Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Lease Questions

Comments

• wednesdayweekwednesdayweek Member Posts: 6
    Probably should have added:

it is a 4wd; local tax is 7.5%; title about $75.
  • laristondolaristondo Member Posts: 12
    Which dealership in MA and who was the salesperson, please, CMW829? :surprise:
    Car-Man,

Toyota is offering from 8/1 to 8/31 two (2) incentives:

Financing 2.9% for 36 month and Leasing monthly payment at $389 for 36 month term, w/ $2000 due at signing for a 2006 Hybrid AWD (model 6964) with option FE (aka Package 1).

HOW DO THESE 2 INCENTIVE WORK? CAN I GET BOTH? :confuse:

Humbly lost and awaiting clarity, linda
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi laristondo. What I meant was that Toyota is not currently providing any CASH incentives on the 2006 Highlander Hybrid in your area. It is providing special financing and lease rates on this model in its New York region. Specifically there is 2.9% financing for up to 3 years, 3.9% for 4 years, and 4.9% for 5 years or a special lease money factor of .00075 on it in your area right now. The .00075 money factor is equivalent to an interest rate of around 1.8% on leases.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi Arun. You absolutely can pay the amount that you are upside down on your loan in the form of a down payment so that you start your new lease with a blank slate. The down payment that you make has no impact upon the money factor for the vehicle that you want to lease. I'd be happy to share my thoughts on this lease with you, however in order for me to do so I need you to provide me with its full MSRP and selling price.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi wednesdayweek. This particular discussion is really for community members who are considering leasing a Toyota Highlander. You should be able to get an idea of what sort of selling price to expect by visiting the following discussion: "Toyota Highlander: Prices Paid & Buying Experience".

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Car-Man,

Thank you for the info.

Ok, I understand now that Toyota is offering from 8/1 to 8/31 two (2) incentives: Financing 2.9% for 36 month and Leasing monthly payment at $389 for 36 month term, w/ $2000 due at signing for a 2006 Hybrid AWD (model 6964) with option FE (aka Package 1).

My main lease purpose is to keep my monthly payment as low as possible for 3 years and then buy the car.

What can expect the montly payment to cost on leasing being offered for a qualifying vehicle for a MSRP of $36,805, Invoice of $33,445, $2000 due at signing.

Can I get both incentives together?

Any hints on negoiating the terms of the lease would be extremely helpful! :D

Humbly lost and awaiting clarity, linda
  • 54325432 Member Posts: 4
    Car_man

I'm being offered the following deal in Minneapolis:

Highlander Hybrid AWD Limited
    MSRP: 40,094
    Selling Price: $36,939
    Money Down: 4,000 for a trade in
    Residual: 22,395
    Money Factor: 0.00075
    36 Month Lease, 12K miles
    Payment of $405.22 (I believe that tax is 7%)

I come up with lower numbers when using lease calculators. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks!
  • 54325432 Member Posts: 4
    I've spoken with the dealer more and have decided not to trade in my vehicle, so can you give me your thoughts on this lease:

Highlander Hybrid AWD Limited
    MSRP: 40,094
    Selling Price: 36,939
    Residual: 22,395
    Money Factor: .00075
    License and Fees: 467.75
    Doc fee: 50
    Taxes: 1,726.49
    Money Due at Signing: $0
    Payment: $520.54

Also, does anyone know who gets the tax incentive when you lease a hybrid? Is that something that we can claim?
  • joep0000joep0000 Member Posts: 11
    I think that you only get the income tax credit if you PURCHASE the vehicle. You do not get the tax credit if you lease the vehicle.

I got the info from the following link:
    http://www.hybridcars.com/tax-deductions-credits.html

It is under the heading 'basic rules' (third bullet):
    "If a qualifying vehicle is leased to a consumer, the leasing company may claim the credit."

There is also something about this on the IRS web-site (www.irs.gov). It says something similar, but the language is not clear.
  • joep0000joep0000 Member Posts: 11
    The following is from the IRS web-site:

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=157557,00.html

Even though a manufacturer has certified a vehicle, a taxpayer must meet the following requirements to qualify for the credit:

1. The vehicle must be placed in service after 12-31-05 and purchased on or before 12/31/10.

2. The original use of the vehicle must begin with the taxpayer claiming the credit.

a. The credit may only be claimed by the original owner of a new, qualifying, hybrid vehicle and does not apply to a used hybrid vehicle.

3. The vehicle must be acquired for use or lease by the taxpayer claiming the credit.

a. The credit is only available to the original purchaser of a qualifying hybrid vehicle. If a qualifying vehicle is leased to a consumer, the leasing company may claim the credit.

b. For qualifying vehicles used by a tax-exempt entity, the person who sold the qualifying vehicle to the person or entity using the vehicle is eligible to claim the credit, but only if the seller clearly discloses in a document to the tax-exempt entity the amount of credit.
  • mjrx2mjrx2 Member Posts: 1
    A dealer in Peekskill, New York offered me a lease deal on a Highlander Hybrid Limited AWD. $435/mos., $0 down, 36 months, 36,000 miles. Sounds like a good deal. Am I right?
  • rhs63rhs63 Member Posts: 5
    I've been lurking in this forum for a while and got some invaluable information about the Highlander and buying strategies.

So, yesterday I signed a lease for a Highlander at Westchester Toyota, New York, and just want to verify if this is a decent deal:

V6, AWD, 3rd row, Leather package, Appearance package, Preferred package, Moonroof, Safety package, Fog lights, JBL stereo and a few other things. MSRP was around $35,000.
    Leasing rate is $399 / month, with $0 down for 36 months, 12,000 miles/year.

I looked again at Toyota web site and saw there is $1,250 cash back available. I'm a bit unclear if I'm entitled to, it wasn't mentioned when I spoke to the sales guy (Note: My vehicle is on order as they didn't have the color combination I wanted, so the final paperwork signing with the finance guy is still to come).

I would appreciate your feedback.
  • needinfonowneedinfonow Member Posts: 1
    Car_man

I'm being offered the following deal in SE Pennsylvania:

Highlander Hybrid 2WD
    MSRP: 37,000
    Selling Price: $32,956
    Money Down: $800
    Residual: ?
    Money Factor: 0.0008
    Payment of $475

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks!
  • brentpbrentp Member Posts: 7
    I just went through all this myself too, . . .

The current lease deal being offered on the Highlander is a subsidized lease by Toyota Financial Services. It is basically a 0.0% lease similar to a 0% loan. If you were to take the loan, . . . you would not get the rebate, . . . so it is the same for the lease (provided the loan/lease deals goes through TFS). If you read the offer, . . . I believe it says ". . . rebate, . . . or 0% loan, . . . or lease".

As for the lease, . . . you should see a 'money factor' that is very low (I got 0.00001 in MA) in the disclosure. This would indicate that it is the special TFS lease for the HL (basically 0.024% on the lease money in my case). If you have a much higher money factor, . . . then you should dig much deeper. If they used a 3rd party lease provider, . . . then the rebate would apply just like if you bought the car and used a 3rd party financial institution for the loan (like a credit union).
    I didn't realize this site had a separate lease section so I posted my recent lease details in the 'prices paid' section. Anyway, here is a link for those that are researching details.

Lease Details
  • djkcpadjkcpa Member Posts: 4
    Car_Man

If you lease through TFS a HL from a dealer, does this count as a "sale" of the vehicle and do the dealers get the holdback and any other incentives as if it was a "purchase".

I ask because if this is the case, then the base cap cost of the vehicle should be what the dealership is willing to "sell" the vehicle for. Thus, if a dealer lists a sales price for the HL (not including rebate) on the internet, this should be the cap cost.

Am I correct or is there something else going on in the background?

Thanks for your help :)
  • slingshot80slingshot80 Member Posts: 55
    Brentp, I printed out your email and went to my local MA Toyota Dealer who will remain nameless at this time. They said they could give the same the deal you had. Also they said they had a similar deal on the 4 runner. (Would be interested except for the much worse gas mileage.) The options I wanted would have equaled a MSRP of $30,000 with the destination charge. Prepaid excess mileage is 10 cents which I think is very reasonable.

However, when I told them what options I wanted such as leather they said I could only get it on the Limited which are running about $37,000. Then I test drove one that listed for $32,000 (with a sunroom and the third seat which I don't want) and I thought the pick-up was weak and there was significant noise from under the vehicle, sounded like the transmission was struggling or the engine was rough. This was a 6 cylinder with 187 miles on it. Can't imagine driving a four cylinder.

It was pouring out and they said that was the reason for the noise so I may go back on a sunny day and drive another one. Any comments anyone? I will post this on some of the other Forums here also. :confuse:
  • ejdagoejdago Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody know for sure if this special lease money factor (interest rate) applies to all highlanders or does it only apply to the ones specified (hybrid or 4cl 4x4)? I'm looking for a limited, but before I got to the dealership for a lease, I want to make sure I have all my facts straight.

Thanks in advance!
    On Toyota.com you can type in your zip under 'Local Specials'. For New England, they list the Hybrids and non-Hybrids as separate deals, but both list special lease option. However, they list different finance terms (loan) for those 2 deals. Given that - hybrids and non-hybrids will likely have different money factors for a lease. For the non-hybrid deal (where the 0.00001 MF is in New England), they list it is valid for the 4-cyl, 6-cyl, FWD & AWD models, . . . basically all non-hybrid models.

I would call a dealer and ask what the lease Money Factor is for what you are interested. They should tell you, . . . in my area, it was the same at all the dealers (subsidized lease program direct from Toyota Finanical Services). Price (base capitalized cost), however, was very different and you will still need to negotiate that.

Good luck!
  • caster1caster1 Member Posts: 2
    I went out car shopping this weekend (Labor Day) and found a 2006 HYBRID Toyota Highlander Limited w/Leather at Hamer Toyota in Mission Hills, CA that they were going to lease to me for 3 years, 15k miles per year, $3000.00 down and a monthly payment of $469.00 per month
    which included tax & licensing. Is there a better leasing deal than
    that out there? Is it possible to get a navigation system included
    for that price or even less? If you have any thoughts about this
    please respond to this post. Thank you.image
  • beans6beans6 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to lease a 4x4 highlander in NY for no more than $300.00 a month. I prefer to lease for 36 months, but would lease for 48 months if I could get the deal I want. I can only put down $1000.00. I have excellent credit. Is this something that seems even possible? I went to dealership near me and was quoted around $470.00 a month. That seems crazy to me. I feel like I should be leasing a mercedes for that price. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Desperate for a highlander
  • billmvbillmv Member Posts: 148
    How did you arrive at $300 per month max?
  • brenjcbrenjc Member Posts: 2
    Hi, new to site..but need major help..I want to lease a toyota Highlander hybrid limited model...what should I be looking for in terms and price...I would like to go into the dealer some idea....I haven't leased in many years...MF???...I am in the new england area...
  • izzydogizzydog Member Posts: 9
    Anyone have an idea of residual values on 36 month/12k miles on 06 limited highlander (no nav or dvd)? Money factor?
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    Hello Carman,

Trying to help my father-in-law with a lease ('06 leftover).

Here is what I know: $32,960 MSRP, $27,130 Selling Price

The dealer told him the payemnt will be around $350/mo for 36 months, 12000 miles, & $0 down. Nothing in writing.

What is the residual & money factor for this car? How can I find out so that he can use a lease calculator.
  • automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    Can anyone tell me the latest residual and available money factor for the Highlander hybrid for 36 months?

Thanks!
    Hi djkcpa. A lease of a Toyota Highlander counts as a sale for dealers, just as if you had financed or leased one. You should be able to negotiate the same selling price for a Highlander that you want to lease as you would be able to negotiate on one that you were paying cash for or financing, with one exception. This exception is that Toyota's customer cash incentives are not compatible with its special lease program.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hello ejdago. Toyota's special lease money factor on the 2007 Highlander often varies by region, but in all of the areas that I have seen its lease program for this month its buy rate special lease money factor for this truck is .00175 for all models, regular and hybrid.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Welcome brenjc. Toyota Financial Services' special lease money factor in your area, its Boston region, for the 2007 Highlander Hybrid is .00175 for consumers who qualify for its Tier 1+ credit tier. You should be able to get an idea of how much you should pay for this truck right now by visiting the following discussion: "Toyota Highlander: Prices Paid & Buying Experience". Let me know if you have any other questions.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi izzydog. Toyota is no longer providing lease support on the 2006 Highlander. It does have a special lease program on the 2007 model though. If you really want to lease, you probably will be better off leasing an '07. Toyota Financial Services' money factors vary by region, but in most areas its special buy rate lease money factor for the '07 Highlander is .00175. TFS' 36 month, 12,000 mile per year residual value for the 2007 Highlander Limited 4WD is 58%. this is only the residual value for a base model though. TFS places restrictions on what options can be residualized and caps on the values of the ones that it does allow. This makes calculating lease payments on leases through TFS very difficult unless you are a dealer. Dealers are given lists of the actual dollar residual values for the vehicles that they have in inventory.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hello blackexv6. Toyota's lease program varies depending upon which one of its twelve regions one is in. As long as you are not in Toyota's Southeast region, and I don't believe that you are, Toyota Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a base 2007 Toyota Highlander 4WD with 12,000 miles per year are .00175 and 60%, respectively. Normally, one could plug a bank's money factor and residual value into a lease calculator, along with a vehicle's MSRP and selling price, and figure out what its monthly payment should be. Unfortunately, it is not that easy to calculate leases through TFS. It places restrictions upon which options can be residualized and caps on the prices of ones that it allows. Calculating the residual values of Toyota models is so complicated that TFS actually provides dealers with a list of the dollar residual values for vehicles that they have in inventory. So these are the numbers, but they won't help you much in your calculations.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Greetings automophile. Toyota's lease program varies depending upon which one of Toyota's twelve regions one is in. Having said this, the 2007 Highlander Hybrid's lease program seems to be fairly consistent outside of the Southeast region right now. As long as you aren't in the Southeastern U.S., this is what this truck's lease program should look like. Toyota Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a base 2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4WD (not the Limited model) with 15,000 miles peer year are .00175 and 57%, respectively. Unfortunately, TFS calculates vehicles' residual values differently than other banks do, making it difficult to estimate what their monthly payments are. The residual value percentages that it publishes are for "base" models without any options. It places restrictions upon which options can be residualized and caps on the ones that it allows. Calculating the actual residual values for Toyota vehicles is so complicated that TFS actually provides dealers with a list of the actual dollar residual values for every vehicle that they have in inventory rather than having them calculate residuals themselves. So those are the numbers, but unfortunately, they won't help you estimate what this truck's payment should be.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • mehrishismehrishis Member Posts: 13
    does any body can tell me what is the best price to lease toyota highlander? I live in long island NY.
    Hi mehrishis. When you ask what the best price is for this truck in your area, I suspect that you are talking about its monthly payment. This truck's lease payment will vary depending upon what trim level you get, how long you lease it for, what mileage allowance you need, and how low a price you are able to negotiate on it. In its New York region right now, Toyota is advertising a lease payment of $289 per month for 36 months with $1,999 due at lease signing for an '07 Highlander 4WD with 12,000 miles per year. If you are interested in a similar truck, there is a good chance that you will be able to negotiate a lower selling price than the one that this lease is based upon. If so you will be able to beat this payment by a few dollars per month.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • tmodestotmodesto Member Posts: 4
    Hi Carman:

I want to lease a basic Highlander, I just wonder what is current TFS leas programs (36 m/12K/year/ California) and if I should wait 2-3 months till new models coming and price of '07 going down?

Thanks,
    Tom
    Hi Tom. Toyota Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a base 2007 Toyota Highlander 2WD with 12,000 miles per year in Southern California are .00175 and 54%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its Tier 1+ credit tier. Unfortunately it is difficult to use TFS' lease program to estimate vehicles' monthly payments because the residual values that it publishes are for base vehicles. It places restrictions upon which options can be residualized.

I personally don't think that you have much to gain by waiting a month or two to lease your Highlander. Toyota's special lease program on it hasn't changed in a while and I do not personally anticipate it being enhanced in the next month or two. Plus in a competitive market like California one can probably get an '07 Highlander for pretty close to dealer invoice already. As a disclaimer, it is difficult to predict exactly what manufacturers will do with their future incentive programs with 100% accuracy ;).

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • derkombiwagenderkombiwagen Member Posts: 13
    Greetings:

I recently entertained the idea of purchasing a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid (can't beat those mpgs!) but realized between carrying around all my work gear, the trips to Costco and the weekend camping trips for Scouting that the 10 cu. ft of trunk space wouldn't do it! I would like to lease the 2007 THH Limited w/3rd including leather, navigation, moonroof for 24-36 months since the new THH version is due Fall 2007 (I'll let them work out the bugs!). What I would like to know is how is Toyota Financial Services for a leasing company (I've only dealt with BMWFS) and should I immediately disclose that I'll be leasing or should I negotiate for the lowest price first and then tell them I'll be leasing? I know that the invoice w/options is $33,835 and the MSRP is $37,795. I also know that these prices include a 3% markup due to Holdback (2%) and Wholesale financial reserve (1%). My taxable rate is 6.75% Kendall County (IL) Would it be in my best interest to lease with the intent of turning it in for the newer model or to purchase and hopefully trade-in or sell in 2-3 yrs. My credit score is excellent and my financing options are 4.5-5.6% APR. I see that I could also be eligible for 1.9% or $1500 rebate cash to customer. Have you heard of James Bragg and fightingchance.com ? :surprise: Can you give me a breakdown of the lease (money factor, etc.). Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to your reply.
    :surprise:
    Greetings Natl. Toyota Financial Services is a good bank to lease through. I haven't seen any consumers complain about working with them. The only problem with TFS is the way that it calculates vehicles' lease payments. It is difficult to estimate how much a vehicle should cost to lease through TFS because the residual value percentages that it publishes are for base vehicles. It places restrictions upon which options can be residualized. The way that it calculates vehicles' residual values is so confusing that it provides dealers with actual dollar residual values for every vehicle that they have in stock.

There's nothing wrong with telling the dealer that you are working with that you want to lease your new Highlander, jut make sure that you negotiate the lowest possible selling price on it rather than letting the dealer try to get you to focus on just the payment.

Toyota Financial Services' lease program varies by region. I have not seen its specific program for its Chicago region recently, but in most areas its buy rate lease money factor for the 2007 Highlander Hybrid is .00175 for consumers who qualify for its "Tier 1+" credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • thepassengerthepassenger Member Posts: 10
    Hello Car_Man

Could you please provide current lease programs in New England for Limited 4WD, loaded including navigation. MSRP is 42k and change. 48 month lease, 12k/year (my father in law insists on 48 month lease even though I have advised him against a lease that long). Dealer quoted $34,500 for purchase but the lease payments they are quoting are rediculous; $500-$600/month. Are residuals for 48 months that low?

Thanks a million.
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    I recently shopped for a 07 HL at my local dealer. Drove one and discussed financing with the salesman. There supposedly was a lease special on 07 HL for 299/m thru the week. I went back on friday and signed the papers and left a deposit. I had a delvery date of this Monday, 6/11 all set up.

On Saturday my salesman calls me up and says the GM of the dealer caught my sale and says I can't have the HL for the agreed on deal. He says the lease rates changed and I need to agree with $20/m more. Needless to say I'm upset. I have never had a dealer once a signed agreemnent was made back out of a deal.

I expressed my disgust and the salesman said he would look into it again and call me back. I never heard back from him again.

any comments on this out there?
  • bayoutxbayoutx Member Posts: 4
    07 Highland

Green

Packages:
    EJ, FE, NE, PE, RL, VP, CF and two after factory add-ons that listed for a total of $715 on the sticker.

MSRP 29909
    Invoice 27043

Price 27500 Buy or Lease

Lease Terms:

Money Factor .00185
    Residual: 49% ( I found out the Highland has the lowest residual of all Toyota's SUV Line. I was hoping for at least 55%).
    No Cap. Cost Reduction

Lease Monthly Cost: $434.86

Did not take offer. Felt I could have gotten a Pilot with more features (leather and such) for a better price. I was looking for a great deal on the last 07 Highlander on the lot, 31st of the month, end of model year and a very wet day in Louisiana.

Might kick myself in the morning. I was really surprise at the 49% residual factor.
  • bayoutxbayoutx Member Posts: 4
    Reply to myself.

Aug 1. Looked at another Highlander minus the sunroof and upgraded CD player.

Residual dropped to 47.5%.

Went with the Honda Pilot.
  • bodidbodid Member Posts: 88
    08' Highlander in both Limited and Sport editions out of NY.

36 mo. / 15K miles

Thanks,
    Bo.
  • bodidbodid Member Posts: 88
    Anyone getting money factors and residuals for Highlander Limited 4x4 for 36/15K? I got a mf of .00245 and 50% residuals as of today from an NJ dealer. I got a decent deal on a 08' Highlander limited 4x4. MSRP 42,319. Sell price of 38,500. I think I can get it down to 38K without too much trouble.

Bo.
  • ratbastidratbastid Member Posts: 3
    I'm in Greensboro NC, about 20 minutes from the VA border. I understand that NC is in Southeast Toyota territory. Will I be better off leasing from a dealership just over the border (say, Danville) than one of my local guys? What's a lease on a $33-$34k Highlander going for these days, on a monthly basis?
  • acacia379acacia379 Member Posts: 4
    Just starting the process...any help would be appreciated. Looking at a 15,000 36 month lease. Two dealers close to home but I dont mind a 50+ mile range to shop.

No NAV or Entertainment package....where should I be with a value on this vehicle? Silver Metallic...also what MF and residual should I use.

Thanks,
  • jim53jim53 Member Posts: 118
    what is the money factory and residual % for a 2008 Highlander Sport assuming 12K miles per year for both a 36 (or 39 month if available) and 60 month lease.
    Hey Bo. Toyota is not providing lease support on the new 2008 Highlander. That means if you want to lease one through Toyota Financial Services, you will have to use its standard lease program. I haven't seen its standard money factor for your area lately, but I suspect that its buy rate for Tier 1+ customers is probably around .00275.

TFS' current buy 36 month, 15,000 mile per year residual value for the 2008 Highlander Limited or Sport 4WD is 58%. Keep in mind though that unlike most banks, Toyota only publishes residual values for base vehicles. It places restrictions upon what options can be residualized. This makes calculating actual dollar residual values for Toyota models difficult, so much so that it provides its dealers with actual dollar residual values for the vehicles that they have in stock rather than having them use the residual percentages to calculate them.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hi ratbastid. I am not a big fan of Southeast Toyota. They tend to add unnecessary packages to vehicles to pad their prices. I personally would rather purchase from a dealer outside the Southeast region if possible, however I do not know if you are allowed to do so. Most dealers use the state of residency as the basis to determine the regional incentives that consumers qualify for. Toyota is a little different in that SE Toyota is an independent distributor so you might be able to get away with purchasing out of your region. Unfortunately, I don't know how this works. Try e-mailing a dealer or two outside of your area and ask them how it works. I'd love to know what you find out if you wouldn't mind stopping back and sharing with us.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
This discussion has been closed.