Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Volkswagen Touareg Lease Questions

CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
edited February 2014 in Volkswagen
Hi everyone. Please use the following discussion to post any questions that you have about leasing a Volkswagen Touareg. Thanks.

Car_man
Host
Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums

Comments

• kg6ckg6c Member Posts: 18
    Could the host plese help me with my dilemma. I was able to negotiate $7000 of sticker for a V6 T-Reg and $10,000 for a V8 T-Reg. The problem I am having is that I do not want to finance this. So can someone please tell me how I can can translate these savings into a good lease. The dealer is saying that he cannot make the price less than invoice, for lease purposes. Please can someone give advice on this. It will be a huge help.

Thanks
    K
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi kg6c. The reason why you were able to negotiate such large discounts on these trucks is that Volkswagen is currently providing $3,000 dealer cash on 2005 Touareg V6 and $4,000 on '05 Touareg V8 models. Unfortunately, the attractive selling prices that you were able to negotiate are not available on leases of these trucks because VW's dealer cash is not available on vehicles that are leased through VW Credit. Its cash incentives on leases of these trucks through VW Credit are $1,000 on Touareg V6 models & $1,550 on touareg V8 models. If you lease either of them through VW Credit, you will have to renegotiate your selling prices using this cash, rather than the higher dealer cash allowances. Try to negotiate selling prices as close to dealer invoice as possible before the deduction of any available incentives. I would be happy to help you approximate how much it will cost you to lease these trucks for you if you provide me with their full MSRPs (including destination charges), approximate selling prices, how long you want to lease for, and how many miles per year you need to be able to drive them.

Car_man
    Host
  • tdo123tdo123 Member Posts: 102
    Carman

Could you please give me some insight on VW's for 2006. I have heard that there are some incentives on the V8 in the US.

Here is what I have been able to get from the dealer:

V8 Touareg MSRP list at $56,175 (including destination) and the invoice is $51,140 (including advertising, int. reserve and a $25 port charge).

The dealer finally came back to me and said that they would do $1200 over invoice. I don't think there are any incentives behind that number. Can you give me some advice on Leasing this? Expected residuals, pricing, etc.?
  • liz9liz9 Member Posts: 1
    What are the chances of finding a Touareg 3 year lease for $350/month or less all inclusive with no money down? 2005 or 2006 ok. Am I being unreasonable?
    Hi tdo123. Volkswagen is not currently providing any sort of cash incentives on the 2006 Touareg. It is providing lease support on it though. $1,200 over invoice is a reasonable price for this truck, but I would not be surprised if you were able to beat it. You may want to stop by the following discussion to see if any other community members have purchased similar trucks lately: "Volkswagen Touareg: Prices Paid & Buying Experience". I would be more than happy to give you an idea of what this truck's current lease program is like and even calculate a sample lease payment on it for you if you let me know how long you want to lease it for and how many miles per year you need to be able to drive it.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello liz9. We can calculate how much the Touareg that you are interested in will cost to lease if you provide me with the full MSRP (including destination charge) and an approximate selling price for the exact truck that you want.

Car_man
    Host
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    This is the begining of the model year, so don't expect 8k off list on new 2006 V8 T REG just yet.

As for leasing, you can use a diffenent bank other than VCI credit and still use the dealer cash. Lots of dealers use companies like US Bank and other top credit leasing companies.

But an 05 model is already a year old, so it may not lease out as well as a 2006 model, even though the 06 has a higher cap cost and selling price.
  • guthrieguthrie Member Posts: 1
    Hi Carman
    Currently I am leasing a 2004 VW Touareg. I have 18 more lease payments to go with 15000 miles per year. Odometer current read is 27230. Residual on the Treg is 20200 and the pay off is 34100. Monthly payments are 591.00. Unfortunately, my job has changed and my use of mileage on the remainder of the 18 months is a concern. Do I have to make up the remainder of the lease payments to get out of this lease? What type of early lease termination fees will VW charge me? Will I get a "break" from the VW dealer if I return and purchase another VW...at the same dealer that I originally purchased from? Not sure If I gave you enough information to help me out. Not sure if you can even help me..... Really concerned here...and will most certainly never lease again!
    I appreciate the help!
    JG :cry:
  • panzerpanzer Member Posts: 125
    I am not an expert on leasing, but it seems like the best course of action is to buy the car at the end of the lease for the residual or whatever they will sell it to you for, rather than worry about the miles. The residual value is not bad for a 3 year old car. You will get hosed if you are way over miles and turn the car in.
  • richleasequestrichleasequest Member Posts: 4
    Can anyone give me any current news? Thx Guys! Rich

Sept05:
    36mo's 2005 Touareg V6 AWD w/leather/roof/metallic/heated seats/trip computer

$504.99/monthly Including CT Sales Tax

12,000 miles/yr

Total Driveaway Upfront 1169.00

Leather Package 3.

Extra Keyless Remote Fob at No Charge

Full gas tank

First Maintainance & Oil Free

Full Gap insurance included

VW Credit Corp. Lease

Metallic exterior vehicle
  • richneedsaleasrichneedsaleas Member Posts: 40
    36 mos along with first payment due at signing. 0 down $563.97 with first payment only due at signing for your 12k a year.
    Toureg V8 2005 with the Nav system
    Any comments out there to share? The Lexus offers better svc, but this seems pretty heavy duty by comparision
    Hi guthrie. I am sorry to say that it is usually fairly expensive to get out of leases well before their scheduled end dates. In order to do so, you need to purchase the vehicle that you are currently leasing from the bank that you are leasing it through. It often turns out that it costs more to do so than your vehicle is worth on the open market. Furthermore, many banks expect consumers who end their leases early to still make all, or at least the depreciation portion of their remaining lease payments. As you can see, this can get very expensive.

You can determine approximately how much it will cost you to get out of your current lease by comparing its purchase price to its value on the open market at this time. You should place a call to the bank that you are leasing your vehicle through to find out its exact price. Once you know exactly how much money it is going to cost you to buy your leased vehicle you need to compare it to its current value on the open market. You can find out approximately what your vehicle is worth by looking up its Edmunds.com True Market Value in the Used Vehicle Pricing section of this site. You also may want to stop by the following discussion: "Real-World Trade-In Values". One of our most knowledgeable community members, Terry, frequents that discussion and he is often kind enough to give community members who give him an accurate description of their vehicles with his opinion on their value. Don't forget to check to see if you are still on the hook for your remaining lease payments. The difference between your leased vehicle's current value and how much it will cost you to buy it plus any remaining lease payments that you are obligated to pay will equal the cost of getting out of your lease right now. You may find that you are better off waiting until you are closer to the scheduled end of your lease to get another new vehicle.

You will be able to avoid paying an excess mileage penalty by purchasing your leased vehicle and trading it in or selling it on your own, but it is difficult to say whether the amount of money that getting out of your lease early will cost you will exceed your mileage penalty. Unfortunately, this transaction is completely between you and VW Credit and dealers do not have the ability to give you any sort of "break."

Car_man
    Host
    Hi richneedsaleas. You never mentioned the selling price or MSRP of the truck that you are interested in leasing. These are important numbers for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing this truck's selling price in relation to its MSRP you don't know how much of a discount you are getting on it. The second reason is that one needs the selling price and MSRP, including the destination charge, of a vehicle to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion of this deal if you let me know what these numbers are.

Car_man
    Host
  • rlfltdrlfltd Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in your offer. Can I request more information?
  • blane1blane1 Member Posts: 3
    What is the current residual for 24 and 36 month 15k year V-8 Toureg? What is the money factor on same with high credit score?

Thanks
    Greetings blane1. If you were to lease a 2006 Volkswagen Touareg V8 through VW Credit right now for 24 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00137 and 60%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease should be .00137 and 53%.

Car_man
    Host
  • jksledsonjksledson Member Posts: 14
    06 Touareg, V6, Pkg 3

15K yr, 39 mth lease.

For 39 mth lease, money factor is .00155 and residual is 54%. Do those numbers sound correct?

Why don't they offer me 36 mth instead?

Are acquisition fees negotiable?

Any help is appreciated.
  • jabberjabber Member Posts: 64
    Carman,

Can you provide VW lease terms for a 2006 Touareg V6:

36 Month Residuals and Money Factors for both 12K and 15K miles/yr.

Acquisition Fee?

Disposition Fee?

Overmileage charges?

Also, are there any incentives/rebates not shown here on Edmunds or any other lease subsidies?

Thanks in advance.
  • andyflandyfl Member Posts: 1
    CARMAN,

I'm interested in the same #'s as jabber, except on a 2005 V6. 36 month, residuals and MF for 12K and 15K.

Looking to make a deal before the end of the week! Thank you in advance.
    Hi jksledson. I don't know if you have already leased the Touareg that you were considering, but VW's lease money factors for it are much lower in January than they were in December. If you were to lease a 2006 VW Touareg V6 through VW Credit right now for 36 months (they are pushing 36 instead of 39 month leases this month) with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00048 and 52%, respectively.

Lease acquisition fees are charged by banks and individual dealers do not have any authority to lower or waive them. Dealers are sometimes allowed to "mark-up" banks' acquisition fees though to add additional hidden profit to deals. I believe that VW Credit's base lease acquisition fee is currently $575. Make sure that you don't pay any more than that.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi jabber. I just mentioned the lease money factor and 15,000 mile per year residual value for the model that you are considering in my previous post. The only difference between those numbers and the lease that you want is that VW Credit's 12,000 mile per year residual values would be 2% higher.

Volkswagen is currently providing $1,000 dealer cash on the '06 Touareg V6 and $1,500 on the V8, however this dealer cash is not compatible with VW Credit's special lease program.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi andyfl. Unfortunately, Volkswagen is no longer providing any sort of lease support on 2005 models. If you still want to lease this truck, you will have to do so through an independent bank.

Car_man
    Host
  • pbjesterpbjester Member Posts: 3
    Hello Car_man or anyone, I'm looking for any information on terms to expect for a 2006 Touareg V6 or V8 with at least Package #2 on each? I was quoted 420 per month $1999 out of pocket 12K miles per year 36 month term for the V6.

I'm comparing to 2006 Volvo XC90 2.5 with Premium, Versatility (3rd row) for $0 down $485 per month 12K per year 36 months. I have already found a dealer willing to keep this offer for February.

Thank you pbjester
  • acm741acm741 Member Posts: 7
    I'm in CT and have been quoted the following - Car_man (or anyone else) could you please comment on this?

* 2006 Touareg V-6 with Package #3
    * MSRP $42,265
    * $1699 due at signing / no cap cost reduction
    * 0.00063 MF
    * 52% residual
    * payment = $587 per month (including taxes - 6% in CT)

By my math this is about $2,800 off of MSRP. I feel like the residual and money factor are reasonable but should I be asking for more off the MSRP? I can't find dealer invoice information on the Touareg. Thanks!
  • womblewomble Member Posts: 28
    car man... what is the current money factor and residual on a 2006 touareg, v8 with package #3. 12,000 miles. I'm in CA and hear the touareg's are not selling well due to fuel economy. 3 year lease... THANKS
  • pilpil Member Posts: 4
    Will I get a better lease deal if I wiat for the '07s? Will there be a price increase? Or will I get a better lease deal on an '06? I would be looking at the base V6.
    Hello pbjester. If you were to lease a 2006 VW Touareg V6 through VW Credit right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00029 and 53%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a V8 should be .00029 and 52%. If you provide me with the MSRP and approximate selling price of the truck or trucks that you want, I'd be happy to work up some lease payments on it for you.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi acm741. $2,800 off of MSRP is a pretty good price for this truck. It is probably around $600 to $700 or so over dealer invoice, which isn't bad. For additional feedback on how much you should pay for this truck right now, you may want to stop by the following discussion: "Volkswagen Touareg: Prices Paid & Buying Experience".

VW Credit's March lease program for this truck is different than it was last month. You never mentioned how long this lease is or how many miles per year you need to be allowed to drive, so for now I will assume that you want a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. If you were to lease an '06 Touareg V6 through it right now for 36 months with 15k miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00029 and 51%, respectively. Make sure that the dealer you are working with uses these numbers to calculate your truck's lease payment.

You can find the dealer invoice information that you were looking for by visiting the following section of this site: Volkswagen Touareg V6 Pricing Page.

Car_man
    Host
    Here you go, womble. If you were to lease a 2006 Volkswagen Touareg V8 through VW Credit right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00029 and 52%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi pil. Without knowing what the price of the 2007 Touareg is like yet and what its lease program will be like, it is difficult to say if it will be more or less expensive to lease than the 2006 model is right now. If I had to make an educated guess, I'd say that the '06 model is probably less expensive right now then the '07 model will be for the first several months that it is out, but again it is difficult to say for certain.

Car_man
    Host
  • ymacymac Member Posts: 1
    hey carman .. I'm looking at both the V-6 and V-8 Touareg .. 36 or 39 month term .. .15,000K miles/year. Could you please tell me what the money factor and residual would be on the V6 & V8? What kind of down payment would I need to get my lease payment to $450 and lower???

my purchase price on the V8 touareg, package#2 is $44,200. Does that price sound good to you or do I need to do more negotiating?

And the dealer is trying to push me toward a ballon rather than a lease. I'm not familiar with the balloon but they say everything's the same as a lease, but the rates are better. here's what they're offering .. 36-mth, 15K miles, 50% residual, 3.06% rate. Sounds too good to be true?
    Hi ymac. If you were to lease a 2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 through VW Credit right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00029 and 51%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a V8 model should be .00029 and 50%.

In your post you asked how much of a down payment you would need to get your monthly payment below a certain level. I always advise consumers against making any sort of down payment when leasing. I do so for two main reasons. The first is if your vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen during your lease, your down payment essentially disappears. The second main reason is that down payments on leased vehicles do nothing to reduce their lease-end purchase prices. So your lease-end purchase option price for your Touareg would be exactly the same, regardless of whether you had put several thousand dollars down, or had made absolutely no down payment at all. You would be better off going with a slightly higher monthly payment and no down payment.

For feedback on the price that you were quoted for this truck, try stopping by the following discussion: "Volkswagen Touareg: Prices Paid & Buying Experience".

Balloon notes are indeed very similar to leases. Both provide consumers with low monthly payments and the option to purchase their vehicle for a specific price after a specific period of time. The main difference between balloon notes and leases is that with leases the bank's name is on a vehicle's title, while with balloon notes yours is. I don't see any reason why a balloon note would have a significantly lower monthly payment for this model than a lease would. Banks' lease programs and balloon note programs usually provide fairly similar monthly payments. The only reason that I can think of why the balloon note would be more attractive is if you are in a state that has tax laws that charge less for balloon notes than for leases.

Car_man
    Host
  • rbirns1rbirns1 Member Posts: 311
    With balloon financing, you are also paying sales tax on the entire purchase price. Leases only charge tax on the lease payments. Also, self-employed and small business owners often lease cars to write off the lease payments. Balloon payments are not deductible, though business owners may be able to book the asset and write off the depreciation.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about any of this.
  • cursichellacursichella Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

Last year (August '05), we leased a Touareg and after a few months learned that the lease financing had been obtained using a social security number that wasn't mine.
    We've decided to buy, versus lease it, but are perplexed that the purchase price will now be around 10K higher than the original sale price.

The new invoice charges us for:
    "cash price assessories" $995.00
    new service contract $2500.00
    "tire and wheel" $659.00
    new Gap insurance (two separate entries)
    ANFS for 599.00 plus
    VCP 1080.00
    new license fees $321.00
    The bank payoff is $38,641.00

They want $6,000.00 down and our new amount to be financed is $42,151.00. Total cost 48,151.00

Shouldn't something be refundable from the original lease? Shouldn't GAP insurance or warranty stay with the car?? I'd be grateful for any input at all.

Thanks!
  • mnarowandmnarowand Member Posts: 3
    I have been quoted a base V8 with MSRP appx 45K to lease with the following numbers:
    - Priced at $41,500
    - 12K miles / 36 month
    - sign and drive
    - .00036 money factor
    - 51% residual
    - monthly payment at $548.00

Can anyone (Car_Man?) advise if this looks like a good deal?

Thanks,
    Hi cursichella. This certainly is a strange situation. Are you saying that you are trying to purchase your leased vehicle now? It is usually very expensive to get out of leases well before their scheduled end dates. This is probably why you are being charged to much for your Touareg. Your least expensive option would be to continue leasing your truck. See if VW Credit is willing to let you do so. It's not fair that you are being penalized and have to pay so much money because someone at the dealer or VW Credit made a mistake when entering your SSN into the system.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi mnarowand. The money factor that you were quoted looks a little high to me. VW Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month, 12,000 mile per year lease of a 2006 Touareg V8 are .00021 and 51%, respectively. Are you paying both a security deposit and VW Credit's $575 acquisition fee at lease signing. If not, this might explain why the money factor that you were quoted is higher. VW Credit will waive its security deposit requirement in exchange for an increase of 00015 in your vehicle's money factor and its acquisition fee in exchange for an .00060 increase. If you are paying both of these items, then the dealer that you are working with may be marking your vehicle's money factor up to add additional back-end profit to your deal.

As far as the selling price that you were quoted goes, there is a spread of a little over $4,000 between this truck's base MSRP and dealer invoice prices. You are being given a $3,500 discount on the truck that you are interested in. This sounds reasonable to me, but you may want to stop by the following discussion to see how much other community members have paid for similar trucks lately: "Volkswagen Touareg: Prices Paid & Buying Experience".

Car_man
    Host
  • mnarowandmnarowand Member Posts: 3
    Thanks a ton for the response!

The dealer is offering a true "sign & drive" - no acquisition and no security deposit. Is that worth the extra money factor?

Thanks again!
    You're very welcome, mnarowand. I personally would rather pay the security deposit and acquisition fee at lease signing and have a more reasonable monthly payment, but there's nothing wrong with having either of these charges waived.

Car_man
    Host
    Thanks so much for your reply. Wells Fargo is cancelling the lease contract and financing and told the dealer to start over. So basically, the dealer has the car back once our new financing pays it off. Since we're back to square one, we decided to by it instead of leasing it again. Financing is being done by another bank.
    You're welcome, cursichella. Since your original contract is completely void, you aren't obligated to keep your Touareg if you are not comfortable with its new selling price. Make sure not to over pay for it.

Car_man
    Host
    Does it make sense to you that if we were to pay off the car in cash, all we'd have to pay would be whatever the bank payoff is; but, since we're financing it, we need to buy new gap insurance, sales tax and extended warranties and treat it as if it's a new car? And if we do that, should we expect to be refunded whatever years remain unused of the warranty(ies) and gap insurance?
    Thanks! (Sorry for the 20 questions but I'm getting more and more confused.)
  • digitalsantodigitalsanto Member Posts: 2
    '06 Touareg V6
    MSRP $41,918- (package 2 + roof rack, cd changer, tire monitor)
    36 months, 15k miles
    0 down- (sign and drive with no fees, no charges)
    $548 + tax/month

thanks
    Hi cursichella. Under normal circumstances, if you paid cash for your truck, all you would have to pay is its price. If you finance it, you may want to include gap insurance to prevent you from being upside down on your vehicle if something bad happens, but I don't believe that you are required to get gap. Some banks automatically include it on leases. You aren't entitled to a gap insurance refund for your previous deal unless you paid extra for it. The same goes for the warranty. You won't be entitled to a refund unless you purchased an extended warranty. Even if you paid extra for both of these items, refund policies vary from company to company so I don't know exactly how much you would be able to get back.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forums
    Hello digitalsanto. You never mentioned the selling price of the Touareg that you are interested in leasing. This is an important number for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing the price of the truck that you want to lease you don't know how good a price you are getting it for. The second reason is that one needs the selling price of a vehicle that they want to lease is that it is necessary to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion of this deal if you let me know what the selling price is.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forums
  • mlroberts55mlroberts55 Member Posts: 5
    I got a lease quote from the dealer with the folling information.
    Price 41265
    Term 36 mths
    Residual .49
    acq fee 575
    MF .00121
    15,000 miles per yr
    $694.00 per month

is this a good deal? if not, what would be? also, there is a 1,000 manufacturer to dealer incentive. i know this can be subtracted from the invoice but what should i negotiate for the price of the car? the invoice for the car is 38,707.
  • dutchtouaregdutchtouareg Member Posts: 2
    dealer told me the offer will expire today 8PM ct. apparently they have a tax savings special and they want to get rid of 06 models.
    this is the offer on an 06 , sticker USD 47,415 minus USD 6000 off.
    36 months, 15k mls/yr, 0 down, residual .49% and money factor .001 uSD 634/mo.
    is this a good deal?
    I prefer not to make a rush decission moreso because my wife's other lease does not expire until Oct this year.
    we really like the V8 though and wonder if we decide to wait until Oct we will still be able to get such a deal (or better).
    can ou help me with some advise?
    thanks in advance.
    Hi mlroberts55. Volkswagen is providing dealer cash on the 2006 Touareg, however this dealer cash is not compatible with VW Credit's special lease program. So you can't use it to negotiate a lower capitalized cost for your lease. The money factor that you were quoted looks a little high to me. If you were to lease a 2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 through VW Credit right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00059 and 48%, respectively. If you provide me with this truck's full MSRP, I'd be happy to use this program to estimate what your truck's monthly payment should be. Right now I can tell you that the $2,500 over dealer invoice that you are paying is a little high. You may want to stop by the following discussion to see how much other community members have paid for similar trucks: "Volkswagen Touareg: Prices Paid & Buying Experience".

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forums
  • capodannocapodanno Member Posts: 2
    Good deal?
    V6 base model touareg
    $436.33 monthly (includes 7.25% tax)
    36 months
    12k miles
    $4000 drive off
    .00059 cost of money
    50% residual ($18,997)

They mentioned this is $500 over invoice.

I'm curious about the residual--shouldn't it be a little less than the quotes of 49% I've seen here, since I only want a 12,000 mile lease?

What about the drive off?

This would be my first lease, and I very much appreciate all I'm learning from this site and other peoples experiences. Lots of different areas to worry about! I'm not exactly sure how residual and drive off relate to each other? :P
  • dsnow77dsnow77 Member Posts: 3
    I got a quote today from a dealer but it sounds too good to be true.

06 V6 touareg with Package #4
    MSRP $45,628
    They said they'd lower that amount to $500 over invoice
    36 month term
    10,000 miles per year
    $1,394 down

$465/month with tax included

I dont know if this guy is just trying to get me into the dealership or maybe prices are low now??

Any feedback appreciated. I am going to their dealership tomorrow which is about an hour from me.
This discussion has been closed.