Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Volvo S60 Lease Questions

Comments

• alleykat26alleykat26 Member Posts: 5
    Yes, I leased it for 48 months through Wells Fargo. Payment is $403 after $500 total out of pocket and being about $1K upside down on my Accord EX v-6. Turned out to be cheaper for me (out of pocket)to go with new S60 than to put brakes and tires on the Accord and my monthly payment only went up $15 per month from what I was paying. Dallas Volvo made it all very quick and easy as they already had 07's on their lot. Absolutely love the car!!
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    You're very welcome, montreid.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi 25stjames. I would be happy to give you my opinion on this deal. It would be a big help though if you would post this car's selling price. This is a very important number for you as a consumer to know. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable. Without this number you don't know how much of a discount you are being given. Anyhow, let me know and I'll tell you what I think.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Congratulations on your new car, liverichly. Thanks for taking the time to share the details of your lease with everyone. Enjoy!

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • bgl90291bgl90291 Member Posts: 5
    How do I find an s60 lease at the best rate described here? Is there any way out of spending hours at every dealership? Is there a service that hunts down the deal I want for a fee?
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    How do I find an s60 lease at the best rate described here? Is there any way out of spending hours at every dealership? Is there a service that hunts down the deal I want for a fee?

Well, if you have to pay a fee, then its hardly the best deal is it?

There is a simple way, utilize the resources here, go to your local dealer, let them know you are there to buy a car if the numbers are right and get it done.
    Or, you can get quotes from the internet or Fleet Dept.
    Problem is, when someone knows you are shopping, they can low ball you pretty easily.
    There simply is no one best deal, for anyone. There are too many factors to consider. If you spend all your time trying to get to the absolute best price, it can be an unpleasant experience.
  • volvo_rvolvo_r Member Posts: 20
    Shop by the internet if you go to Volvo's main site you should be able to get refferred to dealers websites which you can submit an email telling them that your shopping bids for the best lease deal. First months leas pymt, security deposit, tax & Lic. If it's an S60 2.5T AWD my local dealer has no money due at signing and $299 mo.
    Thank-you. I have not had much success with the dealers doing it the way you describe, they bait and switch and all manor of lies. If you will tell me the place to get an S60 for $299. and no money down it could even be worth it to get it shipped to me in Los Angeles! The best deal offered to me here is $359. with no money down and 12000 mi. per year. Of course, I don't know the $$ details of that deal sale price of car and etc. What say ye wise car_man?
    that is the problem when comparing car deals, esp car deals in different towns. You don't know what the equipment is, what the fees are, or even the lease programs. Some lenders are regional or have different rates for different regions.
    CA like AZ has very high registration fees. If the fees in Podunk are $60 and they are $800 in CA, that impacts your lease.
    I made a mistake and posted to much info on my sales rep. name etc. When you call ask for the lease returns guy at Ken Garff Volvo SLC 801-257-3500 & tell him Mark sent you since we have done alot business with him he'll work you the advertised deal. Once you get your paperwork all signed via fax you fly Jet Blue from LA to Salt Lake City, UT & drive back to wherever home is to get the $299 mo. it's still cheaper than $359 mo. Plus the dealer will pick you up at the airport too. If you need more specific information that I'm not supposed to post here let me know your email & I'll send you what you want to know
  • zlskrszlskrs Member Posts: 9
    There have been many posts with partial info on incentives, terms, etc. From what I can surmise there is perhaps $8K on the S60 and $10K on the S60R, provided you lease with an outside bank (not Volvo Finance). Can someone post exactly what incentives are currently available, and when they expire? Thanks to anyone who can answer.
    "Never trust a skinny chef AKA never trust a plump sales person". Based on that this guy and his management are OBESE! This dealer appears to me to be STINGY on sharing any factory money from his dealership with you. Even if he throws all of the factory money back into your deal he still get's his normal commission plus the dealer holdback and the dealer still makes the NORMAL profit. Personally I'd walk, since these guys likely know that you know about the incentive yet they are still trying to pimp the extra Volvo money for themselves. Email like that one from Tony is, thanks but no thanks you need to sharpen your pencil and be more competitive if they want your business. If the deal is not to your liking you'll walk. Car dealers hate customers who shop for the best deal. Why?
    They make less gross profit on each deal. they don't want you to walk especially if your going down the street to do the deal and they know your ready today. I almost backed over a guy once as we were leaving the dealership after the 3rd pencil(deal they were offering)He begged us to come back and said it was crazy anyting could happen his boss really wants to do a deal, why didn't you plead like this with your manager at the 3rd pencil I asked?

We both know you found the same car for a much better deal elswhere($0 due @ driveoff 299mo.) Once you talk to my guy let me know how it goes. If don't get what you want there is more than one Volvo dealer to shop or even more important do business with. Especially if your willing to travel abit the small inconvience now can more than pay for itself down the road.
    It's a mystery why these dealers/salesman aren't eager to move a year old car. I have been in contact with 4!!! of the closest dealers to me, with similar pathetic responses. You'd think the volume in So. Cal allows some leeway for less profit on each car.

Well, you're right-no mystery... GREED is a sickness!

Of course, when I ask them to explain the figures, then they never reply!
  • las60rlas60r Member Posts: 5
    Ok....
    Just to let you all know how super-cool I am.......
    (and I'm not telling you which dealer, salesman name, MF, etc...you can get the financials yourselves)

Ultimate new 2006 S60R Lease:

MSRP: $45,245 + $740 (installed bluetooth + ipod adaptor)
    = Total MRSP of $45,985

Options: (metallic paint, Auto Trans, Premium, Convenience, 18" wheels, air quality system, sirius pre-wire).

Only missing Nav, Climate package (heated seats), and sport body kit:

Drumroll please:

15k, 36 mos
    $3000 out of pocket
    $382 per month including tax.

The figures above account for ALL payments. Just 3k out of pocket to cover down payment and driveoffs. Thats it.

Thank you very much.
    Cap Cost (selling price before down payments, etc) =
    $27872

If you do your math, thats a discount of: $18113

The conclusion here: I am a leasing WIZARD. I thank god for my Jewishness, which has allowed me to accomplish feats of financing not achievable by mere gentiles.

And yes, this car was brand new, 20 miles on it, it was not a demo, it was in perfect condition, on the showroom floor. Nobody died in it, blemished it, or so much as looked at it the wrong way. And it was a desirable color...as opposed to sonic blue or some other weird color.
    Nice las60r ! I'm just curious which leasing company did they feed your lease through and what was your money factor?
  • las60rlas60r Member Posts: 5
    USBank
  • genefidgenefid Member Posts: 1
    market: indianapolis

06 volvo s60 2.5t
    MSRP 36,225
    basecap cost 25,750
    residual 42%

with additional 1k down, final drive off including 1st month payment 2.6K.

montly payment $360 + $21 in tax comes to $381 per month.

dealer seemed upfront and honest. sounds like a decent deal, thinking of taking it.

suggestions?
    Hi zlskrs. Volvo is currently providing a total of $5,000 in cash incentives on the 2006 S60R, regardless of what bank you lease through. On the 2007 S60R Volvo is providing $2,000 cash for leases through Volvo Finance and a total of $9,000 for leases through independent banks. The aforementioned incentives are scheduled to run through the end of August.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi bgl90291. I just deleted the post that I am replying to because it contains your e-mail address, which is against the rules of this forum. It's OK to ask someone to e-mail you, but just tell them to get your e-mail address form your profile. Thanks.

A capitalized cost reduction on a lease is essentially a down payment. It is used to reduce the amount that you are financing. I personally always advise community members against making cap cost reductions on leased vehicles. The main reason that I do so is that if your leased vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered during your lease your cap cost reduction essentially disappears. Consumers can and should lease any vehicle that they want without making any sort of cap cost reduction.

All banks that lease vehicles to consumers charge a bank aka acquisition fee. Volvo Finance charges a $595 acquisition fee on every vehicles that it leases. Some other banks charge more and some charge less, but the $940 fee that you were quoted is too high. I suspect that the dealer you are working with may be trying to mark your car's bank fee up to add hidden profit to your deal.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • xfelicitexfelicite Member Posts: 2
    I'm about to lease a 2007 Volvo s60T front-wheel drive. I'm offered the price of 2,400 down, which includes tax, bank fee, and first month's payment etc. It is a 42 month lease for $299 per month. What do you guys think? Jump on it? ... or wait/ look for a better deal? I honestly think this is one of the best deals out there. My other lowest offer was $2700 down, $349 a month for 36 months. (But that was for 36 months, as compared to 42 months for the $299.) I've only been to three Volvo dealers so far though, so I'm still unsure. The price for the $299 dealership would be a total of $14,659 for 3.5 years of lease (42 months). The buyout would then be $14,138 after the 42 months. I would love to hear some/any feedback as soon as possible, as I am about to jump ship(buy)! I'm hoping that the salesperson can throw in remote start (which she quotes at $595 additional) to close the deal, or at least offer a discount on it.
    That's waaayyy too much money down! My dealer is quoting somebody else in my office for a 2006 s60 2.5T fwd for $299 mo. first pymt security dep tax title license which is less. Time to get some more competitive quotes from other dealers
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    you're comparing your buddy's offer on an '06 to this offer on an '07. Considering the monthly payment is the same, I'd say a little more down for the '07 seems like a very good deal in comparison. That is, if you WANT an '07.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• xfelicitexfelicite Member Posts: 2
    Actually, I just leased the same car (2007 Volvo s60 2.5T with climate and premium package - moonroof, power front seats, heated seats, leather, etc) for 36 months for 10,000 miles for $2300 down (including $140 new plates fee in New York) and $289 a month. This seems like a very good deal to me since it's an '07 for just 36 months. After the math, it's actually about $5 less per month than the 42-month option. So, I'm "giving up" 2,000 miles that I never would've been able to use anyway and leasing the car for a shorter amount of time. (6 months less.)

What do you guys think? Good Deal? Also, I have to pay a $300 deposition fee to Chase Bank when I return the car. Is this fee generally included in the contract, or does everyone pay the fee at the end of their lease?

Could I have done any better on this '07 Volvo, 36 mo. 10,000 miles/yr?
    Your missing the point cars depreciate. Why toss an extra $1400 down that you'll never see again when you can lease a 2006 for $989 drive off $299 month for same exact car other than model year.
    Nope, I'm not missing the point. I totally understand that, and I'm on your side of the fence. That's why I stated in my post, "if you WANT an '07."

The poster didn't ask if he should get an '06, he asked how his deal on the '07 looked. And, like I said, compared to your buddy's deal on the '06, $1400 more for an '07, if you WANT an '07, looks decent.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• ltg58ltg58 Member Posts: 3
    I'm at the end of a 36 month lease, and am interested in buying this 2004 S60. Just under 36K miles. Is the buyout price negotiable at this point? Is the residual value the buyout price?
    at the end of the lease, yes, the residual is the buyout. There may be a fee tacked on, too, though. I'm not sure. Won't be much, in any case.

Yes, you can negotiate the buyout. You have to call whoever you leased through (whether that is volvo finance or a bank). I suggest you find out the true value of the car beforehand so you know where you stand. If the buyout is $15k and the car is truly only worth $13k, then you obviously want to try to negotiate for $13k.

Not all lease companies will negotiate the buyout.
    Volvo Finance will no longer do so for instance.
    Thanks
  • andre1andre1 Member Posts: 85
    Car_Man,
    I read the earlier post regarding the attractive lease cash offered by Volvo on the S60R. What are the lease rates (money factor, residual) for the 2006 AND 2007 Volvo S60R for 24 and 36 months (12K and 15K miles per year). Thanks!
  • biggerdaddynjbiggerdaddynj Member Posts: 17
    I wanted to share with everyone what I believe to be a great lease deal in NJ for an '07 Volvo S60 2.5T w/the premium package and climate control package (MSRP $35,345).
    36 mos/12K mile lease--$279/mos (white or red) and $289 ("metallic colors"). NO CAP COST REDUCTION--I picked up a metallic color (titanium) and paid $2061 out of pocket--1st mos, taxes (you pay up front so you don't have to pay each mos---about $760 in total), acquisition fee, motor vehicle/doc/bank fees. No sec. dep. $289/mos--less than an Accord EX V6 or a Maxima, a lot less than a G35 or Acura TL. If you take into consideration that you're paying the taxes up front rather than per month you're only paying $1300 for inception fees. Pretty good, huh? Apparently, Volvo is giving a lease incentive of $9,000--taken off the invoice you're leasing this car for $24K (I still can't believe it). I got mine at Bridgewater Volvo (they also own Volvo of Princeton and Volvo of Edison). Hope this posting helps someone else out!!! Good luck!!!
  • carforevancarforevan Member Posts: 19
    Was that the front wheel drive?

Also, $9K off the invoice is $26,345, but you quote a selling price of $24K....so it was $11K off invoice then?

Congrats on your new car by the way!
    Carforevan,
    The car is FWD not AWD (however, it has last year's Dynamic Stability and Traction Control as a standard option so I feel pretty good--also has the turn signals on the side mirrors--I think that's pretty neat). Also, I must apologize because I'm really not too sure what the actual invoice was on my vehicle because I was only concerned about the bottom line numbers (however, when I just ran it on Edmunds the invoice was about just about $33K--the salesman told me the lease price was $24K and that it was $9K off invoice so I guess he was right there). When I read the ad in the paper today I was really shocked because I recalled last month's special which I think was $369/mos (w/o tax--not sure if it was AWD or the FWD). The deal is also good because I think they're using US Bank which the salesman told me had the lowest money factor and a good residual (there is one program out there that is better than the rest). Regardless, the Volvo was not my first choice but I found a deal I just couldn't pass up (leasing a $35K MSRP car for $289/mos--or $309 when you factor in the tax I paid up front). In fact, today was the first time I'd even test drove one. I was a little leery about the 5 cylinder but with the turbo the S60 really did have good pick up. I'm going to pick up the car on Saturday (my old lease expires next Monday). If you're in the market for an S60 and don't mind foregoing the AWD (in light of the DSTC) this deal seems to be great (the S40 is leasing for more, I think $329, that's how good this seems to be!!!). Ends Aug. 31st. I just wanted to pass this on to everyone because the Edmunds forum was really instrumental in my getting a great deal on an Odyssey (my wife actually mocked me when I spent time writing my original post). Best of luck to you all. Maybe I'll check in later to see if people jump in on this deal. Good luck to you all!!!!
    Biggerdaddynj,
    I think you got a great deal because the ad was $289/mo with 10.5K miles and $995 down for the S-60 '07. You got $289 with 12k miles and no cap money down. I'm wondering what your deal would equate to with an AWD and 15K miles. The MSRP on the '07 AWD is 37,575 in silver with Premium and Climate Control. I'm thinking 100 more per month would be about right.

Yeah, it's funny, the lease incentives Volvo is offering are only if you go with a non-Volvo lease! Go figure!!

Oh one more thing...did they give you a hard time about any excess wear and tear on the car you're turning in? Is it the Odyssey? Just wondering how to avoid those arguments, as I've heard some horror stories lately.

Thanks for your post and tell your wife we're all car freaks at some time in our life. ;)
  • nybrokernybroker Member Posts: 25
    I have a fully paid for 2003 S40 with 28,000 miles that I want to sell and lease a 2007 S60 Does anybody know how it would work if I wanted to trade in the car. Put the minimum down on the lease and make monthly payments. Would Volvo cut me a check for the difference say 12-13K.

Whats my best option I really dont want to go through the hassle of selling it myself but may if they dont give me enough.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    It is basically two separate transactions... They buy your car from you.. then, you lease their car..

They will cut you a check for the full amount of trade-in allowance, or deduct your start-up costs and cut a check for the difference, whatever you prefer..

If they won't give you what you think it's worth, then your only other option is to sell it to someone else.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Carforevan,
    Not sure what the figures are for the AWD. The program thru Aug. 31st is for the 2.5T ASR FWD. If you're waiting for the AWD then who knows maybe next month will be your turn to get a deal (last month the deal was for the S40). Turning in an Acura 3.2 TL-S next week (got a great deal on that too--took an '03 when the newly designed '04s were coming in). Had the inspection--no problem at all and Acura is a real class act--give you $1,500 for excess wear/tear (as long as the damage per "incident" does not exceed $500) and no BS dispo. fee. Very generous indeed (they also sent me a $100 gift card to try to lure me back--used it instead to buy Acura swag for my dad and I--hats, coffee mugs, travel bag and some wiper fluid to boot). Too bad the lease programs for the TL are so bad. All I had was a $200 cracked fog light cover--I joked with the inspector that I should knock the car around a bit more to get my money's worth. My dings and dents (and there were several) were all within the limit. Also recently had my wife's Saab inspected (same guy did both cars--I think the company is SGS). We had no problems then either (but Saab was not generous at all--I think they gave you no free excess wear/tear and they also stuck you with a $350 dispo. fee). The Odyssey replaced the Saab (got the Touring edition--I have to admit that I it really is a nice ride). However, I don't know what US Bank provides on excess wear/tear (I do know there's a dispo. fee--waived if you re-up on another vehicle). So, you may have nothing to fear after all. Best of luck though!!!
    Biggerdaddynj,
    I'm going out today to make a deal on an '07 S-60 AWD (hopefully). I'll let you know how I do. By phone we're down to 15k miles for 36 mos MSRP 37,575 and sellng price of 28K. Payments are around $390. Will try to move it a bit in person, but it's already a good deal I would think with that price. No cap money down of course.

I'll post again tonight after I buy.

Oh, also, when you say Saab wasn't good about the excess wear and tear...you mean you had to pay some $$$? How much if you don't mind saying...
    thanks!
    Carforevan,
    My point about Saab was that as I recall I don't believe they provided you with a "credit" for excess wear/tear whereas Acura gave you a $1,500 credit. However, we still didn't have to pay for any excess wear/tear (and they car did have the inevitable dents and scratches--almost had to pay for a tire but I convinced the inspector to check another part of the tread!!!). In the end, we only had to pay the dispo. fee but I hated having to do that. Seems like you've done a great job getting that price down on '07 S60 AWD. Now you just need to get the best lease program out there!!! Good luck. Let us know what happens.
  • severancehallseverancehall Member Posts: 3
    I hope to lease my first Volvo S60 this week. I have Ford A-Plan available. (1)How well does A-Plan help me on a 2007 Volvo lease? (2)If I need 20K miles/year and would like an S60 2.5T or T5 with leather, no NAV, what mo. payment should I expect with $2,000-$2,500 down? (3)Do I really need to negotiate if I use Ford's A-Plan on the deal?
    Biggerdaddynj,
    Picked up the car last night. I did a little better in person and ended up at $380/month. It was funny, I had talked to one area dealership and the salesaman was such a jerk...telling me "you're not getting leather for that price".. etc. I insisted I was, and his reply was "well, go buy the car then!". I said I WILL!

Car handles great and I'm really happy with my purchase. The onething I can't figure out: I hear from everyone "just don't buy the car at the end of the lease". My purchase price at the end of three years is $17,500. I don't see how that wouldn't be an offer not to refuse as I could never buy a three year old car at that price. But this is my first lease so, I could be missing something. If anyone has any info on that point, I'd be interested in hearing it......

Thanks!
    Can I ask why you want to put money down on a lease??

As for price of the lease, incentives that I know about (car man...correct me if I'm wrong, also not sure when these expire) are about $7K. So this comes off of MSRP as a minimum. Then you can comparison shop around your area and see who will give you the best price. If you're in the NY area, let me know and I'll pass along more details on my deal and where you can find it. Be sure to get at least 12K or 15K miles per year. These "offers" for 10.5K are a joke. 12K/year is the insurance standard. I know of someone who actually bought and insured a second car because it was cheaper than paying the excess mileage charges he was headed for. Those kinds of deals give leasing a bad name.

I don't know about the A-plan and all that means, although I heard them say that's the plan they used for my lease. Hopefully someone else can shed some light on that. Good luck with everything!!
  • nagnihotnagnihot Member Posts: 3
    Hi biggerdaddynj,

I spoke to the Bridgewater Volvo people this morning, and told
    them I wanted this exact same deal (metallic color, $289 a
    month with no cap cost reduction upfront). The sales guy
    told me that he had the deal, but among the other upfront
    costs, mentioned a "dealer fee" of about $500, which brought
    the total drive-off cost (including taxes) to about $2500.

This "dealer fee" is not the acquisition fee, right? This is something
    I should negotiate down?

Thanks!
    The onething I can't figure out: I hear from everyone "just don't buy the car at the end of the lease". My purchase price at the end of three years is $17,500. I don't see how that wouldn't be an offer not to refuse as I could never buy a three year old car at that price.

Well... depends on what the apprehension is. Many people think that an advantage to leasing is never having a car out of warranty. Buying the car at the end of the lease means you will have a car out of warranty.

The other issue, for this particular instance, is that volvos depreciate harshly. $17,500 is just an OK price. Compare to an '04 with 36k miles, leather, heated seats, moonroof, etc. and edmunds says trade-in is $16,500. Edmunds is typically high, so I think it would be more like $15k-$15,500. SOOO... at $17,500, you'd be paying near retail for the car. Its not that you shouldn't do it, since that's not a bad price (although this is based on today's numbers. the car could be worth more or less at the actual end of your lease depending on the market at that moment.), but it definitely wouldn't be a deal you couldn't refuse.

• severancehallseverancehall Member Posts: 3
    I'm in Ohio, and have a Ford Motor relative which qualifies me for Ford's A-Plan (i.e. special pricing). Don't want to put anything down on an S60 lease if I don't have to, just want to see how to negotiate the lowest lease price and buyout if the A-Plan already provides fixed discounts and buyout ... I'm trying to determine whether there is really any need to negotiate when using the A-Plan.
    gbrozen,
    '04s are going for $24 - 25K. Show me where I can buy one for $15K and I'll take all you can find!

A friend at work just bought an '04 too and he got it for around $25.

KBB has the '04s with 36K miles at $25K too.
    well, I can't buy any for $15k, because i'm not a dealer.

maybe edmunds is wrong, i don't know. i don't work for them, either.

HOWEVER, I can tell you that, back in '04, I was offered a leftover brand new 2.5T with premium and sport for $25,500. So buying a used one now for that price seems WAY off.

Also, just looking at carsdirect now, I see they are offering '06 2.5Ts with premium for $27k. So I'm pretty sure your buddy with the newly purchased '04 got taken.

Maybe he did get taken, but he seems to be a savvy buyer. Or maybe he rounded up, although that seems odd too.

Bottom line is I can't imagine being able to buy a three year old S-60 w/premium for less than $17.5 k, but we'll see. Who knows if I'll even want to buy it at that point.

Sort of wishing I'd looked at picking up one of those '06s though....

Are you an S-60 owner, and if so, how do you like yours?
    no. I was an S70 owner up until recently (which, by the way, was a 3-year-old loaded T5 with 30k miles that I got for $20k). I looked at the S60 as a replacement, but it just didn't quite do it for me. The backseat is tighter than my 70 was and, meanwhile, while driving, I still felt like I was in my 70 (in other words, it didn't make me feel like I'd be getting a new car ... if you know what i mean). I also tested the S80 out of curiosity. I liked the 60 better.

My buyout on a 04 S60, with 36K miles, after a 3 year lease is $17,500. After reading these replies, I guess that sounds pretty good.