Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty Problems and Solutions

Comments

• elwoodstihlelwoodstihl Member Posts: 1
    Had EXACTLY the same issue in my 2003 F-150 at 8,500 miles (vehicle shudder when turning either direction from dead stop, not as severe when going straight). Ford mechanic test-drove it for 5 seconds and precisely identified the problem: Bad limited-slip rear differential clutch. Dealership replaced it at no expense (under warranty) with what they said was a new and improved part. That was two years ago. Today the truck has 54,000 miles and it's still fine. However, this F-150 is now on its 4th set of front brake rotors (under 50,000 miles total). For this fourth set, I gave up on the Ford dealership and went to a brake/muffler shop and they installed "heavy duty" Bendik rotors. Everything was great for the first few thousand miles after installation of the "heavy duty" rotors, but the recurrent front-end vibration on braking is now gradually returning -- again! Have you or anyone you know had any F-150 rotor vibration issues like this? Any suggestions? Thanks, Elwood
  • diffusiondiffusion Member Posts: 3
    My cousin recently had his 05 F-150 4x4 King Ranch with 32k at the dealer because of idling problems. After they looked at the truck for 1 week running tests Ford ultimately replaced all the injectors. One service technician said they have seen this before and it could be real problem for Ford, but the service manager said it's an isolated incidence.

Has anyone else heard of this problem?
  • the_hammerthe_hammer Member Posts: 1
    I just bought an 06 f350 march 1. I have noticed slippage from 3rd to fourth when lightly accelerating. It is almost like the tranny cant make up its mind between 3rsd and 4th.

I havent gone to the dealer yet, so I dont know what the problem is. Anyone elso got any info? :mad:
  • plandpland Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problem on my '05 F-150 5.4 Supercrew. Have lost the #6 injector twice and still idles rough. The dealer replaced all 8 injectors & still idles rough. I have 13k miles on the truck & it has been in the dealers repair garage 5-6 times with idle, AC & transmission problems.
  • truckdrainedtruckdrained Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 F-250 V10 and it does the same thing, I only have 54000 miles on it and I bought it with 10000, I have a lot of problems with this truck, and I see alot of people having same problems. Scares me to ever buy a ford truck again
  • chevykevychevykevy Member Posts: 2
    are you using your emergency brake? I had the same problem - '04 super-crew FX4 4X4 - truck would vibrate viloently while driving - problem was in emergency brake shoe - had parts replaced - never used emerg. brake again - problem disappeared.

hope it helps
  • 9925099250 Member Posts: 1
    1999 F250SD V-10
    travel down the road, acts like engine dies, but engine is still running at an idle, hit gas pedal, no acceleration...shut key off, restart, truck acts normal, have replaced MAF sensor, TP sensor, possible transmission problems? Have checked fuel pressure, 35lbs. Not consistent, some days runs fine, others above problem occurs. Anybody else experiencing?
  • e5ge5g Member Posts: 1
    All right smart guys, I need your help! 1997 F-250 7.3 litre turbo diesel. I installed an aftermarket down tube which took way to long to do. I love the increased horses, but hate the excessive noise and the major vibration that now occurs at idle and goes away about 300 rpms above idle. What happened? Did I break something? Is their further tuning that needs to be done? I have read about the e-brake problems but I have no vibration at speed or coasting. Also, any good luck at dampening the noise? All suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :sick:
  • fordallfordall Member Posts: 1
    The transmission that bogged down during the 1-2 shift had a bad #7 check ball in the valve body. It seems that the check ball controls the torque converter clutch and when it comes on at the wrong time it causes the vehicle to seem to loose power or shift too soon. Actually when the conveter clutch comes on it locks out the torque multiplication from the action of the reactor and makes it feel like it bogged down. TSB 06-08-02 covers it.
  • joshbouyjoshbouy Member Posts: 1
    it will not idle when it does it surges when you can get it to take off its real slow once the speed finely increases or turbo spools up truck takes off and runs but when you stop truck dies or surges and wont take off again
  • correywcorreyw Member Posts: 2
    I hate to say it but think it is a never ending nightmare...very hard to admit for a Ford guy at heart! I've been to the dealer 12 different times heard 12 different excuses.... had the engine torn apart 4 times, transmission worked on twice, cam phasers replaced twice, vct sensors replaced, cam sensors replaced, crank triggers replaced. O2 sensors, replaced, paint peeled the day I bought it and had to be repainted, tires replaced, and needless to say the vibrations from nearly day 1 which has always been a mystery to the dealers that no one has been able to figure out and no help with Fords circle jerk hotline and customer service! Oh dont let me forget that the 12th trip to the dealer they didn't put my engine back together completely left the oil from the engine and ac all over everything under the hood, scratched the hell out of my bumper using it for a step stool and forgot to cover the fenders while there shirt snaps scratched the piss out of them. I think they got the customer service aspect down to a T with this problem. So much for a 40,000 dollar truck I bought 6 months ago with 15 miles on it. I'm a very easy going patient person and have always had the attitude the sh@t happens but have lost my patience and respect the way I have been treated by Ford when they tell you to get your attorney. So last of all I did pay the up front fees to retain an attorney with Ford experience today and have been warned Im the little guy with little money compared to Ford but have also got a good case and a good chance so Im going for it anyways. After all I have kept all the documents, receipts, dealer conversations, and etc all well documented. Does anyone else remember the truthabouttrucks movie with Rick Titus that was handed out when you bought it at the dealer...its funny the omitted the ultimate smooth ride for the 2006's new movie I just picked up. Last thing I want to get out here to everyone is I feel your PAIN and I know there is risk to everything in life but if anyone else wants to get involved and make the case stronger and knows how we can contact each other since we cant post email addies let me know! Strength does come in numbers and I must fight for our right!
  • pocketflanpocketflan Member Posts: 1
    i have a 95 ford f-150 2wd. starter cranks but engine wont fire. i can hear the fuel pumps when the key turns and all accessories work. checked for spark from the coil wire and there was none. ford told me i needed to replace the ignition module--- i replaced it--same thing.. found out the new one failed 2/3 times. i replaced it again 5 days ago--worked great until today. i don't know what to do. i have also replaced the spark plug and coil wires as well as the rotor and cap. could it be coil then?? i don't know much about this stuff...please help
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    Well, sorry to hear about your bad experience. At this point it is safe to state that Ford has no clue what is wrong with your truck. In desperation and under pressure, they keep replacing everything that they think may solve the problem, so far without success.

It is rather fortunate that pickup trucks retain good resale value. My suggestion to you is to give it one last try to force Ford to buy the truck back. If not, trade in on another brand pickup. You may do better than you think on trade.
  • gchiiigchiii Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with both a F-150 and Grand Marquis.
    I clean the air vains and the EGR valve this fixed the ploblem. PS do not run less than 91 Octane in ford V-8 engines. This clogs up the EGR valve.
  • msm350msm350 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2003 f150 with silm prob doing the same and also when the trans is put in to gear drive or reverse the wipers and inter lights turn off Did you find any thing?
    Thanks in advance for any help
    Mark
  • edwardsvilleedwardsville Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a Ford F150 FX4 less than a month ago and it is already in the shop for a new engine with only 1500 miles on it. Is there any recourse this BS, can the truck be returned? Would you please share any information you may have found out from your lawyer as to how to make them responsible for this mess? Thanks
  • correywcorreyw Member Posts: 2
    I dont know what state you are from but Im in Iowa and Iowa's law states you have to give them 10 days to respond and 1 attempt to repair the vehicle. First you have to mail out a certified/registered notice to Ford which went out Friday (so should have it today). If they fail on either part of that then you do not have to give them any second chances and can rescind the contract. There are still more options but this is the first part of it. As for an update on the truck itself I washed it really good this weekend and noticed the clear coat is peeling on the roof and passenger door as well and they totally missed a spot on the passenger fender and the driver side seam of the hood. The tailgate is also bubbling. The vibration only gets worse as days go by. I hate to say it since I've owned a F150's in all these past years (1977,1985,1990,1996,2001, and now the 2005)all new and loved them and never had any problems with them. I just hope Ford doesn't continue backwards! However do not waste time if your state has a lemon law! I began noticing this from the beginning and thought its new and has bugs but it only gets worse.
  • redspaderedspade Member Posts: 1
    I have real bad gas mileage on my f150 4.9 inline 6. I have replaced the wires/cap/rotor/plugs/serp.belt/ and Air filter..I have also made sure the tires were at the proper inflation.. And I still only get at the most 12mpg.. :confuse: I am going to change the fuel filter but I still don't know else to do? my tranny is a 5 speed standard that comes with this year..nothin special.. With these gas prices.. looks like I'm going to have to keep driving my crappy 4 :lemon: banger... Help anyone?
  • egghead343egghead343 Member Posts: 1
    On 1-21-06 I fell into the trap when I purchaced a new 2005 F150. Thiry six hours later it spent 10 days back at the dealer where they claimed a Ford engineer reviewed the truck (this turned out to be a lie). After getting the truck back they gave me an invoice stating that brake parts in the back were changed, new tires were put on, and a vibration damper was installed. When I asked where this damper was installed, the service manager REFUSED to show me because he was busy. Me being the calm and understanding person, I decided not to make waves.
    This did not correct anything but I decided to give the dealership the benefit of the doubt and test out the fixes. I understand that I am too close to the problem and could me extremely critical and mistake the vibration for the way the truck was driving.

After a few weeks the vibration had not changed - it was still there and making me physically sick by the time I got to work. I had a friend that is a driveline engineer test drive it to confirm my claim, he agreed that it was bad.

I took the truck in a second time to the dealer and asked that the service manager show me this damper - he flat out refused. Luckly someone walked by and offered to show me. Everyone was shocked when we found that this part was never installed. The service manager was also stupid enough to admit he never put it on. This story is more involved and luckly the sales person quit working there over my issues and has agreed to testify in court.

The dealership finally put on the damper and it did not even phase the vibration - it was still there. After all of the drama I took the time to think without emotion and contacted a lawyer. Through out this whole process I have asked for my money back (nothing more, nothing less) and have filed almost every bit of paper work I can.
    I finally had to go to another dealership that is extremely out of my way - per my lawyers advise I cannot disclose anything about my case but I will say this. I WILL NOT GIVE UP UNTIL I GET MY MONEY OR A JUDGE GIVES ME A DECISION. To top it off I am having a problem with my trans, the 3-2 shift feels like a neutral slam and the truck is a dog. No power, and I baby that thing. The dealer says that the nature of the beast - I say that truck is junk. By the way, the vibration is still there.

After researching this problem for three months I have found;

This problem is very wide spread - I am starting to question the safty over a short peorid of time. Vibrations will cause other parts of the truck to fail.

I have met three independent owners stating that the rear axel will snap under stress within design parameters.

If you look under the rear left bumper, that is where the dampers are placed - its kinda funny how they know where to put them and the truck is already setup to have it installed.

I live in the south east Michigan area and intend to do everything in my power to inform the general public about this. Most importantly I am going to the press. Every side to an argument has a right to a defense so lets hear it. If you are reading this and would like to band together to get your money back and inform others please let me know at

F150help@hotmail.com

Power in numbers! Share you story and we can help each other.
  • brimstonebrimstone Member Posts: 2
    ANYONE HEARD OF THIS? 2002 F-250 5.4L GAS,SPARKPLUG BLOWING OUT OF TOP OF HAED CAUSING MAJOR DAMAGE.TRUCK HAS ONLY 43000KM AND IS BABIED ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED THANX KEVIN :mad:
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    You're not the only one here to have that experience, just do a search.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    As mac24 hinted, you can use the "search this discussion" feature at the top of this list of messages and type in a keyword to bring up posts by others about this issue.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• brimstonebrimstone Member Posts: 2
    just happened to me on my f-250 superduty 4x4 5.4l 43000km never abused never off pavement $4650.00 to fix.Check out consumeraffairs.com It has been a FORD problem since 1999
  • jsmichaeljsmichael Member Posts: 1
    Here's a WAG, but have you replaced the CPS to see if that fixes the problem?
  • jakec8jakec8 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm new here to this group and was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and how did they fix it?
    A friend of mine has a 2001 Ford F-250 super duty with a 7.3L diesel and automatic with overdrive. The problem is when it shifts from first to second you have to let off the throttle sometimes or it wont shift. A local transmission shop told his wife that it needs a new transmission. He drives truck so his wife took it to have it checked out. The truck has 52,000 miles on it and it doesnt do this everytime they drive it.
    Please, Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Jake
  • lang1lang1 Member Posts: 1
    hello i was wondering if this service had any good feed back as i am having the same problem with my 99 ford f350sd. the steering keeps cutting in and out.
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    Wow, you really dug up one of my old posts. My '01 used to wander all over the road. I looked like the stereotypical 3 year-old kid imitating someone driving a car. I was constantly moving the wheel back and forth a few inches to keep going in the right direction on a flat smooth, staight road. My truck just wouldn't go in a straight line at Highway speed. If you let go of the wheel, you'd drive off the side of the road in about 5 seconds.
    Dealer's tech drove my truck, recognized the problem and pulled up the TSB for the steering wander. He adjusted the steering gear mesh torque and it was like getting a whole new truck. You can let go of the wheel and it will just keep tracking in straight line. It's been fine ever since.
    I don't know what you mean when you say your "steering is cutting in and out." How many miles on your truck? Could it be your Ball Joints be wearing out? Ford cheaped out and didn't put the xerk fittings on them so they tend to wear out around the 75K mile range.
  • henry_chenry_c Member Posts: 7
    Anyhting on the 5.4 liter engine and the truck itself. information.
    have a K&N air filter in it qwith a dual exhaust system (three into form the manifolds to 2 two and a quarter tail pipes form the magna flow muffler). goingo to a K&N cold air kit soon.
    Anything would be helpful. things about the engine and the truck itslef that might help me in the futre. moved up from a 1997 Crown Victoria (knew everything about that car, don't know much about the truck...some, but not much)

Thanks
    talked to ford. My 2001 has the same problem..not as much iol, but it just dissappears. FORD says if it uses i quart in 1000 miles then they would fix things...but mine is under an extended service plan too.
    But, the 5.4 is known for it's Oil Burn issues.
    check all vaccum lines (think I spelled that wrong)
    I think I know what that is. My 97 crown vic had that issue...wouldn't idle. had FOrd look at it three times before I found the problema nd ripped them a new butthole. that went ahead and cleaned it out for me and put it back on. It was the Idle Air Control Module or maybe it was called the Idle Air Control Valve...cannot remember. might be the same thing. small metal thingy near the throttle body. mine was all caked up inside the valve with carbon deposits or something. Basically, it was frozen and would not allow my Crown Vic to Idle. I had it cleaned and put back on. Ford will say it should be replaced with a new one. I had Ford clean the old oneand reinstall it. it has ran Great ever since!

Did some research...I am almost positive it is called the Idle Air Control Valve.
    ANd I don't think FORD has a FGault Code for that device either. That is why we could nerver get it. I guessed by reading through my Haines manual...called ford..and There it was.
    fuel filter might be a great help, as well and ridding the engine of any deposits using some inner engine cleaner...>CAREFUL of that though. using an inner engine cleaner should clean Everything inside that motor...you will want to change the oil Right after you run that engine cleaner. Read the Caution statments and instructions carefully!!!
    switch to a synthetic motor oil too. That might halp you in the long run
    have the alignment checked. tires out of alignment could worsen your milage too.
  • lopezslopezs Member Posts: 7
    I have an 86 ford f-150...when i first got the truck, the guy told me nothing was wrong with it..so after about a week of driving it i found out there was something wrong with.when you drive around for like an hour our so it just dies out of now where like it isnt getting any gas to the engine and when you wait for a lil bit it starts up right back likenothing was wrong and takes off...someone told me it might be the fuel filter..come to find out it didnt have one in it...so i put one in it...it runs alot better now then it did but still cuts off...sometime it wont start then like 5mins later it will start right up...i like the truck alot..or sometimes when your goin down the street it trys to die still like it isnt getting any gas to it..i wanna fix it up real nice..but i need to find out whats wrong with it first...is it the fuel pump or something else..or just a tune up cause the plugs or real bad and need to be changed.and im about to move as soon as i get this fix so yeah i need someone to tell me something
  • jnealjneal Member Posts: 247
    Change the ignition module in the distributor....abt a $20 part and anyone can change it. Just take one screw out and it plugs into the distributor. You will have to have a special tool to remove it but AutoZone or and parts house has it for a couple of bucks.
  • lopezslopezs Member Posts: 7
    My 86 f-150 with a 302 pops when your driving down the road...when you take off it starts poppin and then stops when it gets up to speed..it comin fromt he engine...is it the spark plugs...or something else
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter aims to talk with full-size truck buyers, shopper and drivers. If this describes you, please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than 5pm Eastern on Friday, May 5, 2006. Please provide your daytime contact information and a few words about the relevant truck model(s).

Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jasenejasene Member Posts: 6
    i have a 2005 f-150 supercrew fx4 and the 4x4 has been giving me problems from the beginning. sometimes it would work and sometimes it would not. when i turned the switch sometimes it would do nothing. others it would work perfect. now it won't do anything at all. 4 high or low won't work. i don't even hear the noise. what would be the most likely thing wrong with it. the dealership is giving me the runaround. i want it fixed before the warranty is up.
  • ford624ford624 Member Posts: 75
    My Ford truck I bought in 1982 is now being passed onto my son.
    Darn thing will not wear out.
    I got tired of waiting.
    Last Friday I bought a new 2006 Lariat Super Crew.
    It is very nice.
  • letoaletoa Member Posts: 1
    My F150 was going well until my check engine light came on soon after the car started vibrating wildly when it idles - then after a while it would just cut-off. In fact it didnt even wait till it came to a stand still even when while it was moving slowly (without my foot on the accelerator) it would just cut out. My mechanic is totally puzzled - first it was the O2 senors which have been changed and no go its still the same - now he is telling me its the aircondition unit which is drawing too much power and knocking the engine out. I am not a mechanic so i am finding this all too frustrating.

Can anyone help with suggesdtions?

Here are some the symptoms.
    1) wild iddling
    2)engine cuts-off after idling in a parking or very,very-low speed.
    3) check engine light constantly on!
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    . My mechanic is totally puzzled................check engine light constantly on!

Try finding a competent mechanic who has a code reader and can understand fault codes, or take it to Autozone and have it done for free.
  • jnealjneal Member Posts: 247
    As Mac24 said, take it to AutoZone and have the code/codes read and post them here. Someone may be able to offer some advice based on the codes.
    Also, while you are at AutoZone, have them check your battery and alternator....could be the problem.
  • peaveypeavey Member Posts: 1
    We have this same problem. Dealer has had the truck twice now and cannot duplicate the noise. while moving, our truck will suddenly sound like we are dragging a muffler and then pop. Last time it did it we managed to go 30 miles with it constantly making the noise..it even kept up through slowdowns and turns. It appeared to be effecting the low gears or idle while going slow. It only stopped once we pulled up to the ford dealer and came to a complete stop. Help...( muddflap4@aol.com )
  • 4byfour4byfour Member Posts: 2
    Lucky guy. I want one too!
    2wd or 4wd?
    I want a 4wd.
    where did you buy it and if you don;t mind how much?

What is the reliability of these new Fords?
  • pbotpbot Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 F-350 with the 7.3L turbo diesel and when I try to start it under 55 degrees it fires a little then quits. The most recent case is today at 47 degrees. I end up having to plug in the block heater. After i get it running it's fine and starts the rest of the day without problems.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I was thinking it may be my glow plugs but it only has 85,000 miles on it.

Thanks in advance.

Ron
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    glow plugs need periodic replacement I believe on your truck. Not sure, but you should check to see if this is a normal "expendable" item that requires swapping out at a certain mileage. Diesels ignite solely on compression, so it's either the glow plugs or low compression as a rule.

There are more radical solutions for getting cold diesels to start easily but for 47 degrees I don't think they apply here.
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    Check your Glow Plug relay. From reading Powerstroke posts it seems to be the weak link a lot of the time. Glow plugs do die, but your's aren't that old.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    That's a really good suggestion as well. The relay is probably fused, too, so check that too.
  • shakeyf250shakeyf250 Member Posts: 2
    I am glad i'm not the only one that is having this problem with their truck, and service department at the dealership, i just got my truck back and the service tech adjusted the gear mesh load in the steering box, now my truck feels like it doesn't have power steering, i am almost leary to drive it on the interstate. My next step is to have the tech/ service mngr drive on the interstate and have it happen to them, i bet after they change their shorts they will find a solution!
    thanks, shakeyf250
  • rlewis1rlewis1 Member Posts: 2
    It sounds like you may have a vacum leak. Get a can of WD-40 and spray it around your engine while it is idleing. If the engine rpm's increase you found the leak. Fix it and your problems should be solved.
  • rlewis1rlewis1 Member Posts: 2
    My truck has 15,000 miles and it has started making a loud grinding noise followed by the sound of gears spinning freely and winding down in the front end. This occurs while driving at any speed. It will normally stop when I slow down or come to a complete stop and you hear a loud clunk and everything returns to normal. It grinds loud enough that everyone around is staring wondering what is wrong. I suspect a problem with the hubs or axles in the front end.
    Has anyone else had this problem fixed??
    From talking to other people it is not uncommon, but the dealers couldn't fix the problems. My truck has been in the shop for three days now and they are clueless.
This discussion has been closed.