Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MX-5 Miata (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• sdavidson1sdavidson1 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if a Miata can be towed flat behind a motorhome? Have the motorhome and would love to get a Miata for a tow vehicle.
  • crashton6crashton6 Member Posts: 245
    You can't safely flat tow a Miata. The tranny won't get propper lubrication & it'll fry. I guess it would be possible to tow one a short distance without hurting it though.

Chuck
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    I've seen a lot of stuff that isn't safe to tow rolling behind a motorhome.

The "best" was a previous generation Escalade behind a turbo diesel 40' home. Obviously, the owner has enough money to replace the drivetrain bits when they fail prematurely...

-Colin
  • mainsail2mainsail2 Member Posts: 77
    Do you have to drain the coolant from the engine in order to replace the heater and heater bypass hoses on a 1992 Miata? How much coolant will flood out when I pull the old hoses off?
    Also, I bought front brake pads from Mazda that I will have installed. Do I have to have the rotors resurfaced if everything is presently working very smoothly? I'm reluctant to "sand off" perfectly good rotor material if I don"t need to.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    You can't safely flat tow a Miata. The tranny won't get proper lubrication & it'll fry. I guess it would be possible to tow one a short distance without hurting it though.

Are we talking manual trans? how does a manual trans get lubed when it is running vs. being towed? I don't see a problem with that.

However, an automatic relies on an engine driven pump for cooling/lubrication and will get burnt if towed long distances. On that note, I saw an Expedition being towed behind a motorhome last week. Not only is it death to his tranny, it must cost a bundle to pull it around.
  • j2kbarlowj2kbarlow Member Posts: 89
    Mainsail, you do have to drain the coolant to replace the heater core. I just did mine a few weeks back. Are you doing it yourself? If so, a few helpful hints - 1) remove the seats 2) don't worry about removing the steering column - just remove the bolts that hold it to the dash assembly. It'll be plenty out of the way with the seats removed. 3) go ahead and buy new heater box adjuster flaps. The foam rubber insulators on mine were pretty shot, but I didn't know about it ahead of time.

It took me 8 hours to take it apart and put it all back together, but that includes a lot of cleaning time. Not hard work, just tedious.
  • j2kbarlowj2kbarlow Member Posts: 89
    I was wondering the same thing maltb - seems to me as long as the tranny's in neutral when you tow it, it's gonna get lubed the same way as when driving it, through rotation. In other words, no more wear and tear than driving it to the location. Auto tranny's and AWD - different stories.
    the torque is going to be going the wrong way through the differential though. it's meant for the driveshaft to spin to the axles, not vice versa.

often times with an open differential this is no big deal. it's a very bad idea with most (all?) limited slip differentials though. you could drop the driveshaft... or put it on a trailer.

-Colin
    My opinion on downshifting is forever changed. Actually, I'm still not buying it completely, but I suppose that the original poster should check to see if they have LSD or a standard open diff.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Thanks for the link!!! I thoroughly enjoyed it and especially found the lesbian part very true. I told those people in the chick forum about lesbians and Subarus but no one seemed to believe it or acknowledge it. I was just in the gay mecca of Ft. Lauderdale with my partner so the statement with the Miata was very fitting :) As a sidenote, I have never seen so many expensive rare cars at one time (Ft Laud and Palm Beach)! I saw 4 Prowlers, 3 '02 Thunderbirds, 3 Rolls Corniche convertibles (2 brand new), 2 Bentleys, and quite a few new S and CL class Mercedes all in the same day. To own anything cheaper then a BMW 3 series makes you look poor!

For those with Miatas, you will be happy to know I didn't see many Miatas with gay men in them. Although I did see one white haired old guy (we're talkin 70) with a latino younger guy, hehehehe. The top convertibles in that area for gay men were the Sebring, Mercedes CLK and SLK, the BMW Z3 and 3 series, and the Jag convertible.
    I just got back from putting about 1400 highway miles on my Miata and it handled it great. The lifters did act up quite a bit with cruising so long at 80 mph and it ended up drinking about 1/2 a quart of oil. The AC compressor makes noise at highway speeds and bogs down the car quite a bit, so I guess the AC clutch is nearing the end of its life. I also pushed the car near its top speed. I hit 111 mph with the headlights up before i chickened out. Not bad for a car with over 140k! I consistently got 28 mpg. I hopped over a raised center divider (it was dark and I was in an unknown area making a left turn; the damn thing stuck way out where it shouldn't of and I was relieved to find out my friend hit the same one twice with his car so it wasn't just me) at about 20 mph with no damage to the car. I thought for sure I bent a rim or knocked it out of alignment but this car is trully solid! My entire family loved the car and it was a blast to cruise the beach with the top down. This was by far my best used car buy.
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    lol! *heckofa commute for you today malt?

/j
  • scarter7719scarter7719 Member Posts: 89
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    Whatever car the straight guy happened to be driving, unless the straight guy had a low sense of self-esteem.
    Does too much logic cloud ones sense of humor?
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    I think Spoc only laughed in one episode.
    Well, I encountered my first problem. I guess all the high speed driving blew out the old gasket in between the 2 parts of the thermostat housing because its leaking where they connect. Anyone else encounter this problem? Also, is anyone else experiencing a lot of heat coming up from the center console and from the firewall? I find it irritating, as if the heater is on full blast but its off. Is there a fix for this? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
  • ksargentksargent Member Posts: 31
    Greetings,

My wife and I are intersted in a Miata (1999 or later). We test-drove one a while back and loved it. The only problem: Consuer Reports 2002 Auto issue has an article on vehicle load limits - and reports that Mazda rates the Miata at a dismal 340 lbs (passengers and luggage). For comparison, the Toyota MR-2 is rated at over 400 lbs. I am 6' 1" and weigh 220; my wife is 5' 10" and weighs around 150. According to CR we cannot both ride in the Miata safely. In fact, 2 175 lb men cannot ride together safely. Suppposedly the 340 lb number comes from Mazda and is posted on the plate inside the front door.

So - should we forget the Miata and look at the MR-2?

Thanks
    Ken
  • freddy_kfreddy_k Member Posts: 376
    At least with the MR2 you won't have to worry about luggage weight ;-)

That's an interesting point, I never even know there is a restriction like that on the car, and I never would have expected it to be so low.

On another note, spring just arrived, and they're calling for 3 more days of snow :-(
  • MarkinAtlantaMarkinAtlanta Member Posts: 194
    Hey, just to make you feel better freddy,...it gets so hot and humid in the summer here, I have to keep the top up and the AC running. Spring and Fall, and a few occasional winter days are the comfortable topless chances.
  • bjrichbjrich Member Posts: 125
    My new 01 has less heat coming from the console then my 90 had. When it seemed excessive, I would turn the a/c on set for the floor and after few minuties turn it off. That seemed to get rid of the problem, most of the time.
    As to the 'weight problme' .....
    I weigh 280 and my wife weights 180, and we load the trunk when we travel.
    My Crystal Blue Baby just seems to ride and drive better. We have two trips coming up. One is 700 miles roundtrip, and the other is 1400 miles round trip. Never had a problem in my red 90, and expect none in my 01. The longer trip from St.Lo to So. Carolina, we will be loaded.
    Hay, Markinatlanta,we will be passing thru Atlanta around the end of May heading for Savannah. !!!!!.
    Bob
    re: weight,

I think you're fine but I would not use the door placard's recommendation for tire pressure. (on 15" wheel models it is 26psi all around I believe.) I'd go 4-5 psi higher to ensure safe load handling, and the tires will perform better in the twisty bits with more air too.

-Colin
    Miata's typically generate a lot of heat at the rear of the engine so that's why you feel it around the console. You might want to check your heater hoses while your at it (between the oil dipstick and the cowl), for signs of wear because they catch a lot of heat). I had to replace my thermostat at 58,000, but don't know about the housing leak you're speaking of.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    10,000 posts about Mazda Protege's Sedans....

Can we post 200 messages today at the Mazda Protege Sedan Board and break the 10,000 mark? Folks, I know we can! Every regular needs to post today! Come on Mazda Miata MX-5 owners help us out. We need to stay kinda on topic, however. Please come over and help us break 10,000 posts on Friday 3/22/01!!!!

A sincere thank you in advance.

-Larry
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Ken: I weigh 233 lbs, and my wife is pregnant. That means I'm on a diet! LOL!

Bring the wife but pack light.

-juice
  • amoxomaamoxoma Member Posts: 11
    Hey, there's not enough extra space in a Miata to challenge any kind of load factor numbers. Toss a soft suitcase in the trunk, you'll be fine. Enjoy.
  • amoxomaamoxoma Member Posts: 11
    It's been a wonderful car, wonderful - I've had it since 94. But spring is coming, and every year I want to get down to 2 cars - from 2 1/2 - this year I'm really going to do it!

So, any ideas on the right way to sell it? I was wondering if ebay would work? I live in Pittsburgh, PA, not exactly a Miata town..

- Ron
  • phillyguy2phillyguy2 Member Posts: 27
    I am looking a reasonable priced 2 seater & Miata seems to fit bill. Wife will only drive auto trans(I know, no fun). Pros & cons would be appreciated. Just looking for a convertible or coupe that will not give us trouble and have decent resale if she gets tired of it. We only average 12K/year.
    Thanks
    phillyguy

The Miata is as fun as driving gets, with amazing handling, great steering, and incredible response. Almost all of the Maitas strengths are in the actual drive of the car. Including an phenomenal shifter.

If your wife can't appretiate the driving aspect of the car, you may want to consider something like the VW Cabrio, which is great for different reasons - it's a front drive that comes with more features, a superior roof that is better insolated and cloth (less wind noise), not to mention less engine noise and road noise. It's just a very friendly get around town convertable that is 'smoother around the edges' then the Miata.
  • nativetex44nativetex44 Member Posts: 15
    FYI - In case Miata owners don't know, there's a website where you can sign up to receive lots of e-mail messages from around the world from Miata owners. Go to http://realbig.com/mailman/listinfo/miata

You will begin receiving lots of e-mail from Miata owners with all types of questions and answers. You can also ask for advice, etc. Once you sign up for this service, you will receive a lot of e-mail, so if you don't wish to receive a lot of mail, this site is not for you.
  • nativetex44nativetex44 Member Posts: 15
    Does anyone think the Miata looks better with or without a bra? I have a bra on my car, but it is a pain to take off and on when I wash my car. I bought this car with the bra and have left it on. I hesitate to take if off because of the protection it gives from small rocks, etc. But it is a pain to have to take it off, then back on after the car is clean.
  • cpearson1cpearson1 Member Posts: 30
    It is true that Consumer Reports gives a load capacity of 340 pounds. It also gives a curb weight of 2365 pounds. The plate on my 2000 gives a GVW of 2835 pounds. According to my arithmetic that gives a load capacity of 470 pounds,
    I never quite understood why people think a black piece of vinyl strapped to the front of a car made it look better then the cars natural finish.

To me it is a utility that you use to protect the paint from stone chips and such on the highway. If you do a lot of freeway driving, it might be a good idea in the long run, if you do a lot of city driving it probably isn't worth the hassle.

If you do choose to use it, make sure that you remove it any time you wash the car, and wash the bra as well. Dirt and stones will get trapped between the bra and the paint and cause scratching otherwise, which defeats the purpase of the nose bra.
  • WarpDriveWarpDrive Member Posts: 506
    No offense to anybody who uses them, but ANY bra on ANY car looks goofy. What's even worse are those solid black plastic hood protectors that you see on cars.

And for the most part, they hurt the paint since a flapping bra (and most of them DO flap) will dull away the finish. Also, the paint will fade unevenly and dirt trapped underneath will scratch also.

The best protection you can get is stonguard clear bras....that's what I would get.
    Jeff: buy Ron's, LOL! What a coincidence, back-to-back posts. He's not even far away. Question is, is it an automatic? And do you want new or used?

Pros? Very reliable, fun, affordable, light, fuel efficient, simple to fix/modify, and a strong aftermarket.

Cons? Cramped interior, loud, ride can be tiring.

If the wife fits, and doesn't mind the noise and the ride, then go for it. The auto handles just as well as the stick, at least.

-juice
    Ron's 1990 Miata has to be a manual because the Miata didn't get an optional automatic until 91.
    When do you guys get your first major service, and what should I be looking at doing. The car is at 76000 km/45000 miles. I don't have a reliable mechanic and don't want to be ripped off replacing what I don't need to, but I also don't want to take any chances and wear anything out. The car seems to run fine as it is.
    I would suggest:

change oil and filter, replace spark plugs, change air filter, change fuel filter, change PCV valve, change O2 sensor, change differential oil, change transmission oil, refill/change turret oil, rotate tires and torque wheels to spec, remove tow hooks, check/adjust timing (I advanced mine), alignment, and throttle body service.

Add spark plug wires, which I skipped because the previous owner had just changed them. I would also bleed the brakes and inspec the pads and rotors.

Did I miss anything?

-juice
  • dgraves1dgraves1 Member Posts: 414
    Change coolant and flush system.
    I knew I forgot something on my list. In fact check all the fluids, power steering, brake, gear oil, windshield washer, etc.

Change "gear oil" to ATF here and in my post above if you have an auto.

-juice
    That's quite a list! I've been under the impression that I shouldn't have to worry about the tranny fluid with a manual. I've also been meaning to remove the tow hooks myself since I've got a grill waiting to be installed, but getting them to do it is probably easier.

I'm not sure what the torque wheels are.
    actually manual transmission gear oil should be replaced every 30k or so. it's in your owner's manual. if you don't have one, I bet Mazda would send or sell you one.

-Colin
    I meant torque the wheel lug nuts to specification. In other words, I don't just throw them back on and tighten them arbitrarily.

-juice
  • ksargentksargent Member Posts: 31
    Thanks to everyone who answered my question about load capacity. I also contacted Mazda - their answer was that the 340 lb limit was for "optimal" performance, but exceeding it would not be a safety issue.

Regards
    Ken
    I know Miata's are known for this, but what is the fix for a '92? I can't remember if strut tower braces help or if there's something else that can be done. I know that a lot of ride and handling gizmos are available from mmmiata.com, but I don't want to waste money by ordering the wrong thing. Any help would be appreciated.
  • karl1973karl1973 Member Posts: 89
    Check here for some insight

http://www.miata.net/garage/65_mph.html
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    Happy Easter to All!

God Bless,
    Larry
    Spring is here, My hardtop is off!

Happy Convertabling all (god or no god ;-)
    Check tire pressure. 26-28psi is best to avoid that shimmy. Mine was high and jiggled a lot at highway speeds, plus the CD would skip all the time. It's much better now.

I also added a front lower brace that I made myself from C-Channel steel and some zinc coated bolts. Check miata.net, there were instructions on how-to. Or you can just buy a custom brace for $30-38 or so. It bolts on easily.

-juice