Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Volkswagen Passat Lease Questions

Comments

• neel2neel2 Member Posts: 1
    VW Passat S Automatic with appreance pkg LEASE deal 3 year 36000 miles one pay $8424.00 out the door.(234/month all inclusive)

Is it a good deal?

thanks
  • pavlonpavlon Member Posts: 43
    Hello CarMan, wanted your thought on this lease quote for a brand new Passat 2012 S with Appearance. selling price $19,875. $1,500 due at signing, 10,000 miles per year, 36 month lease, monthly payment $185 total including taxes. This in the san francisco bay area.

Thanks a lot.
  • gmat1gmat1 Member Posts: 2
    What would be:

1) Incentives
    2) Residuals
    3) Money factor top tier credit
    4) Better to lease in CA or TX

I travel back and forth hence the TDi decision. Also looking at 2012 Hyundai Azera Premium not sure which is the best value with highest residual hence lowest lease payment. Seems Azera has high residual 51% and more options but diesels seem to command high resale. Not sure what Vw financial is offering that can swing the deal in favor?

Thank you for all your help this is always stressful trying to get and process informative data to make an informed choice and purchase I think its great Car man you help people out.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi pavlon. At first glance this payment looks reasonable to me, but it would be much easier for me to evaluate if you were able to provide me with this car's MSRP.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    You're very welcome, gmat1. Thank you for the kind words.

Volkswagen Credit's April buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 Passat SEL TDI with 15,000 miles per year are .00164 and 55%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Volkswagen is not currently providing any cash incentives on TDI models.

Car_man
    Host
    Thank you Car-Man. MSRP is 23,730
  • thormanthorman Member Posts: 2
    4/29/12 Lease Deal

MSRP = $27,800

36mo/ 12K miles/year

$0 Drive-off = $274+tax

thx jamessj1 for your post (#964)! The info really helped me get the best lease payment! Prices were all over the place - $300 to $450/mo
  • vw_acuravw_acura Member Posts: 2
    Hi Car_man

Could you provide the May residual value and MF for a 2012 Passat SE w/ sunroof at 12K miles per year? Can you also let me know if there are any dealer incentives (I don't believe there are).

I have what I think is a great deal using the April MF, residual, and incentives. The dealership was having problems with their computers yesterday and could not process the order, so I am picking the car up today and they are honoring the April deal

I want to make sure the deal I received is better than what would be possible in May.

Thanks
  • gmat1gmat1 Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2012
    Hi Carman thx for the reply.

Note sure if what the dealer purposed or offered is a good deal as there are a few things off. Dealer says based on March VW finance numbers they told me.

Sale price: $32,246 for reference (MSRP 31,195 base + floormat kit + destination 770=32,220)
    Lease: 36mo 15k miles at $544.80
    Payments were $504.28 + sales tax 41.52= $544.80
    Amount due at signing $874.27 (1st mo 544.80 plus 319.91 trade allowance)
    Money factor is .001412
    Residual value $17412.84
    Acquisition fee $625
    Title and license $347.75
    Sales/Use Tax +any tax $27.18
    Sales tax in my county 8.25%
    Depreciation and any amortized amount $15558.62
    Rent Charge $2559.46
    Total payments $19612 (adjusted other charges $350) total payments $20292.27

In other charges they sneaked in this $350 no description just says quote "other charges (not part of your monthly or single payment) Disposition fee (if you do not purchase the vehicle). Dealer says I can walk if I don't like the car they bring tomorrow so not sure what this is.

My Credit is 720's dealers is telling me VW financial tiers are:

Tier 1 800-900
    Tier 2 750-799
    Tier 3 700-749

Thanks for all your help Carman you do a great service and I am grateful to you. The new car experience wears off when you see you got taken advantage of for the ownership period of the car and beyond. I want nothing but happy feeling with my purchase as were all feeling the pain of the economy and can't afford getting taken advantage of and what to be smiling and happy as we drive down the road.

Thank you once more!!
  • joncltjonclt Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have a lease offer on this vehicle sticker price 26,665. 15K miles/year -- 36 months -- 0 down --- $298/month. I think the discount is $4,500. They quoted me a residual value of about $13,500. Is this a good deal? Thanks!
  • ursusursus Member Posts: 128
    Car_man, can you please provide numbers for 3.6 SE w/navi and SEL on 36 month/10K lease? Is $800 under invoice a decent deal?

Thanks.
  • mjomegamjomega Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I am due to turn in my leased VW Jetta (2009) at the end of June. My current car is in near perfect condition and a great color combination (black ext. with khaki int.) and only 23,000 mi. My VW dealer has made an offer on a 2012 Passat SE lease for 36 months with $1500 down, and I think it is far too high. He said he would "trade" the Jetta directly with me and then offered a total monthly lease price for the Passat of $267. It seems to me that given the value of my current car, turning it in a month early, and the down payment and residual value, that this is not acceptable. Please advise so I know how to negotiate and can, for once, get a good deal. Thanks very much.
    salprof2
  • tcoloradotcolorado Member Posts: 2
    I am new to this board and really appreciate the information. I am looking for a 2012 Passat 2.5L SE with nav and sunroof. The MSRP is $27,800. I would like to lease for 36 months with $1500 down and at 10K a year. We have good credit (about 750 score). What would the residual value and money factor for this car be? I think our sales tax is at 7.62%. Does anyone have an idea of a complete monthly payment? Thanks in advance.
  • ChrismaxChrismax Member Posts: 87
    I leased the same exact vehicle with zero down and 15000 miles per year for $315 per month- just to give you an idea.
  • vw_acuravw_acura Member Posts: 2
    I had a very similar situation. I was due to turn in my 2009 Jetta SE (same color combination as you) in July.

I was able to turn in my car early and lease a 2012 Passat SE w/ sunroof for $288/ month including taxes with zero down for 12K miles/ year.

I leased back in April and I am not sure if the residual value and money factor have changed this month. Also, there was a $1250 lease incentive last month.
  • tcoloradotcolorado Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the information. Do you know the residual value and the money factor the dealer was using? Thanks.
    Residual is $14,500
    You're welcome pavlon. Thanks for the additional information. OK, so you are being charged $19,875 for a 2012 Passat S that has an MSRP of $23,730. The margins on the Passat are actually pretty thin. I'd say that this is a very attractive discount. Enjoy!

Car_man
    Host
    Here's the information that you're looking for vw_acura. VW Credit's May buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 Passat SE w/sunroof and 12,000 miles per year are .00014 and 53%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

When negotiating your deal on this car, make sure to take advantage of the $1,500 cash incentive that is currently available on leases of it.

Car_man
    Host
    You're very welcome gmat1. The money factor that you were quoted looks good. The selling price isn't great, but I'm really not all that familiar with what the market is like for Passat diesel models right now. I know that the $1,500 cash incentive that VW is providing on gas Passats is not available on the TDI, so that's one reason why there isn't much of a discount.

Still there should be around a $1,300 difference between this car's MSRP and dealer invoice price. I personally would want the dealer to split that with me, unless there is a real shortage of TDI models in your area and you don't have any room to haggle.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi jonclt. A $4,500 discount is huge. If you can get that on this car then you are getting a very good deal. Just make sure that the dealer uses VW Credit's buy rate lease money factor of .00014 to calculate your payment (top credit tier) and you're in business.

Car_man
    Host
    Sure ursus. VW Credit's May buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 Passat 3.6 SE with Navigation and 10,000 miles per year are .00014 and 54%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a '12 Passat 3.6 SEL are interestingly exactly the same.

I'd say that $800 under dealer invoice is an excellent selling price for either of these cars.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi mjomega. It would be much easier for us to evaluate this deal if you were able to provide us with this car's MSRP and selling price. This will show us how much of a discount the dealer is giving you on your new car and how much, if anything they are giving you for your Jetta.

Car_man
    Host
    Welcome tcolorado. Volkswagen Credit's May buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 Passat 2.5L SE with navigation, sunroof and 10,000 miles per year are .00014 and 54%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

When negotiating your deal on this car, make sure to take advantage of the $1,500 cash incentive that Volkswagen is currently providing on leases of it.

Car_man
    Host
  • ursusursus Member Posts: 128
    Thanks Car_man. My dealer was upfront with me - I got my CC and Jetta for my relative from him. He gave me .00014 MF, but the residual he quoted me was actually higher - 56% for 10K miles. Maybe it's just regional difference.
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    Hello CarMan, wanted your thought on this lease quote for a brand new Passat 2012 S with Appearance. selling price $19,875.

OK, so you are being charged $19,875 for a 2012 Passat S that has an MSRP of $23,730.
    I could be wrong but a Passat S starts at $19995 and that is without air conditioning and without a drivers power seat. The SE model starts at $23730. At least an SE has a/c, drivers power seat, nicer radio, much nicer seats. Like I say, we have been looking and I could be wrong...I just jumped in, but check those prices...just trying to help.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• oliviadacatoliviadacat Member Posts: 2
    The MSRP is $26,600. Residual is $14,400. I was quoted a payment of $264, with $3,000 down. The sales tax is 8.75%. For New York residents, is sales tax based on the total amount of future lease payments? The dealer told me that NY bases the sales tax on the total MSRP price of the $26,600. From my calculations, the car's MSRP has been marked down about $1,600 while most VW dealers in the area are advertising comparable cars marked down $2,500 across the board for Passat. After all this research I think they were trying to rip me off? Is this the best way to figure out if I'm getting a good deal? (To calculate what the MSRP is being marked down to based on all the figures they gave me)
  • maxlevmaxlev Member Posts: 85
    Seems high. In feb I got a deal for the same car (se w/roof) for 260ish plus tax with only first month and tags out of pocket (500). You def have some wiggle room to work with in my opinion.
  • oliviadacatoliviadacat Member Posts: 2
    The 264 includes taxes, with the 3k down it does seem to be a ripoff so far.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    For New York residents, is sales tax based on the total amount of future lease payments?

This, plus tax on any downpayment... all paid upfront (though, you can roll it into your capitalized cost and your lease payment, if desired).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

You're welcome ursus.

Car_man
    Host
    Thank you so much! got the deal. In the 1,500 due at signing first month payment and registration was also included.
  • mobanimobani Member Posts: 4
    Hi guys, I know for a good advice you need the MSRP but right now I do not have that but I thought until I get that I can see if the numbers are in the ballpark or not.

The offer I have is monthly payment of $365 for a 36 month lease of 2012 Passat SE with Sunroof and navigation and 15,000 miles per year. At signing time I pay the first month + DMV which is in the $100 to $150 range. I live in NY.

Using the edmunds calculator and the price of $26195 (which is what edmunds calculator uses for this car) and 0.00014 and %52 residual and $1500 discount I get monthly payment of $335 which suggest the offer I have is not that great.

So, what do you think? Are my calculations correct? Are the money factor, rate, residual, etc that I use correct? Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.
    You can do better than $365 per month for this car. I have the same car, MSRP was $27,800 and I was able to get a 36 month lease with 15K miles per year and only paid 1st month plus doc fee and drove a way for $315 per month in Illinois. The initial quotes I received were all in the $380-390 range. Shop a few dealers and work them.
  • bigbsbigbs Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2012
    Good Deal ???

1. Turning my 2009 passat in 3 months early (383 month)
    2. New SEL Premium 36 Months MSRP $30,210
    3. At signing $830 (First month, MV Fees + 250)
    4. 10k year
    5. New payment $390 month

Thoughts????
    You're very welcome pavlon. Enjoy your new ride!

Car_man
    Host
    Here s the offer I have; They are going to pay the last two payments left on my current lease (a 2009 Jetta); They obviously have not mentioned the $1500 incentive they have for this month sales. Seems high based on my calculations. What do you guys think?

MSRP: $27,835.00
    SELLING PRICE: $25,135.00 (CAP COST)
    BANK FEE: $625
    TAXES: $1,153.20
    ADJUSTED CAP COST: $26,913.20
    MONEY FACTOR: .00014 X 2400 = .336%
    RESIDUAL: $14,195.25 (51%)

DUE AT SIGNING: $521.50 <---------- I believe this includes the first month payment
    PAYMENT: $359.02 X 36 MONTHS
    15,000 MILES PER YEAR
  • bustedstuffbustedstuff Member Posts: 11
    CarMan - Let me know how I did...

2012 Passat SE 3yr/10k lease

MSRP: $25,830
    Sales Price: $20,860
    Gross Cap Cost: $21,485 (incl. $625 acq fee)
    Res Value: 54%
    MF: 0.00014 (0.34%)

$556 out the door (1st month, registration, doc fee, tire fee)

I come up with a monthly total of $232.66 but the dealership says it's $239.47. Can you please double check my math?
    Is car_man hibernating!?
    Hi bustedstuff. The selling price and money factor that you were quoted look great.

Using the numbers that you provided in your post, an MSRP of $25,830 and a selling price of $21,485 I come up with a zero down, pre-tax monthly payment of around $215.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey mobani. I was away for a couple of days for Memorial Day, but I'm just about caught up. Did I answer what you're looking for?

Car_man
    Host
  • tw1010tw1010 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2012
    I would appreciate any feedback on the lease terms below:

2012 Passat SE with Sunroof

MSRP: $26,630
    Sale Price: $23,130
    Residual: 54%
    MF: .00040

Payment: $275.66
    Due at signing: $800 (registration, dealer fees)

Thanks!
  • bhashbhash Member Posts: 1
    Hi. Any thoughts on how good a deal this is?

2012 Passat SE (without sunroof), 36 month lease with 15000 miles/year. Down payment of $2000, and monthly payments of $250.

Thanks!
  • passatsepassatse Member Posts: 2
    All,

I could use some help. Please review my offer and let me know if I should take the deal or go shopping at other dealers.

2012 SE with Sunroof and 15K a year for 36 months

$300 a month before taxes or $330 after. I am in Washington

$670 due at signing, which includes first payment.

Have any of you traded in a car on a lease?

Thanks,
    We are snowbirds, expect to be in Florida for about 3 to 3 1/2 months a year. We will fly down for November, and would like to keep a Passat in Florida. When we drive down after Christmas, and stay until the end of Feb we would like to have two cars to use.

Our first plan was to buy a 2013 model in August for delivery when we arrive in November.
    We are looking at a manual SE, white with beige interior, no other options.
    Based on pricing for a 2012, one dealer gave us a list price of $24765. He calculated a discount of $1033. With all the tax, dealer prep, tag and registration ($450) etc total price was $27280. With discount round off to $26000.
    Edmunds best price for this car is $23,276. Probably $400 lower than the price they gave.

We expect to drive about 5000 miles a year total. It would be difficult to get a used or even find a 2012 in an acceptable color and with manual shift.

In your opinion, would you try for $400 or $500 off the price we were given?
    Would you consider leasing the car under these circumstances?

Thanks in advance for any help or comments.

• kardiackidneykardiackidney Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone,

I am trying to decide whether to lease or buy this time. as for a purchase i am thinking of taking advantage of the 0.9% 60 months. as far as the lease i drive about 10K a year but would prefer a 12K lease. The pricing iam getting is

MSRP $30,035
    Financed at 0.9% APR for 60 months with $0 down:
    Sale price: $26,488
    Total fees: $377.75
    Total tax: $2189.80
    Total Out the door: $29055.55
    Monthly Payment: $495.60

Leased for 3 years with 36K total mileage:
    Security Deposit: $350 WAIVED
    Minimum out-of-pocket (first month+DMV fees): $711.33
    Monthly payment: $313.97+tax=$339.87
    Lease money factor: 0.00007!!!!
    Residual Value: $15,918.5

What are everyones thoughts?
  • nchinchi Member Posts: 7
    Is it worth leasing a Passat TDI? There never special lease offers on it, but perhaps residual is higher.

What are numbers for se wih sr and nav for 3 yr lease 15k Miles per year?
  • chevychase1chevychase1 Member Posts: 4
    CARMAN - please help!

12k miles, 36 months

MSRP: $27,835.00
    SELLING PRICE: $22778
    TAXES + FEES: $2068
    ADJUSTED CAP COST: $24,846
    MONEY FACTOR: .00007 X 2400 = .178%
    RESIDUAL: $14,753 (53%)
    -dealer asking for $1999 down, and monthly payment $225/month

whaddya think??
    thanks!
    dealer asking for $1999 down, and monthly payment $225/month

I don't know where Car Man is these days but that sounds like a great deal to me....I'd sign up right away.

For one thing, that is a huge discount that I don't think they give too often, and the residual looks pretty fair. And drive a well equipped Passat for $225 a month!

Get down there first thing Monday morning!

Sounds like a good deal. I am always concerned about putting $ down. If you went with $0 down, your payment would still be around $275.
This discussion has been closed.