Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet TrailBlazer Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• taken2taken2 Member Posts: 2
    I took delivery of my new 2006 vehicle on Monday at 6pm by Wednesday at 6pm the car began idling roughly and the engine light started flashing. The dealer said not to drive it and have it towed to the dealership. The dealership has had it for two days already without fixing the problem. May be it will be fixed next week, may be not. They now have had the car longer than I did. They tell me water must have gotten into the engine due to inclement weather and interfered with the valves. The sales department says its the service department's problem. The service department says its GM's fault. All I know is that I have a new car with a $30,000 price tag that lasted 48 hours. This is my fourth blazer, and it will definitely be my last one. GM and its dealerships wonder why no one is buying their cars. What a disgrace. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    The diagnosis they're giving you doesn't make any sense. Contact GM customer service.
  • taken2taken2 Member Posts: 2
    Burdawg, thanks for the advice. The dealers'explanation didn't make much sense to me either; it sounded like alot of doublespeak. You pretty much confirmed that I am getting a run around.

As for Chevrolet's customer service; I haven't had much luck with them either. I contacted them two days ago and have yet to hear a word back from them.

My advice to anyone considering a trailblazer or any GM vehicle is to reconsider.
  • ron_mron_m Member Posts: 186
    I took delivery of my new 2006 vehicle on Monday at 6pm by Wednesday at 6pm the car began idling roughly and the engine light started flashing. The dealer said not to drive it and have it towed to the dealership. The dealership has had it for two days already without fixing the problem. May be it will be fixed next week, may be not. They now have had the car longer than I did. They tell me water must have gotten into the engine due to inclement weather and interfered with the valves. The sales department says its the service department's problem. The service department says its GM's fault. All I know is that I have a new car with a $30,000 price tag that lasted 48 hours. This is my fourth blazer, and it will definitely be my last one. GM and its dealerships wonder why no one is buying their cars. What a disgrace.

I wouldn't buy that diagnosis for one minute. They're full of it my friend.

My 2002 TrailBlazer's transmission failed during a trip to the mountains when the vehicle only had 9,000 miles on it, so I can certainly identify with what you're experiencing at the moment. That was my last GM SUV. My previous SUV, a 1999 Blazer also purchased new, was overall a better vehicle from a reliability standpoint. The transmission in the 1999 Blazer also started slipping some at about 20,000 miles on the odometer. Admittedly, the only time it seemed to do it was after driving it for about 2-1/2 to 3 hours. But this was still unacceptable to me. I traded it in on the 2002 TrailBlazer LTZ and went through the most 'auto-related' stressful period of my entire life.

Ron M.
    You need to keep pressing your point. Keep records of who you talk to, when, and what they are going to do. If they don't move on it then you have data to escalate it. GM, like all other large corporations, acts slowly but usually comes around if you keep after them.
    BTW, or 02 TB has been one of the best vehicles we have ever owned, and our Chevrolet dealer service also.
  • cwbytaz1cwbytaz1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 TrailBlazer LS with a 6-disc Bose. Each time I try to burn an MP3 CD to play in it, it never works. Does anybody else have this problem? Are there any tips for a program to use?
    Thanks. :(
  • madmomtb02madmomtb02 Member Posts: 6
    NOW, a few days later, once again my TB is broke down in front of my house...the ac comes on, radio, lights, horn works...but absolutely nothing happens with the engine. Our neighbor and my husband looked at it and deduced that it must be the alarm. We are once again going back to the mechanic. luckily, I trust him. Is anyone else having the same problem? :mad: :mad: :confuse: :confuse: :sick:
  • mstrailblzer03mstrailblzer03 Member Posts: 1
    Wow and I thought I had troubles. My 03 Trailblazer's engine has been stalling out for 2 weeks and the dealer can't seem to figure it out. I've got 57,000 miles on it and I'm about to trade this sucker in, it's my last GM vehicle I swear. I can't believe the trouble you've had in oly 139 miles. Keep pushing with GM's service dept and I hope you get it fixed soon. I've threatened to become the poster girl for a GM sucks campaign myself if they don't get mine fixed.
  • gnajjargnajjar Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 TrailBlazer with under 15K miles. The truck used to hesitate on acceleration and three times it completely died while driving - although it would start right up again. I took the truck to the dealer I bought it from. They had it for a day and said they found nothing. A week later the same thing happened, it just died while driving. No warning signs, nothing. This time I took the truck to a different dealer. Within an hour they called me informing me that the O2 Sensor was kinked. Believe me I am not mechanically inclined but the O2 Sensor has a hose that regulates the O2 and Gas flow. Being that the line was kinked the mixture was off, thus causing the truck to hesitate and eventually die. It has been well over a month since they replaced this O2 sensor and the truck has been running fine.

I would suggest this to your dealer. Secondly, I am from NJ were the lemon laws are pretty strict. I called my local office and they suggested contacting GM directly, which I did, by certified mail, being very explicit in my details, including the name of the dealer and how long they have had the truck. You have to protect your behind. Keep records of all occurences and times you brought the truck in for the same problem.

Believe me, I know what your going threw. The second time the truck stalled I had my two kids with me and I just made it over railroad tracks! Thank God no train was coming, but you have to think, what if.

Good luck!
  • ejurikejurik Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys. I have trailblazer 04 (purchased new). First 2 years and 50,000 miles - now problem. After that:
    Engine start stoling now and then, few weeks later engine dyed on the highway 65MPH while towing the boat! Imediately lost of power stering, power breaks! I managed to stop and after few atempt started again and get lackily get home with constant power jump and few stoling. Went to dealer twice: first they replaced crank shaft actuator $550, next day(car stoling again)they replaced o2 sensor=$150! After that no more stoling but: 1 week later while changing the speed of the ac/heating fan it stop working and the same moment hapen foloving: ABS light-on;brake light-on;4WD light-on; cruise control not working; ilumination of driver door butons not working; unable to change the direction of air blow. NOW - after 10 -20 minutes of driving everything goes to normal until i stop and restart the car!!!??? I have been in service with this problem about 5 times, spent $1,250 (replaced 1 computer module)and theproblem is stil there???!!!
    Thas enyone have any idea what to doo? Please and Thank you.
  • sgoldmansgoldman Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Trailblazer with 35,000 miles on it. Whenever I stop to get gas, it won't start again. It takes several tries to get it started. The dealership has had it 3 weeks in a row, and cannot find the problem.. This evening, the service tech actually went with me to get gas, and witnessed the problem firsthand. They are calling the head of GM on Monday, to try and find a solution for the problem. This is by far not the only problem I have had with this vehicle! Has anyone had a similar problem?
  • madmomtb02madmomtb02 Member Posts: 6
    how do u change the spark plugs on a 02 trailblazer
  • terexterex Member Posts: 26
    Hit your OnStar blue button and ask for them to run diagnostics on your vehicle. Explain you what your are experiencing. Perhaps they can pin-point the issue before you return to the dealership.
  • michaelcozensmichaelcozens Member Posts: 23
    I have 59K on mine and last weekend lost power, it kept running but could not keep speed. Had to have it towed in. Onstar was helpful! The problem is the O2 sensor and the Cat Converter is plugged. The coverter is covered under the federal rules for 8yr/80k. Only one problem, no cat converters available in the country anywhere!! :sick: Asked for help from GM for a rental with no luck. I estimate from what the dealer is telling me, it could be up to 3 weeks before they get a converter! Has anyone been having trouble like this? It seems that this should not have happened so soon! Any experiences anyone can share, especially dealing with GM on this is appreciated.
  • swandudeswandude Member Posts: 1
    You are the man! I had no clue how to change this, followed your instructions step by step - done! Thanks :shades:
  • erineasterineast Member Posts: 1
    My car is doing the same thing - it will start if it's been sitting for the night or day, if you turn it off to get gas, go into a store or run back inside it just clicks. The lights, radio, windows work, but the windows roll up in slow motion. I took to the Chevy dealer where I bought and they thought the fuel system needed cleaning, I picked it up and still wont work. Now they think it's the starter, but no error codes are showing. It will not act up at the dealership.... My car is not under warrantly any longer, has 41K miles. They or I don't know what to do. It's a 2004.
    Your symptoms point to an electrical problem, and if it was older I would suspect the battery. Has the battery been checked? If it's OK then perhaps something in the battery rundown protection circuit...When you said that the windows work slowly when it occurs sure points to low voltage, but the battery should only be a few years old, so hummm....One thing, the Delco batteries have been known to leak out of the side terminals, which could possibly cause your symptoms if the electrolyte is at a minimum level. It's not hard to tell, it will leave white spots on the ground under the front near the battery, and if it's been going on for a while there's bound to be paint loss and rust under the battery tray.
  • jworkmanjworkman Member Posts: 27
    To eliminate the battery as a problem, you need a load test done. Fortunately, ant reputable parts store or repair shop usually performs this test for free. This test uses a small machine (usually handheld, but there are some larger models on roll-around stands) and tests the battery voltage, but also how the battery reacts when an electrcal load is placed on it...i.e. it simulates a battery's condition as the starter is engaged, or windows are being rolled up or down. I have a lot of experience with this type of test, and I have seen batteries with 12.5 to 14 volts (completely charged) totally fail under load. Sounds like that might be your problem. Age has little to do with it...I have seen brand new batteries right off the shelf fail on the first test. Remember, that battery might be new in the vehicle, but chances are it has set on a warehouse shelf for months or years, slowly draining, and was probably not properly charged and tested before being installed. If your battery DOES fail a load test, don't just throw it away. Request whoever tests the battery that they put it on a slow charge, perhaps overnight. Just because a battery shows a "full charge", it can be what is called a "surface charge", which dissipates very quickly, and your battery needs a "deep charge" which can only occur when charged at a VERY low voltage for an extended period...i.e. overnight at just a few volts. Hope this info is helpful.

James
  • jbolingjboling Member Posts: 1
    Hey Folks seems like this issue has been visited before, so I am hoping someone has come up with some solutions. First thing noticed day after purchasing 04 Trailblazer, is that the CLOCK will not stay set. Once in awhile it may suprise u and stay set between starts, but very rare. 2nd issue is sometimes it doesnt want to start, just click click and then it starts right up like the battery is fully charged. Sometimes it doesnt start, just clicks a few times. We love the truck, but this is making it undependable. Its been in the shop 3 times now, with no answers or solutions. Any ideas? Im pretty sure its losing power somewhere somehow, due to the clock reset, and not starting sometimes.

Thanks
  • curious_gearscurious_gears Member Posts: 60
    ok, i know this is in the blazer department, but im going to psot my problem here becasue there isnt a problems thingy form the bravada, and these share the same..everything. so here goes...i noticed a while ago that, every once in a while, i would hear this hissing noise, but it lasts a split second. the sound is coming from the front passengers side. it only does this when driving for a while, normally a few seconds after i hit a bump, and on the freeway every few seconds. its really obnoxious and i swear the car is gonna blow up...not really. any ideas? p.s ive checked all the hoses and there isnt any leaks
  • jcsimslvjcsimslv Member Posts: 2
    I had a tapping in my steering column at start-up which was later followed by a battery failure (but battery was nearly 5 yrs old) which I replaced. Now the tapping is intermittent and comes sometimes at start-up other times when turning the corner or just going down the road. I was thinking it was the alternator but my amp gauge reads positive constantly. Any ideas or suggestions on troubleshooting? This is on a 02 Trailblazer. :confuse:
  • bbarcenbbarcen Member Posts: 3
    It sounds like the same problem i had with my '02. I took it to the dealer, turned out to be the mode actuator...something to do with the A/C controls. The cost was supposed to be about $600 but fortunately I purchased a 7 yr. warranty with the TB so I only paid $100 deductible....Hope this helps.... ;)
    I can ditto that, sounds the same as ours. The mode door actuator is the fresh/recirculate door which is electrically driven through a small gaerbox.
  • falcons15falcons15 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I have a 02 Trailblazer and the 4WD suddenly went out, meaning I cannont turn the knob to engage, and it does not attempt to change into 4WD. It was working one night, then the next morning the indicator light was out and vehicle was in two wheel drive. I checked the fuses and found no issue there. Any other ideas? Thanks!
  • fatz55fatz55 Member Posts: 1
    I have been experiencing a loud whinning humming noise under the hood when I first start up the truck. It sounds like it might be a power steering problem. When I get up to around 35-40 MPH, the noise lessens. Has anyone else had this problem and is there a solution. I have a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer with around 34K miles.
  • trailblazer1trailblazer1 Member Posts: 18
    I have the same engine whinning noise but as of yet I have not had it diagnosed. The noise is more noticeable when driving at a low speed. I also thought it was the Power Steering but that is not where the whinning is coming from. Sounds more like a vacuum leak coming from the exhaust system because as you accelerate the whinning noise increases with intensity.

Anyway, I have a 2002 TB LT so it seems this whinning noise will occur on any model. If someone else has a resolution or this similar noise problem I hope they post it also.
  • tb2006tb2006 Member Posts: 1
    I get a shock whenever I get out of my 2006 trailblazer. This started happening even before it started getting cold. Any ideas?
  • trailblazer1trailblazer1 Member Posts: 18
    My 2002 does the same and has since I've owned it.

And it only does it when the weather gets colder.

Let me know what you find out.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    This sounds like a static electricity problem. Does it happen only when exiting from the driver's door or from any door on the vehicle? If it only happens when exiting from the driver's door it may be something as simple as changing the floor mat. Good luck.
    This is nothing new. It's common during dry weather when static charges build up easily. Try keeping a hand on a metal surface when entering/exiting, it helps to ground you to the vehicle and drain the charge away.
  • tutetute Member Posts: 1
    My 02 Trailblazer has the same problem. Have you found any solution? thanks....
  • bc10bc10 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me if there is a fuse for DS power, heated, light sensative mirrors? The heating part stopped working and winter is coming. I have checked the connections and there is power getting to the connections, so I'm not to hopeful that it's a fuse problem. I do know these mirror are expensive, so I thought I would start there. Thanks
  • briankruszebriankrusze Member Posts: 10
    It sounds like a bad alternator or alternator belt...it only happens when its a damp wet morning though...of course when I took it in they could find nothing wrong...any suggestions?
  • jworkmanjworkman Member Posts: 27
    If there is power going to the connections, then it is not a fuse problem. You didn't state what year or make you had, and yes, those mirrors are expensive, and so is the labot to put them on. I would suggest buying an ice scraper, if you don't want to spend the money.
  • notvuvnotvuv Member Posts: 1
    I bought a used 05 TB and had it for less than a month when the front tire started to wear uneven and it was making a niose. I took it to the dealer and told them of the problem. They realigned it,[when I asked if it was off, they didn't really come out and say it was] gave my 2 new front tires and now after 2 months it's doing it again. My guess it's something else. But what? Anybody have this prroblem also?? :confuse:
  • mookie14mookie14 Member Posts: 252
    I have a 03 tblazer with a borla exhaust 91000 miles and mine do the exact same thing you are describing. I am at a wits end on what to do. 1.The exhaust is not covered even if it was a gm product its a borla last 4 life huh? My theory is the Throttle or like you said vac lines or hoses its good to know even with a aftermarket exhaust someone else has the same problem without a borla on it help help Me out if you find a soulution i hope its the vac lines. I have gmpp seeing that my warranty expires 7-07 plus i have replaced the the control arm again i have replaced man like rear links several times over front also i just bought some moogs they solved the problem. This auto is simply put CRAP!!! I am hoping i can go until 12-07 and then i will just get rid of it i will have a yr left i will just roll over some debt its not worth it the headaches. Just imagine WITHOUT!! the warranty it does not look good do it let me know what you find out.
  • tomcincytomcincy Member Posts: 5
    I've also had a few electrical problems with my Trailblazer, the most recent being the headlamp bulb assembly melting which I've just come from the garage to see if I can find any info about. Have you continued to have this problem? Or how did you fix?
    I also had a problem with the fan control on my A/C. It started with the low speeds and ended with only the number 5 speed working. I finally had a mechanic friend help trace the problem back to a resistor located behind/under the glove box. The entire panel had pretty much fried. I replaced it with a new factory part (which they had redesigned, which tells me they knew of this problem)and now it's working fine, on all speeds.
    If anyone can help with the headlamp problem I'd greatly appreciate.
    thanks
    Did you ever figure this out? I've just encoutered the same problem.
    thanks
    I repaired these long ago. I just went to the local big box auto supply (Pep Boys for me) where they have a lot of those "fix it" odds and ends and got some ceramic replacement sockets. Some solder and shrink sleeving (with a little know-how thrown in, I don't recommend using butt splices) and the problem has been gone for three years now. Beats going to the dealer and watching them all stand around and scratch their heads.
    My opinion is that there's a dissimilar metal problem with the factory connectors which causes corrosion, which leads to resistance, which of course leads to heat.
    I ended up doing exactly what you describe. Hopefully it'll work as well as your's has! I got a little worried when I read of people going through multiple sockets but sounds like your's have held up which is reassuring.
    thanks!
  • falcons15falcons15 Member Posts: 2
    I just found out that this problem is the upper control module for the transfer case...an electrical problem. Repair cost is $550. The module is fried and has to be replaced.
  • khasseldkhasseld Member Posts: 3
    I have an 03 Trailblazer EXT LT with 40k miles on it. I have developed a squeak under the front of the car every time I hit a bump. Doesn't seem to matter how fast or slow I am going. The dealership replaced the front suspension links to the tune of $370...a week later replaced the rear suspension links (at their cost this time). A week later, the squeak is back... The dealership wants me to pay to fix whatever is wrong (not that they have a clue what is wrong). Anyone experience this issue?
  • previousamigopreviousamigo Member Posts: 130
    I get a light sounding squeak that is caused by the hood rubbing against the rubber bumpers. I have to apply lube to them about every six months.
    Does that cause the sound to sound like it is coming from under the truck?
  • previousamigopreviousamigo Member Posts: 130
    Yup. At first I thought is was the suspension but after reading posts here I applied the lube on the front bumpers and hood latch and the squeak was gone. Try it to start the elimination process... You can also turn those bumpers to raise or lower them. Check the level of the hood with the fender body.
    Seems to have worked like a charm! And the dealership seemed genuinely surprised that it was something so simple to fix! Thanks much!
  • jwoodiejwoodie Member Posts: 16
    I had same thing on my 2004 @ 48K. Dealer replaced sensor & reprogrammed "TCCM." Seems to work ok now.
  • jwoodiejwoodie Member Posts: 16
    Try moving front rack crossbar to behind rear doors. Where did you get trans cooler?
  • marty11marty11 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 04 TB same problem and nobody seems to know whats wrong with it. Did you ever find out what the problem was.
    Confused in Pa.
  • ajscott19ajscott19 Member Posts: 6
    My 2005 Trailblazer is also making a noise as I accelerate, it sounds almost as if air is escaping from a hose. I also have to replace my power steering pump. I took my Trailblazer in today and the only thing the tech said that was wrong was my power steering pump. What does not make sense to me is what would my power steering pump have to do with the noise during acceleration, as the whining occurs even when I have my car in park and I press the gas. Can anyone help? :confuse: