Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet TrailBlazer Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jworkmanjworkman Member Posts: 27
    I have an 02 TB LT 4WD with almost 100k. At about 90k, I developed a serious, immediate transmission fluid leak. Luckily, I was at home when I noticed Lake Dexron forming under my TB. Being fairly mechanical, I inspected the problem for myself, and found that the culprit was a very burnt hole in my trans cooler line. It seems GM, in their infinite wisdom, decided to run the trans cooler line up the passenger side of the vehicle, RESTING ON THE EXHAUST PIPES! They did cover the lines with some heat resistant fabric, which apparently lasts about 90k miles. I was tempted to fix the problem with an inexpensive brass compression fitting, since the trans cooler lines aren't under considerable pressure, but the desire to not get dirty prompted me to take it to the dealer (Culberson Stowers, Pampa, TX). MISTAKE # 1. Being familiar with the service manager, ( I have worked in various auto parts store for many years) he allowed me to enter the service bay and point out the problem to the tech. The tech nodded and said this was a common problem, which led me to ask the service mananger if GM was going to take care of this obvious design flaw. Has anyone else had a service manager laugh directly in your face? The guy told me that the replacement cooler line was about 60 bucks, would take less than hour to put on, and he could have it in 2 days. I swallowed my aggravation and told him to go ahead. The part actually came in a day early, but the service manager called to inform me that the line had been redesigned, and would not mate to the OTHER line that went on to the cooler. The other piece of line would be another 60 bucks, and they could have it the next day. I told him to forget it, I would come get the TB and fix it myself with a compression fitting. He went on to inform me that they had already pulled the tranny and the crossmember, and it would cost me 400 bucks labor to reinstall and come get my truck. I explained to him that obviously GM had found a problem with the original design, had updated it, and this was GM's problem, not mine. I was completely blown off, even after talking to the General manager and threatening to call the better Business Bureau. I was also out of town, and knew I would need the TB when I got home, so I had them fix it. So anyway, those of you who are mechanically minded might crawl under your TB and see how close your Trans cooler lines are sitting to your exhaust pipes. GM might have fixed this problem in later models (mine is an 02), as the part has been redesigned. Moral of this story.....just use the compression fitting...hahaha.
    Just a couple of other minor problems on my 02 TB 4WD LT.....does anyone else's door chime stay on if you start the truck with the drivers door open? I have to turn off the ignition, switch the headlights on, listen for the chime to speed up, and then when I turn the ignition back on, the chime stops. Also, and it has only happened a few times in the last year, and always when idling in park, the engine just turns off. It always starts right back up...I just chalked it up to crummy gas. I have also experienced the 4WD light "ghosting" on...but only when in cruise on trips, it seems. I call it "ghosting", because I have never felt the transfer case actually engaging...just the light coming on. And, just within the last month, I have heard what I thought was the tranny whining...but from reading the other posts, this might be a fan problem???
  • mfusillomfusillo Member Posts: 1
    I'm dealing with the problem as we speak. Are there any recalls for this or will GM/dealership pay for the repair?
    help meeeeee!!!!!!!!!
  • baltychenbaltychen Member Posts: 50
    Thanks a million. I'll try to do it myself. :)
  • hobbitdmbhobbitdmb Member Posts: 1
    Water pump replaced (not under warranty) at 44,000 miles, wrecked the serpentine belt, 7 days later, had to have catalytic converter replaced (under warranty). Was losing power... said it was clogged. That was at 45,000 miles. All on vacation of course! Just FYI!
  • rmt201rmt201 Member Posts: 1
    This really is bull hockey...........why would they GLUE glass to the hinge?!!!! We are having this problem, and my husband who knows how to do things correctly has used 3 or 4 types of adhesive now to repair this hatch. The dealer states they cannot get the kind of adhesive that they use at the factory. I too think this is faulty design.....why should I have to shell out $1200.00 when GM uses GLUE to hold the thing together at the factory. This just amazes me! And TICKS me off, too!
  • wheeler57wheeler57 Member Posts: 2
    THE RPM HAND RUNS AT AROUND 5500 TO 7000 EVEN AT AT 20 MPH BUT MOTOR DOES NOT REV UP ANY.ALSO WHEN TRAILBLAZER IS SHUT OFF RPM HAND WILL ONLY DROP TO 4 TO 5000 RPS & STAY THERE.ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED.OTHER THAN RPM HAND THER IS NOT ANYTHING WRONG WITH WAY CAR RUNS.THANKS
    1ST. TIME POSTING--NEW MEMBER
  • rmpacheco06rmpacheco06 Member Posts: 2
    I've had my Trailblazer LT for around a year. When I purchased it I complained about a knock in the engine and was notified by the dealer that nothing was wrong. It still Knocks to this day. I really think somethings wrong. I.E. transmission or fan. I got my complaint and their response in writing and tried to talk to Chevy about it. They told me to get diagnostics and get back at them. Then a few weeks after the purchase I had a problem with my exterior lighting. First my top tail light panel went and I replaced it and then I have had my headlamps burn out (meaning the harness and connectors melt completely) several times and all together have had at least 9 bulbs fixed. I asked Chevy about recalls and was told there were none and after that found out that these problems were fixed a few times before I purchased the vehicle. I now also have a problem with my A/C in which it works when it wants. Any Suggestions? Please Help Me.
  • gmfangmfan Member Posts: 188
    Anyone out there have a low pitched harmonic bass sound when braking from a speed range of 25 mph to 15 mph? The service manager blames the "boom" on the angle of the u-joint and says they will do nothing to fix it. I used to have an 02 TB (inline 6) and it never did this. I now have an 06 TB with the 5.3 V-8 motor. Any help would be appreciated. I know it is not a tranny mount and it does not do it when putting the vehicle in neutral while braking in that speed range. If you have the radio on or the A/C running you hardly notice it.
    -gmfan
  • bckareobckareo Member Posts: 3
    document everything...and get an attorney... I've had similar problems with my trailblazer, but am unable to qualify for the lemon law, because the original repairs did not occur under the original manufactor's warranty... ive had my transmission rebuilt, 4 fan clutchs, 2 times they have fixed my a/c....and ive only got 45000 miles on it...also you might want to call gm customer service and file a complaint... ive seen so much bad things about trailblazers on these boards, it just kills me... my car is a pos and there is nothing i can do about it. :lemon:.... also there is a gm document(bulletin) that my dealer provided me with, that just states that this is a normal problem for trailblazers, bs i know, you might want to take a look at it, it might help your case....document id#1765088, if you need me to send it to you, let me know
    Ive had similar problems, it is the fan clutch... it does not come up on diagnostic tests... but gm knows what is going on, they are just playing stupid, thats what they did to me... there is a document out that states that this is a normal condition for trailblazers and in the new models they have change the kind of fan clutch they manufacter, it states that the condition occurs if vehicle is parked at an incline, that vehicle reving is normal for the first 3 mintues that it is running, which is bs, this is a unacceptable stand the gm is taking on this problem... i have gotten my fan clutch replaced 4 times, and transmission rebuilt once, and it all started at 42000 miles... so document everything, make a claim with gm customer support... i dont know what else to tell you, becuase I am in the same boat, I have a copy of the gm document that states that this is a normal condition and for the techs not to repair it, if you would like it, please let me know...good luck
    Dont buy a Trailblazer, I have a 2003, with 45000 miles on it.. ive have already had to get the transmisson rebuilt, replace the fan clutch 4 times, and there is still problems... the fan clutch defect in this car makes it sound like the engine is reving really loud, sorta sounds like im driving a trash truck... and gm ssays its a normal occurance for trailblazers...gm states that it happens when turning on the car and for 3 mintues after that, and then it should disingage, mine doesnt, it does it everytime that i accelerate, also gm states that if you park the car at an incline it will do this, if its hot out it will over heat, it also effect the rate at which you accelerate... i would never buy a gm again...
  • staceypstaceyp Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2006 Trailblazer in March. Someone pulled in front of me and I did not have time to stop. The front of my Trailblazer was smashed in. My passenger and I are suffering from neck, back pains, and plenty bruises (from the seat belt). With all of this my air bags did not deploy. Does anyone know of anyone else who has had this problem?
    Following up to see if anyone has ideas. It only does it "D" (drive) position and does not do it in "3" position. Any help would be seriously appreciated.
    Regards,
    Gmfan
  • ron_mron_m Member Posts: 186
    Ive had similar problems, it is the fan clutch... it does not come up on diagnostic tests... but gm knows what is going on, they are just playing stupid, thats what they did to me... there is a document out that states that this is a normal condition for trailblazers and in the new models they have change the kind of fan clutch they manufacter, it states that the condition occurs if vehicle is parked at an incline, that vehicle reving is normal for the first 3 mintues that it is running, which is bs, this is a unacceptable stand the gm is taking on this problem... i have gotten my fan clutch replaced 4 times, and transmission rebuilt once, and it all started at 42000 miles... so document everything, make a claim with gm customer support... i dont know what else to tell you, becuase I am in the same boat, I have a copy of the gm document that states that this is a normal condition and for the techs not to repair it, if you would like it, please let me know...good luck

While this loud roaring noise due to a poor fan clutch design may be "a normal condition for TrailBlazers", it most definitely is not a normal condition in the automotive world as a whole. There's no way to describe to you how many Chevy and GMC pickup trucks and SUVs I have heard make this noise. Although I didn't particularly care for the fan clutch-related, loud roaring noise with my 2002 TrailBlazer LTZ, that wasn't the worst part of the problem. There is a temporary loss of horsepower with many GM pickup trucks and SUVs when this fan clutch issue rears its ugly head, and it can actually be dangerous at certain times. Like when you need to accelerate to get on the freeway, pull out into an interesection, etc.

It's pretty sad how long that this problem has been present in many, many GM pickup trucks and SUVs. A good friend of mine has a 1996 Blazer LS that does the same thing. Another friend's 1999 2-door Blazer LS had the exact same problem.

Good luck to you guys!

Ron M.
  • bbarcenbbarcen Member Posts: 3
    I love my '02 TB. I have heard many horror stories, fortunately my TB hasn't given me any problems, yes the A/C does take a while to get cold, it shakes but only when my hubby is driving & hits 100mph (which he doesn't do anymore). The only problem I am having is it makes a clicking noise in the ignition area when i start it up. It only did it once in a while like a month ago, but now it is happening every time. What could it be?
  • bbarcenbbarcen Member Posts: 3
    I forgot to add..My TB has 52,00 miles on it. I have seen postings where a few people have said there Transmission blows out @ 57,000....my hubby says to sell it and upgrade...I love my TB,but don't want the aggravation...Is it time to let go?
  • keith111keith111 Member Posts: 1
    Hope someone can help me out. I have a 2002 TB and the heater/AC blower will not work on setting 1,2,or 3. Works fine on 4 and 5. It sounds like a relay or fuse to me but cannot find anything. Any suggestions??

Thanks
    Keith
  • manicommanicom Member Posts: 2
    What turned out to be your problem? Our 2002 TB has an air conditioning problem in that the temperature display (showing the outside temp) will start going down to -26 degrees several degrees at a time. Once it drops below about 40 degrees, the air conditioning stops working. Sometimes, you can keep turning it off and on and it will eventually start getting the temp back towards normal. However, it won't go to the correct outside temp ever now. We're in OK and we've been having over 100 degree temps every day. This is very inconvenient to say the least. Anyone know what the problem is here? HELP!!
  • jagerheadjagerhead Member Posts: 1
    Me too! I have the very same problem. Has anyone come up with a solution? I think if it is a bad sensor then repacing it should be the fix. I would think the computer is sensing the outside air temp and telling the compresor to come on or not.
    Do you know where the sensor is located.
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    The air bags won't necessarily deploy in a front end crash. It depends on the forces involved whether the accelerometer will send the signal for deployment or not. I don't know your particular situation, but having a bruise from the shoulder harness is fairly normal in front end collisions.
    My wife ran into the back of someone at a fairly low speed (< 20mph) and the airbags didn't deploy, but there was enough damage that I had to replace the impact bar behind the front facsia.
    Your blower motor resistor has probably gone out. I'm not 100% sure where it is on the TB but it's a safe bet it's in the blower plenum before the heater core but after the blower. Has anyone else had to change it? It seems to be a fairly common problem across the board. Over in the Grand Am and Alero forums it comes up all the time. It's also possible it's the switch, but less likely.
  • manicommanicom Member Posts: 2
    Well, the sensor is not sensing the correct outside temp! It's over 100 degrees here and the inside temp will only go up to about 80 degrees max and then for no apparent reason, it starts dropping. It'll drop all the way down to negative 27 degrees. Of course, then the air conditioner goes off. The air conditioner won't go on at all unless that temp reading is at least 50 degrees. I was sort of wanting to know what it might be before taking it to the shop to be fixed. Sometimes if you have a general idea of what it might be, you're less likely to get taken for a ride by a mechanic! I haven't had any trouble with the TB so far; this is the first. Wonder what it will do in cold weather? The heater should stay on all the time - right???
    If you hear of any fix on this, I'd appreciate knowing. Thanks.
  • wsg1wsg1 Member Posts: 1
    I hope you got your problem solved long ago. In case it still happens, I recently had a similar problem with my 2004 TB. It stalled and all the electrical guages were jumping and clicking even though the engine wasn't running. When I had it towed in it worked fine for the dealer and then for a day after I got it back. It happened again, and fortunately they were able to identify the problem as a faulty ignition switch. It now runs well once again.
  • katkinskatkins Member Posts: 1
    I have a 02 trailblazer 4wd. I have it about 2 years and it has 70000 miles on it. About 10000 miles ago i noticed a huge loss in power and I cant seem to figure out what is wrong. I have put a K&N filter in it, replaced the plugs, replaced the fuel filter and still hasnt regained the power loss. Can Anyone help me? I am also having a rattling from underneath the car...i can only hear it when I dont have my foot on the gas. I think it is a heat shield. Thanks for the help!
  • michaelcozensmichaelcozens Member Posts: 23
    You might check your cat converter-I had a Dodge with a 318 that had higher mileage and there were lots of noises coming from underneath the car- I thought the Tranny was going. Turned out it was the cat converter-your comments on rattling under the car rings true to what happened there- I also had a cat go on a buick century and it lost power also.
    Hope this helps! Good Luck!
  • funnymanfunnyman Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar rattle come from underneath my 03 Trailblazer a few years ago... only heard it while coasting and/or turning. Turned out to be an improperly placed cable of some kind, something to do the A/C if I recall. Anyway this cable would brush up against something it wasn't supposed to and created the rattle. Took the dealer a couple of visits to figure it out.
  • michaelcozensmichaelcozens Member Posts: 23
    An afterthought, if you do have catalytic problems it should be covered under dealer warranty until 80k!It would be worthwhile to check!
  • gnajjargnajjar Member Posts: 3
    I also have a 2005 Trailblazer which has not only stalled but hesitates when you try to accelerate. I brough the truck to the dealer and they claim they ran complete diagnostics and nothing is wrong! BS. I am bringing the truck to another dealer this Monday, August 21. There is something definitely wrong and I will not give up until this is fixed. I'll keep you informed.
  • gevans17gevans17 Member Posts: 27
    My 02 TB had huge power loss and roaring noise fromm engine compartment. These vehicles have problems with the fan clutch wearing out prematurely. Mine died at 36,000 miles
    Cost 550 to replace.
  • gevans17gevans17 Member Posts: 27
    happens way too often, but of course, GM doesnt agree

mine died at 36,000 miles
  • r13570r13570 Member Posts: 4
    My 02 TB had a fan clutch go bad @ 40K miles.
    Does sound like a common problem with this part?
    I&#146;m having another problem with the TB that I&#146;ve not figured out yet.
    The vehicle has noise behind the dash that sounds like a stepper motor or something?
    My wife says it sounds like click, click, click etc…..
    This sound is intermittent, but annoying when it&#146;s there & never stops until vehicle is shut off. &#147;We will turn the fan on high to drown out the noise&#148;.
    Have any of you experienced this problem?
    Looking for a fix, Thanks
  • adravenadraven Member Posts: 1
    i have the same kocking noise on my 2005 TB.
    Ours did that but it wasn't constant. It would come and go. There's a service bulletin out for the mode door actuator in the fresh/recirculate air control.
    We had it changed under warranty. I don't know if that's your specific problem or not. It was pretty loud when it happened.
    Thanks...door actuator for fresh/recirculation air control.
    Good place to start trouble shooting. Will get out of AC auto mode and switch between fresh & recirculation modes to see how actuator motor performs/sounds. :)
    Might check to be sure it is not the tachometer instrument cluster making the noise. I had a 2002 TB that did this- I never got it fixed because mine was not that noticeable, but if you have one that is bad enough, it could drive you crazy. Try this:, with the car running at idle in park, press on the gas to see if the noise goes away. Good luck.
    Gmfan
  • msbodinemsbodine Member Posts: 3
    A few months back I read on another TB forum that a service writer told an owner that the fan clutch will tick before it fails. Mine has been "ticking" for about 40,000 miles :confuse: And still has the "roaring" sound after about the same amount of miles. I will just have to put up with it until I have the funds to take care of it or maybe GM will have a recall? ;)
  • gnajjargnajjar Member Posts: 3
    I took my TB in last Monday for the same reason this time to a different dealer who found nothing wrong.

Within 1 hour the dealer called me back saying the O2 Sensor was bad. Suggest this to the dealer. I am not a mechanic by any means but I did research on this and it makes perfect sense that this would cause the stalling and hesitation.

Good Luck
  • bigbassguy1bigbassguy1 Member Posts: 10
    I'd bet lots of money its the O2 sensor. My 2002TB did that intermittently also. Every time I took it to the dealer, they said nothing was wrong. They did re program the CPU which first time did not save (unknown reason) then it did the next time. Then a few weeks later I was driving and it violently sputtered and erratically idled then stalled a bunch of times. Finally after reading tons of posts on this site and others on the web, I took it back and had them replace the sensor. Funny thing is that they said it the sensor was so corroded that it took them 2 days to get it out! Now, at least 6 months later, no problem, however the SES light has been on since. I had it reset, but just comes back on again. I figured I'd deal with light as long as the truck ran okay!

Hope this helps.
  • trailblazer1trailblazer1 Member Posts: 18
    My 02 TBLT has over 150,000 miles. An engine noise problem has recently surfaced after I run the car for 45 minutes or longer and at constant speeds of 70 mph. When I eventually slow down and come to a stop or slower rate of speed the engine taps so loudly that you would think that the engine is running 3 quarts low on oil. When resuming normal in town driving the engine tapping noise disappears and stays gone.

Has anyone else had this same or similar problem?
  • madmomtb02madmomtb02 Member Posts: 6
    You said "when idling in park, the engine just turns off. It always starts right back up...I just chalked it up to crummy gas." Did you ever figure it out for sure? I just bought (and regretted doing so even before finding this message board!) a 02Trailblazer LT. I hate it! In the parking lot of the dealer it was ok, though I didn't care for the interior cosmetically. Then as soon as we drive it home, you can feel a strange vibration, almost grinding but not quite; A random ticking in the dash; and then last night, IT DIED! We drove it about 100 miles earlier in the day and after returning from dinner, we started it up-normal-then it just shut off. My hubby & I looked at each other and immediately said uh-oh. It started back, but it happened two more times, ultimately dying out completely. We can't figure it out! Could it really be chalked up to bad gas?

Also, we took it to a dealer for a diagnostic about a week ago and found it needed ac service, fan clutch, motor mounts, and the exhaust pipe is bent-dealer estimated at least a $1,000 repair for the exhaust alone, altogether more than $2600!!! We took it to a local business and he said that the fan clutch was fine, and the only thing wrong with ac was a serpentine belt (replaced for $83!) but now with all this, I am thinking I made the worst decision of my financial life!!!

ANY advice would be great! :cry: :confuse: :lemon:
    Well, I haven't had that problem since I started regularly using a fuel cleaner additive ( Lucas brand fuel system tune up...most of your better parts stores will stock it), so I am assuming that it was bad gas. Also, apparently the TB is very sensitive to bad fuel....recently, on a 900 mile trip, of course...300 miles into my trip, the Service Engine Soon light came on, right after I had filled up. While the SES was on, my cruise would not operate! Finally, after I located a parts store close to the interstate and got some additive, my light went off and my TB resumed normal operation. Until the next fill up....within 5 miles the light came back on and my cruise quit! But, that was about a month and a half ago, and since then I have had no troubles.
  • madmomtb02madmomtb02 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks...will send hubby out on an additive mission! :)
    another suggestion....I didn't see how many miles your TB had, but a minor tune up might also be in order. GM uses platinum plugs that are "supposed" to last 100k miles, but I changed mine at about 87k and it helped a lot. And, while you've got the air intake snorkel off, invest in a 3 dollar can of throttle body cleaner (make sure it is safe for fuel injection!!)and clean the butterfly on your throttle body. Tell your hubby to leave the TB running, and it is a simple process to open the butterfly and spary clean all the carbon and junk off of it. A little note on the plugs....02 TB use a different plug than all the others, and a l;ot of parts stores do not stock it. THEY ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE WITH NEWER YEAR MODELS!!! Call your parts store ahead of time and make sure they have them, and don't let a lazy parts dude talk you into buying plugs for a newer year model. Trust me, been there.
  • sweetsoul5sweetsoul5 Member Posts: 1
    The A/C is working just fine so is the heat, but the floor board on the passenger side is soaked. Does anyone have any ideas hoping to be able to fix it with out spending a fortune. We were thinking heater core but i dont think so and the fluid that is in the carpet is clear so any ideas please let me know. Thanks alot
    In my opinion the drain hose to the condenser area is clogged. (usually leaves or trash)
    Drain hose/tube is located on lower passenger firewall inside engine compartment.
    Use wire or air (low pressure) to unplug.
  • gmoudygmoudy Member Posts: 67
    I just had this happen to me last week along with the Service Engine Soon lite. The dealership found out that it was the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor. Thank goodness I have the GMPP or it would have cost me over $400 to have it repaired. Just thought I would let you all know.
  • djshawtydjshawty Member Posts: 1
    My battery went dead on my 03 Trailblazer and was replaced with a new one. It starts fine, but the truck will not shift into gear. The dealer confirmed that if the battery dies the car will not go into gear. Has anyone ever experienced this before? :confuse:
  • nicole26nicole26 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a new 2006 Trailblazer LT. It's the first SUV and Chevy I've ever owned. I only have about 220 miles on it now. Since the first day I drove it home and continuing, there has been a very high pitched electronic tone occurring. It seems to start after I've been driving the truck approximately 15-30 minutes and gets started when I brake and it will continue for several seconds after I've let up on the brake and am pushing on the gas. It stops for awhile and then starts again the next time I brake. It's definitely not the squeal of bad brakes. I took it back this week to the service department and I got the impression the service person thought I was crazy even though 4 other people driving with me also heard it. Of course, the service department couldn't replicate the sound. I was told there is a breaking in period and should not be too concerned until about 5000 miles! I really don't think this is going to go away after 5000 miles, it's very loud from the outside of the vehicle.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I'm wondering if it doesn't have something to do with the Stabilitrack system. No other warning lights go off but the manual mentions there being different sounds during this system being in use....which I don't know why it would be going off as I'm only doing regular braking. Any help would be appreciated, sorry for the length of this message but the noise is driving me crazy. Next stop is a new dealership and dragging someone from the service department to ride with me.
    Is it possible it's the fuel pump? If you stand behind ours or off to the side near the back you can hear it.