and they never called me to verify that the problem was solved. I now have 3,000 miles on the vehicle and the vibration is no better. After a 600 mile trip this weekend, I found my body still shaking three hours after stepping out of the truck! Coincidently, I met another F150 owner at a gas pump on my trip, and he had experienced a similar problem with his 2004 off road version. He said he had tires replaced, drive shaft replaced, and other items, but still has the problem. I don't have the time or patience to continue taking my truck back to the dealership for repairs that may not solve the problem. I traded a great 2000 Lariat for the 2005 version. At this point I am plenty sorry for that decision.
  • grammergrammer Member Posts: 3
    I BOUGHT A 2001 FORD F250 5.4 V8 WITH 50000 MILES, I NOTICED A FUNNY NOISE WHEN IT GOES INTO LOCK UP. I CAN ONLY DESCRIBE IT AS A FLUTTER. I CAN'T REALLY TELL IF ITS COMING FORM THE TRANS OR MOTOR OR EXHAUST. THERE IS NO LOSS IN POWER OR NO ABNORMAL SHIFTING THAT I HAVE NOTICED. I'D LIKE TO KNOW WHAT IT MIGHT BE BEFORE I TAKE IT IN. YOU KNOW HOW EXPENSIVE IT IS FOR THEM JOKERS AT THE DEALERSHIP TO DIANOSE A PROBLEM! IF ITS NOT A MECHANICAL PROBLEM I JUST DEAL WITH IT BUT IF ITS SOMETHING THAT CAN CAUSE FURTHER DAMAGE I RATHER GET IT FIXED NOW.\
    THANKS
  • gator440gator440 Member Posts: 4
    If it was the relay, none of the windows would work, which narrows it down to either the switch or the motor. If you don't have the means to check either, I think the switch is cheaper.
  • paintmanpaintman Member Posts: 23
    i put in an aftermarket device on my turbo, it did give me more power the pickup speed is noticebly smoother and much faster, i am hoping for the 2-3 mpg increase they claim i'll get,. has anyone ever noticed any problems from doing this?
  • tired2tired2 Member Posts: 1
    MY DAUGHTER HAS A 2000 F-150 WITH TRITON 4.6 ENGINE,AUTO TRANS. SHE HAS HAD THE TRUCK AT LEAST 15 TIMES WHILE DRIVING ENGINE WILL STOP AND STEARING LOCKS UP.ONCE SHE GETS TO A STOP ENGINE WILL RESTART WITH OUT PROBLEM PROBABLY AS MUCH AS A MONTH OR MORE BETWEEN PROBLEM. BEEN TO FORD THEY ARE SCRATCHING THEIR HEADS.IM CONCERNED THIS COULD HAPPEN DURING A HIGH SPEED TURN AN CAUSE HER TO LOOSE CONTROLE OR WORSE.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    i put in an aftermarket device on my turbo, it did give me more power.............

What was this unnamed aftermarket device?
  • fordman78fordman78 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 78 ford f-150 its only 1 wheel drive. i can't find a pozy traction kit for it. anyone know where to look?
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    Not a real problem, but something to think about..... Automaker design the engines such that they make lower power, but they'll supposedly be trouble free for a long time. When you raise the engine's power output, then something's gotta give. Many of the "aftermarket devices" can make your exhaust gases run much hotter. This can cause the turbo to get too hot and and may result in premature bearing failure. ($$$) To play it safe you may want to put in an aftermarket exhaust gas temperature gauge called a Pyrometer. That way if the turbo is getting too hot you'll at least know about it and can adjust your driving accordingly.
  • paintmanpaintman Member Posts: 23
    it was a "shifty booster" by shiftyperformance
  • back_52back_52 Member Posts: 2
    On my 2003 F250 Superduty overhead center console,The eyeglass door broke off at the hinges, I cannot find any screws to remove it to replace door,does anyone know how it comes off.
    Thanks
    Robert
  • jamesojameso Member Posts: 1
    I've experienced a really bad front end vibration approximately 5 times over the last 3 months. The truck only has 19,000 miles on it. This vibration is so severe it feels as though the front tires are jack-hammering off the road. 4 out of the 5 times I pulled over, came to a complete stop and when I started to drive again, it was gone. This last time, I pulled over several times because the truck became almost undriveable but it didn't disappear so easily. It finally stopped after the 4th stop on the side of the road. I dropped the truck off this morning at the dealer in an effort to find what's wrong while still under warranty. He said "You're driving it like a car." What is that supposed to mean?!? This is no little vibration with an irritating noise; this feels as though the front tires are literally bouncing off the road. Something's definately wrong. Then he asked ME "What if I can't replicate it?" He's the mechanic isn't he? I hope they took a good look at what could be causing it, but I have a feeling I'm getting the "oh well" attitude. Anyone else experiencing this severe vibration?
  • obxlover4obxlover4 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2004 f150 lariat and had alot of problems with vibration. after taking the truck back to the dealer 4 times I decided to get rid of it so I talked to the salesman that sold it to me and he swore to me the 2005 model had the problem corrected supposedly the frame was to stiff. I purchased a 2005 lariat with every option 44,000 dollars. well this one has the problem but worse I only have a couple thousand miles on it but the salesman was fired before I could make a complaint to the dealership. the dealership will not accept any fault and they tested the truck and said the vibration was normal. I dont know but vibrating so bad that it will shake your sodas in the center console doesnt seem normal. maybee we should do a class action law suit???????
    I hate to rain on your parade but I don't think you can replace just the little door. You have to buy the overhead console assembly. :mad: ($$$) :cry:
  • back_52back_52 Member Posts: 2
    thanks but the price of the new door is $75 at the dealer.

Robert
  • dieselbluesdieselblues Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel 4wd that is having problems with the 4wd unit. It seems to slip out of 4wd low from time to time. When that happens I have to get out and manaully lock the hubs in then it appears to work fine. I have had the truck since it was new and have had all required maintenance done. I use the 4wd daily as I need it to get up my driveway. I have taken the truck to the dealer and, of course, it wouldn't fail for them so they couldn't fix it. Any suggestions on what to do next or what the problem might be?
  • obxlover4obxlover4 Member Posts: 2
    well yesterday I took the truck back to the dealer again they finnally told me straight up they didnt know how to fix the vibration and said it was something I would have to live with this was very nice to hear considering I have owned fords my whole life has anyone went further with this problem or has everyone decided to just give up
    I guess that was one of those incremental mods Ford's made to the trucks. In my year ('01), the door wasn't replaceble. Lotsa folks were angry when they had to replace the whole overhead.
    I realize your truck isn't that old but have you checked the vaccuum lines going to the "shift on the fly" actuators that engage the hubs. You may have the start of a vaccuum leak; the hose may be brittle or a connector could have a small crack. If you're running anything else that requires a vaccuum (ie. A/C - the dash vents are vaccuum controlled), it could be that the vaccuum pump can't keep up so the hubs drop back to the disengaged position.
  • mentalmadnesmentalmadnes Member Posts: 1
    how about converting a duly to 4 wheel insted of 6 also can i use one of the rear tires to replace a flat in the front and if i can do i need to take the other side off or put the flat in the rear and drive to a repair shop :sick: :sick:
  • dieselbluesdieselblues Member Posts: 2
    No, I haven't checked the vacuum lines for the shift on the fly actuators. I will check that.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    The spare tire of a dually can fit in all 6 positions. The wheel is simply turned around for the outside rear dual position.

You can change a dual-rear to a single-rear. There will be some minor bodywork necessary where the rear fender extension attaches to the pickup box sheetmetal, and you'll need to remove the hub extensions and clip the dually fender marker light wiring. Removing the hub extensions will also require getting normal offset wheels. Far easier than the other wauyy around.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • kjohns1kjohns1 Member Posts: 1
    I placed my truck into 4X4 low gear today when I pulled out a small ficus hedge. It will not come out of gear now. No vacuum leaks, Driving in reverse didn't work, fuses checked and OK. Any other suggestions before I have it towed to the Dealer? thanks
  • dsherrilldsherrill Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 250 4x4 powerstroke that the brake light is on and pedal is stiff and won't stop. Does this sound like master cylinder or something else ?? Thanks for any help
  • diffusiondiffusion Member Posts: 3
    I just took my 05 F-150 Super Crew 4x4 Lariat with 2,400 miles to the dealer on Friday because of a constant vibration between 50 and 65 mph that has existed since I purchased the truck new. Yes I should have noticed this when I test drove the truck, but who would have thought. I was told by the mechanic that the ring and pinion (whatever that is?) would need to be replaced and they would need my truck for 3 days to rebuild the rear-end. Maybe your truck has the same problem?
  • emorenoemoreno Member Posts: 4
    HI , I have a 250 diesel 6.0 lt 2004 , few days ago the motor have loss of power and after that a lot of black smoke , these happens from to times to times ,( today 4 times ), but is momentanealy , when I accelerated it , them begin to work ok , please If there is somebody that can help me is appreciate .
  • apapp4apapp4 Member Posts: 1
    MY TRUCK WAS DIAGNOSED WITH A BAD INJECTOR. PER SERVICE MANAGER, HE STATED THAT "THROUGH FURTHER DIAGNOSTICS, THE TECHNICIAN BLEW THE MOTOR". MORE THAN LIKELY FLOODED IT WITH GAS, ETC..
    I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM ENTITLED TO, IT SEEMS THEY ARE GIVING ME THE RUNNAROUND. THE THRUCK IS A 2003 SUPER CREW WITH 40K.
    THEY WANT TO REBUILD THE MOTOR, I AM FURIOUS AND WANT A NEW MOTOR INSTALLED.
    PLEASE ADVISE.
    THANKS.
  • mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    Sounds like a job for your dealership.
    I have a ford250 diesel 6.0 Lt , 2004 , from time to time the car made a little bad function , the motor lose the power , and the car smoke a lot ( black ) , I accelerated and it begins to work properly , I got this situation 4 times today , please If there are somebody that can help me , I appreciate .
    thanks .
  • birdsongbirdsong Member Posts: 1
    We have a 30 foot 1996 mini wini with a 460 and overdrive transmission. Even with the o/d off, it seems to downshift often on grades. Is there anything we could do to increase the power/performance of the 460 without a major investment?

Thanks.
  • mamawmamaw Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 F 250 Power Stroke Diesel that is having electrical problems. Yesterday I installed new cab lights when turning them on was no lights burning, disconnected the cab lights and now I have no dash lights or running lights. I have tested all the fuses under the hood and under the dash the 4 amp fuse under the dash is the only one that does not have power on it. I was told it may be the light switch changed it and still no lights. I am wondering if there may be a relay or in line fuse somewhere that controls the running lights and dash lights.
    I also need to know how to post questions in the F250 forum could not find anywhere to post or how to do it.
    Thanks,
    mamaw
  • pszczelarzpszczelarz Member Posts: 1
    I got the same vibration problem, I've taken the truck back to The Dealer to index the tires,balance,and alighment, nothing worked, I sugested tire change and Then i was told that they already had two trucks with the same problem, but told me
    Ford F150 has tire problem, or the other mechanic said that the Stering wheel is to sensitive to its new frame (absurd) I did not pay 40 000 for the truck with stering wheel vibration and I'm planing on getting an engeener to solve this
  • wiseguy2wiseguy2 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased an F-150 4x4 used. I noticed a vibration in the steering wheel. At first I wasn't concerned; I thought the knobby tires were causing the vibration. After several days I took it to a mechanic and he told me the rear end was completely shot, drive shaft bent, and rear rims also bent. I spent over $3,000 to get these things straightened out and now my vibration problem is solved. No more vibration problems. Try checking out these 3 items if you are experiencing the same vibration problems.
  • onurassonurass Member Posts: 1
    dont be so sure it was all that I have a 2004 and developed a vibration after 4 visits and my persistence it was noted that the fi50 slip differentials are having problems with the rotor sets being bad . they had to change the clutch plates twice 1 in 10 being bad the front rotors were changed and everything was fine till week ago and started braking shake probably bad rotor again after only 4000 miles going back in next week definitely getting rid of before warranty is up
  • runjimrunjim Member Posts: 4
    I'm fishing for ideas on very rough automatic shifting on a 1994 f150. I took it into the ford dealer and he did $1,500 worth of stuff, replaced most everything on either side of the driveshaft (u-joints, bearings, etc.). Didn't fix it.

The problem goes away and reappears. Ran fine for the first day out of the shop. Then for 3 or 4 days, I get a violent crash thud especially going into 2nd, and 3rd, and less noticeable in higher gears. Today I drove it to the dealer to show them, and it's shifting beatifully again.

When it's bad, you would think that someone has ran into the truck, and your neck snaps back!

Is there something that can "fall" into and out of proper alignment like that? :confuse:

Thanks for any ideas....
  • rbutlerrbutler Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 F-150 with the same problem (Virbations). In fact it is in shop now and the dealer I bought it from has taken it to another dealer to see if they might fix it. This is the 6th time it has been in for that. I have 4875 miles on it, and have been driveing it since Oct. 11, 2004. They change Tires, Drive Shaft, Virbation thing on the back of truck. I don't think they have it fixed this time, they have had it all week. It is really bad in the morning, like a flat on tire. The more you drive it the better it gets. The dealer has another one just like mine on lot they are going into Arbitration with it and I have talked to them too. I can't afford to give Ford $25000.00. I just want my truck fixed.
  • ranger67ranger67 Member Posts: 2
    I will not go 1 year trying to fix this problem like you have. I have had my 2005 Lariat at the dealership for repair 3 times and a total of 15 days since I picked it up 34 days ago. They have balanced the tires, scoped the engine, changed the drive shaft and installed shims. They were to call Ford engineering today. I told Ford customer service this morning that I wanted a new truck. They told me that I needed to give them 2 to 5 business days to respond to what the next step will be. I am getting really turned off about Ford products and Ford service!
  • ford_dudeford_dude Member Posts: 3
    I would talk to maybe the owner of the dealership or someone high up, beacuse you deserve a new motor no question about it. Raise some sort of hell thats all I can say!
  • ford_dudeford_dude Member Posts: 3
    The problem is with your ignition coils misfiring, I had the same problem a while back. The bad news is that mine cost $900 to fix. By the way get yourself some english or writing classes, Thanks.
  • mgarlandmgarland Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 F150 4 x 2 SuperCrew Lariat with 3400 miles. The transmission shifts hard and clunks "periodically" especially when it has warmed up. It is readily noticeable from a stop. Several times the truck would lurch forward as if it was a mismanaged manual clutch. There is also a noticeable problem, both accelerating and decelerating between 1500 to 2200 rpm. Again a hard clunk when up or down shifting. I know what the service bulletin says but this is not normal. Anyone have ideas or solutions. Of course the dealer cant duplicate.
  • anclasanclas Member Posts: 3
    The air from the blower on my 98 F150 changes from the panel vents to the defrost vent when the vehicle is under acceleration. Can't find any vacuum leaks. Has anyone had this experience and where I might go next to trouble-shoot?
  • gavin97gavin97 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get your A/C Problem figured out? I am having the same exact issue with my 04 F-150 4x4
    Any info would be appreciated...
  • flores1flores1 Member Posts: 1
    When I press the switch that is on the end of the shifter, it will not turn off the overdrive. Can it be because the switch is bad.
  • eolereoler Member Posts: 1
    I have also had problems with ALL 3 Ford F-150's bought in 2004. My personal truck is a F150 Supercrew 4x4 Lariat of which I do not tow or haul anything with has been in the shop for brakes 7 times. The FORD FACTORY REP JUST SAYS SORRY, WE ARE NOT REPLACING IT!!!
    Other problems I have had with this truck are:
    1. Rear axle grinding while in reverse on a cold start up.
    2. Brake wheel vibration. 7 times repaired. I only have 37,000 miles on this truck! IT IS A NIGHTMARE.
    3. Flat acceleration.
    4. Engine hesitation.
    5. AC issues.
    6. Unknown source of vibration while driving, not braking. Think it might be the drive train.
    7. Hard transmission shifts at random.

Has anyone either gotten their truck replaced by Ford via Lemon Law or a total fix on the brakes?
  • fordallthewayfordalltheway Member Posts: 1
    I have a major problem with my 98 F150. The truck wont start. I replaced the starter, the starter relay and the ignition switch. Still would not start. Started looking over the fuse panel and found the starter interrupt relay fuse keeps blowing. Sometimes after I replace the fuse she will start no problem. Then the fuse will blow again when I try to start it. I am at my wits end. Any ideas what the problem may be. Also when the starter was replaced so was the selonoid.
  • mghmgh Member Posts: 43
    No, no yet.
    I still think that it has to do with the lack of a fan motor for the A/C. Pepboy sells an aftermarket kit to install and I may try it. The dealer says that there is nothing wrong and we are just having a bad summer with hotter temperatures, they are full of ^^&*^&*.
    All this new car era that we old timers are experimenting is bad because we have very limited control of our cars, just like computers are restricted in big corporations by IT. Car manufacturers and insurance companies are working together not just to do safer vehicles but to control what we can do with them like having computers on board so they can limit the speed we can go etc. Now insurance companies are reading the black box (in board computer) so they can see if were going over the speed limit at the time of an accident so the can deny our claim, very good info if we use it right but Ford is limiting the engine full potential my 5.3 engine feels like a 6 cylinder. Good luck and pls post if you find the fix.
  • captainsmillycaptainsmilly Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    Well I see there are many of us in the same boat. My new 5/2005 F-150 Super Cab shaked violently between 60 to 70 MPH. I have had 4 service visits. They have replaced the tires three times, the rims, the rotors, installed the damper kit, screwed with the column (made it rattle and ball bearings fell out), and have still not got rid of it. The dealer wanted to swap out the truck but wanted addistional $1000 to do so. I test drove a direct replacement and it jerked violently from 40 MPH up to 70 MPH. I drove a second one and it jerked from 60 to 70 MPH. This model is making lemonade all over America. I have filed for the Lemon Law the dealers not only know of the problem but don't give a crap. Lemon Law it..... :lemon:
This discussion has been closed.