Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Volkswagen GTI Lease Questions

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hey walid_gti. Nice taste in cars. I've always loved the GTI. You never mentioned the selling price of the car that you leased in your post. This is a very important number. It makes it much easier to evaluate how good a deal you got. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. Without this number, it is difficult to tell how large a dealer discount you were given. Let us know what this car's selling price was and I'm sure that either myself or another knowledgeable community member will gladly give you their opinion on your deal.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • bds231bds231 Member Posts: 6
    Hey Car_man:

What are the June money factor and residual for a 4dr GTI for a 36 month/ 10,000 miles per year lease?

Thanks!!
  • perunestperunest Member Posts: 42
    One more consideration if you live in a state that computes its tax like Massachusetts. When you buy a car you pay a sales tax up front. When you lease a car you pay a monthly prorated tax on the depreciation alone.
    Here's an example.
    $25,000 sale price at 5% sales tax = $1,250.
    Lease tax for the same vehicle, assuming a residual value of $15,000, would be
    5% of $25,000 minus $15,000 or 5% of $10,000. That's $500 instead of $1,250!

You would not pay that up front. It would be paid in monthly increments.
    For a 36 month lease you would pay 1/36 of $500 or $13.89 per month.

So, would you rather write a check for $1,250 or have $13.89 added to your monthly payment?
  • delta737hdelta737h Member Posts: 626
    edited June 2010
    perunest,

You're real close. Actually, Mass levies tax on the payment streams which means tax is assessed on both the monthly book depreciation as well as the monthly finance charge. To wit...

MassTax

which, in part, states...

"Each period for which a motor vehicle lease or rental payment is charged is considered a completed retail sale for the purpose of imposition, collection, and payment of sales tax. The sales price on which the tax is computed for each period is the total lease or rental charges for that period..."

So, if the monthly taxable (base) payment is $300, then your monthly lease payment, including tax, is...

$300 x 1.05 = $315 assuming a sales tax rate of 5%.

John
    Hi folks,

I just picked up my GTI after ogling this car for years, and I wanted to share my experience to hopefully help out other folks.

I shopped entirely online, sending a request for quote out to 19 dealerships in my area (I live in LA), and then going back and forth with the three or four that offered the best price. Here were the specifics we settled on:

2010 4-door GTI, DSG and Bluetooth, Carbon Steel Metallic
    36-month, 10,000-mile lease

MSRP: $26,119
    Selling price: $24,338 (Edmunds TMV is $24,415)

Drive-off: $1,399 (includes first month, $625 acquisition fee, and DMV/state fees)
    Monthly: $339 including tax (this uses the correct MF and residual of 0.00064 and 54%, respectively. And LA county sales tax is a lofty 9.75%, btw)

For anyone in LA, I went to Livingston Volkswagen in Woodland hills, and I have no complaints - quick service and no surprises. They have very poor reviews on Yelp... not sure why, but I had a very good experience.

This is the third car I've bought entirely by email in 3 years (BMW Z4, Honda Fit, and now this), so I have a couple of observations I thought I'd share:

1) Every dealer will tell you there are very few examples of your chosen model in the region. This is almost always untrue. By quick Google search, I discovered there were 71 GTIs in LA, plus many more in surrounding cities.

2) Once they get beat on price, every dealer will tell you that all the other dealers you're talking to are lying SOBs that will change their stories and fleece you as soon as you walk into the dealership. I've simply never had this happen -- put everything in black and white on email and there's very little to be surprised about.

3) The internet department's prices are amazingly low compared to the prices you can get by walking in the front door. My lease payment is ~$40 per month lower than the best I got by walking into a few dealerships.

Car is great by the way. It's head and shoulders above my BMW in terms of interior niceness and how it drives. But, to go on a mini-rant, I think this obsession with soft-touch plastic dashboards is getting ridiculous - I would gladly have hard plastic on top of the dash (which I NEVER touch), and save a few hundred bucks on the purchase price.
  • benzserviceguybenzserviceguy Member Posts: 96
    Hey all:

Here is the deal I just got for my brother in law:

2010 2 door GTI with DSG tranz in United Grey Metalic
    18" Detroit rims with summer tires
    Sunroof
    GTI mat kit
    Bluetooth

MSRP: $27,629.00
    Cap Cost: $25,813.00 = $349 BELOW Invoice
    Factory Invoice (according to True Car: $26,162.00)

Leased for 36 months with 15K year.
    MF was .00185 (My BIL is credit challenged) = 4.44% Interest

Put 2K down which broke down as follows:
    Acq fee: $625
    Doc fee: $55.00
    Tire fee: $9.00
    Registration fee: $388
    1st payment: $432.00
    Cap cost reduction: $450.00

Mo payment with Cali (LA county taxes) = $431.60

Got it from LIVINGSTON VW in Woodland Hills, CA from the Internet dept. Very professional and very easy to deal with. Highly recommended

And just like bds231 said:

The dealers will tell you limited supply, no one wants to trade, that price is not feasable, etc etc etc
    IT'S ALL CRAP!!

Do your research, walk in with a price you are willing to pay. Either they accept the deal or you walk and go to the next store!

Good luck all and happy driving!!
  • walid_gtiwalid_gti Member Posts: 3
    Hey Car_man,

Thank you for you help! The agreed upon value before tax etc. is $21,825 and gross cap cost is $23,496 since I did not pay anything at signing. Hope this helps!
  • dead_eddead_ed Member Posts: 1
    Wow, this is exactly what I'm wanting to do right now. I've debated using CarsDirect or LeaseCompare just to do everything online (I have zero zero zero free time.) I also want a 4-Door DSG with most everything (leather optional) but haven't scraped the SF Bay area dealerships for actual real-world stock on hand. I know the 2011's are coming after August or later and I just really can't wait that long (I'm living on a motorcycle now as I just sold my Lotus.) Sounds like you know what you're doing, bds231 and thank for the story!
  • davidk8davidk8 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    Car_man,

Do you have the July rates? Money factors and residuals for a 4dr DSG?

I am looking at a 4dr DSG with a MSRP of $29,245. The negotiated price is $25,553.

10,000miles
    36 months.

Quoted payment monthly of $320.30
    Down $2,322.77

I feel the payment is a bit high with the current programs and money factors. Can you provide some assistance.

David
  • mr3278mr3278 Member Posts: 1
    Here's the deal I've been quoted:

2010 2-door 6M
    Carbon Steel Metallic
    Sunroof
    Bi-xenon headlights
    Bluetooth

$24,023 negotiated price - almost $300 BELOW invoice

36 month lease, 12k/year
    804.23 down including TTL, 377.42 monthly payment including tax
    0.00022 MF, 51% residual

I got this from the Fleet Manager after a week and half of emailing every dealership in my area. This is the first time I got a quote for this car below invoice. Does VW have a hidden incentive on the GTI's for July? Or am I getting okie doked into going down to the dealership this saturday?
  • perunestperunest Member Posts: 42
    John, You are correct of course. I was trying to make a point about not having to cut a big tax check up front. Most people don't consider this. I've purchased 34 cars in my life, mostly new, and I've leased only one. Even though I rarely keep a car more than two years I have a psychological need to own. The one BMW I leased resulted in my having to give up my legacy single rear Massachusetts license plate for the dual plates assigned to the rental company. Now I have undesired front plates on all three of my cars.
    I'm on this forum because I test drove two GTIs and am toying with the idea of replacing my 2006 Mazda 3 (purchased last September) for a GTI. I have a 2008 Acura MDX and a 2006 BMW M Roadster, both purchased new, so the Mazda was to be a winter knock about car. I made the mistake of trying the GTI and getting hooked. I will probably wait for a 2011 and the improved fully functional Bluetooth.
  • book_jbook_j Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

Here's another request for July money factor and residual rates for a 12k/36m 4dr lease.

I think I'm getting some too-high numbers in the SF Bay area.

Thanks!
    Here you go, bds231.

VW Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 GTI 4 door with 10,000 miles per year are .00045 and 53%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    You're welcome walid_gti. OK, so you're interested in leasing a 2010 Volkswagen GTI that has an MSRP of $24,639 and a selling price of $21,825. This car probably has a gap of around $1,500 between its full MSRP and its dealer invoice price. The $2,800 dealer discount that you were quoted is surprisingly large...and a very good deal.

The money factor that you mentioned is slightly higher than the .00041 that VW Credit was running on this car last month, but even so this is a very attractive deal.

Car_man
    Host
    I certainly do, David. Here's the information that you're looking for.

Volkswagen Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 GTI 4dr with 10,000 miles per year are .00064 and 54%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi book_j. Volkswagen Credit's July buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 GTI 4-Dr with 12,000 miles per year are .00064 and 53%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • wongkoonwaiwongkoonwai Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I am looking to buy/lease a 2010/2011 GTI.

2010 2 door GTI with DSG in Candy White
    18" Detroit rims with all season
    Sunroof
    GTI mat kit
    Bluetooth (I thought this is standard)
    I was quoted with a MSRP $27,498 and sale price $25,538 plus tax & license. I think this is basically at invoice. This is without any negotiation.
    Since this is a 2010, how much better can I do to make this a great deal? $1000 more off?

I am thinking about leasing it too. What is the MF and residual for a 3 year 12K mile lease for a 2 door 2010 GTI? How about for 2011?

Thanks a lot in advance!
  • joeauto2010joeauto2010 Member Posts: 11
    Hi, I'm looking to lease a 2010 VW Golf 2 door HB Automatic. 36 months/36k lease. $19,086 MSPR.

Can anyone provide the Money Factor and Residual for this car? Thanks.
    Hi wongkoonwai.

Volkswagen Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 GTI 2 Door with 12,000 miles per year are .00022 and 51%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a base 2011 GTI are .00148 and 58%.

Car_man
    Host
    I'd be happy to help you out, joeauto2010.

Volkswagen Credit's August buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Golf 2 Door with 12,000 miles per year are .00042 and 51%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

When negotiating your deal on the Golf that you're interested in, make sure to take the $500 cash incentive that is currently available on leases of it into account.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi Car_man,

Thanks for the info.
    Do you know the September buy rate lease money factor and residual for a 36 month lease of a 2011 GTI 2 door with 12,000 miles per year? How about 4 door?

Are the money factor and residual still the same at 0.00022 and 51% for a 2010 GTI 2 door (12k miles/year)?

Thanks!
    No problem, wongkoonwai.

Volkswagen Credit's September buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 GTI 2-Door with 12,000 miles per year are .00023 and 50%, respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '11 GTI 4-Door are .00046 and 49%.

Car_man
    Host
  • pkelly944pkelly944 Member Posts: 16
    I was hoping to get some help. I currently have a 2007 Jetta that I will be turning in the lease and looking at the 2011 GTI 2dr w/ Sunroof.. I am talking numbers this Friday with my guy and hoping to come in knowing what the GTIs are going for.

The one I test drove was MSRP $26,210 I believe. VW national "sale" is showing for the base:

MSRP: 24,460
    Residual: 14,546
    downpay: 2,299
    and payment of 279/month

So the residual is looking more than 50% according to their sale. What do you think would be an accurate price for the 26,210 msrp if I am using the previously mentioned .00023 MF for September 2010?

I would rather put no money down and just have the higher payment. I feel if i can get under 350/month (including taxes) with nothing down on a 36/12k lease. It would be a good deal. Any thoughts? (in NY)
    2015 C300 4MATIC
    2013 Optima SX
  • pkelly944pkelly944 Member Posts: 16
    Was at VW yesterday, for a 2011 GTI w/ Sunroof MF was .00129 and a residual of 57%.. more like the August number you previously mentioned that the .00023/50% number
    2015 C300 4MATIC
    2013 Optima SX
  • rfeizrfeiz Member Posts: 2
    Hello, this is my first post!
    Went to VW dealership here in Southern CA yesterday who had the 4 door GTI autobahn package with stick, the exact recipe I want sticker $30,075 discounted to 29500.
    3 year 10K lease 2K drive off. After much back and forth and explaining how GTI is a limited /special car blah, blah, blah, and VW doesn't offer any incentives, offered car at $480 month including taxes. Seems way off to me?? Not so much interested in residual value ( it was around 16K ) because I dont keep my cars after the lease. I like the car but doesn't seem to a good value. I said no thanks, but still interested in the car.
    Can you please advise. Thank you.
    First of all, the guy's snowing you. There are absolutely incentives on the GTI, right here for example: GTI incentives
    When I bought mine a few months ago (also in SoCal), many dealerships had a ton of GTIs and couldn't get rid of them all. I would recommend shopping around aggressively via email -- you can go to edmunds.com or a dozen other websites and send emails to 5 dealers at once with a request for quote.

Regarding the monthly, that does seem high, but we need to know the money factor (interest rate) and residual percentage (or exact residual value) to say for sure. The residual is actually extremely important to you because, as a lessor, you are basically paying the difference between the selling price and the residual (plus a finance charge). VW typically sets benchmark values for the money factor and residual; you just have to make sure your dealership is using the benchmark values, and then negotiate the lowest possible selling price for the car. Car_man can tell you what their benchmark values are right now (they change monthly).
  • rfeizrfeiz Member Posts: 2
    Thanks so much for your post. Hopefully car_man will chime in with some info.
    Hi Car_man,

I am still in the market for a GTI, it looks like I have to look for a 2011 now but it's strange that I don't see that many 2011 on the dealers' lots.

Anyway, do you know the October buy rate lease money factor and residual for a 36 month lease of a 2011 GTI 2 door with 12,000 miles per year?
    How about 4 door?

Thanks!
    Welcome rfeiz. As bds mentioned, Volkswagen definitely provides incentives on the GTI. You can finance a 2011 GTI through Volkswagen Credit right now at 2.9% for up to 5 years.

It's also running a special 36- month lease money factor of .00122 on this car right now. That's equivalent to an interest rate of just under 3%.

Having said that, this car doesn't exactly have huge dealer margins. The model that you described probably has a spread of around $1,100 between its full MSRP and its dealer invoice price. That puts the selling price that you were quoted at around $500 over invoice, which is pretty good.

Let's use VW Credit's current lease program to work up a payment on this car and see what we come up with. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2011 GTI Autobahn that has an MSRP of $30,075 and a selling price of $29,500 through VW Credit right now for 36 months with 10,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment would be around $417.

This is before tax, but still it's quite a bit lower than the $480 that you were quoted. If I was interested in this car, I would want to know why. Make sure that the dealer is using the money factor that I mentioned earlier to calculate your payment.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi wongkoonwai. Here's the information that you're looking for. Volkswagen Credit's October buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a base 2011 GTI 2-Door with 12,000 miles per year are .00122 and 58%, respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a 2011 GTI 4-Door are exactly the same.

Car_man
    Host
  • zigster38zigster38 Member Posts: 117
    Hi Car Man,

Do you know the FICO score required for the VW GTI Tier One Lease? Is it 720? 700?

Thanks.
    Hi zigster38. Volkswagen Credit's top credit tier is called its "A" tier. That's a good question about what credit score is needed to qualify for it. You're in the right neighborhood with your 700 to 720, but I don't know the exact cutoff.

Car_man
    Host
  • mweasmweas Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know what lease deals or other incentives may be coming up in November on the GTI? (in the US, NY)

thanks,
    Matt
  • taltektaltek Member Posts: 4
    Hi,
    Looking for the MF and Residual nums for a 2011, 4dr, 6spd manual w/sunroof.
    36month, 15k miles. (NJ)

Was quoted .00122 and 54% in Oct. Are (were) these correct and have they changed for Nov?

Thanks in advance.
  • zigster38zigster38 Member Posts: 117
    By the way, to qualify for the "A Tier" national lease deal, your FICO must be 740.
    Hi taltek. According to the latest information that I have seen, Volkswagen Credit's November buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 GTI 4dr with sunroof and 15,000 miles per year are .00135 and 54%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Oh, by the way Volkswagen is running its "Sign Then Drive" sales event this month. That means that it will waive your first month's payment if you decide to lease a GTI.

Car_man
    Host
  • vovakvovak Member Posts: 1
    Could you please post Money Factor and Residual for 2011 GTI 4door Manual wi/Sunroof. 48mo lease with 12k mi per year.

Thank you!
    Hi vovak. Volkswagen Credit's November buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 48 month lease of a 2011 GTI 4-Door with Sunroof and 12,000 miles per year are .00193 and 49%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • chikochiko Member Posts: 25
    Hey Car_man,
    Can you please give me the Lease Rate and Residual Value for a 2011 GTI, 4-door, DSG, Autobahn package, 36 months, 15K/year?

Thanks in advance.
    Hey chiko. VW Credit's November buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 GTI 4-door Autobahn with 15,000 miles per year are .00135 and 51%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

Don't forget that Volkswagen is waiving the first month's payment on leases this month.

Car_man
    Host
  • topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    So I've been a premium car driver for quite some time. BMW, Lexus, Infiniti.
    On a whim I took a test drive in a GTI and was smitten. I was smiling for an hour after. Loved the sound, handling, red stitching, steering wheel. I don't love the looks but I do think it's kind of cool in a sort of counter culture way. Hearkens back to a simpler time when things weren't so complex, to my way of thinking. Anyway, some things I'm trying to sort out; It certainly isn't a premium car in terms of amenities and the doors and hatch felt a bit light to me. I felt I was driving an econo hatch but with stellar driving traits. I'm sure I could deal with that if it wasn't for the price. Let me explain. As a leasing customer, I 'm having a hard time justifying a payment of about 550 for the autobahn package or mid 4's for the sunroof (and no HIDs!). When I compare, I can get a 37x coupe with all bells and whistles for under 500 and thats a 45K car. I can get a 328 xi coupe nicely equipped for 550 per month (about the same as the autobahn GTI). (I've structured all the leases the same for an apples to apples comparison-Zero down, 15K miles, tax in payment,36 months (for VW it actually is only 35 mos. with their promotion)
    If they leased at the same percent difference as the MSRP, it would be a no brainer.
    It should lease at about 2/3 the price of the other cars but the others have huge incentives, more spread between invoice and msrp and better residuals and MF.
    Also, I was surprised to learn that the GTI will cost a bit more to insure than the BMW or Infiniti. Not sure why? (kids race them? High rate of theft?)
    VW is also an unknown to me regarding reliability. I have had outstanding experiences with both BMW and Infiniti.
    Please let me know your thoughts or suggestions. Maybe I'm missing something.
    As I said, it sure put a smile on my face.
  • chikochiko Member Posts: 25
    I'm in the same boat as you. The car seems really expensive for what you get. I used to have a 2006 fully loaded that I picked up for $25000. Now the same car costs over $31000 retail. I got a quote for a lease at invoice and it seems really high. The Autobahn package is a horrible lease value. Like you said, the Infiniti G sedan, MB C300 Sport, and BMW 328 can be had for the same price as the GTI. I'm actually checking out the A4 FrontTrak for about $50 less a month than the GTI Autobahn. I love the GTI, but the price and residual value of the Autobahn package are deal breakers.
    edited November 2010
    BTW- if you find an 10 infiniti G37 coupe, they are making some unbelievable deals.
    Would love to hear your impressions of the Audi. Is it the same engine as the GTI?
    Loved the sound and reving of the GTI engine note. Seats seemed to be better than the Audi A4 I sat in as well.
  • pgo1pgo1 Member Posts: 9
    Carman, could you please tell me what the November residual and money factors are for a base GTI 4-door (no sunroof, manual transmission) for a 10,000 mile per year lease? Thanks.
    Would love to hear the prices you were quoted on the C 300 and 328 as well as your impressions of test drives.
    Thanks
    I certainly can, pgo1.

Volkswagen Credit's November buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a base 2011 GTI with 10,000 miles per year are .00135 and 58%, respectively.

Don't forget that VW is waiving the first month's payment on leases of this car this month.

Car_man
    Host
  • edr6edr6 Member Posts: 1
    Please post lease factors plus pre-purchase 10K additional miles.

Going to try to trade a leased 2008 GLI 4 door early, 6 months pymts remain ~ $1,800, resid $15K, 50K miles, excellent condition - loaded.
    Hi edr6. Volkswagen Credit's December buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2011 Golf TDI 4-Door with 15,000 miles per year are .00176 and 59%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • pcharlespcharles Member Posts: 1
    Hi Car Man,

I'd like to know the money factor and residual on a 2011 Volkswagen Golf 2-door 5-speed (base model MSRP is approximately $17,965), and get your opinion of and any suggestions that you might have regarding Volkswagen's current lease offer of $269 a month/36 months/36k miles.

Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.