Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Volkswagen Passat Lease Questions

Comments

• amxamx Member Posts: 8
    thanks car_man .. this is post is a little late. .here it is. .we picked up the car late last month. For some reason, we got .00057 for the wagon (dealer error?) . .so we ended up with:
    - 0 down/drive off
    - 36/mo, 15K miles
    - Passat wagon, pkg1, rear side airbag
    - don't recall how much exactly below invoice..
    - 366/mo incl CA tax!

leassons learned: we bought what they had in stock ..always shop around, even when you are quite some ways down with a dealer.. and always hang out at this forum.. you guys all rock..
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hey mikemookie. Let's take a look at this deal. The vehicle that tyou described, a 2007 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T Wagon with Luxury Package 2 has a spread of just under $2,500 between its full MSRP and dealer invoice prices. You are were quoted a discount of only $860. I am not intimately familiar with what the market is like for this model in your area right now, but I personally would shop around to see if I could get a larger discount than this. I would not be surprised if you were able to negotiate at least another $500 off this car's price. For additional informaiton on how much you should pay for this wagon, make sure to stop by the following discussion: "Volkswagen Passat: Prices Paid & Buying Experience".

Another thing that I don't like about this deal is the large cap cost reduction that you are making. I always advise community members not to make down payments on leased vehicles. I do so because if your leased vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered, your down payment essentially disappears.

VW Credit's new 36 month buy rate lease money factor for this model is .00113. Make sure that this is the number that the dealer you are working with uses to calculate its lease payment.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hello chmcmm. A base 2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T Sedan has a spread of a little over $1,900 between its full MSRP and dealer invoice price. You were quoted a discount of around $1,500 on the car that you are interested in. This is a pretty good price for a lease of an '06 Passat (not the Value Edition) through VW Credit right now. Using the prices that you mentioned in your post, an MSRP of $27,790 and a selling price of $26,300, and VW Credit's current 36 month, 12,000 mile per year lease program, I estimate that this car's zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $363. Make sure to find out why the payment that the dealer quoted you is different. Perhaps you are having your car's security deposit waived or its acquisition fee rolled into its capitalized cost.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    You're welcome, bat60. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hey mikemookie. The money factor that you were quoted is right in line with VW Credit's current buy rate for this model. This is a good sign because it means that this dealer is not attempting to mark your car's money factor up to add additional back-end profit to your deal. The selling price that you were quoted still seems a little high to me though. Have you gotten price quotes from multiple dealers in your area? If so and they quoted you similar prices than this is just the market for this car right now, but I have a suspicion that you can do better than this, even on a 2007 model.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Ahhh, the additional $1,000 discount makes this a much better price than it initially appeared, mikemookie. It still doesn't hurt to comparison shop through. I never go six days without posting in this forum. I'm in here every day except for Saturdays. I make the rounds through a ton of discussions so it's possible that I have not been in the Passat Lease discussion for a few days through.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hey bat60. Part of the reason for the incredible discounts that you are seeing is the $2,500 dealer cash that Volkswagen is currently providing on 2006 Passat 2.0T Sedan and $3,500 dealer cash that it is providing on Passat 3.6 Sedan models. Unfortunately, this dealer cash is not compatible with VW Credit's special lease program. So expect the price that you will have to pay for a leased '06 Passat to be several thousand dollars higher than the price that you would have had to pay for one had you paid cash for it or financed it through an independent bank.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Greetings ckwehe. VW Credit definitely leases new vehicles to consumers, not just businesses. What state are you in? A while ago many banks stopped leasing vehicles to residents of New York. However, when that state's vicarious liability laws were eliminated most banks resumed leasing to New York residents. VW Credit's Drivers Option program is what is known in the industry as a balloon note program. Balloon notes are very similar to leases in that they provide consumers with low monthly payments and with the option to purchase their leased vehicles for a per-determined price after a specific period of time. One difference between balloon notes and leases are that with leases the banks names are on vehicles' titles while with balloon notes yours is. Another difference is in how they are calculated. Banks use normal interest rates for balloon notes instead of money factors.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Greetings Terri. The best way to tell if a lease is a good deal is to look at the vehicle's selling price. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. Negotiate a low a selling price as possible on the Passat that you want and then have the dealer calculate its lease payment using VW Credit's current buy rate lease money factor. For this car, the 2006 Passat Sedan Value Edition, VW Credit's 36 month buy rate is .00094. Its 39 month buy rate for this car is .00137.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    You're very welcome, Mitch. Thank you for the kind words. This car's lease program varies depending upon how long you lease it for and how many miles per year you are allowed to drive it. for now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. If you were to lease a 2006 Volkswagen Passat 3.6 4-Motion Sedan through VW Credit right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00105 and 50%, respectively. The money factor for an otherwise identical lease of an '06 Passat 3.6 Front Wheel Drive Sedan is the same, but the residual value is 49%.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    You're welcome, amx. Congratulations on your new car!

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • charloscharlos Member Posts: 11
    Wow! Is this common practice for a car manufacturer? This tells me that they have no confidence in their own cars. In other words, it seems to me they are concerned about the risk involved in too many people returning cars at lease end, i.e, they would rather that you own it outright.

I really like this car, but am starting to think about going the Japanese route again. Too concerned about the horror stories of people waiting weeks for diagnoses/parts. Guess I'll wait for the JD Power/Consumer Reports verdicts.
  • larmenlarmen Member Posts: 22
    according to cars.com VW is offering 2000-3500 to dealers on Passats. let it be known that you know this fact. if the dealer continues to hardball you then just get up and walk out. let them know that they want to sell you a car more than you want to buy one from them. I've done this several times over the decades of car buying; it works every time. good luck!
  • jdtaylor23jdtaylor23 Member Posts: 1
    Car Man,
    Thanks for all the responses. While I made the move on the better of the 2 deals before I had chance to read your post, this does make me feel a lot better about going with this dealer. He was a "friend of a friend", so I'm glad he at least gave me a competitive offer. And from all the dealerships I spoke with, he was best in the NYC market.
    Thanks again for all your help in not only my first "new" car, but my first VW.
    MikeMookie
  • autobuyercalifautobuyercalif Member Posts: 1
    I am new to this Forum. Got what seems like a reasonably good internet/dealer quote on leasing a new Passat Wagon 07 - money factor 0.0013, 36 months, 12000 miles/year, price about $500 above invoice, residual value 57%, no down other than usual tax, etc - amounts to $350/month incl. CA tax.
    I realise the month is over on Monday - should I use this to push for an even better deal (how? they say this is the best they can do) or do you think money factors could improve for August so I should wait? Thanks a lot for any help.
  • bat60bat60 Member Posts: 12
    Car-man thanks, Now if I were to buy it using VW's financing 4.9 would the discounts apply. The reason I would like to buy now is VW is willing to take the last 6 payments (I have 4 left) if I buy or lease through VW financing. If not I just wait. Never know there might be a 06 high end 3.6 hanging around in 4 mo.. Thanks Mitch
  • vballny23vballny23 Member Posts: 33
    I just finished the ppwork on the 2006 VW Passat 2.0 T lease. Options were Package #2 and auto.

36 mo. and 12K miles/yr

$415 mo.

That includes all NY state taxes, bank fees, etc. Security Deposit waived. Only paying 1st month and DMV fees when picking up car.

Residual was only 53% for the 36 mo. and 12K/yr lease, but it was slightly below invoice.
  • rongrong Member Posts: 9
    Hi,
    I got an excellent lease deal in April when the Passat 2004 Wagon has just arrived the market. I leased the 2007 2.0T with Pack Lux 2 Auto 36 months, navigation system, 17" wheels, rubber mats pack for $429, with no money down and including all NY taxes and fees. I only paid first months and MVT fees which totaled $750.

So far I am very happy and everybody are complementing how nice the car looks (it is Blue Graphite). I heard some realibility issues, but all i can say it is much more realible than my 2003 Saab Arc which I had to take to the dealership 7-9 times the first year I drove it
  • passat001passat001 Member Posts: 1
    I am a first time buyer with a question about the deal I am about ready to make.

Terms 48month/12000miles
    sticker 37930
    negotiated price 35700
    down payment 2500
    monthly 459.00... 483.00 after TTL fees

This is for a lease on a 2006 passat 3.6 with the sport pkg.
    Also what are your thoughts on purchasing at the end of lease. One reason for leasing was just to keep payment lower for atleast 2years until I get some funds saved back in my account I also have a 02 Millenia that I am going to sell outright and use for approx. 2+yrs payments. Do you suggest something different?

Please advise.
  • ocgeezerocgeezer Member Posts: 5
    Hello. Currently, VW seems to have a lease deal on the Value Edition of the Passat. Does anyone know what the money factor is on this deal? If this is indeed a good deal, does it apply to the other models? I'm looking to lease a Passat 2.0T (non-Value Edition) with automatic transmission and Package #1 for 36-42 months, depending on which gives the best money factor. Also, does anyone know what the residuals are for 36, 39, and 42 months for this car? Are the deals different if I'm in the Southern California area? Thanks!
  • rongrong Member Posts: 9
    Hi,
    I was offered a better deal on the 3.6 4Motion 2007 Wagon with Lux package for 48 months $500 a month with no money down.
    It seems that you can do much better for better for the 2006 Sedan
  • mjl22mjl22 Member Posts: 3
    Car Man,

Do you know the current money factors and resduals for August for the Passat. Thanks.
    mjl,

This week, I just leased a 2006 Passat 2.0 T with premium package #2, auto, and rubber mats, trunk lining, and splash guard package. The MF given to me was .00094 and the residual was 53%. Sorry, don't have the 3.6 info.
  • ensm00ensm00 Member Posts: 4
    What was your MSRP and selling price on that lease? How many months and what annual mileage?
    MSRP was $28,740. Selling price was $26,780. I live here in NY. With everything rolled in...taxes, bank fee, etc (no security deposit was required), came to $415 month. Lease is for 36 mo. and 12K miles/yr. Paid $544 at signing (1st month and DMV fees for transfer plates).
  • mjl22mjl22 Member Posts: 3
    Here is a link to the money factors for August Passat 2.0 and 3.6.

http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/financing/7926754-1.html
  • cheepcheep Member Posts: 4
    Anyone seen '07 Passat Sedans? I'm looking to lease one. The '06 won't allow me to get the package I want (2.0T, 6MT, Dynaudio).
    Hi larmen. While Volkswagen is providing $2,500 to $3,500 dealer cash on 2006 Passats right now, this dealer cash is not compatible with Volkswagen Credit's special lease program. The only way that one can take advantage of this dealer cash is to pay cash for a Passat or finance one through an independent bank.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    You're very welcome, MikeMookie. Congratulations on your new car. Enjoy!

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Welcome autobuyercalif. The Passat Wagon's lease program varies by trim level. If you tell me the exact model that you are interested in, i.e. an '07 Passat Wagon 2.0T, a 3.6L 4Motion, etc... I would be happy to tell you what VW Credit;s current lease program is like on it. $500 over invoice is a good selling price for this vehicle.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    You're welcome, Mitch. No, Volkswagen's dealer cash on the 2006 Passat is not compatible with its special financing rates either. The only way to take advantage of the dealer cash that is currently available on this model is to pay cash for or finance one through an independent bank.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Congratulations on your new ride, rong. It sounds very nice. Enjoy!

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi there passat001. Since you are new to the world of leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

The first thing that I notice about the lease that you were quoted is the large down payment that you were asked to make. Consumers are free to lease any vehicle that they want without making any sort of down payment. I always advise community members not to make down payments when leasing because if their leased vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered, the down payment essentially disappears.

There's nothing wrong with purchasing a leased vehicle at the end of its term, IF its purchase price is less than it would cost to purchase a similar car on the open market. It's never a good idea to overpay for a vehicle, even if it is one that you were leasing.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Greetings ocgeezer. Volkswagen is providing lease support on all 2006 Passat models right now. Its exact lease program varies by trim level though. If you were to lease a 2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T Sedan (not the Value Edition) through VW Credit right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value would be .00099 and 51%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 39 month lease of this car should be .00141 and 49%. I have not seen its 42 month lease program recently. If you were to lease this car with only 12,000 miles per year, its residual values would be 2% higher.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hello mjl22. These cars' lease programs vary depending upon how long you lease them for and their mileage allowances. For now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. VW Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2006 Passat 2.0T Sedan (not the Value Edition) with 15,000 miles per year are .00099 and 51%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a 2006 Passat 3.6 Sedan without 4Motion are .00088 and 49%.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • coolanzzcoolanzz Member Posts: 3
    Dear Car_man,

Tommorow morning am finalising a lease deal on 2006 Passat 2.0T. Total calculated (MSRP)sticker price of car am leasing is $31,965.00, Its with Premium package, Exterior is Reflex Silver, Interior is black with leather heated seats, navigation, sunroof, Dynaudio etc. well in one word it is a fully loaded equipped car what VW offers. Tommorow morning am signing a lease deal with residual of 0.51, money factor 0.00099, 15k miles per year and for 36 months. Downpayment is $2365 which includes first monthly payment of $365, dmv and all misc. charges except number plate. I am resident of NY state. What do you think about this deal ???? :confuse: Do you consider this deal good :confuse: An early reply will be appreciated, and thanks to your discussion board, as I am following it from last 3 weeks such that I can finalise a good car at good price. As its my first car, I learnt more or less everything about car shopping on this site, thanks once again.
    P.S. I cannot tell Net Cap cost and calculated costs as after heavy negotiations we nailed down on my monthly payments with $2000 downpayment. I drove the car am leasing, but it had already 80 miles on it, does it make any difference ??? Secondly does a color choice changes price??? I already reserved the car by paying deductible $500. Your opinion will be appreciated.
    Dear Car_man,
    I guess this makes a complete info to my earlier message :) , GRS CAP COST : $28715.34, CAP REDUCTION: $813.00, NET CAP COST: $27902.34, ADJ Residual: $16302.15.

This message is a continuation of message below:

Dear Car_man,

Tommorow morning am finalising a lease deal on 2006 Passat 2.0T. Total calculated (MSRP)sticker price of car am leasing is $31,965.00, Its with Premium package, Exterior is Reflex Silver, Interior is black with leather heated seats, navigation, sunroof, Dynaudio etc. well in one word it is a fully loaded equipped car what VW offers. Tommorow morning am signing a lease deal with residual of 0.51, money factor 0.00099, 15k miles per year and for 36 months. Downpayment is $2365 which includes first monthly payment of $365, dmv and all misc. charges except number plate. I am resident of NY state. What do you think about this deal ???? Do you consider this deal good An early reply will be appreciated, and thanks to your discussion board, as I am following it from last 3 weeks such that I can finalise a good car at good price. As its my first car, I learnt more or less everything about car shopping on this site, thanks once again.
    P.S. I cannot tell Net Cap cost and calculated costs as after heavy negotiations we nailed down on my monthly payments with $2000 downpayment. I drove the car am leasing, but it had already 80 miles on it, does it make any difference ??? Secondly does a color choice changes price??? I already reserved the car by paying deductible $500. Your opinion will be appreciated.
    Dear Car_man,
    I guess this makes a complete info to my earlier message :) , GRS CAP COST : $28715.34, CAP REDUCTION: $813.00, NET CAP COST: $27902.34, ADJ Residual: $16302.15.

This message is a continuation of message below:

Dear Car_man,

Tommorow morning am finalising a lease deal on 2006 Passat 2.0T. Total calculated (MSRP)sticker price of car am leasing is $31,965.00, Its with Premium package, Exterior is Reflex Silver, Interior is black with leather heated seats, navigation, sunroof, Dynaudio etc. well in one word it is a fully loaded equipped car what VW offers. Tommorow morning am signing a lease deal with residual of 0.51, money factor 0.00099, 15k miles per year and for 36 months. Downpayment is $2365 which includes first monthly payment of $365, dmv and all misc. charges except number plate. I am resident of NY state. What do you think about this deal ???? Do you consider this deal good An early reply will be appreciated, and thanks to your discussion board, as I am following it from last 3 weeks such that I can finalise a good car at good price. As its my first car, I learnt more or less everything about car shopping on this site, thanks once again.
  • barnabarna Member Posts: 3
    Hello Car Man,

We are in about to lease a VW Passat 2006 2.0 T Package #1. Do you think this deal is OK?

MSRP 27.415
    Acqui. Fee 575.00
    Int CAP 26.025
    Residual (%) 14.804 (54%)
    Money Factor 0.00099
    Registration fee: 150.00
    Insp fee: 10.00
    Doc. fee: 45.00
    Term in months: 36
    Annual Mileage 10,000
    Monthly payment 352.11
    Money due at start: 2,206.22 (includes tax, 1st month, reg fee, inspe. fee and documents fee)
    disposal fee: 350.00

We also hear that if we wait until October we will get better leasing deals. Is that true?? Much Thanks,

Elyse
  • cheepcheep Member Posts: 4
    Car man, do you have the residual and money factor on 2007 Passat Sedans? I'm looking for 15k miles/yr on a 2.0T. Thanks.
  • eseireseir Member Posts: 26
    Looking to purchase one of these. All three are offering great Deals. I can get a 3.6 with Pack 1 for 27K plus Tax, Tille, and fees. Both the the TL and the G35 for about $3000 more plus the fees. Both the Passat and the TL seem much more upscale on the inside than the G35. Both the TL and the G35 are entry levels luxury vehicles and the dealer experience will be the same. Both are Japanese and perhaps more reliable over the long run even though all three offer similar warranties. THe Passat reminds me a lot of my current 03 Audi A6, which is a good thing. A nice driving and powerful machine and the price seems good for such a nice vehicle. But the Passat might suffer in resale value so eventually I might get more for the [non-permissible content removed] brands. Dont' Know. Oh Decisions decisions and more dicisions. ANyone out there with a 3.6 passat willing to share their experiences?
  • bronsonbbronsonb Member Posts: 170
    I am getting close to the end of my 48 month lease on my 2003 Passat Wagon (GLS - 1.8 T), and so far the experience has been pretty good. I had the pre-termination inspection done Monday and was pleasantly surprised that the only items the company wants to charge me for are a plugged windshield (bullseye repaired) and one alloy wheel with really bad fender rash (trying to get close enough to the card reader at my parking deck and got too close).

They identified lots of dents and dings (more than I think are truly there...and I looked closely), but all are marked as "No charge." I had expected two dings on the hood to get me, but she marked those no charge as well.

The two items they want to charge me for are both covered by the excess wear and tear policy that is included in my lease (which VW tried to charge me for, but when I walked out, they offered to toss it in at the same price).

Anyway, I had heard horror stories of people being forced to take their car to the dealer for service and stuff like that before they could get clearance to turn the car in. I had all of my records ready to as I do my own oil changes, air filters, and the like and never take my car to VW as they are too pricey and take far too long (the price doesn't get me as much as "all day" for an oil change).

Anyway, had all of that documentation ready to go to prove I'd done the factory maintenance, and the lady only asked the mileage and date for my last service.

I am well under my allotted miles and have scheduled the turn in date as well. So at this moment, it looks like this should be relatively painless. I have, of course, opted not to buy the car as we've really outgrown it and are moving into SUV territory...and the overpriced Toureg just doesn't cut it for me.

We'll still have my wife's 1999 Passat GLS V6 - 109K miles and still going strong!

Take care all!
    Hello Elyse. I believe that the car that you described has a spread of just over $2,000 between its full MSRP and dealer invoice price. You were quoted a discount of $1,390 on this car, which is probably right around $600 over invoice. This is a reasonable price for a lease of this car. The money factor that you were quoted for this car is right in line with VW Credit's lease program for it, so this aspect of your deal is good as well. Both of the main profit centers on leases, the money factor and selling price, look good to me. If you like this car, I personally do not see any reason not to pull the trigger on this deal. Volkswagen's September lease program for this model is scheduled to run through October 2nd. It is difficult to say what its new October lease program for this car will be like. If you check back with me late this week I would be happy to tell you want this car's new lease program is.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Here's the information that you are looking for cheep. You never mentioned how long you want to lease this car for, so for now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease. Through October 2nd, Volkswagen Credit's buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 Passat 2.0T Sedan with 15,000 miles per year are .00191 and 55%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Welcome eseir. This particular discussion is for community members to discuss leasing the Volkswagen Passat. You will have better luck getting owners' opinions of the Passat 3.6 if you visit the following discussion: "Volkswagen Passat 2006+". If you have any specific questions about leasing this car I would be happy to answer them here for you.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • barnabarna Member Posts: 3
    thank you car man. i will check back later this week.
  • big_al1big_al1 Member Posts: 2
    Car_man:
    Im trying to purchase a 2006 Passat 2.0T. Do you know if there are any incentive programs to purchase a 2006? If not, can you explain the advantages (or disadvantages) to purchase a year-old car (2006) vs. a new car (2007).

Thanks
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Glad to hear your turn in experience is going well so far. What dealer are you working with? My lease is up in another year and a half!
    No problem, barna.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi Big Al. Through October 2nd, Volkswagen was providing $2,500 dealer cash on the 2006 Passat 2.0T Sedan. I have not seen if that incentive was extended for the month of October, but I assume that it was. If I was in the market for a new Passat right now and I wanted to lease I would go with a 2007 model because its lease program is more attractive right now. If I decided to finance or pay cash for my new car I probably would go with a 2006 Passat because one should be able to negotiate a lower selling price on a leftover 2006 model given dealers' desire to clear their old inventory off of their lots and this car's dealer cash.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
This discussion has been closed.