Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S40 Lease Questions

Comments

• jobuallijobualli Member Posts: 13
    Dear Car-Man,

After another day of haggling, this is where I currently stand with 36-month, 15,000 miles/year lease quotes from two different dealers (this is for an '07 S40 T5 AWD, Prem Pkg, Audio Pkg, Climate Pkg, Metallic Paint and Sirius Radio @ MSRP $34,375):

Dealer A - cap cost $26,209 - residual value 44% ($15,125) - money factor 0.00250 - total up-front money $1352 - total monthly payment (with 10% use tax) $452.

Dealer B - cap cost $27,462 - residual value 48.64% ($16,719) - money factor: 0.00250 - total up-front money $1357 - total monthly payment $437.

How can two dealers in the same area (Pittsburgh, PA) give me two different residual values for the same car? They both seem low compared to what I have been reading on here. Dealer A claims that Dealer B is clearly using faulty numbers, that they have a history of these kinds of stunts, and will likely pull a bait and switch on me, changing the deal with correct numbers when the time comes.

Dealer A seems to have better service and has a better overall "feel" to me than Dealer B (for example, Dealer B seemed ultra secretive, not allowing me to take a copy of their detailed lease quote with me), but is this worth $15 a month more?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • cheapskate87cheapskate87 Member Posts: 1
    Jobualli,

I am looking at the S40i with select and climate package at dealers in Pgh and I got $398 with tax 36/15K $1300 at siging with an msrp of $28,335, no negotiation yet just an email quote. This is from Bill Gray, where are your quotes from? I want the awd but wanted a base point for the price with s40i before I asked for the AWD pricing. I have dealt with bill gray in the past and they were all pretty honest people and were pretty no nonsense, I have not dealt with any of the other dealers yet so I will find out their pricing in the next few days.
  • mccourtmccourt Member Posts: 1
    I received the following lease offer for a 2007 S40 T5 AWD automatic with climate and premium packages:

36 months, 10k miles per year, $1,200 for initial fees (bank, motor vehicle & doc fees) + first month, $0 additional down. The money factor used is .00217 and the residual is $17,573.

For $336/month (incl tax) is this is a good deal?
    Cheapskate,

I put a deposit on a deal with BG on Saturday. I am glad to hear that you have had good experience with them. I will be sure to let you know how mine goes, once I have taken delivery, etc. I think my initial lack of trust was partly due to never dealing with them before and partly due to the tactics their competitor was playing. I am happy with how things have gone so far. Stay tuned...
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi bigdummy77. I would be happy to give you my opinion of this deal. However, it would be a big help if you were able to provide me with its selling price first. Once I know what its price is I can tell you what I think of it and use it to calculate what this car's monthly payment should be.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Greetings jobualli. You never mentioned the selling price or MSRP of the car that you are interested in leasing. These are important numbers for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing this car's selling price in relation to its MSRP you don't know how much of a discount you are getting on it. The second reason is that one needs the selling price and MSRP, including the destination charge, of a vehicle to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion of these deals if you let me know what these numbers are.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hey jobualli. It does not appear as though the leases that you were quoted are bring run through Volvo Finance. Volvo Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 S40 T5 AWD with 15,000 miles per year are an amazing .00001 and 51%, respectively. The deals that you were quoted are probably being run through an independent bank. Volvo dealers sometimes run leases through independent banks instead of Volvo Finance because Volvo provides special cash incentives on leases of its models through independent banks. Specifically, Volvo is currently providing a $5,500 cash incentive on leases of 2007 S40 T5 AWD models that are leased through any bank other than Volvo Finance. Make sure to use this cash to negotiate an extremely low capitalized cost for your lease.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi mccourt. You never mentioned the selling price or MSRP of the car that you are interested in leasing. These are important numbers for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing this car's selling price in relation to its MSRP you don't know how much of a discount you are getting on it. The second reason is that one needs the selling price and MSRP, including the destination charge, of a vehicle to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion of this deal if you let me know what these numbers are.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • lesvolvos40lesvolvos40 Member Posts: 2
    Car_Man,

I am in the market to get a 2006 or 2007 S40 (any model) for $300 a month or less. The only things I need are automatic and heated seats.

It would seem based on previous posts that Volvo is offering some handsome incentives ($5,500 cash incentive on leases of 2007 S40 T5 AWD models that are leased through any bank other than Volvo Finance) which may make the T5 more affordable that the 2.4i. Few questions.

1) Are there any incentive in ohio (columbus) on a 2006 or 2007 2.4i? Is the incentives on the T5 available in this market?

2) What is the residual I can use (36 month, 12k miles) for both a 2.4i and T5 (again, only automatic and heated seats needed).

3) What is the money factor I can use assuming Volvo finances the car.

Do you think I can achieve my $300 or less goal?

Thanks
  • bigdummy77bigdummy77 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the response. I wasn't really going to the dealer with the intention of leasing, so I don't have an actual selling price. I can tell you the MSRP on the car was $29,300.
  • volvo4lifevolvo4life Member Posts: 5
    lesvolvos40,

I do not know if you can achieve that goal in Columbus, but I know Bill Gray Volvo in Pittsburgh has that very car sitting right on their showroom floor. I also think your goal of $300 a month is attainable under the right conditions.

If I were you I would call Bill Gray Volvo and talk to their most tenured salesman. I cannot give you his name on this site, but he has a Polish last name. He may be able to make it worth the trip!

Volvo4life
    Hi Car-Man,

Here are the details of the lease that I was able to arrange for the '07 S40 T5 AWD with climate, premium and audio packages and Sirius radio:

MSRP: $34,375
    Cap cost: $27,462
    Residual: 48.6% ($16,719)
    Money factor: 0.00224
    Due at signing: $1357
    Monthly pmt: $397 + $40 (PA use tax)

You are right, this is not through Volvo Finance, but is through US Bank according to the dealer.
    lesvolvos40,

I concur - it would be worth your trip to visit Bill Gray in Pittsburgh (a few hours away from Columbus). I put a deposit on an S40 T5 AWD with them. They have been a pleasure to deal with so far and blew away the best quotes I received from two other dealers. I have gone to Ohio myself to make a car purchase (BMW 3-series) in the past, and it was very worth it. Good luck!
  • bamboo4bamboo4 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Carman,
    I'm looking to lease a 2007 Volvo S40 4D Sedan T5 Leather/sunroof, automatic. I live in Portland, Oregon. This is the deal I got from a dealer. Original MSRP: $25,385.00, Customer Cash Rebate: $2,500, Residual Value (49%) $12,438.65, 10,500 miles/yr, adjusted residual value: $12,692.50. It is for 36 months and with payment of $298.73/month. I believe it's a USB - Lease Program Tier 1 - Bureau Score 700+ - Zero Sec. Dep.

Please advise me if it's a good deal for me to enter. Thank you very much for your assistance.
    Bamboo4
  • bpadill2bpadill2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Car-man,

I am in the process of leasing the volvo S40 2.4i. I need an automatic with just the basic features. Also, I need 20,000 miles each year. One dealer quoted me $412.00 each month with nothing down for a 36 month lease. Is this a fair offer?
    Hi lesvolvos40. Volvo is no longer providing lease support on 2006 S40 models, but it is providing $3,000 closeout dealer cash on it. Volvo is currently providing a $3,000 cash incentive on 2007 S40 2.4i and $4,500 on S40 T5 models that are leased through independent banks. I do not believe that it has cash incentives for these models when they are leased through Volvo Finance, but it does have a special lease program available on them. Volvo Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 S40 2.4i with 12,000 miles per year are .00052 and 55%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a 2007 S40 T5 2WD are .00022 and 54%. These money factors are very attractive. It is difficult to say what these cars' monthly payments will be without knowing what their MSRPs and selling prices are. If you provide me with these numbers I would be happy to estimate some lease payments for you.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    You're welcome, bigdummy77. It is very important that you find out this car's selling price. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash or financing it. You wouldn't pay cash for a car without asking its price. This is the same thing. Without knowing what this car's selling price is, it's difficult to tell how good a deal you are getting on it. Find out what this number is and compare it to the prices that other community members have paid for similar cars by visiting the following discussion: "Volvo S40: Prices Paid & Buying Experience".

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Greetings bamboo4. Volvo is currently providing a $4,500 incentive on S40 T5 2WD models that are leased through independent banks. If you are only getting $2,500 of it, you can do better. Furthermore, the selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. So, you should be able to get the entire $4,500 off of this car's price and then at least negotiate another $1,000 discount off of this car's price. You should either renegotiate with this dealer or comparison shop a little bit.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi bpadill2. You never mentioned the selling price or MSRP of the car that you are interested in leasing. These are important numbers for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing this car's selling price in relation to its MSRP you don't know how much of a discount you are getting on it. The second reason is that one needs the selling price and MSRP, including the destination charge, of a vehicle to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion of this deal if you let me know what these numbers are.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • cdt1cdt1 Member Posts: 10
    I'm trying to lease a 2007 T5 2WD with audio package and sirius, premium package, climate package, keyless drive and xenon headlights. I'm leasing this for 36 months, 12k per year. Here's what they quoted me:
    MSRP $34,662
    Price $28,927 (this included the $4500 incentive)
    Proc Fee $1,095
    Lic/Title $246.50
    Acq Fee $49.50
    Net Cap Cost $31,258.30
    Residual 49%
    Money Factor .00214
    Payment $499.72

Obviously this payment is alot higher than I expected to get. I need some help here. Did I get quoted a decent price for the car? What about that $1,095 processing fee?
    The residual also seemed a little low to me.

If Car_man or anyone else can help, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Chris
  • hatl22hatl22 Member Posts: 1
    Hello to all,
    I am interested in a Volvo in Minneapolis. There is a 2006 S40 T5 2WD for sale at a dealer in the area for $27,500. It is new (not a program return or anything), so I am hoping to work out a nice lease for around/under $300/mo. Is this unreasonable given that there aren't incentives or lease support for 2006s now? Or has there been a change? How should I proceed? What should I expect from a bank financed lease (loans for cars in MN are typically a percentage or so higher than the national average, guessing lease money factors are, too?)? The model I am interested in has manual transmission, climate pkg, premium pkg, audio pkg, and traction control. Would it be smarter for me to look at 2007 T5 AWDs? Prices on 2007s at the same dealer are $33,260 and $34,925 for models similarly equipped to the 2006 I like. My credit isn't the greatest (less than 700, over 650). Can I do it?
  • c_anvilc_anvil Member Posts: 4
    I am looking for help in reviewing a lease offer that I have been quoted for an S40 2.4i in St. Louis, MO.

Electric Silver Metalic, Automatic, T-Tec,Sunroof, Select Package, Climate Package.
    MSRP - $29,605 - Their Offer $24.995
    Net Cap Cost - $25,590
    Lease Term - 36 Months / 15,000 Miles Per Year
    Money Factor - .00223
    Residual - $14,507 + Lender sets a nominal purchase or disposition fee.
    Monthly Payment - $396+ Tax (Approx 7.5% depending on residence zip code)
    No Down Payment
    Due at Lease Signing - $476 (1st pymt. + $50 License)

I feel that this is a relatively good deal especially with no down payment. I am wondering if there is any room for me to negotiate a better purchase price. Is there any information that anyone can provide me to possibly negotiate the price down about a $1,000 to $23,995 and get the payments under $400 per month with no money down. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Hi Chris. I see that you are leasing this car through an independent bank rather than VW Credit so that you can take advantage of the special $4,500 cash incentive. The price that you were quoted for this car looks pretty good to me. It's probably around $500 over invoice or so once the cash incentive is backed out, which is a good deal. I'm not sure what the $1,095 "Processing Fee" is though. If this is something like a "doc fee" that is being tacked on by your dealer, it's nothing more than added profit and this deal isn't that good. If it is an acquisition fee that is being charged by the bank that you are leasing through, it is necessary, but still way too high. Most banks charge an acquisition fee of around $600 or so on leases.

The payment that you were quoted is probably within a few dollars of what it would cost to lease this car through Volvo Finance right now without the $4,500. While I wouldn't say that this is a "good" deal in the sense that I would never pay $500 a month to lease Volvo S40, this isn't a terrible deal for this model once the questionable "proc fee" is backed out.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Greetings hatl22. I don't believe that Volvo is providing lease support on 2006 models any longer. If you really want to lease this car, you will probably have to do so through an independent bank. Use the $3,000 cash incentive that is currently available on leftover 2006 S40s to negotiate as low a selling price as possible and then have the dealer work up a lease payment for you. Unfortunately, I suspect that this car is going to cost a lot more than $300 a month to lease. Even a 2007 model, which has a better lease program available on it, will cost more to lease than that. It probably is not a good idea to lease a 2006 S40 right now.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi c_anvil. It looks as though this lease is being run through an independent bank rather than through Volvo Finance. The advantage of doing this is you can take advantage of a $3,000 cash incentive. When this cash incentive is backed out of this deal, you are getting around a $1,600 discount. This is a pretty good discount on a car that doesn't have much of a spread between its MSRP and dealer invoice price. I doubt that you are going to get much more of a discount than that on this car, but you can always stop by the following discussion to see how much other community members have paid for similar cars: "Volvo S40: Prices Paid & Buying Experience".

There are a lot of really nice cars out there that one can lease for nearly $500 a month. I personally wouldn't pay this much for a Volvo S40 2.4i, but this is probably as cheap as this car is going to be to lease right now.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • fhpafhpa Member Posts: 1
    I leased a 2005 S40 in 2005 for a four year term. I've been considering trading it in and wanted to know if there are any pitfalls that I should be aware of. It currently has very low miles (16k. Any suggestions?
  • gratgrat Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004.5 S40 2.4i. I love everything about it but the gas mileage. I only get about 12-14 city and 15-17 highway (no matter what type of gas I use). I've seen reviews where everyone is impressed with mileage, so I'm thinking it's just mine. Can I do anything about this?
  • suyunappasuyunappa Member Posts: 3
    Just got my first car in 15 years....

S40 T5 AWD Automatic Titanium Gray Audio/Sirius/Premium/Climate
    3 year and 15K miles/yr

MSRP $35,625
    Invoice $33,262
    Agreed Price $26,692 (after incentives + dealer discount)
    Gross and adjusted Cap Cost $27,487 (no cap reduction, Price+acquisition fees)
    Residual Value $16,387.50

Drive off= 1st month + Fees = 729.19
    Payment $400.46 + CA Tax = 433.50

I hope this is a good deal!
  • jsevensevenjsevenseven Member Posts: 11
    Car Man,
    I am thinking about leasing an S40 T5 AWD. What is the money factor and residual for 36 months and 10K miles per year. Also it seems like there is more incentive money available then the $500.00 listed on this web site. I live in the Chicago Area where there is an extra tax hit on leasing. Thanks
    I am sorry to say that it is usually fairly expensive to get out of leases well before their scheduled end dates. In order to do so, you need to purchase the vehicle that you are currently leasing from the bank that you are leasing it through. It often turns out that it costs more to do so than your vehicle is worth on the open market. Furthermore, many banks expect consumers who end their leases early to still make all, or at least the depreciation portion of their remaining lease payments. As you can see, this can get very expensive.

You can determine approximately how much it will cost you to get out of your current lease by comparing its purchase price to its value on the open market at this time. You should place a call to the bank that you are leasing your vehicle through to find out its exact price. Once you know exactly how much money it is going to cost you to buy your leased vehicle you need to compare it to its current value on the open market. You can find out approximately what your vehicle is worth by looking up its Edmunds.com True Market Value in the Used Vehicle Pricing section of this site. You also may want to stop by the following discussion: "Real-World Trade-In Values". Some of our most knowledgeable community members frequent that discussion and they are often kind enough to give others their opinions of vehicles' value. Don't forget to check to see if you are still on the hook for your remaining lease payments. The difference between your leased vehicle's current value and how much it will cost you to buy it plus any remaining lease payments that you are obligated to pay will equal the cost of getting out of your lease right now. You may find that you are better off waiting until you are closer to the scheduled end of your lease to get another new vehicle.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi grat. I'm sorry to hear about your car's poor gas mileage. This particular discussion is for community members to ask questions about leasing this car. You will probably have better luck getting feedback on your gas mileage issue by visiting the following discussion: "Volvo S40".

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi jsevenseven. For some reason, I don't believe that Volvo is running a special lease on the S40 T5 AWD through Volvo Finance this month. As a result, if you want to lease one you will have to do so through an independent bank. The good news is that Volvo is currently providing a special cash incentive of $5,500 on '07 S40 T5 AWD models that are leased through independent banks. Make sure to take this huge incentive into account when negotiating your car's capitalized cost.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    Is that ONLY on the T5 AWD?
    is there any cash on other S40 models? and, if so, how much?

thanks.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Hey qbrozen. Volvo has cash incentives for leases of all variants of the 2007 S40 that are leased through independent banks. Its allowances are $3,000 on the '07 S40 2.4i, $4,500 on the '07 T5, and $5,500 on the '07 S40 T5 AWD. It also is providing $500 owner loyalty / conquest cash on the '07 S40 that you should be able to take advantage of of you are currently leasing or own any vehicle and lease a new one through an independent bank.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    thanks car_man.

Are those numbers still good for March?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• kathiewkathiew Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I'm looking at leasing an S40 2.4i with the select package and leather interior for 48 months with 15K miles/year.

The dealer isn't budging on the MSRP (29, 655) although they were up front about the $3500 in incentives available. They quoted a monthly pmt of $370, including tax. They didn't give me the money factor they used and quoted a residual of 11,063. With, $2,000 out of pocket, I can't get the numbers to jive with any lease calculator I've tried. The monthly payment seems like a decent deal, regardless. Thoughts???
    i haven't checked a calculator, but if they won't budge off MSRP, I'd look elsewhere. If the cars were selling well, it wouldn't need those big incentives.

• jpierottijpierotti Member Posts: 1
    Hi Car_man - do you know if the $5,500 incentive for a T5 AWD lease is still on now (it's March 18) and available in Minneapolis? A Google search doesn't find this deal anywhere (except in this forum).

Thanks much.
    jpierotti
  • bgrobgro Member Posts: 3
    Went with my friend to help her out with leasing a Volvo S40. She ended up with a 2.4i Select Package w/ Auto Trans. Sticker was $28,160. She ended up paying $300 monthly (tax included) $1200 out of pocket. 36 months 15k miles. I thought this was a really good deal. Thoughts? This was at Maroone Volvo in Delray Beach, FL.
    No problem qbrozen. I believe that Volvo enhanced its cash incentives for leases of '07 S40 models through independent banks for the month of March. It is currently providing $3,500 on non-Volvo Finance leases of the '07 S40 2.4i, $5,000 on the '07 S40 T5, and $6,000 on the '07 S40 AWD. It is still providing $500 owner loyalty / conquest cash on it.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hello kathiew. A base 2007 Volvo S40 2.4i has a spread of over $1,400 between its full MSRP and its dealer invoice price. I'm surprised that the dealer that you spoke with wouldn't provide you with any sort of discount on this car. It's not a bad vehicle, but it's not like consumers are beating down showroom doors to get it. It definitely would be in your best interest to comparison shop a little bit to see if you can find a dealer that is willing to give you a discount on this car.

As far as this car's lease program goes, Volvo Finance's March buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 48 month lease lease of a a 2007 Volvo S40 2.4i with 15,000 miles per year are .00227 and 42%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi jpierotti. Volvo actually increased its cash incentive on leases of the 2007 S40 T5 AWD through independent banks to $6,000 in March. You can go with this program, or take advantage of Volvo Finance's special lease program for this car.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Greetings bgro. You never mentioned this car's selling price. This number will show me how much of a discount your friend was given on it and it will enable me to estimate what its monthly payment should be. Let me know what the selling price was and I will be happy to give you my opinion on your friend's deal.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • drpie1drpie1 Member Posts: 5
    any info yet on april if current incentives will continue??
  • smat74smat74 Member Posts: 9
    How would one go about finding "independent banks" that can take advantage of these incredible incentives? Volvo's own lease program isn't that great, IMHO...
    us bank is the one offering the current deal
  • smat74smat74 Member Posts: 9
    Should I just call them up? Their website doesn't have much specific info about leasing and how to start. Thanks.
    you need to deal with the dealer i dont believe they deal directly with consumers as most leasing companies do not
  • stevehollysteveholly Member Posts: 26
    Hello all - wanted to post the latest deal I've been working on at Volvo of Princeton:

2007 S40 2.4i with Select, Climate, Auto and Metallic paint (MSRP of $29,310)

To purchase - final price - $24,602

To lease for 36 months, 18k/year:
    Cap Cost - $22,852
    Cost Out of Pocket - ~$1600 (includes Acquisition fee, document fee, various NJ state fees [those suck], 1st month)
    Money factor - 0.00207 (or ~4.9%)
    Residual - 47%

Final lease price - $383.33/mo (Note - this includes NJ tax of 7%)

I plan on completing by the end of the week - they are motivated by the end of the month and end of the quarter.

Anyone have any thoughts how we could drive down further?
    well, i ran it through the lease calculator and it seems like it all adds up. Considering you are about $6500 below MSRP, it seems like you are getting full advantage of the dealer cash. So I think you've got all you'll get. Of course, that is my unprofessional opinion.

By the way, Princeton is the ONLY volvo dealer I have found I like in Jersey.

This discussion has been closed.