Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Volvo XC90 Lease Questions

Comments

• Options
    CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi moremoremore. The lease payment that you mentioned looks better than many of the payments that I have seen mentioned in this discussion lately, but the best way to tell if you are getting a good deal on a leased vehicle is to look at its selling price. You This is an important number for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing the price of the car that you want to lease you don't know how good a price you are getting it for. The second reason is that one needs the selling price of the vehicle that they want to lease is that it is necessary to calculate its lease payment. I would be happy to give you my opinion of this deal if you let me know what the selling price is.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • Options
    Greetings amj05. Unless Volvo is running an official program that will waive ALL of the remaining payments on your current lease, you would probably be better off waiting until you are closer to its scheduled end to get a new vehicle. These payments are not going to just disappear and rolling them into your new lease is sort of wasteful.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    slackjawslackjaw Member Posts: 32
    Car Man -

Can you share what the current MF and residual would be on a 2008 3.2 AWD 5 Passenger? Thanks!

I am currently sitting with a quote of .00078 and 65% for the 24 month with 10,500 annual miles.

What's the best I can expect do you think?
  • Options
    Hello jarhead169. Let me start by thanking you for all you are doing for our country. Since you and your wife have never leased before , you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

In short, the best way to get a good deal on a leased vehicle is to negotiate as low a selling price as you possibly can on the model that you want and then have the dealer you decide to go with calculate your monthly payment using its buy rate lease money factor. You should be able to get an idea of how much you will have to pay for the XC90 that you want right now by visiting the "Volvo XC90 Prices Paid and Buying Experience" discussion.

Volvo Finance's lease program for the XC90 varies by term level, term, and mileage allowance. For now I will assume that you and your wife are interested in a 24 month lease of a 2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 FWD 7-passenger with 12,000 miles per year. Volvo Finance's buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a lease using those variables are currently .00036 and 63%, respectively.

If you negotiate a low selling price and have the dealer use this money factor you will be in good shape. Let me know if you have any questions.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Congratulations on getting your new XC90, mbeam. Thanks for taking the time to share the details of your lease with everyone. Make sure to stop by the new Dealer Ratings & Reviews section of Edmunds.com to share your thoughts on your recent dealer experience with everyone. Enjoy your new ride :shades: .

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    wonderin33wonderin33 Member Posts: 1
    I'm debating a few cars now for a lease and it appears that the XC90 has finally made the cut, and passed my wife's inspection.

I'm wondering what the money factor and residual would be for a 36 month - 15K/year lease. I should also mention that I'm looking at the base model with premium package, so 3.2 FWD.

I'm X-plan eligible, so think that with that and what I believe are good terms, lease rates are comparable to much lesser cars.

Thanks
  • Options
    Hi Bruce. You never mentioned the selling price or MSRP of the XC90 that you are interested in leasing. These are important numbers for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing what this vehicle's selling price is in relation to its MSRP you don't know how much of a discount you are getting on it. The second reason is that one needs the selling price and MSRP, including the destination charge, of a vehicle to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion of this deal if you let me know what these numbers are.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Hi g_p. The selling price that you were quoted for the XC90 that you are interested in is outstanding. It's not going to get much better than $1,000 below dealer invoice minus all of the available cash incentives on an '08 XC90 that is leased through Volvo Finance right now. The money factor that you mentioned looks a little high though. Volvo Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2008 XC90 3.2 5-passenger FWD with 12,000 miles per year are .00023 and 62%, respectively. Vehicles' dollar residual values are calculated using a percentage of their full MSRPs. I just worked up a sample lease payment using an MSRP of $43,220 and a selling price of $36,705 and I come up with a 24 month, 12,000 mile per year, zero down, pre-tax monthly payment of only $428. Even after taking tax into consideration, this is a lot lower than the payment that you were quoted. If I was negotiating this deal, I would want the dealer to explain to me why this is the case. The main reason may be the higher money factor that they are charging you.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Here you go, slackjaw. Volvo Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 5-passenger AWD with 10,500 miles per year are .00083 and 65%, respectively. When negotiating your lease on this model, make sure to take advantage of the $2,500 dealer cash for the free entertainment system or $2,000 lease cash on all other models. This cash will help you to negotiate an attractive capitalized cost for your lease.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Here's the information that you're looking for, wonderin33. Volvo Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 XC90 5-passenger FWD with 15,000 miles per year are .00265 and 50%, respectively. Volvo is really pushing 24 month leases of the '08 XC90 right now. If I was in the market for one, that's probably the route that I would go. Volvo Finance's 24 month, 15k numbers are .00023 and 60%. When negotiating your lease, make sure to take advantage of the cash incentives that I mentioned in my previous post.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    kylechoffmankylechoffman Member Posts: 79
    Carman

Im in socal and was quoted the following for 15k and 18k on 24 month lease for a 7 seater AWD.

.00078 for both and 62% and 60% for 15k and 18k - I assume its different by region and for 5 seater vs 7 seater?

I want a 5 seater but the closest ones are in northern cal or AZ and it would cost them 500 bucks to ship the thing over to SD.
  • Options
    garrickgarrick Member Posts: 30
    How realistic is it to get a lease at or around 428 pre-tax with zero down. Will dealers give all the incentives you are referring to?

Is it better to do a lease deal on 12/31?
  • Options
    johnivjohniv Member Posts: 7
    Dear Carman,
    Here's a quote I received today:
    XC90 V8 AWD
    Climate
    Convenience package
    Navigation
    Rear Seat Entertainment (Complimentary from Volvo, dealer installed)

The above vehicle has a Manufacturer retail Price of $53425.00 without the DVD Entertainment System because it is dealer installed.

The Buy price is: $ 46985.00 (after all incentives)

The residual percentage of this vehicle is 65% at 10500 miles per year and 24 months term

The money factor used is 0.00029

The base payment: $566.52
    Due on delivery: 1st payment $566.52
    Security Deposit: Waived
    Bank Fees: $695.00
    Taxes: $1406.30
    DMV: $177.50

Total of $2845.32

I could close on this today, but I'd like to ensure I get 3rd row seating, satellite radio, blind spot warning and moonroof; are these features typical of packages available on the Sport? If so, should I get a quote on a sport that has these features or better off negotiating for the options? Also, is the bank fee negotiable?
    Thanks
  • Options
    volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    XC90 V8 comes w/ the 3rd row seats std.
    Moonroof is std.
    Sat radio is a dealer installed item on the V8.
    It is part of the Technology pkg on the Sport
    BLIS is a very rare option on any XC90.
  • Options
    Thanks for that. I've calculated acquisition price as being basically inv, plus inv. on the nav system. You think I should get a quote for a sport w/ the tech package then? I do like the handling of the sport a bit better.
  • Options
    If you like the Sport and there is one available, go for it.
  • Options
    Just agreed on the following xc90 sport, w/ climate, tech, convenience, BLIS, nav, rear dvd. MSRP 59,132, 24 mos, 10500 mi/yr, 51,800 acq. RV 65%, MF.00029, 2141 at inception, $582/mo
  • Options
    slackjawslackjaw Member Posts: 32
    .00029 is really quite amazing. Best I've been able to get is .00078. Still good but not .00029. Wow!
  • Options
    Yeah, seemed pretty good. Dealer was pleasant to work w/. Very straightforward. Looks like they're trying to move stock.
  • Options
    sunpro2003sunpro2003 Member Posts: 15
    I am located in NJ. I have current lease with VFNA

The new proposed deal is as follows:
    2008 XC90-AWD, Premium Package, Climate Package, Navigation System, Sirius
    Satellite
    MSRP-$44,680
    Gross Cap Cost-$41,385
    Less: $1,000 Lease Loyalty rebate
    Net Cap Cost-40,385
    Residual-$29,042.
    Money Factor-.00078(1.872%)
    24 Month Lease-$525/month

Due on Delivery
    1st Payment-$525
    Sales Tax-$1,000
    Regist Fee-350
    Bank Fee-650
    Total due at signing-$2,525.

Questions
    1. Is this a good deal?
    2. What rebates are available in December? I heard Volvo is giving dealers $3,000 plus additional $400 for leases in December.
    3. Bank Fee-Are these negotiable? This sounds like another profit maker for dealer

Thanks
  • Options
    surviveonesurviveone Member Posts: 4
    Here is the latest quote (NJ):
    2008 xc90 w/ 7 seat option
    2 year lease
    All the upgrades climate/ versatility/premium/ etc.(w/ park assist camera, bluetooth, ipod, navigation)
    w/ 18" tires
    W/ rear seat entertainment system
    3k down
    548 a month
    the quote inlcudes 2k from costco plus all the dealer cash.....
    49k invoice
    42k after savings
    31k residual after lease
    I think it is a good deal.....
  • Options
    nicole10nicole10 Member Posts: 2
    Hi everybody,

I am trying to surprise my husband with a new XC 90 as a Christmas present. I have read through several of these posts, but the leasing variables can be a bit daunting. I have the following offer from the Volvo dealer for a three year 12,000 miles annual allowance

2008 Volvo XC90 AWD 3.2L with premium package, versatility package, climate package, and electronic control.

MSRP $45,420
    Selling Price $35,869
    Money Factor 0.00205
    Residual 46%

Total at inception (includes taxes, fees, and 1st month) $3007

Monthly payments of $522.38

The selling price looks low, but they are likely making it up on the higher money factor and lower residual. I don't have a lot of time, would like to pick it up tomorrow as my husband will be traveling. Any help is greatly appreciated, would like to ask for his help, but i want this to be a surprise.

Thank you everybody!!!
  • Options
    fantomfantom Member Posts: 211
    Not a bad deal, but....

Selling price is excellent, money factor is high, residual seems low, and money up front is too much, IMHO. But you already knew all this.

If you are a Costco member, go to their website for a fantastic XC90 program, and make a call immediately. If not, bargain hard tomorrow, but be willing to walk, making sure they understand you're serious and that they have your phone number.

Then call or visit several other Volvo dealers and see what their best deal is. You can find them on the Volvo website.

Your husband is a lucky man. Good luck, and let us know how it works out.
  • Options
    uthumveeuthumvee Member Posts: 28
    MSRP - $38,805.00, AWD * cloth seats, power windows, power locks, cruise control, security system, remote keyless entry, am/fm single cd player, 5 passenger, dual climate control.

This comes with a REAR SEAT ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM TWIN SCREEN DVD PLAYER *$ 1,800 VALUE*
    Total Down (drive offs and your first month's payment included) $ 3900.00

23 months @ $ 495.00 per month + tax (10,500 miles per year)

35 months @ $ 573.00 per month + tax (12,000 miles per year

Thanks.
  • Options
    uthumveeuthumvee Member Posts: 28
    Updated Deal: Costco Incentive

45,200 XC90 (this one is titanium gray with climate, AWD, versatility, premium pkg.
    You pay invoice $ 42,408, less $ 2500, less $ 1,000 and you get a $ 500 Costco Gift card. Also incudes Rear Seat Entertainment System.

$1,163 down including first months payment

24 months - 10,500 miles - $539 per month + tax.
  • Options
    jcentersjcenters Member Posts: 1
    I just wanted to know if you closed on this deal? If you did it will give me some real ammunition with my dealer. Thanks
  • Options
    yes, picked it up last night. nice ride, the sport adjustments make a big difference on the way the car handles.
  • Options
    limetsfanlimetsfan Member Posts: 4
    Hi all!
    Just received a quote on XC90 3.2 AWD (Premium, versatility, climate and convenience packages)

0 cap cost reduction paying 1 month, bank fee and taxes due at signing (NY) ($2300)

24 month lease 10,500 miles per year

Lease per month for $426.00

Sounds really good. What do you all think?

Thanks.

limetsfan
  • Options
    limetsfanlimetsfan Member Posts: 4
    Here are more specifics:

XC90 3.2 AWD (Premium, versatility, climate and convenience packages)

0 cap cost reduction paying 1 month, bank fee and taxes due at signing (NY) ($2300)

24 month lease 10,500 miles per year

Lease per month for $426.00

MSRP: $48,295

Selling price of vehicle is $41,271

Buy back is $31,391.75.

We are Costco members and using costco promotion.

Sounds really good. But now we are concerned about buyback price. Help!!

Thanks.

limetsfan
  • Options
    fantomfantom Member Posts: 211
    Sorry, but we can't have it both ways, and the only "help" is to bite the bullet and purchase it. Sometimes Volvo will negotiate the RV at the end of the lease, but not often and not by much.

Another cute trick that you should check about the quoted RV: Is the "add back" price of the so called free rear seat DVD system in it, because they do add it in the final paperwork ~ about $1,200. Be careful.

You're still getting a $48K car for about $41K, including the cost of your two years of leasing to make up your mind if you want to keep it. Quite a good deal, I'd say, that needs no "help".

Enjoy the new ride!
  • Options
    Answer is very simple, don't buy the car at the end of the lease.

VFNA does not negotiate the buyout on their leases, and chances are the car won't be worth the buyout.
  • Options
    nyc55nyc55 Member Posts: 4
    I planning to lease a XC 90 3.2 liter 5 seater with the following options
    premium pkg.
    convenience pkg
    climate pkg
    blind spot info sys
    naviga sys
    wood steering wheel
    electronic control all wheel drive
    metalic paint
    What is a Lease for 24 month in NYC with no money down and the Taxes in the monthl. payment, max miles I drive in 36 month is 23000 miles.
  • Options
    nyc55nyc55 Member Posts: 4
    I was at the dealer today with the options posted on #943

for a 24 month lease 10,500 miles a yr MSRP $47,470

however with the discount dealer gave us
    he based the lease on this price: $42,870

not paying the taxes at signing but dividing that into 24 months
    at signing COD is $1,749.84 includes: 1 month lease 1 month tax banking fee etc.

Buy back $29,906.10

Monthly lease payment including tax $621.63
  • Options
    efreemanefreeman Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I are getting ready to lease an 2008 XC90 3.2 with various packages. I want to be armed with numbers before we go into the negotiations. Can someone please tell me what the lease rate and residual value would be for this vehicle if it is leased for either 36 or 48 months?

Thanks.
  • Options
    steveinvtsteveinvt Member Posts: 17
    This is the offer I received today from our local Volvo dealer. What do you think? Residual seems low, but I don't think there is much wiggle room there. I wonder however, if it is realistic to get a bit more knocked off the initial cap cost. Thoughts?

MSRP $44,725.00 Cap Cost Reduction $0.00
    Initial Cap Cost $36,255.00 Refundable Security Dep $0.00
    Accessories $325.00 Acquisition Fee $895.00
    Cost added to Lease $0.00 First Month Payment $599.51
    Cap Cost Reductions $0.00 VT Tax $1,071.03
    Adjusted Cap Cost $36,580.00 VT Reg $60.00
    Mileage per year 15000 Title Fee $28.00
    Residual Value $18,784.50 42 % Lien Fee $0.00
    Money Factor 0.0019 Interest rate(%) 4.56 Doc Fee $55.00
    Term(months) 36

Monthly payment $599.51
    Total due at signing $2,708.54
  • Options
    Hi nyc55. The lease payment for the XC90 that you are interested in will vary depending upon what its MSRP and selling price are. I can estimates these numbers and work up a sample monthly payment for you. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2008 Volvo XC90 5 passenger AWD that has an MSRP of $44,927 and a selling price of $39,138 ($500 over invoice minus $3,000 lease cash) through Volvo Finance right now for 36 months with 10,500 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment would be around $578.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Hey nyc55. See my previous post. I think that you will probably be able to do better than the payment that you were quoted.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Here's the information that you're looking for, efreeman. Volvo Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 AWD 7 passenger with 15,000 miles per year are .00235 and 50%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 48 month lease are .00251 and 41%. I made some assumptions about the trim level of the XC90 that you want and the mileage allowance that you need. Let me know if they are not correct. When negotiating your lease, make sure to take advantage of the huge $3,000 cash incentive that Volvo currently is providing on leases of this model through Volvo Finance.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Hi steveinvt. The money factor that you were quoted looks good, but you're right the residual value looks low. Vehicles' residual values are typically not negotiable. Unless you are getting a really high mileage allowance on your lease, this residual is lower than the ones that are available through Volvo Finance right now. Perhaps the dealer is running your lease through an independent bank to take advantage of the larger cash incentives that are available for non-Volvo Finance leases.

You are being given a massive discount on the XC90 that you are interested in. There is only a spread of a little over $3,000 between this vehicle's full MSRP and its dealer invoice price, but Volvo is providing huge cash incentives for leases of the '08 XC90 through independent banks. They vary from $3,500 to $6,000, depending upon the trim level that you get. It appears as though the dealer that you are working with is applying most of the cash incentive to your truck's selling price. It is difficult to say for certain without knowing exactly which model you are getting, but this looks like a good deal to me.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    steveinvtsteveinvt Member Posts: 17
    Car man,

I also thought the residual looked pretty low, so I pushed the dealer and got the residual knocked up to 45%, which brought the payment down to $526/month. I think we are going to go for it.

Thanks for the help.

Monthly payment
    $526.01

Total due at signing
    $2,805.2
  • Options
    kitkat14kitkat14 Member Posts: 16
    I got numbers today from a PA dealer, 2008 XC90, 3.2, with Climate, Premium, Versatility, Navigation and Metallic paint, MSRP of $47320, negotiated price of $40141, $29811 buyout, MF of .00087, residual 63% all resulting in a monthly of $528 and $1594 out of pocket (1st mo., bank fee, dmv fee). How does this sound, does this work out in everyone's else calculation?
  • Options
    jsmo7711jsmo7711 Member Posts: 2
    kitkat14 i am also looking for an xc90 right now what deslership hsve you went to that seems to be a great deal
  • Options
    magstermelmagstermel Member Posts: 2
    I was told that Volvo Corp. is currently "propping up" the residual on the XC90 in order to make a 2 year lease attractive. The salesman said he doesn't know if this offer will still be good in March, which is when my Honda Pilot lease expires. I know things jump around, but does anyone know anything about this "special deal," and whether or not it's just a 1 month thing, or whether it's even a special deal at all? I don't want to double up on payments, but if this is some kind of great deal I might be willing to consider it. Pricing seems consistent with what I've seen on other posts. I live in Wisconsin.

$1300 out of pocket due at pick-up
    $574 per mo/24 mo.s
    12K miles/yr
    XC90 Premium Package
    Climate Pckg
    AWD
    Metallic Paint
    Metallic Paint
  • Options
    Chances are, you will see a residual adjustment in March.
    On a 24 mo lease, 1 point of residual is @$20-25/mo.
  • Options
    magstermelmagstermel Member Posts: 2
    Volvomax, thanks! Can you look into your crystal ball and tell me what you might expect the adjustment to be? (: Would it usually just be a point, or can it sometimes be several? Trying to weigh whether or not to do the deal end of Feb. or hold out. I know there aren't any guarantees, just curious...
  • Options
    jsmo7711jsmo7711 Member Posts: 2
    Just Leased a new 08 xc90 just wanted to know how well i did.

10,500 miles 24 month
    XC90 Premium Package
    Climate Pckg
    7 Passanger
    AWD
    Metallic Paint

$2,500 Due at signing
    $463 a month
    Leased in PA
  • Options
    wzhao68wzhao68 Member Posts: 15
    Hi there,

I'm going to trade in my 2006 Volvo XC90 (2.5; premium/3rd, 24 mo. $399/mo, 12,000m/yr, $2600 drove off 4/2006), love every bit of the car, btw, and getting a new one for another 24 month.

here are some lease quotes I got from different dealers (southern California):
    The advertised special in the region is:

$42,675 MSRP of 2008 XC90 3.2 FWD 7 Passenger (includes Premium Package, Versatility Package, and Metallic Paint)
    24 month $399 10500 miles/year, and $3769 d/o.
    My quotes are:
    1. 24 Months Lease
    12,000 Miles per Year
    $3,769 Drive-Off
    $451 per Month + plus tax
    Money Factor 0.00076

2. 24 Months Lease
    12,000 Miles per Year
    Cap $36500.00
    $1550.14 Drive-Off (incls 1st pmt/taxes/registration/doc fee)
    Mthly pmt $479.99 plus tax $519.59

3. 24 Months Lease
    12,000 Miles per Year
    $2,600 Drive-Off
    $473 + plus tax

I think the 2rd one is a better deal, has anyone seen better ones? Do they still have backseat DVD player offer? Is it true that the deal and discount will end after February?
    Thanks,

David
  • Options
    vrynicevrynice Member Posts: 22
    Does the $463 a month include tax? If so, what is the tax in PA. What dealer in PA? Sorry for all the questions, but I just got a quote from a dealer in PA. I think you did pretty good. Thank you.
  • Options
    wzhao68wzhao68 Member Posts: 15
    Hi there,
    Is 24 month lease better than 36 month lease, as far as money factor and such concerned?
    Thanks,

David
  • Options
    Crystal ball is cloudy right now.

One thing I do know is that Volvo isn't going to subsidise the cars like they did last year.
    If you can take advantage of the current program, you might want to do so.
This discussion has been closed.